Stalking Juicy
- 2 (3.6%)
Faye's Confessions and DTs
- 17 (30.9%)
Amateur Life Coach Hanners
- 11 (20%)
The Second Clairten Date
- 7 (12.7%)
Clinton and Emily - Fear and Excitement in One Package!
- 18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 5 - 9 January 2015 (Strips 2868-2872)  (Read 31134 times)

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
Re: WCDT 5 - 9 January 2015 (Strips 2868-2872)
« Reply #150 on: 08 Jan 2015, 16:49 »

I had that thought too: nice to see an AnthroPC doing his job.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #151 on: 08 Jan 2015, 20:47 »

Me too.  And he's being entirely serious, even in that last panel.  I don't think Faye quite realizes that yet; he's being the good listener, saying just enough to draw her out of her funk and/or the bottle and keep her talking about her issues instead of soaking in them until she passes out.  But I think in the next strip or two, he might say something that surprises her.  In a positive way.

And then there will be a crude joke, because it's that kind of comic, and Pintsize is that kind of character.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #152 on: 08 Jan 2015, 20:53 »

Oh bullshit. (sorry if that sounds a bit too confrontational, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine.)

Love doesn't conquer all. Just because her love isn't overcoming her fear of change, doesn't mean she didn't love him. This idea that love is all you need, and if a relationship failed, its because they didn't LOVE each other enough is silly and insulting.

What she doesn't want isn't being with Angus, what she doesn't want is her life to change. She doesn't want to think about one day leaving the comfortable bubble she has built for herself.

She isn't brooding because she thinks that she should have sacrificed for him because he is a good guy, she wasn't lying to herself. She did love him, and their wants in life just grew in different directions. And she is entirely aware that her want in life is stagnation and never moving forward with any real goals, or even moving forward at all, but stubbornly maintaining her current position, not because it makes her especially happy (hey, there is nothing wrong with someone who goes with the flow if that is what they want to do in life), but because she is AFRAID of change, and this is making her have to face that. She doesn't WANT to face change.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #153 on: 08 Jan 2015, 22:22 »

Look, as long as this doesn't end in her drunk-dialling him...

And finding out he's already moved on...
oh god

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #154 on: 08 Jan 2015, 22:28 »

She shows up unannounced, shocked to find out he has someone over.

'Who the hell is this gi....wait....SVEN?!'

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #155 on: 08 Jan 2015, 22:32 »

There are many, many things Faye could do in her drunken state to make things even worse for her right now. Drunken makeouts with Pintsize? Drunk-calling Angus? Looking up Sven? Coming on to Marten? Pick your choice.
What do you know about Pokémon?

tragic_pizza

• Board Certified Curmudgeon
« Reply #156 on: 08 Jan 2015, 22:35 »

I'm mulling over this "moving on" theme. I think we're seeing it happen all around Faye, bit by bit. Perhaps she is next?

Marigold got a guy, Marten got his courage on and is developing a real, healthy relationship (with Faye's assistance), Angus is following his dream... there are other examples, I'm sure.

So my question is - does Faye, in a burst of Pintsize-fueled self-realization, throw the bottle down and go follow Angus? Only Jeph knows.

This may end up being an even more intriguing arc than Marten-Claire...

Warning - while you were typing 2 new bottles of Emergency Burbon have been opened. You may wish to review your sobriety.
[21:19] andy: Mai, I am sorry, I am going to say this outright that I would doeverything in my power to try and have sweet girl love with you.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #157 on: 08 Jan 2015, 22:41 »

Maybe this will nudge her in the direction of her dreams/interests, and get her working on her welding and sculptures again.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #158 on: 08 Jan 2015, 23:02 »

More espressosaurs, please!  I would like a triceratops whose tail is a milk steamer. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ysth

• capital eszet
« Reply #159 on: 08 Jan 2015, 23:20 »

She shows up unannounced, shocked to find out he has someone over.

'Who the hell is this gi....wait....SVEN?!'
Can't...stop...laughing....

Okay, that's better.  WRT the love stuff, relationships aren't about love, they are about caring and commitment.  Love is a rotten basis for a relationship.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #160 on: 08 Jan 2015, 23:21 »

Love doesn't conquer all. Just because her love isn't overcoming her fear of change, doesn't mean she didn't love him. This idea that love is all you need, and if a relationship failed, its because they didn't LOVE each other enough is silly and insulting.

Totally disagree. The whole of what Faye has said to date backs up my belief that she feels that she didn't love him enough and has betrayed both of their feeling out of selfish fear. Whether that is objectively true is irrelevant; it's what Faye feels and it is what is driving her ccurrent behaviour.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #161 on: 08 Jan 2015, 23:35 »

I expect Sven to reappear soon. Faye probably still has his number, and will drunk-dial him. This will not be a Good Thing. Let us hope Marten comes to the rescue!

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #162 on: 08 Jan 2015, 23:49 »

I expect Sven to reappear soon. Faye probably still has his number, and will drunk-dial him. This will not be a Good Thing. Let us hope Marten comes to the rescue!

Or they hook up again, and Sven does everything he can to not be an arsehole, only this time Faye cheats on Sven with this new successful talk-show host...
oh god

Emperor Norton

« Reply #163 on: 09 Jan 2015, 00:30 »

Totally disagree. The whole of what Faye has said to date backs up my belief that she feels that she didn't love him enough and has betrayed both of their feeling out of selfish fear. Whether that is objectively true is irrelevant; it's what Faye feels and it is what is driving her ccurrent behaviour.

Based on what evidence. That she says she didn't want to do the right thing? She doesn't say WHY she doesn't want to do the right thing. I mean, I could be wrong, and you could be right, but they are both 100% valid views on her reaction.

But the question is, what takes more assumptions. You are assuming both the reason she doesn't want to and the reason that she thinks she fucked up: for the unstated reason that she feels obligated, something she has never ever expressed before, while my opinion is that she is expressing that she feels that she should have explored it for reasons she has actually said in the past: That she loves him.

The assumption of why she doesn't want to? Eh, we are both making assumptions here. But which one sounds more like Faye: She doesn't love Angus, or she doesn't want change?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #164 on: 09 Jan 2015, 00:36 »

It changes things!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #165 on: 09 Jan 2015, 01:06 »

The assumption of why she doesn't want to? Eh, we are both making assumptions here. But which one sounds more like Faye: She doesn't love Angus, or she doesn't want change?

You're insisting on a false distinction. There is, in fact, no difference from both of those. Her fear of change has turned out to be stronger than her love for Angus, when she feels that it ought to be the other way around. That's why she feels guilty.
~~~~

Emperor Norton

« Reply #166 on: 09 Jan 2015, 02:10 »

You're insisting on a false distinction. There is, in fact, no difference from both of those. Her fear of change has turned out to be stronger than her love for Angus, when she feels that it ought to be the other way around. That's why she feels guilty.

The post I'm quoting here is completely and utterly different viewpoint than the original post you made, in which you stated:

She thought she was in love with Angus. She did and still does feel that she owed it to him to try. However, in the end, she's come to realise that she wasn't in love with him. Maybe she was in love with the idea of being in love with him but that's all.

This is the sentiment I'm disagreeing with. That she wasn't in love with him at all.

So: What do you even mean? Considering your own posts aren't consistently saying the same thing.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #167 on: 09 Jan 2015, 02:28 »

So: What do you even mean? Considering your own posts aren't consistently saying the same thing.

I think I've been consistent - Whether or not she was in love with him, she wasn't as in love as she thought she was.
~~~~

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #168 on: 09 Jan 2015, 04:20 »

More espressosaurs, please!  I would like a triceratops whose tail is a milk steamer.

Single-cup velociraptors.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #169 on: 09 Jan 2015, 04:29 »

Great. Now I'm thinking of raptors with a single, large breast wobbling about.
oh god

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #170 on: 09 Jan 2015, 05:52 »

Warning - while you were typing 2 new bottles of Emergency Burbon have been opened. You may wish to review your sobriety.
[/quote]

No, she's clearly still sipping Glenfartin...

(image from @gravweldon)
Please, sir, may I have some more?

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #171 on: 09 Jan 2015, 07:26 »

That's better than what popped into my head.....

2 velociraptors, 1 cup

Now you're thinking about it  :evil:
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #172 on: 09 Jan 2015, 07:31 »

They are Amazon velociraptors. They burned off one breast so that it wouldn't get in the way of their bowstrings. Because velociraptor archers, man.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

ItsNotATumor

• Not quite a lurker
  • Eat any good books lately?
« Reply #173 on: 09 Jan 2015, 11:09 »

I like the way Faye's belly is drawn in panel 1 of 2871. Subtle curve barely noticeable along the pants line.

eschaton

• Furry furrier
« Reply #174 on: 09 Jan 2015, 12:24 »

Everything's set up quite nicely for Sven to enter the picture somehow.  Faye is not only drinking too much, but questioning her prior judgement and thinking she's a bad person. 

To my mind, the biggest question is which Sven shows up when he surfaces again.  Will it be quasi-predatory Sven?  Emotionally stunted Sven?  Blinded by "love" Sven?  Or the post Gina Riversmith Sven who began to try and struggle his way into being a good person. 

I really hope for the last one, because it could take the strip in much more surprising directions.  Sven became much more interesting when he became more than a dick with a guitar strapped to it.  I could honestly see him threading the needle and ending up friends with Faye, reconciling with his sister, and becoming part of the main cast again. 

Or he can bone her once (or for a very short period) and ensure he's persona non grata for the remainder of the strip.  It's really his choice. 

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #175 on: 09 Jan 2015, 12:29 »

I would like to see more of Trying To Be Good Person Sven as well.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #176 on: 09 Jan 2015, 19:21 »

On a completely side note: that lower panel in the lower left of 2872 is the most evocative and emotion-filled thing I have ever seen in a webcomic. Bravo, Jeph.

Here, here.  It brought me back to say just that. 

Eye think it's the eyebrow.  So much said (and unsaid) in that slight curl. 

That, and seeing Pintsize fulfilling his primary purpose of companionship, even if it's not with Marten.  He really is better for her than drinking alone.

It seems to me like a comic that dark should be drawn in black & white.

What's this "right thing" Faye keeps talking about it?  Angus?  Sven?  Suicide?

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #177 on: 09 Jan 2015, 19:39 »

Marten!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #178 on: 09 Jan 2015, 21:53 »

Angus.  Or5 at least, trying to make it work.  It's the right thing because being together made both of them happy. 

And by not trying, she's making at least one of them miserable. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #179 on: 10 Jan 2015, 05:12 »

In the immediate terms, I think that she's talking about either trying a long-distance relationship or even going with Angus. However, I think that, on a broader scale, Faye is talking more about the general rut that her life has got into and how easy it is to stay there.
~~~~

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #180 on: 10 Jan 2015, 21:59 »

Depression tells lies. It most often tells lies about how the world must see the depressed person, but it often tells lies about the depressed person's choices.

Faye is depressed.

Alcohol is a depressant. Not exactly the same thing, obviously. It does, however, depress the "Wait-just-damn-minute" function of the brain. It makes it more difficult to see the flaws in a line of reasoning.

Depressed people listen to their depression's lies. Dragged out in the harsh light of day, 60% or more of the lies aren't even based in reality. 30% or so, are based in reality but distort it. The rest are close enough to the truth, that even the healthy mind wrestles with them. That rest carry 30% which. in turn, carry the 60%. If this is true, that must also be true, so that over there is also true, and that means I should kill myself.

It escalates quickly.

Faye is drunk.

A depressed person is already suffering from reason impairment and is also drunk.

I'd love to read something into what she's saying, but I don't think there's a greater truth about her relationship with Angus contained in this. The greater truth is that she doesn't like herself very much right now.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #181 on: 10 Jan 2015, 23:28 »

May I repost that in the Pessimism & Depression thread?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #183 on: 11 Jan 2015, 17:55 »

(Stands up and applauds Reindeer Flotilla)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up