• 27 Apr 2024, 11:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, now what? (Two votes each)

Clinton begs his mum to let Eyebrow Girl sleep over for the night
Clinton begs Claire, Marten and Faye to let Eyebrow Girl sleep over for the night
Clinton begs his mum to let Eyebrow Girl sleep over for the night; it turns into a longer-term thing
We cut back to Marten and Claire; Clinton's call for help interrupts a... moment
Bubbles has things to think about and notices a fire in the city... a BIG fire
We meet another of Jeph's new characters when she comes into CoD the next morning
New arc! Steve returns and he needs Marten's help for something!
New arc! Just what has Hannelore been doing with her time when she isn't at CoD?
New arc! May's probation hearing is coming up and she needs to persuade her friends to speak on her behalf
Other

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3221 to 3225 (16 - 20 May 2016)  (Read 86636 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT Strips 3221 to 3225 (16 - 20 May 2016)
« Reply #200 on: 18 May 2016, 22:27 »

If you don't respect pooping privacy, your proboscis will pay a prohibitive price.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Eastrim

• Plantmonster
« Reply #201 on: 18 May 2016, 22:37 »

If you don't respect pooping privacy, your proboscis will pay a prohibitive price.
Preposterous! Prompt police will pop up!
That is of course, the correct answer, both logically and according to Occam's Razor. As such, it has no place here.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #202 on: 18 May 2016, 22:45 »

Preposterous! Prompt police will pop up!

Prompt police! POOP police, probably!
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #203 on: 18 May 2016, 22:57 »

I can sympathize with Clinton.  I never know when to end a conversation and leave.  I always feel like I'm being rude if I excuse myself before being dismissed. 

Zastie

• Emoticontraindication
    • deviantArt
« Reply #204 on: 18 May 2016, 23:17 »

Yeah, especially an odd situation like that too. Pretty whacky night all things considered so I'm sure he's not thinking 100% clearly.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #205 on: 18 May 2016, 23:36 »

I think that this is proof that Brun isn't exactly a 'damsel in distress'. She's been down this road (what I saw described as a 'meltdown' several times yesterday) many times before. She doesn't want or need someone to sit there to hold her hand all night. She's lived with this all her life, after all. She must know how to handle it. All she needed was someone trustworthy to get her to a safe spot where she could unwind. That thing with the note in panel 6 said to me: "Shoo! Go home! I'll be fine!"

It's nice that she wants to see him tomorrow. I suspect that Clinton has behaved atypically enough for her to want to know more. Friendship is definitely happening there.

So, IMHO, that's the end of this arc. Any bets what Jeph will do tomorrow? I'm thinking Marten and Claire in bed. They're discussing Clinton. Marten tells Claire he's sure Clinton  is okay. With the exception of his time associating with Emily, when does anything exciting happen to him? Pintsize pipes up that maybe he rescued a fair damsel from a fire and that they are destined to be soul-mates. Marten and Claire tell him not to talk nonsense. Now, go to your cupboard to recharge!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Zastie

• Emoticontraindication
    • deviantArt
« Reply #206 on: 18 May 2016, 23:41 »

That's an awfully detailed speculation, do you already have sketches drawn up too to go along with it? Are you going to make that panel reality even if Jeph doesn't? Are you willing to go the distance?

(Okay yeah I need sleep..)

Eastrim

• Plantmonster
« Reply #207 on: 19 May 2016, 00:08 »

She's been down this road many times before.
What do you base that on?

That thing with the note in panel 6 said to me: "Shoo! Go home! I'll be fine!"
Prettty sure that was meant to say "go away now, I need to poop!"
That is of course, the correct answer, both logically and according to Occam's Razor. As such, it has no place here.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #208 on: 19 May 2016, 00:09 »

It's all explained in my previous post.
~~~~

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #209 on: 19 May 2016, 00:09 »

It's nice that she wants to see him tomorrow.

She doesn't actually say that. The note does not specify anything about "tomorrow", and she doesn't really respond to it when Clinton mentions it. *shrug*

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to set yourself on fire.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Eastrim

• Plantmonster
« Reply #210 on: 19 May 2016, 00:12 »

It's nice that she wants to see him tomorrow.
She doesn't actually say that. The note does not specify anything about "tomorrow", and she doesn't really respond to it when Clinton mentions it. *shrug*
She nods emphatically and affirmatively in the third panel.

It's all explained in my previous post.

Your previous post is:
When Clinton tells her that he visited a bar and it subsequently burned down... oh, and he's sort of been self-nominated as the carer for the former barkeep...? Well, I doubt that Claire will let him out on his own ever again.

Your previous previous post is:
Wow. She's got big issues with emotional extremes, it seems. So bad that it screws up her ability to function until she crests the hill. I wonder if she'll be able to do anything for a while!
Carl-E is right: That clock is important to her. Maybe watching the hands moving around the dial is calming in some way? If so, it is probably something that is very important to her. The vanishing scotch mark might be a hint in this direction. I can see her lovingly wiping the mark away when Clinton wasn't looking.
Cute touch: As the walls started to crumble, she feels safe enough with Clinton to make physical contact and choose him to help her. It says a lot about Clinton's character that she so quickly has come to trust him, especially given that she clearly has previously had problems with people trying to run her life (trying to assign names is never a good start).
A prediction: Brun is going to be the most challenging regular character to write that Jeph has ever had in the strip.

And then I stopped looking. I see no reasoning for concluding that many times in her life, she has been traumatized to the point of inaudibility.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2016, 00:18 by Eastrim »

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #211 on: 19 May 2016, 00:17 »

Right, she does. I stand corrected.

Eastrim

• Plantmonster
« Reply #212 on: 19 May 2016, 00:18 »

Right, she does. I stand corrected.
It's okay, I assume you saw the tomorrow mention in the last panel and got mixed up.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2016, 00:28 by Eastrim »

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #213 on: 19 May 2016, 00:31 »

@Eastrim,

:roll:

Okay, as you apparently have a blind spot for the rest of the post you originally quoted:

She's lived with this all her life, after all. She must know how to handle it.

Conditions like hers typically first manifest in childhood. She's certainly had experiences worse than this before.
~~~~

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #214 on: 19 May 2016, 00:43 »

For some reason I am mildly surprised there is no umlaut.  :psyduck:
I am very tired, but I'll try to explain it anyways. An umlaut changes the way the vowel is pronounced and changes how much stress/emphasis you put on it. Vowels in German (as with many other languages) only have one sound unless paired with another vowel in a diphthong or given some sort of accent mark (like an umlaut or that backwards apostrophy) . In this case, "Brun" doesn't have a stressed inflection because there's no umlaut.

DISCLAIMER:  I'm not a linguistt
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #215 on: 19 May 2016, 00:44 »

It's based on a series of assumptions and speculations (about her condition and history) that are fairly reasonable, although not known for certain to be true; but just remember that speculation is what BenRG does. This is about as well-justified as speculation gets around here.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Eastrim

• Plantmonster
« Reply #216 on: 19 May 2016, 00:48 »

:roll: Okay, as you apparently have a blind spot for the rest of the post you originally quoted:

She's lived with this all her life, after all. She must know how to handle it.

Conditions like hers typically first manifest in childhood. She's certainly had experiences worse than this before.
Okay, the eyerolling is uncalled for and rude. I think it natural to read 'previous post' as not the one I quoted (being the one that I quoted, which would be"the post you quoted" as you say), but the one previous to it. Don't blame me for your phrasing.

Also, if I read the post and then quoted it to ask a question, then I clearly did not see an explanation there. Saying "lived with this all her live" is a vague constant. Disaster, setbacks, situational muteness, her cuckoo clock? The subject 'this' is not specified. The likely subject may be "this road (what I saw described as a 'meltdown'," but that itself is pretty vague, and not an "all her life" kind of thing. I've had colds a dozen or two times, gotten blisters more than I can count, but neither would count as an "all my life" occurrence.

Wait.

Where IS the cuckoo clock? she doesn't have it in her hands when walking in, just the room card. It doesn't show up in later panels.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #217 on: 19 May 2016, 00:56 »

For some reason I am mildly surprised there is no umlaut.  :psyduck:
I am very tired, but I'll try to explain it anyways. An umlaut changes the way the vowel is pronounced and changes how much stress/emphasis you put on it. Vowels in German (as with many other languages) only have one sound unless paired with another vowel in a diphthong or given some sort of accent mark (like an umlaut or that backwards apostrophy) . In this case, "Brun" doesn't have a stressed inflection because there's no umlaut.

DISCLAIMER:  I'm not a linguistt

Well, if Brun was born in the US, it is likely that her name has been anglified. That happens a lot, since English doesn't use umlaut marks. Her name might even be pronounced as if it had those umlauts, depending on her family's traditions. But possibly not.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2016, 01:07 by Lubricus »

Gyrre

« Reply #218 on: 19 May 2016, 01:00 »

And if it is Autism that drives her character's unusual traits, I can't say I'm a particular fan of the representation here. (Amd it seems weird that she was so acute and on point in 3215.)
As an aspie, I'm going to have to ask you to clarify. Today's been an off day.
In reference to comic 3215, she's apparently able to quickly and easily discern the real source of Clinton's conflict, get right to the heart of the matter, and precisely steer him towards a clear and immediate self-realization. As an aspie myself, I only have my own experiences to go off of, but I can't possibly see that kind of immediate and precise social navigation ever being in my wheelhouse of skills.

In regards to her characterization as a whole, I just don't find her all too pleasant. Prior to the fire, she's willfully unhelpful, threatens Clinton for no good reason, and seems to dislike helping customers. After the fire she's not been as bad, though she's still done little to endear herself to me besides being in a sympathetic position. I can't easily care for someone who acts like an unhelpful dick most of the time, even if they're amusing and willing to be *less* of a dick if you call them out on it.

I'm all for representation, but I'd rather that representation be with positive characters.
She likely has a lot of practice with  it and may have studied psychology in college (speaking from experience).

As for her coldness. Ever worked in the customer service industry (restaurants, retail, that sort of thing)? Dependent on one's job, length of employment, and personality, one can become quickly embittered. Not to mention that she could be an international resident. America has an aggressive, almost violent, overemphasis on customer service industry employees  being smiling, cheerful, and ready to blow sunshine up the customer's ass all while taking whatever verbal/emotional abuse they dish out. Other countries don't have that. EDIT: Don't have that as badly.

On the note of representation; after all of the half-assed and outright wrong portrayals in Hollywood and TV (especially cable news), I just want something that's as accurate and honest as possible  and I don't really care so much if it's positive or not. Hollywood wouldn't know accuracy if it walked up and punched them in the face. With the exception of Dan Akroid. Sidebar: someone should try to get him to write a slice-of-life show that accurately depicts life with autism.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2016, 01:52 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #219 on: 19 May 2016, 01:17 »

Speaking of accuracy, I'm going to have to give Jeph a thumbs up. I'm not the only autistic in my family (not sure of the specific diagnosis). My cousin's daughter learned sign language because she gets like that when she's upset, too.
a real-ass gaddam sword

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #220 on: 19 May 2016, 02:28 »

Yeah, sorry about that Eastrim. I was about two coffees short when I posted that.
~~~~

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #221 on: 19 May 2016, 02:54 »

In German, the umlaut doesn't reflect stress, but completely changes pronunciation.  Ä is pronounced like the English "A" (as opposed to the every-other-language "A"), Ö is pronounced sort of like "er," and Ü... well... listen to the word "brüder" here.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #222 on: 19 May 2016, 03:05 »

Why can't Brun just be Brun?  It's short for Brunhilde.  It happens that the name Brunhilde is also in different places spelt Brünnhilde or even Brynhildr (and further variants of these), but we have no reason to impose a version of her name different from that which she has stated.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #223 on: 19 May 2016, 03:07 »

Indeed. And as mentioned above, anglified German names tend not to have umlauts, and tend not to be pronounced as if they had them. Like "Gunther" in Friends - had he been German, his name would have been "Günther", and it would have been pronounced differently.

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #224 on: 19 May 2016, 03:16 »

(as opposed to the every-other-language "A")

For some reason, this comment made me chuckle.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #225 on: 19 May 2016, 03:56 »

To be fair, certain Central Asian languages also pronounce "A" strangely.  :laugh:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #226 on: 19 May 2016, 04:12 »

To be fair, certain Central Asian languages also pronounce "A" differently.  :laugh:
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #227 on: 19 May 2016, 04:25 »

Was that... Really necessary, Thrillho?  :?

heyjames4

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #228 on: 19 May 2016, 05:46 »

1. Is this palindromic pooping a mutant strain of butts disease?
2. I don't know what Brun's deal is, but I like her and want to see more.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #229 on: 19 May 2016, 05:50 »

It took me this long to realize "Brun" is an anagram of "Burn".  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #230 on: 19 May 2016, 07:04 »

Regarding 'normal' and 'average' I'm actually a big fan of the usage of the words 'neurotypical' and 'neuroatypical'.

It sounds far more factual and far less judgemental than most alternatives.

I'm not sure how something that literally says "typical" is really less judgemental than "normal". What it does is medicalizes it, which helps some people be non-judgemental about things, but is it really good to be judgy about any difference you can't medicalize?

Calling something normal doesn't inherently entail a value judgement against things that are non-normal, and saying that it does feels like conceding the war to pretend you've won a battle.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2016, 07:09 by Random832 »

Random832

« Reply #231 on: 19 May 2016, 07:07 »

Ä is pronounced like the English "A" (as opposed to the every-other-language "A")

English has lots of "A"s. There are two kinds of languages: those with five vowels*, and those with five dozen vowels. Those with only five tend to have the same five (more or less) because they're relatively evenly distributed in "vowel space". I assume that you mean "as in hat" and "as in father" respectively.

*some languages may only have three vowels
« Last Edit: 19 May 2016, 07:12 by Random832 »

oddtail

« Reply #232 on: 19 May 2016, 07:19 »

Ä is pronounced like the English "A" (as opposed to the every-other-language "A")

English has lots of "A"s. (There are two kinds of languages: those with five vowels*, and those with five dozen vowels). I assume that you mean "as in hat" and "as in father" respectively.

*some languages may only have three vowels

Five dozen vowels is a "bit" of an exaggeration. English, a language with a notoriously large number of vowel phonemes, has about a dozen vowels and six to eight diphtongs, depending on dialect. Granted, there are thousands of languages in the world, but I am not aware of that many that have significantly more vowels than English and from what I remember about phonetics, there aren't that many *possible* vowel phonemes, and few languages use most of them. French, for instance, has up to 17 vowels according to Wikipedia, and it's not like the language has simple vowel phonology. Apparently, based on a quick research, the most vowel monopthongs in a European language is up to 32 for Danish (and Wikipedia states the number to be at 20), and no other European language goes to even 20. I'm not sure how it works globally, but I know there are a large number of African and Asian languages with a rather small number of vowels.

...unless you were using a deliberate hyperbole, in which case I withdraw my objection.

Gyrre

« Reply #233 on: 19 May 2016, 07:38 »

In German, the umlaut doesn't reflect stress, but completely changes pronunciation.  Ä is pronounced like the English "A" (as opposed to the every-other-language "A"), Ö is pronounced sort of like "er," and Ü... well... listen to the word "brüder" here.
Thank you for explaining it better. Like I said, I was very tired (still am, too).
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #234 on: 19 May 2016, 07:48 »

Regarding 'normal' and 'average' I'm actually a big fan of the usage of the words 'neurotypical' and 'neuroatypical'.

It sounds far more factual and far less judgemental than most alternatives.

I'm not sure how something that literally says "typical" is really less judgemental than "normal". What it does is medicalizes it, which helps some people be non-judgemental about things, but is it really good to be judgy about any difference you can't medicalize?

Calling something normal doesn't inherently entail a value judgement against things that are non-normal, and saying that it does feels like conceding the war to pretend you've won a battle.
"Normal is a statistical anomaly."
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oc9tKkH7WE
a real-ass gaddam sword

Eastrim

• Plantmonster
« Reply #235 on: 19 May 2016, 08:33 »

Asking again: where is the cuckoo clock? There's no sign of it on her as she enters the room. Neither hand appears to be in a position to be holding it.

Feel the Brun!

Yeah, sorry about that Eastrim. I was about two coffees short when I posted that.
No worries.

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #236 on: 19 May 2016, 08:35 »

Maybe Brun is a Firestarter?   :facepalm:
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Random832

« Reply #237 on: 19 May 2016, 09:43 »

...unless you were using a deliberate hyperbole, in which case I withdraw my objection.

It was some hyperbole, but I also was counting diphthongs that are not mere composition of two adjacent vowel phonemes spelled normally (French "oi" is a big offender there) towards the number of vowels, and I also count different ways of spelling the same sound ('a' as in father and 'o' as in hot, for instance) as distinct vowels, compared to languages that don't have them but instead only have five phonemes each always spelled with the same letter.

Really, the best counterexample to my claim is German, which is somewhere in the middle with a reasonably coherent rational spelling system (as five-vowel languages), but has nontrivial diphthongs ("eu" and "ei" sounding more like "o-i" and "a-i") and three extra base vowels.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2016, 09:48 by Random832 »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #238 on: 19 May 2016, 09:57 »

Is it really necessary to call another language strange?

I did it as a human not a mod.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Eastrim

• Plantmonster
« Reply #239 on: 19 May 2016, 10:15 »

In context, it was a pun on American English and oddtails quote of Near Lurker about it.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #240 on: 19 May 2016, 11:47 »

I somehow doubt the pun was directed at American English in particular. At least I read as a pun at English in general.

But I'm with TrillHo. The pun was an unnecessary one. There are contexts where it holds. If your language repertoire is close to mine (Finnish, English, Swedish, German), then English is the odd one out in many ways - the pronounciation of vowel combinations in particular. But, if your repertoire is, say English, French, Spanish, then my (past) complaints about the inability of English speakers to pronounce 'J' or 'Y' or umlauted vowels "my way" would ring hollow.

The explanation to the differences is probably (can't site a source, sorry) historical. Spanish and French have obvious common roots. Swedish OTOH is a Germanic language. Finnish is not, but largely copied the phoneme-to-letter(combination) mapping from German/Swedish. English, having a mixture of French, Germanic and Gaelic roots, is hit with traditions pulling in opposite directions. Also, standards of written English are old (very much so in comparison to my native Finnish), and therefore the language is lugging a ballast built up over the centuries. This (IMHO) is the main reason the US has an illiteracy problem. Your learners are battling this handicap.

Anyway, there are many languages and many conventions. The strangeness is in the ear of the listener.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #241 on: 19 May 2016, 12:07 »

That's an awfully detailed speculation, do you already have sketches drawn up too to go along with it? Are you going to make that panel reality even if Jeph doesn't? Are you willing to go the distance?

(Okay yeah I need sleep..)

FWIW - That is what is referred to as "Head-can(n)on" in here, and I've seen more detailed canons, and ... much "looser cannons" than those BenRG generally puts on the upper deck. (What I was unhappy with, I've already said, and I've also said I generally enjoy Ben firing a "broadside", so YMMV)

Personally, I've found it conducive to my mental health to try and regard the speculation in here as a form of "collective emergent performance art" ...  :wink:

This IS, after all, the WCDT - usually just one step removed from alt-canon (and-, if it were not for the moderation, slash-fic) - it's tempting to groan about other people's "mental mortar", while forgetting the "Howitzer weighing down on your own skull" ...

---
General ether:
That happily cited line about "projection" that Tova has in his sig - I remember when Westrim made that comment, but not the specific topic (probably a relationship arc with Marigold - they do tend to be ... "combustible").

On the other hand - This IS THE WCDT ...  :-\

It certainly IS good to remember the artillery everybody is wearing in here - but it's not a nifty catch-all putdown. For starters, IDENTIFICATION with a character is NOT psychological projection.
The first MIGHT veer into the "generalization fallacy", the second is about psychological defence mechanism of the "You are always so rude"-type, thrown about by a very rude person - likely upon being called out.

The underlying (internal) conflict is that the "projector" is unable to acknowledge their (aggressive?) impulses, for whatever reason - maybe they were raised to not overtly aggress - and hence subconsciously pretends them to be the impulses of the person they are attacking - they 'project' the impulse from themselves onto the other in their internal narrative.

This is by no means simple - and it is INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT TO OBJECTIVELY PROVE to be either PRESENT, or ABSENT. Which is probably the reason why the 'projection defence' is so widespread.

This also means that 'you're projecting' is pretty much what Oddtail said it is - At the very, very best, it can be a hint to a receptive person about a malcognition. More likely, it is an excellent "You shut up now, you!" - since it is impossible to conclusively refute.

As Oddtail pointed out, the discussion most likely is over after "you're projecting" - it's a derail, an impossible-to-refute red-herring, and an ad hominem fallacy (your argument is wrong because you are somebody who is  likely to projectidentify/generalize) all rolled into one. With the option to shoot off a "Don't be so sensitive ... you're always so sensitive ..." if the victim protests.

Pretty much "Check your privilege" without the social benefits (however slim or great they might be - we have threads-worth of discussion on that one, over in Discuss)

(EDIT BELOW HERE: Spelling, clarity)
As a rational argument, it pretty much useless outside a counselling session - If one wants to refute a claim based on insufficient data, why not say "Excuse me, but this strikes me as an example of the Generalization Fallacy?" In order to discuss whether a fallacious generalization was made, there's no need to attack the other's identity, or identification - no need to even touch upon it - so why do that?
And, let's be honest here: The latter (attacking the other's identity, or identification) is at the very best, at grave risk of being an asshole move. At worst, it's an intentional asshat-move aimed at someone who has far more at stake than you do.
Not cool, IMO.

---
@Tova: Thanks for your thoughtful reply -> I'll have more on that, but the (other) points you make more than deserve a response in a separate post.
@RoXtar: Thanks for the clarification!

WRT the shortening of names, one could consider me unfortunate. "Seb" is really the only way to shorten Sebastian, so I definitely don't have any options!
"Basti" is pretty common in Germany.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2016, 14:18 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Eastrim

• Plantmonster
« Reply #242 on: 19 May 2016, 12:09 »

I somehow doubt the pun was directed at American English in particular. At least I read as a pun at English in general.

But I'm with TrillHo. The pun was an unnecessary one. There are contexts where it holds. If your language repertoire is close to mine (Finnish, English, Swedish, German), then English is the odd one out in many ways - the pronounciation of vowel combinations in particular. But, if your repertoire is, say English, French, Spanish, then my (past) complaints about the inability of English speakers to pronounce 'J' or 'Y' or umlauted vowels "my way" would ring hollow.

The explanation to the differences is probably (can't site a source, sorry) historical. Spanish and French have obvious common roots. Swedish OTOH is a Germanic language. Finnish is not, but largely copied the phoneme-to-letter(combination) mapping from German/Swedish. English, having a mixture of French, Germanic and Gaelic roots, is hit with traditions pulling in opposite directions. Also, standards of written English are old (very much so in comparison to my native Finnish), and therefore the language is lugging a ballast built up over the centuries. This (IMHO) is the main reason the US has an illiteracy problem. Your learners are battling this handicap.

Anyway, there are many languages and many conventions. The strangeness is in the ear of the listener.

You're right, it was English in general. The point still stands that the joke was that English 'A's aren't outliers - here are some completely unrelated languages that are just as 'strange'! Puns don't have necessity- that is completely aside from the point of a pun.

General ether:
That happily cited line about "projection" that Tova has in his sig - I remember when Westrim made that comment, but not the specific topic (probably a relationship arc with Marigold - they do tend to be ... "combustible").

As Oddtail pointed out, the discussion most likely is over after "you're projecting" - it's a derail, an impossible-to-refute red-herring, and an ad hominem fallacy (you are wrong because you are somebody who is  likely to projectidentify/generalize) all rolled into one. With the option to shoot off a "Don't be so sensitive ... you're always so sensitive ..." if the victim protests.
I do too. Still have it bookmarked; it's from here. It's from when Angus was considering the New York job and lots of people were projecting their relationship difficulties or future planning on to the situation.

Projection is one of the words that has shifted in meaning, something else discussed in this thread. Yes, it used to refer only to people who were recognizing aggression in others but not in themselves. It's morphed over time; as used here (and in that years ago quote) it is taking ones own recognized traits and seizing on commonalities with the recognized traits of others without considering differences, alternatives, or insufficient information. In that sense, noting projection is a call for objective analysis and consideration of alternatives.

It's like seeing a woman who is depressed and with an infant in public and going "OMG, I had post partum depression too! Don't worry honey, you'll get through it!" Perhaps that's true (certainly it's butting in to someone's private business). Perhaps she looks at you in confusion, "this is my niece. My boyfriend just broke up with me and my sister is on a date night with her husband."
« Last Edit: 19 May 2016, 12:40 by Eastrim »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #243 on: 19 May 2016, 13:10 »

Welcome, new people!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

oddtail

« Reply #244 on: 19 May 2016, 13:19 »

@Eastrim: I still think a "you're projecting" is not very useful in a discussion. Even if it's true, it doesn't necessarily invalidate the arguments made. And there *were* arguments made for Brun being autistic other than "she behaves just like me".

@Random832: counting the same vowel sound spelt differently as more than one vowel is somewhat problematic. The word "vowel" is ambiguous - it either refers to particular sounds (to oversimplify: sounds that are included in each syllable and make it a syllable), or to letters that conventionally represent vowel sounds (a,e,i,o,u, and optionally y, plus the variants of those with diacritics). Combining the two is a category error. I was taught in college that generally, when talking about sounds in languages, especially in the context of phonetics/phonology, spelling is completely irrelevant and should be ignored (because spelling is an artificial constraint/convention that does not necessarily reflect the structure of the natural spoken language - English being an excellent example actually - while phonetics and phonology can be analysed in a somewhat objective and scientific manner).

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #245 on: 19 May 2016, 13:32 »

Okay, so does Brun have stress-induced mutism, or is she full-on Autism Spectrum?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #246 on: 19 May 2016, 14:20 »

Okay, so does Brun have stress-induced mutism, or is she full-on Autism Spectrum?

We won't know until Jeph shows us, because there isn't enough evidence so far to make a clear-cut decision (which has already been over-much discussed).  So let's just wait and see.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

retrosteve

• Very slow tourist
« Reply #247 on: 19 May 2016, 14:32 »

The autistic trait does seem to get a bit of ground now. I can't say I know a lot about this stuff but I have an alternative reason. Don't take offense, I'm just shooting out an idea:
She could also be extremely traumatized from a previous event ...

Like, say, a childhood vaccination?  (Noooooooooo!) 

I'm going to hell now.
Thinks too much.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #248 on: 19 May 2016, 14:47 »

Yes, yes you are.

At least she's in a decently safe place and Clinton has shown there is a lot more to him than usually meets the eye once again.

I wonder, if she doesn't actually own the Bar, who does and is that person related to her.

*Sudden thought*

Plot Twist - The Bar belongs to Hannermom and is a 'Tax Write-off'.  Brun is actually a 'secret' cousin/sister/relative of Hanners.  :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #249 on: 19 May 2016, 15:33 »

I did it as a human not a mod.

I just would like to mention that it took me at least three or four reads to finally realise that you'd edited what you quoted, here. And was only after you'd added the comment above. May I respectfully suggest that it would better have been placed in the first post?

Also, mod tags notwithstanding, criticisms such as these* from mods carry more ... significance... than the same from anyone else.

Between some people getting insulted by strange, and others by normal, I feel as though the conversation in thread may never end.

BTW Thank you, Case and Eastrim, for reminding me of the correct meaning of the word 'projection.' It's something I shall keep in mind.

* Edit: to clarify, by "such as these", I mean by editing a quote. It's a "moderator"-like action.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up