Ask about hair.
Pound Pintsize.
Squash spiders in the basement.
Get Awkward with Elliot.
Purple Monkey Dishwashers
Something Completely Different
Speculate wildly!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: Strips 3336-3340 (24-28 October 2016)  (Read 30881 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT: Strips 3336-3340 (24-28 October 2016)
« Reply #100 on: 27 Oct 2016, 20:04 »

That said, she's a bright girl.

She's certainly quite switched on.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #101 on: 27 Oct 2016, 20:18 »

What I'm wondering from this series is.. just how strong is that couch of theirs? Bubbles couldn't sit in the usual chairs at the Coffee of Doom without breaking them. But she's been on the couch for a while without it even groaning.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #102 on: 27 Oct 2016, 20:25 »

That couch has been through a lot worse.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #103 on: 27 Oct 2016, 20:45 »

If that couch were going to groan it would have a long time ago.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #104 on: 27 Oct 2016, 21:25 »

With Pintsize around they need industrial strength furniture.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #105 on: 27 Oct 2016, 21:55 »

So it just occurred to me, but are the QC characters all just really short?  Looking at Bubbles in relation to the door behind her when she has Marten touch her abs, she has to be around or a tad over seven feet tall (going by the average doorframe height of ~7').  Marten's more or less standing straight up in panel 3, but he only comes up to her chest.  Rough estimation, but if Bubbles is 7', that means Marten's only about 5'1"-5'4", with Faye being about similar height.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #106 on: 27 Oct 2016, 23:16 »

This is another strip that I had to sit down and think about. Bubbles has clearly decided that letting people into her personal space is a way of reassuring them that she is non-threatening. I'm also wondering if she's mentally assembling a list of things that humans incorrectly assume about her chassis; the 'slinky full of ball-bearings' is two-for-two at the moment.

I'm also hoping at this point that Bubbles makes a comment about Marten and Faye being like siblings in their interactions and similarities; that is certainly something that strikes me on occasion.

So it just occurred to me, but are the QC characters all just really short?

Gotta say that I'm voting 'art error' here.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #107 on: 27 Oct 2016, 23:29 »

With Pintsize around they need industrial strength furniture.
It'd have to be. I wouldn't be surprised if it were held up with cinder blocks.

Though, on the note of strength, what floor do Marten and Faye live on, and how strong is the building's floors?
I'm fairly certain Bubbles has mentioned how much her chassis weighs.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #108 on: 27 Oct 2016, 23:47 »

Efficiency is her middle name  ;)

A classic moment of friend bonding ensues. :)

And as for the couch it's probably made of Ironwood :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #109 on: 27 Oct 2016, 23:48 »

It's safer than letting Emily hit her with a mallet. 

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #110 on: 28 Oct 2016, 00:14 »

So it just occurred to me, but are the QC characters all just really short?  Looking at Bubbles in relation to the door behind her when she has Marten touch her abs, she has to be around or a tad over seven feet tall (going by the average doorframe height of ~7').  Marten's more or less standing straight up in panel 3, but he only comes up to her chest.  Rough estimation, but if Bubbles is 7', that means Marten's only about 5'1"-5'4", with Faye being about similar height.

IIRC earlier Bubbles has been said to be 8ft tall, which probably covers everything over 7ft6in. So I suspect that "the doorframe rose to the occasion" (read: Jeph may have copy/pasted a convenient background shot). Somebody here once collected a lot of data concluding that Hanners is the tallest of the girls (Bubbles and Emily had not been introduced at that point) at about 5ft9-10in. Marten is about the same height, Sven something like 6ft2-3in and Elliot may be 6ft5in. I would guess that Dale is also over 6ft - at least he's very climbable.
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2016, 05:39 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #111 on: 28 Oct 2016, 00:15 »

So, looking forward to next week, anyone care to speculate on what this preview image in Jeph's Twitter feed might be about?

(click to show/hide)
~~~~

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #112 on: 28 Oct 2016, 02:09 »

Bubbles realises that her Abs() have a positive value.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #113 on: 28 Oct 2016, 05:53 »

Bubbles realises that her Abs() have a positive value.
Grrrrooooooaaaaannnnnnnn......

Sent from my Nextbook

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #114 on: 28 Oct 2016, 06:20 »

I like the detail that Bubbles' idea bulb is a modern energy saving kind.
Uhm, those things were so last year and then some.
Heck they were out of date when they were pushed on the mass market as energy saving, which overall they are not if you include their production.
Also they are a major environmental hazard due to toxic phosphors, mercury and the high levels of UV emitted by the cheaper ones. Also they tend to burst into flame at the most inopportune times.

LED lighting systems when implemented correctly are huge energy savers and way brighter than you would expect.
I replaced all the bathroom bulbs last week [kinda broke one and couldn't find a replacement] and boy am I glad I have a high quality dimmer on that light fixture.
Room went for something out of a Bogart film to a clean room inspection suite.
Now I have to repaint the walls or go with wallpaper because you now you can see every [censored] flaw and blemish..... on the walls dammit.

Grrrrooooooaaaaannnnnnnn......
Sent from the floor joists
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #115 on: 28 Oct 2016, 08:58 »

Yes, but the problem with LED bulbs is that they look pretty much like old-fashioned light bulbs on the outside. So if Jeph drew one of those the joke wouldn't as clear as it is with a compact fluorescent bulb.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #116 on: 28 Oct 2016, 09:57 »

Bubbles's number on the Kinsey scale is imaginary.
I would have thought it was complex
(click to show/hide)
Ah, but do you have a t-shirt that makes such a claim? I have a zazzle link where you can buy a t-shirt that reads, "My number on the Kinsey scale is imaginary."
http://www.zazzle.com/my_number_on_the_kinsey_scale_is_imaginairy_t_shirt-235664311861500216

Also, all complex numbers are at least partly imaginary. How can something be both real and imaginary at the same time? That's a complex question. (as well we a complex number.)
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #117 on: 28 Oct 2016, 10:21 »

Yes, but the problem with LED bulbs is that they look pretty much like old-fashioned light bulbs on the outside. So if Jeph drew one of those the joke wouldn't as clear as it is with a compact fluorescent bulb.

One of the lollipop-style ones might have worked visually.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #118 on: 28 Oct 2016, 14:59 »

Mmmmmm lollipops - Hey, threes Kojak! 

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #119 on: 28 Oct 2016, 17:09 »

LED lighting systems when implemented correctly are huge energy savers and way brighter than you would expect.
They're not exactly inexpensive though. A couple of months ago, I got a quote to replace the ceiling track-lights in my kitchen with compatible LED spots, and the cost was over A$1000 (supply only - I could fit them myself). There were cheaper units, but they would have required me to remove the track, get in an electrician to rewire, and make good the ceiling, so the overall cost would have been much higher.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

TheEvilDog

« Reply #120 on: 28 Oct 2016, 21:41 »

They're not exactly inexpensive though. A couple of months ago, I got a quote to replace the ceiling track-lights in my kitchen with compatible LED spots, and the cost was over A$1000 (supply only - I could fit them myself). There were cheaper units, but they would have required me to remove the track, get in an electrician to rewire, and make good the ceiling, so the overall cost would have been much higher.

Yes, but I imagine what you save over time offsets the cost of getting the LEDs.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #121 on: 29 Oct 2016, 01:13 »

the cost was over A$1000 (supply only - I could fit them myself).

That seems a lot; I've paid about twice that to replace all the lights in the house, including fittings where necessary.

Yes, but I imagine what you save over time offsets the cost of getting the LEDs.

When I replaced the lighting in our most-used room, the consumption fell from 600W to 48W.  Next time we sent in a meter reading, the electricity company queried it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #122 on: 30 Oct 2016, 18:20 »

Now add a 70-year-old house and 50-plus-year-old cantankerous owner who likes things as they were to the mix, and you have my dilemma.

However, to be fair, LED technology has come a long way in the last decade.  I am SLOWLY changing.  Why, I just upgraded to a push button phone!  I'm so progressive!
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #123 on: 31 Oct 2016, 02:08 »

Now add a 70-year-old house and 50-plus-year-old cantankerous owner who likes things as they were to the mix, and you have my dilemma.

However, to be fair, LED technology has come a long way in the last decade.  I am SLOWLY changing.  Why, I just upgraded to a push button phone!  I'm so progressive!

I can relate. My house (which I inherited from my late parents) is about 90 years old, and sometime back in the Nineties my father had most of the overhead light fixtures replaced with flourescent lights (the old-fashioned kind with 4-foot long tubes), presumably to save electricity. Unfortunately, they don't really save much; each of those 4-foot tubes uses about 40 watts, and all the light fixtures have at least 2, sometimes 4 tubes in them. Ironically, now if I want to use bulbs that save much more electricity like CFLs or LEDs, I'll have to hire an electrician first to remove the fluorescent fixtures and reinstall standard fixtures. *sigh*

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #124 on: 31 Oct 2016, 04:56 »

The ironic thing about energy efficient light bulbs is that, if you are in a building with thermostat controlled heating, then as soon as the heating is on all the energy saved from incandescent bulbs goes straight on the heating bill, since that energy doesn't go into thin air, but is simply dissipated as heat. So energy savings are rather less than the  headline values would have you believe. On the other hand, if you have airconditioning, the incandescent light heat goes straight onto the cooling bill, so in that case the savings are probably greater than headline cost.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #125 on: 31 Oct 2016, 06:31 »

Ironically, now if I want to use bulbs that save much more electricity like CFLs or LEDs, I'll have to hire an electrician first to remove the fluorescent fixtures and reinstall standard fixtures. *sigh*
I got compatible LED replacements* for a roomful of 4ft and 5ft fluorescent tubes - no rewiring needed!
(you can optionally short out the ballast if you're VERY SURE that nobody will ever put a real fluorescent tube back)

*Chinese made, "Emprex" brand. I expect they aren't the only ones
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Gyrre

« Reply #126 on: 31 Oct 2016, 17:12 »

I like the detail that Bubbles' idea bulb is a modern energy saving kind.
Uhm, those things were so last year and then some.
Heck they were out of date when they were pushed on the mass market as energy saving, which overall they are not if you include their production.
Also they are a major environmental hazard due to toxic phosphors, mercury and the high levels of UV emitted by the cheaper ones. Also they tend to burst into flame at the most inopportune times.

I replaced all the bathroom bulbs last week [kinda broke one and couldn't find a replacement] and boy am I glad I have a high quality dimmer on that light fixture.
Room went for something out of a Bogart film to a clean room inspection suite.
Now I have to repaint the walls or go with wallpaper because you now you can see every [censored] flaw and blemish..... on the walls dammit.

Climate alarmism seems to have had the opposite effect as the environmentalism movement would have wanted. But that's what tends to happen when movements get hijacked by industrialists (see "carbon credits scandal(s)")
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #127 on: 31 Oct 2016, 18:34 »

I can relate. My house (which I inherited from my late parents) is about 90 years old, and sometime back in the Nineties my father had most of the overhead light fixtures replaced with flourescent lights (the old-fashioned kind with 4-foot long tubes), presumably to save electricity. Unfortunately, they don't really save much; each of those 4-foot tubes uses about 40 watts, and all the light fixtures have at least 2, sometimes 4 tubes in them. Ironically, now if I want to use bulbs that save much more electricity like CFLs or LEDs, I'll have to hire an electrician first to remove the fluorescent fixtures and reinstall standard fixtures. *sigh*
All hope is not lost - One of my brothers-in-law works with light message systems and one of the products he installs is an LED replacement for the tubes that keeps the fixtures but pulls out the ballast and original mounts. He usually only puts in two for the old 4 lamp fixtures because they are so dang bright. For domestic installations the better dimmers are compatible as well so you can save even more on operating costs while limiting the electrical headaches.

Storel

« Reply #128 on: 01 Nov 2016, 15:47 »

I got compatible LED replacements* for a roomful of 4ft and 5ft fluorescent tubes - no rewiring needed!
(you can optionally short out the ballast if you're VERY SURE that nobody will ever put a real fluorescent tube back)

*Chinese made, "Emprex" brand. I expect they aren't the only ones

All hope is not lost - One of my brothers-in-law works with light message systems and one of the products he installs is an LED replacement for the tubes that keeps the fixtures but pulls out the ballast and original mounts. He usually only puts in two for the old 4 lamp fixtures because they are so dang bright. For domestic installations the better dimmers are compatible as well so you can save even more on operating costs while limiting the electrical headaches.

Sweet! It never occurred to me that there might be LED replacements for the old fluorescent tubes. Thank you both!

Given how expensive an ordinary LED light-bulb is, I shudder to think how much these will cost. But the cost of LED bulbs seems to be coming down, so if I wait a bit hopefully they'll be more affordable.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #129 on: 01 Nov 2016, 16:50 »

Claire didn't need to explain what gender dysphoria is.

Erf?  Why is "gender dysphoria" any harder to parse than "green wallpaper"?  One adjective, one noun, both used in their canonical senses. Well, okay, 'gender' is tecnically a noun, but all nouns can be adjectivized, or we'd have a 'female candidate' instead of a 'woman candidate' standing for the presidency.  I've always admired people for NOT using a euphemism or codephrase for that issue.  For once they're content just saying exactly what it is and leaving it at that. Someone is unhappy about gender.  Period.  It's both true, and (unless it's the specific topic of that conversation) it's all that needs to be said.

Morituri

« Reply #130 on: 01 Nov 2016, 17:00 »

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the idea of someone being offended by the fact that someone else is trying not to be offensive. No offense meant.

Berkeley Breathed beat you to it. 
     http://www.gocomics.com/bloomcounty/1982/11/14

Morituri

« Reply #131 on: 01 Nov 2016, 17:28 »

The thing is, there has been speculation on Human/AI relationships in the Forum on and off for years. I don't remember offhand, but I think that this is something Jeph himself has weighed in on on a couple of occasions (can't remember whether he was for, against or indifferent about it - others with better memories than I can probably give you a better answer on that.)

I've gotten asked this on more than one occasion.  I won't go into exactly why right now but it has to do with my work. I'm COMPLETELY sure it would work for a lot of people.  I'm COMPLETELY sure that when there are AI in chassis capable of it, sexual services (or slavery) is probably one of the first major markets (heck, there aren't yet, even, but already some folks get emotionally attached to sex dolls and toys and etc).

Speaking for myself though? I just don't know. 

If I had met the woman of my dreams but she were wearing a mechanical body?  I can imagine being really, really close friends regardless.  I can even imagine being comfortable and deriving great joy from having sex with each other.  But the level of emotional bonding that humans in that circumstance usually get?  It's hard to imagine myself getting there with someone in a mechanical body.  For me a lot of that emotion/attraction link is olfactory, and I have trouble imagining convincing synthetics for it.  It's subtle and complicated and just really, really hard for anything except human skin and breath to create.  So I can imagine a "best friends and sex partners" relationship but it's much harder to imagine the kind of scary, total, out-of-my-power love that I feel for my wife. 

Then again, sometimes we surprise ourselves, or judge our capabilities inaccurately.  After spending a year or so with someone in a mechanical body conditioning might let the olfactory bits get less important to that part of my brain.

Morituri

« Reply #132 on: 01 Nov 2016, 17:36 »

My mental canon has Bubbles height at 220 cm - or about seven feet eight inches.  Sometimes she seems to loom larger, sometimes lesser.  But in open shots where there aren't a bunch of things to distract the artist or make scale difficult to judge, it seems fairly consistent.

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #133 on: 01 Nov 2016, 19:33 »

The ironic thing about energy efficient light bulbs is that, if you are in a building with thermostat controlled heating, then as soon as the heating is on all the energy saved from incandescent bulbs goes straight on the heating bill, since that energy doesn't go into thin air, but is simply dissipated as heat. So energy savings are rather less than the  headline values would have you believe. On the other hand, if you have airconditioning, the incandescent light heat goes straight onto the cooling bill, so in that case the savings are probably greater than headline cost.
This is all true, but incomplete. In most locales, heating with other fuels (whether it's natural gas, heating oil, whatever) is much cheaper than heating with electricity. And lights are usually up near the ceiling, which is not where you usually want your heat. So you're better off with the energy-efficient lights even though you're "losing" about 80% of the previously wasted heat. You can buy that heat much more cheaply from the gas or oil supplier.

(Comparison: In my city, natural gas costs about 1.3 cents per kWh. (They actually bill it in "therms" but the conversion is trivial.) Electric energy costs about 10 c/kWh at the cheapest tier.)

Storel

« Reply #134 on: 03 Nov 2016, 00:21 »

My mental canon has Bubbles height at 220 cm - or about seven feet eight inches.  Sometimes she seems to loom larger, sometimes lesser.  But in open shots where there aren't a bunch of things to distract the artist or make scale difficult to judge, it seems fairly consistent.

I just remembered that one of Jeph's filler comics a while back was a "spec sheet" for Bubbles's chassis. Did that happen to specify her height? I can't recall.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #135 on: 03 Nov 2016, 01:23 »

All those specs did not make it into the wiki.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #136 on: 03 Nov 2016, 04:03 »

No height mentioned. Also wow, Bubbles has been around over a year?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #137 on: 03 Nov 2016, 06:22 »

Tickle Zone?
But didn't she mention recently that she doesn't have that particular algorithm installed or did she mean in relation to those abs camouflaged as a slinky full of ball bearings?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #138 on: 03 Nov 2016, 06:26 »

It's still listed as 'tickle zone' on the manufacturer's schematics. It's just that there's a tiny asterisk leading to a footnote that reads: "NOTE: Users must download operating software patches for all non-standard anthromimietic functions". Bubbles downloaded blushing for some reason but she didn't download ticklish spots.
~~~~

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #139 on: 03 Nov 2016, 06:45 »

Wait a sec.

Ticklishness is a response to light touching on specific areas on a body resulting in involuntary twitching movements or laughter. This can be implemented with the appropriate array of sub-dermal pressure sensors and reflex firmware. No need to burden the main processor core with such basic functionality intrinsic to the chassis at hand.

Blushing is the reddening of a person's face due to psychological reasons. It is normally involuntary and triggered by emotional stress, such as that associated with embarrassment, anger, or romantic stimulation. On a technical note, this would require such chromatic variability to be already be part of the the dermal layer. With humans it is an increase in blood-flow in the dermal layers. So that would mean that either that this combat model comes with chromatic variability as standard issue or it is part of a suite of autonomic responses to avoid the uncanny valley effect and thus avoiding the creeping out of the troops in the field. I am thinking that the military, being what they are, the autonomic response was a lucky afterthought and the built in camouflage capability would save on the grease paint and the dermal chemical comparability issues. [Don't want our soldiers faces melting off during recon]

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up