THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Drunk Dora and Emily! Just What Happened?

A bet with Emily ('I bet I can drink more than you before doing dumb stuff!')
- 1 (2.5%)
Frightened by Eels (They WERE under the counter after all!)
- 2 (5%)
Traumatic Experience (Pintsize and May are an item now?)
- 3 (7.5%)
It turns out that Dora makes hooch on the side; so putting it in her is 'putting it where you found it'
- 1 (2.5%)
It was a boring day; time to mix things up!
- 10 (25%)
Dora needed to talk to the Tequila Monster of Hangovers for some reason
- 4 (10%)
Dora tried to understand Emily's thought processes; bad mistake
- 13 (32.5%)
Faye dropped by, saw the bottle and said: "It's a waste to throw it away; drink it for me!"
- 1 (2.5%)
Dora said: "Let's freak out Hanners by getting drunk on the job!"
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify in comment - the more surreal the better)
- 1 (2.5%)
Sexy Distilleries aka Method cheating and adding an option after the fact
- 2 (5%)
Felix is upset with all of the poll options and adds another after Method.
- 2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3356-3360 (21st to 25th November 2016)  (Read 32852 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Okay, a bit of comedic speculation for this week's poll. I doubt that Jeph will ever bother to expand on what made Dora and Emily get drunk so we can speculate all we want in the supreme bliss of knowing that we'll never be contradicted by canon!

FWIW, I'm sticking with Option 3 - Pintsize and May as a couple is a change to the world that you cannot process whilst sober in any way.

What about this week in the strip? Well, it depends whether Jeph has got over his recent political shocks. I hope so because, whilst his random funnies are good, I really, really want to see more of the ongoing story lines. Bubbles and Faye as well as the potential Brun-Elliot-Clinton triangle. I suspect that he is going to do some strips addressing the latter as he has been researching how to draw male muscles on a well-built male torso. So, I'm thinking that Brun is going to get her some beefcake shots, probably in some semi-random context that cannot be interpreted as 'romantic' by anyone half-sane.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Re: WCDT Strips 3356-3360 (21st to 25th November 2016)
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2016, 11:26 »

Emily wanted to bring out her inner Knight.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2016, 15:30 »

Better than her inner Michael Knight.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2016, 16:38 »

Definitely better than her inner M. Night Shyamalan.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2016, 16:52 »

Definitely better than Night of the Lepus.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2016, 20:22 »

How about a K.I.T.T. Kat then?
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2016, 20:29 »

How about a K.I.T.T. Kat then?
Give him a break.

edit -- New comic
mmm... yeah... condense that ethanol... that's one hell of a sexy distillery.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

TheEvilDog

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2016, 20:37 »

You guys are NERDS

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2016, 20:38 »

You say that as if there's something wrong with it.  :-P
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2016, 23:22 »

OK, so here's the thing.

I believe, or try to, in the descriptivist, not prescriptivist approach to language. If people* speak in a certain way, that means that is the "correct" way, because artificial constraints about what is "correct" are there only because a certain dialect or sociolect is associated with higher social status, and screw that kind of language imperialism.

Basically, the notion of "this is incorrect" does not apply to language, even if a particular form is not considered "correct". That's why it annoys me when people claim sentences can't be ended with a preposition. That's why I don't consider double negation in English to be incorrect, because there are non-standard variants of English where people speak like that.

Where am I going with this? Well, I'm a huge hypocrite, because seeing the word "pissed" in the meaning "angry" makes me angry to the point that an anime-style vein appears on my forehead. I know that's the common term in American English in general, but ARGH. The proper term, to me, is "pissed off", the way most dialects of British English tend to use it. "pissed" properly means "drunk", and for some mysterious reason the fact that Americans tend to say "pissed" when they mean "angry" is infuriating to me. Especially in a comic that is both about someone being angry and someone else being drunk. That's just confusing on top of being annoying**.

Besides, it's inconsistent and illogical. I've checked - pretty much nobody says "that pisses me". Everyone, and that includes Americans, says "that pisses me off". So the term SHOULD be "pissed off". According to my Google search, the phrase "that pisses me" without the word "off" following it appears extraordinarily rarely, and in 90% of cases, it's because "off" is misspelt as "of".

Bottom line - "pissed" means "drunk", "pissed off" means "angry", and I stubbornly refuse to acknowledge any other use of the terms is correct, despite it being the case for hundreds of millions of people who are native speakers of the language. I'm not even sure how that use of "pissed" evolved in the US (I assume lazy use of language***).

[/rant]

* Well, native speakers of the language. Not just anyone.
** "Emily found some booze Faye stashed in the shop and we cracked it open. Hanners got pissed (...)" can be easily read, without the context of the previous comic, to mean "Hanners got drunk", after all. Heck, I did a double take of that sentence.
*** Lazy language is the source of pretty much ALL language evolution, anyway ;)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2016, 23:37 »

I think that the reason Tai is so good for Dora is that she's the first SO that Dora's had who has had the courage to continuously and consistently call her out when her personal issues make her behave in a bad way. She's even shown the willingness to walk out on her and maybe even dump her if she won't change. That's focussed Dora's mind on trying to change herself for the better before and maybe it will again.

Additionally, yes - IMHO, there is nothing sexy about someone smelling of cheap booze.

@oddtail,
Language is a living and dynamic thing and no definition is forever (sometimes it doesn't even last a generation). 'Pissed' as a synonym for 'angry' is used pretty much universally these days and it has for a while. I think that you can comfortably assume that it is a definition by 'common usage' these days.
~~~~

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2016, 00:16 »

'Pissed' as a synonym for 'angry' is used pretty much universally these days and it has for a while.

(a) not in the UK, but(I can't speak for other non-American English users.
(b) in this specific (drinking) context, "Hanners got pissed" is comically ambiguous  - but if that was an intentional comedy pun on Jeph's part, it didn't work as such for me.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

NyxDarkness

• Plantmonster
« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2016, 00:48 »

Keep in mind that Jeph is American, so it is more likely that he would use the American meaning of words/phrases than the UK meaning, unless the dialogue included somebody of UK origin. And in the US (to my knowledge) we only ever use "pissed" as a verb, or with the context of being angry.

On a different note, I always like to see Tai and Dora together. The dynamic between them always seems to be exactly what each needs, whether it's being called on their crap, or it's being comforted. 

I also feel like the problem with Faye being drunk at work, and what caused her to be fired, was the fact that she was consistently drunk at work, all the time. While it was irresponsible of Dora to drink on duty, if it had only been once that Faye had done it, she probably wouldn't have been fired.
I, too, am excited to see where things are headed for Brun.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2016, 01:01 »

Meh... "Pissed" meaning angry I regard as an Americanism, but English has many dialects, and a competent user should be able to cope with that. In Australia, as in the UK, "pissed" means drunk, or as a verb means "urinated", while "pissed off" means angry, but QC is set in the USA (and Jeph is American) so I'd expect the cast to speak American English.

Speaking as a non-native speaker, I take issue with this. The price native English-speakers pay for the convenience of the widespread use of their language all over the world, is that they don't own the language any more. The existence of long-established variant forms of English (American, Australian, British, Canadian, Jamaican etc.) already disproves the notion that all native-speakers agree on what is correct. Where English is used for communication between people who all speak it as a second language, another dialect invariably develops, influenced by habitual structures and ways of thinking derived from their native languages. I have encountered this with ESL speakers from India, in Singapore, and apparently it is happening in Europe too. I believe this happened with Latin too, so it might be the inevitable fate of imperial languages.

Hasn't Tai come a long way from the irresponsible stoner of her early appearances? I think she is good for Dora, but maybe Dora is good for her too.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2016, 01:07 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2016, 01:09 »

I could care less about this.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

NyxDarkness

• Plantmonster
« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2016, 01:27 »

Hasn't Tai come a long way from the irresponsible stoner of her early appearances? I think she is good for Dora, but maybe Dora is good for her too.

I agree with this completely. She has definitely matured from the time we first met her. She and Dora have both evolved to be deeper people individually and as a couple. They benefit by learning from each other's experiences.

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2016, 01:51 »

tai really seems to have reined in the sleazy sexual predator talk/vibe she used to have.

oddtail

« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2016, 01:57 »

Speaking as a non-native speaker, I take issue with this. The price native English-speakers pay for the convenience of the widespread use of their language all over the world, is that they don't own the language any more.

I may not have been 100% clear, so let me explain my point better.

I don't mean to say non-native speakers do not influence a language at all. English has had huge influence on it throughout its history. In fact, every language has. And I very much subscribe to the idea (as I mentioned) that there is no "right" or "correct" language. Language is correct by virtue of being used a certain way. There is always a "standard" version of a language (or several standard versions, as the case may be), but this is strongly connected to social issues, to literary language, to perceived "appropriateness" of a certain form of language. This has nothing to do with one form of language being objectively correct. As I said, it's a tool of cultural imperialism more than anything else.

As a result, if a variant of a language (not just English) is used by a certain group or community, and it is "incorrect" in the prescriptivist sense, I think that notion is useless from any reasonable point of view. It's a way to paint a group of people as inferior to another group, there is no objective reason one, enshrined version of a language is "better". It's all about status. There are ways to use language appropriate for certain situations or social circles, but if you speak a language a certain way in a consistent way, it works.

But. Non-native speakers are a more complicated case, and there's a reason I made an exception regarding that. A person speaking a foreign language uses it differently, from my understanding of linguistics, than a person using it natively. It's more about learnt rules of using a language. This leaves room for errors, due to imperfect understanding of grammar or idioms or even vocabulary. It can be less about "that particular person speaks a certain way" and more of a "this person has problems following the patterns of the language".

This is not clear-cut, because a person well-acquainted with a language is, to my mind, much closer to a native speaker than to a language learner after passing a certain threshold. English is not native for me, but it's natural enough for me to think in English. I don't mimic the way English works, I use it naturally and with ease. I imagine this is the same way for you. And most if not all non-native users of English in this forum, for that matter.

But, lines are much more blurred with non-native speakers. I did not mean to imply the development of the English language is solely on 100% purely native speakers. But I am more wary of putting learned English on the same level as naturally acquired English, because even if there are gray areas, some less experienced speakers of English clearly speak it in a way that is not "correct" in the sense of following the way the language works. Using a grammar form incorrectly or misunderstanding an idiom by a language learner is not necessarily just a pecularity of their speech, it *can* be regarded as an error. For a native speaker using a form consistently, I reject the notion that they are *capable* of making an error in this manner. If a native speaker speaks in a certain way, this way is, in my view, correct pretty much by definition. For a non-native, it... weeeeeell, it might be or might not be. It's complicated. That's why I avoid taking this "anything goes" approach when talking about a non-native speaker. I hope that makes any sense.

The same ambiguity goes for groups of people. Indian English is not *technically* native for most of its users, but it's distinct enough and has repeatable patterns to a large enough extent that it's a borderline case of an actual English dialect. Same goes for the way English is used in much of Asia. I hesitate to say that's the case for Europe, yet.

But there's no clear divide here, so I am cautious about thinking of English being used non-natively by a group (based on their ethnicity, nationality, geographic area) as a kind of fully, for the lack of a better word, legitimate English. After a long enough time, it is. But the time where the transition of "a group of people use a foreign language and they misuse it in a certain way" to "a group of people use a language and they make it their own" happens is difficult to pinpoint. It's not clear when a dialect is already there as its own thing. In fact, it's impossible, like many things in linguistics, to define that in a sharp way.

And, I should point out that this is a point of contention, especially among linguists.

The existence of long-established variant forms of English (American, Australian, British, Canadian, Jamaican etc.) already disproves the notion that all native-speakers agree on what is correct. (...)

That's just the thing. ALL the forms of English that you mention are, in my view, 100% correct, by virtue of being forms of English used natively. My "if a native speaker says it, it's automatically correct" belief is very common-sense to me, because I see it as logical and at least approaching objectivity in the sense that I get rid of elitist, cultural interference of an arbitrary "you can't speak like THAT, it's not proper" that English has struggled with much more than some other major languages. But this "anything goes", as much sense as it makes for me, in itself is controversial, and I know many would think the notion ridiculous. The level to which non-native use of a language is legitimate and "correct" is bound to be even more controversial and complicated. Again, that's why I avoid making a categorical statement of "everything is correct", the way I do with native speakers of any language.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2016, 02:05 by oddtail »

epmin

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2016, 03:57 »

Delurking because I got peeved by this :-D

Bottom line - "pissed" means "drunk", "pissed off" means "angry", and I stubbornly refuse to acknowledge any other use of the terms is correct, despite it being the case for hundreds of millions of people who are native speakers of the language. I'm not even sure how that use of "pissed" evolved in the US (I assume lazy use of language***).

The fun thing about the English language is that some words and phrases, despite being spelt the same, can mean different things based on the circumstances they are used in.
'Pissed' as used by Dora to describe Hanners would be an accurate usage in spoken form, whereas if it was Hanners texting station about it, then pissed off would be correct.

Interestingly, I rarely hear 'pissed' to describe drunk these days, it's more often 'pished'

Relurks again

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2016, 05:49 »

There were several times when the staff has had drinks or gotten tipsy at work. Heck, Dora keeps a bottle of 'Emergency Bourbon' in the shop for just those circumstances. The big difference between that and Faye's drinking at the end was it happened when Dora was aware of it, approved it and wasn't a particular danger of causing harm to her business. Having pizza and a beer when the shop is dead is a far cry from showing up drunk and sneaking drinks all day through your shift.  And again there is the whole thing where Faye was caught, told not to do it again, and then was right after caught sneaking drinks again. That's showing a complete lack of respect to both the business and the owner, as well as being potentially dangerous to herself, the other staff and the customers. Faye may not have been dealing with dangerous machinery that could kill, unless she was welding out back. But accidentally (or intentionally, this is Faye) dumping a scalding hot coffee on someone and sending them to the hospital would have been a huge fine and possible lawsuit.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2016, 07:33 »

How does pissed meaning drunk inherently make any more sense than pissed meaning angry?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #21 on: 21 Nov 2016, 07:41 »

Re: the poll

Dora and Emily came up with the bright idea of trying to do this trick with a bottle of cheap bourbon instead of champagne.
  • The trick worked in the sense that the bottle lost its cork and neck.
  • But the cork didn't fly 20 feet (bourbon is not pressurized the way champagne is), it just sorta dropped on the floor.
  • But they still had an open bottle of alcohol, and no obvious way to keep it contained.
  • From that point on every step followed from the preceding one logically.
  • It was NOT two girls and an oblong instrument gone wild. You pervs. That sword is effing sharp.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

oddtail

« Reply #22 on: 21 Nov 2016, 07:43 »

How does pissed meaning drunk inherently make any more sense than pissed meaning angry?

I'm not saying it does. But "pissed off" is a phrase that is understandable anyway, means the same as the American meaning of "pissed", and "pissed" by itself is confusing vis a vis the British meaning of "drunk". Plus, as I said, the American usage is inconsistent, because to my knowledge, nobody really says "this really pisses me", but rather "this really pisses me off", even in the US.

But, since a few people have commented on this, I was only half-serious in my original post. Apparently it didn't come across very clearly in text.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2016, 08:06 by oddtail »

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #23 on: 21 Nov 2016, 07:45 »

People who drink heavily can have reduced bladder control. Therefore, 'pissed'.
~~~~

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #24 on: 21 Nov 2016, 08:57 »

People who are old an have reduced bladder control, too, but we don't use pissed as slang for elderly.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #25 on: 21 Nov 2016, 09:25 »

True but, nonetheless, that does seem to be the origin of the word and it has been in use in my part of the UK for as long as I can remember (35+ years).
~~~~

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #26 on: 21 Nov 2016, 09:49 »

As a Canadian and exposed to a lot of regional variance through work I regularly use and hear "pissed" to mean "drunk" or to mean "angry". Determining which is which is fully context dependent...

Granted in Dora's story it would make it hard to figure out which Hanners was, but sometimes that's the way she go.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #27 on: 21 Nov 2016, 12:38 »

I find context helpful.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #28 on: 21 Nov 2016, 12:52 »

Well, the context is pretty clear. Hanners didn't drink. She was angry. And she was 'pissed'. Which definition of the term is pretty clear. Plus, using 'pissed' for drunk is not very common for us USA-type people.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 21 Nov 2016, 12:54 »

At least Dora recognises the fact that it was a double standard, which speaks well of her over this. 

I would assume they eventually managed to disarm and calm Emily down.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #30 on: 21 Nov 2016, 13:17 »

Speaking as a non-native speaker, I take issue with this. The price native English-speakers pay for the convenience of the widespread use of their language all over the world, is that they don't own the language any more.

non-native speakers as of 2003 outnumbered native speakers by a ratio of 3 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-speaking_world)

Why don't 'we' simply have a vote on who 'owns' the language?  :evil:

I could care less about this.

http://blog.dictionary.com/could-care-less/

Typical native-speaker's lack of competence in clearly communicating in an international setting, according to the BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20161028-native-english-speakers-are-the-worlds-worst-communicators

“The native English speaker… is the only one who might not feel the need to accommodate or adapt to the others,” she adds. ... With non-native English speakers in the majority worldwide, it’s Anglophones who may need to up their game.

I'd add that I personally would tentatively exempt Canadian native speakers of English from that conclusion - the few that I know mostly communicate in a way typical for someone who is aware that there's 'other ways to communicate in than the one taught at Smallville Junior High, Ohio'.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2016, 13:33 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #31 on: 21 Nov 2016, 13:32 »

True but, nonetheless, that does seem to be the origin of the word and it has been in use in my part of the UK for as long as I can remember (35+ years).

Are you familiar with the word etymology? The word was formed from the Latin "etus" ("eaten"), the root "mal" ("bad"), and "logy" ("study of"). It meant "the study of things that are hard to swallow." True story. *nods*

Don't forget that the word 'piss' is used to refer to (usually foul-tasting) alcohol, so it may well come from that.

Personally, I also have a history of getting a bit cranky about all kinds of language misuse, but regional slang variations would have to be very low in that list. So, to be frank, I'm a little bemused at the fuss over the word "pissed." It's slang, it doesn't "really" have either meaning, if you want to be technical about it.

Regarding the bait that I threw out there (sorry, Case, I was deliberately referring to this): David Mitchell

If you haven't seen it before, then enjoy. Spoiler: he doesn't mention "pissed."
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #32 on: 21 Nov 2016, 14:02 »

Because its a contracted version of "piss drunk", as in someone is so drunk they can't control their bladder.
Its more that in the UK "pissed" is more related to drunk than angry, while the reverse seems to be the case in the US. Its regional.

(click to show/hide)

Of course, this isn't an exhaustive list, but rather a short list of the most commonly heard ones.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #33 on: 21 Nov 2016, 14:42 »

I prefer "Rickety Rickety Wrecked".

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Travis B.

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #34 on: 21 Nov 2016, 15:19 »

I do not see what the issue with using a North American English usage in QC is. After all, it is set in the US and the author is an American, so it is natural that captions in QC would be in some variety of North American English. And personally I find it very annoying when people view English English or some sort of international English as "more correct" than North American English; in this context, both would be entirely inappropriate given the setting of QC - except maybe in the mouth of a character specifically from the UK or one who specifically learned English outside North America as a non-native speaker - and in general because North American English has far more native speakers than any other English dialect group.

About the BBC article, that seems to indicate that native speakers of English should be expected to impoverish their language because non-native speakers just cannot be expected to understand, that one is now supposed to treat English as an international auxiliary language rather than a language with actual native speakers who speak actual dialects (even if they think they speak a standard variety) who don't grow up learning to dumb down their speech because people elsewhere happen to have adopted it as an IAL. Personally, I work with people from India and China quite a bit, and while I often have a good bit of trouble understanding them because the English they speak often does not follow the sort of phonology I am used to (lack of stressed fortis plosive aspiration (e.g. in Indian English), lack of strong stress accent, lack of strong vowel length allophony (e.g. in any non-native sort of English, and even in some native sorts), different sibilants than native English (e.g. in Indian English), etc. are often problems for me), I have never been told to simplify how I speak, nor have I been told to use a more standard phonology (and apparently I have a very strong accent too).

TheEvilDog

« Reply #35 on: 21 Nov 2016, 15:41 »

I think the discussion is more to do with how slang varies from region to region and where the confusion leads to delightful conversations about where one person says "I thought it meant..." and everyone laughs at the misunderstanding like the end of a cheesy and horribly dated sitcom. Because let's laugh at the funny foreigners!

No, the fact is that we have had similar discussions before and to be honest, I like hearing what others say. Its interesting, because despite the fact we share the same language, there is a certain amount of lingual drift where a word in one country has a different meaning in another and a wildly different meaning in a third. Not to mention that due to the fact that English is the current lingua franca, there are many on the forum for whom English is a second or even third language, this type of discussion both helps them understand the vagaries of the language and to help them connect to others.

Though this might be a forum about a comic in a North American setting, it is an international forum and this type of discussion is going to crop up from time to time. None of us can claim to know everything (except Akima, but that's because she actually does know everything and able to prove it), but if we can learn something else from others, great.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2016, 15:56 by TheEvilDog »

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!
« Reply #36 on: 21 Nov 2016, 15:51 »

It's possible that we may be worrying over nothing:

Unless the present progress of change [is] arrested...there can be no doubt that, in another century, the dialect of the Americans will become utterly unintelligible to an Englishman... Thomas Hamilton, 1833

After all, tis not as if any man hast axed for eggys:

And one of theym named Sheffelde, a mercer, cam in to an hows and axed for mete and specyally he axyd after eggys, and the goode wyf answerde that she could speke no Frenshe. And the marchaunt was angry, for he also coude speke no Frenshe, but wolde have hadde egges; and she understode hym not. And thenne at laste a-nother sayd that he wolde have eyren. Then the good wyf sayd that she understod hym wel. Loo, what sholde a man in thyse dayes now wryte, egges, or eyren? Certaynly it is hard to playse every man, by-cause of dyversite and chaunge of langage. William Caxton, 1490

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #37 on: 21 Nov 2016, 15:54 »

Yes, that's what we do here.  :laugh:

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #38 on: 21 Nov 2016, 16:05 »

Regarding the bait that I threw out there (sorry, Case, I was deliberately referring to this): David Mitchell

Why, did you now? Really? What a sneaky ... sneaker you are.

Jokes aside - The BBC-link in the post you're referring to just jumped from the page when I googled the ratio of non-native to native speakers of English. Couldn't resist using your bait as a "Steilvorlage" ...

Good thing about the spread of social justice-jargon? At least people have stopped crying 'racism' when they mean 'chauvinism' or 'nationalism' - that one always irked me pissed me off.  :evil:

P.S.: The 'could care less'-fallacy is also at the heart of the (allegedly) shortest math-joke: 'Let epsilon be smaller than zero'. A favourite of natsci-undergrads around the globe ...
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2016, 16:15 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #39 on: 21 Nov 2016, 16:47 »

Jokes aside - The BBC-link in the post you're referring to just jumped from the page when I googled the ratio of non-native to native speakers of English. Couldn't resist using your bait as a "Steilvorlage" ...

That is a marvellous word. I wish there were an English language equivalent.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #40 on: 21 Nov 2016, 17:05 »

A newer recent idiom coined by a Canadian Mayor having had to deal with very drunk, very stupid Americans [some would call that redundant] drifting to the wrong side of a border waterway that has very large very heavy ship traffic.
He referred to them as "Overly Refreshed".

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Gyrre

« Reply #41 on: 21 Nov 2016, 17:12 »

Emily wanted to bring out her inner Knight.

But did she Light Up the Night?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

« Reply #42 on: 21 Nov 2016, 17:24 »

Does anyone else think Tai looks a tad more anime-ish than usual today?

I'd peg her with a voice like Allison Keith's.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Storel

« Reply #43 on: 21 Nov 2016, 17:43 »

Where am I going with this? Well, I'm a huge hypocrite, because seeing the word "pissed" in the meaning "angry" makes me angry to the point that an anime-style vein appears on my forehead. I know that's the common term in American English in general, but ARGH. The proper term, to me, is "pissed off", the way most dialects of British English tend to use it. "pissed" properly means "drunk", and for some mysterious reason the fact that Americans tend to say "pissed" when they mean "angry" is infuriating to me. Especially in a comic that is both about someone being angry and someone else being drunk. That's just confusing on top of being annoying**.

Besides, it's inconsistent and illogical. I've checked - pretty much nobody says "that pisses me". Everyone, and that includes Americans, says "that pisses me off". So the term SHOULD be "pissed off". According to my Google search, the phrase "that pisses me" without the word "off" following it appears extraordinarily rarely, and in 90% of cases, it's because "off" is misspelt as "of".[/rant]

I grew up in the '60s and '70s and one thing I've noticed in recent years is that a lot of expressions from that time are still around, but they've been shortened in recent years by dropping the preposition. If you had a blank moment back then, you'd say "Sorry, I spaced out," but nowadays people just say "Sorry, I spaced." Back then, people who were unexpectedly startled would freak out; nowadays they just freak.

So it seems to me that this may be just another example of the same linguistic movement. Back then, people got pissed off, but nowadays they just get pissed. That actually makes it consistent with the way other expressions have changed since then. Language evolution in action.

Although I agree, nobody says "that pisses me," it's always "that pisses me off," but I think in that phrasing the "off" is there to add extra emphasis, as in "that pisses me OFF, you [unprintable thing]!"

Does that make sense?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #44 on: 21 Nov 2016, 19:06 »

I haven't heard anyone say "pissed off" or "pisses me off" in years, I would agree that the shortening is pretty complete at this point.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #45 on: 21 Nov 2016, 21:26 »

Looks like Emily got her 'little off the top' anyway...

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #46 on: 21 Nov 2016, 21:39 »

Nothing Grows? For shame.
So many varieties of arctic berries as well as lichens and a few others.
Mind you still better than moose milk  [reference to a quickly censored beer commercial]

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #47 on: 21 Nov 2016, 22:20 »

I imagine an add campaign using that Frank Zappa song.  Don't you know where the huskies go don't you eat that yellow snow.

Gyrre

« Reply #48 on: 21 Nov 2016, 23:21 »

Unless the present progress of change [is] arrested...there can be no doubt that, in another century, the dialect of the Americans will become utterly unintelligible to an Englishman... Thomas Hamilton, 1833

After all, tis not as if any man hast axed for eggys:

And one of theym named Sheffelde, a mercer, cam in to an hows and axed for mete and specyally he axyd after eggys, and the goode wyf answerde that she could speke no Frenshe. And the marchaunt was angry, for he also coude speke no Frenshe, but wolde have hadde egges; and she understode hym not. And thenne at laste a-nother sayd that he wolde have eyren. Then the good wyf sayd that she understod hym wel. Loo, what sholde a man in thyse dayes now wryte, egges, or eyren? Certaynly it is hard to playse every man, by-cause of dyversite and chaunge of langage. William Caxton, 1490

That serait be the embárrassing  to speak the incorrect! I würde be the avoid de that!"

(click to show/hide)
a real-ass gaddam sword

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #49 on: 21 Nov 2016, 23:47 »

Congratulations, Dora! You and Emily were apparently drinking industrial ethanol that some bright spark at a local fuel refinery realised also could be used to cater to desperate drinkers! Enjoy your shakes because I understand that stuff has a killer punch!

Meanwhile, I suspect that we're about to see something that we've never seen before: Emily in a Faye-style foul mood!
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2016, 00:21 by BenRG »
~~~~

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up