THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

THREE VOTES: It's Snowing Again! What was the most important or memorable event in the past in-universe year?

The Dorapocalypse
The Claireten Arc
The Fayepocalypse (Being fired and the aftermath)
The Faye + Angus character arc
Dora's healing with Tai's help
The Space Station Arc
Veronica moving to Northhampton
The greater focus on the AIs and their distinct views and society
Other (Please specify)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3326-3330 (10th to 14th October 2016)  (Read 21685 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Just something that occurred to me last week: It was in the 1300s and 1400s strips (including the drink-sledding) when Northampton was last under a blanket of snow. Now, in strip 3325, the snow has returned. So, in the past 1900 or so strips of the past full in-universe year, what was the most significant to you (in either story terms, character terms or just personal enjoyment)?

As for me? I've got to say that it has been the increasing focus on AIs and their unique society and viewpoints (especially shown through May, Momo and Bubbles). However, I'd have to say that it was a near-run decision for me.

The second slot for me is The Space Station Arc, which was pretty much the highpoint of Hannelore's character arc where we see just how far she's come and just how much she has healed. The third is  is occupied by Claireten (a relationship that is plotted out as such a normal relationship in comedic story that it becomes a testament to inclusivity).

Onto the possible direction of this week's strip: I'm seeing an Elliot/Brun date in the near future, probably played for laughs about the whole mad social song-and-dance of human romantic interest. However, that's further along. I'm expecting more cute Elliot stuttering and stumbling and poor Brun just not getting it. Let's face it; can anyone blame her for being confused?

FWIW, I think it is likely that Renee will end up losing her temper and ordering them to go out with each other, if only to get it out of Elliot's system so he can function again!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT Strips 3326-3330 (10th to 14th October 2016)
« Reply #1 on: 09 Oct 2016, 16:38 »

One major story was The Pugnacious Peach confronting herself and moving forward.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Clubman8

• Plantmonster
  • Probably will never post enough to seem not new.
« Reply #2 on: 09 Oct 2016, 20:53 »

Brun is directly supportive of Elliot's job. This is always a good sign.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 09 Oct 2016, 20:59 »

Hopefully, there will be an opening at the Horrible Revelation, but if it's only part time then Brun will have to find a second job to get enough income to afford an apartment. 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #4 on: 09 Oct 2016, 23:12 »

So, on top of everything else, Elliot seems to be the context-specific equivalent of an UFC fighter? Or maybe even a gladiator? I'm wondering what insights he might have into the mindset of the robot fighters at the arena?

It seems strangely obvious in hindsight that bouncers and bar owners in the surreality of the QC universe would make a regulated sport out of bar brawls. It's clear that Brun knows all about it and is impressed that Elliot made the regionals! Someone needs to tell us where The Horrible Revelation placed that year! Maybe Brun will tell Elliot's boss that she wants to work there because she wants to be in a winning team in the future?

Meanwhile, poor Renee is just coming to terms with the fact that the universe is irreparably weird. I suspect that she's going to leave Elliot and Brun in peace in their strange parallel bar staff universe.
~~~~

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #5 on: 09 Oct 2016, 23:20 »

I get the impression that the competition is how well bouncers handle bar brawls, not the brawling itself.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #6 on: 09 Oct 2016, 23:23 »

Looking at the poll ... scratching my head... I have to say... that's been one very busy year!

Granted that many of the arcs involved different characters, but there was quite a bit of overlap. Dora and Marten in particular had three arcs apiece, I think.

And wait, wasn't Marten/Padma in this same year? Had to be, since Marten was talking about Padma while on the space station, no?

Is it possible that one of the time skips (was there more than one?) skipped over a winter?

Maybe this version of Northampton has just had some very very mild winters for the past few years. :D
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2016, 23:29 by Sullivan »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #7 on: 09 Oct 2016, 23:41 »

If Elliot cringes anymore, he's going to fold in on himself and create a Singularishy.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2016, 00:10 »

Maybe this version of Northampton has just had some very very mild winters for the past few years. :D

It's Massachusetts, written by a Massachusetts native. I can't see Jeph being able to write 'mild winter' without breaking down into hysterical laughter that won't subside for weeks!
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2016, 06:41 »

We've had at least one time skip. Who's to say that it hasn't been two years in comic?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2016, 07:37 »

The more I see Elliot stutter and cringe around Brun, the more I wonder how thus guy can be a successful bouncer. How can the quiet confidence he shows on the job not translate to other areas of his life? Especially since in my experience, guys I've known who were this bad (or worse!) around women suffered from a general lack of confidence that screwed up their entire lives.

Even Marten's better with women than this, despite the spectacular crash-and-burns we've seen him go through.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2016, 09:35 »

Our very introduction to Elliot was him moping over Padma and struggling to do anything about it. His awkward silence with Hanners is related to his tendency to quietly loom. He's not a very confident conversationalist, and being terrible with women is a crucial part of his character.

But it's a lot easier to be confident with people who you don't care about. When chucking someone out the door, you WANT them to see you as the big bad guy, and you want them to know you're capable of hurting them. Easy. Elliot is fine with that on the job, but is desperate not to be seen that way by those he is trying to befriend, and is not always successful (see: Marten flinching from a high five). Elliot's eternal dilemma is that he doesn't want to be stereotyped as a big brute, but has a job that reinforces the image.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2016, 10:37 »

It's entirely likely that he doesn't have to interact all that often with people during his bouncer job. Not in any kind of extended manner like he does at the bakery or while trying to figure out how to flirt with someone. The Horrible Revelation doesn't seem like much of a dive bar. Most of his job probably involves politely suggesting that the group of frat boys trying to get in might find a place more suited for them to drink down the block.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2016, 11:27 »

Interacting with relative strangers with whom he has little or no emotional connection is one thing. Interacting with a girl on whom he is crushing is something else. There is a stake that makes it that much harder to overcome your insecurities.
~~~~

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2016, 14:11 »

We've had at least one time skip. Who's to say that it hasn't been two years in comic?

If there was a time jump of two years Samantha would look significantly different.  Since she's still a child so she ages more noticeably than everyone else. 

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 10 Oct 2016, 14:18 »

I wonder who they lost to in the Regionals?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #16 on: 10 Oct 2016, 14:59 »

Hey, it doesn't say they lost. Regionals was just the event where the chair was blocked.
The most we know is that they got to regionals, not where they went from there.
The unseen fifth panel could just as easily be Elliot correcting Brün's assumption…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #17 on: 10 Oct 2016, 16:57 »

I wonder who they lost to in the Regionals?

The Nasty Whale, of course. I mean, the Horrible Rev team has better uniforms, but I hear the Whalers have this chick who throws a harpoon!
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #18 on: 10 Oct 2016, 17:01 »

heh heh heh
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #19 on: 10 Oct 2016, 18:26 »

Saying they went to regionals can lead one to infer that's as far as they got. Had they won, one might say "they went to state." Then again, if you're talking Indiana basketball, chair throwing used to be the exclusive province of the coach.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #20 on: 10 Oct 2016, 18:34 »

This fuckin' town.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #21 on: 10 Oct 2016, 18:50 »

All I have to say that is "la li lu le lo la le li la lu lo!"
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

TheEvilDog

« Reply #22 on: 10 Oct 2016, 18:56 »

Next we'll find Marten missing an eye, his left arm replaced with a prosthetic and a chunk of metal lodged in his forehead.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #23 on: 10 Oct 2016, 19:09 »

I think LaLeLuLeLo is the Raindeers' name now.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #24 on: 10 Oct 2016, 20:29 »

Interesting to see that Hanners is annoyed instead of being shocked.  Of course Pintsize riding a reindeer probably isn't the weirdest thing she's seen, perhaps not even the weirdest thing she's seen this week.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #25 on: 10 Oct 2016, 23:16 »

This is the point when Hannelore realised that what Faye has long claimed is true: Northampton is irredeemably weird. There's no point getting upset about this; just let it roll off of you like water off of a duck's back and get on with your life.

FWIW, all I can say to Pintsize at this point is: "Nice hat."

P.S.
Is GTR (Grand Theft Reindeer) a thing?
~~~~

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #26 on: 11 Oct 2016, 01:18 »

I haven't seen an old-style mechanical coin-in-slot parking meter in forever. Are they still a thing in the USA?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #27 on: 11 Oct 2016, 01:44 »

I haven't seen an old-style mechanical coin-in-slot parking meter in forever. Are they still a thing in the USA?

Sure, particularly in smaller towns. There are also "halfway" types that take either coins or some sort of payment card. The latter could be a regular credit card or a prepaid card dedicated to the parking meter system, or a more general prepaid card that might also work in the city's transit system, or etc. The US is very much not monolithic in such things.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #28 on: 11 Oct 2016, 02:01 »

My new policy of never carrying change backfired badly when I visited a town where they governed every parking place.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #29 on: 11 Oct 2016, 04:03 »

It probably means I'm a bad person, but the poor fairy girl desperately chasing the reindeer whilst pathetically trying to keep up her "la le lu li lo" was a genuinely laugh out loud moment.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #30 on: 11 Oct 2016, 04:04 »

Interesting to see that Hanners is annoyed instead of being shocked.  Of course Pintsize riding a reindeer probably isn't the weirdest thing she's seen, perhaps not even the weirdest thing she's seen this week.

I don't know if she was all that annoyed, but shrugging off the run-of-the-mill weirdness.  And even if she was I don't know why since it doesn't appear like anyone is making a mess.  It is interesting that in spite of the people she works and hangs out with she doesn't causally swear. 

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #31 on: 11 Oct 2016, 05:07 »

It probably means I'm a bad person, but the poor fairy girl desperately chasing the reindeer whilst pathetically trying to keep up her "la le lu li lo" was a genuinely laugh out loud moment.

When even your happy place is trying to get away from you.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #32 on: 11 Oct 2016, 06:58 »

I'm pretty sure that's just all she's capable of saying. A permanent "omelette du fromage" state, if you will.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #33 on: 11 Oct 2016, 07:37 »

Yes, Northampton is full of them. A few parking lots have the "pay at machine/display ticket on dashboard" system, but most on-street parking here is still coin-op. I've had to go back to keeping a roll of quarters in my car since I moved here.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #34 on: 11 Oct 2016, 08:34 »

I'm pretty sure that's just all she's capable of saying. A permanent "omelette du fromage" state, if you will.

Nope, you're forgetting the time when Emily "caught" her.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

TheEvilDog

TheEvilDog

« Reply #37 on: 11 Oct 2016, 12:45 »

I don't see how.

The letters L and R as they are in English, do not exist in Japanese. But a Japanese R is pronounced in the same way as the English L. It is merely used as a tool to teach people how to pronounce the Japanese vowels.

The page I linked to actually explains that, as you would probably have noticed had you followed the link and read the page.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #38 on: 11 Oct 2016, 13:08 »

The more I see Elliot stutter and cringe around Brun, the more I wonder how thus guy can be a successful bouncer. How can the quiet confidence he shows on the job not translate to other areas of his life? Especially since in my experience, guys I've known who were this bad (or worse!) around women suffered from a general lack of confidence that screwed up their entire lives.

Even Marten's better with women than this, despite the spectacular crash-and-burns we've seen him go through.

I used to have HUGE problems with social anxiety, and the main reason had to do with not knowing my "role". General social situations... my role is unclear. When I was working in public with an actual "job" to do, I knew EXACTLY what I was supposed to be doing, so I felt more comfortable.

I actually survived doing conventions with a general fear of crowds by staffing them, giving me a role to fill. And eventually I worked it down to controllable even without having a specific job I needed to do.

Most of my fear came from not knowing what I should be doing. Once I knew that, it was pretty easy.

Storel

« Reply #39 on: 11 Oct 2016, 15:27 »

I don't see how.

The letters L and R as they are in English, do not exist in Japanese. But a Japanese R is pronounced in the same way as the English L. It is merely used as a tool to teach people how to pronounce the Japanese vowels.

The page I linked to actually explains that, as you would probably have noticed had you followed the link and read the page.

Yup, it does:

Quote from: Hiragana Lesson 8
So how to pronounce らりるれろ? If you are not after perfect accent, my easy answer is to pronounce them as English "la, li, lu, le, lo".

Is that not exactly what Fairy Girl is saying?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 11 Oct 2016, 15:29 »

Northampton - Ya gotta love the town for its hijinks  ;D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #41 on: 11 Oct 2016, 15:51 »

The letters L and R as they are in English, do not exist in Japanese. But a Japanese R is pronounced in the same way as the English L.

The consonant concerned can sound like either L or R, in between, or sometimes even pretty much like a D. 

I can hear (when they occur closely) that a D sound and the L/R sound which is like a D are actually different; but I can't isolate what is the same in the L/R/D sounds which is presumably what the native-speaking Japanese ear is actually attuned to, even though I know how they are produced physically.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #42 on: 11 Oct 2016, 17:21 »

That beast's feet -- is it walking, trotting, cantering? What? Maybe pacing? (the camel is a natural pacer, which is why the Ship of the Desert can make you seasick.)
Google is my friend: "Reindeer have a relatively high-stepping gait combined with a trot, so their gait is a combination of that of a horse with a camel."
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #43 on: 11 Oct 2016, 18:43 »

Nope, you're forgetting the time when Emily "caught" her.
I had! Thank you.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Clubman8

• Plantmonster
  • Probably will never post enough to seem not new.
« Reply #44 on: 11 Oct 2016, 19:11 »

Next we'll find Marten missing an eye, his left arm replaced with a prosthetic and a chunk of metal lodged in his forehead.
Dammit, I wanted to make the Metal Gear joke!

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #45 on: 11 Oct 2016, 20:45 »

I used to have HUGE problems with social anxiety, and the main reason had to do with not knowing my "role". General social situations... my role is unclear. When I was working in public with an actual "job" to do, I knew EXACTLY what I was supposed to be doing, so I felt more comfortable.

I actually survived doing conventions with a general fear of crowds by staffing them, giving me a role to fill. And eventually I worked it down to controllable even without having a specific job I needed to do.

Most of my fear came from not knowing what I should be doing. Once I knew that, it was pretty easy.
Joining a games club and getting into RPGs was my way of dealing with social situations.
As wall flowers went I was wall paper.
I have pretty much learned to "act the role" in day to day life for various situations but every once in a while I am at a loss.
[the terror is still there somewhere though it is locked down pretty secure most of the time]
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #46 on: 11 Oct 2016, 23:04 »

It's been too long since we had a "dhaaaaaaaawwww" moment.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #47 on: 11 Oct 2016, 23:26 »

That's the most fundamental sign of the changes that have taken place at Coffee of Doom: Tai and Dora can be sweet with each other without worrying about Faye complaining about it triggering a toothache or something.

They are sweet together but I'm not sure what's happening in the last panel. Doesn't Tai like being called cute? Or does Dora have a habit of indicating that she has a fairly low trigger bar for lusting after someone?
~~~~

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #48 on: 11 Oct 2016, 23:51 »

Possibly the first time we have  seen Tai do something that wasn't just for her.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #49 on: 12 Oct 2016, 00:06 »

They are sweet together but I'm not sure what's happening in the last panel. Doesn't Tai like being called cute? Or does Dora have a habit of indicating that she has a fairly low trigger bar for lusting after someone?

Explaining the joke will just kill it, so I'll refrain.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up