• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

In the aftermath of the meeting...

More Dickacorn
- 5 (8.6%)
What happened that put Faye in a good mood?
- 4 (6.9%)
Time-skip?
- 5 (8.6%)
An evening with Faye, Claire, Hanners and Marten
- 27 (46.6%)
Emily and Clinnntonnn
- 8 (13.8%)
Who DID throw that condom wrapper on May's face? (aka 'Other')
- 9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: 01 Apr 2015, 05:42

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2927-2931 (30 March to 3 April 2015)  (Read 73866 times)

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
Re: WCDT 2927-2931 (30 March to 3 April 2015)
« Reply #100 on: 31 Mar 2015, 05:27 »

I bet nobody gave Michelangelo shit for this.

The sculptor that is. I bet the turtles were all about the dick jokes off panel.

False. Apparently, it's a thing that his nude sculptures/drawings all were, uh, not so well-endowed, to the point where this came up in my art history course.

And BenRG, I can't imagine Jeph going there, to use Claire's transgender status as a punchline, least of all in a pattern joke like this. Faye's going to find out somehow, but it's way too serious/emotionally-charged a conversation to break down to wrap up with a two word-bubble response.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #101 on: 31 Mar 2015, 05:31 »

Basically, Thursday is an only-semi angry argument with Claire and Faye exchanging biting quips but ends with Claire basically outing herself to Faye. It ends with Faye bursting into the kitchen whilst Marten is trying to detach Pintsize's 'attachment'. "Dude, your girlfriend is a trans!"

The last panel is Faye's shocked expression as Marten replies "I know!" from off panel.

Can't see Jeph going there.  And I really can't see Faye reacting to the news about Claire (if she ever finds out) with anything more than a casual shrug.  Hey, as long as Marty's cool with it, that's fine by her.

Indeed. Perfectly valid from a drama and storytelling standpoint. Problem is it goes against the message that Calire's status shouldn't matter especially when it comes up in the forum in every discussion about Claire's future in the story. Claire could invite Faye to the library to look at art books, she could crack joke that her brother loves his robot hand so much maybe he'd love a robot dong, she could ask if Faye's making the cock-golem from Gamers: Hands of Fate, they could gripe together about fathers being selfish and going away, they can each grab a metal dildo and do a little phallus fencing (cock fight?) Or Hanners can show up with the little hats.

Edit: typo, grip to gripe.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2015, 06:56 by valkygrrl »
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

tangerinewarrior

• Not quite a lurker
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #102 on: 31 Mar 2015, 06:11 »

Basically, Thursday is an only-semi angry argument with Claire and Faye exchanging biting quips but ends with Claire basically outing herself to Faye. It ends with Faye bursting into the kitchen whilst Marten is trying to detach Pintsize's 'attachment'. "Dude, your girlfriend is a trans!"

The last panel is Faye's shocked expression as Marten replies "I know!" from off panel.

Can't see Jeph going there.  And I really can't see Faye reacting to the news about Claire (if she ever finds out) with anything more than a casual shrug.  Hey, as long as Marty's cool with it, that's fine by her.

Indeed. Perfectly valid from a drama and storytelling standpoint. Problem is it goes against the message that Calire's status shouldn't matter especially when it comes up in the forum in every discussion about Claire's future in the story. Claire could invite Faye to the library to look at art books, she could crack joke that her brother loves his robot hand so much maybe he'd love a robot dong, she could ask if Faye's making the cock-golem from Gamers: Hands of Fate, they could grip together about fathers being selfish and going away, they can each grab a metal dildo and do a little phallus fencing (cock fight?) Or Hanners can show up with the little hats.

Statistically, though, someone in the QC cast should be put out by Claire's trans status. I could easily see one of the regulars not being comfortable with Claire. (Agreed, though, it won't be Faye- it'd be someone else like Sven or Marigold).  While it shouldn't be an issue, there are still too many people who don't get it. While Jeph does a great job showing us these positive interactions, he could make just as strong a message by showing the sh*t a trans person has to deal with. He's done it before with the Anthro-PC's (May encountering robo-racism), so it wouldn't be so out of place.
When life gives you lemons, keep them, because Hey, free lemons.

Dale Carnegie

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB
« Reply #103 on: 31 Mar 2015, 06:25 »

If Faye was on her game, this would totally be the clever characters snarking at each other I enjoy so much out of QC.

STEP YOUR GAME UP FAYE! I dunno, start calling her Claire-bear or something...

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #104 on: 31 Mar 2015, 07:03 »

Why is it "just superglued" ?

Is it possible to get rid of superglued stuff ?!?
Carpe Diem

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #105 on: 31 Mar 2015, 07:04 »

I'm told that nail varnish remover is highly effective as a solvent for super-glue.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #106 on: 31 Mar 2015, 07:10 »

I presume Faye does still have the crowbar...

Elder Sign

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #107 on: 31 Mar 2015, 07:24 »

If Faye was on her game, this would totally be the clever characters snarking at each other I enjoy so much out of QC.

That's just it -- she's plainly not "on her game", she just came from a stressful and presumably draining first experience with a support/rehab group.  It's entirely reasonable that she wouldn't be up for much in the way of humour immediately after that.

Which is what makes Claire's response such a jerkass move, and Marten for enabling her: it's entirely insensitive and inconsiderate.  Even though, yes, it was intended in a humourous vein, anyone with a hint of empathy should know Faye is probably in a lousy state of mind right now and lay off.

It could ultimately end up trivial in Faye and Claire's friendship (if it's even that yet), but at the same time, I can't help but get the sense that this may be the first stages of growing animosity that may end up forcing Marten to choose between his girlfriend and his best friend, and I find it hard to believe that the author's (and fanbase's) obvious favourite would actually lose in that situation.

Oh, also, the side helping of double standards: Claire's apparently free to comment on other characters' genitalian issues, but the same regarding her on here gets people the immediate ban (as I no doubt just inched myself closer to).

Warning - while you were typing 3 new, more humourous and less contrarian replies have been posted.  You may wish to review your post.
I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #108 on: 31 Mar 2015, 07:38 »

I'm told that nail varnish remover is highly effective as a solvent for super-glue.

Considering that the stuff comes out liquid, and hardens once the solvent is allowed to evaporate, it seems reasonable that adding more solvent would, um, solve it.

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB
« Reply #109 on: 31 Mar 2015, 07:42 »

Yeah, I totally understand why Faye's not at full snark power. I imagine to some extent Claire understands/believes that if you have a healthy outlet for issues you don't want everything else to remind you of them, so she's goofing around like she usually would* instead of being delicate around Faye.

*Or maybe a little exaggerated, I mean she does like to crack jokes and follow them up with huge smiles. Also, she is often really blunt, especially back when she was introduced.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #110 on: 31 Mar 2015, 07:43 »

Oh, also, the side helping of double standards: Claire's apparently free to comment on other characters' genitalian issues, but the same regarding her on here gets people the immediate ban (as I no doubt just inched myself closer to).

To be quite honest, I can't see any hint of Claire "commenting on other characters' genetalian issues". She's teasing Faye about sculpting a metal phallus apparently before any other component of the sculpture and any further implications are purely in the mind of the reader, IMHO. :wink:
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Elder Sign

• Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #111 on: 31 Mar 2015, 07:50 »

Yeah, I totally understand why Faye's not at full snark power. I imagine to some extent Claire understands/believes that if you have a healthy outlet for issues you don't want everything else to remind you of them, so she's goofing around like she usually would* instead of being delicate around Faye.

*Or maybe a little exaggerated, I mean she does like to crack jokes and follow them up with huge smiles. Also, she is often really blunt, especially back when she was introduced.

Blunt like a falling anvil, since we're on a metal theme today.  :-P

To be quite honest, I can't see any hint of Claire "commenting on other characters' genetalian issues". She's teasing Faye about sculpting a metal phallus apparently before any other component of the sculpture and any further implications are purely in the mind of the reader, IMHO. :wink:

Paging Dr. Freud then?  Something just struck me as very wang ... er, wrong with that situation.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #112 on: 31 Mar 2015, 08:16 »

And I really can't see Faye reacting to the news about Claire (if she ever finds out) with anything more than a casual shrug.  Hey, as long as Marty's cool with it, that's fine by her.

I think most people should react. I think the only character who should just give a shrug like when she told Marten would be Tai(And maybe Momo? She is Polite Bot 9000). Faye should be surprised. Then probably a bit politically incorrect, if well meaning.

TeaOfDeath

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #113 on: 31 Mar 2015, 08:24 »

I'll probably be alone in saying this since Claire seems to have some sort of squee-powered fanclub on here, but her character has gotten both boring and annoying ever since she got together with Marten. I liked her a lot better when she was shy and cute--we already have an overabundance of overbearing female characters in the comic--not that there's anything wrong with any of those characters individually, but all together? It's getting to be a bit much. Claire's not funny anymore, doesn't seem all that intelligent, doesn't have much to recommend her in the way of charm...her initial charm was her shy awkwardness and innocence, and now that that's gone, she's just like another clone of every other female character who's ever been in the comic: a nondescript snarky chick who always has to be a smartass.

Something had been bothering me about Claire for a while, and I FINALLY put my finger on it. Now, hopefully, I won't be bombarded with rotten produce for criticizing everyone's favorite little redhead....

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #114 on: 31 Mar 2015, 08:28 »

I'll probably be alone in saying this since Claire seems to have some sort of squee-powered fanclub on here

If you only knew the power of the fan squee.

Elder Sign

• Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #115 on: 31 Mar 2015, 08:40 »

I'll probably be alone in saying this since Claire seems to have some sort of squee-powered fanclub on here, but her character has gotten both boring and annoying ever since she got together with Marten. I liked her a lot better when she was shy and cute--we already have an overabundance of overbearing female characters in the comic--not that there's anything wrong with any of those characters individually, but all together? It's getting to be a bit much. Claire's not funny anymore, doesn't seem all that intelligent, doesn't have much to recommend her in the way of charm...her initial charm was her shy awkwardness and innocence, and now that that's gone, she's just like another clone of every other female character who's ever been in the comic: a nondescript snarky chick who always has to be a smartass.

Something had been bothering me about Claire for a while, and I FINALLY put my finger on it. Now, hopefully, I won't be bombarded with rotten produce for criticizing everyone's favorite little redhead....

You're not alone, just I'm pretty sure we're in the minority.  I don't think her brand of humour has changed that much, aside from coming out of her shell to some degree.  It just seems to me that her idea of humour functions/comes across best when it comes up on an occasional basis, not shoved in our faces continually as it has been for quite some time.

I didn't mind back when she was new and only intermittently in focus, but when it basically became The Claire Show from 2800 to 2900 or so (I think of this period as the "squeepocalypse"), the uber-focus turned me off her character.  Even now, her storylines keep boiling down to HAVE I MENTIONED I AM MARTEN'S GIRLFRIEND TODAY or variations thereof.  It's strange, because Jeph has handled the trans* aspects of her character very well and with substantial class.  It's her other personal traits, combined with the deific character shilling, that are grating and off-putting to me.

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB
« Reply #116 on: 31 Mar 2015, 08:41 »

I kinda feel the opposite, that Claire's innocent/shy stuff has been pretty much entirely relegated to her interactions with Marten romantically, while elsewhere she's been a character with insecurities who's always speaking her mind.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #117 on: 31 Mar 2015, 08:43 »

Now, hopefully, I won't be bombarded with rotten produce for criticizing everyone's favorite little redhead....

Chill with the persecution complex. Claire's gotten way more hate than love in the past few weeks, you're not unique in your dislike.

No hate to you for your opinion on my part, just a calm disagreement. She's always been a smartass, only now she feels more comfortable letting it show. Silence/shyness =/= intelligence, though talking opens the opportunity for ignorance to show. I haven't noticed anything stupid that she's said, so I'd guess nothing's changed there. Gotta remember, we only see parts of these characters' lives, and Jeph's focusing on their interpersonal relations, not intellectual pursuits. In her first strips, Claire read as desperate to be perceived as smart (to me, anyway) but now, it's accepted that she is, so she's letting her dork side shine through.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2015, 08:53 by chaospersonified »
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #118 on: 31 Mar 2015, 09:19 »

See?  This is why I was against Marten dating Claire.  Terrible sense of humour.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #119 on: 31 Mar 2015, 09:23 »

A terrible sense of humor is its own punalty.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #120 on: 31 Mar 2015, 09:25 »

Hope costs nothing. Unfortunately, that's often what it's worth . . .
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

tangerinewarrior

• Not quite a lurker
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #121 on: 31 Mar 2015, 09:33 »

I'll probably be alone in saying this since Claire seems to have some sort of squee-powered fanclub on here, but her character has gotten both boring and annoying ever since she got together with Marten.

I know where you're coming from. I'm not annoyed by her, but I feel the story lines with her and Martin have become too flat (boring maybe?). A lot of this comic focuses on character growth, and it feels Marten's and Claire's have stagnated. Squee can only carry you for so far. To be honest, I'd really like to know what other characters are doing. The focus on the last couple of months in comic has been Marten/Claire/Faye's downfall. While these have been good stories, I would love to have other characters checked in on. It feels they've all been put on the bus.
When life gives you lemons, keep them, because Hey, free lemons.

Dale Carnegie

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #122 on: 31 Mar 2015, 09:42 »

Is it possible to like someone and still be bothered by one or two aspects of their personality? Or to dislike someone and still allow they might have a redeeming quality or two?

</rhetorical question>
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #123 on: 31 Mar 2015, 10:25 »

Don't martyr yourself or anything... You seem to be overestimating the sort of response you're going to get.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #124 on: 31 Mar 2015, 10:33 »

whilst Claire, looking frightened and defensive, is cuddled up by Marten, knees drawn to her chest and sort of hiding behind him.

We've seen her have an anxiety attack before so that's plausible.

Quote from: BenRG
Suggested quote: "Every objection I can think of to you being with Marty I hear in my Aunt's voice. If that bigoted witch is the best I can come up with, then I don't have any objections that I respect.".

Dude, it's become clear that you are here on earth to tell stories. Drop some inessential part of your life and spend the time writing!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #125 on: 31 Mar 2015, 12:49 »

Honestly, if no characters in QC ever engaged in behaviour which could potentially be considered intentionally or unintentionally offensive by some, nobody would read this comic because there would be no drama or comedy.

And it would not be realistic.  We all offend others at some point in our lives.

Okay, this may be a bit of a derail, but how much does Pintsize weigh?  Marten appears to be one-handing him here.  If he has a metal phallus on his head, he probably weighs more (unless that's aircraft aluminum).

You are, off course, assuming that it's solid.  What if it's hollow?

That's just it -- she's plainly not "on her game", she just came from a stressful and presumably draining first experience with a support/rehab group.  It's entirely reasonable that she wouldn't be up for much in the way of humour immediately after that.

Which is what makes Claire's response such a jerkass move, and Marten for enabling her: it's entirely insensitive and inconsiderate. 

She already told them that she was in a light-hearted mood.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2015, 13:04 by HiFranc »
Francisco

TeaOfDeath

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #126 on: 31 Mar 2015, 13:23 »

Don't martyr yourself or anything... You seem to be overestimating the sort of response you're going to get.

Um, wow. It was a joke. No need to take everything so damn literally.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #127 on: 31 Mar 2015, 13:54 »

Everyone play nice. I'd hate for my favorite types of jokes (dick jokes) to become incredibly controversial. They're like... almost all I have.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #128 on: 31 Mar 2015, 13:59 »

Here explicit, have a hug.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #129 on: 31 Mar 2015, 15:16 »

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #130 on: 31 Mar 2015, 15:34 »

And I really can't see Faye reacting to the news about Claire (if she ever finds out) with anything more than a casual shrug.  Hey, as long as Marty's cool with it, that's fine by her.

I think most people should react. I think the only character who should just give a shrug like when she told Marten would be Tai(And maybe Momo? She is Polite Bot 9000). Faye should be surprised. Then probably a bit politically incorrect, if well meaning.

I'm not saying people shouldn't or won't react, but I can't see BenRG's scenario happening either, among any of the characters.  Basically, I've been considering this as a word association game.  Pick a QC character, give me a word or two describing their reaction to learning about Claire.  Some of them might be negative (I see Dora as "snide," and Marigold as "Mmmmph!", assuming Momo's social protocol programming kicks in in time), but I can't see anyone, least of all Faye, reacting with "shock."  In my mind, Faye's reaction is "blasé."  I don't doubt she'll be mildly surprised and might initially say something blunt, but ultimately I see her taking her cues from Marten.  He knows she's trans?  He's okay with that?  Well, good for him, and best of luck to them both.  She pretty much gave them her blessing that night at the bar when she first nudged the baby duck in Marty's direction, so she'd be a jerk to rescind that now.

Plus, I'm sure Claire is savvy enough to know when the best time to come out to Faye is, and how to get the best reaction.  She did it with Marten at the lake house, when she decided to see just how serious he was when he called her a friend, and she was able to turn coming out to Emily into a teachable moment, so I'm sure she knows how best to handle Faye.  Unless she wants to shock Faye into having a "Dude, your girlfriend is trans!" moment, just to get revenge for that night at the bar.  But maybe wait until Faye has something (non-alcoholic) to drink, first.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #131 on: 31 Mar 2015, 16:09 »

I get the feeling that any other comings-out (coming outs? outcomings? anyway...) will be pretty anticlimactic. Jeph doesn't do drama for the sake of it, and he's not going to play it for cheap laughs (which doesn't mean there won't necessarily be a punchline somewhere in there). Besides, in contrast to when she came out to Marten (who was the first non-family member we've seen her come out to), the playing field's different. She's more confident now than she was then, and -- as Gladstone mentions -- people's reactions are likely to be tempered not only by their relationships with her, but also with her relationship, and theirs, with Marten.

That said, I do foresee a bit of the shoe being on the other foot, with Claire doing some decidedly Marten-esque waffling and over-analysis either before or after the fact.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #132 on: 31 Mar 2015, 16:20 »

Here's how I see Faye's reaction to learning about Claire being trans:

Panel 1: Claire: "I'm trans."
Panel 2: Faye with mouth open, speechless.
Panel 3: Faye with mouth open, speechless.
Panel 4: Faye with mouth open, speechless.
Panel 5: Faye with mouth open, speechless.
Panel 6: Faye: "... Okay."
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #133 on: 31 Mar 2015, 16:26 »

Um, wow. It was a joke. No need to take everything so damn literally.

Welcome to the internet, where people can't read your tone! I also saw the way you started off and thought 'Oh, for fuck's sake.'

Because most people who start off like that think their opinion is more than that, that it's the truth and these other dumbasses just can't see it.

As a part of the disagreeing group, you essentially seemed to be saying 'you don't get it, do ya, fuckface?'

Which is not conducive to an open discussion. Any time you want to set users into 'groups' and imagine them as 'other,' just... Don't mention it, because you're probably wrong.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #134 on: 31 Mar 2015, 16:55 »

If Faye learns about Claire's status stemming from today's comic I see it happening like this:

Faye: Jeez, why are you so interested in my sculptured penises? You've got your own, leave mine alone.

*close up of Claire's shocked face*
Claire: *gasp* How long have you known I'm trans?

Faye: I was talking about your boyfriend's-WAIT, WHAT?
*close up of Faye with the same shocked expression*

Marten: Oh no.

*cliffhanger*

But then, I've been pretty bad at guessing how the actual comics end up. No matter how Faye learns about Claire, I truly hope she reacts the same way Emily did.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #135 on: 31 Mar 2015, 16:57 »

NOPE.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #136 on: 31 Mar 2015, 17:04 »

Casual transphobia is not a punchline.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #137 on: 31 Mar 2015, 17:23 »

I really don't see why people seem to fixate on that one aspect of Claire, and was rather glad that even the non-fans were more concerned with finding her sense of humour annoying, or pointing out possible lack of social skills.  I do eventually think that she will come-out to at least most of the cast.  Marigold is probably too socially inept, and may be an exception, even if Momo was fully-charged and standing next to her.  But I think that focusing on that would really detract from Claire's character being seen for *who* she is beyond her gender identity.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #138 on: 31 Mar 2015, 17:28 »

And really that potential storyline would be playing it for drama, something Jeph doesn't want to do.

Plus, it comes dangerously close to speculating about Claire's genitals, which... noooooope. Jeph's not gonna go there.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #139 on: 31 Mar 2015, 17:55 »

The four previous posts, rolled into one. It's just not going to go down like that.
Mistakes, ahoy!

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #140 on: 31 Mar 2015, 18:10 »

Note: It's April Fools tomorrow. I'm expecting more glowing dick chronicles. (Could look for the original but it's 3AM here so bedtime)
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #141 on: 31 Mar 2015, 18:11 »

A more realistic (if less dramatic) coming out for Claire might simply involve her letting those in the know start telling the others. "Something you may not know about Claire..." conversations happening without much fanfare. It'd be a bit like someone getting wet in a swimming pool by slowly lowering themselves into the water, rather than jumping in with a big splash. "Did you know Claire's transgender?" "Wow, no. Really? Is it hush hush?" "Not anymore. Pass it on if you want." "OK."

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #142 on: 31 Mar 2015, 18:22 »

Sounds like a bad game of Telephone waiting to happen.

"Did you know Claire was in Transformers?"
"Really?  Which one?"
"Dunno, Tai didn't say."
"Ugh, those movies are terrible."

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #143 on: 31 Mar 2015, 18:25 »

"Did you know Claire is transgender?"
"So?"
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #144 on: 31 Mar 2015, 18:27 »

A more realistic (if less dramatic) coming out for Claire might simply involve her letting those in the know start telling the others.

Why would she want people she's not sleeping with to know? She says she identifies as female and everyone reacts to her as such. No one's being mean about her past, she's got a boyfriend she likes, she's working in a library like she wanted. What is there to gain?

So far we've seen her tell Emily only so she wouldn't have to lie about why she'd never kissed anyone and Marten when it looked like he was about to make a move. If you'll recall she told him to not to spread it around, that doesn't indicate that she wants to just be out.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #145 on: 31 Mar 2015, 18:35 »

Dick first is better than ass backwards.
(Does anyone venture to disagree?)
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

cabbagehut

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #146 on: 31 Mar 2015, 18:43 »

Many trans* people prefer not to "come out" at all, because it opens them up to questions, bigotry, and in some cases/places, violence.  It's a little different that the other letters in the LGBTQA spectrum in the way that telling people that you are what you are can invalidate you in their eyes (e.g.: "you're not a 'real' woman" or seeing you only as your trans* identity and not just "woman" or "man"), though some of that happens with sexuality, too.

Of course, everyone's different, and some people want others to know and to be open about their experiences, which is fine, too.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #147 on: 31 Mar 2015, 18:51 »

Many trans* people prefer not to "come out" at all, because it opens them up to questions, bigotry, and in some cases/places, violence.  It's a little different that the other letters in the LGBTQA spectrum in the way that telling people that you are what you are can invalidate you in their eyes (e.g.: "you're not a 'real' woman" or seeing you only as your trans* identity and not just "woman" or "man"), though some of that happens with sexuality, too.

You mean like how the forum reacts to Claire?

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #148 on: 31 Mar 2015, 19:45 »

April first draws near. I wonder if we're going to be pranked again.
Mistakes, ahoy!

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #149 on: 31 Mar 2015, 20:03 »

Of course, everyone's different, and some people want others to know and to be open about their experiences, which is fine, too.

The QC-verse is different from ours - no AIs here for one thing. But similar in many ways:

And in this one... Texas HB1747 makes it illegal for anyone with female ID to use a male restroom, while HB1748 makes it illegal for anyone with XY chromosomes to use a female one.

Not being able to use a public restroom - including one at work - is a dead giveaway.

Maybe such asshattery is confined to the way AIs are treated in the QC-verse. Anyway, it's why I identify more with Momo than Claire.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up