THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 22:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Cover Versions  (Read 71299 times)

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #50 on: 07 Jan 2005, 10:29 »

I intensely loved the remake Orbital did of the theme song to Doctor Who?

I also really liked Orbital's cover of their OWN SONG, "Style" done using bagpipes instead of synths ;)
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #51 on: 07 Jan 2005, 12:51 »

Quote from: Husker B.
Devo's Cover of NIN "Head Like a Hole" from the soundtrack to Supercop rocks.

I have a version of the BeeGee's "Stayin' Alive" By Dweezil Zappa and Ozzy Osbourne that I think is cool as hell.

Herbie Hancock did an instrumental Jazz Cover of Nirvana's "All Apologies" that is pretty freakin' awesome.

but I think my favorite cover song might be Dynamite Hack's brilliant blend of two songs...they took the music from the Beatles' "Blackbird" and set the lyrics to NWA's "Boys in the Hood" over it...It kicks so much ass it hurts

damn, dweezil and ozzy covering "stayin' alive" would be beyond awesome to hear.  also i agree on the devo cover of "head like a hole" and that was ment for my "covers i like more then the original" list.  i feel like an ass for not recognizing the "blackbird" party of hack's "boys in the hood" cover.

and ha!  how about the cover of "sympath for the devil" by guns and roses?

3Z3VH

• WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #52 on: 07 Jan 2005, 12:53 »

How about the David Byrne (Talking Heads) cover of Sympathy for the Devil ? :)
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

Enyaw

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #53 on: 07 Jan 2005, 21:37 »

Did anyone check out Nouvelle Vague?

ComfortEagle

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #54 on: 07 Jan 2005, 21:48 »

How about lounge against the machine, thats some funny stuff when they covered the sickness.

aekastar

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #55 on: 08 Jan 2005, 00:29 »

Quote from: karma monger
Worse covers? As much as I love Weezer, their cover of Velouria is atrocious.

Aw.. maybe I like it only 'cause I heard it before the original (as sacrilege as that probably is).

Quote from: Enyaw
Did anyone check out Nouvelle Vague?

It was on http://www.boomkat.com">boomkat's end of charts for '04 list and I listened to the clips that were there.  it sounds nice.  I didn't purchase it, but maybe sometime in the future.

church

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #56 on: 08 Jan 2005, 08:23 »

The Raincoats cover of Lola. Wow. It's so fucking good.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #57 on: 09 Jan 2005, 13:25 »

I'll post (with alterations) what I posted in the original thread I made on another forum that Schmungkins nicked this idea off of.

1: Dimmu Borgir-Burn in Hell (Cover of Twisted Sister)

I can imagine this song making black metal purists the world over cringe. Dimmu Borgir inject massive amounts of what can only be described as gleeful evil into this cheesy hair metal track. The pure genius touch is the way the first voice, which is supposed to be Satan, clears his throat delicately before screaming 'YOU'RE GONNA BURN IN HELL!'

2: Cradle of Filth-Death Comes Ripping (Cover of the Misfits)

Cradle of Filth managed to turn this rather light (despite it's title) horrorpunk track into what is easily their most vicious and extreme track. Dani's vocals are a constant bone-saw screech, accompanied by furious drumming and riffage that almost perfectly fuses punk and black metal.

3: Graveworm-Losing my Religion (Cover of REM)

I don't quite know what they did to this track, yet it's both unregocnisable and totally amazing.

4: Amorphis-Light my Fire (Cover of the Doors)

Coming as the bonus track at the end of an exceptionally bleak and low-key album based on all the most depressing bits of Finnish folklore, the up-beat guitar and cheesy keyboard (still set to organ but tuned up several octaves) come as a massive system shock. The best thing about this is the fact that the singing is still in an insanely low growl, with freuqent death metal grunts.

5: Arch Enemy-Aces High (Cover of Iron Maiden)

Arch Enemy have guitar that could blow almost any other band on the planet out the water: some of their old riffs and solos are unmatchable. They competently tackle this already amazing maiden song, and with the addition of Johan's death vocals, the song becomes just something else.

6: Therion-Summernight City (Cover of Abba)

I simply could not believe this had originally been an Abba track till I listened to the original. The effect they've created, fully utlising their normal tricks of choirs, multiple solo vocalists, layered electric guitar riffs and a full orchestra turn it into almost an opera piece.

7: Behemoth-Wish (Cover of Nine Inch Nails)

Behemoth saw the annoying electronic edges off this NIN track with pure metallic aggression, and hard-edged vocals that sound synthesised without the need for any machinery, giving the song an excellent atmosphere.

8: Anal Cunt-Staying Alive (Cover of the Beegees)

'OI! OI! OI! OI! STAYING ALOIVE!' Anal Cunts ultraviolent punk cover of this blandly inoffensive song has never failed to make anyone who's heard it laugh, making it possibly one of the funniest songs ever, and complete justification for the bands existence even on it's own.

9: Inkubus Sukkubus-Paint it Black (Cover of the Rolling Stones)

Inkubus Sukkubus bring just the right amount of anguish and synthesised goth rock drumming to remove any and all cheer this song ever had.

10: Apocalyptica-Master of Puppets (Cover of Metallica)

It's Master of Puppets played by a string quartet. 'nuff said.

Honourable mentions:
All the other Apocalyptica covers, (especially their cover of Ulvers 'Of Wolf and Man')
Johnny Cash-Hurt (Nine Inch Nails)
Children of Bodom-Somebody put Something in my Drink (The Ramones)
Type O Negative-Back in the USSR (The Beatles)
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

betteroffdead

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #58 on: 09 Jan 2005, 13:44 »

Quote from: geoff

if you wanted to be super rad and possibly send those four covers to me on aim (dogseatbabies) i would so be forever in love with you. :x

sure! what's your email address? or yea on aim i can do it too next i'm on.

and
Quote from: church
The Raincoats cover of Lola. Wow. It's so fucking good.

ahh YES! finally someone else who listens to the raincoats. that is one of my favourite favourite covers. one of the songs that got me into them.

Apathy

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #59 on: 09 Jan 2005, 13:51 »

The Cure's cover of Creep by Radiohead has always been a favourite.  They add some extremely nice atmospheric distorted feedback to the song on stage, creating a really grim, angst-ridden sound.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #60 on: 09 Jan 2005, 17:43 »

Ooh, I was digging through my old 7" records tonight and started listening to the Built to Spill/Marine Research split.  I had forgotten how good it was - BtS covers "By the Way" by MR and MR covers "Sick and Wrong" by BtS...
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

shumacher

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #61 on: 15 Feb 2005, 23:36 »

Quote from: Husker B.
Devo's Cover of NIN "Head Like a Hole" from the soundtrack to Supercop rocks.

Indeed!

I love covers.

I think my favorite has to be either Reel Big Fish's cover of Hungry Like The Wolf and Fiona Apple's cover of Bill Withers' Use Me.

The Sneaker Pimps cover of Firestarter and the Bjork cover of Satisfaction might be the two sexiest tracks in my collection.

The funniest have to be David Byrne covering Missy Elliot and Robie Williams covering Eminem.

mAlice aforeThought

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #62 on: 16 Feb 2005, 00:16 »

this is a long list because i am a whore for covers, and also so i'll have no excuse to pop up twice a day with more that i forgot.

Tori Amos : '97 bonnie & clyde <Eminem>
Rosetta Stone : rain <Madonna> unfortunately, i do not have this track.  i heard it önce years ago, and the beauty has stayed with me ever since.
Rosetta Stone : eye <the Smashing Pumpkins>
KMFDM : mysterious ways <U2> because it is mad funny!
the Sisters ov Mercy : comfortably numb <Pink Floyd>
the Sisters ov Mercy : emma <Hot Chocolate>
the Sisters ov Mercy : knocking on heaven's door <Bob Dylan>
Tori Amos : real men <Joe Jackson>
Locust : master and servant <Depeche Mode>
Collide : the lunatics have taken over the asylum <the Fun Boy Three> rosetta stone's was also really good, but collide's was grooviër.
Trust Obey vs. Paved in Skin : revenge <Ministry> everytime i listen to this, i want to do an animated musick video based on terry pratchett's soul music.
Attrition : memory, uncaring friend <Black Tape for a Blue Girl>
Lycia : across a thousand blades <Black Tape for a Blue Girl>
unto Ashes : (don't fear) the reaper <the Blue Oyster Cult>
Ophelia Rising with Abominable Id : the speed ov pain <Marilyn Manson> i burst into tears so bad listening to this song.  it's that beautiful.
Marilyn Manson : i put a spell on you <Screamin' Jay Hawkins> most ov their covers suck, but this öne was undeniably groovy.
Concrete Blonde : when you smile <the Dream Syndicate>
Concrete Blonde : everyvbody knows <Leonard Cohen>
Einstürzende Neubauten : sand <Lee Hazelwood/Nancy Sinatra>
Numb : push it <Salt 'n' Pepa> find this.  it is hilarious.  it is pure genius.
Coil : tainted love <Soft Cell made it famous, but they weren't the first.  if anyöne can tell me who was, i'd be very happy>

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #63 on: 16 Feb 2005, 00:28 »

Oh yeah, and I feel I need to point out Entombed's entire groovy-as-fook 'Sons of Satan Praise the Lord' cover CD, where the inventors of Death 'n Roll cover everything from the obvious (S.O.D.-March of the S.O.D.) to the comic (A rather awesome punk version of Amazing grace) to the utterly suprising (Bob Dylan-The Ballad of Hollis Brown, MC5-Kick out the Jams)

@Malice: I'd forgotten all of KMFDM's covers! They're all awesome. My fave is 'These Boots are Made for Walking'. Every time I hear it I can't believe it wasn't originally written as an Industrial stomp anthem.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

mAlice aforeThought

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #64 on: 16 Feb 2005, 00:40 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
@Malice: I'd forgotten all of KMFDM's covers! They're all awesome. My fave is 'These Boots are Made for Walking'. Every time I hear it I can't believe it wasn't originally written as an Industrial stomp anthem.

i didn't list that öne because it just seemed too obvious.  and i've, sadly, never heard their cover ov madonna's 'material girl.'

as far as KMFDM-related fun goes, although i said i wouldn't post more, i somehow COMPLETELY forgot pig.  every pig cover i've ever heard is amazing, so...

Pig : head like a hole <Nine Inch Nails>
Pig : disobedience <KMFDM>
Pig : 1979 <the Smashing Pumpkins>

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #65 on: 16 Feb 2005, 00:50 »

Quote from: mAlice aforeThought
I didn't list that öne because it just seemed too obvious.  and i've, sadly, never heard their cover ov madonna's 'material girl.'

Hey, I've got that. You want me to email you a dropload?

mAlice aforeThought

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #66 on: 16 Feb 2005, 01:25 »

sure!  if you could make it 128kb/s, that would rock ass.  anything smaller sounds like shit, anything larger makes the ancient god ov dialup very angry with me.

thanks!

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #67 on: 16 Feb 2005, 04:01 »

of the mentioned 'tainted love' cover...coil's is really well done, but so is skinny puppy's version.

what else?  

haujobb does bang up versions of 'smack my bitch up' by prodigy and 'die eir von satan' by tool.
razed in black does some good covers as well.  kmfdm's 'a drug against war', the cure's 'disintegration', tool's 'part of me', a pronce track, and some depeche mode too.
any of the various versions of billie holiday's 'gloomy sunday' are good too, except for sarah mclachlan's.  i can't stand her, but that's more of a personal thing.  bjork's is good, so is the portishead version.

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #68 on: 16 Feb 2005, 04:20 »

KhavBerNor really likes Finnish music, doesen't he?

My pick would be...

Bruce Dickinson - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

Or
Turisas - Those were the days.
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

AndSheeWas

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #69 on: 16 Feb 2005, 07:29 »

Oingo Boingo--Don't Fear the Reaper.
Goldfinger--Feel Like Making Love

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #70 on: 16 Feb 2005, 07:50 »

Quote from: mAlice aforeThought
Coil : tainted love <Soft Cell made it famous, but they weren't the first.  if anyöne can tell me who was, i'd be very happy>

The original was performed by Gloria Jones, and it was fairly famous in its time, too.  I don't know if they still have it up, but Coil's website used to link to the video of their "Tainted Love," which was amazing.  Marc Almond (singer of Soft Cell) plays the angel of death.

I like a few of Tom Jones' recent cover/collaborations:
Tom Jones with the Cardigans covering Talking Heads' "Burning Down the House"
Tom Jones with the Divine Comedy covering Portishead's "All Mine" (it really must be heard to be believed).
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Mnementh

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #71 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:01 »

Pulp's Common People, as covered by William Shatner and Joe Jackson

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #72 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:10 »

one thing that amuses me, Nirvana's cover of Lake of Fire is alot better than the original Meat Puppets version
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

AndSheeWas

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #73 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:22 »

Quote from: rynne

Love Tom Jones. Love Talking Heads. Hate that cover.

Beano

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #74 on: 16 Feb 2005, 08:24 »

Is Kirsty MacColl - A New England a cover? Only Billy Bragg wrote it, I know not whether it was written for her to sing or not.

Jeff Buckley or John Cale - Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)
Mogwai - Honey (JAMC)

I also quite like Radiohead's cover of 'Nobody Does it Better'.

Muse and the Flaming Lips generally do good covers.

ElRodente

• unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #75 on: 16 Feb 2005, 09:15 »

Quote from: betteroffdead

"99 red balloons"- goldfinger (nena)
"build me up buttercup"- the goops (foundations)
"take on me" and "boys don't cry"- reel big fish (a-ha, the cure)
"come on eileen"- save ferris (dexys midnight runners)

i love those songs, though havent heard most of the others ¬_¬

and lastly, Korn's version of "Word Up"

that too

Goldfinger--Feel Like Making Love

goldfinger are ace at covers, they also did rio (duran duran) and up the junction

i also like no-use for a name's cover of turning japanese :)

im also listening right now to a lagwagon version of inspector gadget, so that can go on the list too

and me first and the gimme gimmes are a personal favourite of mine ¬_¬
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

lofin

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #76 on: 16 Feb 2005, 09:48 »

It's good that someone remembered Jeff Buckley but how can people forget about Ciccone Youth?

Ciccone Youth - Into the Groovey (fucking sweet cover with awesome sampling, Thurston Moore)

Ciccone Youth - Burnin' Up (good cover by Mike Watt from Minutemen and Greg Ginn from Black Flag)

lofin

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #77 on: 16 Feb 2005, 09:50 »

edited because i get an error when i post.

AndSheeWas

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #78 on: 16 Feb 2005, 11:02 »

Quote from: 3Z3VH
How about the David Byrne (Talking Heads) cover of Sympathy for the Devil ? :)

Oh, that rocks!

mAlice aforeThought

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #79 on: 16 Feb 2005, 11:36 »

The original was performed by Gloria Jones, and it was fairly famous in its time, too.  I don't know if they still have it up, but Coil's website used to link to the video of their "Tainted Love," which was amazing.  Marc Almond (singer of Soft Cell) plays the angel of death.

yay!  thank you!  and i'll have to look for that video...i've spent quite a lot ov time on coil's website, but it's still quite conceivable that it's there and i simply overlooked it.

dancarter:  i've never been able to find skinny puppy's version.  where can i find it?

...and, oddly enough, opium jukebox's cover depresses the hell out ov me.

...too goddamn many people have covered that freaking song!

muffy

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #80 on: 16 Feb 2005, 11:49 »

The Faint - Psycho Killer

When they do that one live it's utterly fantastic

Suburban Post-Modernist

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #81 on: 16 Feb 2005, 14:46 »

Flaming Lips - Can't Get You Out of My Head (Kylie Minouge)
Pearl Jam - Don't be Shy (Cat Stevens)
Audioslave - 7 Nation Army (The White Stripes)
Urge Overkill - Girl You'll be a Woman Soon (Neil Diamond)
William Shatner - Common People (Pulp)
Ours - Femme Fatal (The Velvet Underground)
Pete Yorn - Panic (The Smiths)
Screaming Trees - Working Class Hero (John Lennon)
Orgy - Blue Monday (New Order)
Johnny Cash - Hurt (NIN)
Johnny Cash - Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode)
Filter - One (???)
Cake - I WIll Survive (Gloria Gaynor)
Aaron Lewis (Staind) - Black (Pearl Jam)
A Perfect Circle - Imagine (John Lennon)

MilkmanDan

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #82 on: 16 Feb 2005, 15:16 »

Atmosphere - War Pigs
Awesome song. Mr Dibbs adds in these really fucked up drums under the riffage and then cuts the fuck up with the guitars and generally gets his wail on. And then Slug sings as only a ludicrously drunken mid-westen MC can.

Nostalgia 77 - Seven nation Army
While retaining the militant bassline and the majority of the guitarage, Nostalgia 77 turn this into song into a seriously laid-back Funk Jazz groove. Female vocals, sax, trumpet solo, it's badass.

I don't really know what counts as a cover though. I mean, I listen to tons of remixes, mash-ups etc. but I don't thinl they count. Cover implies actually playing the song yourself.

Mnementh

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #83 on: 16 Feb 2005, 17:36 »

Rachid Taha's cover of Rock the Casbah.  I heard it on NPR tonight.  It's an Arabic version, it really rocks.

muffy

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #84 on: 16 Feb 2005, 17:45 »

I don't know if it's been said and I've missed it, but
The Postal Service - Against All Odds..

ElClandestino

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #85 on: 16 Feb 2005, 18:25 »

Without a doubt, my favorite cover is the Eagles of Death Metal version of Stuck in the Middle With You (they called it stuck in the metal...ha) originally by Stealer's Wheel

icu

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #86 on: 16 Feb 2005, 22:02 »

Favorite covers that come to mind right now:
(not a huge fan of covers unless the artist puts their own stamp on the song without 'ruining' it - delicate balance):

Red Hot Chili Peppers
-  Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground"

or

SRV - Hendrix's "Little Wing"
(or his "Third Stone from the Sun" on the 'Live At The El Macambo' video - good Hendrix covers are rare)

If I can mention a worst (as it's sour taste is still with me) it would be that debacle at the Grammy's - "Across the Universe"  (I have a wmv of it *ah yes here )It's not all bad I must say - Stevie rules and a few others were okay - I just don't think they did the song justice at all - kinda ruined it imo. (maybe a rehearsal would have helped?)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #87 on: 16 Feb 2005, 22:14 »

I like a few of Tom Jones' recent cover/collaborations:

Oh my God YES. I have a copy of this on my computer, and it blows me away every time.

Also, I thought APC's cover of Imagine kind of missed the point entirely.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ElRodente

• unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #88 on: 17 Feb 2005, 02:20 »

me first and the gimme gimmes - Hava nagila ¬_¬

and auld lang syne
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

likeadocentslisp

oh man
« Reply #89 on: 17 Feb 2005, 19:26 »

any cover johnny cash does, ever, is amazing.  he is the god of music.  i have him doing covers of danzig songs.  on another hand, any cover done by an undoubtably ska band of an eighties song is bad.  i've heard a lot.  they are all bad.  i agree with the comic on this one.  it has to stop.  also bad: covering "love will tear us apart."  i'm looking at you, fallout boy.  stop it.  that song is amazing.  we don't need you "softcore"ing it up.  leave it alone.  unless johnny cash comes back from beyond the grave and covers it, then it will be amazing.

kilconey

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/kilconey/
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #90 on: 17 Feb 2005, 19:55 »

Quote from: muffy
I don't know if it's been said and I've missed it, but
The Postal Service - Against All Odds..

who did that originally?

my favorite cover has got to be oasis going "i am the walrus".  with super loud guitars and a lot of feedback and i like it better than the original.  i love the beatles but sometimes...i miss guitar.
say something funny.  like sloppy joe.

muffy

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #91 on: 17 Feb 2005, 20:08 »

I think Phil Collins did the original (but I really can't stand his voice),
it's been covered by loads of other people  though, like Mariah Carey and Steve Brookstein, but they're pretty gash.

lprkn

• Obscure cultural reference
Re: oh man
« Reply #92 on: 18 Feb 2005, 00:36 »

Quote from: likeadocentslisp
any cover johnny cash does, ever, is amazing.  he is the god of music...  also bad: covering "love will tear us apart..." unless johnny cash comes back from beyond the grave and covers it, then it will be amazing.

Word

I really like Joe Strummer and Johnny Cash's version of Redemption Song. Maybe mostly because it has Johnny Cash and Joe Strummer. RIP

Jamoky

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #93 on: 18 Feb 2005, 01:30 »

"come on eileen"- save ferris (dexys midnight runners)

Have you heard the RBF version? I think it wins.

Benu

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #94 on: 18 Feb 2005, 20:15 »

I think Ben Folds did good version of The Flaming Lips' - She Don't use Jelly

mee-kay-la

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #95 on: 20 Feb 2005, 17:25 »

Okay.

Jimi Hendrix's cover of "All Along the Watchtower" by Bob Dylan.
Eric Clapton's cover of "Crossroads" by i forget who.
Nirvana's cover of "Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam" by the Vaselines. (yes I know. People either love or hate Nirvana. Don't bitch at me if you hate them. please.)
Allman Brothers Band cover of "Sugar Magnolia" by the Grateful Dead. It's a live track I found on the net, but it's really good. :nod:

Jeshus chrisht. I can't remember any more... They're on the tip of my tongue. Ah, well, that's what the Edit button is for...

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #96 on: 20 Feb 2005, 17:30 »

ahh YES! finally someone else who listens to the raincoats. that is one of my favourite favourite covers. one of the songs that got me into them.

I <3 <3 <3 the Raincoats.

The Residents' cover of Stars and Stripes forever is the most awesome song you can ever hear ever. That or their cover of "These boots were made for walking", which sounds nothing like the original.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

ev0lve

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #97 on: 20 Feb 2005, 18:01 »

I generally don't like covers. BUT..

Frente! - Bizarre Love Triangle (New Order)

Ani Difranco - Blackbird (the Beatles), Do Re Mi (Woody Guthrie), Wishin' and Hopin' (Not sure who did the original),  Most of the Time (Bob Dylan), Used Cars (Bruce Springsteen)

Marilyn Manson - Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode), Tainted Love (Soft Cell)

Skinny Puppy - Tainted Love (Soft Cell)

Nine Inch Nails - Supernaut (Black Sabbath), Physical (Adam Ant)

Pearl Jam - Last Kiss (J Frank Wilson)

Xiu Xiu - Fast Car (was this by Tracy Chapman originally or was hers a cover, too?)

plus all the radiohead and nirvana ones previously mentioned.
maybe i don't hate covers so much.. but i absolutely LOATHE johnny cash's cover of hurt. hate. it. with. a. Passion. &any pink floyd cover i've ever heard has just been atrocious.

Duchess Tapioca

• Larger than most fish
    • Somebody wrote something about me on the internet!
Best Cover Versions
« Reply #98 on: 20 Feb 2005, 18:30 »

I like Echo and the Bunnymen's cover of the Doors' "People are Strange" It's necessarly better, but the piano part is really neat. I also like Siouxsie and the Banshees' version of "Dear Prudence" and especially "You're lost little girl," because they made it sound Lewis Carol-ish, which is nice.

Willis

Best Cover Versions
« Reply #99 on: 20 Feb 2005, 18:45 »

Quote from: mee-kay-la

Jimi Hendrix's cover of "All Along the Watchtower" by Bob Dylan.

I've been reading this whole thread hoping that I wouldn't be the first to mention this one and thankfully, I'm not.  IMHO that may be the cover to end all covers.  Dylan started playing Hendrix's version after hearing it.
As for others on my list:
Nirvana -- Where Did You Sleep Last Night?
the Gourds -- Gin & Juice
William Shatner -- Common People
And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead -- Porpoise Song
Jeff Buckley -- Hallelujah
Johnny Cash -- Hurt
10000 Maniacs -- Don't Go Back to Rockville
Eric Cartman -- O Holy Night

~~Willis
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up