THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Hannelore, Faye, Tai, Veronica...Who's our next stop on the Marten & Claire Get-Together World Tour?

"Jimbo!" "Dad!" "CLAIRE?" "...Jimbo?"
- 28 (35.4%)
Steve (Commence arms race!)
- 8 (10.1%)
Pintsize & Winslow ("It's been militarized!  RUN!")
- 20 (25.3%)
"...Tai?  Are you FOLLOWING us?" "Just wanted to see which slashfic played out!"
- 23 (29.1%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2831-2835 (10 - 14 November 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 69146 times)

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Early thread just for youuuuu!  Last week's discussion got a bit frazzled after our lightning round of shocking puns, so here's a fresh jolt to start the new week!

Edit: Apologies to the mods if this is too too early.  DSL suggested starting a new thread and I just went with it without thinking.  Feel free to delete if you think proper.
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2014, 19:50 by Gladstone »
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Alternate Poll:

D'awwwww?
  • D'awww!
  • D'awwwww!
  • D'awwww...
  • D-d'awwwww?
  • Squeeeeee!
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Why is that I hear that second poll to the famous five notes from CE3K?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues

Gabby was eaten by a brontosaur.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

No, it was the tame Allosaurus that Jeph keeps in his basement.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Early thread just for youuuuu!  Last week's discussion got a bit frazzled after our lightning round of shocking puns, so here's a fresh jolt to start the new week!

Edit: Apologies to the mods if this is too too early.  DSL suggested starting a new thread and I just went with it without thinking.  Feel free to delete if you think proper.

Actually, my initial suggestion was for a split-off thread for the Great Exegesis War, but whatever.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Actually, my initial suggestion was for a split-off thread for the Great Exegesis War, but whatever.

Gotcha.  Guess I just got ahead of myself.

Edit: Sorry, that sounded self-pitying.  Didn't mean it!  Just wanted to do a poll, is all.  My sense of time is screwed up this weekend anyway.  I usually work Saturdays and take Sundays off (plus a weekday--grocery store hours, bleh), but I'm using up a vacation day tomorrow, so it feels like a Saturday night right now, which made a new thread seem a bit more appropriate?  Yeah, that sounds like a good excuse. /shifty eyes.

So...next week?  Predictions?  All I can say is, today's strip still gives me the warm & fuzzies.  If only Tai could see those two...
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2014, 20:59 by Gladstone »

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

No worries. It's modifie approved, so it's all good by me.

I'm only here for the punpuns anyway.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Clinton, whose response to the news is anything but evenhanded

Good, gooooood.  :claireface:

NemoX

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Lonely nobody

My prediction is a bit of development on Marbear's roomate situation. After Claire's and Marten's first date of course.
then a bit of Angus, tho since we haven't seen anything about Dora we might change to that.
"Wit is educated insolence" - Aristotle

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

So if Claire has never been on a date does that mean she has never.....?
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

NemoX

• Lonely nobody

So if Claire has never been on a date does that mean she has never.....?

Yes.

she has never dressed up for a first date. Hence her asking Marten about it.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Seriously? I think that the answer to the poll is Dr Ellicott-Chatham. After all, he's only tangentially connected; he'll only find out when his daughter asks him if he is working on the technology!

[Edit]
So, anyone else think that we are in a good place for a time skip in the strip? IMO, there are no loose ends that can't be effectively dealt with in retrospect. Faye and Angus is a possible exception. However, if Jeph wants to avoid excess drama and angst, he could just have Faye snuggling with a concerned Marten, who's worried about how she's holding up or her talking to a genuinely curious Tai who wants to know if IM sex is good enough.

I think that Jeph could easily skip forward a month without losing anything in story-telling terms.
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2014, 23:36 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico

Seriously? I think that the answer to the poll is Dr Ellicott-Chatham. After all, he's only tangentially connected; he'll only find out when his daughter asks him if he is working on the technology!

I disagree. Obviously he already knows since he runs the simulation.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

You're assuming she hasn't asked already. "Hey, dad?  I have two more friends who might want to have some really cute babies at some point.  How's the technology coming along?"

And before you ask how Hanners would know about Claire's status, you're assuming she hasn't acquired a DNA sample already.
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2014, 00:13 by Gladstone »

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

Claire and Hanners have barely interacted at this point, even though it seems like their personalities would be a good fit.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Bad time for a time skip. The early stages of Claire's first relationship are going to have bumps in the road that will be funny and will help describe and develop character.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage

Bad time for a time skip. The early stages of Claire's first relationship are going to have bumps in the road that will be funny and will help describe and develop character.

I have to disagree there. I think that we've learned all we can about Claire's character in a 'first date' scenario. We'll learn more when she's more comfortable around Marten and less afraid of ruining things by 'saying the wrong thing'. There is a limit to what we can learn from Claire constantly walking on eggshells and Marten having to reassure her.
~~~~

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Who's "We"?
Character development is a strength of QC. And since Jeph is the one doing the strip, maybe let him decide how to develop a character and show how that development happens? For the effort some forumoids put into telling how they want the strip to go forward, they might as well script their own strip. No shortage of illustrators out there who wouldn't mind having someone else call the shots.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

'cause you're old enough to have it embedded in your brain, like me?  :-D

Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

I have to disagree there. I think that we've learned all we can about Claire's character in a 'first date' scenario. We'll learn more when she's more comfortable around Marten and less afraid of ruining things by 'saying the wrong thing'. There is a limit to what we can learn from Claire constantly walking on eggshells and Marten having to reassure her.
There is, however, ample room for humor.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Gladstone

• The Tickler

I think that we've learned all we can about Claire's character in a 'first date' scenario. We'll learn more when she's more comfortable around Marten and less afraid of ruining things by 'saying the wrong thing'. There is a limit to what we can learn from Claire constantly walking on eggshells and Marten having to reassure her.
There is, however, ample room for humor.

Humor, d'awww, and squee.

I agree that a time-skip may be in order at some point (as April's timeline reminds us, it's been summer FOREVER), but I think another week or two need to pass in-comic before that happens.  I still want to see all the adorable and awkward moments from the early stages of Claire and Marten's relationship, but I also want to see what Angus is up to, whether or not he and Faye try to see each other before he leaves.  Then Faye needs to face being single again, there's still potential fallout from the Svenectomy, Veronica needs an opportunity or two to embarrass her son, etc.  Once those things have wrapped up a bit, we close on Sleeping Montage #3, several months go by, and Jeph opens on...Veronica and Jim's wedding?!

Nah, that would be too weird.

BenRG

• coprophage

Once those things have wrapped up a bit, we close on Sleeping Montage #3, several months go by, and Jeph opens on...Veronica and Jim's wedding?!

Nah, that would be too weird.

Things that I'd love to see:
  • Sam in a bridesmaid's costume;
  • Marten giving away the bride;
  • Henry bawling like a sentimental grandmother.
~~~~

Gladstone

• The Tickler

4. Dora the flower-girl!
5. Fuck yeah three dads!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

If Veronica and Jim get hitched Martenfriend will have the same number of dads as I did Mothers In Law.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

If Veronica and Jim get hitched Martenfriend will have the same number of dads as I did Mothers In Law.

Sounds like Marten's gonna get the better deal.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

4. Dora the flower-girl!

That sounds risky. What if it ends up being one of her goth days?

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

4. Dora the flower-girl!

"Here's your flower. May it rot and become as black as your soul."
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am

Since jeph's at a con Monday might well be a yelling bird strip. I'd like some more clairten next week for the date (squee) but then back to the other characters, there's some storylines I want to see developed more once I've been assured that the ship is going steady out of port.
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

davedig

• Plantmonster

I have to say ever since the Night of the Skritch Skratch I've felt really inspired. I've suddenly had a desire to play things a little less safe and just go for what I want. Sometime soon I want to ask a friend of mine out to see what happens. Yes I'm well aware life isn't a movie where that always works out but after so many years of just playing safe and being quiet about everything. I want to be a little more pro-active in what I feel.

So cue a post some time later when I swear off QC.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

I can't make that compute. The squeee doesn't go with that long fifth note. English being a second language to me it is possible that I'm misqueeeing.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Sounds like Marten's gonna get the better deal.

You haven't met my ex-mothers in law. One of them raised and kept horses after a world traveling career that involved work for the Houston Rocket Lab and generally being one of the coolest people I ever met. When we (the ex-wife and I) spent the night, she'd entrust me with her trusty Smith and Wesson revolver in .357 Mag "You're a Marine and your eyes will be a bit better then mine in the dark, I'm expecting you to at least wound them before I get at them with the baseball bat." One of the few good memories from my married life actually.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

I can't make that compute. The squeee doesn't go with that long fifth note. English being a second language to me it is possible that I'm misqueeeing.
This assumption is usually unspoken, but the "eeeee" of a squee can be held indefinitely... or at least as long as you still have the breath to hold the note.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Gladstone

• The Tickler

4. Dora the flower-girl!

Do you really think Veronica would object?

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

Claire and Hanners have barely interacted at this point, even though it seems like their personalities would be a good fit.

Like fire and pure oxygen.

Their anxiety attacks would feed off each other (I know Claire's only had one, but that's more than enough to know that Hanners would cause her to have more)
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Oh, I don't know... I think their anxieties would dovetail rather then collide.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

Like fire and pure oxygen.

Their anxiety attacks would feed off each other (I know Claire's only had one, but that's more than enough to know that Hanners would cause her to have more)

Nah, I don't think so.  Sure, Hannelore nearly turned the hose on Claire early on, but they later hung out with Marten and discussed library anxieties.  Granted, that's not much, but they seem to get along well.  With Claire now dating Marten and probably spending more time at his place, that should give her and Hanners more time to interact.  As long as Claire doesn't develop an obsession with little hats, everything should be fine.
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2014, 15:16 by Gladstone »

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

When everything's ok, they'll get along great, but we haven't seen how they'll react when thing aren't so good.

I see Hannelore having an attack over... anything, and Claire being the empathetic type would have one in response, then Hanners would see that and hers would escalate because she feels bad, which causes Claire's to worsen, and so on
and so on
and so on
and so on
and so on
until one (or both) passes out from exhaustion.
« Last Edit: 08 Nov 2014, 16:08 by SubaruStephen »
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Gladstone

• The Tickler

That sounds...both hilarious and terrifying.  And also awful.  Yes, awful.  I hope it doesn't happen!

//shifty eyes.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

When everything's ok, they'll get along great, but we haven't seen how they'll react when thing aren't so good.

I see Hannelore having an attack over... anything, and Claire being the empathetic type would have one in responce, then Hanners would see that and hers would escalate because she feels bad, which causes Claire's to worsen, and so on
and so on
and so on
and so on
and so on
until one (or both) passes out from exhaustion.

I don't see it. Claire and Hanners are very different when it comes to anxiety management. Claire attacks her problems. Hanners hides from hers.

That's not a value judgment.  I think they would be good for each other. Claire could learn that all anxiety doesn't demand immediate solutions, and Hanners could use a role model in cutting through the mess and taking action (without exploding in the process).

Krald

• Emoticontraindication
  • Thinking Machine

I don't think it needs a time skip per say  like 4-6 months like 1310 to 1311, as we would miss out on all the squee after all, but just let some days go by  every few panels or something

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Hanners hides from her (problem)s.
Huhwhat? Hanners has:
-- tried a "really strong" medication to overcome her social anxiety, resulting in us meeting her in the first place (really, how can you imagine the Hanners we all know and cautiously love today reacting to a strange man urinating in the sink in front of her int the wrong bathroom?);
-- insinuated herself gradually into a new social circle;
-- stood up to the Mother Creature from Hell:
-- developed and strengthened her personality by showing empathy to others (I've talked before about how her one-time role was as the catalyst to bring out the best tendencies in the other characters);
-- as part of the above, befriended Marigold and coaxed her part of the way out of a self-imposed internal exile;
-- socialized: attended parties, invited friends to a party in her father's honor, affirmed her increased -- agency? I'm not sure how to use these words -- in her conversation with Station ...
-- and on and on and on. Whatever Hanners is doing about her problems, "hiding from" doesn't describe it.

Claire's a pretty cool kid too.

NemoX

• Lonely nobody

I don't think it needs a time skip per say  like 4-6 months like 1310 to 1311, as we would miss out on all the squee after all, but just let some days go by  every few panels or something

I wouldn't be opposed to that. It is a slice of life comic but at the same time I don't see how it could hurt. Relationship montage ahoy!

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos

[Edit]
So, anyone else think that we are in a good place for a time skip in the strip?

You can't fool me. You're just trying to hasten the robot apocalypse.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Blackbird

[Edit]
So, anyone else think that we are in a good place for a time skip in the strip? IMO, there are no loose ends that can't be effectively dealt with in retrospect. Faye and Angus is a possible exception. However, if Jeph wants to avoid excess drama and angst, he could just have Faye snuggling with a concerned Marten, who's worried about how she's holding up or her talking to a genuinely curious Tai who wants to know if IM sex is good enough.

I want Faye to decide to move to New York to be with Angus, then a ten-month timeskip that ends just seconds before she knocks on Marten and Amir's door to tell Marty she left Angus and she's back in town indefinitely. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

"You burned down the whole city?"
"Not exactly. There was one wall still standing."
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues

Dora was cute with that hair. I miss that hair.
Whatever Hanners is doing about her problems, "hiding from" doesn't describe it.

The only item in that list Hannelore confronted in the moment was her mother.

Claire, on the other hand, has only run from one moment, and only been seen to plan for facing one issue. Claire seems to be unwilling to allow her stressors to lie, while Hanners generally prefers to approach hers only after careful planning.

That's in keeping with their different personalities, and the fact that Claire's anxiety isn't crippling, while Hannelore's is. Like I said, they can learn from each other.

Probably not a lot, as their fundamental issues are different. (Claire has situational anxiety. Hanners is best described by reading the DSM IV.)  But Claire could use an example of not tackling even issue as soon as it is sighted, and Hanners could benefit from seeing that acting in the moment is okay. (Most of the cases where Hanners has jumped on a stressor right away have seen her overreact.)

Neither approach is the better choice. Claire's way works for Claire. Hanners's way works for Hanners. But having an example of another way probably won't hurt.

Anyway, the don't react to the same things, so I don't see how they could reinforce negative patterns in each other.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

I think that Jeph could easily skip forward a month without losing anything in story-telling terms.

So much is happening right now. Sven/Dora, Faye/Angus, Marigold's roommate, May and Momo, and of course Claire's first boyfriend. It does not seem like a good time for a time skip to me.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up