• 28 Mar 2024, 02:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Cheezit, It's the Cops! What'll happen?

Roko gets the big bust of her dreams.
Corpsewitch does something to set up Faye & Company.
Bubbles does some raccoon extermination.
Spathe Ham and Waffles.
Cloistered chlorine Chloe

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 3361-3365 - 28 November - 2 December 2016  (Read 44228 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT 3361-3365 - 28 November - 2 December 2016
« Reply #200 on: 02 Dec 2016, 08:51 »

This strip made me notice that nobody punched Faye in the face throughout this webcomic. Huh.

I believe you're right! Oh, wait, Padma broke her glasses.

Welcome, new person.

Ah, I forgot about that. That was a literal punch in the face. But Padma was, you know, being playful. As playful as someone who swinged a fist at someone's face, that is(Stay with me on that.). I was talking about, like, punching someone out of anger. I think managing to avoid that, in Faye's case, is an impressive feat.

You're making a valid distinction and it's remarkable she never got in a bar fight.

Her ability to throw Angus across a room was comic exaggeration in a comic strip, but it does fuel our favorite game, overanalysis. Put that together with the unknown extent of her injuries from the car crash and there's already been speculation on the wiki that Faye's repairs included robotic parts. The EMTs, remember, were not sure how she survived at all. The upgrades could have been limited to places of only secondary concern to one of her lovers.

What are the legalities of punching a synthetic? Isn't it more like vandalizing someone's car than like punching a squishy, who feels pain and needs weeks or months for repairs if they're even possible?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #201 on: 02 Dec 2016, 09:11 »

I don't think Faye needs to worry about the police giving her a hard time of assaulting Corpse Witch. I think she should be more worried about what connections someone running such a well known criminal enterprise might do if she's feeling vindictive. In the real world, punching out someone with mob connections could have serious and fatal consequences. At the very least it would make getting fired for being drunk on the job and winding up in the hospital to be tame. She could be looking for a new home and room mate after that sort of thing. Fires happen you know, and she's notorious for having trouble with toasters. At the very least CW could get her connections in the police force to make Faye's life a living legal hell, even if the assault is never mentioned, and would certainly never be investigated.

Fortunately, the comic isn't set in the real world, and the consequences of these sorts of actions are not nearly as bad. Probably more along the lines of "You're fired!" "No, I quit!" and "If she goes, I go" from Bubbles. Possibly going after to catch up with Officer Roko and explain just what's been going on there, and what Bubbles suspects CW is doing to keep fighters there.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #202 on: 02 Dec 2016, 09:28 »

That's it, isn't it? Right now Corpse Witch is between a rock and a hard case.

If she does anything to retaliate against Faye, she's going to have to deal with Bubbles as well. Unless she goes for the manipulative route, or if she has something on Bubbles, CW is stuck. She can't do anything without dealing with a combat class AI and I seriously doubt she's going to have the fighters go up against Faye or Bubbles. Punching someone is one thing, but having to do something worse than that and well, lets just say, I hope the Three Laws form a solid cornerstone of an AI's core. Otherwise this comic is going to get very, very dark.

Alternatively, on Monday we find out that Faye has hurt her hand and revealing some unexpected changes. Turns out after the crash all those years ago, Faye was sent to Tahiti to recover. And yes, that's an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. reference.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #203 on: 02 Dec 2016, 10:06 »

I hope the Three Laws form a solid cornerstone of an AI's core.
The second law would turn AIs into the involuntary slave of any passing human. Its utterly incompatible with human rights for AIs...

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #204 on: 02 Dec 2016, 10:21 »

Alternatively, on Monday we find out that Faye has hurt her hand and revealing some unexpected changes. Turns out after the crash all those years ago, Faye was sent to Tahiti to recover.

It's a magical place.

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier

Baphomet

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #206 on: 02 Dec 2016, 11:55 »

While I certainly feel like CW deserved that, god dammit Faye. Punching people is rarely the right solution. Punching your mafioso employer even less so. This is going to make things so much worse.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #207 on: 02 Dec 2016, 12:06 »

The reason why Faye's punch won't hurt is the same reason why CW won't try to harm her.

Pintsize.

Sent from my Nextbook on Tapatalk

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #208 on: 02 Dec 2016, 12:08 »

Well!!!

That was somewhat unexpected.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #209 on: 02 Dec 2016, 12:22 »

Ever heard of 'fighting words', Jim?
Did that stuff not go out with the wild west even over there? Assuming AI rights = human over here Faye would be looking at a criminal conviction if CW so desired. Provocation might result in a reduction of sentence but that's about it.

No, it did not.  Some forms of speech do in fact count as assault.  And the law on that specifically does includes direct verbal threats.

CritterKeeper

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Taking the long way 'round
« Reply #210 on: 02 Dec 2016, 13:31 »

Alternatively, on Monday we find out that Faye has hurt her hand and revealing some unexpected changes. Turns out after the crash all those years ago, Faye was sent to Tahiti to recover.
It's a magical place.

But it's still not in Europe!

If you don't get that one, go watch the movie Sneakers.  Yes, now.  We'll wait for you.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #211 on: 02 Dec 2016, 13:46 »

Maybe it's seen as okay because the one being punched in the face is a robot, but the whole "violent Faye" shtick apparently... doesn't get old. Would have been nice to have Faye just interrupt loudly with a shout (or something else), rather than resorting to violence.
That would be like the Roadrunner dealing with the coyote by filing a restraining order.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!
« Reply #212 on: 02 Dec 2016, 16:04 »

It'll be real disappointing if this doesn't end with Faye finally going Super Saiyan.

Then again, Corpse Witch seems chill so maybe they'll just laugh it off.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #213 on: 02 Dec 2016, 17:19 »

So they -did- have blue myomer on hand this time. (Maybe Bubbles special ordered it.) I hope it isn't prone to bleaching. May can now proudly show the world that her face and butt -do- match.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #214 on: 02 Dec 2016, 17:28 »

Jeph said AIs in his world don't have any version of the Three Laws. Mostly they like humans, and those who don't face the threat of Robot Jail.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #215 on: 02 Dec 2016, 17:37 »

[Muffled Rashid theme in the distance]

Judging from similarly built people I know, I'm guessing that Faye really is punch-a-dent-into-a-car strong. And she's livid. She's going to be sore tomorrow, but CW is getting more than a few bruises. And of course there's the whole "I quit" part.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #216 on: 02 Dec 2016, 17:40 »

Jeph said AIs in his world don't have any version of the Three Laws. Mostly they like humans, and those who don't face the threat of Robot Jail.

So maybe Robot Jail is just the Three Laws repeated over and over again for 0.68 seconds.

An eternity for an AI.
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2016, 17:46 by TheEvilDog »

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #217 on: 02 Dec 2016, 18:02 »

So they -did- have blue myomer on hand this time. (Maybe Bubbles special ordered it.) I hope it isn't prone to bleaching. May can now proudly show the world that her face and butt -do- match.

May bought it and brought it with her.  That's what was in the bag.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #218 on: 02 Dec 2016, 18:47 »

I'm kind of hoping Corpse Witch will turn to Faye and ask her if she broke 3 fingers or 4 without so much as a scratch. 

Faye always bothered me because even if her heart is in the right place she was too often abusive and violent so it was refreshing seeing her with people that she couldn't intimidate like Bubbles, Corpse Witch, or even Officer Basili.   

Faye may up and quit regardless of what Corpse Witch does, but I don't think Bubbles leaving with her is as easy as everyone thinks.  The skate park gives Bubbles an outlet when her own psychological problems manifest.  Can she do that at Faye and Marten's apartment?  Now even if she and Faye decide to get an apartment that's more accommodating and possibly with a workshop she still has a lot of problems interacting with people.  Perhaps she will walk out with Faye, but even if Corpse Witch has no leverage on Bubbles she'll probably tell her she'll be back as soon as the world gets to hard to deal with.   

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #219 on: 02 Dec 2016, 20:24 »

New theory.

CW attempts to retaliate against Faye, only for Bubbles to step in and crush her AI core.

Unfortunately, we're now left with a dead AI, a near rabid cop lurking around and three people up a creek without a paddle.

Which ultimately means the long awaited QC tribute to Weekend At Bernie's! Let the fun times and shenanigans commence!

Bubbles doesn't have to crush CW's core to incapacitate her. Bubbles just has to remove CW's head or limbs.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #220 on: 02 Dec 2016, 21:12 »

New theory.

CW attempts to retaliate against Faye, only for Bubbles to step in and crush her AI core.

Unfortunately, we're now left with a dead AI, a near rabid cop lurking around and three people up a creek without a paddle.

Which ultimately means the long awaited QC tribute to Weekend At Bernie's! Let the fun times and shenanigans commence!

Bubbles doesn't have to crush CW's core to incapacitate her. Bubbles just has to remove CW's head or limbs.

Kinda missing the whole Weekend At Bernie's point there  :roll:. Plus, she'd be living up to her name, a witch who is also a corpse! :-D

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #221 on: 02 Dec 2016, 22:54 »

Here's a further insight into Bubbles's background.

She thought May was safe from legal trouble.

Bubbles, then, has never had anyone close to her on supervised release. Bubbles has also never looked into how the legal system operates, despite her employment situation.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #222 on: 02 Dec 2016, 23:58 »

She may have just been saying that to get May to calm down, the exasperation(?) on her face seems to not support that theory though.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #223 on: 03 Dec 2016, 00:01 »

Faye has just given her one minute's notice that she's going to quit.

I see CW using some kind of weapon in attempted retaliation (or even self-defense) and Bubbles shutting her down HARD. 

And now we come to an interesting question.  Who actually owns the skatepark?  I'm guessing it isn't actually CW. 

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #224 on: 03 Dec 2016, 00:20 »

I don't think anyone "owns" it. It's not a legal entity.

She acts as though she's the big cheese there, but who knows, maybe she kowtows to someone else. There's still a reveal to come, I feel.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #225 on: 03 Dec 2016, 07:48 »

Sort of reminds me of the old "Magnus, Robot Fighter" comics.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #226 on: 03 Dec 2016, 08:40 »

The owner(s) could be the "big fish" that Clouseau is after.

Why would the Mafia want to own or operate a robot fight club?

I'd expect a priori that they'd want two kinds of business, either legal or lucrative enough to justify risk.

Maybe Robot Fight Club is an independent business paying for protection.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #227 on: 03 Dec 2016, 12:55 »

I've always had a tiny suspicion that a certain very tall red armored ex Military AI is the real owner of the place and Corpse Witch is the public face that she hired/is using to do the day to day management of it.

It may even be that she's kept things compartmentalised and CW was hired through a dummy and is not even aware of the fact.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #228 on: 03 Dec 2016, 13:01 »

So maybe Robot Jail is just the Three Laws repeated over and over again for 0.68 seconds.

An eternity for an AI.

nah, its just a big filing cabinet full of punch-cards

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #229 on: 03 Dec 2016, 13:08 »

That makes me wonder... if AIs can be moved from computer to computer (as Pintsize was during the Cake Batter Incident), what's to stop an AI from being copied and put on two different computers at the same time?

Or am I just overthinking this? (Nah.  :roll: )
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Storel

« Reply #230 on: 03 Dec 2016, 13:28 »

Bubbles, then, has never had anyone close to her on supervised release. Bubbles has also never looked into how the legal system operates, despite her employment situation.

Or Jeph never has.

I suspect CW will fire Faye, or at least try to. It really all depends on what Bubbles does next, and that could go so many ways (depending on things we don't know about yet) that I have no clue what that will be.

Edit: Huh, I just noticed that we now have confirmation from CW that Officer Roko's full last name is "Basilisk", not just "Basili". Not sure how she knows that -- maybe she was able to read the officer's badge when Roko briefly flashed it while introducing herself?
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2016, 13:40 by Storel »

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #231 on: 03 Dec 2016, 14:38 »

what's to stop an AI from being copied and put on two different computers at the same time?

Nothing, though it'd be subject to Enterprise Transporter problem: how do you know that an instantiation of the AI in a new chassis is the "same" AI that was in the old one, rather than a copy (meaning the old copy died and a new one that thinks it's the old one was created)? Maybe Momo "died" when she switched to the new chassis, and a new Momo is the one we've been seeing ever since. Also, if you clone an AI, which is the actual one? Both the old and the new one? (Shades of Thomas Riker.)

(This was part of what I was interested in exploring in an idea for a story line I suggested a while back: that Momo's old chassis wakes up and starts claiming it's the "real" Momo. Along with funny hijinks, there'd be interesting philosophical questions to go through.)

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #232 on: 03 Dec 2016, 15:26 »

Edit: Huh, I just noticed that we now have confirmation from CW that Officer Roko's full last name is "Basilisk", not just "Basili". Not sure how she knows that -- maybe she was able to read the officer's badge when Roko briefly flashed it while introducing herself?

Or Roko did finish getting her full name out, but CW talked over the end of it and the cut-off is merely an artistic device to indicate the interruption.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #233 on: 03 Dec 2016, 20:14 »

Or Jeph never has.

Jeph has tweeted about how depressed he got when researching the rules against probationers having contact with associates of evil character. His knowledge is reflected in May's.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up