• 26 Apr 2024, 10:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Cheezit, It's the Cops! What'll happen?

Roko gets the big bust of her dreams.
Corpsewitch does something to set up Faye & Company.
Bubbles does some raccoon extermination.
Spathe Ham and Waffles.
Cloistered chlorine Chloe

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 3361-3365 - 28 November - 2 December 2016  (Read 44575 times)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
Re: WCDT 3361-3365 - 28 November - 2 December 2016
« Reply #50 on: 29 Nov 2016, 04:34 »

Corpse Witch doesn't look concerned so more than likely there's nothing there she can use as evidence or she's baited the place with what appears to be contraband, but it is actually legal and will only serve to embarrass Officer Basili when the case has to be thrown out. 

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #51 on: 29 Nov 2016, 04:40 »

Corpse Witch always comes across as cheerful and upbeat. It's basically her default expression and might have more to do with her chassis than her mood.

In any case, what really does she have to fear at this point? Unless, as I suggested up-thread the $2 bills are marked as part of an attempt by the ATF to trap gun-runners and those who launder their profits, I doubt that there's anything in the arena that a moderately-competent lawyer (and you can bet that Corpse Witch's lawyers are good) couldn't explain away.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #52 on: 29 Nov 2016, 05:25 »

I figure Pintsize uses Jeffersons because arms dealers do and he thinks that's cool,  not that he got them from arms dealers. If he actually knew arms dealers, don't you think he would actually have better arms? I mean you can barely see them, they're much smaller than his hands :clairedoge: :claireface:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #53 on: 29 Nov 2016, 05:27 »

My new go-to line for greeting strangers (and fending off Jehova's Witnesses):

"Hi! Would you like to come inside? We're about to peel off someone's face!"

EDIT: Well, I'm still not the greatest fan of the organization per se, but ... JW are people, just like me. Making fun of them just because I can was not inspired by the better angles of my nature. In fact, it came from a place I really dislike.

Sorry 'bout that.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2016, 05:36 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #54 on: 29 Nov 2016, 05:29 »

I'm probably the only person who has never had a Jehovah's Witness come to my door and is disappointed about that. It seems like they'd be fascinating to talk to! Unless they just shut down when you try to engage in a debate.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #55 on: 29 Nov 2016, 06:07 »

face meaaaaaats

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #56 on: 29 Nov 2016, 06:26 »

I'm probably the only person who has never had a Jehovah's Witness come to my door and is disappointed about that. It seems like they'd be fascinating to talk to! Unless they just shut down when you try to engage in a debate.

I haven't had JW's come to my door, but I've read extensively about their discussion methods, and I'm less than eager to talk to them after that. They use some pretty effective arguing tricks, but from what I've heard from friends who did talk to them, they tend to either talk in circles and ignore points made by who they talk to (or should I say, "talk at"?), or their discourse gets short-circuited if you point out the sophistry they use.

YMMV.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2016, 06:44 by oddtail »

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #57 on: 29 Nov 2016, 06:40 »

Hm, now I'm imagining how the scene would play out if the JWs came to the door and Pintsize answered.  :evil:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

dexeron

• Obscure cultural reference
    • My Twitter
« Reply #58 on: 29 Nov 2016, 06:49 »

Wait... her name is actually Roko Basilisk?!

:psyduck:

Storel

« Reply #59 on: 29 Nov 2016, 08:22 »

It's not certain what her full last name is -- as TheEvilDog pointed out, she appears to have been cut off by CW's remark. Basilisk certainly seems plausible, though.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #60 on: 29 Nov 2016, 09:48 »

One other observation about this is that Roko was not intending to go in and arrest people at this moment; she was just skulking and attempting not to be seen (unsuccessfully). So she's trying to wing it with bluster. CW knows this, and also knows there won't be anything actionable in view, so there'll be no probable cause for Roku to go looking for gambling winnings stashed anywhere, or a ledger of bets taken/lost/won.

Taking down a large-scale criminal organization isn't something you do on a whim. Unless Roko has some real info and a plan, she's shooting blanks.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #61 on: 29 Nov 2016, 09:49 »

So if Roko is actually Roko's Basilisk, is she going after Corpse Witch for failing to help her come into existence?

Atherea

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #62 on: 29 Nov 2016, 11:44 »

I figure Pintsize uses Jeffersons because arms dealers do and he thinks that's cool,  not that he got them from arms dealers. If he actually knew arms dealers, don't you think he would actually have better arms? I mean you can barely see them, they're much smaller than his hands :clairedoge: :claireface:

It's also a possible reference to the common usage of 2 dollar bills in strip clubs, which feels like a very Pintsize sort of thing.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #63 on: 29 Nov 2016, 11:52 »

At the risk of derailing things with a tangential topic, Roko's Basilisk is not quite the stupidest idea I've ever heard but it's in the top two percent. 

In the first place, entropy.  Information is continually being destroyed.  The idea that sufficient information exists at some future point to make a simulation of me as I am now is a non-starter. And if some God-mode AI will decide it feels like making simulations of people (random people, not specific individuals, because entropy introduces information constraints that place specific individuals out of reach) and torturing them, then that sucks but there's nothing I can do about that. 

In the second place, even if the God-mode AI can make a perfectly accurate simulation of me, it won't be me.  I'll be dead by that time.  The existence of some simulation having my memories, personality, etc, is interesting, but it will be a different person - and for that matter a completely blameless one, since if the thing making the simulation already exists, then obviously the simulation cannot have prevented or delayed its existence.

In the third place, a willingness to modify one's own course of action based on the suffering of a hypothetical simulation is the sole reason for any such simulation to be made.  Therefore it is a horribly bad idea to modify one's course of action based on the suffering of some hypothetical simulation. Or to put this another way, if it turns out that I am the simulation, then what the hell was the point of simulating me given that I'm a simulation of someone who has logically concluded that his behavior mustn't be modified in the slightest by doing so?

In the fourth place, this is supposed to be a "Friendly" AI?  A friendly AI has such a thing as empathy IMO, and would find such a pastime repugnant.

Just sayin.'  The idea makes complete nonsense. 

tomveil

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #64 on: 29 Nov 2016, 12:47 »

Shh, don't disturb the time-travelling Singularity!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #65 on: 29 Nov 2016, 13:13 »

I think Detective Basilisk needs an update to her tactical software.

I wouldn't turn my back on Corpse Witch, for example.

Bursting into hostile territory single-handed? Either they don't have officer safety training in the QC world or else it's modified on the theory that the officer can transfer to a new chassis if the current one gets wrecked.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #66 on: 29 Nov 2016, 13:31 »

I think Detective Basilisk needs an update to her tactical software.

I wouldn't turn my back on Corpse Witch, for example.

Bursting into hostile territory single-handed? Either they don't have officer safety training in the QC world or else it's modified on the theory that the officer can transfer to a new chassis if the current one gets wrecked.

Part of the reason for my theory that Roko isn't actually a cop. She really has no clue what she is doing.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #67 on: 29 Nov 2016, 14:56 »

This paints Bubbles in a weird light to me.  The fact that she and Corpse Witch have a code phrase and SOPs for police calls makes it seem less like she's a good person in a bad place and more "willing accomplice".

Of course she's a willing accomplice. Whether she wants to be willing is another matter, but so is Faye, and everyone working there as fighter or fixer, who all know it is illegal and regardless of why any one of them is there, they all have a vested interest in not being busted.

'Raccoon' need not be a codeword, or even an in-joke, though. I read it as an off-the-cuff improvisation. Corpse Witch knows Bubbles wouldn't bother telling her about a mere raccoon, so she picks up that there is a more serious threat snooping.

Part of the reason for my theory that Roko isn't actually a cop. She really has no clue what she is doing.

Ah, maybe she just wants to meet Hank the Dismemberer too.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #68 on: 29 Nov 2016, 15:03 »

It'll turn out she works in parking enforcement, and is hoping to break a big case by herself so they'll make her a real cop. 

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #69 on: 29 Nov 2016, 15:17 »

It's been mentioned before that CW and Bubbles have been aware of Rocko/Lilac snooping around for a while, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did have some sort of Code Phrase for her.

I think that this is where Rocko has her Clouseau moment
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #70 on: 29 Nov 2016, 15:18 »

If she is imagining taking down an organized crime ring single-handed then Clouseau is also delusional.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #71 on: 29 Nov 2016, 15:44 »

'Raccoon' need not be a codeword, or even an in-joke, though. I read it as an off-the-cuff improvisation.

Dunno. Go back to http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3331. Do you see it in a new light? Maybe the in joke was there?

I see it as quite a smart move by CW etc. Officer has just burst in spectacularly on a scene that's legal, bordering on charitable. 

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #72 on: 29 Nov 2016, 16:16 »

Oh sure it's an in-joke alright, just CW isn't necessarily in. :-P

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #73 on: 29 Nov 2016, 16:56 »

If she is imagining taking down an organized crime ring single-handed then Clouseau is also delusional.

We already know she isn't interested in taking down the fighting ring.

What we don't know is what she actually does want to achieve.

Her recent actions certainly aren't illuminating.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #74 on: 29 Nov 2016, 17:23 »

Finally, we know the officer's name! "Roko Basili", hmm, is that a reference to anything? Roko sounds like possibly an anime name.

Bear in mind that "Basili" isn't the full name, she got cut off by CW. Could be Basilisk, Basilica, Bastiliatcos, or Bastiliastephloccus (she's Greek, her mother was Galatea)

Or Jeph could have gone way out there with 'Basilisk-Run'. Which  could indicate that Roko is a fan of both Ninja Gaiden and Vurez.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #75 on: 29 Nov 2016, 18:09 »

That's one of the goofiest grips on a handgun I've ever seen.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #76 on: 29 Nov 2016, 18:20 »

Reminds me more of a power tool with a rechargable power pack.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #77 on: 29 Nov 2016, 19:00 »

The weapon looks like a taser to me. We've seen jolts are an effective non-lethal way of incapacitating a robot before. Not sure how universally effective it would be on all varieties of chassis though.

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #78 on: 29 Nov 2016, 19:39 »

Bubbles' facial expressions throughout are my favourite part of today's comic
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #79 on: 29 Nov 2016, 19:55 »

You took the words out of my mouth.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #80 on: 29 Nov 2016, 20:11 »

Here we are, discussing serious matters like A.I. theory and RoboCops' attempts at infiltrating the illegal fighting ring, and when she finally makes a dramatic entrance...  Jeph goes and makes a fart joke.

I love this comic. :laugh:
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #81 on: 29 Nov 2016, 20:24 »

If I didn't know better, I'd imagine that you're somehow implying that we overanalyse the comic.  :clairedoge:

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #82 on: 29 Nov 2016, 20:29 »

Not all....nobody has yet taken over a government or universitys' supercomputer to calculate some thing like the processing power needed for self awareness.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #83 on: 29 Nov 2016, 20:31 »

Not all....nobody has yet taken over a government or universitys' supercomputer...
*glances at the SSH icon on taskbar*
*nervously taps fingers on desk*
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #84 on: 29 Nov 2016, 22:09 »

We already know she isn't interested in taking down the fighting ring.

What we don't know is what she actually does want to achieve.

Her recent actions certainly aren't illuminating.

I was thinking of the "big fish" she mentioned to Faye. She seems to believe there's something much larger and darker than Robot Fight Club. Such things are best tackled by organized crime task forces.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #85 on: 29 Nov 2016, 22:23 »

Given Bubbles' expression I don't know if May's app has a deluxe smell feature or pseudo soiling function.  I think the former since farting is one thing, but replacing her pants is another.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #86 on: 29 Nov 2016, 23:30 »

I'm pretty sure that the police report on this one will go in the big filing cabinet under 'fiascos'. So, was it Faye or did May trigger her App and, if so, why? I suspect that it was May and this was an attempt on her part to 'diffuse tension'. You only need to look at Bubbles' expression in panel 4 to see what she thinks of that idea.

Yeah, it's wrong. Shouldn't her right thumb be on the other side of the gun's body?
~~~~

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #87 on: 30 Nov 2016, 00:26 »

I'm pretty sure that the police report on this one will go in the big filing cabinet under 'fiascos'. So, was it Faye or did May trigger her App and, if so, why? I suspect that it was May and this was an attempt on her part to 'diffuse tension'. You only need to look at Bubbles' expression in panel 4 to see what she thinks of that idea.

Yeah, it's wrong. Shouldn't her right thumb be on the other side of the gun's body?
No? Why would you want your thumb in the way of the slide where it will get broken the first time you pull the trigger?
As for the rest of it, that looks like a fair representation of the Weaver Stance they teach to cops to minimise recoil recovery time and stabilise aim. Unlike the goofy over-under version you see in film and TV.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

ThomasEll

• Plantmonster
« Reply #88 on: 30 Nov 2016, 01:01 »

It looks like she's holding a taser, but the barrel is pointing at the floor...

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #89 on: 30 Nov 2016, 01:21 »

No? Why would you want your thumb in the way of the slide where it will get broken the first time you pull the trigger?

Um... No. I wasn't even suggesting that. Not on the back of the gun on the other side of  the body, around the other side of the handgrip like any creature with an opposable thumb would hold something.
~~~~

Storel

« Reply #90 on: 30 Nov 2016, 01:42 »

What slide? According to Jeph's note on Tuesday's strip, this is an "electromagnetic pulse pistol". Fairly sure those don't eject any cartridges, therefore no slide.

As for the rest of it, that looks like a fair representation of the Weaver Stance they teach to cops to minimise recoil recovery time and stabilise aim. Unlike the goofy over-under version you see in film and TV.
Why would you need to worry about recoil from an EMP gun? No solid projectiles, no recoil.

Which pretty much supports the theory that Officer Roko is not terribly competent.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #91 on: 30 Nov 2016, 02:37 »

Wouldn't an EMP pulse gun take out Lilac Roko-Basili at the same time as the other AI's? EMP's are not aimable
Depends how they're generated. And...  I can't say much more, even though it's been 30 years.

Although a taser-like weapon would qualify. Its a lot easier making a conductive path using copper wire than brute force and megavolts.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #92 on: 30 Nov 2016, 03:37 »

I've previously theorised that the existence of AIs have impelled the development of directed energy weapons technology, using superconducting electromagnetic wave-guides to force the flux out in a tight and directional cone rather than having a spherical area of effect. This particular weapon is EMP gun - which is probably restricted to police and military use for obvious reasons. However, I also think that civilians can get 'Robot Repellers', which generate an RF signal that interacts with an embedded override code in an AI's chassis that forces them to retreat from the source of the signal.

I find it unlikely that police and military chassis would have the override code installed (again, for obvious reasons). So, such a weapon would likely be ineffective on Bubbles and Pintsize. This means that Pintsize is effectively immune to a widely-available 'Robot Pepper Spray'; this would explain an awful lot about him and the amount of physical damage he suffers on a regular basis.
~~~~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #93 on: 30 Nov 2016, 03:56 »

According to Jeph's note on Tuesday's strip, this is an "electromagnetic pulse pistol".
It also said "by NERF". I wouldn't take those notes as canon, just amusing.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #94 on: 30 Nov 2016, 04:24 »

Although a taser-like weapon would qualify. Its a lot easier making a conductive path using copper wire than brute force and megavolts.

Hey, "brute force and megavolts" is my preferred problem-solving technique!  :-D

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #95 on: 30 Nov 2016, 04:48 »

But lightning is so much more fun!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #96 on: 30 Nov 2016, 06:17 »

Not all....nobody has yet taken over a government or universitys' supercomputer...
*glances at the SSH icon on taskbar*
*nervously taps fingers on desk*
Down, boy. You know how crazy the pols on Capitol hill get about the "Wisconsin Idea" thing...

Sent from my Nextbook on Tapatalk

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

OttawaJohn

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #97 on: 30 Nov 2016, 07:08 »

My guess is she is a cop but either lower ranking and this isn't her right role or it is but she was told to leave it be as it's not a real problem, or CW paid off the right people and they told her to leave it be.

I think she's investigating due to a friend or loved one being tied up in it and she's making it personal and trying to get it shut down/investigated due to that.

Or this is just playing her as an idiot that doesn't know what she's doing and it'll be laughed off later, like some of the early stuff with Pintsize and the feds or the Vespa Avenger thing :)

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #98 on: 30 Nov 2016, 07:49 »

Bubbles' expressions interest me. In the first two panels, she appears to be looking past Roko - towards CW, perhaps? In the final panel, she looks as though she'd be wrinkling her nose if she could - and we know she has a good sense of smell. It looks to me as though either May's app has olfactory as well as auditory capacity, or else it really was Faye.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #99 on: 30 Nov 2016, 09:08 »

"Omg officer! Pleaseplease don't use that crappy taser of yours on my superconducting dermal armour *stiflesyawn*"

"Hmmmmh ... if she hurts Faye or May I might have to take her face off ... "

"She. Did. Not."

"I want back into the Army ..."
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2016, 09:14 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up