THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 15 Apr 2024, 22:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who do you want this week's strips to center on?

Marten
- 6 (9%)
Faye
- 18 (26.9%)
Dora
- 8 (11.9%)
Hannelore
- 8 (11.9%)
Momo
- 7 (10.4%)
Marigold
- 3 (4.5%)
Claire
- 11 (16.4%)
Other (please specify in comment)
- 6 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: 29 Apr 2015, 05:04

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2947-2951 (27 April to 1 May 2015)  (Read 40432 times)

Gladstone

• The Tickler
Re: WCDT 2947-2951 (27 April to 1 May 2015)
« Reply #100 on: 27 Apr 2015, 22:18 »

And ugh, the old version worked so much better. Especially Claire's line.

I know!  Didn't even clash with continuity.  We should start a petition to convince Jeph to change it back.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #101 on: 27 Apr 2015, 22:29 »

He didn't even know how right he'd be!

https://twitter.com/jephjacques/status/592757427331805188

I'll agree probably could have just let this one slide though. Unless tomorrow you kinda redo it(In the first panel, not the punchline, since that'd be kinda cheating people out a comic). 'I saw it coming anyway back at the wedding', then repeat Claire and Marten's line. Wouldn't mind the conversation continuing from there. 'I figured you knew the moment you saw her in that gorgeous dress'.

Claire meanwhile, knew once she saw him in his boxers  :wink:

Quantum Glass

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #102 on: 27 Apr 2015, 22:30 »

In her mind, I'm sure she didn't just call it, she made it happen

Jemf Jecks @jephjacques  ·  49s 49 seconds ago
Haha I totally forgot Marten's mom ran into them while they were holding hands! TIME FOR A REWRITE

Speaking of calling it. Called it!

Speaking of rewrites, I could have sworn that comic you linked to originally had Veronica talking about Marten and Claire producing cute children (Hence the title, "Yougenics.")

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #103 on: 27 Apr 2015, 22:37 »

It did, but he had a good reason for changing that one.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #104 on: 27 Apr 2015, 22:39 »

I thought changing that one was unnecessary, but as neither the author or one of the potential people who might be offended that opinion should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #105 on: 27 Apr 2015, 22:46 »

I thought changing that one was unnecessary, but as neither the author or one of the potential people who might be offended that opinion should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

You can just join my headcanon, those babies are cute and they have little shirts that say 'my grandmother spanks people.'
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

StellaVator

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #106 on: 27 Apr 2015, 23:03 »

I like the re-write much better. What is it about Claire's old line that people like so much? It's not particularly clever or humorous, just the same "cutesy" sitcom-y stuff that's been surrounding them.

The re-write is better because Marten's "Oh shit I forgot" is actually FUNNY because Jeph really did forget. And dedicated readers will know that going forward.

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator
« Reply #107 on: 27 Apr 2015, 23:13 »

A dialog coud work both in:

Veronica: Hardly a surprise! I saw you two holding hands!
Marten: (don't change the new quote)
Claire: Well, that was an anjoyable surprise to me!

Oh, well, sometimes, you have those speeches perfect in your head and then reality ensues...
Signature OF DOOM!

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #108 on: 27 Apr 2015, 23:39 »

FWIW, the original dialogue was still valid, even factoring in continuity. Give Veronica credit; she's observant enough that she could see as far back as the wedding Claire's crush and Marten's interest. Interestingly, whilst both versions of panel 4 verge on meta comments/jokes, the original suggests that Jeph was thinking about Claireten back when doing the wedding arc.

I do like Claire's body language in panel 2 - she is a little nervous and hopeful for Veronica's approval. Panel 4, oddly is a twin of panel 4 of strip 2940: comfortable intra-couple teasing. Finally, the placement of both of them's hands indicates that they are still deep in 'Honeymoon Mode'. :wink:

So, will Veronica want to help Faye? There is some indication that she may struggle with alcohol abuse herself, so she might be the strong older female mentor that she needs.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #109 on: 28 Apr 2015, 00:28 »

booo, she cut her hair! Only Claire and Penelope remain in the long hair club. :(

If Claire's hair gets cut I'm quitting reading the comic. Fair warning.

No, I won't really. But I want Jeph to believe that a whole lot of people will.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #110 on: 28 Apr 2015, 01:54 »

Over on the Subreddit, one poster suggested that Marten is acting a bit self-centred in this strip and I do see where that's coming from. However, you have to see things from Marten's perspective. He must have spent days worrying about Faye and beating himself up for not realising just how overwhelmingly breaking up with Angus had hurt her. I think that he really doesn't want to spend too much time looking back on those dark hours listening to the ECG ticking off Faye's heartbeats; thinking about those minutes waiting for the EMTs to arrive and wondering what he'd do if Faye were to stop breathing before they arrived. No, he really doesn't want to think about those days and the times coming after. On the whole, he'd prefer to talk about the light and how wonderful being with Claire makes him feel.

Additionally, I do think that Marten is in a bit of denial about Faye. "You're alright now, right?" A part of him seriously doesn't want to confront just how close Faye came or the total paradigm shift she's going to have to execute for the sake of her health and sanity. I'm wondering what it will take to cure him of that?

I agree that Marten came across as unnecessarily callous here and I wouldn't have blamed Veronica if she'd reprimanded him for it. In some ways, I think that she did by waving off his 'in other news' as no news. What I'm saying is that Marten's feelings and the way he responded to them are understandable. What he did here is far from praiseworthy but it is completely and understandably human.

[edit]
Better wording in last paragraph
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2015, 02:02 by BenRG »
~~~~

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #111 on: 28 Apr 2015, 01:56 »

"Poor Faye"

I've come to the conclusion that I like Veronica. Even though she's about as different from me as possible. I'm more like Clairemom.

And of course to her, holding hands is far more intimate than merely bonking.

Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #112 on: 28 Apr 2015, 02:20 »

And of course to her, holding hands is far more intimate than merely bonking.

???

I dont get it.

Why would she think holding hands is more intimate than sex ?
Carpe Diem

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #113 on: 28 Apr 2015, 02:35 »

Because it implies a much deeper spiritual/ emotional intimacy than sex. It is easier to imagine people having casual sex than it is to imagine people holding hands and not having some sort of deeper connection.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

ASB84

« Reply #114 on: 28 Apr 2015, 05:29 »

I like the re-write much better. What is it about Claire's old line that people like so much? It's not particularly clever or humorous, just the same "cutesy" sitcom-y stuff that's been surrounding them.

The re-write is better because Marten's "Oh shit I forgot" is actually FUNNY because Jeph really did forget. And dedicated readers will know that going forward.

Me too. The meta aspect of Marten's re-written dialogue brought a smile to my face. It's a fun wink to us, the audience.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #115 on: 28 Apr 2015, 05:47 »

Because it implies a much deeper spiritual/ emotional intimacy than sex. It is easier to imagine people having casual sex than it is to imagine people holding hands and not having some sort of deeper connection.
:?

Okay, I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

I would have rated having sex with somebody WAY more intimate than holding hands. *shrugs*
Carpe Diem

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #116 on: 28 Apr 2015, 05:52 »

I was not wrong about Veronica's interest in Faye.  Very curious if she goes to her... like she did when she sought out Dora.  Veronica may not be playing Faye's mom, but she does care about her son and about the people who keep her son sane. 
Please, sir, may I have some more?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #117 on: 28 Apr 2015, 05:56 »

Every time I read today's strip, I love Claire's body language in panel 4 all the more. She's leaning into Marten obviously with her right hand on his hip/butt and has her other hand on his chest as if she's holding him back; it all shows she's completely comfortable with him. Her face is saying: "I have to apologise for my boyfriend; he's an absent-minded goof but I kind of prefer it that way."

FWIW, I think that Marten was walking on clouds and, possibly mentally reciting the mantra "Don't screw up! Don't screw up!" during the first date. I doubt he remembers any interaction during that other than with Claire.

Ah! Young love! [/bittersingleton]
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2015, 06:11 by BenRG »
~~~~

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #118 on: 28 Apr 2015, 06:32 »

Her new hair's ok, I guess. Her old hair was ok, I guess.

It's hair, I guess. And if she had no hair, that would be ok, too, I guess.

And that's OK.

SHOTANDAGOAL!

DSL scoring his Umpteenth goal of the season, assisted by Cesium133 and Method of MADNESS!

Time of goal 12:37.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #119 on: 28 Apr 2015, 06:45 »

I would have rated having sex with somebody WAY more intimate than holding hands. *shrugs*

When sex is (in some form) your profession, it changes your perception of intimacy.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #120 on: 28 Apr 2015, 07:13 »

You can just join my headcanon, those babies are cute and they have little shirts that say 'my grandmother spanks people.'

With fine print underneath that says "(except me)"
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #121 on: 28 Apr 2015, 07:59 »

Well, I can't predict what will happen in this weeks' strips but I pretty much can predict what won't happen:  unicorn wars, all the characters show up bald and hanners becomes queen of the universe.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #122 on: 28 Apr 2015, 08:01 »

You don't hold hands with a one night stand.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #123 on: 28 Apr 2015, 11:49 »

Well, I can't predict what will happen in this weeks' strips but I pretty much can predict what won't happen:  unicorn wars, all the characters show up bald and hanners becomes queen of the universe.
Well of course not. You can't suddenly become what you already are….
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

stank sinatra

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #124 on: 28 Apr 2015, 14:34 »

lol, she shure is violently assaulting her adult son

Coming back to this, as gross as it is for an adult woman to violently assault her adult offspring, the fact that she's a professional dominatrix adds in all kinds of disgusting additional layers of both incestuousness and professional misconduct.

Like, when you get paid to get off on hurting people, you really especially shouldn't be dealing with situations by inflicting pain on your children without their consent.

Global Moderator Comment You have already been warned that this line of conversation is inappropriate and unacceptable. Continuation of this will result in punative action and possibly Ultimate Sanction. Please desist from any further continuation of this subject.I mean, unless the entire reason you became a dominatrix is because you're an awful person with a violently abusive personality, I guess.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2015, 17:02 by Kugai »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #125 on: 28 Apr 2015, 15:11 »

Yeahhhh that line of discussion stops now please.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #126 on: 28 Apr 2015, 15:13 »

In any case, I can't see why you think her profession factors into this at all.  You may object to her "violently assaulting" her son (if that's how you characterise tweaking his ear in a familiar manner), but that would be the same judgement whatever her job might be.

The rest of your speculation has nothing to do with anything that has ever been shown in this comic, so it is inappropriate to bring it up.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #127 on: 28 Apr 2015, 16:56 »

We should start a petition to convince Jeph to change it back.

Count me for signing that one. The original dialogue was deft and implied some gentle snark. The new script is too literal, and lands with a thud. Since Veronica could have been referring to seeing it coming as far back as the wedding, and since there was no explicit acknowledgment of relationship status in the Mom-selfies strip, it wasn't even a continuity error. CHANGE IT BACK.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #128 on: 28 Apr 2015, 17:32 »

So say we all.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #129 on: 28 Apr 2015, 18:30 »

Eh, both exist and we can decide which one we think of as canon.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #130 on: 28 Apr 2015, 19:13 »

COMIC

I assume Veronica was painted like one of their French girls indeed. I feel as if the model whale penis can be a hindrance to coffee table usage tho.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

DrBear

• Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book
« Reply #131 on: 28 Apr 2015, 19:14 »

And Wednesday's strip arrives, with nudity and animal genitalia.
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #132 on: 28 Apr 2015, 19:15 »

My uh... gee.

That happened.

The words 'whale penis' are going to be stuck in my head for weeks.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #133 on: 28 Apr 2015, 19:22 »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #134 on: 28 Apr 2015, 19:28 »

Other than that, it's a pretty nice place.

Must be a newer building with those vertical windows.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #135 on: 28 Apr 2015, 19:33 »

Is it just me, or is the perspective in panel 3 off?

Claire's going to be leaning quite far forward to touch the model whale penis based on the room's scale in panel 1, yet her abdomen is shown as significantly wider than her thorax - more so than when her full figure is normally drawn, even, when it should be the opposite, as she's leaning into the camera.

Also, having a nude portrait of oneself in one's living room is just strange, Veronica.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #136 on: 28 Apr 2015, 19:40 »

COMIC

I assume Veronica was painted like one of their French girls indeed. I feel as if the model whale penis can be a hindrance to coffee table usage tho.

I suppose that all depends on how you use your coffee table.

Claire's going to be leaning quite far forward to touch the model whale penis based on the room's scale in panel 1, yet her abdomen is shown as significantly wider than her thorax - more so than when her full figure is normally drawn, even, when it should be the opposite, as she's leaning into the camera.

The perspective would be correct-ish if she were sitting straight up and reaching an arm out. But she'd have to lean forward unless they moved the coffee table back before sitting down.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #137 on: 28 Apr 2015, 19:43 »

Also, having a nude portrait of oneself in one's living room is just strange, Veronica.

You're supposed to hang it over your bed, like Steve does.

...Has Veronica ever met Steve?  Hmm...
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #138 on: 28 Apr 2015, 19:46 »

The whale penis is smaller than I expected.   :claireface:

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #139 on: 28 Apr 2015, 19:49 »

Marten: "It's only a little smaller than mine."
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

TheEvilDog

« Reply #140 on: 28 Apr 2015, 19:50 »

Hmmm, that apartment certainly looks a little bare.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #141 on: 28 Apr 2015, 19:54 »

Obviously not full size. Real ones can be up to 8', apparently.

It must be counterweighted so as not to fall over.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #142 on: 28 Apr 2015, 19:58 »

Hey now. Maybe the whale was just cold.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #143 on: 28 Apr 2015, 20:03 »

Already thinking about what to say when this makes the captions thread.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #144 on: 28 Apr 2015, 20:04 »

The fun part will be when Jim brings Sam over for dinner with the new squeeze. I'm sure the furnishings will be a big hit.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #145 on: 28 Apr 2015, 20:14 »

What? You can't keep it in the dining room!

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #146 on: 28 Apr 2015, 20:15 »

The perspective would be correct-ish if she were sitting straight up and reaching an arm out. But she'd have to lean forward unless they moved the coffee table back before sitting down.

She's have to be leaning waaaay forward. It also seems to be too far to the right in relationship to the end of the couch, if the coffee table is centered in front of the sofa as people usually do.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #147 on: 28 Apr 2015, 20:32 »

I fear the coat rack. Fear it.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #148 on: 28 Apr 2015, 20:52 »

It's a actual rack. You just throw your coats on it and try and ignore the customer strapped to it.

Undrneath

« Reply #149 on: 28 Apr 2015, 21:21 »

My uh... gee.

That happened.

The words 'whale penis' are going to be stuck in my head for weeks.

It's a literal dork
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up