Clothes Buying and Eatin'
Town Square Meeting
Gavia becomes the kids pet Demon
The Nightwalker
Transport by Struthic Ridiculensis
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
Jeph surprises us - again.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alice Grove MCDT - May 2015  (Read 89695 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: Alice Grove MCDT - May 2015
« Reply #250 on: 31 May 2015, 10:55 »

Well yeah, but my question is this. Is being lawful evil somehow "better" than being chaotic evil?

Not better, not worse but rather different methodologies and world-views. A Lawful will create and follow elaborate structures to achieve their ends. A Chaotic will just whoop it up and smash everything that gets in his or her way.

Also wait, how is Batman not good?

It depends on your preferred version of Batman. My version of him in my head is someone who wants to prevent evil from ever winning and is quite able to use ethically dubious means to do so. He'd never hurt the innocent but he'd use means that would not meet the approval of a paladin to achieve the outcomes he wants.

"Win if you can, lose if you must; always cheat."

Or...

"Seven billion lives hanging in the balance? I'd lie, cheat, steal and use every underhand and unethical means necessary. The losers can fight over the 'good conduct' medal."
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #251 on: 31 May 2015, 12:12 »

Would you argue that beyond being an unsympathetic character she's a badly portrayed one?
It really depends on what Jeph is trying to portray. My issue is that I don't know what he's trying to do, nine months in. If he was clearly trying to create an ambiguous character it'd be one thing, but the intent isn't very clear. If I'm supposed to like her I can't because she's a jerk, if I'm supposed to empathize with her I can't because we don't know anything about her, if I'm supposed to dislike her then she should have started some kind of character growth by now, and if I'm supposed to be intrigued by her then we should be getting information more clearly or quickly 'cause at the current pace I really don't care.

I can't say she's *badly* characterized because she's barely been characterized at all.
Don't mind me.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #252 on: 31 May 2015, 16:02 »

It depends on your preferred version of Batman. My version of him in my head is someone who wants to prevent evil from ever winning and is quite able to use ethically dubious means to do so. He'd never hurt the innocent but he'd use means that would not meet the approval of a paladin to achieve the outcomes he wants.

"Win if you can, lose if you must; always cheat."

Or...

"Seven billion lives hanging in the balance? I'd lie, cheat, steal and use every underhand and unethical means necessary. The losers can fight over the 'good conduct' medal."
Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding it, but that description sounds far more chaotic good than lawful neutral.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #253 on: 31 May 2015, 18:07 »

I was about to say that Method. Although I believe that the first one is definitely Chaotic Neutral (if taken at face value) while the second one is Chaotic Good.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #254 on: 01 Jun 2015, 13:15 »

Yeah, I wouldn't say Batman is always lawful in the strictest sense. He breaks a lot of society's laws in his pursuit of criminals: he taps phones and hacks computers without a court order, he breaks into buildings without a search warrant to find evidence, and so on. You have to wonder how a lot of the criminals he arrests ever get convicted.

But he never plants false evidence, or lies on the stand to falsely convict anyone. Basically, he only breaks the laws that get in the way of bringing criminals to justice, and all the people he goes after are ones who've broken what he considers the important laws -- the laws against hurting innocent people. So you can argue that he obeys a different set of laws, but he's still lawful under those laws. I certainly wouldn't call him chaotic -- everything he does is pretty highly structured.

And since everything he does is for the purpose of fighting evil, I suppose you could even argue that he's Lawful Good, but not in the sense of the typical paladin who won't break any laws. That may be a limitation of the people who play those paladins, or the DMs who enforce their interpretation of Lawful Good behavior, however. Then again, you could also argue that a man who decides which laws he'll follow and which laws he won't is more Neutral than Lawful. I could see Batman as Neutral Good.

I dunno. I haven't played D&D in so long, I have no real idea how the categories are "supposed" to work these days...

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #255 on: 01 Jun 2015, 16:03 »

My issue is that I don't know what he's trying to do, nine months in. If he was clearly trying to create an ambiguous character it'd be one thing, but the intent isn't very clear. If I'm supposed to like her I can't because she's a jerk, if I'm supposed to empathize with her I can't because we don't know anything about her, if I'm supposed to dislike her then she should have started some kind of character growth by now, and if I'm supposed to be intrigued by her then we should be getting information more clearly or quickly 'cause at the current pace I really don't care.

I can't say she's *badly* characterized because she's barely been characterized at all.

9 months IRL (not that long really)
66 comics (not that many)
a few months in-comic (a fleeting instance to Alice, now that we know her longevity and timescale)
give Jeph a chance to tell the story his way (or wait until he's done and you can buy the book and read it all at once)

mikmaxs

« Reply #256 on: 01 Jun 2015, 21:10 »

9 months IRL (not that long really)
66 comics (not that many)
a few months in-comic (a fleeting instance to Alice, now that we know her longevity and timescale)
give Jeph a chance to tell the story his way (or wait until he's done and you can buy the book and read it all at once)

You write a story with your limitations in mind. If you're only going to give two comics a week, that's fine, but you have to make sure you're economizing heavily to pull that off. Nine months may not be a vast amount of time and 66 comics isn't an immense book's worth of pages, but it's still a huge amount of time and a plentiful number of comics for basic things like setting up characters and conflict.

I've mentioned this before, too, but the story doesn't really read well as a comic book either. (Next to contemporaries of the genre.) If you read it like that, the setup-setup-punchline format present undercuts any type of flowing storytelling and the implied space between almost every comic doesn't work as well if things are arranged back-to-back. Arguing that it's supposed to be read all at once doesn't help.
Don't mind me.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #257 on: 01 Jun 2015, 21:33 »

Who cares how it's "supposed" to be read? Read it however you want.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #258 on: 02 Jun 2015, 00:00 »

And if it doesn't work for you, don't read it at all.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #259 on: 02 Jun 2015, 09:18 »

You write a story with your limitations in mind.[...]

I don't mean to put words in his mouth, but it appears that Jeph is not interested in constraining himself to whatever limitations you seem to have in mind for him.

At the same time, such investment in the storyline and being impatient to see what's in store is itself a pretty high compliment.

mikmaxs

« Reply #260 on: 04 Jun 2015, 20:49 »

You write a story with your limitations in mind.[...]

I don't mean to put words in his mouth, but it appears that Jeph is not interested in constraining himself to whatever limitations you seem to have in mind for him.

At the same time, such investment in the storyline and being impatient to see what's in store is itself a pretty high compliment.
The limitations I'm referring to are his choice of format as a webcomic with a bi-weekly update schedule. I'm not making up any limitations, I'm just pointing out the obvious ones that already exists: Jeph chose to constrain himself to these limitations when he started writing Alice Grove. You could argue that he's just dealing with the limitations in a different way than I'd prefer, but from my perspective he's simply not dealing with a lot of the problems at all. (Namely, the way that the update schedule and limited scope harms the pacing.)

And yeah, I still think Jeph's work is very good. If nothing else, the art is pretty nice and as long as I'm checking up on QC, the Alice Grove button is right there for the clicking. I do think it's worth reading, or else I wouldn't bother talking about the issues. I'd just stop reading.
Don't mind me.

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #261 on: 04 Jun 2015, 22:45 »

New comic! And the Praeses are... trees? Which store the memories of the Spaceborne in their... sap?
I'm not sure how much of that was a metaphor.
Edit: Damn, wrong thread.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #262 on: 04 Jun 2015, 22:53 »