Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is Hank the Dismemberer?

Claire Augustus
Emily Azuma
Bubbles (the hypocrite)
Momo (the undercover superhero)
Winslow (the Protector of the Daughter of the Creator)
Pintsize (we all knew it in our hearts)
Station (the AI Gods can be in many places at once)
Dora Bianchi
Pizza Girl (she needed a new schtick)
Marten Reed (You didn't think he afforded that rent on a Librarian's salary, did you?)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 23-27 November 2015 (Strips 3096-3100)  (Read 32539 times)

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
Re: WCDT 23-27 November 2015 (Strips 3096-3100)
« Reply #100 on: 25 Nov 2015, 14:11 »

Ok, I need some fashion enlightenment here.

Why is the manbun or whatever people want to call it so hated? I have long hair but my hairstyle doesn't really allow me to have a bun. So I just go for your average pony tail when I don't want to look like your average metalhead.
What's the reason it got a douche-stain all over it? Just curious.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #101 on: 25 Nov 2015, 14:49 »

As far as I can tell, it's the reverse of the cause and effect. Kind of like with the mullet, the trillby/fedora or the 'tramp stamp' tattoos. Certain groups of unpleasant people have taken to wearing these things as a fashion choice and it has become associated with them. So the thought goes, some jerky guys started wearing their hair in a lazy, messy 'bun'. It became associated with them. So if you choose to wear the man bun, you must be one of those jerky guys. People would say 'but that doesn't make sense! You don't have to act like that to wear your hair like that!'. Well no, of course not. But making sense is not a requirement to being judgmental to stereotyping people. In fact it's usually a detriment to doing those things.

improvnerd

• Furry furrier
« Reply #102 on: 25 Nov 2015, 14:51 »

Do we think May is actually damaged, or is she just swearing in the last panel?

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #103 on: 25 Nov 2015, 14:56 »

for someone who's afraid of AIs being perceived as dangerous, momo can be pretty damn trigger-happy sometimes.

Ok, I need some fashion enlightenment here.

Why is the manbun or whatever people want to call it so hated? I have long hair but my hairstyle doesn't really allow me to have a bun. So I just go for your average pony tail when I don't want to look like your average metalhead.
What's the reason it got a douche-stain all over it? Just curious.
people enjoy being judgmental, and judging other people to be douchebags lets them do it without having to face up to their own douchebaggery

Roxtar

• Larger than most fish
  • Slacker
« Reply #104 on: 25 Nov 2015, 15:06 »

hope this isn't over the line (more of an art critique than anything else) but on the subject of genitals it appears that Sven has none in this comic.
from bottom of fly  to belt buckle in frame 1 is ~ 18 pixels
from bottom of eyeglass lens to top of eyeglass lens is ~ 14 pixels, and Sven isn't wearing huge glasses.
so, either that belt is riding mid-cock (which judging by ass position seems unlikely) or sven is a ken-doll.

Putting the word "genitals" into red text of a huge size was utterly puerile; I normalised it.
the use of "puerile" as a pejorative indicates that being boyish is a negative. please correct your thinking.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2015, 18:39 by Roxtar »
You told us about your trigger. people informing others of their triggers is one of my triggers. please refrain from doing that again. Oh, I've just triggered myself... which sounds more enjoyable than it really is.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #105 on: 25 Nov 2015, 15:07 »

So it seems electricity doesn't having the "jacking on" effect for robots in QC.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #106 on: 25 Nov 2015, 15:12 »

It's worth noting that... we can safely say that Momo's shock is deadly force to both people (it's over 50 V and 30 mA simultaneously) and electronics (canonically, and UNINTENTIONALLY, at least in the old chassis).

Now, Momo had a reasonable belief that she needed to defend herself - May may well have committed assault under Massachusetts law by going for Momo's skirt, which allowed Momo to use a reasonable defense... but she was not at risk of serious bodily harm or death, so she was not allowed to use deadly force.

Upshot, both of them could go to robot jail if someone wants to file charges.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #107 on: 25 Nov 2015, 15:26 »

Does it occur to no one that Momo can control the power of her taser burst? That she doesn't have to or indeed does use it with intent to kill every time she uses it? That the force could have been the equivalent of punching a friend who made a crude and inappropriate comment about the form (or in this case, existence) of her genitals. I am not saying this excuses physical violence in response to crude language and inappropriate questions. But there is a level of difference between punching a friend and pulling out a gun and shooting them. It's pretty unlikely Momo's heading to Robot Jail over this. And even less likely that May will be the one to report her.

Roxtar

• Larger than most fish
  • Slacker
« Reply #108 on: 25 Nov 2015, 16:00 »

Does it occur to no one that Momo can control the power of her taser burst? That she doesn't have to or indeed does use it with intent to kill every time she uses it? That the force could have been the equivalent of punching a friend who made a crude and inappropriate comment about the form (or in this case, existence) of her genitals. I am not saying this excuses physical violence in response to crude language and inappropriate questions. But there is a level of difference between punching a friend and pulling out a gun and shooting them. It's pretty unlikely Momo's heading to Robot Jail over this. And even less likely that May will be the one to report her.

arcing electricity follows fairly predictable rules. circuitry also responds fairly predictably to current.

seeing as how a simple static spark (arc measured in millimeters) can fry a computer motherboard, any arc covering the distance shown in the comic would easily destroy a cpu/ram/other. if May were grounded... the current would bypass her circuitry, but she wouldn't go all "ajfhaskfhdskehf" like she does in the comic were that the case.
You told us about your trigger. people informing others of their triggers is one of my triggers. please refrain from doing that again. Oh, I've just triggered myself... which sounds more enjoyable than it really is.

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB
« Reply #109 on: 25 Nov 2015, 16:05 »

I don't think May's posture or words in panel 3 are consistent with her "going for Momo's skirt." She was being very shitty but I don't see any contact being initiated.
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2015, 16:11 by CaptainFish »

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #110 on: 25 Nov 2015, 16:29 »

Why is the manbun or whatever people want to call it so hated?
Meh... It's just the "Nobody should live their lives differently from the way I do" reaction. Refer to people's negative reactions to "long haired hippies" or mullets. I think there's an element of racism too, since men wearing long hair in buns has been, and still is, much more common outside Western cultures.
(click to show/hide)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #111 on: 25 Nov 2015, 17:12 »

I think I may be growing to accept - even enjoy - the forum's inevitable overanalysis of QC slapstick humour.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

electromgneticDstroyosaur

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #112 on: 25 Nov 2015, 17:58 »

Ultra-Car is Hank the Dismemberer.
Just remember the 3 V's:  volume, vehemence, and venom.

Roxtar

• Larger than most fish
  • Slacker
« Reply #113 on: 25 Nov 2015, 18:38 »

THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO...

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #114 on: 25 Nov 2015, 19:20 »

Hmm... Nope, I'm still not tired of reading about Momo and May's escapades.

I think we just need to clone Jeph, and have the clone work exclusively on a Momo & May webcomic.
...and have another clone for a Hannelore webcomic.
...and another for a robot fight club webcomic.
...and another for a Clairepuns webcomic.
...and another for a...

I demand at least two for Alice Grove.

It's settled, then.  It's time to go all Clone Saga on Jeph.  Who wants to volunteer to be our Jackal?
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

wlewisiii

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #115 on: 25 Nov 2015, 19:33 »

Mistake Not ...
(click to show/hide)

Good ship name.
Emily is the Avatar.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #116 on: 25 Nov 2015, 19:55 »

We were all wrong. Jerry is Hank the Dismemberer.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #117 on: 25 Nov 2015, 20:05 »

... Apparently it is possible, probably not even infrequent for humans and AnthroPCs to be ah... physically intimate. It's at least common enough that the err... equipment necessary for such activities is either standard or an option for some chassis.

Fleshlights. Real Dolls. Advanced technology gives people more opportunities to be people. I am sure at least some AIs are "equipped". (And I wonder what Momo thinks of that.) At least it appears no AIs are forced into a life not of their choosing.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #118 on: 25 Nov 2015, 20:22 »

Yet the fight club exists.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #119 on: 25 Nov 2015, 20:32 »

Why is the manbun or whatever people want to call it so hated?
Meh... It's just the "Nobody should live their lives differently from the way I do" reaction. Refer to people's negative reactions to "long haired hippies" or mullets. I think there's an element of racism too, since men wearing long hair in buns has been, and still is, much more common outside Western cultures.
(click to show/hide)

[nitpick ] Those are top-knots, not man-buns (/nitpick]
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #120 on: 25 Nov 2015, 20:37 »

But no one is forced to participate. Life circumstances might make it feel like the only option they might have, but it's not compulsory by any means.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #121 on: 25 Nov 2015, 21:21 »

But no one is forced to participate. Life circumstances might make it feel like the only option they might have, but it's not compulsory by any means.

You're playing games with semantics. I daresay that the original context was meant to imply "forced by circumstance." Claiming that no AIs are forced into a life not of their choosing holds very little meaning if you are going to restricted "forced" to mean direct legal or physical compulsion.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #122 on: 25 Nov 2015, 22:39 »

But we're not talking about, say, the involuntary landing of a plane due to necessity. Much like how prostitution or working a fast food job isn't preferred by most, there's still an element of choice involved, difficulty in other options aside.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2015, 07:05 by Omega Entity »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #123 on: 25 Nov 2015, 22:41 »

There's no reason for Jeph to go there but given the society he's portrayed there are probably things going on as bad as AIs doing sex work when they'd rather do something else.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DashaBlade

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #124 on: 26 Nov 2015, 08:00 »

If the fight club is exploitative, and robots are victims of circumstance that causes them to make the choice to fight, even against their own better interests, then Momo is way off base for being upset at the robots who fight. She'd be the AI equivalent of a person who blames a prostitute for prostitution, while knowing that the prostitute in question was manipulated into selling sex. Or a person who blames a common soldier for a war, when enlisted people aren't the ones making the policy and the soldier only enlisted because the economy is in the toilet and he couldn't find a job in the private sector.

And if that's the case, I think my respect for Momo would go way, way down. You don't blame the pawn for the chess player's strategies, even if the pawn willingly joins the game.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #125 on: 26 Nov 2015, 08:11 »

i personally think it'd be a pretty interesting turn if after her whole thing with Bubbles & the BattleBots momo were to accidentally injure someone

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #126 on: 26 Nov 2015, 08:24 »

i personally think it'd be a pretty interesting turn if after her whole thing with Bubbles & the BattleBots momo were to accidentally injure someone

Hey! Possible future story arc!

May is badly hurt (power cell burned out) and she has to go into storage mode until someone fixes her chassis or gives her a new one - the AI equivalent of a coma but nowhere near as hard from which to recover.

Momo is hauled before a judge and, as it is a first offence and May admits that she was pushing her hard, she is enrolled in anger management therapy. It turns out that Robot Anger Management Therapy is Corpse Witch's day job. So it is that Momo meets a lot of the fighters and, more importantly, spends a lot of time with Bubbles, who has a lot of anger to work out.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Mmeaninglessnamee

• Plantmonster
« Reply #127 on: 26 Nov 2015, 08:26 »

Actually, we haven't heard of Jimbo publishing any books recently. Maybe he's a robot fighter now.
Signature? More like Sigindustrial!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #128 on: 26 Nov 2015, 11:57 »

If the fight club is exploitative, and robots are victims of circumstance that causes them to make the choice to fight, even against their own better interests, then Momo is way off base for being upset at the robots who fight. She'd be the AI equivalent of a person who blames a prostitute for prostitution, while knowing that the prostitute in question was manipulated into selling sex. Or a person who blames a common soldier for a war, when enlisted people aren't the ones making the policy and the soldier only enlisted because the economy is in the toilet and he couldn't find a job in the private sector.

And if that's the case, I think my respect for Momo would go way, way down. You don't blame the pawn for the chess player's strategies, even if the pawn willingly joins the game.

Why do you think she's upset at the robots who fight?

DashaBlade

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #129 on: 26 Nov 2015, 12:17 »

Well, she's made her position on military AIs pretty clear - she understands them but still thinks it's wrong. I'm only extrapolating at this point, but I'd think that someone who fights for money as an individual rather than in a clear chain of command might not be looked on too kindly either.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #130 on: 26 Nov 2015, 12:32 »

I think she's more likely to look down on people who dislike others based on supposition.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #131 on: 26 Nov 2015, 13:21 »

Turkey Terminator??
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

improvnerd

• Furry furrier
« Reply #132 on: 26 Nov 2015, 14:56 »

Turkey Terminator??

Looks more the the Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #133 on: 26 Nov 2015, 15:33 »

Turkey of Borg.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #134 on: 26 Nov 2015, 15:43 »

Momo has given at least part of the answer herself. She believes that AIs that exhibit violent behaviour provoke "ZOMG!!! KILLER ROBOTZ!!!" fears, however unjustified, and potentially create anti-AI sentiment and prejudice.

More generally, and speaking from personal experience, if one has made a commitment to non-violence (which Momo might have done, though some doubt is cast on this by her willingness to resort to electrocution in situations where violent self-defence was not obviously necessary :-P), one faces the problem of how to respond to people who have made other life-choices. I believe that Rule One is "Don't be a jerk about it". There have been, and still are, a number of people on this forum who have served in their country's military. This is not a choice I would make (assuming there actually was a choice where conscription is in force), but there is not only one decent and honourable path in life, so I'm content simply to accept that their way is not my way. The same applies to fighting in the ring, eating meat, wearing a man-bun, and many other things.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

moriastar

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #135 on: 26 Nov 2015, 16:19 »

Sorry if this seems off topic, but I'm curious where Jeff gets the pictures of the Turkeys. Does he do a google search or did he take them himself at some point at some turkey farm?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #136 on: 26 Nov 2015, 16:39 »

Momo has given at least part of the answer herself. She believes that AIs that exhibit violent behaviour provoke "ZOMG!!! KILLER ROBOTZ!!!" fears, however unjustified, and potentially create anti-AI sentiment and prejudice.

Okay. Fine. Apparently, we're all happy to believe that, because Momo disagrees with AIs getting involved in human military conflict specifically, then we're going to extrapolate from that one data point that surely she's upset at robots who fight through absolute necessity due to their unfortunate circumstances.

Here's where I get grumpy.

If the fight club is exploitative, and robots are victims of circumstance that causes them to make the choice to fight, even against their own better interests, then Momo is way off base for being upset at the robots who fight.

So, we're getting angry at Momo for failing to see that they are victims of circumstance, immediately after assuming that she must have failed to see, or has ignored, that they are victims of circumstance.

I can't get my head around the circular logic. You're begging the question.

So, could you possibly entertain the very very slight notion that she might not actually be upset at the robots who fight, for the very reasons you cited - that they are victims of circumstance? I'm sure she's upset at the necessity of it. But, "You don't blame the pawn for the chess player's strategies" - why are you assuming that she does? Maybe she does, but how about the benefit of the doubt?

DAMN YOU, CLOUD! *shakes fist*

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #137 on: 26 Nov 2015, 16:52 »

Okay. Fine. Apparently, we're all happy to believe that, because Momo disagrees with AIs getting involved in human military conflict specifically, then we're going to extrapolate from that one data point that surely she's upset at robots who fight through absolute necessity due to their unfortunate circumstances.
Er... What? I don't think I extrapolated anything.

But I do think I misread this sentence. I read it as "Why do you think she's upset at robots who fight?", rather than "Why do you think she's upset at the robots who fight?" referring specifically to the the fight-club robots. My bad and my apologies.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #138 on: 26 Nov 2015, 17:04 »

But I do think I misread this sentence. I read it as "Why do you think she's upset at robots who fight?", rather than "Why do you think she's upset at the robots who fight?" referring specifically to the the fight-club robots. My bad and my apologies.

Ah! Thanks for clarifying that. I apologise as well for not realising that you were referring to AIs that exhibit violent behaviour in general rather than specifically the robots that fight at the rink. Yes, that's probably not an extrapolation.

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #139 on: 26 Nov 2015, 20:10 »

Meanwhile, comic. In which we find that Faye is irreplaced.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #140 on: 26 Nov 2015, 20:18 »

More generally, and speaking from personal experience, if one has made a commitment to non-violence (which Momo might have done, though some doubt is cast on this by her willingness to resort to electrocution in situations where violent self-defence was not obviously necessary :-P), one faces the problem of how to respond to people who have made other life-choices. I believe that Rule One is "Don't be a jerk about it". There have been, and still are, a number of people on this forum who have served in their country's military. This is not a choice I would make (assuming there actually was a choice where conscription is in force), but there is not only one decent and honourable path in life, so I'm content simply to accept that their way is not my way. The same applies to fighting in the ring, eating meat, wearing a man-bun, and many other things.
"Respect all ways. Practice first your own." -- Master Po, Kung Fu
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #141 on: 26 Nov 2015, 20:55 »

Meanwhile, comic. In which we find that Faye is irreplaced.

May has the attitude to start working there, and she certainly doesn't drink.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #142 on: 26 Nov 2015, 20:59 »

Irreplaced?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #143 on: 26 Nov 2015, 21:53 »

I think a lot of what's going on is Dora's trust issues, at this point - especially after Faye screwed her over, she really won't trust anyone to run the business unless she's absolutely forced to.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #144 on: 26 Nov 2015, 22:11 »

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #145 on: 26 Nov 2015, 23:18 »

Have you ever heard the saying "It sounds weirder than it actually was"? Something tells me that this didn't apply in the event that Hannelore was describing today. You are left with the duty to visualise Penny barricading the restrooms and singing La Marseillaise in a raucous voice. Did Tai have to drag Dora away in the end?

Meanwhile, it tells you a lot that the response Hanners has to May is: "Oh, that's May." Building up immunity through exposure seems to be a thing socially too!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Perfectly Reasonable

« Reply #146 on: 26 Nov 2015, 23:30 »

At least it appears no AIs are forced into a life not of their choosing.
Lessee... Momo seeks a way to repay the debt she feels she owes to Marigold. So she gets a library job. As an AI, she is able to plug directly into the library databases. In my head canon, she acts as an intelligent search engine for them. And does a job a human could not do nearly as well.

May finds herself exploring the lower rungs of the economic ladder. She could probably do some kind of high level data manipulating job, but given her history, who would trust her? (And could she do such a job without being bored to tears?) So she gets jobs mere humans could do (but would rather not). If she were "equipped", and willing to pander to the base desires of the fleshlings, her range of choices would be wider. If not more attractive.

Bubbles ... seems to be trapped inside her own head. Her original motivation, a noble one, has led her into despondence. What she could do, she would not.

I seem to be groping toward the notion that these AIs, while limited by circumstance, are not denied choice. In the sense that there are no restrictive laws, no piles of burning robot bodies, they are still able to find their own destiny.

Perfectly Reasonable

« Reply #147 on: 26 Nov 2015, 23:47 »

As for today's comic, I would dismiss it as utter nonsense, except that we know we can rely on Hannelore to be truthful. The only thing we learn from history is that we've been reading the wrong kind of history. I think what Penelope actually wanted was to organize a worker's soviet. The means of caffinization belong in the hands of the people!

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #148 on: 27 Nov 2015, 05:26 »

Why did Hanners shrink upwards of 4" between panels 3 & 4?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #149 on: 27 Nov 2015, 05:30 »

Irreplaced?

Perfectly cromulent.
I'm not finding it anywhere. Does it just mean "not replaced"?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up