Faye sees everything red, white and blue-shifted
Faye gets convinced not to take a drink by Bubbles
Marten finds out about Faye's drinking - and is disappointed
Marten finds out about Faye's drinking - and beats her ass
Marten finds out about Faye's drinking - and Claire beats her ass
Pintsize slips Bubbles a few Bitcoin after convincing Faye not to drink
CorpseWitch finds out Faye was drinking on the job - and fires her
Bubbles then fires CorpseWitch into orbit
Hah ha ha ha... like Jeph's going to do any of that?
Waffles, spathe ham, and maple syrup
Purple Monkey Dishwashers on Elephants
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3256-3260 (4-8 July 2016)  (Read 53488 times)

Zastie

• Emoticontraindication
    • deviantArt
Re: WCDT Strips 3256-3260 (4-8 July 2016)
« Reply #250 on: 08 Jul 2016, 17:58 »

I think brun will work at the robot fighting arena. A bar at a fighting pit? Now things will pick up!
Hmm, I'm not too sure how well that would mix (pun) with them trying to remain under the radar. Also I don't really know how many of the AI would drink.

blue5

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #251 on: 08 Jul 2016, 18:08 »

If i had to guesstimate, the qc season finale will be coffee of doom versus the other coffee shop (if she is in fact the owner). Dora will enlist the help of faye and her welding skills to build a catapult. Martin will provide the metal track. And pintsize and wilson will livestream.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #252 on: 08 Jul 2016, 18:27 »

I think brun will work at the robot fighting arena. A bar at a fighting pit? Now things will pick up!
Hmm, I'm not too sure how well that would mix (pun) with them trying to remain under the radar. Also I don't really know how many of the AI would drink.

Not to mention I don't think Jeph will subject Faye to such temptation right in her backyard.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #253 on: 08 Jul 2016, 18:33 »

If i had to guesstimate, the qc season finale will be coffee of doom versus the other coffee shop (if she is in fact the owner). Dora will enlist the help of faye and her welding skills to build a catapult. Martin will provide the metal track. And pintsize and wilson will livestream.

She's not the owner; Jim is.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #254 on: 08 Jul 2016, 18:42 »

So yes, I'm in the "Don't walk away Renée, but dial it down a few notches, OK?" camp.

+5 Oldies points for the "Walk Away, Renee" reference!
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2016, 18:51 by Storel »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #255 on: 08 Jul 2016, 20:17 »

If i had to guesstimate, the qc season finale will be coffee of doom versus the other coffee shop (if she is in fact the owner). Dora will enlist the help of Faye and her welding skills to build a catapult. Marten will provide the metal track. And Pintsize and Winslow will livestream.

Fixed.

Kids, public service announcement from a non-mod: after you read the rules of the board, make sure you read the Wiki to get the characters' names right, 'kay?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #256 on: 08 Jul 2016, 20:50 »

I was wondering when the castaway crossover was happening...
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

blue5

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #257 on: 08 Jul 2016, 20:58 »

Forgot jim is the owner.  Its been a while.

Had to turn off aurocorrect. It kept insisting its martin and not marten.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #258 on: 08 Jul 2016, 21:53 »

An epic coffee shop battle with catapults ... that's a kind of wackiness that used to be a regular part of QC but that we haven't seen for a while. It would be a delight to see Jeph try something like that.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #259 on: 08 Jul 2016, 22:25 »

... Renee is like that kid on the playground who got upset when her best friend wanted to play with other kids ...

Like Sal and Marcie in that other webcomic. (the one about butts)
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #260 on: 09 Jul 2016, 06:51 »

I don't see her as being jealous or territorial, just overprotective. That's a trait I can identify with. I tend to be fiercely protective of my friends too, especially the more vulnerable ones. The organizing things for her part less so, I barely have my own shit together let alone someone else's.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #261 on: 09 Jul 2016, 07:42 »

Like Sal and Marcie in that other webcomic. (the one about butts)
All webcomics are about butts.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

blue5

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #262 on: 09 Jul 2016, 07:46 »

Being careful is a good trait, but being there to help them when they fall is almost as important as before the fall. If they don't make mistakes they never learn.

Except relationships, its terrible to meddle or interfere at any stage. Theat is between the 2 partners to solve, no one else.

Larm Hargraven

• Not quite a lurker
  • I make movies for fun
« Reply #263 on: 09 Jul 2016, 09:05 »

Like everyone else is saying, Renee may just want to make sure Brun is being independent as soon as possible. Which, hey, is great, but the process of doing so is all wrong. Everyone in defense is stating that Brun waking at 2pm is a bit late and Renee simply wants to get her moving, but the glaring problem is that Renee had to have snuck in and altered Brun's alarm clock without her knowing. This is a high-noon tale of Manipulation 101, conscious of the fact or not.

A better way Renee could have gone about this is asking the night before for Brun to wake up so they can prepare for the day, but that didn't go. On that, in less than 30 seconds she's dropping three MAJOR tasks on Brun without warning. Finding a job is already one doozy to accomplish, but before that she has to apply for the unemployment paperwork AND a new apartment at the same time. Renee, even if unaware of Brun's 'routine,' isn't going to help a whole lot. Now this is a fictional world, Jeph could have Brun be appreciative of it all, which can happen in real life, too. But I'm inclined to believe that in the real world, with someone like Brun, they'd be pretty unhappy to have all of this happening without warning. We saw how she reacted to the unexpected burning of her work and home, so thrusting a new sleep schedule and those three tasks might shut her down, too.

Again, Renee may be acting out of kindness in her heart, but her way of going about it is the problem. I've had people help me before through this manner and it's a really crummy feeling because you feel tricked by this person, but can't be mad because 'they're trying to help.' At the same time, you then also feel down because you think people have to lie to get you moving, which is the opposite of the fact.

And even with all that pushed aside and bundled under the excuse of 'Renee and Brun are friends, this is normal.' I want to point out that, again, Bruns whole life burned to the ground pretty recently still. The recovery process is a step-by-step thing and starting one day, out of nowhere, without a heads up, to get to starting on rebuilding your WHOLE life in one morning is ridiculously daunting and requires a little bit of narcissism or selfishness to not realize it's daunting to someone.
My name isn't actually Larm Hargraven.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #264 on: 09 Jul 2016, 09:58 »

I think Renee is in the wrong and for the same reasons you mentioned, but there are people who process loss by plunging themselves totally into high-energy practical repair work.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #265 on: 09 Jul 2016, 10:23 »

Yeah, that's how my dad works. The thinking seems to be "If I fix everything fast enough I won't need to emotionally process the loss." It doesn't actually work, though.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #266 on: 09 Jul 2016, 10:58 »

Off comment: You know, with Dora actively trying to improve her life, she can make up with Sven. None of her problems had to do anything with Sven. I really hated that Dora and Faye were demonizing his life. He is actually the most grounded of most of the cast. I am hoping that Martin and Dora get back together and have a better relationship.

I agree with this. What has Sven ever actually done wrong? Kind of reminds me of Joe from Dumbing of Age - readers demonize him for having casual sex with women whereas no one in this readership would have the same reaction toward a female character that casually sleeps with men (Raven, anyone?).

He's never done anything non-consensual, he doesn't try to lie or manipulate women into thinking that he's offering a relationship. He otherwise seems like a perfectly alright person who never did anything to deserve being cut off by his own family member, and Dora has definitely been in the wrong (in my opinion) this entire time.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #267 on: 09 Jul 2016, 11:21 »

Off comment: You know, with Dora actively trying to improve her life, she can make up with Sven. None of her problems had to do anything with Sven. I really hated that Dora and Faye were demonizing his life. He is actually the most grounded of most of the cast. I am hoping that Martin and Dora get back together and have a better relationship.

I agree with this. What has Sven ever actually done wrong? Kind of reminds me of Joe from Dumbing of Age - readers demonize him for having casual sex with women whereas no one in this readership would have the same reaction toward a female character that casually sleeps with men (Raven, anyone?).

He's never done anything non-consensual, he doesn't try to lie or manipulate women into thinking that he's offering a relationship. He otherwise seems like a perfectly alright person who never did anything to deserve being cut off by his own family member, and Dora has definitely been in the wrong (in my opinion) this entire time.

Sleeping with Gina Riversmith despite knowing that Faye expected monogamy from him and then planning not to tell her about it.  (This one can be argued about whether Faye had any right to expect monogamy, but that's a whole different debate.  She told him she was leaving if he slept with another woman, and he slept with another woman and planned to cover it up so she wouldn't leave.)
The whole "Faye I love you fall into my arms despite already having a boyfriend" incident.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #268 on: 09 Jul 2016, 11:38 »

There was also trying to get Marten to run interference because he didn't want to deal with an ex.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #269 on: 09 Jul 2016, 11:41 »

Yeah, no one much cared about Sven's behaviour, though some no doubt harboured some resentment over the Genevieve/VespAvenger incident, until he messed around on Faye.

So, what did Sven ever do? Knowingly messed around with Faye, planned to cover it up, and, as Penquin said, lapsed into nice-guy™ douchebaggery with his "but I love you, therefore you should fall into my arms, despite our history and your current committed relationship" bit.
Oh and almost got Marten killed that one time.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #270 on: 09 Jul 2016, 11:44 »

Oh and almost got Marten killed that one time.

Marten would have been rather chill about the whole dying bit, though.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #271 on: 09 Jul 2016, 11:57 »

On Sven: I think it's pretty clear that Jeph's intent was to portray him as in the wrong with Faye, and while he's not a terrible person (no one in the comic besides Beatrice and maybe Corpse Witch is), he's not perfect. And "most grounded of most of the cast"?! He EXPECTED FAYE TO LEAVE HER CURRENT BOYFRIEND TO BE WITH HIM. NOTHING about that is "grounded".

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #272 on: 09 Jul 2016, 12:25 »

Genevieve got two-timed without her consent.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #273 on: 09 Jul 2016, 15:18 »

Can you really sneak into your own living room?

The other thing I was thinking about: Brun's routine is great, but I imagine if you're an early riser with your own shit to do, having to tip toe around your living room must be really inconvenient. If Brun wanted to sleep til 2, she should've taken Renee up on the bedroom offer.

Fen

• Emoticontraindication
  • Pregrinating flâneur
    • Blog!
« Reply #274 on: 09 Jul 2016, 16:56 »

The thing is that Brun has been shown to be, well, somewhat prone to going catatonic. This kind of inaction is really easy to get into. Coping means that you will miss deadlines and do that thing where you spend way too much time waiting before moving on.

I definitely see why Renee sounds overbearing here, but I would do the same for *some* of my friends, and I wish more people had done this to me in the past when I fell into depression. Renee has known Brun for longer than we have. She could be just pushing her because she's needy, or she could be pushing her since she's obviously her closest friend and she knows that if she doesn't then Brun will not move from that couch for a month.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #275 on: 09 Jul 2016, 17:10 »

On Sven: I think it's pretty clear that Jeph's intent was to portray him as in the wrong with Faye, and while he's not a terrible person (no one in the comic besides Beatrice and maybe Corpse Witch is), he's not perfect. And "most grounded of most of the cast"?! He EXPECTED FAYE TO LEAVE HER CURRENT BOYFRIEND TO BE WITH HIM. NOTHING about that is "grounded".

I'm not entirely convinced Corpse Witch is terrible.  She's certainly manipulative and underhanded, but she might be looking out for Bubbles in the same misguided way Renee is looking out for Brun.  Perhaps she's an older AI who had to deal with a lot of human prejudice and it's had a lasting impression. 

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #276 on: 09 Jul 2016, 23:18 »

Agreed on Corpse Witch.  Her tired, "I told you so," tone even before things happen is one I recognize all too well.

And that makes me sad.
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

heyjames4

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #277 on: 10 Jul 2016, 04:54 »

I don't think we have enough context for renee/brun interactIon to conclude anything. We're sympathetic to Brun for loss, because we saw it. And to her atypicality, because we see ours OUrselves. Renee isn't coming of in a good light so far. But I'm going to have to see more before I judge her bad.

blue5

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #278 on: 10 Jul 2016, 05:59 »

I think more grounded before the faye relationship. He can be a backside sometimes but i felt the asking faye to fell for him while in a relationship was out of character. You van even say faye has beenna negative impact.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #279 on: 10 Jul 2016, 11:49 »

"Out of character" ... You've got something there. It might have been old Sven the pickup artist coming back but it's more likely that he's developed actual feelings and has no practice managing them. If so then it's out of character, because his character is changing.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #280 on: 10 Jul 2016, 15:25 »

... if she doesn't then Brun will not move from that couch for a month.
Whatever the situation anyone who is cheerful at me like that one minute after I've been woken up two hours earlier than I was expecting is not going to get a positive response.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #281 on: 10 Jul 2016, 19:11 »

So I just now read the text at the bottom of last Friday's comic, and isn't all fan-fic at least somewhat about the author inserting themselves, into the narrative if not as characters? I write fiction a plenty, and I often find myself writing me as the male characters, not intentionally, but still.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up