THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 04:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3436-3441 (13th to 18th March 2017)  (Read 37839 times)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

New comic up but no thread yet. No poll since I'm on my phone. Persons with capability feel free to add one when they can.

Starting with Brun and Renee. Noodles and ketchup sound awful.

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
Re: WCDT Strips 3436-3441 (13th to 18th March 2017)
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2017, 21:25 »

Noodles/pasta and ketchup isn't too terrible, better with some mayo so you can pretend it's Russian dressing.  Butter and a little salt has usually been my go-to if there's no spaghetti sauce available.  A couple of packets of duck sauce left over from some Chinese food is interesting. Mustard or barbecue sauce are definitely out, though.

A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2017, 21:33 »

Ketchup on noodles?  I'd eat the noodles plain before I'd do that.

Of course, I don't actually own any ketchup, so...

(But still.)

DuneCanid

• Larger than most fish
  • MAGA Making America Greater, Always
« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2017, 21:39 »

I thought ketchup with noodles was Chinese spaghetti, way back when.

I don't understand the eww factor, though... ketchup is a tomato product, so is spaghetti sauce... A little colder.

DC, l5ls

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2017, 21:44 »

Ketchup is much sweeter
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

DuneCanid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2017, 22:01 »

Yeah, you'd want a more savory taste with heated noodles. Still... I HAVE had ketchup over pasta before, compliments of Uncle Sam. A quick lunch/dinner thing, improvised during a convoy in the hind end of Louisiana.

DC, l5ls

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2017, 22:06 »

It's not the worst, but unless you absolutely have to I don't see the point. Ketchup's just going to be more expensive than a cheap pasta sauce. Though I guess you could take a bunch of those packets from a fast food place or something.

Still not nearly as bad as when one of my students only ate cantaloupe with ketchup for a week. They had to seat him away from the other students cause they were getting so grossed out.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2017, 22:22 »

I've heard of worse things.

And I really can't talk since I like to drop in a desert spoon full of Soya Sauce in my Fires when I'm cooking them once they get to golden brown.

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2017, 22:28 »

If we're going to be on this weird food combo train I used to dip cookies into apple juice.

DuneCanid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2017, 22:30 »

Noodles/pasta and ketchup isn't too terrible, better with some mayo so you can pretend it's Russian dressing.  Butter and a little salt has usually been my go-to if there's no spaghetti sauce available.  A couple of packets of duck sauce left over from some Chinese food is interesting. Mustard or barbecue sauce are definitely out, though.

A sprinkle or two of dill or chive over the butter...not half bad at all

DC, l5ls

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2017, 22:39 »

Where would it rank on a scale from fried chicken liver with canned green beans to popcorn covered in lard?

EDIT: For context; I got to find out what 'laid off' meant in 2nd grade. We alternated between fried chicken gizzard and fried chicken liver, accompanied with a canned vegetable for 2 weeks. Thankfully it was during school.
The lard covered popcorn is a horror story courtesy of the Great Depression and how poor my maternal grandfather's family was at that time. Which was made even worse by the fact that his parents had recently emigrated from Germany to try to escape the Depression there.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2017, 21:42 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2017, 22:41 »

Yeah, you could make a case for butter and garlic,  but plain ketchup? I had it before, it's not worth the tiny bit of less hassle it is not to have/make pasta sauce. Putting just butter and parmesan or olive oil and garlic on it is just as easy and doesn't gross you out after the first bite.

But then again, Brun seems like the kind of person who wouldn't care enough, and it's nice that she cooks for her friend when she's staying over. Or is it a punishment for Renée for being obnoxious?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2017, 22:41 »

Chip Butties, everyone likes Chip Butties.

(FYI, by Chips I mean what the Yanks among you know as Fries)
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #13 on: 12 Mar 2017, 23:15 »

I don't do ketchup. Period. Of all the condiments in the world, it's just not necessary.

I'm going with the assumption that the caption is unreliable narration. (It often is with Jeph.) The other assumption is that Renee is not into Elliot, if only because it's unpleasant to contemplate (Elliot deserves somebody as sweet as he is). Brun is likely friend-zone only for Elliot, but eventually he'll find somebody who's right.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2017, 23:19 »

My childhood treat.

My brother used to have them with ketchup instead of vegemite (which we strangely refer to as tomato sauce, go figure).

I don't think I would be interested in noodles with tomato sauce, but my brother would go for it. He puts it on just about everything.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2017, 23:57 »

I MIGHT do that if I was really broke. 0_o

Brun's probably right too. Most bartenders or ex-bartenders are, regarding relationships.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2017, 00:23 »

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly these threads jump sideways into culinary discussion. I'm thinking that we have a whole lot of hungry people and/or wannabe chefs on this site! For the record, to me tomato ketchup is an invaluable tool against otherwise-tasteless foods or foods that I would otherwise find unpalatable like starchy staples and boiled vegetables.

Onto the subject of the strip itself: This is probably the first time that I've seen the comparison between Renee and Faye explained so seriously. Both women don't know how to do 'friendly communication' with people close to them so they default to teasing and borderline-outright bullying. This is the second time that Brun has given a character an existential revelation about things over which they may be in denial. Is this a precursor to the apartment burning down?

At the very least, it is the precursor to Renee deciding to drink to forget. As Brun said, she's good at this 'bartender' thing. What is really hilarious is that she didn't really say anything. She just put the idea into the air and Renee's own brain did the rest of the work!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2017, 03:32 »

[...]

Brun's probably right too. Most bartenders or ex-bartenders are, regarding relationships.

Probably.

And I for one would totally buy another drink at that point.  :-D  (So she's right about that, too.)

(Damn manipulative bartenders. ;) )

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2017, 03:51 »

Given that Jeph has called this "Elliott is Cute Week" on his Twitter feed, I feel confident in predicting that we are going to be sticking with this arc at least until Friday. However, what will happen?

I'm expecting that Renee will tell Brun that she can't act on Elliott herself because he's attracted to Brun. I suspect that this will come as news to Brun. That said, I may be doing her a disservice and she might be fully aware of Elliott's reasons for wanting to pat her head. The big question will be whether she reciprocates.

Either way, I've got a feeling that the latter half of this week will be Renee and/or Brun making Elliott very nervous by tentatively trying to work out if he is really interested in them and maybe even flirting with him in a tentative and somewhat amateurish manner (or at least behaving in a manner that you could interpret that way). Naturally, Elliott will get locked into an indecision loop about whether he is reading too much into their behaviour.

If Jeph feels like it, he can probably sustain such a holding pattern for months. However, if it's Brun who is doing the flirting, it is much more likely that she'll lose patience in the whole thing and just directly tell Elliott what she wants and what she believes he wants, leading to the proof that Ellliott can do a full-body blush.
~~~~

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #19 on: 13 Mar 2017, 05:10 »

Yeah, you could make a case for butter and garlic,  but plain ketchup? I had it before, it's not worth the tiny bit of less hassle it is not to have/make pasta sauce. Putting just butter and parmesan or olive oil and garlic on it is just as easy and doesn't gross you out after the first bite.

But then again, Brun seems like the kind of person who wouldn't care enough, and it's nice that she cooks for her friend when she's staying over. Or is it a punishment for Renée for being obnoxious?

Brun is eating it too so it doesn't appear that way. 

Once again Brun has some uncanny powers of observation that made her an effective bartender, but she still seems to be oblivious to Elliot's attraction to her. 

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #20 on: 13 Mar 2017, 05:14 »

One wonders if Brun is autistic or just odd and badly socialized?  :angel:

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #21 on: 13 Mar 2017, 06:50 »

Well, food is a universal experience. All of us at least eat food, and most of us prepare it... Even if some people's skills don't go past sandwiches and microwave dinners. I've never had spaghetti and ketchup, but I have substituted ketchup in place of tomato sauce in recipes before when I was out of sauce.  Mostly in my poorer days when I literally had to account for every penny trying to stretch from check to check. Noodles and butter sauce is a fine tradition that can be quite tasty.

I'm not sure if Brun is unaware of Elliott's attraction to her or not. That's kind of the thing, she doesn't emote much. Most of her interactions seem to be a deadpan... So a person is not really sure if she's joking or not when she breaks out the harpoon, or lets someone pet her hair.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #22 on: 13 Mar 2017, 07:07 »

Ketchup on noodles?  I'd eat the noodles plain before I'd do that.
I've been known to put peanut butter on noodles (with appt quantities of water, soy sauce, ginger, water, mango chutney and sweet chilli dipping sauce all blasted in the microwave and stirred thoroughly into a thick sauce)

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2017, 07:36 »

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly these threads jump sideways into culinary discussion.

To be fair, food preparation is central to the entire strip for today, and to Jeph's comments, even if the dialog is about something else.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2017, 09:40 »

I eat my peas with honey
(click to show/hide)
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2017, 10:04 »

Spaghetti with ketchup? Meh.

It's got nothing on deep-fried chicken feet with ketchup.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #26 on: 13 Mar 2017, 15:49 »

At the risk of starting a whole other food or semantics discussion, that's a difference I hadn't considered. To me, noodles are strictly noodles. What would be considered Chinese/Asian style noodles. Not spaghetti or as I've seen some use it, an umbrella term for all pasta styles.

Lots of people have those once unthought of combinations they like though so Brun having something like that isn't too surprising to me.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #27 on: 13 Mar 2017, 17:11 »

I mean I've used peanut butter with spaghetti with soy sauce to make something not entirely unlike sesame noodles. I like to improvise. I also despise ketchup. I can do tomato sauce, but I find the idea of calling ketchup tomato sauce to be disgustingly deceitful. Sure, it's not the intention, and most people don't hate ketchup, but expecting tomato sauce and getting ketchup would be pretty much the worst possible culinary surprise I can imagine, as long as we're involving actual food that won't make me physically sick.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #28 on: 13 Mar 2017, 17:46 »

For me the worst was thinking I was about to get some tasty chips/fries and it turning out to be parsnips.

dreed

« Reply #29 on: 13 Mar 2017, 18:42 »

I mean I've used peanut butter with spaghetti with soy sauce to make something not entirely unlike sesame noodles. I like to improvise. I also despise ketchup. I can do tomato sauce, but I find the idea of calling ketchup tomato sauce to be disgustingly deceitful. Sure, it's not the intention, and most people don't hate ketchup, but expecting tomato sauce and getting ketchup would be pretty much the worst possible culinary surprise I can imagine, as long as we're involving actual food that won't make me physically sick.

Don't come to Australia then as there is no ketchup here.   it's called tomato sauce instead.

blt

« Reply #30 on: 13 Mar 2017, 18:45 »

Maybe that's how Elliot got so big, just eating whole loaves of bread in one go.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #31 on: 13 Mar 2017, 19:07 »

Don't come to Australia then as there is no ketchup here.   it's called tomato sauce instead.
Well now I know not to eat tomato sauce in Australia. Although what do they use with pizza?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #32 on: 13 Mar 2017, 19:11 »

Apology loaf sounds delicious.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #33 on: 13 Mar 2017, 19:24 »

Well now I know not to eat tomato sauce in Australia. Although what do they use with pizza?

Tomato paste, usually.

Wagimawr

• Facebook
« Reply #34 on: 13 Mar 2017, 20:03 »

Tomato paste, usually.

Well that's fun. Here in the States you can buy both tomato paste and tomato sauce in cans. Usually "Hunt's" brand.

Almost 30 years old and I'm still unclear on the difference.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #35 on: 13 Mar 2017, 20:17 »

Ketchup over noodles sounds like something you'd do when every penny has to count, twice. My mom, child of the Depression, still thinks of real butter as a luxury, and tells stories of lard-and-ketchup sandwiches on "day-old" bread from the bakery (that being the bread no longer sold for regular price after the end of the day.)

One suspects Brun has to pay close attention to the right side of the decimal point in her financial dealings.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #36 on: 13 Mar 2017, 20:18 »

Tomato paste is thicker, a more reduced version of tomato sauce.

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #37 on: 13 Mar 2017, 20:28 »

Ah, Renee. Subtle as a sledgehammer.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #38 on: 13 Mar 2017, 20:42 »

Ketchup over noodles sounds like something you'd do when every penny has to count, twice.
But you're still spending money on ketchup, money that could be spent on not ketchup without ruining your noodles.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

klaatu

• Not quite a lurker
  • This is my happy face.
« Reply #39 on: 13 Mar 2017, 21:29 »

Is it just me, or did Jeph put a bit of extra thought into drawing Brun's bottom in an extra attractive manner in 3436?

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #40 on: 13 Mar 2017, 21:48 »

On the subject of odd foods; tortilla shells buttered and grilled, then slathered with honey peanut butter and sprinkled with generic brand Coco-Pebbles.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #41 on: 13 Mar 2017, 21:50 »

Maybe that's how Elliot got so big, just eating whole loaves of bread in one go.

Well, it's not a very large loaf...

QuestionableIntentions

« Reply #42 on: 13 Mar 2017, 22:41 »

So now Renee is sexually harrassing someone at their workplace. Stay classy Renee.

Dust

« Reply #43 on: 13 Mar 2017, 23:34 »

So now Renee is sexually harrassing someone at their workplace. Stay classy Renee.

I think she just doesn't get that you aim for the intentional spit-take when someone's drinking, not eating.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #44 on: 14 Mar 2017, 00:17 »

Firstly, I believe that there should be more people making Apology Loaves in this world.

Secondly, much to Elliott's discomfort, it seems that Renee has a uniquely individual methodology in determining whether or not she is attracted to someone. Here's a pro-tip Renee: No matter how embarrassing you find it, it is always better to discuss these things first! Do this before you ask them to disrobe so you can determine if they are physically desirable.

You know... after Hannelore and the muffins and now this, I'm wondering if Jeph doesn't eat baked goods the way the rest of us do!
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2017, 00:58 by BenRG »
~~~~

Delator

• In my own little world
« Reply #45 on: 14 Mar 2017, 01:03 »

Kudos to Renee, but it feels to me like she's not even clear why she's apologizing.

Yeah, it was a bit low to call out Elliott regarding Brun, but the context is more important in this instance.

R: "Elliot, back me up here."
E: "I think she should do what she wants."
R: *sticks foot in mouth*

Elliot's statement was true regardless of his feelings for Brun. Renee only turned things around on him when he didn't give her the answer she wanted.

That's what she should be apologizing for.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Tawdry Quirks

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #46 on: 14 Mar 2017, 02:05 »

You know... after Hannelore and the muffins and now this, I'm wondering if Jeph doesn't eat baked goods the way the rest of us do!

And there's also these tweets about bread (the first tweet thread mentions trying to swallow a whole loaf of bread), so there's definitely something peculiar going on in his bakery department.

https://twitter.com/jephjacques/status/737837523372773376
https://twitter.com/jephjacques/status/737838231123841024

edit: Is there a way to merely link to tweets instead of having the text of the tweet embed in the post?  I tried posting the links using the standard url tags and was surprised it didn't work.  The other forum I visit that uses Simple Machines doesn't have a special Twitter tag.
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2017, 02:22 by Tawdry Quirks »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #47 on: 14 Mar 2017, 02:52 »

One wonders if Brun is autistic....   :angel:

Yeah, been wondering that (or something of that ilk) since her first appearance.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #48 on: 14 Mar 2017, 03:45 »

My motto has long been "Man shall not live on bread alone, but he can damn well try."

blt

« Reply #49 on: 14 Mar 2017, 04:01 »

Well, it's not a very large loaf...

Maybe it is, just not by comparison to the eater. :-P
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up