THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which video game would you like to have a QC Mod?

The Sims
Civilisation/Age of Empires
X-Com
Fallout
Pokémon
Legend of Zelda
Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball
Kerbal Space Program
RWBY - Grimm Eclipse
Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter
Other (please specify in comment)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3216 to 3220 (9th to 13th May 2016)  (Read 47262 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT Strips 3216 to 3220 (9th to 13th May 2016)
« Reply #100 on: 11 May 2016, 19:15 »

When this came up before, and people were saying the Marten/Claire relationship was running too smoothly, one of the trans people here said in effect "If we can't have this in reality, at least let us enjoy it in fiction".

Global Moderator Comment However tasteful and experience-based, we've found that the only way to maintain a clear welcome for trans forum members is to avoid details of Claire's transition status.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #101 on: 11 May 2016, 20:18 »

It appears the people predicting this becoming a date between Clinton and the Beerista may be right*.

*The prerequisite for a Clinton date being disaster.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #102 on: 11 May 2016, 20:24 »

What.

W H A T

CLINTON WHAT DID YOU DO

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #103 on: 11 May 2016, 20:25 »

Her hair even changed color.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #104 on: 11 May 2016, 20:25 »

Well that escalated quickly.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #105 on: 11 May 2016, 20:27 »

Okay, speculation for the cause of the fire:

Dolphin Jack brought a bison to the bar to jack off. Jacking off bison, of course, is a delicate procedure that must be done by candlelight. Unfortunately, the Beerista had just poured a pint glass of 400-proof Blood God just as the bison achieved climax and kicked over the candle, which ignited the Blood God.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #106 on: 11 May 2016, 20:28 »

Well, I can safely say that was the hardest I've ever laughed at a building going up in flames.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #107 on: 11 May 2016, 20:31 »

It appears the people predicting this becoming a date between Clinton and the Beerista may be right*.

*The prerequisite for a Clinton date being disaster.
At least he didn't get punched this time.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #108 on: 11 May 2016, 20:33 »

Yet.

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #109 on: 11 May 2016, 20:40 »

Whoa what just happened!?!?!?!?!

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #110 on: 11 May 2016, 20:41 »

wut

I note with interest that Clinton's clothing is tousled but still in place, while Mlle Harpoon is in a blankie. If there'd been an assignation, the proper way to portray it would be Harpoonova in Clinton's shirt. Maybe she's the dom in this setup, and made Clinton "sing for his supper" so to speak. So the two were only halfway through their encounter when the fire started, and thus she was fully disrobed while he was merely disheveled.

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #111 on: 11 May 2016, 20:42 »

wut

I note with interest that Clinton's clothing is tousled but still in place, while Mlle Harpoon is in a blankie. If there'd been an assignation, the proper way to portray it would be Harpoonova in Clinton's shirt. Maybe she's the dom in this setup, and made Clinton "sing for his supper" so to speak. So the two were only halfway through their encounter when the fire started, and thus she was fully disrobed while he was merely disheveled.

I believe that's a shock blanket. The fire department would have wrapped that around her at some point. I don't think she's disrobed in the slightest.

Her hair even changed color.

I think it just looks like a different shade because of the light of the fire

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #112 on: 11 May 2016, 20:43 »

wut

They're still at the bar. Note the bus stop immediately outside the (now burning) bar.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #113 on: 11 May 2016, 20:47 »

I believe that's a shock blanket. The fire department would have wrapped that around her at some point. I don't think she's disrobed in the slightest.

Then why is Clinton in such disarray? Where are his glasses? Why is the tattoo arm bared and not the other arm?

Whatever happened, nice foreshadowing on Jeph's part with the Titanic/iceberg image.

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #114 on: 11 May 2016, 20:52 »

Then why is Clinton in such disarray? Where are his glasses? Why is the tattoo arm bared and not the other arm?

Whatever happened, nice foreshadowing on Jeph's part with the Titanic/iceberg image.

How's about someone tosses you in a building that goes up in flames when you think you're going to have an uneventful evening, and see how put together you look when you make it out into the street!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #115 on: 11 May 2016, 20:57 »

Let's just go with shenanigans and leave it at that.

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #116 on: 11 May 2016, 21:02 »

When this came up before, and people were saying the Marten/Claire relationship was running too smoothly, one of the trans people here said in effect "If we can't have this in reality, at least let us enjoy it in fiction".

However tasteful and experience-based, we've found that the only way to maintain a clear welcome for trans forum members is to avoid details of Claire's transition status.

We are talking about an alternate Earth with full AI, Nanotech, Bio-mod creatures that can fly and have cloaking, fully movable robot bodies and hands, as well as any number of other scientific breakthroughs that we have no comparison to. People complaining about how far a girl has come in the transgender process is a bit presumptive when you factor all that in. I mean, it is entirely likely that she has used some of that science (which seems to be readily available for minimal cost,barring AI frames) to modify herself as much (or as little) as she wants. It's kind of like the people moaning about capacitive-touch with Cllinton's robot hand and his phone, seriously...ROBOT HAND with full motion, I think we can assume the minor issue of his hand being recognized by his smartphone is a bit 'under the bridge' at this point.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #117 on: 11 May 2016, 21:03 »

Will this be the last we see of Eyebrows Lady?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #118 on: 11 May 2016, 21:06 »

wut

wut
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

wlewisiii

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #119 on: 11 May 2016, 21:07 »

Most of my cameras don't do video.  Only stills.  One even only takes single sheets of film at a time.

I really need to get out my 4x5 again...
Emily is the Avatar.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #120 on: 11 May 2016, 21:15 »

That's what happens when you don't serve water.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #121 on: 11 May 2016, 21:17 »

I second this, and I would be both amused and annoyed if Jeph never actually explains it.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #122 on: 11 May 2016, 21:20 »

They are pretty awesome.  Even though mine doesn't have all the movements (it's a speedgraphic), it's amazing to be able to shoot 4x5 hand-held.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

wlewisiii

« Reply #123 on: 11 May 2016, 21:28 »

They are pretty awesome.  Even though mine doesn't have all the movements (it's a speedgraphic), it's amazing to be able to shoot 4x5 hand-held.

Mine is a Speed Graphic as well,  though I hacked the front standard to gain full movements on that.  Of course I usually run into shots that could use rear movements instead...

Fun stuff that digital can't quite do yet, especially with my 1912 Bausch & Loumb 5x7 f/6.3 Tessar mounted.
Emily is the Avatar.

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #124 on: 11 May 2016, 21:50 »

God DAMN IT Barry.

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #125 on: 11 May 2016, 22:31 »

God DAMN IT Barry.

It must have been Barry, right?

And I'm calling it now: considering how Marten and Faye met, Clinton and Barlady will become roommates.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #126 on: 11 May 2016, 23:00 »

If that wasn't bad enough I think Clinton missed the bus again. 

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #127 on: 11 May 2016, 23:12 »

hahahahahahohshit.   :laugh:

Eastrim

• Plantmonster
« Reply #128 on: 11 May 2016, 23:24 »

That was unexpected.

I've been missing out on like buttons? Really?
That is of course, the correct answer, both logically and according to Occam's Razor. As such, it has no place here.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #129 on: 11 May 2016, 23:28 »

Wait... what?!?

Okay, I'm not going to jump the gun or anything. We know nothing about this situation or how the fire started. However, given that it followed Clinton wishing for an uneventful evening, we can safely come to two conclusions:
  • Clinton's luck is supernaturally bad;
  • Clinton isn't allowed to talk anymore.
I've got a feeling that the butterfly effect is now underway. Barlady is on the path to becoming someone's roomie, a barrista at CoD and a regular cast member.

Will she end up with Clinton? Who knows? She is still largely an unknown quantity. I do feel safe in predicting that Clinton will feel responsible for her (irrespective of his actual level of culpability for the fire) and may appoint himself her protector/agent.

Being close to ground zero at a sudden and intense fire (and I sense a short-out in the beer pumps) is not conducive to sartorial elegance. Barlady may have even been caught in the initial flare-up, given the shock blanket!

Possibile Future Line:
BARLADY: "You risked your life to save me. I owe you."
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Dust

« Reply #130 on: 12 May 2016, 01:22 »

Damn, Barry; that moose really wanted payback. On the bright side, Clinton won't have to pay for a ride home - if the local constabulary give lifts, that is.

blt

« Reply #131 on: 12 May 2016, 02:57 »

Respirator, or AI chassis in the last panel do you think?  I know we've seen human firefighters multiple times prior to this, but now that AI are more at the forefront, I find it hard to imagine that a world with human shaped warbots doesn't also have purpose built AI chassis for walking into fires to pull people out.

We can save the squishier firefighters for pulling Raven out of vents or looking good for Hanners (speaking of where has she been recently?).
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #132 on: 12 May 2016, 03:06 »

Huh, never thought of that.

Especially with the hardened AI drives, even in the case of a complete chassis failure, it's more likely that an AI would survive firefighting duties.

Persephiroth

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #133 on: 12 May 2016, 03:30 »

However tasteful and experience-based, we've found that the only way to maintain a clear welcome for trans forum members is to avoid details of Claire's transition status.

It's not that the relationship itself shouldn't go smoothly. It's that regardless of how alright Marten is with the transition, they would still deal with aspects a typical cis-hetero couple would not. To erase that, coupled with Claire's portrayal as "pretty and passable", makes it a bit unrealistic to me. There are more things to do with a transition than dealing with genitals. I, personally, have had less problems with that aspect than anything else.

I appreciate "let us enjoy it in fiction", but I also don't think it's good to set a precedent of "to be happy, a trans woman must be X, Y, and Z", you know? Some might say that I should just be happy there is a transwoman in a relationship in the comic, and I am, but that doesn't mean I cannot criticize the portrayal. I do like Claire, and I like their relationship, but even so, the things I said are valid.

I also make this point as a transwoman who is pretty cis-adjacent herself.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2016, 09:10 by Persephiroth »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #134 on: 12 May 2016, 03:37 »

However, when there are many possibilities, and a writer has to decide on one (for whatever reason), there will always be people who would have preferred something different.  Enough people have appreciated Jeph's approach of not making Claire's status visually obvious to validate his choice in this instance.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Persephiroth

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #135 on: 12 May 2016, 03:42 »

It doesn't necessarily need to be visually obvious. There are plenty of aspects to making a transition realistic even if you aren't visibly trans.

Yes, choices must be made in any given portrayal of something, however, research ahould also be done to make sure that portrayal is accurate to the people being represented. I don't know what Jeph plans to do with Claire in the future, so I can't claim he hasn't done that. However, thus far in her portrayal, I can point out, as a transwoman, pieces that I have a problem with.

I write, and I get that complaints about characters can be annoying or meaningless, but that doesn't always mean they are illegitimate. I didn't post here to start an argument, rather to state certain misgivings I have.

Honestly, I'm just tired of seeing two portrayals of transwomen-- not passable, unhappy murderer/ murder victim, or passable, pretty, and happy because cis-looking.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #136 on: 12 May 2016, 04:45 »

Thank you for your perspective (and awesome username), Persephiroth! Welcome to the forum.

Also I just noticed that Clinton is one of those strange people that delete their texts. Either that or he's never texted or been texted by Claire before.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #137 on: 12 May 2016, 04:50 »

Clinton: Your finest beer please.

Beerista: One Antarctic Nail Ale coming right up.

*Clintons wallet self-combusts and quickly immolates the bar*
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Wildroses

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #138 on: 12 May 2016, 05:12 »

Mmm...I'm not going to assume Clinton and the lady I think of as Bartender-Faye as they have identical surly attitudes to patrons of their beverages were making out. Jeph might just be wanting us to think that and there is an intricate and innocent explanation for why she's dressed in a blanket and Clinton is disheveled that will play out over the next fortnight.

I just remembered Faye's house burnt down not long after meeting Marten. Man, this woman really is like Faye. I'll be officially unnerved if she ends up moving in with Clinton.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #139 on: 12 May 2016, 05:18 »

I really can't understand why everyone is speculating that the fire found Clinton and Barlady in bed together or something. The reason why Clinton looks dishevelled and Barlady is in a blanket is because they've just escaped a serious fire that probably involved being swept along with a horde of panicking drunks. It is quite possible that Barlady is in shock; after all her place of work (and possibly abode) is now a fireball! In such a case, temperature regulation is a vitally important element in stopping her from suffering knock-on effects. Depending on what caused the fire, it is also possible that some of Barlady's clothing was damaged so a blanket might be necessary for modesty too.

I can only assume that everyone is looking at this through shipping spectacles which is ironic because it's usually me who's the hopeless romantic!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

dexeron

• My Twitter
« Reply #140 on: 12 May 2016, 05:42 »

That's what happens when you don't serve water.

That's what happens when you give Clin-ton a beer.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #141 on: 12 May 2016, 06:10 »

Welcome, insightful new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #142 on: 12 May 2016, 06:15 »

Barlady is in a blanket because it's January in Massachusetts and she's freakin' cold despite the raging bonfire across the street, and her winter coat is currently a flaming mass of goose down and polyester somewhere in the middle of it.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

rbos

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #143 on: 12 May 2016, 07:10 »

This latest comic reminded me of a running gag in the webcomic "Casey and Andy" by Andy Weir. Occasionally the characters would burn things down and end up in that pose outside. I wonder if Jacques has read that one and is making an homage to it.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #144 on: 12 May 2016, 08:09 »

How's about someone tosses you in a building that goes up in flames when you think you're going to have an uneventful evening, and see how put together you look when you make it out into the street!

Quite. The last time I walked out of a burning building I was dressed in a pair of shorts and a waterproof jacket and carrying a selection of musical instruments, but not the most precious one*. Logic doesn't altogether come into it. Trust me on this.

If that wasn't bad enough I think Clinton missed the bus again.

The bus will have been diverted as the street will be closed.  So he's not going to catch it easily!

*Fortunately the fire didn't get as far as the cupboard it was stored in, which was sufficiently waterproof to protect it from the equally damaging water, so I still have that one too.

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #145 on: 12 May 2016, 08:21 »

Did someone order toast? With a regular toaster as I would suppose intelligent toasters won't burn down bars.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #146 on: 12 May 2016, 09:26 »

Intelligent toasters might also hate your guts and purposefully burn down the bar.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #147 on: 12 May 2016, 09:37 »

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #148 on: 12 May 2016, 10:13 »

Intelligent toasters might also hate your guts and purposefully burn down the bar.
Then the toaster better either A. be ambulatory, or B. have a death wish.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #149 on: 12 May 2016, 10:19 »

I can only assume that everyone is looking at this through shipping spectacles which is ironic because it's usually me who's the hopeless romantic!

I'm just remembering the last time we had a Clinton time-jump, and everyone was speculating based on his appearance while waiting for explanations. Much of the speculation turned out to be correct.

The fact that only the tattoo arm has the sleeve pulled up seems likely to be significant, IMHO. Did Barry try to plug something into Clinton's tattoo? Then the robot hand shorted out and caused the fire?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up