Faye's gonna make a mistaaaaaake!

$5 bottle of scotch
Human/robot makeouts
Juicy gang
Two-ton Espressosaurus Rex terrorizes the town
Sven vs. Angus cage match!
Harem of Bros

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2873-2877 (12-16 January 2015)  (Read 49351 times)

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
Re: WCDT: 2873-2877 (12-16 January 2015)
« Reply #100 on: 13 Jan 2015, 15:45 »

I'd say that this will not end well, except that would seriously understate how well this will not end. :facepalm:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #101 on: 13 Jan 2015, 15:50 »

ya definitely going in the wrong direction

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #102 on: 13 Jan 2015, 15:52 »

I know it was really just laying around, but my mind can't stop thinking about the whodunit conspiracy to drive Faye over the edge.

I bet it was Winslow. He was there making the dildobot and he's both the one you least expect AND the one who hardly got any screentime.

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #103 on: 13 Jan 2015, 15:54 »

Does Faye have to work that day? Will she either get wasted and not go in, or more likely show up already half-cut and have Dora tear her to shreds when she smells it on her breath or something?

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #104 on: 13 Jan 2015, 15:57 »

I have the perfect way to tell if I'm dreaming. If I cover my left eye, and I can still see, its a dream. (I'm blind in my right eye). It seems my subconscious still hasn't caught up with the accident I had around 5 years ago.

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #105 on: 13 Jan 2015, 16:02 »

One time I was dreaming and was in an almost perfect scenario, I can't remember the specifics but it was a "pinch me I'm dreaming" moment. So I did pinch myself, didn't feel it and realised I was dreaming, and instantly woke up.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #106 on: 13 Jan 2015, 16:13 »

New comic u----and this is not going to end well, is it?

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #107 on: 13 Jan 2015, 16:18 »

Pintsize snuck into her room the night before to put another liquor bottle on her pillow.

Pintsize is the liquor fairy

Beats the time he tried to be the lick 'er fairy, at least.
oh god

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #108 on: 13 Jan 2015, 16:40 »

Yeah.. I think we can definitely say Faye's into the realm of alcoholism now.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #109 on: 13 Jan 2015, 16:42 »

:(
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #110 on: 13 Jan 2015, 17:42 »

Quote from: Jeph
God DAMN it, Faye

(nods in sad agreement)

Double.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #111 on: 13 Jan 2015, 18:17 »

Anyone else disappointed Pintsize wasn't under that sheet?

freeman

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #112 on: 13 Jan 2015, 18:20 »

Oh no! Second day in, second day in! She has a problem! No Faye, noooo!
(Seriously, I should not try be funny, but you get my point?)

Also, one can buy a cheap ~25 oz bottle for as little as $5 there? Wow.

Does Faye have to work that day? Will she either get wasted and not go in, or more likely show up already half-cut and have Dora tear her to shreds when she smells it on her breath or something?

Real people would probably have their sizable hair of the dog, go to work and continue immediately when they come back. Good thing all those hipsters live in those shameful downtown townhouses (that should absolutely be dozed to make more space for good and righteous single family homes with lawn), so they all can walk to work.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2015, 18:26 by freeman »
Man!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #113 on: 13 Jan 2015, 18:24 »

For some reason, the Clash song "Train in Vain" (Should I Stay or Should I Go) is going through my head right now.  Faye is going to go through hard times now, *especially* if she continues to booze it up like that.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #114 on: 13 Jan 2015, 18:32 »

Probably not?  I just figured, since Dora questioned Faye's judgement over drinking a $15 bottle of Scotch, then maybe a theoretical $5 bottle would be...worse?  Admittedly, I know absolutely nothing about Scotch, so that poll option probably falls a bit flat.  My bad.

I'm a bit disappointed that Marten hasn't expressed much concern over Faye, especially since she's been drunk or hungover every time he's seen her in the past 2-3 days.  Maybe today will be the final straw, though, and he and Dora can stage an intervention.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #115 on: 13 Jan 2015, 18:42 »

If she's hiding bottles and forgetting they're there under her pillow, she's crossed the alky line, from problem drinking to a drinking problem. 

Our organist and choir director, a man I've always admired, just finished a 3 month suspension concurrent with a rehab program (yeah, christmas music was just sort of thrown together with a substitute organist). 

Last sunday, he was shaking like a leaf.  Still played beautifully, but you can see he's having a hard time coping. 

I gave him a hug.  Wish I could do more. 

Same for Faye. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #116 on: 13 Jan 2015, 18:57 »

Probably not?  I just figured, since Dora questioned Faye's judgement over drinking a $15 bottle of Scotch, then maybe a theoretical $5 bottle would be...worse?  Admittedly, I know absolutely nothing about Scotch, so that poll option probably falls a bit flat.  My bad.
I know nothing about Scotch either, and got the message I think you intended with the $5 bottle, so not universally flat.

dreed

« Reply #117 on: 13 Jan 2015, 19:05 »

Yeah.. I think we can definitely say Faye's into the realm of alcoholism now.
yep.  there is no question about this.  she reached for the bottle before even being fully awake.  even if she didn't bring that second bottle into the bedroom she is alcoholic.

wonder how this subject will be treated in QC?  it is very serious one.  everyone knows at least one alcoholic and knows how devastating it can be to that person and to everyone around.

but this is QC world so maybe the problem can be tackled with a cybernetic implant which will expel all alcohol at 200 mph few seconds after drinking it?
Han can probably pay for it for her friend.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #118 on: 13 Jan 2015, 19:06 »

I know nothing about Scotch either, and got the message I think you intended with the $5 bottle, so not universally flat.
I just did a search for cheap scotches, and I couldn't find anything less than $14 a bottle. Not sure I'd want to either.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

tragic_pizza

• Board Certified Curmudgeon
« Reply #119 on: 13 Jan 2015, 19:59 »

I expect that, precisely because alcoholism is a serious and close-to-home subject for so many people, Jeph is going to attack this arc with the same care he did with Claire's coming out.

The man is no idiot. He has proven his ability to be funny, compassionate, and real. I'm hurting for Faye, but this is going to be a good arc.
[21:19] andy: Mai, I am sorry, I am going to say this outright that I would doeverything in my power to try and have sweet girl love with you.

freeman

« Reply #120 on: 13 Jan 2015, 20:33 »

I expect that, precisely because alcoholism is a serious and close-to-home subject for so many people, Jeph is going to attack this arc with the same care he did with Claire's coming out.

The man is no idiot. He has proven his ability to be funny, compassionate, and real. I'm hurting for Faye, but this is going to be a good arc.

Now that you mention it, in that last time the man stabbed his own hand.

Hopefully he is now in better shape to handle this.

Anyway, what about the cheapest bottle of vodka?
Man!

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.
« Reply #121 on: 13 Jan 2015, 21:20 »

Cool, the Hooch Fairy is real. All you have to do is leave your dignity under the pillow.
Super-villain in training.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #122 on: 13 Jan 2015, 21:45 »

Welp. Clambered out of one bottle just long enough to dive into the next. When was the last time she saw Dr. Corinne?
Mistakes, ahoy!

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #123 on: 13 Jan 2015, 21:56 »

This will not end well.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #124 on: 13 Jan 2015, 22:04 »

Welp. Clambered out of one bottle just long enough to dive into the next. When was the last time she saw Dr. Corinne?

Too long by the looks of it.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #125 on: 13 Jan 2015, 23:28 »

Either someone in the apartment is buying Faye booze on the sly or she's forgetting doing so herself. This latter option is very worrying. A significant time in Rehab is possible in her immediate future. She's not just backslid, she's lost all the progress she made during the lifetime of the comic so far and is still regressing.

Jeph is clearly spending time to establish just how bad (and quickly bad) things have got for Faye. This is good writing -You need to properly establish the peril before you talk about counter move.

This will not end well.

I worry that she'll come in to work drunk, Dora will send her home 'until you're sober' and that this will send her off the deep end. Alcoholics can massively overreact to personal setbacks.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #126 on: 13 Jan 2015, 23:44 »

The power to get to the root of the problem is just a step away. It's not imaginary, it's real. Hyperreal. Integrate it in your life and you're all set. Then you can have pi. Or tau, if you're really hungry.
In my language, "tau" means "rope". Yes, you must be really hungry to enjoy it.
(click to show/hide)

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #127 on: 14 Jan 2015, 02:25 »

Either someone in the apartment is buying Faye booze on the sly or she's forgetting doing so herself. This latter option is very worrying. A significant time in Rehab is possible in her immediate future. She's not just backslid, she's lost all the progress she made during the lifetime of the comic so far and is still regressing.

It's worse than that. Faye's always been a hard drinker, but she's never drank like this - hungover from finishing one bottle and immediately starting the next? Those are the actions of a person who simply does not want to stay sober. Which means she'll only go to rehab by being dragged there kicking and screaming. And knowing Faye, punching and biting.

This will not be resolved quickly or painlessly, believe that. It's going to get worse before there's even a hope that it might get better. We may see Faye lose her job, at least temporarily, alienate her friends ('cause that's what alcoholics tend to do to their non-alcoholic friends who object to their drinking) and maybe even get kicked out of the apartment because, y'know, she's not supplying her half of the rent anymore and Marten will need to either replace her with a working, paying roommate or end up moving in with his Mother (shudder), in which case Faye's gonna end up on the street anyway.

No intervention is going to solve this quickly - Faye knows full well what she's doing and doesn't seem to care very much. She just wants to stop the pain of her breakup and staying drunk seems to be the most expedient way to do that. Anyone who seriously tries to interfere with that, to essentially make her face her pain, is going to be fought tooth and nail with everything Faye can muster. Yep, this is gonna get ugly, we've only seen the pretty side so far.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Just another Joe like 46

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #129 on: 14 Jan 2015, 03:34 »

... Those are the actions of a person who simply does not want to stay sober.
... Yep, this is gonna get ugly, we've only seen the pretty side so far.
Agreed. So far, we have mostly seen the funny side of Faye drinking, but there is a very dark undertone here. We may speculate if Pintsize was the Booze Fairy in today's strip (as he seemed to encourage Faye to drink in strip #2870), but in all probability, Faye bought the new bottle herself. Pintsize is a pervert, but he does not want to harm anyone.

We may speculate if Marten tried to Talk to Faye last night. If so, she probably just shrugged it off. Apparently, things are going to get much worse before this is over. There will be Dark Times ahead, but I sincerely hope Faye will get help to get through this.

The Booze Fairy revealed (a distant relative of the Tequila Monster):
(click to show/hide)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #130 on: 14 Jan 2015, 03:45 »

I'm a bit disappointed that Marten hasn't expressed much concern over Faye, especially since she's been drunk or hungover every time he's seen her in the past 2-3 days.
Mmm... though it can be tricky to distinguish between drinking too much and alcoholic behaviour. I suspect that if he'd seen Faye's morning routine from the last strip, he'd have reacted more strongly.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

HauntedNorth

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #131 on: 14 Jan 2015, 04:05 »

That's one of the worst parts of it. My dad is/was/is an alcoholic. Yeah, he'd have a heavy on the whiskey jack and coke in front of me pretty much nightly, but I started monitoring the level in the bottle out of the fear of how much he was drinking. It was a hell of a lot more than I realized, and near constant.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #132 on: 14 Jan 2015, 04:26 »

Which brings me to my next observation: David Whitaker.

I openly wonder what his BAC may have been when the events of strip 505 happened.
Just another Joe like 46

Japheree

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #133 on: 14 Jan 2015, 04:28 »

Pretty scary stuff in todays strip.

As someone who has had problems with drinking I have been monitoring this storyline pretty closely and it breaks my heart. Up until today it looked like a classic case of someone desperate for her friends to notice something was up and to do something about to help her. I have been there and how I wished for an assertive friend to have kicked me in the arse at times. It looked like problem drinking but not quite alcoholism (I know problematic definitions but there are differences IMO.

Thankfully, I have never ever got as bad as todays strip (and hopefully now sober, I never will). I never had a physical addiction, always regretted drinking the morning after and never started up the morning after (I just couldn't face the evenings). I was actually pretty functional. Make no mistake, Faye is in a very very bad way indeed. It seems to have come about fast but then, if she was drinking heavily in a social context anyway, I guess she didn't have far to fall to get where she is.

I hope something can intervene before it gets even worse, I hope something comes along to shock her into sense and not send her the other way.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #134 on: 14 Jan 2015, 04:31 »

I'm a bit disappointed that Marten hasn't expressed much concern over Faye, especially since she's been drunk or hungover every time he's seen her in the past 2-3 days.
Mmm... though it can be tricky to distinguish between drinking too much and alcoholic behavior. I suspect that if he'd seen Faye's morning routine from the last strip, he'd have reacted more strongly.

This is the "danger" of the way the story's being told. It was clear to us that Faye had a potential problem weeks ago. Knowing that, it was also clear to us that the things she's done with Marten and Dora were red flags.

But Marten and Dora don't have our perspective. Dora doesn't know that Faye's been over doing it home. Marten doesn't know that Faye tried to drink at work. Neither knows that she's starting the day by reaching for the bottle on the floor.

All that said, it is already straining suspension of disbelief that neither one of them has cottoned to what's happening.  That's due to presentation.

Japheree

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #135 on: 14 Jan 2015, 04:38 »

Probably worth pointing out that although Faye has been pretty bad at hiding her problems, it is quite easy to keep problem drinking a secret from all but the closest people until it is very far gone. i was a ridiculous over achiever which hitting the sauce quite hard. I doubt anyone but my nearest and dearest even had an inkling.

Unless Marten is going to start spending all his time with Claire from now on, it should become fairly obvious to him soon enough though. The hope is he doesn't go into denial over it. 

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #136 on: 14 Jan 2015, 05:27 »

And, unlike Claire's coming out arc, Jeph has first-hand personal experience with this one (which reared its ugly head during Claire's coming out arc, re: him stabbing himself in the hand).

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #137 on: 14 Jan 2015, 05:51 »

For some reason, the Clash song "Train in Vain" (Should I Stay or Should I Go) is going through my head right now.  Faye is going to go through hard times now, *especially* if she continues to booze it up like that.

That's two different songs.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

freeman

« Reply #138 on: 14 Jan 2015, 06:14 »

And, unlike Claire's coming out arc, Jeph has first-hand personal experience with this one (which reared its ugly head during Claire's coming out arc, re: him stabbing himself in the hand).

If I recall correctly, this was more a result of certain faction of tumblr criticizing Jeph for only having "hollywood pudgy" females in this comic, not seriously obese ones. Because that's unrealistic and objectifies women and is sexist and so on, hundreds of messages from the page that had the Marigold bikini shot. I don't know the specifics and only read it only from second hand sources.

I wonder if Jeph has started to drink in moderation since the incident or is he trying to remain completely dry? What I understood, he wasn't exactly in state of drinking "problem" yet, but in high risk and high quantities nevertheless. That's the thing when one is entrepreneur/politician/musician/actor, too many free drinks.
Man!

ysth

• capital eszet
« Reply #139 on: 14 Jan 2015, 07:39 »

So has this been going on to this extent since Angus left?

Or did it get dramatically worse after Clairten?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #140 on: 14 Jan 2015, 07:43 »

Rough guess is that it started when Angus left, and has been not-so-slowly ramping up to the present level.  I think we've hit a zenith / nadir. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #141 on: 14 Jan 2015, 07:46 »

As someone who has experienced this from watching my father growing up... When you have someone who is a regular drinker in your life, it can be difficult to tell when someone has gone from being a regular drinker to being a problem drinker. Angus actually picked up on this some time ago I think, but his concerns were brushed away when he complained how much Faye drank. It is entirely likely this problem has been going on for a lot longer than the readers realize. Angus hasn't known Faye as long as Dora and Marten, and he is around her a lot more and in private situations than they are. So it's likely he saw the signs before anyone else did. Dora and Marten are used to her being a drinker, but as they are not constantly together anymore the way they were when Dora was living in the apartment, neither of them have realized it's turning into constant drinking. Dora just recently got a warning when Faye brought the bottle to work. It would probably be a good idea if she got together with Marten to compare notes.

edit due to new comments while typing: I think the drinking problem started before Angus left. As evidenced by him getting upset when he found her drunk again. She was either drinking more after finding out about Angus' possibly moving to The City. Or maybe she was drinking to cope with being in a relationship with Angus. That did represent a major change to her life. While she wanted it, it may also have scared her enough to crawl into a bottle as an attempted coping mechanism. Either way, I think the problem has been going on longer than we the readers realize.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #142 on: 14 Jan 2015, 09:57 »

The problem has been there for years.
It's been there when Dora and Marten tried to intervene and Marten put his foot in it.
It was there when Faye moved in. We just didn't notice because we thought Faye was quirky.
I'd wager it's been there since the aftermath of Faye's father's suicide.
Faye has never really been a person to face her problems head on, it's usually been a case of reaching for a nearby bottle or bar instead. To use something of a cliche, Faye has always been in the rabbit hole, we're just seeing how deep it goes now.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #143 on: 14 Jan 2015, 10:02 »

The thing is she seems to have gone from self-sabotaging behavior to self-destructive behavior.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #144 on: 14 Jan 2015, 11:21 »

It will be interesting character development if Pintsize is the one who blows the whistle.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #145 on: 14 Jan 2015, 11:32 »

Some people self medicate. It's not a good thing, but its also not alcoholism. Problem drinking is a good word for it.

All things considered, Faye's always been a problem drinker. Like I said, running away, in one form or another, has always been her MO.

I've known too many alcoholics. Oddly, none of them was ever a problem drinker. They were all addictive personalities. There's probably an infinite number of redlines, but in my experience the thing that separates the problem drinkers for the drinking problems is what a person does when the first wake up.

Every person I've ever known to have a drinking problem got in the habit of starting the day with a drink. I knew one guy who ended every day with most of a 24 pack (cans) of beer and had the last two first thing in the morning. Another who started with a triple S and a shot of vodka, then progressed to a shot, triple S, and then another shot.

It's possible that Faye's been doing this longer than we know. Most of the alcoholics I've known were indistinguishable from sober until they were near passing out. But I get the feeling this is a new place for Faye. Her problem drinking has evolved.

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #146 on: 14 Jan 2015, 11:59 »

It will be interesting character development if Pintsize is the one who blows the whistle.

With Marten focusing on Claire and Dora not as phisicaly close as she used to be (and already having been estabilished as "Boss Dora" in Faye's eyes, at least for now), maybe it'll really be Pintsize the one to give Faye a push to get out of this.

We've had Pintsize's "hidden depths" hinted at before. Maybe now it's time for him to ascend even more beyond a comic relief, just like Momo gained much more importance after she changed her chassis.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #147 on: 14 Jan 2015, 13:47 »

So has this been going on to this extent since Angus left?

Or did it get dramatically worse after Clairten?

They pretty much happened at the same time(And they kind of had to, stop readers from thinking 'Hey, Marten and Faye are both single' and getting ideas). Faye was told the day after the breakup, but suspected it the day before the breakup.

crazdgamer

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #148 on: 14 Jan 2015, 15:07 »

Which brings me to my next observation: David Whitaker.

I openly wonder what his BAC may have been when the events of strip 505 happened.
A chilling thought, one I didn't initially consider. 

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #149 on: 14 Jan 2015, 15:14 »

Uh-oh.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up