THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who Will Faye Meet and What Substance Are They Abusing?

Tai - Pot
- 11 (13.8%)
Sven - Luuurrrve
- 24 (30%)
Marten - Zen
- 3 (3.8%)
Dora - Coffee
- 5 (6.3%)
Jim - Muffins
- 6 (7.5%)
Sam - Cane Toad Secretions
- 10 (12.5%)
Hannelore - Antiseptic Mouthwash
- 14 (17.5%)
Dale - Maple Syrup
- 7 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2907-2911 (2nd - 6th March 2015)  (Read 57941 times)

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
Re: WCDT 2907-2911 (2nd - 6th March 2015)
« Reply #450 on: 06 Mar 2015, 11:58 »

I'm very conflicted about Taira. On the one hand, I thought Wednesday's comic was well done and a great set up for teh dramaz, if that's the direction it's going in. On the other, I feel like we don't know enough about their relationship yet to really have earned a dramatic falling out.

I think that's the source of the drama, that there's not much to the relationship. They like each others company and the sex, but Dora's keeping her at arms length.

Though I don't think it ends with a falling out, I think it ends with Dora opening up.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #451 on: 06 Mar 2015, 12:35 »

Indeed

I think Dora's at the point where she either opens up or completely goes to pieces. 
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #452 on: 06 Mar 2015, 12:39 »

It might take more time and drama for that to happen.  Dora just saw Faye lose control.  Given Dora's control issues, it is highly likely that this will just reinforce her desire to control every aspect of her life. 

Apropriate Cohen line:
Yes you who must leave everything that you cannot control.
It begins with your family, but soon it comes around to your soul.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #453 on: 06 Mar 2015, 14:45 »

Then there's a pair of us — don't tell! They'd banish us, you know.
Advertise.  Not Banish us.

Down with Higginsonian revisionists!

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #454 on: 06 Mar 2015, 14:54 »

I think that's the source of the drama, that there's not much to the relationship. They like each others company and the sex, but Dora's keeping her at arms length.

Though I don't think it ends with a falling out, I think it ends with Dora opening up.

They've been fairly lucky thus far, considering we hadn't seen any drama. Tai came in with her 'since day one' crush, apparently oblivious to Dora's issues, and Dora likely hadn't dealt with any of them.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #455 on: 06 Mar 2015, 19:45 »

I think the last two strips were filler. Pretty much since Angus went to the call back, which lines up with the switch to words-lite, QC has refocused to it's main characters. That means Marten+Faye with side of Dora.

So it seems likely that Tai's outburst was part of the side of Dora. That Tai wasn't acting in her capacity as a viewpoint character, but as supporting character. We know Jeph's winging it, to a certain extent, and he's historically been good about not dropping plot threads. I suspect the first idea involving the Svenectomy involved more Sven, but the comic didn't flow in that direction. It's been long enough that I thought it was an abandoned plot. But I think Jeph may be of the opinion that Dora overracted to Faye's drinking at work.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Dora overracted. But, as an honest observer, I can think of equally appropriate responses that did not involve firing Faye on the spot.

Given the way Tai tied together the Faye issue with the Sven problem, and then joined it, I suspect we are looking at exactly the "Dora has control issues" plot that's been proposed.

Historically, Jeph has handled these things in fairly realistic manner. That is, shit happens, and shit slides. Like real life (at least what I've experienced) people tend to gloss over problems in QC--trying not to sweat the small stuff, or second guessing their feelings--until the shit piles up. Then there's drama, followed by reconciliation.

But with the change to fewer words, I'm not really sure if that pattern holds. There was drama. Probably the biggest bit of drama Jeph's ever done--though I don't think he expected that. To a certain extent, it would seem the reconciliation has started, with Faye actually trying to face her problems. Dora's side of the story could be viewed as Dora's side of that reconciliation phase, but the connection to Sven makes it seem like part of a different plot.

I'm a sucker for a happy coupling. I think about shows like Mad about You, and I'm reminded that you can have drama and conflict (and comedy) in a relationship without resorting to a break up. So I am inclined to want Dora and Tai to hold together.

If this is really a side show to the end of Faye's drama, and begining of Faye's struggle, then I suspect it will blow over. But if (and the writer in me favors this_ it is the next phase in a build up to Dora-drama, I expect Dora isn't going to be able to admit fault to Tai as easily as she did to herself.

We had one beat out of 9 between Tai leaving and Dora acknowledging her wrong. Logically, that's more than enough time for Dora to have gone after Tai, and tried to make it right. I'd like to think that finding out Dora didn't do that would hint that she is not able to tell Tai tai what she told herself. But the new pacing (it's not really that new, anymore) makes it difficult to say. I know there have been other cases where what commenters here expected to happen next was basically just skipped. I can't imagine the old pacing going from Hanners is frustrated with Marigold to Hanners appears to be sincerely asking after Dale.

I can imagine, with this current style, that Dora patched things up off screen, but the writer in me sees that Dora has fired Marten's roommate, is Marten's ex, and has just had a romantic stumble with Marten's boss. Marten is as Main as the main characters get, so it seems like we should expect more drama between Tai and Dora.

):

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #456 on: 06 Mar 2015, 21:37 »

Hey Marigold? Let's go kill spiders!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #457 on: 08 Mar 2015, 09:23 »

Genuine question: What are Marigold's redeeming qualities?

Panel 4

It's not funny to joke that a character's only good trait is their breasts.

Oh, for fuck's sake. Marigold's "Homeric bosoms" have been a running joke practically since she was introduced. It's not like the OP just noted that they're drawn larger than other female characters' and is now the first to comment on it. This was as lighthearted a joke as they come, and only plays off of a gag that the author himself established.

If anyone believes that the original joke or my bland defense of same is misogynistic, I'd be happy to explain why I disagree but please refrain from allusions to fedoras and neck beards. I hate meninism and libertarianism too, but that joke is already staler than a gas station hot dog at closing time.

Maybe so, and I've let it go as the joke I assume he meant it as, but there are, undoubtedly, some would see the comment as crass and unfunny.

There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #458 on: 08 Mar 2015, 10:47 »

I may need this for a signature line...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #459 on: 08 Mar 2015, 13:27 »

Genuine question: What are Marigold's redeeming qualities?

Panel 4

It's not funny to joke that a character's only good trait is their breasts.

Oh, for fuck's sake. Marigold's "Homeric bosoms" have been a running joke practically since she was introduced. It's not like the OP just noted that they're drawn larger than other female characters' and is now the first to comment on it. This was as lighthearted a joke as they come, and only plays off of a gag that the author himself established.

If anyone believes that the original joke or my bland defense of same is misogynistic, I'd be happy to explain why I disagree but please refrain from allusions to fedoras and neck beards. I hate meninism and libertarianism too, but that joke is already staler than a gas station hot dog at closing time.

Maybe so, and I've let it go as the joke I assume he meant it as, but there are, undoubtedly, some would see the comment as crass and unfunny.

Global Moderator Comment Which is why, though I let it go for the joke it was, I issued a minor warning for a minor infraction. That ended the matter.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #460 on: 08 Mar 2015, 13:51 »

I may need this for a signature line...

Feel free.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #461 on: 08 Mar 2015, 14:37 »

Re: Friday's comic; someone should tell (or remind, maybe?) Marigold that the QCverse!NoHam PD have a, like, 30-50% chance of being drunk, stoned, or thinking about something else entirely when encountered. That cop could have been laughing at anything, from the pretty patterns they could see in their boot polish, to last night's episode of Starbase Atlantica…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

rfrank dodelijk

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #462 on: 08 Mar 2015, 15:18 »

have the police ever featured in qc at all?
it's a long time since I last read the whole comic but I don't recall ever seeing old bill.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #463 on: 08 Mar 2015, 15:23 »

Several times. One time, when Hanners ran down the street, screaming with a bloodied worry hat, another time when Faye loudly complained about Sven on the street, and there have been other appearances.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #464 on: 08 Mar 2015, 15:24 »

At least five times, though I may have missed some.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

rfrank dodelijk

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #465 on: 08 Mar 2015, 15:27 »

that was very quick. thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up