THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 00:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 70   Go Down

Author Topic: This thread is like a broken pencil: pointless.  (Read 684156 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: This thread is like a broken pencil: pointless.
« Reply #2700 on: 18 Nov 2018, 03:27 »

I um... hmmm.. that's odd. Thanks. Fixed.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2701 on: 19 Nov 2018, 07:56 »

https://www.today.com/popculture/your-life-lie-zodiac-has-changed-here-s-your-new-t103295

So I'm a Sagittarius now.  :venonat:

To be fair I think Nostradamus said that a 13th zodiac would reveal itself at some point.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2702 on: 19 Nov 2018, 08:25 »

Nostradamus what he was on about. In this book, at least.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2703 on: 19 Nov 2018, 11:43 »

The translation is about sweet jams? :psyduck:

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2704 on: 19 Nov 2018, 11:54 »

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2705 on: 19 Nov 2018, 13:43 »

The translation is about sweet jams? :psyduck:

Yep. In his own time, the man was famous for his jams.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #2706 on: 19 Nov 2018, 15:56 »

Most cats are descended from a long line of bachelors.

And, come to think of it, a long line of bastards as well.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2707 on: 20 Nov 2018, 08:43 »

Adorable and wholesome 8 panel comic
Fairy First Aid
https://imgur.com/gallery/Vwp5GSs

Morituri

« Reply #2708 on: 22 Nov 2018, 12:26 »

A random math problem has been distracting me occasionally for a week or so.  This morning I woke up knowing the answer.

One lunar month is equal to exactly 167/10 + 349/29 days.

Accurate to within a minute or so in a thousand years. Of course this assumes that the ratio of lunar months to days remains constant.  In the long-ish run (thousands of years) it does, but in the very short run (within a single year) it fluctuates with the time of year and precession of the apsides, and in the very long run (tens of millions of years) it lengthens as Earth's tides gradually subtract rotational inertia from the planet's spin and add it to the moon's orbit.

So, as with everything, this is an approximation.  But it's a pretty good approximation for the next several thousand years.

« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2018, 11:21 by Morituri »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2709 on: 23 Nov 2018, 00:57 »

A random math problem has been distracting me occasionally for a week or so.  This morning I woke up knowing the answer.

One day is equal to exactly 167/10 + 349/29 lunar months.

Accurate to within a minute or so in a thousand years. Of course this assumes that the ratio of lunar months to days remains constant.  In the long-ish run (thousands of years) it does, but in the very short run (within a single year) it fluctuates with the time of year and precession of the apsides, and in the very long run (tens of millions of years) it lengthens as Earth's tides gradually subtract rotational inertia from the planet's spin and add it to the moon's orbit.

So, as with everything, this is an approximation.  But it's a pretty good approximation for the next several thousand years.

Now that's pretty damn freaky...
This EXACT subject was raised on a radio talk show just yesterday!!!
(I mean... whataretheodds!?)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Morituri

« Reply #2710 on: 23 Nov 2018, 11:18 »

Really?  What station?  What country even?  And did they come up with the same fraction sum?

I'd been thinking about how to make gearing that a clock could use.  The ratio of 25101 days to 850 lunar months is fairly well known (to the vanishingly small number of people who actually care) but 2789 is a prime factor of 25101 and it's really hard to cut a gear with 2789 teeth. 

So I'd been thinking, since gears with more than 360 teeth are impractical, about how to express it using numbers smaller than 360.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2711 on: 23 Nov 2018, 20:09 »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2712 on: 26 Nov 2018, 01:26 »

Really?  What station?  What country even?  And did they come up with the same fraction sum?

I'd been thinking about how to make gearing that a clock could use.  The ratio of 25101 days to 850 lunar months is fairly well known (to the vanishingly small number of people who actually care) but 2789 is a prime factor of 25101 and it's really hard to cut a gear with 2789 teeth. 

So I'd been thinking, since gears with more than 360 teeth are impractical, about how to express it using numbers smaller than 360.

LBC in the UK.

Basically a Chat station which Im obsessed with just now because of the whole brexit farce.
One of the presenters has a section where they open the lines to Questions or Answers and it's a free=for-all of people asking questions and others trying to give answers if the host cannot.

And the question of the energy lost/exchanged between the moon and the earth through tidal forces came up!
Covenant

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2713 on: 26 Nov 2018, 07:18 »

RPGs with tons of characters

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2714 on: 26 Nov 2018, 13:58 »

In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2715 on: 27 Nov 2018, 20:42 »

If you like Arthorian Legends you may appreciate this video that broke down the myth and history...plus the characters all have the most luxurious hair I've ever seen.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2716 on: 28 Nov 2018, 18:28 »

Jesse Cox and Octopimp team up with TNG in this adventure:

Love the Data and Riker part, and desperatley want a gif of it.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2717 on: 29 Nov 2018, 15:50 »

I’ll tell you what’s ferocious. Freddie’s comeback to Sid calling him “Freddie Platinum” when they were recording down the hall from each other at London’s Wessex Studios (Queen for News of the World, Pistols for Bollocks).

Sid Vicious made the mistake one day of bursting into Queen’s control room and antagonizing their frontman. “Have you succeeded in bringing ballet to the masses, then?” he sneered. “Oh, yes, Simon Ferocious,” Mercury replied. “We’re trying our best, dear.”

Then, according to Queen biographer Daniel Nester, Freddie rose from his chair and began to playfully flick the safety pins displayed on the front of Sid’s leather jacket. “Tell me,” he asked, “did you arrange these pins just so?” When Sid stepped forward in an attempt to intimidate Freddie, the singer simply pushed him backwards and inquired, “What are you going to do about it?” Sid immediately backed down.

Morituri

« Reply #2718 on: 30 Nov 2018, 14:06 »

A sign of maturity; recognizing a situation in which a fight is motivated solely by ego, that ego is not worth fighting over, and that fighting will accomplish nothing beneficial. Kudos to Mercury for not going hyperbolic over Sid's intrusion.  Kudos to Sid for not rising to Mercury's blatant if playful baiting.  Kudos to both for de-escalating.

Given the people involved, I wonder whether Mercury was actually making fun of Sid, or just flirting with him.  Or, embracing his fundamental and well-known ambiguity, both.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2719 on: 01 Dec 2018, 09:11 »

As I was pondering the death of the first President I voted for, I was curious about the state of former Presidents who lived past their dates in office.

In the 51 years I have lived on this planet, there was one period of time where there was a total of zero former presidents of the US who were still living. In fact, the US went from two former living presidents to none in the space of 28 days prior to that.

Over 564 days, the only man who knew the pressure of being President was the then-current office holder. The streak ended when he stepped into the helicopter on the White House lawn and was whisked off to Yorba Linda, California as the first president to resign from office.

There is a distinct irony in the fact that there were no former presidents around during what could be argued as the worst preiod of time in the history of the office.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2720 on: 03 Dec 2018, 07:10 »

For some reason I can hear Ozzy man narrating this whole gif and it makes it that much better

Context for those that don't know Ozzy Man

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2721 on: 03 Dec 2018, 13:30 »

Ozzy Man has some slightly misogynist videos but 1. I have seen him make numerous ones as a correction for having done that previously 2. he just makes me smile with his absurdity and zest for life.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2722 on: 03 Dec 2018, 13:46 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2723 on: 03 Dec 2018, 19:47 »

With the passing of GHWB this week, I came across something that I found very odd.

Currently, there are four former POTUSes still living (I'll let you the reader figure out who they are). Did you know that there have been only six times in US history (outside of President Washington) where there have been no living former presidents?

John Adams was the first, as Washington died before he left office. There wasn't another until Ulysses Grant's term, where Andrew Johnson passed before Grant left office - and all other presidents had died by that time. Grover Cleveland saw this happen during his second term in the White House (aside: he is considered both the 22nd and 24th President, as he was the only one to serve non-consecutive terms in office). Next was Teddy Roosevelt, who became President on the death of William McKinley. Before leaving office, all of his living predecessors in the job had passed on. Herbert Hoover was next, as his predecessor Calvin Coolidge had passed away and all the other presidents between Roosevelt and Warren Harding (who had died in office) were also dead.

However, the longest (and now most recent) period where there were no living former presidents was from January 23, 1973 to August 9, 1974. This time frame (from the date of Lyndon Johnson's death to Nixon's resignation) was the longest that the USA went without a former living president.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2724 on: 04 Dec 2018, 08:49 »

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2725 on: 04 Dec 2018, 12:47 »

I HAVE WATCHED THIS THIRTY TIMES PLS SEND HELP

The weird illusion that the ground is moving at the start of the video is doing things to my brain.
« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2018, 12:55 by Tova »
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2726 on: 04 Dec 2018, 13:02 »

That cat looks quite a lot like one of mine.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2727 on: 04 Dec 2018, 13:07 »

My black cat likes to do that flop thing when you get home after being away all day. It's pretty adorable.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2728 on: 04 Dec 2018, 14:34 »

Cats seem to have a way of behaving when they know they've been rumbled and have given up but don't want to admit it.

My littlest often likes to steal crisp packets. He growls like a bastard at anyone trying to take it off him, but I'm pretty good at catching him. Once I got a hand on him, but failed to actually catch him - I hadn't got his scruff. He could have easily got away. But he just stayed there, growling at me, until I took the packet out of his mouth. It's like he knew he wasn't going to win this one but refused to give up his pride by not growling.

When the second person is ejecting him, the cat seems to do that. Slight swerve away from the graspy hands, but really, definitely could have got away from her and didn't.

Morituri

« Reply #2729 on: 05 Dec 2018, 01:01 »

When Gravity's Little Helper (one of several names we use for our cat) is caught in a criminal act and wants to act noncholant, she sits down and grooms herself at you.

"Oh, did I just knock that on the floor and break it?  Yes, I did.  Okay, I need you to watch me licking myself now."

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2730 on: 05 Dec 2018, 01:12 »

A sign of maturity; recognizing a situation in which a fight is motivated solely by ego, that ego is not worth fighting over, and that fighting will accomplish nothing beneficial. Kudos to Mercury for not going hyperbolic over Sid's intrusion.  Kudos to Sid for not rising to Mercury's blatant if playful baiting.  Kudos to both for de-escalating.

Given the people involved, I wonder whether Mercury was actually making fun of Sid, or just flirting with him.  Or, embracing his fundamental and well-known ambiguity, both.

That's weird... Not how I read the above at all.

Sid tried to rip the piss out of Freddie.
Freddie retaliated and expanded.
Sid threatened physicality.
Freddie stood up to him and gave him a shove (And verbal warning)
Sid backed off cos he was at heart a scared wee boy playing at being a rebel cos all his mates were doing so.
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2018, 01:30 by JoeCovenant »
Covenant

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2731 on: 05 Dec 2018, 08:33 »

Rich Evans of RedLetterMedia appears on The Ellen Show

Tova

• coprophage

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2733 on: 07 Dec 2018, 02:53 »

Today's random video is RIQUÍSIMO!

I dunno what the guy says at the end...

...but I think i might agree with hi! :)
Covenant

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #2734 on: 07 Dec 2018, 03:30 »

My Spanish is rusty, but I'm fairly certain he says "¿Qué es esta mierda?" => "What is this sh*t?"
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2736 on: 10 Dec 2018, 16:00 »

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2737 on: 11 Dec 2018, 04:46 »

Joy to the World on Chinese instruments:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2738 on: 11 Dec 2018, 23:09 »

I got 2 posts on front page of imgur today!  :-D

https://imgur.com/gallery/bHof41x

https://imgur.com/gallery/1yfpR5z
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2018, 06:13 by LeeC »

Morituri

« Reply #2739 on: 11 Dec 2018, 20:46 »

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2740 on: 12 Dec 2018, 03:45 »

Hoo boy. That made me want to jump up and feed the kitten myself. That must be the toxoplasmosis talking.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2741 on: 12 Dec 2018, 07:58 »

Uh. Were they feeding that cat scramble eggs?

Morituri

« Reply #2742 on: 12 Dec 2018, 13:59 »

I think they were.  Apparently the guy found hungry kitten wandering in the street on a trip and brought the little guy back to his hotel room to try to get something to eat.  Didn't really plan to have a cat around, so no actual cat food.  Scrambling an egg is nontoxic for cats and used food he had on hand.

Of course this meant kitteh had to wait, while s/he could smell food cooking, as the guy scrambled the egg, which meant getting steadily more excited.  Hungry kitten does not like waiting.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2743 on: 12 Dec 2018, 15:34 »

Oh, my scarred hands are very familiar with terrifying food kittens.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2744 on: 12 Dec 2018, 19:29 »

Hoo boy. That made me want to jump up and feed the kitten myself. That must be the toxoplasmosis talking.

Your toxoplasmosis is a Good Man:-D
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2746 on: 14 Dec 2018, 02:15 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2747 on: 14 Dec 2018, 06:26 »

That's just baaad.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2748 on: 14 Dec 2018, 18:16 »

I see what ewe did there.

On an unrelated note.

John Cage's 4'20"

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #2749 on: 15 Dec 2018, 14:04 »

I'm still amused that people have gotten copyright flagged on YouTube and elsewhere for "posting" 4'33".
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 70   Go Up