THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 80   Go Down

Author Topic: Damn you, Willis! (Dumbing of Age)  (Read 499835 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Re: Damn you, Willis! (Dumbing of Age)
« Reply #650 on: 21 Jun 2015, 23:29 »

One can only hope she's here for Billy

Otherwise, this could get ugly real fast.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #651 on: 21 Jun 2015, 23:41 »

Even if she is there for Billie, it could end really badly. Her girlfriend, who can't legally drink, is not only drinking in the dorm but is also distributing it to other people who can't legally drink. I know they kind of fell off the wagon together, but drinking and distributing is not the kind of thing she needs to find Billie doing.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #652 on: 22 Jun 2015, 00:04 »

She probably should have looked the other way then. She knew Billie was going to be there and, let's be honest, Ruth should know that Billie is going to be the one who would bring that stuff.

Ya, it's her job, but ignoring things seemed like the appropriate thing to do here.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #653 on: 22 Jun 2015, 01:43 »

RUTH: "BROWN! Who brought alcohol to this party?"

JOYCE: "Um... I don't kn...?"

SARAH: "I think that you'll find it was Miss Billingsworth. When I went to the bathroom, everyone was sober; when I come back, there are several drunks. Wilcox says that he got it from Billingsworth and she admitted it. I want her punished."

JOYCE (hissing whisper): "Sarah! No!"

Ooh! What a dilemma for Ruth to be in! Will anyone narc Billie out? If so, will she have the courage to punish her secret girlfriend/co-dependent substance abuser? If everyone keeps the code of Dormitory Omerta and Ruth punishes all of them, will Billie be able to let everyone take lumps for her or will she 'fess up? If she does, what does Ruth do?

It's possible that Ruth will just punish everyone harshly in a flat-footed attempt to cover up her relationship with Billie (as well as an attempt to impress her girlfriend with her power over her). Not being read into the secret and in a fit of her usual civil-minded activism, Dorothy then appeals to the Board of Administrators over the unfair harshness. The resulting investigation has the potential to expose Billie and Ruth's relationship. Even if it doesn't, Ruth's harsh and excessive behaviour comes under an uncomfortable spotlight.

There is no doubt in my mind that Ruth and Billie's relationship is about to enter a serious and potentially terminal crisis. Willis has confirmed that no-one dies in DoA, so it unlikely that any crisis will reach my personal worst-case scenario - Ruth and Billie killing each other as part of their pre-exisiting 'sexy lesbian suicide pact' (their words). However, I could see Ruth losing her job over this and being put on a bus. That might lead to an interesting Billie character arc; I wonder if she might end up needing Joyce to bring her back from the brink?

I also wonder just how the Browns will react to being told by the college that Joyce has been accused of hosting a drunken Bacchanal in her dorm room! :-P

Regarding Dina and Becky, I wonder if Becky realises that she's about to become the subject of a sociology experiment. Having a relationship with Dina would take a very special mindset to get around her unique perception of humanity and social interaction. You'd never know if she really was into you or if it would be empirical experimentation. It's sort of like dating Lt Cmdr Data from Star Trek - The Next Generation!

[EDIT]
A thought that just occurred to me: Ruth either works out Becky is homeless or just throws her out on the street as it's late and the party is over. Naturally, she makes sure she doesn't have a pass-key to get back in afterwards. Sal comes back to find Joyce sitting on the steps to the hall, crying her eyes out. She asks what's going on and gets the chance to display both her soft side and her ruthless side.

Yes, I'm suggesting that Becky starts staying in Sal's room. When Ruth tells her that she can't do this, Sal points out that she wouldn't be able to if Billie wasn't 'elsewhere' every night. Would Ruth like to report this matter to the Administrators or would she let Sal do so? It might be interesting to see how Sal responds to having some blackmail to keep Ruth in her pocket. It would be interesting to see how Ruth reacts to having her position and authority so fatally and totally compromised! :-D
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2015, 02:27 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #654 on: 22 Jun 2015, 03:19 »

Can RAs really just barge into your room without being let it? I mean, yeah they have a key, but...

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #655 on: 22 Jun 2015, 03:21 »

Can RAs really just barge into your room without being let it? I mean, yeah they have a key, but...

This is Ruth we're talking about. Abusing her extremely limited authority and using intimidation to keep it under wraps is pretty much her character's identifying 'quirk'.
~~~~

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
« Reply #656 on: 22 Jun 2015, 11:29 »

What I'm used to is the RA knocking a few times and saying "RA" loudly and clearly enough for the people inside to hear them. If they're ignored after a few times of that, then they either come back later or, if the situation is serious enough (such as a loud party), then they'll say, "RA, keying in" and open the door. They usually come prepared with the master key in situations like this. But if they get ignored when there are clearly people in there, they can run downstairs to go get it and come back.

If they need back-up, then they can call other RAs (whoever's on call), the hall director, and/or the police/other relevant authority figures.

If the situation is serious enough, it probably wouldn't be wrong to barge in, but it's better to knock first. Ruth is not covering her butt very well, but most of them are afraid enough of her that they most likely won't alert anyone of the protocol breach, even if they have to talk to the police or something.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #657 on: 22 Jun 2015, 14:31 »

So I was admitted into this residential College thing my college has. Basically for my freshman and sophomore years the 90 of us were living together and taking some of our courses in small discussion based classes. We still had our major and some of our other gen ed classes in the university. But the point is we were all really tight knit and we were living in this weird sort of building that had our dorm rooms and our classrooms. The RAs were super hands off. We smoked, partied, and made noise in our room pretty much to our hearts' content. It seems like the only thing they ever took seriously was keeping the communal kitchens clean. And then junior year I moved into an apartment. So I don't really know how a normal RA behaves. But that all said, I find it incredible that there haven't been enough complaints levied against Ruth for her to be fired.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #658 on: 22 Jun 2015, 15:43 »

The RA's I had were all fairly passive (one got fired for drinking while on duty). The male RA's never seemed to care and could only do things if you forced their hand (making a ridiculous amount of noise, trashing the bathroom). Some of the girl RA's were a bit strict and would go looking for booze through people's things, but usually not. (I should note that there were only 2 male RA's when I was a freshman and 12 girl RA's. Mostly girls college).
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #659 on: 22 Jun 2015, 21:11 »

Bubbles would indicate Ethan's been drankin' too... This is a comic that makes me want the next one already, because not a damn thing has been indicated, as of yet, to where this is headed.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #660 on: 22 Jun 2015, 21:12 »

I mean, it's not about to get better, but the degree of awful is still uncertain.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #661 on: 22 Jun 2015, 21:14 »

RUTHLESS?

I think Willis was looking for an excuse to do a group panel.  Well, two of them.  Not that I'm complaining, though!  Nice to see the gang together.

Also, I realize everyone is hiding their drinks behind their backs (except Billie), but I choose to believe that Walky panicked and stuffed the entire cup in his mouth.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #662 on: 22 Jun 2015, 21:17 »

God damn it, was it necessary to waste an entire comic to tell us what we already know? (That Ruth is terrible. Fuck you, Ruth.)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #663 on: 22 Jun 2015, 23:15 »

God damn it, was it necessary to waste an entire comic to tell us what we already know? (That Ruth is terrible. Fuck you, Ruth.)

What's got MY attention is that, from just today's strip, she ISN'T that terrible. She's asserted her stance as an RA, and entered the room, but I wouldn't be surprised if that open drink in Billie's hand smelled strongly of vodka, yet she hasn't said anything yet.

It's obviously being built to her busting them for the drinking. What if she didn't? I mean, Billie would be one of those affected by her cracking down on the party, but Ruth has feelings for Billie, and anyway, Billie's got dirt on Ruth, so that could be mutually-assured destruction. On the other side, Ruth is in a dark place, as we've seen with her and Billie in their comics together.

Not saying this would happen, (Let's be real, it won't) but what if Ruth hung out for a while? Not like, getting too chummy with the group, but enough to show she's a human goshdang being in need of social support. I mean, to all except Billie, she's just a hellbeast, and we all know, she loves the fuck out of that, but what if she let the veil drop just a tiny bit?
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #664 on: 22 Jun 2015, 23:38 »

From the direction that Joyce and Dorothy are looking, I think that they are going to try to protect Billie by 'destroying the evidence'. That means one of them is going to grab Billie's cup and down the whole thing in one gulp.

I foresee an instantaneously falling-down drunk and miserably sick Joyce by the end of this arc. Maybe she'll drink, act as if she's been hit in the head with a 2 x 4 and wake up in bed with a friend and have no memory whatsoever of the intervening time! I suspect it would be Ethan who, lubricated with a little booze, lets his fratarnal affection turn (for the night at least) into full-on possessive protectiveness.

Joyce and Ethan, of course, don't know that they just slept together like innocent toddlers and Joyce is racked with guilt. Everyone makes it worse by giggling about what a show she put on before blacking out.

This let Joyce evesdrop on Jacob's 'phone conversation with Raidah about the first phase of her revenge on Sarah.
~~~~

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #665 on: 23 Jun 2015, 00:03 »

That sounds like an awful thing to wish upon someone who has been drugged and had issues around alcohol before that. If anyone was to be protective, it would probably be Sarah like before. Lack of memory was even a side effect of the drug, so waking up next to Ethan with no memory would probably flashback Joyce to when she was almost raped. Willis likes to be cruel to his characters but that all sounds needless when there's other less traumatic played off like sitcom ways to go with the story.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #666 on: 23 Jun 2015, 01:49 »

Dude, Ben, this is not the first time I find your fanfictionny trails of thought downright disturbing.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #667 on: 23 Jun 2015, 03:01 »

It's not necessarily dark; a lot would depend on how David chose to handle the characterisations. Here's what I think: I think that Joyce would trust Ethan implicitly. If she mistrusted how anyone treated anyone, she'd be more worried about how she may have treated Ethan, which could be funny or heart-warming depending on how you wrote it.

Really, though, it is just a plot device to get Joyce into Ethan and Jacob's room, hiding under Ethan's sheets and listening to Jacob plot with Raidah (or, possibly, trying to talk Raidah down from doing something self-destructive and stupid).
~~~~

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #668 on: 23 Jun 2015, 04:46 »

I meant I find disturbing how... intricate your guessfiction gets. There are dozens, even thousands of paths a story could take, yet somehow you seem to elect a particular one, and go into intricate detail how it will play out, right down to who will be hiding where at what moment despite no indication remotely supporting going into that direction.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #669 on: 23 Jun 2015, 04:55 »

Honestly it's more fan fiction than actual prediction. Not a bad thing.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #670 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:14 »

I don't see how getting a person who was drugged unintentionally black out drunk could be appropriately played off as humourous or heart-warming and then brushed off to advance a separate plot point but, hey, maybe I just get stuck on details like thinking (or at least hoping) Willis knows better than to treat attempted rape trauma so callously.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #671 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:29 »

So? If someone was posting creepy stuff about Hannelore or inappropriate stuff about Claire, it wouldn't matter if it was fan fiction or prediction.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #672 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:31 »

I'm really genuinely surprised that anyone thinks of what I post as 'creepy'. It isn't as if I'm inventing elaborate sado-masochistic sexual scenarios or something!
~~~~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #673 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:40 »

So? If someone was posting creepy stuff about Hannelore or inappropriate stuff about Claire, it wouldn't matter if it was fan fiction or prediction.
No, I'm referring to his level of detail, not the contents of his posts.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #674 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:48 »

It's being so cavalier with past character events that hold a lot of baggage in fiction and reality that's getting under my skin. It seems off that someone can think deeply enough about fanfiction/predictions to write paragraphs of detail but just throw aside years of characterisation and something huge and distressing as what happened in DoA.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #675 on: 23 Jun 2015, 06:53 »

It's obvious that this upsets you personally, so I'm not going to push this too much but I'll remind you of something: Joyce is a fictional character and she exists solely to advance the story, whatever that is (I don't pretend to be a mind-reader; I'm usually way-off when I try to predict how authors think in advance). So, if the story demands that Joyce has to confront her trauma again in a sudden and even seemingly disrespectful manner, that's what's going to happen. Maybe the character would ultimately benefit from it or maybe it will only make her problems worse; if that's what the story demands, that is what will happen.
~~~~

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #676 on: 23 Jun 2015, 07:06 »

My issue is not with what the story demands. My issue is with your treatment of the events of the story, events that affect real people so don't bother with condescending, "It's just fiction." excuses for your ignorant use of hackneyed writing ideas that use trauma for cheap laughs and lazy plot advancement.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #677 on: 23 Jun 2015, 07:46 »

The 'It's just fiction' excuse is something that comes up a fair bit, both here and other places. I for one do not buy it one bit. Talking about events like Joyce's near-rape may not hurt Joyce, because she is not real. But Joyce also isn't reading the comments, again because she is not real. People who have lived through that experience or worse however do read comments like that. They are real people who are affected by them. The cavalier attitude translates to "Well, it's just not important because it's not real'. But it is important, because even if that particular event happened in a work of fiction, it still does affect the reader of it.  What we see, what we read affects us, it becomes part of us. Especially those who can identify with the characters affected. So it totally is real, because even when you are talking about works of fiction because it does affect real, living people.

That is something that any kind of artist or creator should be taking into account. Whether they draw, paint, write, make video games... any kind of entertainment. It affects people. How they feel, how they think.. Not in a 'games make people violent' way, but it allows us to experience or relieve things, for good or ill. So a creator should be thinking about what they are doing, and how it may likely affect people. And decide if that is the message they want to put out. Some people may get a different message based on their own experiences that the creator did not anticipate, but that's one thing. It's another to disregard or not believe that what they create will affect people because it isn't 'real'. That's a disservice to the creator, the viewer and the art itself, by denying that it can have an effect on people when ultimately.. that is the point of art. To affect people.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #678 on: 23 Jun 2015, 09:05 »

Disagree. I know it's not a popular view around here or most places. But I've yet to see any form of 'fan-fiction' that wasn't both uncreative and an insult to the original author. All writing is plagarism at least somewhat. But for someone to completely take one writers' characters and go around giving them scenarios and behaviors that the original creator wouldn't want for those characters, as a writer that grinds my gears.

In addition, the entire idea of 'fanfiction' seems hellbent on preventing burgeoning writers from developing actual writing skills. As in grammar, spelling, ability to write interesting characters and sensical dialogue and plot. Those things appear rarely if ever in fanfiction. But it's never treated with the right criticism.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2015, 09:13 by 94ssd »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #679 on: 23 Jun 2015, 09:21 »

I've yet to see any form of 'fan-fiction' that wasn't both uncreative and an insult to the original author.

Oh, there is some; the fact that most fanfic is beyond bad doesn't mean that it all is.  I'd claim my Evangelion fanfic would pass your test; but that's an extension of an as yet unfinished story, and so has no need to contradict any existing canon.

All writing is plagarism at least somewhat. But for someone to completely take one writers' characters and go around giving them scenarios and behaviors that the original creator wouldn't want for those characters, as a writer that grinds my gears.

Agreed on that.

Anyway, we have established that in this forum we treat Claire of QC itself with the same degree of respect that we would treat a non-fictional character.  We should apply the same standard to other fictional characters.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #680 on: 23 Jun 2015, 11:37 »

I agree with that last bit. But I can't agree with objecting to non-commercial fan fiction in general.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #681 on: 23 Jun 2015, 12:41 »

Like 94ssd, I dislike fanfiction which seriously tramples on canon; if other people like it, then bully for them.  But if it takes an intelligent "what if" approach, like good science fiction that changes just one or two things and then explores how the universe might work in that form, then it can be good I guess.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #682 on: 23 Jun 2015, 12:55 »

Honestly I find fanfiction that ignores canon far less obnoxious than authors who make statements that contradict (or even add to) their own canon* and expect their spoken words to be equal to or surpass their written words.

*canon meaning their actual works

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #683 on: 23 Jun 2015, 13:08 »

I think fanfiction can be a starting point. It might hold some people back, but others wouldn't have started writing without it. It's largely a matter of whether a writer is willing to/looking to improve and grow as a writer.

Kinda have to respect people that keep their fics consistent with multiple seasons/books worth of canon, though, that's part of why I don't even try it. I mean, besides the fact I'd rather be able to change backstory details at the drop of a hat to add tension and irony to my stuff that I didn't originally plan. I don't read fan-fiction; I don't enjoy it myself, but I'm not against the idea.

It's not exactly new. Definitely goes back to Arthur Conan Doyle where people would rip off Sherlock Holmes and publish under ACD's name. Likely dates back earlier to King Arthur's legends, and the growth thereof. Mythology in general, you might see as fan-fiction without any kind of canon.

Bringing it back to DoA, the problem here is less that you're basically writing fan-fiction, more that your fan-fiction is problematic, more detailed than many would prefer, and placed somewhere that's meant more for commentary, shared jokes, and silly predictions.

I feel I should say that I like most of your stuff, BenRG, you don't usually go so far.

Leave it to Willis to go dark as fuck.

You know he will, sooner or later
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #684 on: 23 Jun 2015, 17:34 »

There will be blood
James The Kugai 

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #685 on: 23 Jun 2015, 22:27 »

Regarding today's strip:

Dammit, Walky, you had best not screw shit up this time
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #686 on: 23 Jun 2015, 23:33 »

Dammit, Walky, you had best not screw shit up this time

Their only hope is for Ruth to be so used to Walky being weird and random (and seemingly having her mind elsewhere) that she doesn't notice. I wonder, does the old myth about fear sobering you up really quickly have a grain of truth? Dorothy can only hope!

Meanwhile, Dorothy has realised that she's screwed up with Joyce and needs to do some urgent bridge-rebuilding. Look at her eyebrows: they're tilted back, not forward, so she's grimacing in worry rather than snarling in anger! If she's looking to Billie for a plan for this, she's probably looking in the wrong place!

I don't know why but Ruth's behavior really makes me wonder if she's going to end up confiding in someone... Unless Sal comes back to the party and the foreseen mutual crisis with Amber occurs...
~~~~

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #687 on: 24 Jun 2015, 02:18 »

Walky's face in the last panel made me snort. :lol:

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #688 on: 24 Jun 2015, 04:57 »

So, I thought I'd try a little Kremlinology today! A couple of weeks ago, David Willis posted some preview panels from future strips of DoA on his Tumblr account. I thought that I'd share the thoughts that came into my mind when I saw these images and I'd be interested to know what you think!

(click to show/hide)

So, what does everyone else think that this week of strips might be about?

(Added spoiler tags -Method)
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2015, 09:57 by Method of Madness »
~~~~

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #689 on: 24 Jun 2015, 05:57 »

Dude, it's not even July yet. I wouldn't call September the 'immediate future,' or pretend I know anything that might be going on in a series where so many things could happen between now and then.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #690 on: 24 Jun 2015, 16:49 »

Take him home Dorothy and screw his brains out

That'll help
James The Kugai 

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #691 on: 24 Jun 2015, 21:07 »

C'mon, Ruth, let it go.

No need to play it cool.

Frozen's a pretty chill flick.

In other news, I see a point at the end of the night where Ruth wants to know where Becky is sleeping. It might not result in her being outed as homeless, but she'd definitely spend a night alone in the cold.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #692 on: 24 Jun 2015, 23:29 »

Oddly enough, I think that the outcome we're moving towards at the moment is Ruth realising that she doesn't really know the kids for whom she's allegedly the RA at all! She doesn't know their history, their likes and dislikes or anything! It might make her re-evaluate how she's doing her job and whether she's been letting her own problems make her ineffective.

FWIW, Ruth attempting to 'connect' with the students could be funny or horrifying, depending on how it is written.

Now... Am I the only one who was made seriously uncomfortable by the scale of the power trip engaged in by Joyce and Becky's parents? I'm all for not letting kids see >PG films until they have the maturity to deal with them but there is a point where you go too far and that's it. The prohibition didn't even work because it looks like Joyce and Becky thought that their dads were idiots to say that movie or no movie!

[edit]
Sorry, I don't know why I've been typing 'Rose' instead of 'Ruth' all day! :oops:
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2015, 08:11 by BenRG »
~~~~

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #693 on: 24 Jun 2015, 23:49 »

Well, I facepalmed so hard it actually hurt a bit.
That should answer your question.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #694 on: 25 Jun 2015, 00:04 »

Quote from: Roald Dahl, George's Marvellous Medicine
This was a silly thing to say to a small boy at any time. It immediately made him winder what sort of mischief he might get up to.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Tea For The Tillerman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #695 on: 25 Jun 2015, 08:06 »

Oddly enough, I think that the outcome we're moving towards at the moment is Rose realising that she doesn't really know the kids for whom she's allegedly the RA at all! She doesn't know their history, their likes and dislikes or anything! It might make her re-evaluate how she's doing her job and whether she's been letting her own problems make her ineffective.

FWIW, Rose attempting to 'connect' with the students could be funny or horrifying, depending on how it is written.

Now... Am I the only one who was made seriously uncomfortable by the scale of the power trip engaged in by Joyce and Becky's parents? I'm all for not letting kids see >PG films until they have the maturity to deal with them but there is a point where you go too far and that's it. The prohibition didn't even work because it looks like Joyce and Becky thought that their dads were idiots to say that movie or no movie!

Rose?
Everybody, get radical!!!

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #696 on: 25 Jun 2015, 08:21 »

He probably meant Ruth.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #697 on: 25 Jun 2015, 15:47 »

I wonder if he's been watching Titanic?

Boy, are these two in for a surprise when they watch Frozen
James The Kugai 

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #698 on: 25 Jun 2015, 16:33 »

The first half of this was what I thought, but I have no clue what that second bit is trying to say. Why would they be surprised?
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #699 on: 25 Jun 2015, 16:43 »

The first half of this was what I thought, but I have no clue what that second bit is trying to say. Why would they be surprised?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 80   Go Up