THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ms. Reed's name  (Read 7550 times)

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
Ms. Reed's name
« on: 28 Jan 2015, 22:26 »

A point that has been niggling at me for a while. Everyone in the forum calls her Veronica. But Veronica Vance is her professional name. Her real name is Vicky.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Ms. Reed's name
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2015, 22:40 »

The castpage has her as "Veronica Reed."  (And here I thought this thread would be about her "real" last name...)
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2015, 23:08 »

Also she tells Faye to call her Veronica, so either that is her real name or it's what she prefers to be called despite it being a stage name.  I've never heard Vicky as a nickname for Veronica but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen, I suppose... or as part of their hate-friendship Jane deliberately got the name wrong.

ybtlamw

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2015, 23:23 »

The first time I read this strip I assumed it was a part of their back-and-forth verbal faux-hate barrage. There's nothing that implies it's her real name, although it very well could be.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2015, 23:25 »

The first time I read this strip I assumed it was a part of their back-and-forth verbal faux-hate barrage. There's nothing that implies it's her real name, although it very well could be.
That's how I took it too. After all, how annoying is it when someone who should know your name gets it wrong?

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2015, 00:11 »

Vicky could be a nickname for Veronica.  Veronica => V----ica => Vicky.

A bit of a stretch, but really not as much as, say, "Polly" for "Margaret". (Yes, that's a real one, IIRC.)

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2015, 00:13 »

Oh, I totally understand it could be short for Veronica. But considering how they're riffing insults of of each other as they are, I'd put money down that Vicky is a nickname that Veronica hates, making it an insult for it to be used against her.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2015, 00:22 »

Vicky, Vicky, where did i hear that name before?

Oh, right.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:25 »

Oedipus Rex? Mr Oedipus Rex, please pick up the red courtesy phone!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:30 »

Or Jeph could just have slipped up, like with Marcel/Maurice.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:32 »

Hey, he was just a boy who really loved his mother.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:45 »

Hey, he was just a boy who really loved his mother.

One thing on which you can depend is
He sure knew who a boy's best friend is . . .

Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2015, 02:15 »

Yes, that was *exactly* the song I was thinking of when I posted that.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2015, 02:19 »

Nah, seriously. Sped 25 minutes in my area and every nickname will be considered perfectly legit. We in the north of Spain tend to do that.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2015, 02:20 »

I'm... uncomfortable.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

ASB84

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2015, 02:47 »

I figured it was a slip-up, or that Vicky is simply a nickname that some of her friends use. Even if it's the former, the latter serves as a fair explanation to clean up the mistake.

Speaking of names and that story arc...I'd like to know whether Ms. Reed calling Claire "Clarice" was a subtle nod to Clarice from Girls With Slingshots, who, like Veronica/Vicky, is a dominatrix.

Storel

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2015, 10:14 »

I love Tom Lehrer.  :-D

No, not that way!!  :roll:

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2015, 10:19 »

A bit of a stretch, but really not as much as, say, "Polly" for "Margaret". (Yes, that's a real one, IIRC.)

I worked with a Margaret that went by Peggy.

I don't know how that works.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2015, 10:23 »

Peggy is a common short name for Margaret - details.

OTOH I know a Lisbeth who goes by Mab, and I have no idea how that comes about.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2015, 10:29 »

Lots of weird nicknames out there. "Chuck" for Charles and "Jack" for John are the two that spring immediately to mind.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Storel

« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2015, 10:59 »

I know (online, not in RL) an Elizabeth who goes by Zab -- it took me a while to figure out that it came from "eliZABeth".  8-)

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2015, 11:03 »

My sister's son was named Christoper.  For many years they called him "Topher", rather than "Chris".
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #22 on: 31 Jan 2015, 11:56 »

Let's not forget the classic "Dick" for "Richard".
Mistakes, ahoy!

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
« Reply #23 on: 31 Jan 2015, 12:11 »

William becomes Bill, so logically Richard should be Bitch. But it is not nice to call someone Bitch. That is why Richard is Dick. Or so I have heard.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book
« Reply #24 on: 31 Jan 2015, 13:27 »

On the other hand, my legal name is Ray, not Raymond.
That's because I was named after my grandfather Alonzo.
(pause for the inevitable "Huh?" and continue)
His nickname was Ray, so I got that.
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 31 Jan 2015, 13:46 »

My first name is James, I got that from my Father James, but most people called him Jim.  I don't like that, it's just a personal thing, but I am tolerant of people using Jimmy or Jimmy boy in jest - but only so far.

Now here's the thing, my third name is Noel, and I was called that for many years, just to differentiate me from my Father.  This was my commonly used first name right up till the late eighties when I had to change it to my real first name due to circumstances where I worked.  I've never gone back and I prefer James these days.

*Shrugs*

It's just one of those things that happens.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #26 on: 31 Jan 2015, 14:46 »

My son James simply decided in his teens that he wanted to be called Max, and has kept to it ever since (he's now 48).

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #27 on: 31 Jan 2015, 14:55 »

Funny story from my wife's family: Back in the 1960s my father-in-law's three sisters decided to adopt male nicknames in order to annoy their extremely conservative father. (It worked, too.) So they became Martin, Oscar and Jake.

Fifty years later, and nearly thirty years after their father died, all three of them still go by those nicknames. Makes it interesting when my wife talks about her aunt Jake to people who don't know the story.  :-D

TheEvilDog

« Reply #28 on: 31 Jan 2015, 15:00 »

I just realised this happens a lot in my family:
My grandfather was named James, but everyone called him Jim.
My uncle is also named James, everyone calls him Jimmy.
My cousin (his nephew), surprise surprise, James, but we all call him Jamie (even though he insists on being called James now).
My great-uncle is called Paul, but we call him Duck (because it's far more polite than another word it rhymes with).
My father is Paul as well, but beyond a pub nickname of "Black Paul" (which is used if Liverpool ever lose), you can't really shorten it.
Then there's me, and because of my father, most of our extended family calls me Paul Joseph to differentiate us, which has kind of gotten to friends so that's what most people call me nowadays. Used to hate it when I was younger, but meh, it's not too bad these days.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #29 on: 31 Jan 2015, 15:08 »

my father-in-law's three sisters decided to adopt male nicknames in order to annoy their extremely conservative father.

Love it!  My daughter Catherine goes by Kit, which is usually Christopher - but has been used for Catherine in the past.

Penquin47

« Reply #30 on: 31 Jan 2015, 15:22 »

The weirdest nickname in my family was my grandfather.  His name was Richard Elmo, he was going to be called Elmo, but when he was about two someone decided he looked like a Jiggs and that's what he was called until he died.

Both of his daughters go by their first names, both of his sons go by their middle names (although Dad's starting to go by his first name at work).

On Mom's side, Mom goes by the short form of her first name (Susan, shortened to Sue), her two youngest siblings go by their first names, and her brother goes by Chuck (his father is Charlie and his grandfather was Charles, they had to do SOMETHING).

Among my generation, the weirdest is Erin Elizabeth and Erin Paige, who are sisters-in-law who share the same first name and one that you can't really do much with.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 31 Jan 2015, 20:46 »

My late Mothers first name was Winifred, but she hated being called that and went by her second name, Mary, all her life.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Storel

« Reply #32 on: 31 Jan 2015, 23:08 »

My daughter Catherine goes by Kit, which is usually Christopher - but has been used for Catherine in the past.

My name is Christopher, and my twin sister's name was Katharine -- I was Chris and she was Kit, pretty much from infancy on. I hadn't heard of Kit being used for Katharine/Catherine before her; who do you know of? Not Catherine the Great, surely?

Whoops, sorry, didn't mean to call you Shirley...  :laugh:

Oh, and this is a true family story. My grandmother's original name was Snow Frances Smith, but when she decided to marry a fellow named Karl Green she said she'd be damned before she'd become Snow Green...  :psyduck: So she dropped "Snow" entirely and became Frances S. Green -- the S. for Smith, mind you, not Snow. Not that anyone but strangers ever called her Frances -- she was "Greenie" to friends and family for as long as I knew her.

And yeah, I've probably just given enough information for someone to track me down in real life -- but fuck it. If you're that good a detective, I'd like to meet you.  8-)
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2015, 23:20 by Storel »

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #33 on: 31 Jan 2015, 23:27 »

My mom's name is Shirley, haha. I actually call her Mere (French for Mother) more than Mom. My sister, some years back, had taken a ton of French in high school, and took to calling her Mere. I picked up on it, and it's stuck ever since. Though some people look at us funny, presumably because they likely think I'm calling her a female horse  :psyduck:

Back on topic, I'm only named Danielle because my mother wanted to call me Dani, and apparently outright naming a girl Dani was unheard of in the 80's. I doubt anyone'd bat an eye nowadays, though. 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #34 on: 31 Jan 2015, 23:38 »

I actually call her Mere (French for Mother) more than Mom.

My mother was known as Mare by the family and good friends, because my father was known as Horse (because of noises he used to make).  For a time I was Foal minor, but that didn't stick beyond about 12.

My late Mothers first name was Winifred,

People often confuse my second name (Winfrith) with that - but they're actually unrelated.

I hadn't heard of Kit being used for Katharine/Catherine before her; who do you know of? Not Catherine the Great, surely?

An old lady I knew had known one, is all.

KOK

« Reply #35 on: 31 Jan 2015, 23:54 »

In these parts male names do not get shortened. I once knew a boy of 4 called Alexander. Only once did I hear him being called Alex. this was by a boy of his own age. My impression was that it was an honest mistake. Alexander corrected him at once.

The only standard nicknames are for one syllable names:

Karl -> Kalle
Lars -> Lasse
Poul -> Palle, Pelle, Polle, Přlle

All save the last two are now also used as real names, and not often used as nicknames anymore.

Female names used to be shortened:
Marie (three syllables) -> Mie (two syllables)
Sofie (three syllables) -> Fie (two syllables)
Susanne -> Sanne
Katrine -> Trine
Kirstine -> Stine
and so on

I don't think it is done so aften anymore. Again, some of these are now also used as real names.

ybtlamw

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #36 on: 01 Feb 2015, 04:01 »

William becomes Bill, so logically Richard should be Bitch. But it is not nice to call someone Bitch. That is why Richard is Dick. Or so I have heard.

I very confused as to how you came to the conclusion that since "Bill" is short for "William," "Bitch" should be short for "Richard." I'm... I can't even figure that one out. Hahaha.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #37 on: 01 Feb 2015, 05:25 »

I very confused as to how you came to the conclusion that since "Bill" is short for "William," "Bitch" should be short for "Richard." I'm... I can't even figure that one out. Hahaha.
Can't speak for KOK, bug I suspect facetiousness. I do see the logic, though: Shorten the name, begin it with "B". ???. Profit.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #38 on: 01 Feb 2015, 05:47 »

There's also the case of "Edward" giving "Ted" or "Ned".
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #39 on: 01 Feb 2015, 08:37 »

In my family there was my dad, also named Donald, who answered to "Dodge." My uncle Marvin answered to "Mutz." -- but only for certain family members from their generation. (Yes, my dad owned one Dodge vehicle. After it lurched to its final halt, he vowed never again.)
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #40 on: 01 Feb 2015, 08:42 »

My dad's side of the family had all sorts of weird nicknames. His dad was Dynamite (for his violent temper...), and his cousins included Hezzie, Wiz, and Hen (whose actual name was not Henry; it was John).
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

KOK

« Reply #41 on: 01 Feb 2015, 09:47 »

Asw I wrote, this is something I have heard. I did not come to that conclusion myself.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #42 on: 02 Feb 2015, 06:48 »

My mother's name is Elinor (yeah, I know, the spelling's "wrong").  She had an older sister Lee, so her folks didn't want to call her "Ellie", it seemed too close to Lee. 

So they started calling her Eddie. 

It stuck.  She's 76 and still goes by Eddie. 

My father also still gets mail addressed to "Mr. Eddie [last name]".  He's Robert / Bob. 

That's right, i grew up through the 60's and 70's with parents named Bob and Eddie.  It was a little weird. 

Middle name use wasn't an option, neither of my parents have one.  They were both youngest children born during the depression, and the story from both families was that they were too broke to afford a middle name at the time...  :?
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #43 on: 02 Feb 2015, 07:20 »

Yeah, that's the story behind why my dad was named after his father. It was the Depression, and they couldn't afford a name so his dad gave him his.  :lol:

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #44 on: 02 Feb 2015, 07:22 »

You don't even necessarily have nicknames based on your forename. My dad's nickname is from the first part of his surname.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #45 on: 02 Feb 2015, 09:50 »

Hell, sometimes the entire last name is the nickname. One of my old gaming buddies was often called just by his last name.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #46 on: 02 Feb 2015, 10:27 »

One of my high-school friends' nickname is based on a stupid pun on his last name. We even offered him a chain bracelet engraved with it.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #47 on: 02 Feb 2015, 11:13 »

My best friend in college was named Scott. In the school phone directory his name was misspelled "Scoot". From that day forward, "Scoot" was his name.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #48 on: 02 Feb 2015, 13:45 »

My nickname in my 10th grade sculpture class was Water Wench, for I was the one who was responsible for providing our table with water :-P

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #49 on: 02 Feb 2015, 13:53 »

Mine oftentimes revolved around the fact that I'm Asian and most my friends are black. Because I've always been pretty much the only Asian guy in any group of friends I've been with, I've often just been referred to as "Asian". Maybe all my friends are just dicks?

Also, my dad goes by Chip even though his given name is Arthur. Apparently his mother had a hard time calling a baby Arthur and just called him Chip for some reason.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up