THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Stylist, stylist by your chair, which of them has the floofiest hair?

Claire
Brun
Hannelore
Renee
Marigold
Dora Rae Jepsen
Dale

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3251 to 3255 (27th June to 1st July 2016)  (Read 40400 times)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
Re: WCDT Strips 3251 to 3255 (27th June to 1st July 2016)
« Reply #100 on: 28 Jun 2016, 21:36 »

Part of me wants to see Bubbles tasing Faye to stop her drinking.

Another part of me wants to see Faye getting tased by Bubbles to stop her drinking.

Then there's a third part of me that just wants to see someone getting tased in the comic.
Here you go.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #103 on: 28 Jun 2016, 22:09 »

part of me wants the next bit to be faye being legitimately emotional and crying.  Another part of me wants her to be thrown over bubbles shoulders and forcibly dragged away.
Bubbles' expression in the last panel is not incompatible with the latter. Just sayin'.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #104 on: 28 Jun 2016, 23:25 »

Okay, so it's confirmed that Bubbles knows about Faye's condition. I strongly suspect that we're coming up to the scene when Faye screams a long, abusive tirade at Bubbles (who does her 'unfeeling brick wall' impersonation) before breaking down and Bubbles having to carry her back to the apartment. There follows an awkward night with her basically keeping watch over Faye to stop her doing anything stupid.

I'll add this: Jeph's footer note today is 'This is going well'. He's right: it is. A few months ago, Bubbles would have shrugged and walked away, telling herself that she didn't care. Her friendship with Faye is now strong enough that she is able to set aside abuse for her friend's sake.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #105 on: 28 Jun 2016, 23:42 »

I also used to miss the title, but now I usually check it after reading Jeph's little remarks at the bottom.

Today's, incidentally, is relevant: "Bubbles doesn't have a credit card, she finds the concept offensive"

I can actually see a number of reasons why an AI might not like digital payment methods. I consider these remarks canon until proven otherwise. :wink:

But is it the concept of digital payment she finds offensive or the concept of monetary debt credit [brain, words please] that she finds offensive?
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2016, 23:55 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #106 on: 29 Jun 2016, 00:01 »

No, Bubbles, no. "fucking off" is in tho other direction!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

More seriously though, I'm genuinely both curious and invested in what happens next. I think Bubbles might consider or try to prevent Faye from buying liquor with more than just calm argumentation, and I guess that could potentially be even worse. Both my limited knowledge and limited experience of people with addictions is that if they are stopped from indulging in their addiction by an outside force, or even feel they've been forced or coerced by someone else (even if it's not true), it tends not to last.

Right now I'm kinda worried, because I don't see any possibility of this ending well in a way that wouldn't feel like an easy, unrealistic "out", plot-wise.

Channelore HellicottAtham

• Plantmonster
  • OH GOD THERE IS A HAND INSIDE ME AAAAAAAAAUGH
« Reply #107 on: 29 Jun 2016, 00:38 »

Glad to see what others are posting in here, as Faye seemed to be getting her knickers in a twist about absolutely nothing at all and it just seemed a vehicle for reciprocal being-there-in-dark-times between her and Bubbles. Jeph is not nearly so clumsy in his storytelling and I couldn't make it out, but I'd forgotten her earlier realisation that she's not had a drink in a long time. This plus change at CoD - as well as perhaps the less offensive yet still disturbing things-doing-fine-without-you thing, though she knew that already from her previous visit - have perhaps given her Reasons. Either way I feel we're still in for a reciprocal friend in need thing..

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #108 on: 29 Jun 2016, 00:45 »

This is the self-absorbed, thoroughly unpleasant Faye of yore.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #109 on: 29 Jun 2016, 00:46 »

What's brick red, about the size of a wall, and roughly as immovable when she wants to be?

Gyrre

« Reply #110 on: 29 Jun 2016, 00:58 »

No, Bubbles, no. "fucking off" is in tho other direction!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

More seriously though, I'm genuinely both curious and invested in what happens next. I think Bubbles might consider or try to prevent Faye from buying liquor with more than just calm argumentation, and I guess that could potentially be even worse. Both my limited knowledge and limited experience of people with addictions is that if they are stopped from indulging in their addiction by an outside force, or even feel they've been forced or coerced by someone else (even if it's not true), it tends not to last.

Right now I'm kinda worried, because I don't see any possibility of this ending well in a way that wouldn't feel like an easy, unrealistic "out", plot-wise.

Hopefully Bubbles can talk Faye down. It may just be this one time. But hopefully she manages to help out.

Bubbles might even shed a bit of her armor to distract Faye (like one of her gauntlets).

Que Bubbles making an analogy between her armor and Faye's drinking.
a real-ass gaddam sword

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #111 on: 29 Jun 2016, 02:37 »

The tbing about forcibly becoming freinds with a Starship Troopers expy is that they are completely capable of physically stopping you from doing a stupid thing. And Bubbles was in the army..stopping people from being stupid is practically a full time job.

I find people often revert to their worst selves when they know they are being self destructive, or know they are screwing up.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #112 on: 29 Jun 2016, 03:57 »

This is like watching a slow-motion train wreck.

"Faye is in an emotional state I don't understand yet, so I'm going to assume the worst and project those assumptions onto her"

This is you, yes, you right now, person who I made the Red Text appear for while you were writing your comment. And you should be ashamed.

*blink* Um. Huh.

You would appear to be assuming the worst of the next poster ahead of you. How interesting.

Well there was going to be a comment there that justified it, but they saw mine pop up and ended up not posting it. You see.

It's really quite obvious what happened here.
oh god

mad hands murphy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #113 on: 29 Jun 2016, 04:15 »

Big Daddy Bubs don't need to talk or tase or any shit other than picking Faye up and carrying her home.

oddtail

« Reply #114 on: 29 Jun 2016, 04:29 »

Big Daddy Bubs don't need to talk or tase or any shit other than picking Faye up and carrying her home.

And that's the scenario that worries me. In the end, the only person that can stop Faye from drinking is Faye. Stopping her from drinking right now, while a good stopgap measure, is not enough.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #115 on: 29 Jun 2016, 04:35 »

Bubbles still has her left hand so Dora was able to talk her into starting a tab. 

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #116 on: 29 Jun 2016, 05:59 »

What's brick red, about the size of a wall, and roughly as immovable when she wants to be?

Actually, we've seen Bubbles vs The Wall. It didn't go well for the wall.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #117 on: 29 Jun 2016, 07:13 »

However this turns out, one thing is clear; it's going to suck to be Faye for awhile.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #118 on: 29 Jun 2016, 08:22 »

Ok, un-lurking one more time this century to say, "I completely agree."

Which makes me sad because she was making such great progress, too. I was actually starting to forgive the general..."horrible-ness" of her character for the last..oooo, 2,000 pages. But, I'm remaining cautiously optimistic and will reserve final judgement until I see how this shakes out. So, buckle up, all; because HERE WE GO :roll:  :lol:

freeman

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #119 on: 29 Jun 2016, 08:43 »

However this turns out, one thing is clear; it's going to suck to be Faye for awhile.
But the first few days are going to be fun, or so do I hear.
Man!

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
« Reply #120 on: 29 Jun 2016, 09:22 »

I had not noticed the comments under the last panel. Going back and reading them, I found this http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3151
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #121 on: 29 Jun 2016, 12:39 »

Could Faye be having a bad reaction to her set of square glasses without realising it? Sort of like the opposite of rose-tinted glasses?
In that case her mood might change in quite a good direction once they get smashed during the fast approaching Battle of the Bottles.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #122 on: 29 Jun 2016, 13:30 »

One odd thing is that an emotional crisis of  "Oh my god how am I still alive" proportions can often be the impetus for giving an addiction up.  Like an old gentleman who had a silver cigarette case with a Nazi swastika on it.   He had survived the Normandy Beach Invasion and picked it up off a dead enemy officer.  He was fumbling out a cigarette, turned it over and saw the swastika.  He kept it ever after as a reminder, and never smoked another. 

Morbid?  Ghastly?  Well, yes.  Strictly against regs for trophy taking?  Also yes. Had a certain kind of emotional truth about it though.

If Faye were to get narrowly missed by some kind of disaster right now, especially if it put someone else (like Bubbles) at risk, that might be the end of drinking for her.  For example if she's in the headlights of an out-of-control concrete truck but gets missed because Bubbles shoves her (or the truck) out of the way at the last second and takes the hit instead?  Yeah, that would probably do it - even if Bubbles were relatively unhurt.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #123 on: 29 Jun 2016, 13:40 »

Foots now on the other foot now considering how Faye and Bubbles met.

This is going to be interesting.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Isyrion

• Emoticontraindication
  • Burn baby Burn!
« Reply #124 on: 29 Jun 2016, 18:34 »

At first I will be honest I wasn't sure on Bubbles, but with these last two strips I have to say she has become my 3rd favorite QC character behind Hanners and Momo.  I love how she is basically you know what your my fired so if I have to get tough with you its gonna happen. 

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #125 on: 29 Jun 2016, 19:44 »

"It is non-negotiable" may be the nicest thing anyone ever said to anyone ever.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #126 on: 29 Jun 2016, 20:04 »

"Non-negotiable friendship" .... I'll have to think about that for a bit.

(Pfaaart...)
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
« Reply #127 on: 29 Jun 2016, 21:04 »

Bubbles, although professing not to be able to decide what to do, is doing the very best thing she could do.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #128 on: 29 Jun 2016, 21:08 »

Think it's sucked to be Faye ever since her father pressed the trigger.

Zastie

• Emoticontraindication
    • deviantArt
« Reply #129 on: 29 Jun 2016, 21:18 »

Geeze, Faye's expression in the 4th panel is just pure animosity. I'm hoping Bubbles simply being around will make Faye just not purchase anything.. but I'm going to lean into the belief that it won't resolve as easily as that. Like people have previously said, it's probably going to take something a bit bigger to make Faye really slow herself down and quit for good. Bubbles is really determined and probably feels heavily in debt to Faye (for self-confidence reasons) and is probably going to put herself on the line to "repay" Faye, which could lead to something rather hurtful.

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #130 on: 29 Jun 2016, 21:19 »

I don't think she's going to go through with it.  Bubbles is basically acting like an AA sponsor right now.  Just her being there and disapproving quietly and unyieldingly will probably get Faye to reconsider.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #131 on: 29 Jun 2016, 21:34 »

As someone who had OD'd three times, I can say it often takes a lot more than one case of alcohol poisoning to get someone to give up their vice. Old habits are hard to break, especially when they have a long history of helping you cope.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
« Reply #132 on: 29 Jun 2016, 21:41 »

If Faye were to get narrowly missed by some kind of disaster right now, especially if it put someone else (like Bubbles) at risk, that might be the end of drinking for her.  For example if she's in the headlights of an out-of-control concrete truck but gets missed because Bubbles shoves her (or the truck) out of the way at the last second and takes the hit instead?  Yeah, that would probably do it - even if Bubbles were relatively unhurt.
True, but that would be a horribly Contrived Coincidence. I hope Jeph is a better writer than that.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #133 on: 29 Jun 2016, 21:45 »

I know Faye went to an AA meeting once with Hannelore serving in the capacity of sponsor, but I'm not sure if she's been back since then. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #134 on: 29 Jun 2016, 22:40 »

It's a support group, but I think it's not AA in particular and that she didn't want their approach.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

mad hands murphy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #135 on: 29 Jun 2016, 22:41 »

She should just stop her.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #136 on: 29 Jun 2016, 22:57 »

This might warrant its own thread, but I'm not dedicated enough to the moment of insight for that.

The general behavior of Bubbles makes me believe that Our Benevolent Comic Overlord is good friends with a veteran.  The character is a little too accurate.  The loss of idealism, the slightly jaded view of the world, the oddly on-the-nose absence of humor, and the blend of fatalism and stoicism is all way too familiar. 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #137 on: 29 Jun 2016, 23:03 »

Bubbles, just so that your database is up-to-date, Faye's action in panel 6 is what is known as an 'immature teenage strop'.

FWIW, I don't think that Faye quite knows what to do in this situation either. However, I do think that she's going to learn that there is no more effective a brake on her behaviour than a good friend hovering nearby and glaring disapprovingly at her. She knows this on a subconscious level, of course; why would she be so determined to get her to leave otherwise?
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #138 on: 30 Jun 2016, 00:15 »

One odd thing is that an emotional crisis of  "Oh my god how am I still alive" proportions can often be the impetus for giving an addiction up.  Like an old gentleman who had a silver cigarette case with a Nazi swastika on it.   He had survived the Normandy Beach Invasion and picked it up off a dead enemy officer.  He was fumbling out a cigarette, turned it over and saw the swastika.  He kept it ever after as a reminder, and never smoked another. 

Morbid?  Ghastly?  Well, yes.  Strictly against regs for trophy taking?  Also yes. Had a certain kind of emotional truth about it though.

Sadly, not even a near-death experience is enough to get some people to stop.
a real-ass gaddam sword

wlewisiii

« Reply #139 on: 30 Jun 2016, 00:34 »

I had more than one relative who could only be stopped by death. Grandmother, Uncle,  cousins...
Emily is the Avatar.

Gyrre

« Reply #140 on: 30 Jun 2016, 00:54 »

I had more than one relative who could only be stopped by death. Grandmother, Uncle,  cousins...

A grandfather to lung cancer before I was even born. I'm told he still kept smoking.

Grandma didn't stop until some point when grandpa (her 2nd husband) started courting her nearly a decade later.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2016, 00:59 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #141 on: 30 Jun 2016, 01:26 »

My mom's a doctor.  She has a lot of elderly patients.  Some of whom have the oxygen tank under one hand and the cigarette in the other.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #142 on: 30 Jun 2016, 01:45 »

Dora tried sitting next to Faye once and shaming her by taking one Dora-drink for every Faye-drink. It was a mistake.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #143 on: 30 Jun 2016, 02:28 »

Gout didn't stop my uncle. It put him on a disability pension, and given the choice between losing the pension and losing the drink, he happily stuck with the drink. He would even boast openly about it.

The stroke did more or less stop him, but the damage was well and truly done by then, and he lasted only a few years longer.

I can't even think about it without feeling a mixture of anger, disgust, and shame.  :x
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

OttawaJohn

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #144 on: 30 Jun 2016, 03:52 »

I have no problem with the relapse, it's sadly 100% accurate.  My concern is the cause.  I really hope it's due to the changes at the shop and realizing how dark her life was, and not just 'cause Dora mentioned booze.  It's not possible that in a month she's not been tempted.  Hell, I can't watch three YouTube videos in a row without seeing an ad for alcohol.  You go to any restaurant, they hand you a drinks menu before you get a food one often.

As someone a bit sensitive to alcohol in my life, I notice it a lot. 

Just worried it'll be 'Dora said booze now I want it' as a cheap drama to make Dora feel guilty and shift the blame.  Hope not, and like to think no, but that's my concern about the storyline and has been since the final panel a week ago where Faye said she wanted a drink.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #145 on: 30 Jun 2016, 04:11 »

I suspect that Faye is feeling like she is no longer central to her friends' lives and is feeling lonely. Maybe she even feels that they've moved on without her (which is wrong - she's actually moved on as much as they have; she just doesn't like change). Like a lot of addicts, she's responding to this by going to her addiction for familiar and reassuring reflexive behaviours.
~~~~

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #146 on: 30 Jun 2016, 07:47 »

Agreed. That wouldn't stop her from childishly blaming Dora.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #147 on: 30 Jun 2016, 08:56 »

It would be in-character, though, for Dora to feel guilty, whether Faye explicitly blamed her or not. And the good vibes would end, or at least teeter precariously, at Coffee of not-quite-as-Doomy-as-Before.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
« Reply #148 on: 30 Jun 2016, 11:29 »

No crowbar required.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #149 on: 30 Jun 2016, 13:32 »

She should just stop her.

No, Bubbles has it right. Stop her now, Faye'll just go for it as soon as Bubbles' back is turned, with an extra soupcon of "I'll show you! You can't tell me what to do!" for good measure.

My biggest fear is that Drunk Faye will say something incredibly hurtful to Bubbles...but the Big Red Gal seems to have developed more resistance to that kind of thing, so it may be okay.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up