• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Valentine's Weekend Coming!

Marten proposes to Claire
Dora proposes to Tai
CLAIRE proposes to MARTEN (because she's a modern, liberated woman)
Emily asks Faye and Bubbles if this is their first date; stuttering ensues
Pintsize - The AnthroPC Who Stole Valentine's Day
Jeph reveals a half-dozen new ships in a matter of a few strips as if we should have known about them already
Mr Burny the Espresso Machine announces his love for the cash register
Sven writes a sugary love ballad and invites his sister to work out who its about

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3151 to 3155 (8 - 12 February 2016)  (Read 35551 times)

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: WCDT Strips 3151 to 3155 (8 - 12 February 2016)
« Reply #100 on: 10 Feb 2016, 10:41 »

Dealing with a "bigoted religious relatives" arc would be difficult for me, but sometimes good art is difficult, and sometimes difficult helps us get past things that have been hanging over us.

I had a cousin who died of HIV. Family relationships and bigoted relatives were among the reasons he never sought treatment. It was about whether he'd be allowed to be buried on the family plot in Hallowed Ground.

So... he lasted a couple of years and died a horrible painful lingering death, which is the way of HIV left untreated.  By his own choice ultimately, to go along with my aunt and uncle's judgment on the matter.  I think I may be the only one he ever talked to about it, because I'm the one who recognized the AIDS symptoms and said so, in private, when I was trying to get him to go to the doctor. 

I haven't spoken to that particular aunt and uncle in the last decade, and probably won't.  They may be family, but they're family I don't want to be around anymore.

So, yeah, a "bigoted religious relatives" arc would be depressing for me.  Then again, I could appreciate it as a statement too, and would be interested to see where Jeph took it.

All I'm going to say about this question is, 'Trust the Artist to Make the Art.'

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #101 on: 10 Feb 2016, 11:09 »

Dealing with a "bigoted religious relatives" arc would be difficult for me, but sometimes good art is difficult, and sometimes difficult helps us get past things that have been hanging over us.

Of course art can sometimes be hard, but when it comes to trans issues, Jeph isn't the one to do it. Cis writers can't really do that kind of storyline well, to be honest; they can't fully understand, and I think Jeph knows that and is backing off when it comes to Claire.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #102 on: 10 Feb 2016, 11:23 »

Actually, if we're going to have Claire deal with some difficult relatives, there's a major one that we know very little about: her dad. We know he  cheated on Claire's mom, and Claire has serious issues about that. He seems to be pretty much out of Claire's life for now. But it's the sort of thing that can cause trust issues down the road. If he were to reappear, it could set off a few things between Claire and Marten.

Now, Claire probably knows by now that Marten is the least likely person to cheat on her, or anyone else, ever. It's just not in his makeup. But irrational fears are, by definition, irrational - knowing something with your head doesn't necessarily mean you believe it.

Just a possibility. Might not ever happen. But if you're looking for relationship drama, there's an obvious potential storyline.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

comicalArchitect

« Reply #103 on: 10 Feb 2016, 13:19 »

Actually, if we're going to have Claire deal with some difficult relatives, there's a major one that we know very little about: her dad. We know he  cheated on Claire's mom, and Claire has serious issues about that. He seems to be pretty much out of Claire's life for now. But it's the sort of thing that can cause trust issues down the road. If he were to reappear, it could set off a few things between Claire and Marten.

Now, Claire probably knows by now that Marten is the least likely person to cheat on her, or anyone else, ever. It's just not in his makeup. But irrational fears are, by definition, irrational - knowing something with your head doesn't necessarily mean you believe it.

Just a possibility. Might not ever happen. But if you're looking for relationship drama, there's an obvious potential storyline.
That sounds way too similar to what happened with Dora. If we're gonna get some Marten/Claire drama, it should be something new.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #104 on: 10 Feb 2016, 13:23 »

There is actually another way to resolve that drama.

What if Claire cheats - either because she thinks Marten is, or because of something she internalized from her dad?

(I really don't think it'd happen, but it could...)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #105 on: 10 Feb 2016, 13:59 »

No

Just ..... NO!

What would be more intriguing is if the Landlord turns out to be an AnthroPC that Bubbles knows!

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #106 on: 10 Feb 2016, 14:01 »

It's been Pintsize all along. That's how they get away with all the property/Roomba damage.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #107 on: 10 Feb 2016, 14:04 »

Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnnn
James The Kugai 

comicalArchitect

« Reply #108 on: 10 Feb 2016, 14:13 »

No

Just ..... NO!

What would be more intriguing is if the Landlord turns out to be an AnthroPC that Bubbles knows!

HANK

THE

DISMEMBERER

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #109 on: 10 Feb 2016, 14:14 »

Hank and Pintsize are the same AI! I knew it all along!

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #110 on: 10 Feb 2016, 14:34 »

No

Just ..... NO!
I didn't say I wanted it to happen, or that I thought it would happen, or that it'd even be a good story if it did happen. Just that it'd be a way to have that conflict, and resolve it in a way that isn't the same as what happened with Dora.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #111 on: 10 Feb 2016, 14:51 »

It's been Pintsize all along. That's how they get away with all the property/Roomba damage.

It would answer the question of where he gets his money.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #112 on: 10 Feb 2016, 16:46 »

Uh? Marten, what are you doing? You're wasting all that water by letting Claire shower all alone.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #113 on: 10 Feb 2016, 16:53 »

Need more conflict. Feel-good stuff is nice and all, but gets very samey very quickly.

To you, Willis, and Whedon, I say:
No.
Sometimes, couples should get to just be happy.

comicalArchitect

« Reply #114 on: 10 Feb 2016, 17:44 »

About the happy-couple thing: I think QC is purposely cutting down on the main cast's drama and reaching a place of stability in order to make way for danger coming from without rather than within. Maybe it'll be something mundane like a disease, or maybe something fantastical like the "virus" Hannelore mentioned when asked about her five-year plan, but it's coming.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #115 on: 10 Feb 2016, 17:51 »

Didn't that happen recently with Faye's breakup, alcohol relapse and firing? Jeph hasn't spend much time, as of yet, on it in the grand timeline but it's still a huge story effecting event.

comicalArchitect

« Reply #116 on: 10 Feb 2016, 18:20 »

Didn't that happen recently with Faye's breakup, alcohol relapse and firing? Jeph hasn't spend much time, as of yet, on it in the grand timeline but it's still a huge story effecting event.

I view that as the "final boss" of QC as it used to be. Having (now fully with Dora and Faye's reconciliation) bounced back from that, the bonds between the cast are stronger than ever, ready to take on something NOT under their control, danger from without rather than within.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #117 on: 10 Feb 2016, 18:27 »

Claire should push to get a tankless water heater installed.

I looked into a tankless water heater recently.  They tend to be unreliable in extreme cold.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #118 on: 10 Feb 2016, 20:10 »

Her mother might object, exclaiming "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a tankless child".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #119 on: 10 Feb 2016, 20:44 »

On a serious, out-of-comic note, It's worth noting that while tankless can reduce energy usage at the meter... it could actually increase energy usage overall, due to grid impact, for electric tankless. (Gas tankless doesn't really matter in that regard though.)

Essentially, the grid needs more energy storage, to smooth out demand and supply spikes. Tanked hot water heaters are a form of residential thermal energy storage, which means that some time-shifting of electricity usage can be done. If there's sharp loads on the grid, then peaker power plants that are rather inefficient and are fossil fueled have to be brought online to make up for the shortfall in power, whereas consistent loads, or loads that cut themselves in response to high loads elsewhere (or activate themselves in response to low demand), can smooth out the grid and allow more of the capacity to be efficient base load plants.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #120 on: 10 Feb 2016, 21:14 »

Well, I guess it's nice to be able to ogle the same person with your significant other...
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #121 on: 10 Feb 2016, 21:18 »

Her mother might object, exclaiming "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a tankless child".
That pun made me leer.

I don't know how tankless water-heaters are installed in the USA or other places where temperatures drop below freezing. In Australia, they are usually mounted on an outside wall so that they have ample ventilation. If that were done in the USA, careful attention would have to be given to protecting the water-inlet pipe from frost. They are not common here; mostly we have tanked systems running on off-peak electricity.

Couple ogling is a definite advantage for Dora and Tai. I suppose if they marry, Dora will Tai the knot?
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2016, 21:43 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #122 on: 10 Feb 2016, 21:20 »

Tai is the perfect girlfriend. I'll take one, please.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

TheEvilDog

« Reply #123 on: 10 Feb 2016, 21:28 »

I swear on me that in the first panel Tai looks like she's wearing a beanie.

Curse my weird eyes!

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #124 on: 10 Feb 2016, 21:31 »

What's that Tai's reading?

*Zoom in and enhance!*

Ah. Of course.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #125 on: 10 Feb 2016, 21:36 »

I think Tai's haircut is much better than Faye's, Dora, but to each their own.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #126 on: 10 Feb 2016, 21:59 »

I suppose if they marry, Dora will Tai the knot?

Or knot the Tai.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheCollector

« Reply #127 on: 10 Feb 2016, 22:21 »

I am so happy to see these two are doing so great. Even more so then Claire and Marten really.

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #128 on: 10 Feb 2016, 22:26 »

Great artwork today. I don´t recal Jeph having drawn a face like Tais in the first panel before. So cute.
But what really gets me is how he draws the faces in the last two panels. Very beautiful. Especially the lower lips without outlines but with colour look very good, very natural.
I have read the Wikipedia entry about QC the other day and Jephs quotation about the constant evolution of his artwork there. Todays strip is a perfect example for that. Very good.

As for the ogling: I also think that Tai is much hotter (and has a better haircut) than Faye. So if Dora and Tai keep on ogling each other, I´m perfectly fine with it.  :-D

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #129 on: 10 Feb 2016, 22:34 »

I don't know about other countries but, in the UK, electric showers are common.  As I know that there a different types of electric shower, the popular ones here are the type that take a cold water feed only (so the shower does the heating).

{edit} I'm so used to that that I find it odd that people still use tanked hot water for showering.
Francisco

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #130 on: 10 Feb 2016, 23:25 »

I'm wondering precisely where Jeph is taking this. We've now seen two very strong, enduring and mature couples. I'm wondering if he's setting a baseline against which we can judge other pairings in the strip.

Meanwhile, I think that it is an indication of how good Dora has been for Tai that she's no longer feeling the need to dress down in any way. That said, today's conversation may lead to her working out more. :wink:
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2016, 23:56 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #131 on: 10 Feb 2016, 23:48 »

If we're gonna get some Marten/Claire drama, it should be something new.

I hope it'll be something about Marten's career path.  We haven't learned anything about Marten's situation since the time skip, so there's no way of knowing yet if he's still working at the library and practicing his music, but I'm willing to guess yes to the former and maybe/maybe not for the latter.  Meanwhile, Claire's still moving forward.  She's finished her internship, is now a TA, still likely pursuing a career in library science, still has a set goal in mind and is working on achieving it.  It seems highly unlikely that she would be content to watch Marten continue treading water as he's been doing.  Not that she's going to turn into a nag about it either, but I can't see her not gently nudging him in the direction he wants to go, especially regarding his music.  (For the record, I assumed that Faye's firing would be a catalyst in that--her struggle to find a new job and pay rent, and Marten's lack of savings after buying a new guitar, would lead him to get more serious about the band...which didn't happen.)  There didn't seem to be much concern about The Future when Marten was with Dora; she seemed content to be a small business owner with an aimless boyfriend, but I can't see Claire being the same way.  This relationship has the potential to be more important than Marten/Dora was, but there hasn't been much movement so far.

And there is plenty more to explore about Claire.  I still want to learn more about her life outside of the group.  More about her family (mom especially, not just Clinton), other friends in the area, favorite hangouts around town (bookstores!).  A week or two of day-in-the-life strips similar to the Momo story would be nice.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #132 on: 11 Feb 2016, 00:43 »

I believe that at this point, her brother's name is officially "Clin-ton".
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Martin

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #133 on: 11 Feb 2016, 01:58 »

In my head todays comic has the title "Relationship-Goals"   :-D

I realy like the background. Is this Tais home or do Tai an Dora now life togehter? So many exciting questions since the timeskip. ^^

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #134 on: 11 Feb 2016, 02:04 »

It suddenly occurs to me that Dora seems to be very attracted to 'butch' women. I recall that, upon her very first meeting with Tai, she called her an 'adorable little butch'. That's why I wonder if Tai may choose to emulate some of Faye's new aesthetic.

No real conclusions to draw from this little nugget, it's just an aspect of the character.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

katsmeat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #135 on: 11 Feb 2016, 02:37 »

I don't know about other countries but, in the UK, electric showers are common.  As I know that there a different types of electric shower, the popular ones here are the type that take a cold water feed only (so the shower does the heating).

{edit} I'm so used to that that I find it odd that people still use tanked hot water for showering.
Because electric showers are limited in power, the water is either tepid, or the flow is feeble. Speaking as one whose ideal shower is a scalding Niagra (sod the carbon, I more than make up for it by cycling everywhere)  heat-on-demand electic is little better than one of those solar heated, black plastic bag showers for camping.

electromgneticDstroyosaur

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #136 on: 11 Feb 2016, 04:05 »

I initially misread today's title as "co-ogling."
Just remember the 3 V's:  volume, vehemence, and venom.

comicalArchitect

« Reply #137 on: 11 Feb 2016, 04:48 »

If we're gonna get some Marten/Claire drama, it should be something new.

I hope it'll be something about Marten's career path.  We haven't learned anything about Marten's situation since the time skip, so there's no way of knowing yet if he's still working at the library and practicing his music, but I'm willing to guess yes to the former and maybe/maybe not for the latter.  Meanwhile, Claire's still moving forward.  She's finished her internship, is now a TA, still likely pursuing a career in library science, still has a set goal in mind and is working on achieving it.  It seems highly unlikely that she would be content to watch Marten continue treading water as he's been doing.  Not that she's going to turn into a nag about it either, but I can't see her not gently nudging him in the direction he wants to go, especially regarding his music.  (For the record, I assumed that Faye's firing would be a catalyst in that--her struggle to find a new job and pay rent, and Marten's lack of savings after buying a new guitar, would lead him to get more serious about the band...which didn't happen.)  There didn't seem to be much concern about The Future when Marten was with Dora; she seemed content to be a small business owner with an aimless boyfriend, but I can't see Claire being the same way.  This relationship has the potential to be more important than Marten/Dora was, but there hasn't been much movement so far.

And there is plenty more to explore about Claire.  I still want to learn more about her life outside of the group.  More about her family (mom especially, not just Clinton), other friends in the area, favorite hangouts around town (bookstores!).  A week or two of day-in-the-life strips similar to the Momo story would be nice.
I've had this same thought. I think the comic needs to really dive in to Marten's aimlessness, and Claire seems to be the perfect vehicle for that.

I'm wondering precisely where Jeph is taking this. We've now seen two very strong, enduring and mature couples. I'm wondering if he's setting a baseline against which we can judge other pairings in the strip.
Orrrr, Faye's gonna realize that she's practically the only single one around and go boy-hunting.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #138 on: 11 Feb 2016, 05:11 »

Orrrr, Faye's gonna realize that she's practically the only single one around and go boy-hurting.

FTFY  :lol:
What do you know about Pokémon?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #139 on: 11 Feb 2016, 05:23 »

They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #140 on: 11 Feb 2016, 05:47 »

In a way, boy-hurting implies boy-hunting, as in "finding a boy" at least.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #141 on: 11 Feb 2016, 05:58 »

It's less odd when one takes into account that mixing the hot and cold water at the tap is the norm in the states making showers from the tank much more temperature controllable.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #142 on: 11 Feb 2016, 06:19 »

Well, I guess it's nice to be able to ogle the same person with your significant other...

It's good to share common interests. I imagine Tai's probably moved into Dora's apartment. We know she graduated a while back, so she's not living in the dorms anymore. I can't imagine the library pays that much for her to have a big place of her own, so it's only kind of sensible to move in with her stable girlfriend. And they do seem to be getting along greatly. Even when they have arguments Dora is actually listening now and working on her issues. And Tai is respecting boundaries. And most importantly, they both want this to work. So I'd say they're in a really good position.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #143 on: 11 Feb 2016, 06:24 »

I suppose if they marry, Dora will Tai the knot?

Or knot the Tai.

TAI:"Marten taught me this!"
DORA (awkward silence)
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #144 on: 11 Feb 2016, 07:02 »

What's that Tai's reading?

*Zoom in and enhance!*

Ah. Of course.

My head canon is she's reading one of the Smut Peddler collections.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #145 on: 11 Feb 2016, 08:48 »

Does The Ritual have anything to do with the fact that you always see your next Dunkin Donuts before the last one disappears from your rear view mirror?  Did my brother make that up or did I read it somewhere?
I'll just say this: There are fifty-seven Dunkin Donuts locations within a 5-mile radius of my house. Or at least there were three years ago, last time I was bored enough to count them. Might be a couple more now.
According to the Timmies website there are only 26 withing 10Km of me but then I noticed that they didn't list the gas station mini-Timmies, and THEN I realized they stop at 26.
Google Maps looks like a severe case of acne unless you zoom out to continent level.

Still better coffee than starsucks.
That is not coffee - that is burned coffee beans cooked into a soup with flavored sugar syrup added and hidden under layers of cream, fat and who knows what else.

All these happy-domestic comics are making me feel lonely and depressed. Maybe I should get a cat.

Nah. Cat would hate me.  :grumpypuss:
Cats love me.

I'm allergic.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #146 on: 11 Feb 2016, 09:56 »

I'm so used to that that I find it odd that people still use tanked hot water for showering.

That's because the water flow is severely constrained by the energy required to heat it on the fly - especially in winter.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #147 on: 11 Feb 2016, 12:56 »

It's always good for a couple to have one or two shared interests to keep the harmony

:-D
James The Kugai 

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #148 on: 11 Feb 2016, 13:25 »

Agreed.  And one's SO can help hide the bodies as well.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #149 on: 11 Feb 2016, 14:38 »

According to the Timmies website there are only 26 withing 10Km of me but then I noticed that they didn't list the gas station mini-Timmies, and THEN I realized they stop at 26.
Google Maps looks like a severe case of acne unless you zoom out to continent level.

Still better coffee than starsucks.
That is not coffee - that is burned coffee beans cooked into a soup with flavored sugar syrup added and hidden under layers of cream, fat and who knows what else.

Starbucks does sell regular coffee. It's not bad, but there is a thing called Bridgehead here, and it supersedes all other chains for me now.
I got curious, and Google maps claims there are 28 Tim Hortons in my city...only 2 are on the Quebec side. I barely saw any in Vancouver, either.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up