Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 03 Dec 2020, 08:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67]   Go Down

Author Topic: This thread is like a broken pencil: pointless.  (Read 337804 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter

Tova

• Preventing third impact
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: This thread is like a broken pencil: pointless.
« Reply #3301 on: 07 Nov 2020, 14:40 »

They could have made it a picture of a pier, BUT NO  :roll:
'A true thing, poorly expressed, is a lie.'

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #3302 on: 09 Nov 2020, 08:50 »

I was always under the impression 'pear' was pronounced like 'bear', not 'peer'. Or does that depend on regional accents?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Definitely DEFINITELY not touching my balls
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?
« Reply #3303 on: 09 Nov 2020, 13:07 »

It does differ on regional accents. You might find folks from Australia, say, might have more of a 'pier' kind of pronunciation of that word.

That said, I thought that part of the joke in this case was that it barely works.

It took me along time to work out that 'Squirrel Girl,' in many American accents, rhymes.
There's a difference to being bisexual and taking what you can get.
www.madcap156.wordpress.com

Gnabberwocky

• Curry sauce
  • Eminently punchable
« Reply #3304 on: 09 Nov 2020, 13:13 »

It does differ on regional accents. You might find folks from Australia, say, might have more of a 'pier' kind of pronunciation of that word.

That said, I thought that part of the joke in this case was that it barely works.

It took me along time to work out that 'Squirrel Girl,' in many American accents, rhymes.
You're in Britain, right? How do you say it there?
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
« Reply #3305 on: 09 Nov 2020, 13:20 »

'Pair.'

P-ehh-uhrr.

Like air. Or rare.

That said, my Irish friends tend to seem to make that word into two syllables with a y dividing them.

Also there are accents up north where it would be pronounced 'Puhr' or forgive me 'Purr' or I guess almost 'Pür'.

Gnabberwocky

• Curry sauce
  • Eminently punchable
« Reply #3306 on: 09 Nov 2020, 13:36 »

'Pair.'

P-ehh-uhrr.

Like air. Or rare.

That said, my Irish friends tend to seem to make that word into two syllables with a y dividing them.

Also there are accents up north where it would be pronounced 'Puhr' or forgive me 'Purr' or I guess almost 'Pür'.
Hah, total misunderstanding. That's my bad. I meant "Squirrel."
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
« Reply #3307 on: 09 Nov 2020, 13:48 »

:mrgreen:

I KNEW ALL ALONG

*throws fourteen pages of notes out of shot*

Skwih-rull.

Squirrel.

As opposed to squirl.

There's a whole other syllable there! It's one of the more surprising ones for me.

Case

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #3308 on: 09 Nov 2020, 17:26 »

Obligatory teutonic Eichhörnchen-massacre is obligatory:

Obligatory squirrel-venge is obligatory as well, of course  :evil:

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Morituri

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3309 on: 09 Nov 2020, 17:44 »

Once someone visiting our third-grade class told us a story about a squirl named Earl and and a squirrel named Beryl.   Who had some kind of argument that they took to the local wise-thing - who was, of course, an owl named Al.  Al wrote out his opinion with a pen and hung it on the wall with a pin, and then asked them in to share ten tins of biscuits and tea with their neighbor, Mr. Crock O'dyle, who couldn't quite decide if he was from Scotland or Australia so they had to listen to the way he spoke to figure it out.  It turned out he was originally from Africa, but had been raised in Australia, where he'd been adopted by a Mr. Gator - who had the same first name as the local wise-thing but pronounced it slightly differently....

I remember it vividly - even though the rest of third grade is mostly so much mush in my brain - because Beryl was my grandmother's given name.  And the audience-participation bit was particularly fun.
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2020, 17:55 by Morituri »

cesium133

• comeback tour!
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

LeeC

• coprophage
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3311 on: 12 Nov 2020, 19:16 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

N.N. Marf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • the joke with a microscope
« Reply #3312 on: 13 Nov 2020, 01:49 »

I'm exactly that way about names: call me whatever.. but not something awful like that.
---Bone Daddy
Quote from: don't recall
If you consider post count as age, I'm quite old. Most of us are certifiably ancient around here. But like age, it often doesn't reflect maturity.
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3313 on: 13 Nov 2020, 06:17 »

I only recently learned about Mansa Musa, the richest man in history. A 14th Century West African ruler who was so rich his generous handouts wrecked an entire country's economy

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #3314 on: 13 Nov 2020, 09:00 »

Obligatory teutonic Eichhörnchen-massacre is obligatory:
Obligatory squirrel-venge is obligatory as well, of course  :evil:

As an Austrian, I can one-up you on "Eichhörnchen": "Oachkatzlschwoaf". That's some heavy general Austrian dialect for "squirrel's tail". It's a word anyone north of the Weißwurst-equator is basically unable to pronounce properly.
Regional variaton of "Eichhörnchen" is "Eichkätzchen", but that always is dragged down to localised pronunciation.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Morituri

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3315 on: 13 Nov 2020, 11:32 »

Hmm.  I wonder how Mansa Musa's fortune compares to that of Lucius Annaeus Seneca aka Seneca the Younger, of the Roman Empire. 

Seneca, in addition to his more well-known activities as a writer, statesman, imperial advisor, and Philosopher, was also ridiculously wealthy.  I remember a philosophy class where the professor telling us that at by the time of his death, he had a fortune of over 600 Million Sestertii, mostly accumulated through usery.  That was several times the annual budget of the Roman Empire - easily enough to have wrecked the Roman economy if he'd used it that way.  The professor thought it was a greater fraction of the world's actual wealth than ever controlled by any other single person, before or since.  But I don't think the philosophy professor was counting Africa.

Seneca's the poster child for predatory lending practices:  he gave large loans to the kings and emperors of other lands, secured by collateral worth more than the loans naturally, and would then foreclose without warning at a time when he knew the loans couldn't be repaid, claiming the collateral.  If he could manage it he'd wait to pull that stunt until the victim had been already making payments for years and the loan income was about to run out.   

He's also reputed to have paved the way for Roman conquest more than a few times by calling in all the loans he'd made in some country at once, so that they could only just barely be repaid, tanking the local economy so they couldn't field a defense just a year or so before the planned invasion.  Or deliberately tanking some country's economy like that so that some third-party would overextend its own military budget and drain its resources invading them - then offer a loan to the third-party that didn't realize what had just happened - then a few years later tank *their* economy right before the Romans invaded taking both territories. 

And the Roman empire would often pay him hansomly for his help!  Especially since he would "advise" the Emperor to do so and often controlled a seat in the Senate and, you know, had connections.

And this guy wrote about Stoicism - accepting your lot in life, as every position has value, every calling is great when greatly pursued, and attempts to better your station cause only strife.  Advising slaves to be loyal to their masters, and so forth.  While ripping people off left and right.

Boudicca and a few other people got really, really angry with him.  Can't blame them a bit actually.

Case

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #3316 on: 13 Nov 2020, 16:53 »

Hmm.  I wonder how Mansa Musa's fortune compares to that of Lucius Annaeus Seneca aka Seneca the Younger, of the Roman Empire. 

Seneca, in addition to his more well-known activities as a writer, statesman, imperial advisor, and Philosopher, was also ridiculously wealthy. 
<snip>
Boudicca and a few other people got really, really angry with him.  Can't blame them a bit actually.

Yup
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

LeeC

• coprophage
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3317 on: 13 Nov 2020, 20:30 »

Mansa Musa is reported to be incredibly rich and "There’s really no way to put an accurate number on his wealth," according to a CNN business article linked on Wikipedia. His estimated peak wealth is US$418 billion. He had a very successful trans-sarahan trade empire along with gold and salt deposits in his kingdom that he exploited.

edit: removed my statement about Seneca because I'm a dolt and read the wealth of a different Roman and posted it.  Oddly enough Seneca isn't mentioned on the Wikipedia list of wealthiest people in history.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3318 on: 15 Nov 2020, 10:37 »

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67]   Go Up