THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 17:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What awaits us this week? (Poll Closes Wednesday)

Whatever happened to Pintsize?
- 41 (37.6%)
Faye's story v.2.0.?
- 21 (19.3%)
Student, Girlfriend, Librarian or some combination of all three? Claire's Dilemma?
- 11 (10.1%)
How do you come back from firing your best friend?
- 20 (18.3%)
Something completely new (give your idea in a comment, plz)?
- 0 (0%)
"Marten, how would you feel about having three dads?"
- 16 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: 04 Feb 2015, 06:23

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2887-2891 (2-6 February 2015)  (Read 157938 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCDT 2887-2891 (2-6 February 2015)
« Reply #850 on: 06 Feb 2015, 15:46 »

Actual Quote:

"For future reference, if you're trying to divine some overarching moral standpoint from my comic: the moral of my comic is that people should try to be nice to each other." - Jeph Jacques
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2015, 20:07 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
Re: WCDT 2887-2891 (2-6 February 2015)
« Reply #851 on: 06 Feb 2015, 15:55 »

So was the attempt with Delilah the v2.0 alpha test? It's fitting, it crashed and burned pretty hard....

It was Steam Early Access

SJCrew

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #852 on: 06 Feb 2015, 16:04 »

Oh yeah, it's sexy time. Proud of Marten for being proactive in not missing an opportunity to grab that ass.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #853 on: 06 Feb 2015, 16:26 »

"Before she became the rather quiet (but assertive when needed) Claire we know today, and was still figuring herself out, she was a teen rebel..."

I desperately want this to be a real thing.

Unfortunately it's more likely to be Clinton who will turn up dressed like that.  Not that it won't be funny of course.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #854 on: 06 Feb 2015, 16:41 »

Also, I argue that it would make for a more compelling story where close-minded characters exist, are seen interacting with the rest of the characters, and learn to change how they see the people that they had previously been bigoted against.
My emphasis added to what, in my experience, is at least as unrealistic as anything about the QC cast...

Dale was arguably black when he was first introduced, but I'm pretty sure he isn't any longer.
Wow! Conflating race and, what, behaviour? Are we seriously going to go down that path? Suggesting that somehow Dale doesn't "act black" enough? I was born in China, and yet here I am communicating in fluent, correct written English. Does that change my race? If I were a comic character, what would I have to do to be "authentically Asian"? Speak broken English with a "flied lice" accent? Wear a qipao all the time? What should Dale be  doing? Saying "dawg" every other sentence?

Word-of-Jeph is that Dale is African-American. I don't think his first appearance or last contradicts that. Let's leave it at that, shall we?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #855 on: 06 Feb 2015, 16:55 »

Whats the bet on Tai literally squeeing so hard she passes out?

$5 on her squeeing until her lungs turn inside out!
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

starkruzr

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #856 on: 06 Feb 2015, 17:09 »

Question:

Has it ever been established if Claire had the surgery? I seem to remember her saying she did, but I"m not 100%.

Here's a better question... Should it matter? Why?
Wait, what?

It doesn't matter for us and the story. Claire is completely "allowed" in a narrative context to be private about this with respect to the audience. It doesn't matter to us at all. What matters is her relationship with Marten. We do not know Claire's surgical status, and I would be willing to bet you nearly any amount of money that we never will, which is fine.

But like, inside the story? Of course it matters. They've almost certainly had a conversation about this off-panel; like, of course they have, this is an intimate detail adults need to deal with. Lots and lots of people are not going to be sexually attracted to people whose genitals are in a certain configuration. That is entirely understandable and completely fine.

I can't tell which "should" you were referring to here -- the audience-related one or the story-related one.

eschaton

• Furry furrier
« Reply #857 on: 06 Feb 2015, 17:38 »

Wow! Conflating race and, what, behaviour? Are we seriously going to go down that path? Suggesting that somehow Dale doesn't "act black" enough? I was born in China, and yet here I am communicating in fluent, correct written English. Does that change my race? If I were a comic character, what would I have to do to be "authentically Asian"? Speak broken English with a "flied lice" accent? Wear a qipao all the time? What should Dale be  doing? Saying "dawg" every other sentence?

It has nothing to do with his behavior.  It's because Dale began being drawn with straight (but poofy) hair.  As I said, I just didn't "read" him as being black because of this, but some tall, dark-skinned guy of unknown ethnicity (South Asian, Hispanic, etc). 

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book
« Reply #858 on: 06 Feb 2015, 17:42 »

There is only one thing that could top this, and I hope we see it Monday...

The Marten-Claire booty dance  http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=300
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #859 on: 06 Feb 2015, 17:46 »

Jeph stated unambiguously that Dale was African American in QA Dump #14

Okay.  I don't read the QA dumps unless I'm linked to them, so thanks.  He doesn't "read" as black to me because of the hair texture.  But it could be straightened, or he could just have "good" hair naturally I suppose.

I thought he had twists when introduced which had now grown into dreds.

Also I think it's seriously gross you're getting into stuff like his hair texture to determine Dales ethnicity. Are we going to pull out cuatro paintings next?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #860 on: 06 Feb 2015, 17:53 »

Just so. The "pencil test" and similar things have very ugly antecedents.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #861 on: 06 Feb 2015, 17:58 »

Jeph stated unambiguously that Dale was African American in QA Dump #14

Okay.  I don't read the QA dumps unless I'm linked to them, so thanks.  He doesn't "read" as black to me because of the hair texture.  But it could be straightened, or he could just have "good" hair naturally I suppose.

I thought he had twists when introduced which had now grown into dreds.

Also I think it's seriously gross you're getting into stuff like his hair texture to determine Dales ethnicity. Are we going to pull out cuatro paintings next?

Agreed, that conversation can get really uncomfortable really quickly, especially for people like myself who are CONSTANTLY being asked "So, what are you really?"
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2015, 18:08 by Zalder »
-It's tradition!
-Tradition is the illusion of permanence.

Mr. Black Licorice

• ... and a bottle of rum.
« Reply #862 on: 06 Feb 2015, 18:26 »

Dale was arguably black when he was first introduced, but I'm pretty sure he isn't any longer.
Wow! Conflating race and, what, behaviour? Are we seriously going to go down that path? <snip>

Woah, woah, woah... I think you are misreading what Eschaton is saying here. I took it to mean that how Dale was drawn had changed in such a way that it now suggests a different ethnicity. He may have chosen his words poorly, but it's clear to me that he didn't mean what you seem to think he meant.

Technetium

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #863 on: 06 Feb 2015, 18:26 »

Also, I argue that it would make for a more compelling story where close-minded characters exist, are seen interacting with the rest of the characters, and learn to change how they see the people that they had previously been bigoted against.
My emphasis added to what, in my experience, is at least as unrealistic as anything about the QC cast...
Even people with the worst bigoted views have within themselves the capability to become better people.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ex-westboro-baptist-church-member-show-love-article-1.1898579

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #864 on: 06 Feb 2015, 18:29 »

Wow! Conflating race and, what, behaviour? Are we seriously going to go down that path? <snip>

Woah, woah, woah... I think you are misreading what Eschaton is saying here. I took it to mean that how Dale was drawn had changed in such a way that it now suggests a different ethnicity. He may have chosen his words poorly, but it's clear to me that he didn't mean what you seem to think he meant.

It's still opening the conversation to "what Black really looks like", and frankly I don't think this forum needs to be having that right now. 
-It's tradition!

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #865 on: 06 Feb 2015, 18:31 »

I really like this comic. This is the first story I've experienced where a trans* person is treated like a person, and not like a curiosity. To be fair, I haven't sought out too many trans* focused stories because the ones I had seen were so violent and depressing.

Mr. Black Licorice

« Reply #866 on: 06 Feb 2015, 18:42 »

It's still opening the conversation to "what Black really looks like", and frankly I don't think this forum needs to be having that right now.

Part of the reason why controversial subjects are controversial is because we (people) don't talk about them and don't listen to each other. This may not be the time or place for this conversation, but, really when is a good time? Where is a good place? If what someone said was unintentionally hurtful, explaining why will get you further than outrage. With outrage, you just alienate the other person and shut down communication; controversial subjects stay controversial and no one learns.

DillyDolly

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #867 on: 06 Feb 2015, 18:50 »

Question:

Has it ever been established if Claire had the surgery? I seem to remember her saying she did, but I"m not 100%.

Wait, what?

It doesn't matter for us and the story. Claire is completely "allowed" in a narrative context to be private about this with respect to the audience. It doesn't matter to us at all. What matters is her relationship with Marten. We do not know Claire's surgical status, and I would be willing to bet you nearly any amount of money that we never will, which is fine.

But like, inside the story? Of course it matters. They've almost certainly had a conversation about this off-panel; like, of course they have, this is an intimate detail adults need to deal with. Lots and lots of people are not going to be sexually attracted to people whose genitals are in a certain configuration. That is entirely understandable and completely fine.

I can't tell which "should" you were referring to here -- the audience-related one or the story-related one.

I ask why, because do genitals really make you a man or a woman? Also, if she is post, does it make her less "trans"? To me, the answer is no—and therefore it does not matter what her plumbing looks like. We are more than our body parts (even beyond genitals).

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #868 on: 06 Feb 2015, 18:50 »

Part of the reason why controversial subjects are controversial is because we (people) don't talk about them and don't listen to each other. This may not be the time or place for this conversation, but, really when is a good time? Where is a good place? If what someone said was unintentionally hurtful, explaining why will get you further than outrage. With outrage, you just alienate the other person and shut down communication; controversial subjects stay controversial and no one learns.

Subjects as controversial as the accepted perceived physical traits of various ethnic groups, if they're going to be discussed, should be kept within more guided moderated places, such as academic settings. Even then you're  gonna come across people who just don't know how to be civil and end up being intentionally/unintentionally racist and hurtful (believe me I've had horror scenarios break out in classes I've taught).  As far as having those discussions on public online forums, you're really just asking for one group to feel attacked an alienated.  I hear what you're saying and I'm not advocating censorship, just some damn common sense. 
-It's tradition!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #869 on: 06 Feb 2015, 18:51 »

I would say that in many cases, many subjects that are considered controversial because people tend to do more talking than listening.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Mr. Black Licorice

« Reply #870 on: 06 Feb 2015, 18:54 »

I would say that in many cases, many subjects that are considered controversial because people tend to do more talking than listening.

I can agree with that....

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #871 on: 06 Feb 2015, 19:04 »

Yo. Black guy here. I had no idea Dale was supposed to be black.

Just sayin'. If that's what Jeph was going for, he missed. I don't happen to care that much, but Dale came across as generically ethnic.

ischaemia

• Plantmonster
  • Almost necrosis
« Reply #872 on: 06 Feb 2015, 19:09 »

The only surgery I care about her getting is lasik, because she's cuter without glasses. I guess contacts work, but apparently they're scary. (I can't find the page, it's in there somewhere)

I absolutely refuse to get contact lenses.  Sure, glasses are a pain in the ass to deal with sometimes but the thought of poking something that you normally don't poke day after day is just unnerving.  Also the thought of someone carving out my corneas with a laser is enough to send me into full heebie jeebie mode.  I like Claire better with her glasses, but I just happen to find people more attractive with glasses more so than not.
It's not that bad, and they give you a Percocet before you're barely cognizant of what's going on! The trade-off for me was losing my SUPER CLOSE (like centimetres away from my eye close) vision but being able to see things at a distance is quite nice. My right eye reverted a little, but my left eye is at 20/10 or something. I was 20/300 or worse in both before!

I did contacts sometimes in the past for first dates and stuff, and wearing colored   ones is fun! That said, it can also get a little costly, so I didn't do it daily or anything.
It took me thirty minutes to get then in the first time, heh.

Oh, and with lasik there was also the part where I looked like an otherworldly abomination for about a month. Got these gnarly "eye hickeys" (my optometrist's words) where the suction was. Oh, yeah, there's a part where they suck your eye a little bit out of the socket to hold it steady for the flap cutting and cornea reshaping. Didn't hurt. Mostly pretty cool!! Probably the Percocet that made me think so. The whole thing smells like singed hair. Also, I got it while in Army so I didn't have to pay for it (well, other than in time, I guess) which was a huge incentive to enlist in the first place. ANYWAY, it's not that bad, I promise!!

Slightly on topic, I imagine Dale's hair is something like this dude's: http://youtu.be/PZuWg5M2ukQ also I feel like Jeph is kind of bad at drawing hair on a consistent model, perhaps. I have hypothesized that's why everyone has short hair eventually, like it's some kind of weird curse. I feel like Claire's hair in panel 4 could have been executed so much better.

Also, why is Claire's left arm so high when she's taking off her bra, there's totally nothing up there unless it's some weird racerback/clasp/cup thing?? Also WHY WOULD YOU WEAR A PLAIN WHITE SET TO SOMETHING LIKE THIS, GIRL SHOW OFF YOUR GOODS YOU'RE NOT GETTING MARRIED...yet

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #873 on: 06 Feb 2015, 19:13 »

She's holding her hair back and doing the bra one handed.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #874 on: 06 Feb 2015, 19:25 »

I absolutely refuse to get contact lenses.  Sure, glasses are a pain in the ass to deal with sometimes but the thought of poking something that you normally don't poke day after day is just unnerving.  Also the thought of someone carving out my corneas with a laser is enough to send me into full heebie jeebie mode.  I like Claire better with her glasses, but I just happen to find people more attractive with glasses more so than not.

I have keratoconus (weird corneas; the wiki link includes a photo as example), and although my optometrist recommended contacts I refused to wear them for several years because I had the same eye-poking issues.  But then my glasses broke and I had to confront the fact that my vision was really fucked up and no new pair of glasses could possibly correct it, so I finally gave it and started wearing the contacts.  Horribly uncomfortable at first, but once I found the proper fit I got used to them.

Then I lost the lens for my left eye and had to get a corneal transplant, but that's another story.  True fact: once you've had a surgeon stitch a dead person's cornea onto your eyeball, then later remove each stitch one by one with a tiny needle, poking yourself in the eye is really no big deal.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #875 on: 06 Feb 2015, 19:27 »

Even people with the worst bigoted views have within themselves the capability to become better people.

Shit, I can't help but post this, considering I was just talking about this with some other people.

Since you're linking ex-Westboro, if you want to be depressed you should look up the history of Fred Phelps for things going the other way. Man was a goddamned hero, once.

weisbm

• Not quite a lurker
  • A furry old guy!
« Reply #876 on: 06 Feb 2015, 19:31 »

You know, I've read this entire thread, and was wondering if Martin's reaction might just be purely good enough at face value.  He's looking at Claire, and she is beautiful!
"It is better to have a handful of dried dates, and content with that, than to own the gate of peacocks and be kicked in the eye be a broody camel"

Mr. Black Licorice

« Reply #877 on: 06 Feb 2015, 19:35 »

Shit, I can't help but post this, considering I was just talking about this with some other people.

Since you're linking ex-Westboro, if you want to be depressed you should look up the history of Fred Phelps for things going the other way. Man was a goddamned hero, once.

Yeppers... sad.

For everyone else, see the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Phelps.

TomFoolery

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #878 on: 06 Feb 2015, 19:40 »

Question:

Wait, what?

I ask why, because do genitals really make you a man or a woman? Also, if she is post, does it make her less "trans"? To me, the answer is no—and therefore it does not matter what her plumbing looks like. We are more than our body parts (even beyond genitals).

Regardless of sex identification, body parts can play a major role in attraction.  Someone attracted to men may not be attracted to fat men.  Someone attracted to women may not be attracted to women with male features, especially such prominently male features such as male genitalia.

Granted, Martin was aware of this and is presumably aware of her pre/post op status, so he probably doesn't mind one way or another.
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2015, 20:01 by TomFoolery »

lightsabermario

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #879 on: 06 Feb 2015, 20:06 »

A compelling plot desperately needs conflict.  Someone was saying, we just had a bunch of drama, and you want to add more? and I respond, YES.  For once, we had what this strip desperately needed to get the ball rolling, and do you know what that was?  A bad influence.  Pintsize.  If it wasn't for Pintsize, this wouldn't have escalated nearly as high as it needed to.  Now take the Marten/Claire storyline.  Where is the conflict?  We go straight from storybook beginning, with a loving mother and a protective brother, to storybook ending, with pure-of-heart boyfriend Marten.  Even the internal conflicts have been barely touched on or expressed through actions.  Someone else here said it perfectly, this is a fairy-tale for Claire, and it is so dissonant with the realities that most trans people face.  Sure, it's really nice, but is it SATISFYING?  No, because there were no obstacles to overcome.  Certainly none for Claire (that we have been present for), and if there were any for Marten, we didn't see them.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #880 on: 06 Feb 2015, 20:13 »

It's quite easy for Clinton to interfere, or maybe Amir thinks that Claire is Deathmøle's Yoko Ono, which messes with the band.  There may be personality friction.  It's far too soon to tell, and honestly, I'm happy to have a bit of a breather after the Faye meltdown. 
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2015, 20:26 by hedgie »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #881 on: 06 Feb 2015, 20:24 »

Apparently, not even in fiction are LGBT people allowed to have nice things.

Also, really, I can't be the only person who has seen the Marten and Claire strips as breathers. They are stuck in between a lot of other drama strips. If their relationship was super drama too, the whole comic would just be DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA GRIMDARK.
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2015, 20:35 by Emperor Norton »

emilygrrl

• Plantmonster
« Reply #882 on: 06 Feb 2015, 21:16 »

Question:

Wait, what?

Regardless of sex identification, body parts can play a major role in attraction.  Someone attracted to men may not be attracted to fat men.  Someone attracted to women may not be attracted to women with male features, especially such prominently male features such as male genitalia.

Granted, Martin was aware of this and is presumably aware of her pre/post op status, so he probably doesn't mind one way or another.

*ahem*

Guys... On discussion of private parts (sticky)
Quote from: Faye, strip 1462
Aww, it's been FOREVER since I've had to punch you! What a delightful wave of nostalgia!

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #883 on: 06 Feb 2015, 21:37 »

Patience, my friends. There has been drama before. There will be drama again.  Some story arcs begin with what looks like the protagonist getting their  HAE (Happily Ever After)  and then  having that threatened--or worse, yanked away entirely.  There are plenty of ways to threaten Claireten's happiness, but the happiness has to be established first.

Trust the Jeph.  The Jeph is wise. The Jeph will lead us to good story.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #884 on: 06 Feb 2015, 21:38 »

This Marten doesn't have any of the flaws and rough edges that bounced off of Claire's rough edges and flaws so well. This is an AnthroPC Marten-Bot running "I AM A PERFECT BOYFRIEND.EXE" v. 2.0.

I think this is another thing we keep forgetting- Marten and Claire aren't boyfriend and girlfriend yet, are they? Its possible that Marten is on his best behavior because he wants to be Boyfriend.exe.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #885 on: 06 Feb 2015, 21:56 »

Pretty sure they were officially together after the chat the morning after the Scritch Incident.  At least everyone in the QCverseseemed to think so. 

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #886 on: 06 Feb 2015, 21:57 »

This Marten doesn't have any of the flaws and rough edges that bounced off of Claire's rough edges and flaws so well. This is an AnthroPC Marten-Bot running "I AM A PERFECT BOYFRIEND.EXE" v. 2.0.

I think this is another thing we keep forgetting- Marten and Claire aren't boyfriend and girlfriend yet, are they? Its possible that Marten is on his best behavior because he wants to be Boyfriend.exe.

Sure they are. We established one night stands aren't for Marten and he knows they're not for her either. He wouldn't be doing this if he weren't serious about her.

On boyfriend.exe though, it certainly was important character development for Marten to be more assertive and taking the lead after moping and whining about not doing that for 2800 strips. But there is room for balance. Now that we've established that it's ok for Marten to be a bit more Marteny as long as he doesn't completely stop being assertive.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #887 on: 06 Feb 2015, 22:14 »

Regardless of sex identification, body parts can play a major role in attraction.  Someone attracted to men may not be attracted to fat men.  Someone attracted to women may not be attracted to women with male features, especially such prominently male features such a penis.

Fixed that for you.

Also, it's nitpicky, but he's Marten.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #888 on: 06 Feb 2015, 22:20 »

Agreed, that conversation can get really uncomfortable really quickly, especially for people like myself who are CONSTANTLY being asked "So, what are you really?"

Funny, the few times I've been asked that, I simply replied, "A dick," and that apparently was good enough for them.

Sometimes simplicity is appropriate.
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #889 on: 06 Feb 2015, 22:21 »

Claire's existence in this comic so far, is like a fairy-tale reality for trans people. Everything seems to be going the way that most trans people would want but few actually see

Which makes exactly one depiction of that in any medium, film, tv show, cartoon, or even book that I know of.

One.

I think.. we deserve that fairy-tale just once. And it does happen like that in reality, sometimes, just as some girls are princesses (which I suspect is over-rated).
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #890 on: 06 Feb 2015, 22:35 »

Regardless of sex identification, body parts can play a major role in attraction.  Someone attracted to men may not be attracted to fat men.  Someone attracted to women may not be attracted to women with male features, especially such prominently male features such a penis.

Fixed that for you.

Also, it's nitpicky, but he's Marten.

For some reason, I kept thinking about the Seinfeld episode with the Man Hands.

A compelling plot desperately needs conflict.  Someone was saying, we just had a bunch of drama, and you want to add more? and I respond, YES.  For once, we had what this strip desperately needed to get the ball rolling, and do you know what that was?  A bad influence.  Pintsize.  If it wasn't for Pintsize, this wouldn't have escalated nearly as high as it needed to.  Now take the Marten/Claire storyline.  Where is the conflict?  We go straight from storybook beginning, with a loving mother and a protective brother, to storybook ending, with pure-of-heart boyfriend Marten.  Even the internal conflicts have been barely touched on or expressed through actions.  Someone else here said it perfectly, this is a fairy-tale for Claire, and it is so dissonant with the realities that most trans people face.  Sure, it's really nice, but is it SATISFYING?  No, because there were no obstacles to overcome.  Certainly none for Claire (that we have been present for), and if there were any for Marten, we didn't see them.

One thing that the "Y U No Drama?" crowd seems to overlook, though, is that in much the same way that music is every bit as much present in the spaces between the notes, storytelling needs contrasts. When all you've got is one note -- whether that's comedy or drama -- you need to keep piling more and more on to get the desired effect, until you've reached a point where it's both draining and frankly ludicrous. When there's something for it to contrast against, whether it's drama coming amid comedy (the TV series MASH did this well in its early days, for instance, and in QC, the arc that started with strip 500 would also be a good example) or a bit of comedic relief amid the drama, the effect is heightened.

And life, by the way, is also like that. If you've ever been to a funeral for someone you really loved and missed, for example -- you  know, the ones where you cry 'til you laugh 'til you cry -- you know that those pauses, and changes, and all they bring with them, are grace notes in the everyday ebb and flow of life.

Also, "no obstacles to overcome"? When did you start reading QC, exactly? Without doing an archive binge, I can think of several things: for Marten they'd include his habitual passivity, his poor communication skills in some of his relationships, being an occasional emotional doormat, and trying to figure out exactly what he wanted from a relationship. For Claire, you've got everything that goes with her transition (good and bad), plus anxiety, trust issues, and inexperience -- some of which we've already seen manifest in her interactions with Marten. And I'm sure that if we all thought about it, we could add a shit-ton of items to both their lists... many of which remain unresolved. In good time, some will be. It just hasn't been that time yet.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Truec

• Furry furrier
« Reply #891 on: 06 Feb 2015, 22:43 »

Apparently, not even in fiction are LGBT people allowed to have nice things.

Also, really, I can't be the only person who has seen the Marten and Claire strips as breathers. They are stuck in between a lot of other drama strips. If their relationship was super drama too, the whole comic would just be DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA GRIMDARK.

It is no coincidence that a person who styles themselves as the Emperor has, by saying QC shouldn't be grimdark, made it painfully obvious to me that QC needs more grimdark.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #892 on: 06 Feb 2015, 23:38 »

Oh you~

'No Humanity, I'm not a god, you don't need gods!'
'ALL HAIL THE EMPEROR, GOD OF MANKIND!'

etc etc

I see what you did there!

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #893 on: 06 Feb 2015, 23:47 »

Claire undressing wasn't meant to be foreplay, it was negotiation.
+1 Insightful
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Reaver

« Reply #894 on: 06 Feb 2015, 23:48 »

"Before she became the rather quiet (but assertive when needed) Claire we know today, and was still figuring herself out, she was a teen rebel..."

I desperately want this to be a real thing.

Unfortunately it's more likely to be Clinton who will turn up dressed like that.  Not that it won't be funny of course.

Clinton shows up dressed as Claire, dressed in biker clothes?  :clairedoge:
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #895 on: 06 Feb 2015, 23:52 »

Nah Reaver, Clinton ain't no badass. That's all Claire, through and through.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Reaver

« Reply #896 on: 06 Feb 2015, 23:57 »

Claires the Claire that Clinton could be if he could be a Claire?

So I have a question if Claire is covered in chocolate

does that make her an...Eclaire?  :claireface:
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #897 on: 07 Feb 2015, 00:10 »

I was born in China, and yet here I am communicating in fluent, correct written English. Does that change my race?
It makes you mildly unusual for Australian.
Not the "where you were born" bit, I mean the correct English. Knowing you, your Mandarin is probably just as polished. Great way to make me feel ignorant, for while I can speak a few phrases of Cantonese with a decent HK accent, my students have to be really tolerant of my fumbling attempts to go past "Xie xie" in Mandarin.

Over half have Mandarin as their first language, though for some, it's second after Hokla or another dielect. So it helps teacher/student bonding to learn a bit of their language. My Arabic's improving too, but I'm completely illiterate in that still.

Akima, I'm sorry you get so much crap. It's just so... brain-dead. The whole Bogan racist thing. Not just evil, bloody idiotic.

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #898 on: 07 Feb 2015, 00:50 »

Claires the Claire that Clinton could be if he could be a Claire?

So I have a question if Claire is covered in chocolate

does that make her an...Eclaire?  :claireface:

I think you're confusing her with the Anthro-PC version of her: the e-Claire.

What we have at the moment, a Claire having her first sexy time experience, is the Eeeeeeee-Claire. Hope this claire-ifies things a little.
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2015, 00:58 by USS Martenclaire »

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #899 on: 07 Feb 2015, 01:21 »

I have keratoconus (weird corneas; the wiki link includes a photo as example), and although my optometrist recommended contacts I refused to wear them for several years because I had the same eye-poking issues.  But then my glasses broke and I had to confront the fact that my vision was really fucked up and no new pair of glasses could possibly correct it, so I finally gave it and started wearing the contacts.  Horribly uncomfortable at first, but once I found the proper fit I got used to them.

Then I lost the lens for my left eye and had to get a corneal transplant, but that's another story.  True fact: once you've had a surgeon stitch a dead person's cornea onto your eyeball, then later remove each stitch one by one with a tiny needle, poking yourself in the eye is really no big deal.

I have Keratoconus too. None of the glasses they tried actually work, so I had hard contact lenses when I was a kid, the kind you have to remove with a plunger. They sometimes moved away from the iris, so when that happened I always got terrified it was going behind my eyeball cutting the optical nerve. So then when I was 15 I got a corneal transplant, but one stitch was on the wrong side so it hurt opening they eye so they operated on me again after staying in the hospital for a weekend. I guess the person I received the cornea from must have had bad eye sight too as I don't see much improvement in my left eye.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22   Go Up