THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 02:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What awaits us this week? (Poll Closes Wednesday)

Whatever happened to Pintsize?
- 41 (37.6%)
Faye's story v.2.0.?
- 21 (19.3%)
Student, Girlfriend, Librarian or some combination of all three? Claire's Dilemma?
- 11 (10.1%)
How do you come back from firing your best friend?
- 20 (18.3%)
Something completely new (give your idea in a comment, plz)?
- 0 (0%)
"Marten, how would you feel about having three dads?"
- 16 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: 04 Feb 2015, 06:23

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2887-2891 (2-6 February 2015)  (Read 157394 times)

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
Re: WCDT 2887-2891 (2-6 February 2015)
« Reply #950 on: 07 Feb 2015, 16:08 »

For my next order of business I will now deviously insult you all.

Man this thread sure is smelly, what with all the smelly people here.
There are four lights!
This thread has no nose!
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #951 on: 07 Feb 2015, 16:10 »

I was not expecting so much  discussion of Hannerpoop :-P

Really? I'm more surprised it didn't happen sooner.
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2015, 16:25 by TheEvilDog »

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #952 on: 07 Feb 2015, 16:17 »

Really? I'm more surprised it didn't happen soon.

I'm not surprised it happened, just surprised I lit the fuse.
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #953 on: 07 Feb 2015, 16:33 »

Here's a random thought about happy stories.

C.S. Lewis once said something to the effect "What kind of person finds escapism bad? A jailer."
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Reaver

« Reply #954 on: 07 Feb 2015, 16:38 »

Here's a random thought about happy stories.

C.S. Lewis once said something to the effect "What kind of person finds escapism bad? A jailer."

I loled :clairedoge:
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #955 on: 07 Feb 2015, 16:39 »

I don't want things to blow up all the time. I want Marten to act like Marten. I want him to be a little snarky and playful. I want him to make dumb jokes and goof around a bit. I want the Marten who decided to scritch Claire's hair and back and make her go all *_*.  You know. Not necessarily Marten at his worst. Marten at his best.

Strip 2808 comes to mind. Like 2891, Marten is LITERALLY reading off of the "how a guy dating a trans woman is supposed to act" handbook. Hell, 2808 is even structured like a, "POP QUIZ, MARTEN! YOUR NEW TRANS GIRLFRIEND ASKED YOU HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT DATING A TRANS LADY! DO YOU PICK. . ." 2891 feels like just another test to see if Marten passes the "AM I THE PERFECT BOYFRIEND FOR CLAIRE" test.

While I agree that Marten's answer in 2808 was kinda bland (in my opinion, a playful nudge and a "Do you think I would be here now if I wasn't comfortable with you?" would've felt a bit more natural), I think he gave the right response in 2891.  There is a time for playful snark, and your significant other (who may or may not have body issues) stripping down in front of you to gauge your reaction and comfort level is definitely not one of them.  Save it for the pillow talk later, I say.

(Granted, I'm celibate, so you'll have to take my sexytimes advice with a massive dose of salt.)
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #956 on: 07 Feb 2015, 16:55 »

No one expects discussion of Hanners's poop. Its chief weapon is surprise.

And fear.

ASB84

« Reply #957 on: 07 Feb 2015, 16:59 »

ok, from my perspective, as one of the people where the sugary Marten/Claire strips did nothing for them, it wasn't about drama, or a need for the characters to suffer, or anything like that. It simply is that I like to have a strip that interests me in some way. Either a joke, plot progression, something moving.

Jephs depiction of Marten and Claire's first date just felt like a repeat of the same strip, over and over, with small changes.

I've liked the last two strips because they are something DIFFERENT, something interesting. When Marten asked Claire out, that was interesting.
I think it was the 'Ice cream kisses!' comic that made me roll my eyes so hard that I nearly gave my optic nerves torsion damage. It seemed... ridiculously juvenile, more in line with what a junior high relationship would be. Then again, I despise PDAs (they weird me out, big time), and it's likely a side effect of me being well on my way to being an old cat lady.

Agreed, I found it just a bit too sappy. From a narrative standpoint, there wasn't much said or done across the breadth of those strips that couldn't have been done in two or three, tops. To me it kind of felt like padding or filler, just cutesy imagery instead of engaging storytelling.

Frankly, I feel like this point of view is being harshly misrepresented or misinterpreted, with these exaggerated accusations of us being crybabies who don't want to see the characters happy, "do you hate puppies", and other such rhetoric. It's not about that at all; it's about feeliing engaged with the story and interested in the proceedings. It's about personal taste when it comes to cuteness; mileage will vary from reader to reader as to how much is too much before it's sappy and off-putting. It's the same as anyone who feels that Pintsize's antics are more annoying than amusing, or everyone's individual threshold for tolerating the more divisive character traits that Dora and Faye display. Personal taste and preference.

As TRVA said, for some of us, the cute imagery wasn't enough, it wasn't gripping. You could compare it to Dora and Tai's first date, in which there were cute and heartwarming moments, but also story, backstory, witty lines, jokes...stuff happening. Some of us would've liked to have seen more of that happening in Marten and Claire's date, especially because Claire is being elevated in the cast and needs to be expanded as a character. I don't think anyone is suggesting they want to see the characters unhappy all the time, or nothing but drama and conflict all the time; some of us just wanted a bit more storytelling and character exploration, something beyond moments that had - for some of us - become too sappy and saccharine. Because once again, mileage may vary.

On the subject of fiction being better than reality...I'm not against that, I think there's a need for that. I do think that we as readers, viewers, and so forth can get too wrapped up in the idea that "dark and gritty" is better, when it can obviously be as trite and cliche as the other extreme. At the same time though, there needs to be balance. A work without any kind of conflict or complication - even a comedic complication, where the characters are put in a funny situation and react to it in an amusing way - will get boring after a while, because nothing's happening. Make things too perfect, and the work runs the risk of being difficult to relate to.

The other issue you potentially run into if your story and setting is too utopian is that it can end up coming off a bit preachy. If everyone in the work shares the views and politics of the author and most of the audience, and everything runs smoothly as a result, it can come off as being a bit smug. That's why, despite being a filthy left-wing atheist myself, I sometimes find Bill Maher off-putting; "clappy humour" doesn't really appeal to me, because of the smugness that's usually involved and the joke being more about "let's laugh at those people who are clearly idiots because they don't hold the same views". Fortunately, QC is nothing like that, I'm just saying that it can become an issue when it comes to a work having a certain political slant, and the setting, characters, and storylines feel too perfect.

That's what I really liked about the latest strip. For the sake of full disclosure, I'm a white, heterosexual, cisgender male, so I want to tread very carefully because I don't have insight into the realism of the situation, and it's obviously not a trigger for me if there are any issues. However, this I do know: because ignorance and bigotry still exists, when you choose to introduce a character who belongs to a group who is discriminated against and portray them positively, you are making a statement, whether you intend to or not. And I think that's important, and all the better when the message isn't obnoxiously shoved in the audience's face. Obviously, I'm not qualified to say whether Claire is a good representative of people who are trans or of trans issues, but given my politics, her positive portrayal, and the generally positive reaction from readers who are trans, I'll hazard a guess and suggest that she is, and that her story is being told respectfully and tastefully.

Of course, given the situation, there are aspects of the story that Jeph understandably doesn't want to get into too much, out of respect for trans individuals in his audience, and the subject matter at large. At the same time, if it's completely glossed over, if the elephant in the room is completely ignored, then the underlying statement is less powerful, and Claire becomes more of a token character; a way of confronting or acknowledging an issue in society without really getting into it. By touching on some of the issues in a way that is respectful and tasteful, without crossing any lines or being offensive - as I believe the latest strip achieved - Claire remains a proper character, and a powerful, positive statement is made in a way that isn't heavy handed or preachy. It did what the more sugary strips did not (at least in my view), advancing the plot, exploring the characters, and touching on certain issues as much as they need to be touched upon, while still being genuinely sweet and heartwarming.

As for where Claire and Marten go from here...well, it certainly doesn't need to be straight to drama and conflict. By all means, they should be happy, and the relationship should continue to be explored. However, I also want to see meaningful and engaging story arcs, funny moments, witty punchlines, character exploration, comedic mishaps, GLORIOUS PUNS...more than just cute moments and imagery.
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2015, 17:48 by ASB84 »

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #958 on: 07 Feb 2015, 16:59 »

And fear.

It's TWO chief weapons are surprise, fear, and an almost fanatical obsession with handwashing.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #959 on: 07 Feb 2015, 17:04 »

Enough! Cardinal Fang! Fetch the ... Comfy chair! With the hole! And fetch the two-ply!
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

vforvancouver

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I'm a blood donor: I play rugby.
« Reply #960 on: 07 Feb 2015, 18:12 »

After reading all this thread, I think I finally understand why George R. R. Martin is hated and loved at the same time by the same group of people. If you read A Song of Ice and Fire you may choose one side: those who like how Martin writes, and those who hate how Martin writes. Those who are like "meh" don't discuss the writing at all, so they don't count. Alrighty then; here it's happening too. At a minor scale, if you like, but it's happening nonetheless.

So people may like how Jeph writes, or hate how our Glorious Leader writes, but at the end, if people sticks around the webcomic, it is because they love the comic and its story. I, for one, like how Jeph, that magnificent bastard, writes his webcomic.
—When I was a little girl...
—Wups. Did I heard you correctly?
—Who's telling the story?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #961 on: 07 Feb 2015, 18:17 »

Claire lives in fear for her safety and has to hide a piece of history that contributed to who she is today.

It's an exceptionally good life she's got but not a treacly fantasy.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr. Black Licorice

• ... and a bottle of rum.
« Reply #962 on: 07 Feb 2015, 18:28 »

There is a whole subredit dedicated to Hannerpoop... :evil:

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #963 on: 07 Feb 2015, 18:33 »

Speaking of poop i've always been curious as to how Hanners handles the bathroom..... :psyduck:

The answer at 1719.

Mr. Black Licorice

• ... and a bottle of rum.
« Reply #964 on: 07 Feb 2015, 18:47 »

Speaking of poop i've always been curious as to how Hanners handles the bathroom..... :psyduck:

The answer at 1719.

Why did you do that?! You ruined the mystique of Hannerpoop!

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #965 on: 07 Feb 2015, 18:51 »

Because if my math is right that comic is over 4 years old. According to rapper Mike Jones (aka "Big Wax"), that comic could now have dreams that kept it warm when it was cold.

Come to think of it, that subreddit mentioned earlier might be that dream.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #966 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:02 »

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #967 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:05 »

And fear.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE POOPQUISITION!!!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #968 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:16 »

Because if my math is right that comic is over 4 years old.

Yeah....but that's like three weeks QC time. :roll:

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #969 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:28 »

Setting aside the fact that at that particular point in time Angus and Faye had just started dating more or less, so it has to be more comic time, it's really no excuse not to know that piece of info in the Real World (tm). The intel's been out there.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #970 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:38 »

Don't bring Intel into this! Maybe they hadn't had enough Java to get their inner Oracle running. You can't expect everyone to Google everything, Mac.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #971 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:43 »

Don't bring Intel into this! Maybe they hadn't had enough Java to get their inner Oracle running. You can't expect everyone to Google everything, Mac.

This forum tends to overanalyze things. Remember the argument over the alignment of Marten's ARM? That was some high-class nit-PICking. A real Arduinous debate.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

TheEvilDog

« Reply #972 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:49 »

Setting aside the fact that at that particular point in time Angus and Faye had just started dating more or less, so it has to be more comic time, it's really no excuse not to know that piece of info in the Real World (tm). The intel's been out there.

I refer you to the rolling eyes emote I added to the end of my post.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #973 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:50 »

The rolling eye gathers no moss.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #974 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:55 »

After reading all this thread, I think I finally understand why George R. R. Martin is hated and loved at the same time by the same group of people. If you read A Song of Ice and Fire you may choose one side: those who like how Martin writes, and those who hate how Martin writes. Those who are like "meh" don't discuss the writing at all, so they don't count. Alrighty then; here it's happening too. At a minor scale, if you like, but it's happening nonetheless.

So people may like how Jeph writes, or hate how our Glorious Leader writes, but at the end, if people sticks around the webcomic, it is because they love the comic and its story. I, for one, like how Jeph, that magnificent bastard, writes his webcomic.

...Ohmigod, you're RIGHT.

Jeph IS the G.R.R. Martin of webcomic creators! :psyduck:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #975 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:56 »

Mistakes, ahoy!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #976 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:57 »

I just realized that this comic is old enough that we realistically could reply to comments by just posting quotes from panels in the archives.
Just another Joe like 46

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #977 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:58 »

Oh, and Jeph's no G.R.R.M. If he were, the wedding arc would have been far deadlier than it was.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #978 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:59 »

"Sven Bianchi sends his regards."
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #979 on: 07 Feb 2015, 20:01 »

As one of his shitty country songs is played in the background.
Mistakes, ahoy!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #980 on: 07 Feb 2015, 20:03 »

"You know nothing, Raven Pritchard!"

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #981 on: 07 Feb 2015, 20:04 »

That would get dark quick.
"I Murdered Her Because She Looked Like You"
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #982 on: 07 Feb 2015, 20:05 »

"I Can't Get the Blood of You Out of My Tux"

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #983 on: 07 Feb 2015, 20:09 »

I just realized that this comic is old enough that we realistically could reply to comments by just posting quotes from panels in the archives.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #984 on: 07 Feb 2015, 20:14 »

"I Can't Get the Blood of You Out of My Tux"

Or his memorable re-imagining of a Willie Nelson classic: "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up."
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Stanistani

• Not quite a lurker
  • I am inspired by the talents of others.
    • Wikipediocracy Blog
« Reply #985 on: 07 Feb 2015, 20:15 »

What you call "Thought Police", either jokingly or disparagingly, are a group of people who have worked very hard to make sure that this forum doesn't turn into a cesspit like so many other "social sites" on the net. They've had to drop the hammer quite a few times, but in the end, this place is far better than a lot of other forums and sites I used to frequent.
Hear Hear! I say this as a forum moderator for another forum full of roughnecks. The ones here are stellar.
Questionable Content is one of the few web comics I check out daily - it's that good.

Wikipediocracy - We show the world what's wrong with Wikipedia...

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Caspain

• Not quite a lurker

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #990 on: 07 Feb 2015, 21:39 »

They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #991 on: 07 Feb 2015, 21:41 »

Fixed that for ya

Okay, how exactly did I go from the Google Drive thing to that?
Just another Joe like 46

bucky_2300

• Furry furrier
« Reply #992 on: 08 Feb 2015, 00:20 »

Could Marten get any more empty as a character? I mean, the guy's been presented as a straight man (as in the archetype) and a straight man (as in the sexuality) for the entirety of the comic, and now he's suddenly down with dating a transgendered person, which happens to come right around the time that trans* issues are gaining real traction in the social justice community? Come on. I've dated a trans*person in the past, and the first time we got naked, it was treated with much more dignity and care than it was given here. "You're beautiful"? I'll take Things That a 16 Year Old Says When Losing His Virginity for $200, Alex. This is just empty pandering.
Click Here!

Penquin47

« Reply #993 on: 08 Feb 2015, 00:46 »

How exactly does being a straight man preclude him from dating a trans* woman?

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #994 on: 08 Feb 2015, 01:11 »

Relllaaaaaaxxxxxxx guyyyyyyyyy
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #995 on: 08 Feb 2015, 01:38 »

This thread has no nose!

OK, I'll do the traditional thing.

"No nose? Then how does it smell?"
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #996 on: 08 Feb 2015, 01:46 »

I mean, the guy's been presented as a straight man (as in the archetype) and a straight man (as in the sexuality) for the entirety of the comic, and now he's suddenly down with dating a transgendered person

CLANG!

See http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Drop+a+clanger
To say something innocent in an unfortunate context that causes it to become hurtful or otherwise controversial.

Just to explain. He's straight. He's now dating... (drum roll).... a girl.

A girl who happens to be trans. Also straight too, she's attracted to boys.

Now please remember it's not actually possible to die of embarassment. Moreover, everyone here is human, so makes mistakes too. Slack will be cut, because that's what we do here. Be kind to one another, as I'm sure you've noticed.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #997 on: 08 Feb 2015, 01:58 »

A story can't be good unless something blows up.

Which is why Michael Bay is recognised as the greatest storyteller of our age.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #998 on: 08 Feb 2015, 01:59 »

It's not that I don't like to be "challenged" or that I can't "handle" serious, darker work, it's that I don't WANT to.  The world we live in is a maelstrom of injustice, hate, and general horror, with a few times and people that stand opposite that as bright islands in a black ocean.

Jeph's handled that - but in another context, and with another character.

It's an archepelago. And sea levels are dropping. Now I better get back to the pumps....

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #999 on: 08 Feb 2015, 02:23 »

Could Marten get any more empty as a character? I mean, the guy's been presented as a straight man (as in the archetype) and a straight man (as in the sexuality) for the entirety of the comic, and now he's suddenly down with dating a transgendered person, which happens to come right around the time that trans* issues are gaining real traction in the social justice community? Come on. I've dated a trans*person in the past, and the first time we got naked, it was treated with much more dignity and care than it was given here. "You're beautiful"? I'll take Things That a 16 Year Old Says When Losing His Virginity for $200, Alex. This is just empty pandering.

Also, this is wrong. As in counter factual. As in this description of Marten is not accurate.

"Straight" is a construct. What defines straight really depends on who you ask. I'm sure there's a bi person somewhere who finds the application of that fact terribly hypocritical. So, what straight means to Marten is up to... Marten. (Well, Jeph. But I repeat myself.)

I said elsewhere that Friday's strip would imply whatever the reader wanted it to imply. You jumped right to implication. The mechanics of whatever they get up to was not implied by Jeph. That something "not straight by your definition" might be going down is your headcanon. Nothing in the strip demands it.

Whatever's going down can be straight by whatever definition Marten uses. (As an aside, I found this comment no less clangy than those implying Marten might be fluid because of his mom's job. I didn't just make up this stuff about the artifice of straight for this comment, so the idea that Marten's personal view on the matter needs a justification is kind of a drop... on the head.)

Oh, and all that pontification up there isn't why you are wrong. This is.

A story can't be good unless something blows up.

Which is why Michael Bay is recognised as the greatest storyteller of our age.

Metaphor is apparently a dying art.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Up