We meet Bruns boss - Brian!
Emily runs into Clinton while he's waiting for his Cab
Sunday Dinner at Clairemoms - Awkwardness ensues
Jeph trolls us with a week of Steve eating Cereal with Tortura
Back to Faye and Bubbles
Nothing in this Poll is right
Spathe Pizza with Ham and Beer

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3226 to 3230 (25 - 27 May 2016)  (Read 48311 times)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
Re: WCDT Strips 3226 to 3230 (25 - 27 May 2016)
« Reply #50 on: 23 May 2016, 11:16 »

I just thought of a way this could reach BenRG levels of darkness - what if Claire says something like "yeah, I know, not a big deal, x seems to be good for her"... x not equaling Chad?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #51 on: 23 May 2016, 11:45 »

Wonder if Clinton will be upset with Claire again if she tells him that she knows and it's been going on for awhile.

"Well, yeah. I knew that already. That's one of the reasons I've been spending so many nights over at Marten's lately. They can get a bit.. loud."

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #52 on: 23 May 2016, 14:21 »

I wonder if Clinton's reaction is more than just, "Ew, parent sex!" and could be partially, "Mum's dating again!"? This might be the first time Clinton is seeing his mother with someone other than his father. Also it's one thing to see your parent with a stranger and another to be with someone you knew previously and if Clinton tutored him, then it's likely that Chad is around his age or slightly younger.

I also wondered if it's possible that his Mom met Chad while Clinton was tutoring him, but it seems Chad is unaware of the familial relation because he doesn't say, "Wow, your son is the guy who tutored me!"

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #53 on: 23 May 2016, 14:25 »

I wonder if Clinton's reaction is more than just, "Ew, parent sex!" and could be partially, "Mum's dating again!"? This might be the first time Clinton is seeing his mother with someone other than his father. Also it's one thing to see your parent with a stranger and another to be with someone you knew previously and if Clinton tutored him, then it's likely that Chad is around his age or slightly younger.

I also wondered if it's possible that his Mom met Chad while Clinton was tutoring him, but it seems Chad is unaware of the familial relation because he doesn't say, "Wow, your son is the guy who tutored me!"

Between strips:
Chad: "Babe? Funny thing that, but that guy Clinton? He has the same family name as you! I wonder what he wanted ..."
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #54 on: 23 May 2016, 14:27 »

Would he, though? His parents are divorced.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #55 on: 23 May 2016, 14:35 »

I know of women who have kept the ex-husband's name for various personal reasons. It's also possible mom changed back to the maiden name and either changed their names as well or the children chose to as a show of support or family.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #56 on: 23 May 2016, 14:48 »

There's no evidence for it but it would have been a meddler move and in the service of the Principle of Maximum Awkwardness if Claire had fixed them up.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #57 on: 23 May 2016, 15:06 »

One thing we know about ClaireMom is she's not bashful about inviting young men over to the house. Perhaps she romanced Chad with pancakes. We also don't know what she does in the way of work, either. She may have run into Chad in the course of that.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #58 on: 23 May 2016, 15:16 »

And later on we find out she's an 'Associate' of Veronica Vance
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #59 on: 23 May 2016, 22:34 »

Comic!

Clinton has weird priorities. And he didn´t mention the clock either.

Claire managed to calm him down quite fast. Go mom. I like that.

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #60 on: 23 May 2016, 22:38 »

Whoa CHad is friggin 21!?!
Genetics are so unfair. Here I am, 23, 5'6'' and looking like a kid by comparison.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #61 on: 23 May 2016, 22:38 »

I think that we all were more-or-less expecting today's strip to turn out the way that it did. However, it a certain way, it probably tells us a lot about Clinton, his personality and, possibly, his relationship with his mother.

Look at his monologue in panel 3 and his body language. Although he is making a show of agreeing with Claire, you can tell that he thinks she's being irrational. He also uses a lot of pointed language to show that he still disapproves of his mother's choices but that he doesn't want to start (another) fight with Claire over it. Claire also correctly zeroes in on the strange fact that, with all the stuff (some of it life-threatening) that had happened to him that night, why is he most worried about his mother's sex life?

That said, Clinton gets an award for summarising what was, what...? 25 strips...? Managing to boil that down to a single run-on sentence is pretty impressive! I'm sure that the educator in Claire would be impressed if she weren't more worried about his safety and his skewed idea of what was the more important events of that night!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #62 on: 23 May 2016, 22:48 »

But he still didn't mention the Harpoon

It's amazing the kind of things you'll latch on to to rationalise a night like that.
James The Kugai 

Squiddlywinx

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #63 on: 23 May 2016, 22:54 »

From Crisis to Crisis? Sounds a lot like DC Comics, doesn't it? Am I right or am I right?

:clairedoge:

(I accidentally posted this on last week's discussion thing. Quite embarrassing.)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #64 on: 23 May 2016, 22:55 »

I'm still laughing at (emphasis is mine): "Well, if she wants to hook up with 21 year old guys who're bad at math, that's her prerogative."

The horror!
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #65 on: 23 May 2016, 23:03 »

In Clinton's defense it was the most recent of the shocks of the evening and therefore salient.

It's also the only one that stayed emotionally unresolved due to the lack of any appropriate action. You're in a fire? You help others out, problem solved. Someone's apartment destroyed? You get her to a hotel, immediate problem solved. You can't handle your mother enjoying a hookup? No solution, short of changing your emotions, a slow process. Problems that can be solved are less likely to haunt you.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #66 on: 23 May 2016, 23:11 »

From Crisis to Crisis? Sounds a lot like DC Comics, doesn't it? Am I right or am I right?

A DC comic? Definitely "Identity Crisis"  :-D

I don´t think Clinton is making a show in panel three. I rather suppose that recapitulating the event last night and his sisters relaxed reaction to it sends pictures to his inner eyes he´d rather prefer to forget. So I think he´s just shivering.

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

Eastrim

• Plantmonster
« Reply #67 on: 23 May 2016, 23:19 »

That went down more or less as expected.

Has he checked in with Brun yet?

Whoa Chad is friggin 21!?!
Genetics are so unfair. Here I am, 23, 5'6'' and looking like a kid by comparison.
Looking older when young generally indicates that one will also look older when older, so take it as a blessing.
That is of course, the correct answer, both logically and according to Occam's Razor. As such, it has no place here.

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #68 on: 24 May 2016, 01:08 »

Looking older when young generally indicates that one will also look older when older, so take it as a blessing.

Exactly this. I'm twenty four and can easily pass for seventeen. I'm shorter, don't have facial hair, and have what my friends call "babyface syndrome". I used to hate it, but now I've settled with this precise rationale; when my friends and I are fifty, they'll look their age and I won't. It's a pain at the start, but babyface syndrome is a long con, my dude. It always pays off on the other end.

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #69 on: 24 May 2016, 01:13 »

Exactly this. I'm twenty four and can easily pass for seventeen. I'm shorter, don't have facial hair, and have what my friends call "babyface syndrome". I used to hate it, but now I've settled with this precise rationale; when my friends and I are fifty, they'll look their age and I won't. It's a pain at the start, but babyface syndrome is a long con, my dude. It always pays off on the other end.

Can confirm, because I am at the opposite end of this. I always looked a few years older than I was, and when I was 14 or 16 or even 20, that was great. Currently at 29, I've been mistaken for being in my forties. Not constantly, but often enough to make me very, very sad. Even people who don't go that far usually tend to assume I'm in my mid-thirties or something.

The only silver lining is that a big part of this is likely due to my becoming bald very early in my life, so hopefully when I'm 40 people will not assume I'm 55 or something. Hopefully.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #70 on: 24 May 2016, 01:36 »

I'm still laughing at (emphasis is mine): "Well, if she wants to hook up with 21 year old guys who're bad at math, that's her prerogative."

The horror!

Hey! Some people have standards, just sayin' ...  8-)

(Hat-tip to the inimitable Danielle Corsetto ...)

As for genetics: I was 32 the last time I was asked for ID, and ...
... Nope, I'm not sad about that AT ALL!
« Last Edit: 24 May 2016, 02:54 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #71 on: 24 May 2016, 01:53 »

The horror!

I wonder: Is this is jealousy? Claire has been able to get a relationship, his Mom has someone to scratch her itches... Hell, even Chad, who Clinton seems to regard as a muscle-headed moron, has got someone! However, he hasn't. There was this one girl who he liked but she gave him the "I'm kind of busy right now" line (what, being a MSc student) and... well, it's hard not to be a little bitter about things like that.
~~~~

Wildroses

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #72 on: 24 May 2016, 02:23 »

The horror!

I was coming to make a comment like this. I really got the impression Clinton thinks the fact his Mum picked someone bad at math is as bad as his mother picking someone who is 21. Where are your standards, Mum? Geez...

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #73 on: 24 May 2016, 04:21 »

I don't think Clinton's being jealous or anything, he's just shocked - his mom picked the guy he was tutoring (of course he thought she'd at least go for somebody smarter..)

I also don't think Chad is being rude for inserting himself in Mrs Augustus' life: He calls her babe, and she doesn't protest. That relationship isn't new, and she probably doesn't hide him from anybody beside her children, and how could he know of that particular relation? Although.. if they do have the same surname (they might not, if Mrs. Augustus got back to her maiden name and Clinton kept his father's), and they do have the same shade of red as haircolour, he might really not be the sharpest tool in the box.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #74 on: 24 May 2016, 04:28 »

if Mrs. Augustus got back to her maiden name
Or if she kept it from the start. Did we ever learn her name when Marten ate her pancakes?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #75 on: 24 May 2016, 05:09 »

Nope. We've been calling her "Mrs. Augustus" or "Clairemom" in the absence of any specific data. I'm hoping she at least acquires a first name at some point.

"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Wildroses

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #76 on: 24 May 2016, 06:51 »

I'm kind of hoping we find out Clairemom's name when Clinton goes back to his home and Chad is there saying: "Clinton, dude! I had no idea [name] was your mum! Small world huh? Why didn't you stay last night? Come on, let's go get some coffee and catch up."

Chad's complete lack of shame in walking to the front door in his underwear because he wanted to know who was at the door makes me wonder if Chad has been such a long term fixture her children were the only important people in her social circle Mrs Augustus hadn't introduced him too.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #77 on: 24 May 2016, 06:52 »

Caling her Mrs. Augutus is pretty shitty, I think.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #78 on: 24 May 2016, 07:25 »

I picture Claire going "bartender?  she?  you helped her find a place?  who is this woman?  why haven't I met her?"

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #79 on: 24 May 2016, 08:33 »

She just apologized for meddling. She'll probably give him a few hours of privacy.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #80 on: 24 May 2016, 09:00 »

You people talking about baby face, I'm 23, and this year alone, I've been cast in two plays as a pre-pubescent child. I amazed several cast members/cast members' parents by being old enough to drive. Last year, I had a woman accuse me of having a fake ID when I tried to buy beer.

I'm fine with looking young, I just want to look old enough for people to stop assuming I'm a child.

I know it'll be nice later, but right now, I'm in the place where it sucks.

There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Zastie

• Emoticontraindication
    • deviantArt
« Reply #81 on: 24 May 2016, 09:38 »

I just realized the similarities in Clinton's reaction to his mum sleeping with someone he knows/tutored and Pam's reaction to Michael sleeping with her mum (The Office).

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #82 on: 24 May 2016, 11:43 »

The horror!

Unless she also wants Chad to do her taxes. 

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #83 on: 24 May 2016, 11:48 »

You know, this comic is actually rather telling about Claire's actual views on casual sex.

She's not actually judgmental about it, she was just jealous of Marten's one night stand, when she Wasn't Judging™ Marten.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #85 on: 24 May 2016, 13:35 »

Looks like Claire is on the express train to hipster-town, sad. Also makes it very tricky to get a useful job in the real world.

What?

Whoa CHad is friggin 21!?!

He's also a drawing.

But then, there are 15 year olds that look like him.

The horror!

"Geez Clinton what's the problem, I'm 21, she's 47, she's only six years older than me."
"Oh that's right I never did finish tutoring you, did I?"

You know, this comic is actually rather telling about Claire's actual views on casual sex.

She's not actually judgmental about it, she was just jealous of Marten's one night stand, when she Wasn't Judging™ Marten.

Coming this fall to NBC... the new comedy drama starring some asshole from Gilmore Girls... Judging Marten.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #86 on: 24 May 2016, 13:52 »

"Geez Clinton what's the problem, I'm 21, she's 47, she's only six years older than me."
"Oh that's right I never did finish tutoring you, did I?"
You know, I wanted to make that joke, but couldn't come up with a way to make it that came off right. Kudos.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #87 on: 24 May 2016, 14:16 »

starring some asshole from Gilmore Girls... Judging Marten.
Now I'm genuinely trying to figure out if Marten would be played by Dean, Jess or Logan (Sam Winchester, Peter Petrelli, or Cary Agos from Supernatural, Heroes, and The Good Wife, respectively).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #88 on: 24 May 2016, 18:02 »

I thought it was more telling about how the characters align.  Claire sets herself up as chaotic, taking things as they come.  Clin-ton sets himself up as lawful, catching a slacker porking his mom is a wrong to be righted.

:clairedoge:

(I accidentally posted this on last week's discussion thing. Quite embarrassing.)

From Crisis to Crisis?  Sounds like a thrilling political porno.

Pizza guy:  Your total comes out to $15.99.
President:  Congress slashed my budget.  Is there another way I can pay for it?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #89 on: 24 May 2016, 20:50 »

Hmm!

Claire's so utterly Lawful when it comes to marital fidelity and library usage, though.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #90 on: 24 May 2016, 20:53 »

Hmm.  Claire and Clin-ton both seem neutral-good.  Even having the same overall alignment won't keep them from clashing at times.  Damn, I'll have to look to see if there's a QC character alignment thread.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Eastrim

• Plantmonster
« Reply #91 on: 24 May 2016, 21:12 »

Good, he didn't forget, he just hasn't made it to the hotel yet. And Brun's introduction to the rest of the cast is now delayed by 6 months of real time and 2 days of comic time.

Jeph sure is HARPING about that HARPOON, isn't he? Maybe he should write a metal song about it- for the HARP.  :claireface:
That is of course, the correct answer, both logically and according to Occam's Razor. As such, it has no place here.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #92 on: 24 May 2016, 21:54 »

Maybe it's for the best that he doesn't mention the harpoon.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #93 on: 24 May 2016, 22:11 »

Why would Claire be excited about meeting her own mom?

*rereads strip*

Oh. *bonks head on post*
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #94 on: 24 May 2016, 22:14 »

Good job pointing out 'the thing' to Claire. I think she's going to need a lot more reminding of it though... Also.. Don't you have a comb anywhere? Dammit man, that side hair is really starting to bug me.

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #95 on: 24 May 2016, 23:08 »

Good job pointing out 'the thing' to Claire. I think she's going to need a lot more reminding of it though... Also.. Don't you have a comb anywhere? Dammit man, that side hair is really starting to bug me.
What're you crazy? It's not only the no glasses, he also looks a hell of a lot better with that side hair.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #96 on: 24 May 2016, 23:09 »

Actually, Clinton, I'm fairly sure that what you're describing is called 'being an elder sibling', especially in the context of a younger sibling's personal life!

That said, don't we all do things like that? Some of us are better at forethought than others but, in the end, we mostly think "I want..." first and then find ourselves racing to fix the resulting problems! At least Claire's selfish impulses seem to be mostly in the area of "I want to help!"
~~~~

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #97 on: 24 May 2016, 23:54 »

I still want to see Claire meet Brun.

And nice going there Clinton for pointing out 'The Thing' to her.
James The Kugai 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #98 on: 25 May 2016, 00:18 »

Claire's comb ran off to join the Foreign Legion rather than face another day trying to straighten her hair.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DashaBlade

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #99 on: 25 May 2016, 00:28 »

I think the best thing ever would be an arc where, at some point, Brun and Bubbles hang out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up