Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 25 May 2020, 11:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dune: Book, Movie, Miniseries.  (Read 6284 times)

sitnspin

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: Dune: Book, Movie, Miniseries.
« Reply #50 on: 24 Apr 2020, 09:49 »

Teenagers are difficult to work with on a movie set. There are all kinds of rules and laws when it comes to working with minors that make shooting a film with them as a main character troublesome. It is also difficult to find teenage actors with the amount of experience casting directors are usually looking for. There is also the added problem, in case you are doing a franchise or series, of how fast they age.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• comeback tour!
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #51 on: 24 Apr 2020, 19:00 »

Taika Waititi seems to have a knack for successfully casting young actors into his excellent films.

They could have shot both films now if they were concerned about aging actors.

On the other hand, I doubt that Timothée Chalamet gets into many pubs or bars without being challenged to show ID. So I don't think his casting is totally inappropriate.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Akima

• Preventing third impact
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #52 on: 05 May 2020, 18:17 »

Teenagers are difficult to work with on a movie set.
The Harry Potter movies demonstrate that these problems are manageable.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

hedgie

• Older than Moses
  • Can't be buggered at all
« Reply #53 on: 05 May 2020, 18:36 »

And there are some directors who are quite able to work well with young people, and get amazing performances.  Look at the Swedish films "We Are The Best", and "Fucking Åmal", for example.
"Madness is rare in individuals - but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule." -- Nietzsche

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons

sitnspin

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #54 on: 05 May 2020, 20:42 »

The problems are obviously not insurmountable, but given the option it is unsurprising that most productions would rather avoid them altogether when possible.
@syleegrrl

Case

« Reply #55 on: 06 May 2020, 03:11 »

The books was notorious for leaving out details on how people were dressed and what things looked like (maybe an offhanded comment on Paul having black hair like his fathers), but I do remember they said that house Atreides uniforms/clothes were black and their symbol was a red hawk. Looks like they got the black down. Plus some battle armor is a cool idea considering melee combat is a thing. I am also really digging these stillsuits.

I think I recall something about the Atreides being descended from Alexander the Great, and having 'olive skin'? Not sure that's in F. Herbert's books, though, could be in the sequels that his son wrote with KJA (Yes, I read some of them - sometimes I suffer insomnia and will read anything that happens to stray onto my Kindle. And yes, they're bad ...).

As to looks: The Dune Universe is set 10.000 years into our future. There's genetic studies of La Brana 1, a hunter-gatherer who lived in Spain 7000 years ago - blue-eyed, closest genetic relation apparently modern-day Scandinavians and ... dark-skinned - "African variants for the pigmentation genes" (also lactose-intolerant).

Or meet 'Cheddar Man', the 'first modern Briton':

Who knows what people in 10.000 years will look like?
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up