THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 01:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 70   Go Down

Author Topic: This thread is like a broken pencil: pointless.  (Read 684185 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: This thread is like a broken pencil: pointless.
« Reply #3200 on: 10 Jun 2020, 16:28 »

Every day on Facebook:

Post: "This pop-culture quiz is so TERRIFYING, NO-ONE can get 100%"

273 Comments:
"Hey, I got 100%"
"I must be a pop-culture queen, I got 100%!"
"Hey, me too!"

Imagine that.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3201 on: 10 Jun 2020, 18:46 »

And no one tells them that those pop-culture quizzes are data miners for spambots.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3202 on: 10 Jun 2020, 19:19 »

I've tried, at least with some of them. They still see them as harmless. It's hopeless.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3203 on: 11 Jun 2020, 02:32 »

IF PUTTING PEOPLE THROUGH TABLES IS WRAWWWWNG

(click to show/hide)

I'm so happy watching it. Not only remembering watching it all go down night after night, but also just impressed with the performances by everyone in the ring in that fight. Took some time the other night with my brother and not only did a rewatch, but doing replays focusing on certain performers, freeze frames to point out and appreciate signals and good teamwork, etc. i love watching a good wrestling performance! i don't always entirely get ballet, but that special mix of physical performance and soap opera bigger-than-life delivery, yesss shoot that shit into my veins

I have been a wrestling fan for over two decades. If you're not careful, we will be talking about this a LOT.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #3204 on: 11 Jun 2020, 07:05 »

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #3205 on: 12 Jun 2020, 07:18 »

I have been a wrestling fan for over two decades. If you're not careful, we will be talking about this a LOT.

I adore when Bubba Ray taps Steven Richards to let him know they're about to actually do the drop! and also how he sneaks glances over at D-Von to see if he's ready for them, and whether he and Steven need to keep mugging for the crowd a little longer. And D-Von noticing the microphone was gonna be in the way and getting it out so they wouldn't potentially hurt Steven worse than the stunt required.

and the way Ivory (?) snuck out of the shot and ring right before the betrayal, and how the camera operators and feed-callers(? you know what i mean) manipulated the shots to cover for her, and honestly just all around. And how Val Venus (i think?) rolls his ass right the fuck out of the ring after he's defeated and sells that beautiful Dudley Death Drop, since he's just a minion who's been defeated and he needs to not be in the way of the main stunt. and and and

aaaaaa

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #3206 on: 12 Jun 2020, 07:20 »

AND I WILL NEVER GET OVER HOW GREAT D-VON AND BUBBA RAY AND VAL DID THAT SLAM IT'S A WORK OF FUCKING ART

edit: and it is utterly unfair of me not to give props also to King, Michael (who thankfully gave a decent performance from the booth that night), and also mad props to the camera operator who tracked Val damned well and helped sell the action of the drop even better, i just had to go back and look again and note that, i don't know how someone can get that smooth on the handle but hot damn it's another of those tragically-easy-to-overlook things that makes that feel even hotter than it is (which was already hot hot hot)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3207 on: 12 Jun 2020, 12:50 »

I adore when Bubba Ray taps Steven Richards to let him know they're about to actually do the drop! and also how he sneaks glances over at D-Von to see if he's ready for them, and whether he and Steven need to keep mugging for the crowd a little longer. And D-Von noticing the microphone was gonna be in the way and getting it out so they wouldn't potentially hurt Steven worse than the stunt required.

and the way Ivory (?) snuck out of the shot and ring right before the betrayal, and how the camera operators and feed-callers(? you know what i mean) manipulated the shots to cover for her, and honestly just all around. And how Val Venus (i think?) rolls his ass right the fuck out of the ring after he's defeated and sells that beautiful Dudley Death Drop, since he's just a minion who's been defeated and he needs to not be in the way of the main stunt. and and and

aaaaaa

The little touches like the noticing of when the spot is happening or calling for time are some of my favourite things about the art of wrestling.

Something I learned only a few years ago despite years of watching. Lots of wrestlers wear wrist tape. Why? They're not really fighting, they don't need to strengthen their punches - it's because it makes it easier to grip the wrist while doing an Irish Whip. Shit like that, man. The little things turning in wrestling.

AND I WILL NEVER GET OVER HOW GREAT D-VON AND BUBBA RAY AND VAL DID THAT SLAM IT'S A WORK OF FUCKING ART

edit: and it is utterly unfair of me not to give props also to King, Michael (who thankfully gave a decent performance from the booth that night), and also mad props to the camera operator who tracked Val damned well and helped sell the action of the drop even better, i just had to go back and look again and note that, i don't know how someone can get that smooth on the handle but hot damn it's another of those tragically-easy-to-overlook things that makes that feel even hotter than it is (which was already hot hot hot)

I think Val took a good number of those over the years, although I think the most 3Ded person is probably one of the Hardy Boyz. Did you know that I think only two or three people have ever kicked out of that move? It's one of the most protected finishers in the history of wrestling, way more than the Stunner, even the Atomic Leg Drop. And one of the only people to have kicked out? Alex Shelley. It's so funny that wrestling spends so much time putting over stuff they claim to have not seen before when they have, and one of the only legitimately 'never happens' things in all of wrestling I barely ever see get mentioned.

Cole is possibly the most underrated commentator in the history of wrestling. I'm guessing you haven't watched in a good long time, and for good reason, but if you were to ever try out the Network, watch Beast in the East or the United Kingdom Championship Tournament from 2016 to see Michael Cole, off the leash, actually bothering to learn people's names and show respect. The man has a goddamn Blue Peter badge now, and when Vince isn't screaming in his ear, he is actually one of the best.

Plus he straight up apologised on television during the second Mae Young Classic for burying women on television previously during the Heel Cole days. And he used to be a war journalist, so he's not to be fucked with.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #3208 on: 12 Jun 2020, 16:21 »

Okay, i'm happy to hear Cole is doing better than the last time I saw him, which was Wrestlemania 33 (2017), which i must say as someone who'd only *really* kept up weekly back in the beginning of the century was just hilarious to be the one Wrestlemania i happened to actually see, what with the Hardy return and Triple H+Steph ringside shenanigans and Goldberg v Lesner and so on and so on

and i remember Cole being a miserable, awkward shit for a lot of that night. which uh.. probably didn't help that SquareEnix was the main sponsor and he had to say shit about Final Fantasy :x

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3209 on: 03 Jul 2020, 15:57 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3210 on: 03 Jul 2020, 18:34 »

I agree with the comic. Start with The Hobbit. Its far more enjoyable than LotR. Its also an easy read.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3211 on: 09 Jul 2020, 18:34 »

The Hobbit reads like a book for children. Because that's what it is.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3212 on: 10 Jul 2020, 04:48 »

I started reading at The Two Towers - it was a gift. So, my first reading order was The Two Towers, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Return of the King, Farmer Giles of Ham, Silmarillion, and only then The Hobbit.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #3214 on: 12 Jul 2020, 03:46 »

Looking at how light-hearted LotR was until Bree, or maybe even up to rivendell, you can see it was initially set to be more of a child friendly adventure...
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3215 on: 12 Jul 2020, 17:48 »

I am late to this as usual, but if you haven't seen it before, then enjoy.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3216 on: 17 Jul 2020, 16:41 »

Making the Imaginary Pie from the movie Hook
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #3217 on: 21 Jul 2020, 07:57 »

So, being the ignorant Eurocommie that I am, I just learned about Frederick Douglass last week. And while the man is nothing but inspirational - though I've to admit I've yet to read some of the books he himself wrote about his life and experiences, as opposed to what other ppl wrote about him - my stupid head seems unable to shake an embarrassingly mundane thought:

'HotDamn that Douglas guy is one handsome dude!'

He just looks royal in a way that few actual royalty ever manage to pull of. Wouldn't be surprised to learn that George Lucas (or yknow, someone in costumes) modeled Billy Dee Williams' Lando Calrissian look after that potrait of Douglass'?

P.S.: Is this objectifying a historic person of colour? I hope it's not. I mean, I'm aware - in broad strokes at least - of his importance and life achievements, its just that he has one of those looks ppl call 'striking'.

Edit: I've been told it's 'Frederick with a c'. Wondering when someone will point out my taking some liberties with the past tense as well ...
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2020, 10:32 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3218 on: 21 Jul 2020, 09:59 »

(Psst - Frederick. With a c.)
Just another Joe like 46

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3219 on: 21 Jul 2020, 18:47 »

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #3220 on: 22 Jul 2020, 09:50 »

Those are some very large pictures
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3221 on: 22 Jul 2020, 15:17 »

It would be more appropriate to have just been small text over a single picture of a kid in a campground doing the spooky flashlight thing.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3223 on: 29 Jul 2020, 04:28 »

(click to show/hide)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Just another Joe like 46

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #3226 on: 04 Aug 2020, 18:57 »

Mille, we found your emu.

Unfortunately, this article is not available in my country.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3227 on: 05 Aug 2020, 05:09 »

Unfortunately, this article is not available in my country.

How about: Scottsdale PD Tweet

Anyone missing an Emu? Officers from our Foothills District (D4) captured an Emu this morning walking in the area of Legend Trail Pkwy & Roadrunner. Please call our non-emergency number at 480-312-5000 if you have lost your bird or you know where this animal belongs.
Just another Joe like 46

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3228 on: 05 Aug 2020, 08:30 »

I can't remember if I already did this

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3229 on: 05 Aug 2020, 15:27 »

I'm obviously missing something, as usual. Also, is that a fart joke in panel 3?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3230 on: 05 Aug 2020, 18:26 »

The harpie lives alone (panel 1), people only bother her if they need something (panels 4,5,6). Witch comes over and invites her to a party. Its kind of a d'aww moment since the harpie doesn't appear to really have friends but the witch inviting her out she may have had one all along.

No not farting in panel 3, just rummaging through her bag to get the invite for the harpie.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #3231 on: 10 Aug 2020, 05:02 »

Peak Australian Culinary Debate.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3232 on: 10 Aug 2020, 07:46 »

Is that Kiwi marmite?  It looks different from the British stuff that I'm used to buying.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3233 on: 10 Aug 2020, 11:44 »

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3234 on: 10 Aug 2020, 17:45 »

Is that Kiwi marmite?  It looks different from the British stuff that I'm used to buying.

Ah. It is indeed different from the British stuff, and this is a minor annoyance for me which I may or may not have brought up here before, I don't recall...

Basically the Sanitarium company here in Australia and NZ, which happens to be owned by the Seventh-day Adventist Church (please don't get me started again), decided to market a spread and call it Marmite. They got the trademark before the British company did, I believe (I am now searching for a reference and can't easily find one, so... I can't swear it to be true). Anyway, the point is, this product is completely different from the British product, and because it exists, British Marmite imported into Australia has to be rebranded as "Our Mate." I guess there is a similar situation in NZ.

There are a bunch of variants on this spread, of which Vegemite is the best known and most commonly connected with Australia, and while they are all obviously quite similar, they are also markedly distinct.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3235 on: 11 Aug 2020, 04:06 »

Interesting because the advertising jingle for Marmite over here was 'Our mate... Marrrrmiiiite' for a long time.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3237 on: 11 Aug 2020, 16:02 »

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qegk8tnCjr1u4nbmv.mp4
He’s Shaun the sheep
(He’s Shaun the sheep)
He’s Shaun the sheep
(He’s Shaun the sheep)

He even mucks about with those who cannot bleat
Keep it in mind,
He's one of a kind
Oh life's a treat with Shaun the sheep

He's Shaun the sheep
(He’s Shaun the sheep)
He's Shaun the sheep
(He’s Shaun the sheep)

He doesn't miss a trick or ever lose a beat
(Lose a beat)
Perhaps one day
You’ll find a way
To... come and meet with Shaun the sheep
Oh... come and bleat with Shaun the sheep!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3238 on: 11 Aug 2020, 16:12 »

As much as I am bemused and annoyed by American recipes that specify sticks of butter, at least that's less annoying than the ones that specify tablespoons.

Tablespoons of butter. Tablespoons. How are you supposed to measure that?

JUST SPECIFY A WEIGHT, YOU HEATHENS. For flour, too. Everything that's not a fluid, actually. There are all these "hacks" online on how to deal with this. Just... WHY. UGH.

Also, are you guys going to join the rest of us and use the metric sy- no? Okay then.

alc40

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #3239 on: 11 Aug 2020, 18:17 »

As much as I am bemused and annoyed by American recipes that specify sticks of butter, at least that's less annoying than the ones that specify tablespoons.

Tablespoons of butter. Tablespoons. How are you supposed to measure that?
I think the tablespoon measurements follow pretty closely from the assumption that the butter is in stick form, because sticks generally have tablespoon (and fractional cup) markers on the wrapper:

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3240 on: 11 Aug 2020, 18:30 »

That explains it, I guess. Our butter has gram markers.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3241 on: 12 Aug 2020, 00:36 »

I've had much the same discussion with my wife, who's from Russia. They measure in glasses.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #3242 on: 12 Aug 2020, 01:32 »

I mean, if we were talking about melted butter, that would be alright.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3243 on: 12 Aug 2020, 09:40 »

Math joke:

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3244 on: 12 Aug 2020, 10:52 »

I think that could work in a non-Euclidean geometry. Spherical, I want to say, but possibly that would only wok for any three of the people.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3245 on: 12 Aug 2020, 15:05 »

bastille is correct. how AM i gonna be an optimist about this?
well if you close your eyes

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #3246 on: 15 Aug 2020, 21:28 »

I think that could work in a non-Euclidean geometry. Spherical, I want to say, but possibly that would only wok for any three of the people.

It can work in a space with negative curvature (think about a rubber sheet with two opposite corners pulled up and the other two pulled down).  In a negative-curvature topology, distance increases the further you are from the "center" so you can have the hypotenuses cross the center to reach the opposite corner, traversing the same distance as the length of one of the legs, because the legs are at a greater distance from the center.

The problem with it is there's no shape in three-dimensional "flat" space whose surface is uniformly negatively-curved.  The "saddle" topology I described above can get you a local surface, but the local surface does not make a closed solid of uniform negative curvature the way a sphere gives a good model of uniform positive curvature.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #3247 on: 15 Aug 2020, 21:38 »

Last conversation I had with a Russian about the measure of foodstuffs, he told me a gallon was a little bit more than a third of a ten-kilogram block of milk, and marveled at the amount of plastic we have to use to sell and handle it in liquid form.

They keep it on the front porch until they're ready to break off a chunk about the size they want, bring it inside, and use it. (not sure 'front porch' is really the idea - the houses have an out-of-the-wind shelter attached to the front door so people don't get frostbite on their fingers as they're unlocking the door or breaking ice off of it).

Evidently the only item sold in liquid form that far north in Russia, is Vodka. 
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2020, 21:51 by Morituri »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #3248 on: 20 Aug 2020, 12:38 »

The tiger in my kid's coloring book has a lion's tail.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3249 on: 20 Aug 2020, 12:49 »

And here I had always thought that it was spelt "tyger".
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 70   Go Up