THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 01:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What next on this wild and crazy ride we call QC?

Faypocalypse Sven
- 9 (6.9%)
Claireten Snuggles
- 12 (9.2%)
Clintonhand Naughtyness
- 3 (2.3%)
Dora fires Faye - Drama and drunkenness ensues
- 50 (38.2%)
Clairemom and Martenmom accidentally meet
- 4 (3.1%)
Emily gets weirder (is that even possible?)
- 4 (3.1%)
Sven rescues Faye - Dora gets wrong end of stick
- 12 (9.2%)
The surprise return on Angus - Blood and mayhem ensue
- 5 (3.8%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
- 7 (5.3%)
Whatever it is, it'll be completely unexpected
- 22 (16.8%)
ALIENS!
- 3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2878-2882 (19-23 January 2015)  (Read 128771 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: WCDT: 2878-2882 (19-23 January 2015)
« Reply #900 on: 23 Jan 2015, 14:43 »

You know you could just mix the porridges.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DillyDolly

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #901 on: 23 Jan 2015, 15:01 »

You know you could just mix the porridges.

Or feed the bears little red riding hood. She did break into their home after all.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #902 on: 23 Jan 2015, 15:19 »

Never been much of a Faye fan, she's just plain mean sometimes and there's no way I would put up with that in an actual friend.  I get enough jerky behavior from other people, I don't need it from the people I have in my life that I choose to spend extra time with
Emphasis added.

So, there's a super huge point in there that isn't being acknowledged about both Dora and Faye. Choice.

These people hang out with each other by choice. Neither has been dishonest, by any normal standard, about who they are. Quite the opposite. They aren't taking advantage of their friends. They are, instead, saying "this is me, flaws and all." And their friends are saying, "Cool." It's like they are getting accepted for who they are.

Weird, I know.

Hmmm.... Acceptance. Synonymous with inclusion. I wonder what the word of God is on inclusion. Inclusion, though, is kind of a given--that is, if you aren't inclusive you're probably being a jerk. (Not that being a jerk isn't the default for for humanity. It totally is.) Acceptance does go a step farther, because there are things it's morally permissible to reject. To accept is to give blessing to. It is saying, "I think this is of value."

Not that anyone should change their opinion of characters they don't like. But it's kinda of relevant. The flaws being cited are known and accepted by the friends. If they see them as a burden, it's one they willingly picked up. I think that's part of how friendship works.

We all suck. And as cool as we might play it, our friends are probably familiar with most of the ways we suck, just as we are with their flaws. We go on accepting it all, anyway.

edit: of course, to accept can also be to tolerate. But in this case it still amounts to a value judgement, because everyone has a choice. This isn't forced tolerance if it is tolerance. It's tolerance because the good outweighs the bad.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #903 on: 23 Jan 2015, 15:20 »

Actually that was Goldilocks.

Going back to the mechanics of barista-ness: I'm at a coffee shop right now, there was just a brief rush, and the windows all fogged up because of the quantity of drinks steamed.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #904 on: 23 Jan 2015, 15:25 »

I'm still ashamed every time I see your name because I totally had forgotten that Paris was fucking married already when he went to Sparta to kidnap/consensually abscond with* Helen.

*Given the time, I suppose the latter isn't really likely
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #905 on: 23 Jan 2015, 15:35 »

What next on this wild and crazy ride we call QC?

Faypocalypse Sven    9 (6.9%)
Claireten Snuggles    12 (9.2%)
Clintonhand Naughtyness    3 (2.3%)
Dora fires Faye - Drama and drunkenness ensues    50 (38.2%)
Clairemom and Martenmom accidentally meet    4 (3.1%)
Emily gets weirder (is that even possible?)    4 (3.1%)
Sven rescues Faye - Dora gets wrong end of stick    12 (9.2%)
The surprise return on Angus - Blood and mayhem ensue    5 (3.8%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher    7 (5.4%)
Whatever it is, it'll be completely unexpected    22 (16.9%) <== Except to BenRG...
ALIENS!    3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Did a slight edit to update the final results since I locked my Poll after seeing this - Kugai
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2015, 18:10 by Kugai »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #906 on: 23 Jan 2015, 16:31 »

Standards which are just right lead to being eaten by bears.

Rampaging bears are the answer to all our cultural missteps.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #907 on: 23 Jan 2015, 16:54 »

Ok, quick recap of my thoughts:

1.- Pintsize is not dead. Simple as that. Would make absolutely no sense since, as it's been mentioned, there are backups.
2.- Dora is not only right, but surprisingly tame. I would cold-slap a motherfucker. And probably something more.
2.1.- Specially since Dora's been known for nuclear reactions.
3.- Someone mentioned Marten shutting down. Since my father was clinically dead at the point I turned 19, I know that he might very well have.
4.- Steve wasn't as fucked up as Faye is right now, but I see where you're going. He could help in one way or another.
4.1.- On the other hand, Faye in the DOKYA would be a massive improvement. Maybe she would find love there, like Steve. But that's a whole different story.
(click to show/hide)
5.- Claire will be officially pissed. Let's hope she understands and it's only temporal.
6.- Faye should develop a friend-induced alcohol allergy.
7.- Some people around are either much more functional human beings than anybody on my family or much less impervious to attack. Everything gets roasted in my household. That's part of why I liked Faye, really.
8.- Maybe it's because here in Spain we have socialized healthcare. Still, if you get home and find your best friend/s abso-fucking-frootly smashed, you call 911. Just in case.
8.1.- That's kind of aggravated by the fact that it seems that puke is dry. Which means Faye's been passed out.
9.- Dammit why everybody keeps stealing my opinions and wording them better than I ever would, even in my own mother language.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to hug a bear

10.- Why aren't we funding that? Or bearsball, as defined by Jeph via Drunk Angus and Drunk Marten?
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #908 on: 23 Jan 2015, 17:03 »

It looks like she (and maybe Pintsize) drank more than thirteen shots to me. There's 17 shots (1.5 ounces) in a fifth, and I'm not sure what type of bottle the second one is, but assuming it's a pint, that's at least another 10 shots (bringing the grand total to 27). That's a lot of alcohol in one day.

eschaton

• Furry furrier
« Reply #909 on: 23 Jan 2015, 17:33 »

Meh, you can still be lonely if your "friends" are people that insult you/are a general jerk/etc.  Never been much of a Faye fan, she's just plain mean sometimes and there's no way I would put up with that in an actual friend.  I get enough jerky behavior from other people, I don't need it from the people I have in my life that I choose to spend extra time with.  A little teasing now and again is one thing, but there's a lot of actual meanness in what Faye says to people.  I don't understand it and couldn't keep a friend who was like that, even if it meant I was lonely.  I'd rather be a little lonely than be made to feel bad.

Faye is a jerk to people she doesn't know (mostly the customers at CoD).  As I said, she hasn't done anything even borderline shitty to Marten since the first 1000 strips or so of the comic. 

Frankly, out of everyone in the strip, Tai seems to be the worst friend to have.  Although she's sort of up front about it with Marten, which is refreshing. 

Edit:  And Marigold.  If there's one character in the strip I can't stand, she's it. 

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #911 on: 23 Jan 2015, 17:58 »

Standards which are just right lead to being eaten by bears.

Rampaging bears are the answer to all our cultural missteps.

Right now you want scarygoround.com, then.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

xaszatm

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #912 on: 23 Jan 2015, 18:21 »

You know...looking it over, it's possible that Faye may not have drunk as we thought. Remember when she started this drunken rampage:

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2870

Pintsize suddenly becomes interested in drinking alcohol, even demanding to drink it out of the bottle itself. Plus in the next strip Pintsize talks about how Faye described his life when she talks about knowing what the right thing is but not knowing how to do it. I think Pintsize has been trying to prevent Faye from drinking too much since that strip. I don't think she finsihed most of that bottle, Pintsize risked damaging his circuits by drinking most of it. Hell, I'd wager that the bottle Faye found isn't actually a hard liquor but something lighter solely to prevent Faye from committing alcohol poisoning.

It might be why Pintsize is knocked off on the floor right now. Faye brings home ANOTHER bottle and this time Pintsize tries being more direct, resulting in Faye shutting him off.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #913 on: 23 Jan 2015, 18:35 »

That explanation does sort of make sense... it would explain why Faye didn't know about the other bottle. Pintsize may have entered her room while she was asleep, disposed of what was left in the bottle she had, and then gave her a bottle of weaker stuff. Though she probably would have noticed it was weaker stuff.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Truec

• Furry furrier
« Reply #914 on: 23 Jan 2015, 19:09 »

You know...looking it over, it's possible that Faye may not have drunk as we thought. Remember when she started this drunken rampage:

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2870

Pintsize suddenly becomes interested in drinking alcohol, even demanding to drink it out of the bottle itself. Plus in the next strip Pintsize talks about how Faye described his life when she talks about knowing what the right thing is but not knowing how to do it. I think Pintsize has been trying to prevent Faye from drinking too much since that strip. I don't think she finsihed most of that bottle, Pintsize risked damaging his circuits by drinking most of it. Hell, I'd wager that the bottle Faye found isn't actually a hard liquor but something lighter solely to prevent Faye from committing alcohol poisoning.

It might be why Pintsize is knocked off on the floor right now. Faye brings home ANOTHER bottle and this time Pintsize tries being more direct, resulting in Faye shutting him off.
While I don't disagree with your overall point, I doubt Pintsize risked any damage to himself by drinking.  It's been established that anything he intakes just goes to a holding tank with a spectrometer hooked up to it.

Wreck Smurfy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #915 on: 23 Jan 2015, 19:19 »

Just to stick in my two cents (five cents in Canada):
1. Faye is not in any medical danger. She's done a binge, passed out, puked in the best possible position for a passed out person (Instinct, experience? Obviously alchies can pass on their genes, so this might be inherited behavior.)
2. Pintsize is not dead, he's shut down. Honestly, can you imagine any writer killing off one of the two first characters of his/her story as casually as this? I suppose it could happen, but not by a writer as talented as Jeph.
3. That twice-puked-on (that we know of), often slept on, and sat on since http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=7 nearly the beginning, really has to be replaced. I'm far from Hanners-fastidious, but that piece of furniture has to go. Faye could make a peace offering to Marten in offering to pay the price. Where she might come up with the funds is beyond my ken, given her current unemployed status.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #916 on: 23 Jan 2015, 19:48 »

I think Pintsize would only really become interested in alcohol if he worked out a way to pressurize the holding tank, and ignite it as it exited.

Flaming farts? Oh yeah. Flame thrower ass? Even better.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #917 on: 23 Jan 2015, 19:50 »

1. Faye is not in any medical danger. She's done a binge, passed out, puked in the best possible position for a passed out person (Instinct, experience? Obviously alchies can pass on their genes, so this might be inherited behavior.)
Once again, I repeat - just because you puked up (some of) the alcohol, doesn't mean that you aren't still in danger medically, or at risk of dying.

Taken from: http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.gov/otheralcoholinformation/factsaboutalcoholpoisoning.aspx#CriticalSigns

Critical Signs and Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning

-Mental confusion, stupor, coma, or person cannot be roused.
-Vomiting.
-Seizures.
-Slow breathing (fewer than eight breaths per minute).
-Irregular breathing (10 seconds or more between breaths).
-Hypothermia (low body temperature), bluish skin color, paleness.

What Should I Do If I Suspect Someone Has Alcohol Poisoning?

-Know the danger signals.
-Do not wait for all symptoms to be present.
-Be aware that a person who has passed out may die.
-If there is any suspicion of an alcohol overdose, call 911 for help. Don't try to guess the level of drunkenness.

I seriously hope some of you are never the voice of reason at a party with lots of alcohol and drinking involved. You could very easily let someone die by means of lack of education on the matter. Not pointing fingers at anyone directly, but just saying.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #918 on: 23 Jan 2015, 20:00 »

But I'm always pale.  I tend to avoid the day-star. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #919 on: 23 Jan 2015, 20:01 »

I'm with you there. Damned bright thing in the sky, waking me up. That jerk.

Xenologist

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #920 on: 23 Jan 2015, 20:15 »

I think for a twist the big shocker might be that Faye is OK, but pintsized is seriously damaged. Thousands of dollars in repairs damage.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #921 on: 23 Jan 2015, 20:21 »

No. The big shocker would be Faye wakes up, it's all been a dream and Bobby is in the shower.

Or maybe this

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #922 on: 23 Jan 2015, 20:42 »

No. The big shocker would be Faye wakes up, it's all been a dream and Bobby is in the shower.

Or maybe this

Why not both?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #923 on: 23 Jan 2015, 20:53 »

Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #924 on: 23 Jan 2015, 21:05 »

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #925 on: 23 Jan 2015, 22:42 »

I seriously hope some of you are never the voice of reason at a party with lots of alcohol and drinking involved. You could very easily let someone die by means of lack of education on the matter. Not pointing fingers at anyone directly, but just saying.

Honestly, I would hope that some of the people here weren't trying to be the voice of reason, because if every single time someone puked and passed out in my vicinity, we called 911, I would have probably seen half a million dollars worth of medical bills over time easily.

Be aware, but if you can still rouse them, they are still breathing well, both not breathing shallow and not breathing irregularly, and have a steady pulse and you live in the a country without socialized medicine, please, for the love of god, just keep a close eye on them and don't put them thousands and thousands of dollars in dept.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #926 on: 23 Jan 2015, 23:31 »

All I'm pointing out is that just because they've puked they aren't automatically in the clear, as some people have stated previously. That's dangerous thinking.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #927 on: 23 Jan 2015, 23:33 »

All I'm pointing out is that just because they've puked they aren't automatically in the clear, as some people have stated previously. That's dangerous thinking.

You are correct there. Any time someone is passed out and has puked, its a serious situation. Someone needs to be all over that situation. It just doesn't necessarily need a hospital visit if that is the extent of the warning signs. I'm more reacting to the people who are reacting as though he should have been dialing 911 immediately upon seeing her.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Markus Ramikin

• Not quite a lurker
  • Prejudice set to maximum.
« Reply #929 on: 24 Jan 2015, 00:12 »

Oh my god, she killed Pintsize.

Finally she did something good for Marten.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #930 on: 24 Jan 2015, 01:19 »

You are correct there. Any time someone is passed out and has puked, its a serious situation. Someone needs to be all over that situation. It just doesn't necessarily need a hospital visit if that is the extent of the warning signs. I'm more reacting to the people who are reacting as though he should have been dialing 911 immediately upon seeing her.

Depending on what Marten knows about the situation, phoning emergency services might mean not just a short trip to the ER, but a longer trip to a mental hospital.  It's a safer place for her to detox than rehab, at the very least, and if the speculation of her having pills in that vomit is true, it shows that she's suffering from suicidal impulses.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Xenologist

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #931 on: 24 Jan 2015, 04:34 »

Anyone else think the title of the past weeks strips are a little bit of foreshadowing? we have

2878: Hospital-Bound
2879: Homeward-Bound
2880: The Great Schism
2881: Heavy Stuff

So a possible story arc as i see it. Faye goes to the hospital. Maybe she goes to rehab maybe she doesn't, either way she goes down south for a while to stay with her mother, maybe visit her fathers grave again. The Great Schism/Heavy Stuff could be her leaving the QC universe and going to NYC or elsewhere to pursue her art and recover.

Not 100% about that last part but i'd be willing to bet that she goes back down south for a while.

I'm sorry if someone else has mentioned this already  :laugh: I didn't see it in 20 pages of posting but its entirely possible i missed it.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #932 on: 24 Jan 2015, 05:24 »

I think Pintsize would only really become interested in alcohol if he worked out a way to pressurize the holding tank, and ignite it as it exited.

Flaming farts? Oh yeah. Flame thrower ass? Even better.

You may be on to something there.  That would be SO Pintsize.
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #933 on: 24 Jan 2015, 06:06 »

Did she tried to drink from Pintsize? Like the alcohol is stored in him, like the cake mix. And there might be a few ways to get it out. Have we seen Faye actually drink non-socially, or to forget problems? I'm glad people never called an ambulance on me for being too drunk/puking back in my college/uni days, although I haven't actually passed out drunk(except going into that zone where you can't remember anything), but sleeping and waking up to puke is pretty common. But then you usually would have a bucket handy and made it to bed. Then immediately afterwards you want to never drink this much again. Having to go to the hospital equals never be allowed to drink a drop of alcohol again, so that would be why drunk people wouldn't want to go.

plusorminus

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #934 on: 24 Jan 2015, 09:17 »

Faye is a jerk to people she doesn't know (mostly the customers at CoD).  As I said, she hasn't done anything even borderline shitty to Marten since the first 1000 strips or so of the comic. 

Frankly, out of everyone in the strip, Tai seems to be the worst friend to have.  Although she's sort of up front about it with Marten, which is refreshing. 

Edit:  And Marigold.  If there's one character in the strip I can't stand, she's it.

You keep saying how Faye has not done anything shitty to Marten in a while, and that's fine. What about other people outside of CoD customers? Or was Penny and Cosette's reaction to her promotion being that they both were prepared to walk just "haters hatin'"?

I love Dora but I can acknowledge the things she has done that have been shitty, hysterical and just plain wrong. You seem to operate on the idea that as long as Faye isn't being a shitlord to Marten, she needs to be canonized.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #935 on: 24 Jan 2015, 09:43 »

BTW I don't think that Faye has hit bottom yet, in fact I don't think she's even gotten close. Sure, she's lost her job, and probably her friendship with Dora, but her reaction in the previous comic to this one indicates she thinks both are replaceable (her opinion on that may change when or if she sobers up). None of that was enough of a shock for her to resist the siren call of more hard liquor.

So she's now passed out in her own vomit on the couch, after doing only Jeph knows what to Pintsize (always assuming Pintsize didn't short himself out trying to match her drink-for-drink). The consequences of that are yet to be depicted, maybe Marten has her taken to the ER, maybe not, he may be able to wake her, which could cause more problems in itself.* We also don't know Pintsize's condition, he may be fine after a reboot and a cleaning out of his chassis (not necessarily in that order).

Even if the worst case happens, Faye ends up in critical or intensive care and Pintsize is seriously damaged or even gone, I think Faye will be entirely too stubborn to stop drinking. Rather the opposite, she may have an even stronger desire to drink to escape all the nasty consequences of her recent drunken actions coming down on her head. That's how alcoholics think, after all, and Faye has definitely become one if she wasn't one already. I would say she's at the very least crossed the line from "hard drinker", seeing as how she has allowed her drinking to start badly affecting everyone around her.

* If Marten is able to wake Faye, I'd bet the first thing she'll want to do is grab for a bottle. Marten may try to stop her, in which case she'll most likely go all angry drunk on him. In that case, I think the abuse we've seen her heap on him in the past may pale in comparison to what she may say and/or do to him then. Get between a drunk and their next bottle? That's just asking for trouble there, son. The ultimate consequences of that may be Marten deciding he can't live with Faye as long as she continues drinking. He may ask Faye to leave, or he may move out himself. Yes Marten is a chill guy who takes a lot of crap from people, but even he has his limits; if Faye clocks him or kicks him in the nuts for getting between her and her next bottle, he may decide he's taken enough and he ain't takin' no more, especially if it turns out she's done serious damage to Pintsize as well.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #936 on: 24 Jan 2015, 11:21 »

Depending on what Marten knows about the situation, phoning emergency services might mean not just a short trip to the ER, but a longer trip to a mental hospital.  It's a safer place for her to detox than rehab, at the very least, and if the speculation of her having pills in that vomit is true, it shows that she's suffering from suicidal impulses.

Marten knows there's a suspected suicide attempts in Faye's past. If those are pills, and if a doctor asks Marten the right questions, a mental hospital had _better_ be on the agenda.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Channelore HellicottAtham

• Plantmonster
  • OH GOD THERE IS A HAND INSIDE ME AAAAAAAAAUGH
« Reply #937 on: 24 Jan 2015, 13:08 »

I don't think this is rock bottom for Faye yet either. For what it's worth the puke just looks like the bourbon she's drinking to me, exact same colour, with neither frank blood nor coffee grounds type haematemisis present. Had she been vomiting for a long time, or been a very long term alcoholic, we may expect frank blood. Ditto the darker oxidised blood that had been sitting in her stomach for a while pre-emesis. This just seems to me that she drank herself unconscious during the afternoon and vomited what drink she had left in her stomach.

As for rock bottom, this is only the start, this is the descent. She is not yet grinding herself into the bedrock. That I feel would come when Faye continually drinks her way through her unemployment for days on end, alienates every friend and wears out even Marten's limitless compassion and best intentions, and finds herself homeless and friendless as well as jobless and Angusless. I'll not inflict a protracted scene-by-scene prediction upon you all, but I doubt Jeph would take it that far; I expect rather that an early intervention from friends and possibly (probably?) family too will be incoming.

Having said that I don't think either that her recovery will necessarily be so rapid as her decline, and frankly I'd rather it weren't. Even if the common descent of alcoholism + depression isn't bashed out in full, I cannot imagine Jeph skimping on the recovery and skimming over the fact that such recoveries are very slow, painful, and exhausting for both the patient and their support crews.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #938 on: 24 Jan 2015, 13:59 »

I think the problem we're having is that people who are just coming into the strip haven't seen the whole character development of Faye Whitaker. She started out being jerkish, but we eventually got a compelling character with one hell of a backstory.

I wasn't here at the beginning, but with the number of strips that we're at, I might as well have been (1323 was when I came 'round, by the way). It took a while to understand who people were, and why they were acting the way they were, but once it fell into place - Jeph had me hooked.

I've picked up all four (to date) dead tree versions of the strip, and when I read through the whole commentary that Jeph had about wanting to end the strip after The Talk - but felt like he couldn't, because that wasn't the end of the story - I realized that this wasn't a comic about just Marten and Faye. It was a comic about Marten and Faye and the whole menagerie of people they interact with regularly as they wander through the streets of fictional Northampton.

Even at the point where I came in, if you would have told me that he and Faye would eventually hook up, and have a relationship serious enough that their breakup would end in her going on a full-on drunk... well, I would have looked at you very funny and said, "Oh, yeah, right, and the next thing you're going to tell me is that Marten and Dora are going to break up."

In this whole strip, when it comes to characters, the old song is true: "There ain't no good guys, there ain't no bad guys, there's only you and me, and we just disagree." Every character has faults, every character has positives. (Okay, maybe not Vespa Avenger, but that was long ago.)

And, I think, we need to remember that this isn't a webcomic based on real life. The tipoff, as Jeph has also said, is that there's a bunch of little robots wandering around.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #939 on: 24 Jan 2015, 14:56 »

Also, a space station with rotational gravity that's been in orbit since at least 1986. And holograms.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #940 on: 24 Jan 2015, 15:05 »

In this whole strip, when it comes to characters, the old song is true: "There ain't no good guys, there ain't no bad guys, there's only you and me, and we just disagree."

Haven't thought of that song in decades, and now it's running through my head, TYVM. And I can't remember any of the lyrics besides the lines from the chorus you just quoted, so having those few lines on repeat is quickly getting old.

Here's my revenge: "Feelings... Nothing more than... feelings..."  :evil:

And, I think, we need to remember that this isn't a webcomic based on real life. The tipoff, as Jeph has also said, is that there's a bunch of little robots wandering around.

And a bunch of not-so-little ones too, these days. (Momo, May, all the salesdroids at the place where Momo upgraded her chassis...)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #941 on: 24 Jan 2015, 15:08 »

And DeathBot 9000
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #942 on: 24 Jan 2015, 16:09 »

Don't forget the eldritch horrors.

ybtlamw

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #943 on: 24 Jan 2015, 18:03 »

Let me preface this by saying I think Faye's a wonderfully well-written character. That said, were Faye a real person, I wouldn't like her, and she certainly wouldn't be in my group of friends. That said, I hope she gets the help she so clearly needs—and that Marten puts his foot down and doesn't let her walk all over him.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #944 on: 24 Jan 2015, 18:34 »

That would be character growth for Marten.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #945 on: 24 Jan 2015, 18:49 »

There's been a lot of character growth for Marten lately.

Channelore HellicottAtham

• Plantmonster
  • OH GOD THERE IS A HAND INSIDE ME AAAAAAAAAUGH
« Reply #946 on: 24 Jan 2015, 20:49 »

I think Faye has evolved a helluva lot throughout the strip too, to the point where despite still being somewhat abrasive, she would I think nonetheless make a tolerable friend. I've been reading QC since she spoke without contractions and had not yet had The Talk nor explained The Scar. The Faye of today is a pussycat compared to that wildcat of old!

I've actually been pondering whether Marten is the character who has evolved the least so far..
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2015, 22:09 by Channelore HellicottAtham »

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #947 on: 24 Jan 2015, 21:09 »

Marten's at least finally on track since :claireface: is making him more assertive.

At least until Faye makes them break up.

ASB84

« Reply #948 on: 24 Jan 2015, 21:40 »

I agree with the suggestion that a lot of Faye's earlier behaviour - particularly the violent outbursts - should be treated as very loosely canon, or kind of glossed over as Early Installment Weirdness, with Jeph still figuring things out as far as tone and whatnot. I think it's best to look at those early strips as broad strokes in canon; after all, several of them definitely refer to AnthroPCs as being property with explicit references to having owners and curfews, and needing permission to go out by themselves (or be taken somewhere). I'd say that's been retconned with the "AI companions" backstory that has since been revealed.

However, we still do see examples of Faye going a bit too far with her abrasiveness towards other people. In this strip from just a couple of years ago, Claire admittedly puts her foot in her mouth somewhat with her remark, which Faye probably would've taken better had it been said by a closer friend (then again, maybe not). For daring to point something out to Faye and being a bit incredulous and scornful of her completely overlooking the obvious, she is threatened with violence unless she keeps balancing a can of beer on her head.

Typing it out like that, it does seem a bit silly and minor, and it was obviously played for laughs. Still, we have a punchline that's based on Faye threatening violence and being intimidating over a pretty minor gaffe on Claire's part, where she did kind of have a point. That's coming within the last couple of years, so we do still see that element of her character in firmly established canon, at least to some degree.

To that end, it's understandable that some readers don't find her particularly likeable or sympathetic, and that characters within the QC universe have their issues with her, or in Dora's case, are at the end of their rope as far as she's concerned. She's not a complete monster, but she's a lot to take, and she can be very difficult and abrasive. On top of that, while she'll readily call out other people on their BS - rightfully so, in many cases - she kind of has to be handled with kid gloves herself. To a certain extent, there's a sense of her being able to sass, insult, threaten, intimidate, or even hit anyone she pleases, but people shouldn't dare criticise her.

As for where the story is going, I wonder if we're going to see a bit more of her family. I think it'd be interesting to bring them in again (as well as Dr Corrine) and explore some of those issues and her backstory again. A lot of good theories have been put forth about David Whitaker, and I think it'd be interesting if the comic does revisit his suicide and the possibility that he was an alcoholic. I don't think Faye's being written out, I think she's being set up for a new character arc.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #949 on: 24 Jan 2015, 21:45 »

I've actually been pondering whether Marten is the character who has evolved the least so far..

I would posit the exact opposite, Marten has always been developing. It's just happened in such minute stages that it's actually quite hard to tell.
Marten has always been one of those characters who has been on the verge of more substantial development, only for it to seemingly fail at the last second. But the fact that Marten keeps getting to those points must mean something is sticking. It's not a boulder going up a hill, it's the tide on the shore.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up