• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Eye of the Warbot! Who is Bubbles?

A champion waiting a beleiver to make her want to compete and win
A noble pacifist trying to help those who are hurt, even by their own will
A sufferer of robotic PTSD who has opted out of society, preferring to do what good she can in the shadows
A hypocrite who claims high standards but takes money from Corpse Witch because it's there
A lost soul who needs a friend and a purpose
An undercover FBI robot looking to expose and sink Corpse Witch's operation
Other (explain in comment)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3021 to 3025 (10 to 14 August 2015)  (Read 44615 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: WCDT Strips 3021 to 3025 (10 to 14 August 2015)
« Reply #100 on: 11 Aug 2015, 20:18 »

Unreasonably quick? It took Hanners and Tai.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #101 on: 11 Aug 2015, 20:19 »

It might be a sign that she has developed a strong trust for both her friend, and girlfriend.  In which case, that's an indication of growth.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

electromgneticDstroyosaur

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #102 on: 11 Aug 2015, 20:24 »

Was it here or another comic that brought up relationship weight?

Just remembered that was Between Two Failures.
Just remember the 3 V's:  volume, vehemence, and venom.

electromgneticDstroyosaur

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #103 on: 11 Aug 2015, 20:26 »

Unreasonably quick? It took Hanners and Tai.

Compared to her usual reaction to the idea that she may *gasp* be wrong about something, yes.  Two friends telling her the same thing is pretty quick.
Just remember the 3 V's:  volume, vehemence, and venom.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #104 on: 11 Aug 2015, 20:29 »

I'm just wondering whether that autoreplace was because Sven or because Amherst.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #105 on: 11 Aug 2015, 20:55 »

I think it's all up towards evolution of art style, except her chest anyway, she did use to bind them down. But reason I think this is as if you compare her face now to a long time ago, and she is just a hundred times more cute as a button now. lol. Not that she looked bad before, she didn't. Just saying.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #106 on: 11 Aug 2015, 21:37 »

Honestly, I think the opposite - she's cuter to me as a petite lil' thing.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #107 on: 11 Aug 2015, 23:08 »

Firstly, it's a bit of a downer having to confront your own anxieties and neuroses after a declaration of love. Secondly, it's good that Dora is willing to admit that she might be in the wrong or at least be taking things too far. It's good to question yourself sometimes, though. I also think that having Tai holding her hand will make things easier.

It will be genuinely funny if Sven tries his mojo on Tai; I don't think she has a hetro neuron in her brain! :laugh:

If my sister sent me a text message saying, "hey asshole, we should talk." I would not be surprised.

I suspect that Sven would question if the message was even really from Dora if it didn't refer to him as 'asshole'.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

TheCollector

« Reply #108 on: 12 Aug 2015, 00:10 »

Y'know, something about me that I'm sure is true of other people, but sometimes I can go ages not caring for certain characters all that much, in this case Dora and Tai, not them as a couple, them as separate characters, though I guess as a couple counts too. It's not that I didn't like them, I did well enough, but y'know.
Anyway though, at times something happens that complete flips my views, and it's extremely rare for it to flip back, like very extremely rare, lol.
So anyway, not I am so in love with Dora and Tai, especially them as a couple, they are so freaking cute together.
And also, I gotta say, I love that their declarations take turns. Dora called Tai her girlfriend to her surprise, and now Tai says she loves Dora to her surprise. lol. :3

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #109 on: 12 Aug 2015, 00:12 »

I disapprove of this going back to Sven because he's sorry.  Sometimes you just have to cut toxic assholes out of your life, even if they are family.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #110 on: 12 Aug 2015, 00:15 »

I find it more natural to call my brother "asshole" than "bro".  My brother and I get along really well.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #111 on: 12 Aug 2015, 01:07 »

I think Tai has put on a bit of weight.  She looks a bit heavier here than in the past.

Yes, compare http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1915

I think in general all the characters baring Hanners have gained weight since then, probably an artistic style shift.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

QuestionableIntentions

« Reply #112 on: 12 Aug 2015, 01:40 »

Yelling bird gone, Marten happy, Dora acting reasonable...WHAT'S GOING ON!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #113 on: 12 Aug 2015, 01:58 »

Although the universes of QC and AG are completely independent, in fact karma travels between them via Jeph's brain and Ardent's death will be the price of Marten's happiness.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #114 on: 12 Aug 2015, 03:38 »

He said the the disappearance of YB was the end of an era. Maybe we didn't look deep enough into what that meant
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #115 on: 12 Aug 2015, 03:43 »

Times change; people move on and mature; stories progress and move towards their end.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #116 on: 12 Aug 2015, 05:46 »

stories progress and move towards their end.

Stoppit. Don't you dare suggest.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #117 on: 12 Aug 2015, 06:03 »

QC is one strip closer to its end than it was at this time yesterday. This is true whether Jeph continues it for ten more strips or ten thousand.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #118 on: 12 Aug 2015, 06:13 »

I disapprove of this going back to Sven because he's sorry.  Sometimes you just have to cut toxic assholes out of your life, even if they are family.

I agree with sometimes you need to cut out toxic people in your life. I had to do it myself, with my own father. But I don't think Sven is a toxic asshole. He's conceited, lazy and has to do some serious evaluation of his life to do and how real life works when everything you want doesn't just fall in your lap. But he's not a bad or evil person. Aside from typical sibling rivalry he's been there when Dora's needed him. He's done thing that make people want to take a clue-by-four upside his head. But never out of spite or malice. It's Dora's insecurities and control freak nature that make her brand him as a 'toxic asshole'. The two getting together and talking hopefully will be good for both. Dora can face her issues without blaming other people maybe. And Sven can learn what 'boundaries' mean and that not everything he wants comes to him because he's Sven.

dexeron

• My Twitter
« Reply #119 on: 12 Aug 2015, 06:31 »

See, I agree with this sentiment, at least in theory.  I've luckily never had to do such a thing with family, but there are some friends I finally had to cut ties with when I realized just how toxic they were.

My only quibble is that I don't see how Sven has been especially toxic.  Has he been a jerk at times?  Sure, but no more so than some other folks have been in the strip (and less than some.)  He's also, like other characters, made efforts to change those things about him that are toxic, with varying degrees of success.

I'm not going to say that he's even a "good" guy.  I mean, "cheating" on Faye (even though they weren't exclusive) was a super-douchey move.   But that's not the straw that breaks the camel's back.  It's him going up to Faye and confessing his "love." Even though he acted completely cluelessly there, it's never quite clear that he even knew she was in a relationship at that moment, and some of what he says during that conversation is evidence that he's at least trying to improve himself, even though he's just frankly terrible at it and is fumbling awfully (the rest of it is, yes, him being a clueless dipshit.)

But this conversation is the horrible sin that causes Dora to "realize" that he's a toxic person?  When any number of other characters have fumbled their way through their development, often putting their foots in their mouths (or inadvertently stepping on others with said feet) yet treated with patience and acceptance?

I think Dora's stance here is less about Sven being any more toxic than anyone else, and more about her.  I've never been one of the readers to think of Dora as being a particularly bad person, but in this case I think she's just too close to the situation, and this has more to do with her own unresolved issues with her brother than his being especially "toxic."

So, tl;dr: yeah, I'm welcoming this development.  If anything else, it will give Dora an opportunity to deal with an unresolved issue.  Worst case scenario, maybe we all learn that Sven really is as toxic as Dora feels, and her stance is justified.  Best case: they both grow as people and learn some things about dealing with their issues that leaves them in a healthier place.

(But again, yes, I do agree that sometimes one has no choice but to just cut ties for one's own health.  No one should be forced to stick around someone toxic just because they are "family.")

Deadcoder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #120 on: 12 Aug 2015, 06:43 »

I think this week of strips has shown a lot of character development.

Look at Tai. She used to be something of a gag character. She was hot for Dora for comedy, used shipping containers of drugs and sex for comedy, and was a fun boss for comedy. Here, she's shown that she's the kind of person who will put effort into Dora's safety and happiness.

Dora was the fun boss who had hidden insecurities "which weren't hidden well", with relationship issues. Here, she's starting to address those issues and confront those insecurities.

Thank you Jeph. Thank you for good character development.

Penquin47

« Reply #121 on: 12 Aug 2015, 07:53 »

I think Dora's stance here is less about Sven being any more toxic than anyone else, and more about her.  I've never been one of the readers to think of Dora as being a particularly bad person, but in this case I think she's just too close to the situation, and this has more to do with her own unresolved issues with her brother than his being especially "toxic."

Agreed.  Sven is not a toxic person, no more or less than other people.  And his relationship with Dora in particular, while we've heard things about their past, what we've seen on screen has not been toxic.  We've seen Dora order Sven to stay away from her friends, we've seen Sven more or less do it, and he gave her a place to go after she broke up with Marten and found herself needing one on short notice.  Even their past stuff, everything we've heard has been more "Sven is a clueless asshole who gets things because he's charming and talented" and "Sven doesn't think about how his actions might affect Dora" (sleeping with her friends).

If there's anything toxic about their relationship, it's on Dora's end: the jealousy she has toward Sven for things coming easily for him.  Sven's cluelessness and self-obsession don't help matters any, but the toxicity isn't there.

I'm hoping this is leading Dora to that conclusion, especially given which of those things is more likely to be in her power to change.  Even if she just comes to the conclusion that the only way she has to deal with her rivalry issues is to keep Sven cut off, that's way better than taking the easy way and blaming it all on him, in terms of her growth and ability to form healthy relationships elsewhere.

Socky

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #122 on: 12 Aug 2015, 07:59 »

This was really quick. Last time we heard from Dora about this was when she was going to cut Sven out of her life. We never saw that talk, never saw any real fallout, not even any strips with the therapist. The next time it was really brought up (as far as I can remember) was when Hanners bumped in to Sven. I just think a lot more could of been done with it, really shown Dora dealing with the consequences and giving her something to do, but instead we switched to Marten/Claire and Faye/Robots just to have it brought up at a random point.

Sorry, I should probably judge based on what's happening in the story instead of what I think the story could have been.

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #123 on: 12 Aug 2015, 08:42 »

Well, Dora hasn't been the focus of the plot in a long while. She probably just dealt with it by ignoring Sven's existence altogether. Not much to show there.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #124 on: 12 Aug 2015, 12:08 »

Times change; people move on and mature; stories progress and move towards their end.
And after many a summer dies the swan.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #125 on: 12 Aug 2015, 15:38 »

Dealing with Sven's gonna be the easy part

The hard one is the face-to-face she's gonna have to have with Faye
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #126 on: 12 Aug 2015, 15:51 »

And after many a summer dies the swan.
And in any season, people will comment on female characters' weight. :wink:  More seriously, I was a bit disappointed to see this ad appearing alongside QC, one of the few sites where I don't block advertising. I know Jeph does not choose his advertisers, but...

More excellent art in 3023. The positioning of Dora and Tai in each other's space is so nicely done. And I kind of want a SkullPhone 6 now.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #127 on: 12 Aug 2015, 16:04 »

I'm loving the developments.

However, Dora's hands in the first panel really bring to mind the Photoshop possibilities.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #128 on: 12 Aug 2015, 18:30 »

Dealing with Sven's gonna be the easy part

The hard one is the face-to-face she's gonna have to have with Faye

Ain't that the truth.

I'm weirdly looking forward to that, even though I know it's gonna be hell on both parties, possibly leading to Faye falling off the wagon. I hope it doesn't, but stress-related relapse isn't even a little unheard of in newly-sober alcoholics.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

TheCollector

« Reply #129 on: 12 Aug 2015, 18:58 »

Y'know, something I really wanna see now, now that Dora and Sven have made up is him meeting Tai. Does he know they're together? I can't recall if they were so when she cut him out.

Also, I've always wondered how to pronounce Sven's name, but couldn't figure it out, but now that I have a reference point I have to ask, is it pronounced like the reindeer in Frozen?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #130 on: 12 Aug 2015, 19:01 »

Sssss kind of like a snake, and then "ven".

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #131 on: 12 Aug 2015, 19:02 »

ssssssssssssssssss-ven

One syllable.

And I haven't seen Frozen so I wouldn't know.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You know what to do.  8-)

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #132 on: 12 Aug 2015, 19:11 »

Y'know, something I really wanna see now, now that Dora and Sven have made up is him meeting Tai. Does he know they're together? I can't recall if they were so when she cut him out.

Also, I've always wondered how to pronounce Sven's name, but couldn't figure it out, but now that I have a reference point I have to ask, is it pronounced like the reindeer in Frozen?

Dude, they were dating AGES before, but whether he knew is less certain. As to the pronunciation of Sven, I pronounced it like the reindeer from Frozen approximately three yeads before Frozen existed. How the hell else would it be pronounced.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #133 on: 12 Aug 2015, 19:12 »

The double constanent throws a lot of people not exposed to Scandanavian pronunciation, or similar derivatives.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #134 on: 12 Aug 2015, 19:15 »

You know what to do.  8-)
Let it go? :parrot:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #135 on: 12 Aug 2015, 19:57 »

Dude, I fucking love that movie, but can we please not get into the singing?
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Truec

• Furry furrier
« Reply #136 on: 12 Aug 2015, 20:03 »

Little confused as to why this conversation starts with Sven apologizing to Dora.  He owes an apology to Faye for his shitty timing and attitude, but not to Dora.

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #137 on: 12 Aug 2015, 20:05 »

That's douche hair, that is.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

TheCollector

« Reply #138 on: 12 Aug 2015, 20:09 »

But I don't wanna hold it back anymore. :p

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #139 on: 12 Aug 2015, 20:11 »

I know I asked for haircut recommendations in the miscellaneous musings thread but please nobody suggest that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #140 on: 12 Aug 2015, 20:14 »

But I don't wanna hold it back anymore. :p
So that's what that smell was.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #141 on: 12 Aug 2015, 20:17 »

I was expecting a delay.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #142 on: 12 Aug 2015, 20:56 »

Sincerity, man. Once you can fake that, you've got it made.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #143 on: 12 Aug 2015, 20:59 »

QC is one strip closer to its end than it was at this time yesterday. This is true whether Jeph continues it for ten more strips or ten thousand.

Unless it's one giant mobius strip.

:claireface:

...I'm sorry.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #144 on: 12 Aug 2015, 21:09 »

Unless it's one giant mobius strip.

:claireface:

...I'm sorry.

One of these days, Jeph will post a comic about Marten complaining about his job and Pintsize offering porn to cheer him up. It will be then we'll know we have circled around.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #145 on: 12 Aug 2015, 21:33 »

No. Pintsize has to come home and complain to Marten about his job.

Then we know we're half way around.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #146 on: 12 Aug 2015, 21:36 »

A Mobius strip? What a twist!
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #147 on: 12 Aug 2015, 21:40 »

A Mobius strip? What a twist!

Exactly.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #148 on: 12 Aug 2015, 21:49 »

Little confused as to why this conversation starts with Sven apologizing to Dora.  He owes an apology to Faye for his shitty timing and attitude, but not to Dora.

He's apologising for a lifetime of behavior, the vast majority of which we are not privy to.

In any case, he knows full well that Does and Faye are very close friends, so you can't do shitty things to Faye and pretend that Dora ought to be unaffected.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Penquin47

« Reply #149 on: 12 Aug 2015, 22:04 »

Does Sven have a new line of Sincerity Shirts? This looks almost the same as the one he was wearing while talking to Hannelore recently. (Or...is this still the same day??)

Oh, also I'm glad these two are talking and growing as human beings and stuff  :-P

Pretty sure it's the next day.  Sven has different pants on (I think, the ones from the day before look blue in the tiny bit we can see them), and Dora was wearing a tank top at the coffee shop but then a T-shirt when talking with Tai.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up