THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What Would You Like to See Happen to Marten?

Marries Claire and threatens to give Faye tooth decay from their familial bliss
Smif's music professor likes his blog and he becomes a famous music journalist
Makes Deathmřle a big hit and runs off to live the Rock & Roll lifestyle
Through a bizarre series of events, ends up becoming the guardian to a pair of wise-cracking pre-teen twins
Has a 'Thirteenth Floor'-style adventure that proves Hannelore was right - It IS a simulation
Finally gets to be the action hero he failed to be in the Vespavenger saga
Accidentally runs for Congress and ultimately becomes the fifth head on Mt Rushmore
Gets put on the bus somehow and no-one seems to mention him anymore
GUEST STRIP SHENANIGANS!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3266 to 3270 (18th to 22nd July 2016)  (Read 28651 times)

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: WCDT Strips 3266 to 3270 (18th to 22nd July 2016)
« Reply #50 on: 20 Jul 2016, 10:56 »

Okay, those of you who couldn't resist googling duck penises -- what's the big deal? No pictures, please.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
« Reply #51 on: 20 Jul 2016, 11:01 »

There is one duck species where the male can use it penis to lasso a female.

Edit: link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_duck
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #52 on: 20 Jul 2016, 11:12 »

Okay, those of you who couldn't resist googling duck penises -- what's the big deal? No pictures, please.

Answer in spoilers so those who don't want to know don't have to.
(click to show/hide)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #53 on: 20 Jul 2016, 12:27 »

Answer in spoilers so those who don't want to know don't have to.
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2016, 15:54 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #54 on: 20 Jul 2016, 13:41 »

I'm with May on this one, if I randomly became a mobile Pokemon Go hub without my knowledge I'd be surly too.  Not to mention the AI Rights implications.

Then again they may have offered it to her and she agreed, just to sucker people into her Abuse Radius.  :-P
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #55 on: 20 Jul 2016, 15:07 »

What really got to me was the mismatched corkscrew shapes.

The males are clockwise spiral, the females counterclockwise, apparently, the better to resist rape attempts.  When the female tightens the muscles that in humans would be called 'Kegels' the tissues become rigid and penetration is impossible.  Males on the other hand have developed that lightning-fast evert-and-ejaculate technique to facilitate rape; they try to get penetration before the females become aware of the attempt and tighten up those muscles. 

Man, ducks are screwed up. And . um. Down, apparently.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #56 on: 20 Jul 2016, 18:31 »

Whoda thunk it - Elmer Fudd was right - Ducks are screwy and Rabbits are rascally.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #57 on: 20 Jul 2016, 23:46 »

New Comic! -- By David Willis; quite a luminary!

Today, Pintsize finally meets his match. It's the unexpected downside of being able to hack into Wi-Fi streams and interface directly with cloud apps like that: you've entered the world so you've got to accept what the world does to you - A crotch kick and a spanking in this case. :-D

I doubt that Pintsize will learn his lesson; he's too resilient to common sense for that!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #58 on: 21 Jul 2016, 00:18 »

Operative word is trying because it looks like he's getting fucked in the last 3 panels. 

KOK

« Reply #59 on: 21 Jul 2016, 00:21 »

I looked up Clefairy. Its special power is to make other pokemon fall in love with it. This only works on the opposite gender, though.

Morituri

« Reply #60 on: 21 Jul 2016, 00:44 »

Well that seems unnecessarily  heteronormative.  It seems like the people who make this thing could at least follow normal population demographics and make about 7% gay and another 7% or so bi. 

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #61 on: 21 Jul 2016, 01:16 »

Then again, Pokemon was created 20 years ago in the depths of some game dev studio in Japan. I'm almost surprised there are female pokemons.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

KOK

« Reply #62 on: 21 Jul 2016, 01:23 »

The gender restricton is what makes it sexual love. Without it, it could be the kind of love you feel for a pet.

blue5

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #63 on: 21 Jul 2016, 04:47 »

I am not surprised that there are female pokemon. The devs make stuff on what the demographic likes. There is no conspiracy.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #64 on: 21 Jul 2016, 04:54 »

The history of gender in Pokémon is interesting; limitations on the part of the game engine only allowed for genders to be introduced in the 2nd generation games (Silver and Gold versions). Prior to that, the only way to have gender was to have totally seperate evolutionary trees (Nidoran, for example, and the later Mr Mime/Jynx and Miltank/Taurus).

What I find interesting is that, whilst the male Nidoran is larger than the female, the female starts off with far more offensive moves. I wonder what that says about the Japanese cultural attitude towards the female gender as a philosophical concept?
~~~~

Squiddlywinx

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #65 on: 21 Jul 2016, 06:29 »

Marigolds in excess.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #66 on: 21 Jul 2016, 07:04 »

The gender restriction is what makes it sexual love. Without it, it could be the kind of love you feel for a pet.

Considering who I regularly have sex with, I'm going to have to call BS on this one.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #67 on: 21 Jul 2016, 08:28 »

The gender restricton is what makes it sexual love. Without it, it could be the kind of love you feel for a pet.

You might want to check that. Because sexual love happens regardless of gender.

Morituri

« Reply #68 on: 21 Jul 2016, 09:11 »

Then again, this is a game about BREEDING monsters. 

So maybe the people who wrote it think it doesn't count unless it produces offspring.

Pokemon Go is a mess.  Bulgarian kids have been chasing them in minefields, a couple of people walked off cliffs while looking at their phones instead of where their feet were going, people after Pokestops have done breaking & entering, they've interrupted funerals, there've been car crashes where people were trying to get to monsters that had appeared nearby, the Holocaust Museum has had its lectures & ceremonies interrupted, some cathedral in Boston has continually had problems with people breaking in, a couple of trespassing kids got shot, somebody fired a rifle at a car in Florida where they thought the people inside were drug dealers looking for a stash of dope, (but he was a lousy shot, thank goodness; he only got one of the tires).

This game seems like about fifty lawsuits waiting to happen. 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #69 on: 21 Jul 2016, 09:17 »

I figure that Nintendo are going to end up looking at the business end of a nine-figure class action lawsuit for negligence and failure of duty of care. It wouldn't surprise me if the game were closed down for a few months until their people can rewrite the servers with 'red zone' databases of danger areas where it shouldn't indicate capures are available and the like. I also expect that there will be a revised EULA that will be about a thousand pages long and basically be the first time a company has tried to indemnify itself against the real world/virutal world confusion that some games seem to breed in players.

Even then, it will be a case of 'shutting the door after the horse has bolted' and Pokémon Go may turn out to be a fiancial and legal disaster no matter how much money it makes.
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2016, 09:33 by BenRG »
~~~~

Morituri

« Reply #70 on: 21 Jul 2016, 09:24 »

Incidentally, as someone who has worked with livestock way more than I'd have liked to, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that homosexuality is not a human invention. 

Idiots have ranted about how homosexuality is unnatural.  That is unbelievably clueless.  What would be unnatural, seriously, would be for it to NOT happen at all. 

It's like lying without wearing a tie.  Sure, most of the time people who have to lie to get their job done wear ties as a warning to everyone else.  But it doesn't mean they aren't allowed to tell the truth sometimes, and it doesn't mean nobody else gets to lie.  The world just ain't that simple.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #71 on: 21 Jul 2016, 09:32 »

I don't really buy too many of those stories... There was a news story here recently about two people crashing their cars while playing Pokemon Go. The article conveniently left until the end the little fact that they were both drunk (because unfortunately, in Wisconsin a drunk driver wrecking their car isn't news).
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #72 on: 21 Jul 2016, 09:51 »

The trouble being with those stories.. Most of them are not cases where Ninendo or Niantic are at all responsible. Playing a game does not excuse the player for not being safe or breaking the law. That's on the player. Even in cases where people are not breaking the law but are being disruptive, that's still on the player. The case where Pokemon were found in the Holocaust Museum is true, and Niantic probably would be better off re thinking some areas as no go zones for matters of safety and respect. But on the other hand, if someone quietly captured the pokemon there, didn't make a scene and didn't complain about it there would be no problems. And it could possibly get people to go to places they normally wouldn't go like museums and learn new things. More than anything else, that seems to be the big advantage to Pokemon Go. Getting people to leave their comfort zones and explore the world around them.

KOK

« Reply #73 on: 21 Jul 2016, 10:58 »

You might want to check that. Because sexual love happens regardless of gender.
I know. My point still stands.

KOK

« Reply #74 on: 21 Jul 2016, 11:02 »

The gender restriction is what makes it sexual love. Without it, it could be the kind of love you feel for a pet.

Considering who I regularly have sex with, I'm going to have to call BS on this one.

I do not understand that. I am gay myself, if you really must know. What has that got to do with anything? This Pokemon is always straight. That would not matter if the "love" in question was not the sexual kind.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #75 on: 21 Jul 2016, 11:05 »

Your post comes off as 'Only straight sex counts'. That's why people are being hostile to you. Because you made it a general statement, not specifically related to Pokemon breeding. Remember that other people can't actually read your mind and don't know your intent beyond what you actually type out.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #76 on: 21 Jul 2016, 11:44 »

Most of them are not cases where Ninendo or Niantic are at all responsible. Playing a game does not excuse the player for not being safe or breaking the law. That's on the player. Even in cases where people are not breaking the law but are being disruptive, that's still on the player.
That is doubtless the company's spin. However to my mind ethically that position is at best grossly irresponsible, and morally highly dubious. Obviously you disagree.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #77 on: 21 Jul 2016, 12:38 »

So maybe the people who wrote it think it doesn't count unless it produces offspring.

Pokemon Go is a mess.  Bulgarian kids have been chasing them in minefields, a couple of people walked off cliffs while looking at their phones instead of where their feet were going, people after Pokestops have done breaking & entering, they've interrupted funerals, there've been car crashes where people were trying to get to monsters that had appeared nearby, the Holocaust Museum has had its lectures & ceremonies interrupted, some cathedral in Boston has continually had problems with people breaking in, a couple of trespassing kids got shot, somebody fired a rifle at a car in Florida where they thought the people inside were drug dealers looking for a stash of dope, (but he was a lousy shot, thank goodness; he only got one of the tires).

And last week, three guys bumbled into a live fire exercise on NATO's Bergen-Hohne Training Area in the Lüneburger Heide.   :psyduck:
(Note that in that training area "live-fire exercise" can include Tanks doing realistic battle drills ...)
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #78 on: 21 Jul 2016, 14:45 »

Most of them are not cases where Ninendo or Niantic are at all responsible. Playing a game does not excuse the player for not being safe or breaking the law. That's on the player. Even in cases where people are not breaking the law but are being disruptive, that's still on the player.
That is doubtless the company's spin. However to my mind ethically that position is at best grossly irresponsible, and morally highly dubious. Obviously you disagree.

Or people could actually take responsibility for their own actions.  This is why end user agreements are a book long. 

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #79 on: 21 Jul 2016, 15:05 »

If companies were held liable any time someone did something stupid, dangerous, or illegal while using their products, there would be damned few companies left making things.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #80 on: 21 Jul 2016, 15:12 »

Then you get stupid Lawsuits like the McDonalds Coffee one.  I think it's gonna take someone buying the farm in a spectacular way and taking several others with him or her before anything really serious is done.

Somedays I just wanna smack Pintsize

With a 60lb Sledgehammer.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

blt

« Reply #81 on: 21 Jul 2016, 17:28 »

Then you get stupid Lawsuits like the McDonalds Coffee one.

I've come to understand that the McDonald's Coffee case was a bit more legitimate than most people believe.  The coffee wasn't just hot, but obscenely hot. The fact that we think it's so frivolous is just good spin by McD's part.

Source: http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

On PokemonHo, I don't think they're legally liable for what stupid people do while playing the game.  e.g. With all the trouble and fatalities we're having with texting and driving are phone hardware companies, telecom providers, or app creators being held liable?  What about drinking?  Surely the liquor companies should take responsibility for the property damage, assaults, trespassing, drunk driving casualties that happen when people use their product?  Or maybe they're morally bankrupt too.

At the end of the day people are responsible for their own actions. Will they make some updates to make things safer?  Probably, that's a responsible business practice, but they're not accountable for careless people.[/rant]

Edit: because my phone went wonky partway through posting. I should sue.
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2016, 17:34 by blt »

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #82 on: 21 Jul 2016, 19:10 »

Then you get stupid Lawsuits like the McDonalds Coffee one.  I think it's gonna take someone buying the farm in a spectacular way and taking several others with him or her before anything really serious is done.

Somedays I just wanna smack Pintsize

With a 60lb Sledgehammer.

Actually, the coffee was so hot it fused her labia together. It was not at all a frivolous law suit.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #83 on: 21 Jul 2016, 21:57 »

Second degree burns, man. Burned through the skin and into the tissue beneath. People like to point and make fun, but once you've seen the photos of the damage that coffee did, you're not going to say anything about that lawsuit being frivolous, especially considering she didn't ask for nearly as much money as she got.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #84 on: 21 Jul 2016, 22:13 »

Yes.  She should have known the coffee was hot.  And if it had been served at the appropriate temperature, it would have hurt for a bit and then she'd be fine.  But it was served at a dangerously high temperature, and McDonald's knew that it was far too hot for safety, and didn't care.  Because if it's kept hot it tastes fresh longer.  The woman who sued wanted legal fees and medical costs.  It's the jury that decided that McDonald's was so irresponsible they had to be hit for punitive damages as well.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #85 on: 22 Jul 2016, 00:15 »

I sit corrected

And nice jpb Jeph.  Your own Guest Comic on your own Comic  :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #86 on: 22 Jul 2016, 00:18 »

Who is the Jeph Jacques guy? Jeez! Talk about getting a random someone to do a guest strip! :wink:

Seriously, someone needs to sit Marigold down and deprogram her of this idea that membership of a guild or clan in a game does not affect who you are in real life! She's going to ruin the best things in her life if she doesn't learn this.

Normally, I'd suggest Momo for the job but, based on today's strip, she's sort of given up trying.
~~~~

Morituri

« Reply #87 on: 22 Jul 2016, 00:31 »

Second degree burns, man. Burned through the skin and into the tissue beneath. People like to point and make fun, but once you've seen the photos of the damage that coffee did, you're not going to say anything about that lawsuit being frivolous, especially considering she didn't ask for nearly as much money as she got.

Boo fuckin' hoo.  I've had second degree burns over a good 10% of my body, at least three times, just from working all day outdoors without sunscreen.  It was high altitude and mean ol' mister sun can get vicious if you don't have a good thick bit of atmosphere over you.  And yeah, it sucks.  My skin over that area was effectively all blisters, I got dehydrated a lot, everything that touched it hurt for the next three weeks,  my muscles under it hurt like crazy all the time, and once it started healing it was itchy and I didn't dare scratch it. It left a little scarring, and even the part that healed "right" has a whole bunch of freckles it didn't have before. 

I didn't sue anybody.  I just stayed indoors for a week and cursed my poor judgment. Which, now that I think about it, is about the same thing my dad did when he got hit by lightning.  Anyway, my dad quit fixing fences when a storm was coming in, and I quit going up into the mountains without a tube of sunscreen.  Call it a learning experience and leave it at that. 

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #88 on: 22 Jul 2016, 01:07 »

Who is the Jeph Jacques guy? Jeez! Talk about getting a random someone to do a guest strip! :wink:

Seriously, someone needs to sit Marigold down and deprogram her of this idea that membership of a guild or clan in a game does not affect who you are in real life! She's going to ruin the best things in her life if she doesn't learn this.

Normally, I'd suggest Momo for the job but, based on today's strip, she's sort of given up trying.

When they were with different factions of World of Warcraft they hadn't met yet.  Now that they're in a relationship she might have expected Dale to join whatever team she's on since Pokemon Go is a current thing.  And Dale is lucky because even though that was a compliment the implication is that Marigold's butt needed exercise. 

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #89 on: 22 Jul 2016, 02:14 »

Does this strip qualify as canon?
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #90 on: 22 Jul 2016, 02:18 »

I'd say 'no'; Jeph actually describes it as a guest strip in his Twitter feed and says that the regular (canon) strips will resume on Monday.
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #91 on: 22 Jul 2016, 04:04 »

Boo fuckin' hoo.  I've had second degree burns over a good 10% of my body, at least three times, just from working all day outdoors without sunscreen.  It was high altitude and mean ol' mister sun can get vicious if you don't have a good thick bit of atmosphere over you.  And yeah, it sucks.  My skin over that area was effectively all blisters, I got dehydrated a lot, everything that touched it hurt for the next three weeks,  my muscles under it hurt like crazy all the time, and once it started healing it was itchy and I didn't dare scratch it. It left a little scarring, and even the part that healed "right" has a whole bunch of freckles it didn't have before. 

I didn't sue anybody.  I just stayed indoors for a week and cursed my poor judgment. Which, now that I think about it, is about the same thing my dad did when he got hit by lightning.  Anyway, my dad quit fixing fences when a storm was coming in, and I quit going up into the mountains without a tube of sunscreen.  Call it a learning experience and leave it at that.

:psyduck:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #92 on: 22 Jul 2016, 04:42 »

Well that seems unnecessarily  heteronormative.  It seems like the people who make this thing could at least follow normal population demographics and make about 7% gay and another 7% or so bi.
I hope you'll forgive my ignorance. But, isn't it ~8 or 9% that's bisexual? (Blame people who don't cite sources on tumblr.)

And out of curiousity, are there any estimates for asexual, and pansexual percentages?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #93 on: 22 Jul 2016, 05:07 »

I haven't walked as much as Marigold has. Just eight miles every day this week except yesterday, because I draw the line at walking in a giant storm when most of the city is flooded.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Gyrre

« Reply #94 on: 22 Jul 2016, 05:25 »

At the risk of sounding like a crotchety old man, I'm pretty sure that the lawsuits with injured players as plaintiffs will likely be thrown out on the grounds of "you should have been paying attention to your surroundings." 
Lawsuits against Pokémon Go players will likely stand.

Seriously people, think about what you're doing a little harder.
* Don't play while driving.
* If there's a locked door or a closed gate, don't bother with that Pokémon.
* Read signs before entering an area.
* Listen for lectures, services, and the like.
* Be respectful.
* And stay out of cemetaries. (At least after 4pm. Most lock their gates around 5pm.)

EDIT: I should specify that I specifically meant lawsuits against Nintendo/the Pokémon Go devs.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2016, 05:31 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

KOK

« Reply #95 on: 22 Jul 2016, 06:17 »

I don't know how those special areas that attract many Pokemon Go players are placed, but whoever does it should be more careful. Not far from where I live, people are walking into a building site, night and day,  because such an area is there. Sooner or later someone will get hurt.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2016, 23:39 by KOK »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #96 on: 22 Jul 2016, 06:19 »

And no matter how rare that Pokemon may be, do NOT go into the parking lot of a correctional institution to try to capture one.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #97 on: 22 Jul 2016, 06:25 »

Seriously people, think about what you're doing a little harder.
I really *do* wish that people would do that.  I *do* think that it'll get better when the game has been out longer and that the player base is a bit more clueful.

* And stay out of cemetaries. (At least after 4pm. Most lock their gates around 5pm.)
I'm not sure about other cities, since I haven't been to (most) of their cemeteries after dark, but I have been seeing Pokemon and Ingress players in the local one after about 2200 (hell, I went to grab some portal keys at about 22:30 last night).  The main gate is locked, but it *does* have a big sign on it to use the other ingress (couldn't resist) during off hours.  I don't know if Pokemon has changed things, but I have been told by others that the local police told them that even though it was technically against a city ordinance to be driving around through there to do it anyway since they liked the extra eyes. 

Thankfully, I haven't seen any player of either game traipsing over/playing on gravestones.

That said, I'm expecting something to happen within the county at some point.  I'm aware and pretty damned careful, but I am quite cognisant of how many traffic laws I break every day knowing that since I'm on a bike and will get away with it.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

blt

« Reply #98 on: 22 Jul 2016, 07:32 »

I don't follow the logic here at all. How is you not having the presence of mind to put on sunscreen and harming yourself equivalent to a company wilfully doing something that endangered their consumers just to protect their bottom line, thereby seriously harming one of their customers even sort of equivalent?

And who would you even sue?  The sun?

Morituri

« Reply #99 on: 22 Jul 2016, 08:27 »

There are a whole population of people who experience second-degree burns several times during our lives and aren't particularly impressed. 

The reaction around Boulder to "Second degree burns" was "what, she got some blisters and now she never has to work again for the rest of her life?  That happens to dozens of people I know every year.  It's even happened to me a few times.  It's not a life-changing experience or even particularly traumatic, how the hell did anybody decide it was worth that?"

And yea, it mostly happens "for the sake of somebody's bottom line."  You go up to work, you realize after an hour or two that you forgot sunscreen, you know you'll be fired if you don't fix the damn fences anyway, and you finish the job before you go back.  Business as usual, sucks to be you.  If you don't want to deal with that kind of thing, don't ever start doing farm and ranch work.  I've also gotten stomped by bulls and cut up by barbed wire for the sake of somebody's bottom line. If you don't want to consider second degree burns for the sake of somebody's bottom line to be entirely normal, then lucky for you you weren't born there.

I don't think it's particularly reasonable for anybody to get a million bucks (literally, a living wage for life just off of interest payments!) for anything that leaves them able-bodied and not permanently disfigured.  Hell, the guy who lived down the road from me got his arm torn off by a baler and he had to go on disability worth substantially less than what that twit got for her lap full of hot coffee. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up