THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 05:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What Can We Expect for This Week?

Just how many poop 'jokes' can you fit into five strips without it seeming repetitive?
A sequence of five single-panel breakfast dioramas (more cereal for everyone!)
A whole week of Marten, Claire and Faye sitting on the couch and discussing indie music (with bonus Pintsize Hijinx)
Faye and Bubbles talking about nothing in particular whilst fixing Punchbot (again)
Buttrocket makes a spectacular return and several nice men from the NSA are annoyed!
Dora and Tai domesticity including hints about the new library interns
Steve meets up with Emily and Clinton to tell them that he is Emily's government-provided bodyguard
Future!Emily reveals that Sam is the Prophecied Saviour of the World!
Claire and her Woodland Friends debut their new Disney-esque theme song
Jeph does his own 'character profiles' (like the robot guides) for the main cast
Other (specify in post please!)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3206 to 3210 (25 to 29 April 2016)  (Read 54753 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: WCDT Strips 3206 to 3210 (25 to 29 April 2016)
« Reply #50 on: 26 Apr 2016, 09:16 »

Emily did say she doesn't have time for dates right now. No indication she wouldn't be interested when she has the time.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #51 on: 26 Apr 2016, 09:29 »

Only Jeph knows when that will be. Could be months or years down the line, by which time Emily may well have forgotten about Clinton, or some other guy may swoop in for whom she may be willing to make the time. In any case, Clinton is wise not to wait.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #52 on: 26 Apr 2016, 13:56 »

Oh, I'm not saying Clinton should wait, but I hardly think this is Emily not being interested.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

thedevilissix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #53 on: 26 Apr 2016, 13:58 »

Welp! Poor Clinton. That situation is a swift sharp gut punch and is every bit as not at all fun.
From seeing Emily's previous form though, I think she's probably a bit too oblivious to construct any sort of "busy" excuse whih is actually intended to reject. I think there's a fair chance she genuinely means what she says.

thedevilissix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #54 on: 26 Apr 2016, 14:08 »

Clinton needs to start asking out other women soon as he can, and forget about the one who rejected him. Easier said than done I know, but the man who doesn't get proactive in the dating arena is doomed to end up alone, since the vast majority of women still don't ask men out.

Plus, a man like Clinton, with his looks and lack of social skills, definitely can't afford to wait around to be asked out; it is highly unlikely to happen.  He also needs to start building up a thick skin and high tolerance for rejection, since he's likely to get it a lot.

It's sound practical advice I agree for Clinton to put himself out there (in it to win it and all that) but I would hope that such a thing wouldn't turn into a means for Clinton or anyone else for that matter to beat themselves up if things don't happen right away in spite of doing everything possible.
In Nina Simone's words, "It Be's That Way Sometimes" - sometimes at least temporarily, everyone really is just taken. But it is temporary!
In events like that, I think it's a very healthy and helpful idea for the person  to take care of themselves first and feed their self-esteem with work they love, exercise, friends, family....I think potential significant others gravitate towards that kind of happiness and self-assurance more than might be assumed. And honestly, I don't think anyone should ever feel like time is running out. Ever. Or that they risk being alone forever. I would hope no one should ever have to feel like that.

« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2016, 14:15 by thedevilissix »

mad hands murphy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #55 on: 26 Apr 2016, 17:17 »

Clinton needs to start asking out other women soon as he can, and forget about the one who rejected him. Easier said than done I know, but the man who doesn't get proactive in the dating arena is doomed to end up alone, since the vast majority of women still don't ask men out.

Plus, a man like Clinton, with his looks and lack of social skills, definitely can't afford to wait around to be asked out; it is highly unlikely to happen.  He also needs to start building up a thick skin and high tolerance for rejection, since he's likely to get it a lot.

clint doesn't seem generally lonely or in need of a girl, it seemed like he just caught feelings for emily

if he isn't generally looking for someone, he shouldn't wildly overcompensate just because it didn't work out with emily.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #56 on: 26 Apr 2016, 17:25 »

Ah, the talented and wonderful Nina Simone with sage advice.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #57 on: 26 Apr 2016, 19:06 »

Oh, fuck you, Clinton.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #58 on: 26 Apr 2016, 19:19 »

The old proverb is: "He who hesitates is lost".

Alternatively "He who hesitates, masturbates" :meh:
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

brightwings00

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #59 on: 26 Apr 2016, 19:20 »

Hoo boy.

Claire, your assigned reading for the week is Emma by Jane Austen. Clinton, your homework is a major slap upside the head.

(Also, "asshole"? I've never heard guys use that against girls--is Clinton misgendering her?)

Now someone give me a banana smoothie.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #60 on: 26 Apr 2016, 19:39 »

That's a spectacular reaction to a routine rejection. I wonder what's going on in his head or in his history to account for it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #61 on: 26 Apr 2016, 19:40 »

Emily did say she doesn't have time for dates right now. No indication she wouldn't be interested when she has the time.

Often times when a woman has told me "I don't have time to date, I have to focus on myself/work/school etc." what it really meant was "I'm not interested in dating you. Sorry."

Really, everyone is busy, but few are so very busy that they absolutely cannot carve out time to date somebody they are interested in.  I know too many people who work multiple jobs and juggle all sorts of responsibilities, yet still manage a relationship.

That said, Clinton really felt the rejection in this one.  Damn.  He'll owe Emily an apology later, but I'm sure she feels just as bad for how this turned out as well.

Analogy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #62 on: 26 Apr 2016, 19:44 »

"I don't have time for dates right now" is girl-language for "I don't want to hurt your feelings too bad 'cause I think you're a nice guy and I hate confrontation so I'm gonna try and make it not sound like a complete rejection." This has the unfortunate effect of leaving the guy with a shred of hope, making it all the more painful when he sees her with another guy and he realizes that, no, she has plenty of time for dates when she actually wants to, she just doesn't have time for dates with him.

Source: This has happened to me many, many times. Hopefully when it happens to Clinton he won't get angry and confrontational about it.

Analogy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #63 on: 26 Apr 2016, 19:56 »

I don't think it's terrible unreasonable for Clinton to be angry right now, if you look at the emotional rollercoaster he's just been through. Before this encounter he was probably like "yeah, I like Emily, but I'm pretty sure I blew it and that ship has sailed." Hence, he hasn't tried to interact with her in months. Now Claire shoves him into the coffee shop and is like "you should totally ask her out again." Clinton at this point is like "well, maybe my sister knows something I don't?" and gets his hopes up all over again. Only for those hopes to get crushed again. Claire didn't know something he didn't, put him in this situation anyway, and now he's been crushed again by something that he had already decided to put behind him and only allowed to come back because he thought his sister knew what she was doing. That's really hurtful. He has every right to be angry right now.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #64 on: 26 Apr 2016, 20:00 »

(Also, "asshole"? I've never heard guys use that against girls--is Clinton misgendering her?)
I've heard it.  I suspect that Jeph also wanted to stay away from such gendered insults such as "you bitch".   Either would work for this comic, and a less problematic insult was used.  Clinton is angry, not malicious.  he's not  Mary

"I don't have time for dates right now" is girl-language for <snip>
That is almost certainly how Clinton is reading it.  But this *is* Emily.  She is rather literal-minded, and says exactly what she thinks.  She hasn't shown any aptitude for any sort of code that doesn't involve computers.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Roxtar

• Larger than most fish
  • Slacker
« Reply #65 on: 26 Apr 2016, 20:04 »

That's a spectacular reaction to a routine rejection. I wonder what's going on in his head or in his history to account for it.
do you have a sibling with a propensity for meddling?
it gets really old, really fast. My sister tried to engineer encounters for me with numerous of her friends who were clearly not my type (no similar interests, vastly different lifestyles) and it got to the point where I'd just stop going to the parties she'd plan because I didn't want to be prodded into interactions with people I had nothing in common with other than we were both single. It's really irritating when your sibling constantly thinks they know what is best for you and manipulates you into doing things.
You told us about your trigger. people informing others of their triggers is one of my triggers. please refrain from doing that again. Oh, I've just triggered myself... which sounds more enjoyable than it really is.

mad hands murphy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #66 on: 26 Apr 2016, 20:05 »

SAVAGE

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #67 on: 26 Apr 2016, 20:10 »

Hoo boy.

Claire, your assigned reading for the week is Emma by Jane Austen. Clinton, your homework is a major slap upside the head.

Now someone give me a banana smoothie.

Good assignment for Claire, but I think Clinton's not wrong. Yeah, he could have said it nicer, but Claire's behaviour is annoyingly patronizing and manipulative. She didn't leave him any choice or a way out, said that he'd wanted to ask Emily out for months in front of her after dragging him into the CoD. They do studies together, he could have asked her whenever he wanted, it's not as if he didn't see her for months. (Also, note that he's not blaming Emily - she had to shoot him down in public.)

(also, asshole is gender-neutral! Although you are right, I've only heard of girls behaving 'like an asshole'. It's a more precise insult than most that come to mind, though, and I think a gendered (female) insult would be worse. Jackass would work, but that sounds male to my ears as well).

Also, as an older sister with a younger brother - how does she even think this could be a good idea? Or is this sitcom-logic, I can't tell.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #68 on: 26 Apr 2016, 20:13 »

I personally use it, because it's applicable (women have assholes too), and it's far less gendered than "bitch" or other epithets. (Yes, it has male connotations from society's use of it, but that's mainly due to "bitch" being used for women, and there's "prick" for a gendered epithet against men.)

However, that doesn't mean that Clinton's not misgendering her. He doesn't seem to have the level of awareness that would make him specifically avoid "bitch" as the automatic epithet to use against a woman...

And, I do agree that Claire really did do a bad job of this, in a way that was disrespectful to both Clinton and Emily. But, Clinton is being quite an asshole himself. They're both in the wrong.

Edit: Also, "jack-ass" actually is gendered. It literally means "male donkey". "She-ass", however, would be the female version (now outdated, "jenny" is the preferred term for female donkeys).
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2016, 20:23 by bhtooefr »

creatureshock

• Plantmonster
« Reply #69 on: 26 Apr 2016, 20:14 »

Maybe if he called her a dick he was.  Even then, it's an insult.  Wasn't meant to be nice.

brightwings00

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #70 on: 26 Apr 2016, 20:21 »

Good assignment for Claire, but I think Clinton's not wrong.

Completely agreed--I'm 100% on board with Clinton's argument, but his anger to me is way over the top and, frankly, slightly terrifying. It's not the end of the world if a girl shoots him down (as politely as possible, even).

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #71 on: 26 Apr 2016, 20:24 »

I wish there were an extra panel that's just Clin-ton dropping a mic.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #72 on: 26 Apr 2016, 20:27 »

I don't think he has a history, which is one reason this is hitting him so hard.
And, IMO, it's very likely given his tendency to come on way too strong - with Hannelore, et al - that the few occasions where he has have all also resulted in rejection.
A small data set, with uniformly negative results, tends to lead to bad and/or pessimistic conclusions.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #73 on: 26 Apr 2016, 20:28 »

Over-the-top reaction but in the end... I completely agree with Clinton considering all the previous points raised by all of you fellas.

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS
« Reply #74 on: 26 Apr 2016, 20:31 »

I don't think it's unreasonable for Clinton to be mad. This is a guy who needed a lot of time to psyche himself up for his first date, and still freaked out as soon as he actually met up with her; he likes to have time to mentally prepare himself for social interactions, at least those of the dating variety (see 2933). Even after he got a kiss on the cheek after their first date, he was still scared to ask her out again, and is visibly nervous when Claire arranges for them to meet up by surprise (see 2997). Even though that interaction goes well, he is still scared to make another move. Clearly, he is an extremely introverted person who is uncomfortable with romantic interactions and impromptu meetups.

Now, Claire has tricked him into another surprise meeting, and instead of this encounter having the appearance of an innocent meet-up, Claire says to him in front of Emily that the purpose of this meeting is for him to ask her out again. This is a nightmare for introverts like Clinton. A minute ago, he had been spending the day with his sister; while they may fight from time to time, he's known Claire his whole life, and is probably very comfortable around her socially. Now he's been kicked out of his comfort zone with zero warning. He had no chance to mentally prepare to interact with somebody who makes him extremely nervous, and he can't even play this off as a meeting between friends because of Claire's comments. He has to ask her out, which he hadn't wanted to do over the last few months for two reasons:

1. He isn't sure if he wants to go steady with Emily

2. He is afraid of rejection

Therefore, he is very stressed out & uncomfortable when Claire puts him on the spot. Then, he gets shut down, in front of his sister to boot. I know Emily tried to let him down gently, but for someone as insecure as Clinton, there is no such thing as a breakup which feels good. So Clinton is currently angry at having been set up, stressed over having to interact with Emily with no warning, and embarrassed at being rejected. On top of that, he learns that Claire had no idea whether things were going to work out, and decided to force the issue anyway.

So Clinton feels like Claire threw him into a situation way outside his comfort zone without asking, and it went poorly on top of that. Is Clinton being a jerk, and will he regret what he said later? Yes. But right now he's hurt and lashing out. I don't want to defend his actions, but as an extremely introverted person I can totally understand how Clinton is feeling right now.

Analogy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #75 on: 26 Apr 2016, 20:33 »

It's not the end of the world if a girl shoots him down (as politely as possible, even).

He's not angry about being rejected. What happened here was he had already resolved to put his thing for Emily behind him, he already knew nothing was going to happen there, except Claire decided to put him in a situation where he had to bring it back up again, she encourages him as if she knows it's going to go well for him, and that makes his hopes go way up. Only for Emily to shoot them back down again. This isn't a normal rejection, normally you're prepared for the possibility of a no and you don't invest emotionally in the outcome. Clinton is having his hopes brought up, and it's causing a lot more emotional investment than normal, making it hit a lot harder when Emily turns him down. He's angry because of the way Claire inflated his hopes, he's not angry that Emily turned him down.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #76 on: 26 Apr 2016, 20:34 »

Not feeling much sympathy for Clinton at the moment. He'd broken the ice with Emily, and even had a nice honest moment with her where they shared something of themselves. Then he obviously couldn't be bothered to keep it going - finding out something about her life (like where she was currently working), and putting in the effort to make contact, even (or especially) if the contacts weren't formal dates. IOW, building the relationship. Instead he let things refreeze to the point that asking her out again was as stiff and blind as a first date ask. Dumb.

Having been shot down, he then takes it out on Claire. Look, getting shot down is something that happens to guys. It hurts, but you should deal with it gracefully. Lashing out at someone else (like a sibling who can't just cut you off for being a jerk) is uncalled for and not justified. Clinton owes Claire an apology.

WRT the "meddling sibling" complaint against Claire, the fact is that Clinton actually wants to make things work with Emily, even if he's clueless about how to go about it. Claire is not just pushing him into some random gal-pal; this is someone Clinton kind of has some hots for. It would be meddling if she tried setting him up with a random someone. But not here.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #77 on: 26 Apr 2016, 20:49 »

Now, Claire has tricked him into another surprise meeting, and instead of this encounter having the appearance of an innocent meet-up, Claire says to him in front of Emily that the purpose of this meeting is for him to ask her out again.

The only reason that exchange is awkward is because Clinton himself makes it so. Instead of reacting to Emily's presence by acting like she isn't there and lobbing an angry accusation at Claire, Clinton could have taken the opportunity to chat Emily up, and try to recreate their connection. Then, after that, he could suggest a get-together. He's obviously clueless about this stuff, but you don't have to turn everything into a do-or-die date ask. WRT the embarrassing "you set me up!" conversation in public, Clinton should have held that till later. It's possible to do. Clinton is the one who insisted on having it right away, and in humiliating circumstances. (BTW, it's pretty rude to Emily for him to talk to Claire that way in front of her. And yes, he's the one who initiated the conversation.)

Analogy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #78 on: 26 Apr 2016, 20:52 »

Not feeling much sympathy for Clinton at the moment.

Probably because you're not bothering to properly empathize with him. You're acting as if he could have just magically pulled a bunch of social skills out of a hat and made the best of the situation. He's not capable of that, he doesn't have those skills. You need to put yourself in the shoes of a weird, introverted, nerdy dude with little to no romantic experience, and experience that interaction he just had through those eyes rather than your own.

Having to take an active role in interpersonal relationships as an introvert is exhausting. Every interaction you have requires an investment of your emotional energy, and you become very conservative about how you spend it because you want to get the most positive results out of the limited amount of energy you have to spend. The idea of having to invest your emotional energy into something that is very likely to have a negative result is terrifying. The fact that you have no experience to fall back on, increasing the odds that what you're about to do isn't going to work, pushes things into "why bother, at least I know my cat will love me" territory.

Introverts need to be able to approach social interactions on their own terms. Claire should have known this about her own brother.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #79 on: 26 Apr 2016, 21:01 »

Who said it was routine?

Claire put two people on the spot for a rather personal conversation, one that can be difficult at the best of times and you're alone, even more so when you're put on the spot like that and forced to have that conversation and the added pressure of an audience.

I can see Clinton's point of view and utterly agree with him, I am a younger brother with an older sister and when you have someone interfering in your life for your whole life, its frustrating, irritating and that anger does build up and it can lead to exploding at them.

Claire put her brother and Emily in a pretty bad situation without any forethought of what might go wrong, its one thing to make mistakes in your own life, but when you mess with someone else's, that is asking for trouble.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #80 on: 26 Apr 2016, 21:06 »

I'm actually going to agree with Clinton in this, which is not something I would normally do. It's not the rejection that is the issue, it is the manipulation. One thing I can not abide in other people is manipulative bullshit, even when done with "good intentions." Actually, that's even worse than when it is malicious. It reeks of condescension. "I know what's best for you, so I'm going to trick you into doing the thing I think you should do." Was his reaction extreme? Sure, but not unreasonable. He didn't threaten her, he just told her to fuck off and wait until he actually asks for help, which is what she should have done, what any adult should do.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

creatureshock

• Plantmonster
« Reply #81 on: 26 Apr 2016, 21:08 »

How often do you get rejected that it is routine?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #82 on: 26 Apr 2016, 21:10 »

Rejection is painful. If you personally can simply shrug it off, then I'm impressed. Not everyone has that ability, however.

Clinton will most probably regret his harsh words later, but it might still be better for both of them if she doesn't spring this kind of thing on him without at least some warning.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

mad hands murphy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #83 on: 26 Apr 2016, 21:13 »

I wish there were an extra panel that's just Clin-ton dropping a mic.

I was really glad he told Claire off, her behavior was atrocious.

If someone ever set me up like that I would cut them out of my life family or no. There is absolutely zero reason why i should ever have to spend my life worrying that some innocent random afternoon outing will suddenly turn into another social ambush.

Zebetite

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #84 on: 26 Apr 2016, 21:16 »

Matchmakers can die in a fire. Maybe Clinton was too angry here, but his reaction is 100% justified. I've been in this same boat before, and not once has the matchmaker owned up to their behavior when it went wrong.

You can call him out on his anger, but he is in the right here.

Dagoonite

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #85 on: 26 Apr 2016, 21:17 »

I'm actually going to agree with Clinton in this, which is not something I would normally do. It's not the rejection that is the issue, it is the manipulation. One thing I can not abide in other people is manipulative bullshit, even when done with "good intentions." Actually, that's even worse than when it is malicious. It reeks of condescension. "I know what's best for you, so I'm going to trick you into doing the thing I think you should do." Was his reaction extreme? Sure, but not unreasonable. He didn't threaten her, he just told her to fuck off and wait until he actually asks for help, which is what she should have done, what any adult should do.
Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, Clinton's actually justified for being pissed off.  That said, I don't think he's expressing it well, but I can also understand that, too.

Clinton's been, in his own horrible way, really supportive to Claire this entire time.  And yes, Claire meant good things, but you know what they say about the road to hell and gumdrops.  When someone's been put through an emotional wringer like that, they often don't see the positive efforts and lash out.  So, yeah, I can completely understand Clinton here, and applaud that he didn't just think about himself, but Emily as well.

Of course, he might just feel like crap about what he said when he calms down.  Maybe a day or two later.  He might double down, just because he seems the type to know he's wrong but stick to his guns.  A lot of folks are like that.

Holy crap, no wonder Clinton irritates me so much.  He's me with a prosthetic hand when I was twenty!  I need 20 CCs of drunk, stat!

Roxtar

• Larger than most fish
  • Slacker
« Reply #86 on: 26 Apr 2016, 21:18 »

It would be meddling if she tried setting him up with a random someone. But not here.

it's still meddling.
You told us about your trigger. people informing others of their triggers is one of my triggers. please refrain from doing that again. Oh, I've just triggered myself... which sounds more enjoyable than it really is.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #87 on: 26 Apr 2016, 21:28 »

Well, anyone who thinks that Clinton's reaction is over the top or surprising has plenty of food for thought in this thread. Judging by the emotional reactions, his situation is far from unique. I've never been in that situation myself (either side of the equation). I'm actually slightly surprised, to be honest.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

creatureshock

• Plantmonster
« Reply #88 on: 26 Apr 2016, 21:30 »

Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, Clinton's actually justified for being pissed off.  That said, I don't think he's expressing it well, but I can also understand that, too.

I think he expressed it perfectly fine.  He got it out of his system and gave Claire no way to think she did the right thing, which she didn't do at all. 

Of course, he might just feel like crap about what he said when he calms down. 

He probably will, but he was better off getting it out of his system now then letting it fester.  People let things fester for too long when they really need to get it off their chests and be done with it.

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #89 on: 26 Apr 2016, 21:31 »

Speaking as someone with a similar set of social skills and dating experience to Clinton, (not many, and I typically act awkward and uncomfortable on the first date and don't make it to the second,) I can totally empathize with him.
I have gotten good at laughing shit off and not taking it personally, but I still absolutely hate being manipulated. When people do it in the way Claire did here, they're basically saying "You aren't smart or capable enough to run your life, so I'm going to do it for you without your consent or approval". What Claire did was relatively benign, but if Clinton's been on the recieving end of such manipulation before (Or its more sinister cousin, "You aren't smart or capable enough to realize I'm tricking you, so I'll take you for everything you have,") it could easily trigger a lot of pent up frustration.

On top of that, he was clearly uncomfortable with the whole Emily 'Situation' to begin with, and Claire's manipulation made the situation significantly worse.
Don't mind me.

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #90 on: 26 Apr 2016, 21:41 »

Well, anyone who thinks that Clinton's reaction is over the top or surprising has plenty of food for thought in this thread. Judging by the emotional reactions, his situation is far from unique. I've never been in that situation myself (either side of the equation). I'm actually slightly surprised, to be honest.

You know, I understand Clinton's situation, having been there myself, and I think Claire was kind of out of line. That said, Clinton is and always has been kind of an immature shithead. If he blew his chance back then, he doesn't deserve Emily now. Claire may technically owe him an apology, but if Clinton's expecting one, he'd best write it off.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2016, 21:51 by haikupoet »

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #91 on: 26 Apr 2016, 21:50 »

You know, I understand Clinton's situation, having been there myself, and I think Claire was kind of out of line. That said, Clinton is and always has been kind of an immature shithead. If he blew his chance back then, he doesn't deserve Emily now. Claire may technically owe him an apology, but if Clinton's expecting one, he'd best write it off.

While I do agree on the 'immature shithead' front (this is the first time I think he's actually justified in blowing up at anybody), it's not a question if he 'deserves' Emily. They had good chemistry, and she seemed to like him, just as he seemed to like her back, but I don't think Clinton's really ready or actually wants a relationship with Emily. Just as Emily doesn't want a relationship, otherwise she might have asked him out.

Claire does not only owe him an apology, she owes him a change in behaviour as well; that's not how you treat your brother, no matter how funny it is to bully him.

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #92 on: 26 Apr 2016, 21:53 »

Yes-ish. But hink of it from Emily's standpoint -- she's strange as hell, but she still has human emotions. How do you know she isn't giving him the brushoff because she felt rejected the first time around and doesn't want to give him a second chance? You can't really blame her for that. (Or at least that's what I tend to assume women think about me.)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #93 on: 26 Apr 2016, 21:58 »

That said, Clinton is and always has been kind of an immature shithead. If he blew his chance back then, he doesn't deserve Emily now.

Of course Clinton is immature, he's in his early twenties, he is probably still in college. Given how far up his own backside he can be at times and with the added in built deal breaker that is his hand, I highly doubt Clinton has much experience with dealing with the opposite sex other than his mother and sister. Emotionally, he is no worse than Tai on a bad day, or Dora on a terrible day. But add to that Clinton's lack of experience and that this was the first relationship he had and in his eyes, it's over before it began, from his frame of reference this probably akin to the Hindenburg going down in flames. Because it's the only experience he has.

creatureshock

• Plantmonster
« Reply #94 on: 26 Apr 2016, 22:02 »

Yes-ish. But hink of it from Emily's standpoint -- she's strange as hell, but she still has human emotions. How do you know she isn't giving him the brushoff because she felt rejected the first time around and doesn't want to give him a second chance? You can't really blame her for that. (Or at least that's what I tend to assume women think about me.)

I doubt seriously she even gave it a second thought.  It's not like either one of them has a deep dating history, plus the fact that she admits her life is a little too packed right now to handle a relationship, I would say she chalked it up as a one time thing.  Plus we have no idea if she ever reached out to him for another date, which is something perfectly acceptable.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #95 on: 26 Apr 2016, 22:39 »

How often do you get rejected that it is routine?

I thank my wife over and over for making it possible for me to escape dating.

Norah Vincent, in "Self Made Man", wrote about her experiments with a male presentation in different environments, including trying to date women. Before long, she turned to a guy friend who knew about her project and exclaimed How do you handle all this rejection?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

derris_kharlan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #96 on: 26 Apr 2016, 22:42 »

Clinton is absolutely right that Claire's well intentioned interference is obnoxious.  His reaction seems to be over the top, but perhaps there is a history of meddling and he's finally reached a breaking point.  While I do feel sorry that Claire had this blow up in her face, I am somewhat relieved that she got called out on her behavior.  I actually find her to be kind of annoying as a character.  But I hope Clinton calms down and apologizes for the degree to which he blew up at her.
Shel kek nem ron.

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #97 on: 26 Apr 2016, 22:55 »

Clinton was always angry before when Claire has meddled. He just didn't say anything because it worked out or he was distracted by something else. This time it didn't and so he finally said what he wanted to say before.

Also, "gendered insults" seriously? As if it matters what "gender" an insult has. This is just getting ridiculous.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #98 on: 26 Apr 2016, 23:03 »

OK, I get that Clinton is upset here about how Emily shot him down, and I understand him being upset with Claire for bringing him in for that wee bit of unintended public embarrassment over it, but seriously???

That was a bit over the top.  I know Claire can be a bit clueless over certain things, but even she wasn't expecting that, and Clintons reaction, while understandable about being shot down like that, was totally OOT, though I wouldn't go as far as saying not completely unexpected considering how he's behaved in the past.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #99 on: 26 Apr 2016, 23:05 »

Also, "gendered insults" seriously? As if it matters what "gender" an insult has. This is just getting ridiculous.

Yes, seriously.  We go into such matters in the Serious Discussion part of the forum.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up