THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 17:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Stylist, stylist by your chair, which of them has the floofiest hair?

Claire
Brun
Hannelore
Renee
Marigold
Dora Rae Jepsen
Dale

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3251 to 3255 (27th June to 1st July 2016)  (Read 40763 times)

improvnerd

• Furry furrier
Re: WCDT Strips 3251 to 3255 (27th June to 1st July 2016)
« Reply #50 on: 27 Jun 2016, 19:36 »

Tuesday's strip clears things up: Bubbles was in her garden, when Faye came over and started bugging her to leave. Hannelore then tried to intercede on Bubbles' behalf.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #51 on: 27 Jun 2016, 19:43 »

I bet Marigold and Dale have been all upons it.

(No, not like that. Gracious me. You kiss your mother with that brain?  :-o)

No, with my lips.

*rimshot*

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #52 on: 27 Jun 2016, 20:34 »

Humiliated Faye doesn't so much fall of the wagon as plummet. Bubbles attempts to mediate, probably in a bar.

This could end catastrophically badly or merely disastrously badly. Hope there's a twist coming.
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2016, 23:46 by JimC »

miados

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #53 on: 27 Jun 2016, 21:08 »

you have to admire bubbles level of commitment to not being a thief.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #54 on: 27 Jun 2016, 21:41 »

No NFC or other wireless payment hardware?

I guess it wasn't at the top of the list when the Army issued requirements, and it might be difficult to add things to a body that heavily armored. Still, the other AnthroPCs have WiFi, so she could have used PayPal.

But then it wouldn't have been funny.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #55 on: 27 Jun 2016, 21:49 »

Well, this definitely is more than just a coffeeshop that stops serving cups with two spoons of scorn... Change in general must freak her out. Maybe she is starting to think that she was the source of negativity Dora is talking about. But to get pissed at this level, though? I honestly think it's kind of sad (and pathetic).

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #56 on: 27 Jun 2016, 22:11 »

I feel like this particular strip requires emotional subtitles, because Faye seems inexplicably angry now.

miados

« Reply #57 on: 27 Jun 2016, 22:14 »

I feel like this particular strip requires emotional subtitles, because Faye seems inexplicably angry now.

she stops working there and everyone feels happy and there is almost no hate she is probably wondering if all the hate was her. or maybe i dunno im not her. I just think maybe she is wondering if all the bad parts of the coffee shop were her fault and is freaking out that it might be more than just the coffee shop that is worse because of her.

I might be looking to much into it but considering i have tried to do horrible things to myself and if i was in her shoes seeing everyone being happier and such with me gone...... yeah.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #58 on: 27 Jun 2016, 22:46 »

The shop didn't crash-and-burn without her, and Faye can't handle that. I saw this all the time at my old job when retired Key Employees would pop in for a visit and tell us exactly how we'd gone to hell in a handbasket without them around running things. And then I had to remind myself to not be That Guy, myself.

EDIT: Additionally, Hannelore -- Hannelore, one of the kids! -- stood up to her. That's going to rock a Faye back on her heels.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #59 on: 27 Jun 2016, 23:14 »

I honestly think it's as simple as "My Universal Constant Has Been Changed". Also Dora reminding her of alcohol. Bad mix.

Also... has... has Bubbles done this before?
oh god

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #60 on: 27 Jun 2016, 23:29 »

When I saw angry Faye today and Doras excuse, my first thought was that Faye is in a bad temper because she was reminded of her alcohol addiction and because she feels bad about craving a drink right now.

But you all have a good point here. Maybe she really sees that things are running smooth, succesful and friendlier without her, which gives her a feeling of beeing a negative (= bad) person. And that´s what makes her want to start drinking again.
And the thing is, she´s not completely wrong here. Not in beeing a bad person of cause, but in being a source of negativity for CoD. Her scorn and sassiness have been a key feature of the ambiente of the shop. With her gone the shop and it´s attitude change, which is only natural. Dora is a grown-up person. And an attitude of sassiness as a business model will get her only so far. Personally and business-like. She has realised that and reacts accordingly.

Dora has moved on. And it´s time for Faye to do the same. Put the past where it belongs: to the memorys. And get on with her own life.

To quote Gunnerkrigg Court again:

"And now the world will continue to spin."

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #61 on: 27 Jun 2016, 23:30 »

I guess it wasn't at the top of the list when the Army issued requirements, and it might be difficult to add things to a body that heavily armored. Still, the other AnthroPCs have WiFi, so she could have used PayPal.

It is quite possible that CoD is cash only.  Such businesses still *do* exist.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #62 on: 27 Jun 2016, 23:34 »

Faye is responding to her revelation on Friday by trying to run away from it. Eventually, Faye is going to have to stop running away. She's been running away - from her father's suicide, from her own unresolved relationship problems and her alcoholism - for a while. I'm hoping that Bubbles will, from her own bitter experience, try to communicate just how wretched a life it is to spend your life running and hiding from your demons.

Meanwhile, Dora is doing the right thing. Accepting body parts in lieu of payment would set a precedent that, given the grotesques that populate QC, she doesn't want to have to deal with!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Storel

« Reply #63 on: 27 Jun 2016, 23:49 »

It is quite possible that CoD is cash only.  Such businesses still *do* exist.

Except the title of the strip is "They Also Accept Paypal".

Zastie

• Emoticontraindication
    • deviantArt
« Reply #64 on: 27 Jun 2016, 23:50 »

Well, I hope that little outburst was just because of multiple different things aggravating her at once and is just a temp. thing. It'd suck for Dora and Hannelore to feel bad about trying to do the right thing.

Storel

« Reply #65 on: 27 Jun 2016, 23:53 »

Also... has... has Bubbles done this before?

She repairs robots for a living, so yes, I'm sure she has done this before. Although not necessarily to herself.

skatecyclelee

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #66 on: 28 Jun 2016, 00:25 »

I don’t know why it took me so long to notice that Faye went back to her old square glasses. She had the round ones in 3205 but the reverted to the square ones at the beginning of this arc in 3238.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #67 on: 28 Jun 2016, 00:56 »

Except the title of the strip is "They Also Accept Paypal".

Yeah, but that'd require paying attention.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #68 on: 28 Jun 2016, 01:31 »

TBH I often ignore the title.

It's usually (as it is today) a punchline to the last panel, and so makes little to no sense when you start reading. Therefore, I got used to not bothering to read it. Only rarely do I think to glance back at it once I'm done reading the comic.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #69 on: 28 Jun 2016, 02:01 »

I also used to miss the title, but now I usually check it after reading Jeph's little remarks at the bottom.

Today's, incidentally, is relevant: "Bubbles doesn't have a credit card, she finds the concept offensive"

I can actually see a number of reasons why an AI might not like digital payment methods. I consider these remarks canon until proven otherwise. :wink:

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #70 on: 28 Jun 2016, 02:30 »

I consider these remarks canon until proven otherwise. :wink:

I mean, they're basically the word of god, albeit a god who changes his mind occasionally and reserves the right to retcon anything. I can't think of any examples, but I'm sure they exist/will one day exist.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #71 on: 28 Jun 2016, 04:02 »

The shop didn't crash-and-burn without her, and Faye can't handle that. I saw this all the time at my old job when retired Key Employees would pop in for a visit and tell us exactly how we'd gone to hell in a handbasket without them around running things. And then I had to remind myself to not be That Guy, myself.

EDIT: Additionally, Hannelore -- Hannelore, one of the kids! -- stood up to her. That's going to rock a Faye back on her heels.

Good thing Penelope wasn't there.  I don't know if she could handle knowing the girl she press ganged into working there now has her old job.  While I can understand that Faye may be feeling that she was a toxic influence that harmed the shop more than helped it seems more like her not being the right fit for her old job and better at her new.   Hopefully, Bubbles can make her realize that because if the shop was still being run the old way she'd never feel welcome enough to have her little tea parties.   

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #72 on: 28 Jun 2016, 04:05 »

Faye wants a drink. Really wants a drink. And she knows she shouldn't have one. So she needs a scapegoat to blame when she falls off the wagon. Dora is the most convenient one at the moment. Therefore she must get angry at Dora so that she can justify the drink she is about to go buy.

Yeah, there's still a logical disconnect there, but Faye is in a hurry and doesn't have time to come up with something airtight.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #73 on: 28 Jun 2016, 04:12 »

I'm sticking with my earlier post that Faye is trying to run away from CoD because she's hoping that if she runs away from the place where she realised that she still has a craving for alcohol, then she'll somehow run away from the craving. It's entirely an irrational, emotional reaction but you can't blame her for having it.

I suspsect that Bubbles will now have the chance to return the favour of that time Faye talked her out of her funk when she had slurs thrown at her in the street. A hug, in other words.
~~~~

blue5

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #74 on: 28 Jun 2016, 04:52 »

I think, the thought of alcohol brought up the bad memories of the place and she needed to get some space. In many ways bubbles will help faye the same way she helped her.

Wildroses

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #75 on: 28 Jun 2016, 05:24 »

I'm looking forward to the next comics because I'd like to see if Faye is more upset because the Coffee of Doom changed without her permission, or if she's having a meltdown because now she wants a drink. I honestly can't tell right now.

mad hands murphy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #76 on: 28 Jun 2016, 05:25 »

This is how bubs says "I'm gonna punch you in the face" when she doesn't wanna say "I'm gonna punch you in the face"

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #77 on: 28 Jun 2016, 06:57 »

Humiliated Faye doesn't so much fall of the wagon as plummet. Bubbles attempts to mediate, probably in a bar.

This could end catastrophically badly or merely disastrously badly. Hope there's a twist coming.
It would be an interesting co-inkydink if Faye and Bubbles end up in a bar that Brun has just gotten a job at...
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

comicalArchitect

« Reply #78 on: 28 Jun 2016, 07:22 »

I really hope Faye goes to Marten about this. They're (or at least used to be) best friends, and they haven't had any interaction in a good while.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #79 on: 28 Jun 2016, 07:24 »

How does a computer forget something like a wallet?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #80 on: 28 Jun 2016, 07:31 »

The way it forgot my term paper that one time in high school
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #81 on: 28 Jun 2016, 07:37 »

That's a fascinating question and it reveals just how sophisticated and human-like the AIs minds actually are. Bubbles was so focussed on facing her fears and her insecurities that she didn't have sufficient processing power to run any kind of checklist about the things she needed for the trip; she had to focus all her resources on just forcing herself to get her coat and go out with Faye.

In some ways, that's not to different to how the same process occurs in humans. The data is there and, if there's a sufficient associative 'nudge' it will pop into the conscious mind. However, if our focus is elsewhere, we miss things like this.
~~~~

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #82 on: 28 Jun 2016, 08:52 »

I'd be interested to see the customers' view on the changes to the cafe. In earlier comics you'd sometimes get people coming in specifically for the quirk of being sassed/abused by the staff (or to spar with Faye, in Angus's case) so I'm curious to see whether they'd welcome the more friendly atmosphere or share Faye's view that the cafe's appeal is in its negativity.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
« Reply #83 on: 28 Jun 2016, 09:25 »

I also used to miss the title, but now I usually check it after reading Jeph's little remarks at the bottom.

Today's, incidentally, is relevant: "Bubbles doesn't have a credit card, she finds the concept offensive"

Where did you find that?
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #84 on: 28 Jun 2016, 09:47 »

Directly under the bottom right panel of the comic.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

mad hands murphy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #85 on: 28 Jun 2016, 12:27 »

She has her wallet. "I forgot my wallet" is a backhanded robot term for "fuck you meatbag, you made my buddy mad."

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #86 on: 28 Jun 2016, 12:51 »

void remember_wallet(wallet w)
{
    //to be implemented at a later date.
     return;
}
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #87 on: 28 Jun 2016, 13:05 »

She has her wallet. "I forgot my wallet" is a backhanded robot term for "fuck you meatbag, you made my buddy mad."

Nah, she's looking for it in her jacket, and I think it's usually Faye who pays in the CoD, or Hanners gave her the tea for free the last time.

Faye's anger: Well, everyone basically told her: Everything's better without her. The negativity/sassiness her thought was a great appeal to the shop was enjoyed by nobody but her (although Dora, in the beginning of the comic, was way worse than Faye). She was way more disposable than she thought. And then she gets shushed by Hanners, when she wants to talk to her friend; said friend (basically) also tells her to shut up. And she wants a drink.

No wonder she's a short with Dora; she does try to keep it in check though, by telling her stuff's 'fine'. I don't think she blames Dora for anything, or wants to vent her anger at her; she's just not good at hiding her frustration.  (Frustration I can understand very well, when you're first ignored and then told to shut up by your friends)

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #88 on: 28 Jun 2016, 13:17 »

Even if she had a credit card, most places have a minimum amount to use one. One cup of tea would not be so much (unless it's very expensive tea)
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #89 on: 28 Jun 2016, 16:39 »

I think the short short answer is, "person, not computer." Emergent life forms (IIRC), not designed and coded by humans.

Happens to be implemented on computer hardware, but prone to many of human kind's foibles, including forgetting stuff.

You may as well ask, "How does a computer feel illogical emotions?"
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #90 on: 28 Jun 2016, 17:10 »

I think it's more a case of Faye having to face up to how things were back in CoD when she was there and everything that lead up to her winding up in Hospital with Alcohol Poisoning.  I think it was a sudden 'Reality Check' kinda moment after all she's been through.  We all know how Faye has issues dealing with such checks.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #91 on: 28 Jun 2016, 19:26 »

"I must apologize for this, Faye, but you leave me no choice.  Initializing Tony Stark Defense Mode!"
*Explosion of whirring and clicks*
"WHAT THE HELL."
"As you may have noticed, my chassis is largely hollow inside, and can, under certain conditions, reassemble into an armored exoskeleton and envelop a human body in order to keep it from harm--external, as was its original purpose on the battlefield, or, in your particular case, self-induced.  I hope you are not experiencing any discomfort at present."
"So, you're telling me..."
"Yes, Faye, you are inside me right now."
"Oh, Tai's gonna have a field day with this."
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2016, 19:34 by Gladstone »
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #92 on: 28 Jun 2016, 19:39 »

"Faye is in an emotional state I don't understand yet, so I'm going to assume the worst and project those assumptions onto her"

This is you, yes, you right now, person who I made the Red Text appear for while you were writing your comment. And you should be ashamed.
oh god

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #93 on: 28 Jun 2016, 19:55 »

Bubbles may have experience with this. Alcoholism is known to happen in the military.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #94 on: 28 Jun 2016, 20:01 »

This is like watching a slow-motion train wreck.

"Faye is in an emotional state I don't understand yet, so I'm going to assume the worst and project those assumptions onto her"

This is you, yes, you right now, person who I made the Red Text appear for while you were writing your comment. And you should be ashamed.

*blink* Um. Huh.

You would appear to be assuming the worst of the next poster ahead of you. How interesting.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #95 on: 28 Jun 2016, 20:23 »

I guess Bubbles could physically block the liquor store entrance.

*in sports team coach voice*
"Come on, Bubbles, you can do this. Be the wall."
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #96 on: 28 Jun 2016, 20:33 »

I guess Bubbles could physically block the liquor store entrance.

*in sports team coach voice*
"Come on, Bubbles, you can do this. Be the wall."

If Bubbles fails, send her to Stamford Bridge. They'll teach her how to 'park the bus', properly.

miados

« Reply #97 on: 28 Jun 2016, 21:07 »

part of me wants the next bit to be faye being legitimately emotional and crying.  Another part of me wants her to be thrown over bubbles shoulders and forcibly dragged away.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #98 on: 28 Jun 2016, 21:11 »

Part of me wants to see Bubbles tasing Faye to stop her drinking.

Another part of me wants to see Faye getting tased by Bubbles to stop her drinking.

Then there's a third part of me that just wants to see someone getting tased in the comic.

Wildroses

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #99 on: 28 Jun 2016, 21:23 »

Disappointing but realistic. Very few people manage to stay off the drug of choice when they decide to stop. But there is still hope Bubbles will talk her out of it. Faye has seen Bubbles at her worst and lowest point so I am optimistic she'll be able to do the same for Faye now.

Kind of hope that Faye talks more about her mindset and motivation in the obvious confrontation coming.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up