THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3436-3441 (13th to 18th March 2017)  (Read 37445 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: WCDT Strips 3436-3441 (13th to 18th March 2017)
« Reply #100 on: 15 Mar 2017, 14:09 »

It just occurred to me that the first time we met Elliot, he was talking to Jim.

I think Jeph had an idea for the character he drew, but wasn't sure what to do with him. When the whole issue of bosses came up, he repurposed the character - sans tattoo on the neck.

Sent from my Nextbook on Tapatalk

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #101 on: 15 Mar 2017, 14:20 »

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that if the genders were reserved people would be up in arms.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #102 on: 15 Mar 2017, 15:25 »

Ketchup over noodles sounds like something you'd do when every penny has to count, twice.
But you're still spending money on ketchup, money that could be spent on not ketchup without ruining your noodles.

Let's just say that some things are available in cut-rate, dollar-store versions and some things aren't, and you go with what you know -- or can help yourself to free packets of when the opportunity presents itself. I have a friend whose art-school stories of creative ways to intake calories when the choice was art supplies or food made me appreciate my own memories of college cafeterias -- and we were both doing much better then, than a lot of people we knew.
Yeah, I really don't think I can portray in words how disgusting I find ketchup, to the point that I won't order hamburgers at fast food places because it's put on by default. Yeah, I could just say "without ketchup," but I shouldn't fucking have to. Honestly, menus everywhere should list every single thing that's included by default, so you know what to request that they omit.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #103 on: 15 Mar 2017, 15:36 »

Yeah, I really don't think I can portray in words how disgusting I find ketchup, to the point that I won't order hamburgers at fast food places because it's put on by default. Yeah, I could just say "without ketchup," but I shouldn't fucking have to. Honestly, menus everywhere should list every single thing that's included by default, so you know what to request that they omit.

Why? The overwhelming majority of people do want food as it's normally prepared. Add that to the fact that people are less likely to order when presented with too many options, so it's a better business strategy to simplify. And the worst case scenario if you say "without Ketchup" is that the employee says "None of our burgers come with Ketchup on them."

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #104 on: 15 Mar 2017, 15:39 »

Well, I guess that answers that question then.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #105 on: 15 Mar 2017, 15:44 »

Why? The overwhelming majority of people do want food as it's normally prepared. Add that to the fact that people are less likely to order when presented with too many options, so it's a better business strategy to simplify. And the worst case scenario if you say "without Ketchup" is that the employee says "None of our burgers come with Ketchup on them."
Ehh, if it was only ketchup that'd be one thing. But there's also mayo, and who knows what else. That's one of the reasons I'd be thrilled if they replaced people with touchscreens where you could order a burger with exactly like you want with no stress. Anyone familiar with Wawa? That's how you order sandwiches there. It's wonderful.

I'd also feel bad, because making my extremely rare fast food visit more convenient shouldn't cost thousands of people their jobs.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #106 on: 15 Mar 2017, 16:41 »

If she's gonna date Elliot, she has a lot of teasing to make up for. Consider that his first reaction to 'take of your shirt' is to assume she's gonna prank him.  :-P
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2017, 18:03 by shanejayell »

Wetman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #107 on: 15 Mar 2017, 17:47 »

Are there any "curvy" men in the QC? We have Renee, Faye, previously Marigold, and a little for Brun for curvy women but I don't seem to recall any curvy men, or any men with a little extra around the belly or chest. I mean I thought Elliot might be the first but that has been proven wrong with this recent strip.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #108 on: 15 Mar 2017, 18:05 »

I THINK one of the 'Bro Chorus' was a bit chunky. That's about all I can think of...

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #109 on: 15 Mar 2017, 18:21 »

Well, there's Marigold's dad, but we've seen him exactly once.

And Chad. Not the one who was (ahem) "entertaining" Claire's mom, but the sexist ass who sold a microphone to Sam. (I still maintain that they are not the same person.)
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Wetman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #110 on: 15 Mar 2017, 18:46 »

So the techophobe conspiracy theorist and a computer douche bag who's only appearance it titled "Fucking Chad, Man" and "Chad is just the worst." I hope we big beautiful men can get some good representation eventually, considering this is the go to comic for a wide variety of body types.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #111 on: 15 Mar 2017, 18:47 »

The strip I was talking about.

I contend that Elliot is talking with proto-Jim in that second panel. Consider how different Renee looked then to what she looks like today, and I think you can see what I'm talking about.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #112 on: 15 Mar 2017, 18:50 »

I buy that it's Elliot, but there's no fucking way that's Jim.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #113 on: 15 Mar 2017, 18:50 »

So the techophobe conspiracy theorist and a computer douche bag who's only appearance it titled "Fucking Chad, Man" and "Chad is just the worst." I hope we big beautiful men can get some good representation eventually, considering this is the go to comic for a wide variety of body types.
Yeah but  would draw the line at a neckbeard outside of a cameo.
Fortunately the classic neckbeards are few and clustered well away from where  frequent but still their encounters are traumatizing to ones view of humanity as a viable species.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #114 on: 15 Mar 2017, 18:59 »

I buy that it's Elliot, but there's no fucking way that's Jim.

The reason why is that I think Jeph really didn't know who that character was going to be. When he needed an owner of the shop, he decided to go with someone a bit older, not realizing/remembering he'd originally made the character much younger.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #115 on: 15 Mar 2017, 19:14 »

Or he used that character as a sort of physical basis for a new one. Whoever that character is probably doesn't work there anymore. Also, I doubt Jim would give that sort of advice.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #116 on: 15 Mar 2017, 20:11 »

Eliot is "big and beautiful".
Men with the body type you describe - like me - are fat.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #117 on: 15 Mar 2017, 20:28 »

And updated.  :laugh:  Poor Elliot.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #118 on: 15 Mar 2017, 20:30 »

"Sorry, boss. You didn't say Simon Says."

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #119 on: 15 Mar 2017, 20:48 »

I'd say that hopefully, this results in a firing which puts Renee on the bus, but that's probably wishful thinking. I wasn't fond of Brun to start with, but she's grown on me, if only as a secondary character. Unfortunately, her connections with Renee probably mean we won't be seeing the end of her any time soon. People may draw comparisons to her and early Faye, but unlike her Georgian counterpart, Renee has yet to show very much in the way of redeeming qualities.

And damn, Elliot. For a guy with those shoulders, you don't have a lot of spine between them.

EDIT: A word
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2017, 21:19 by neurocase »

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #120 on: 15 Mar 2017, 21:03 »

Ketchup over noodles sounds like something you'd do when every penny has to count, twice.
But you're still spending money on ketchup, money that could be spent on not ketchup without ruining your noodles.

Let's just say that some things are available in cut-rate, dollar-store versions and some things aren't, and you go with what you know -- or can help yourself to free packets of when the opportunity presents itself. I have a friend whose art-school stories of creative ways to intake calories when the choice was art supplies or food made me appreciate my own memories of college cafeterias -- and we were both doing much better then, than a lot of people we knew.

Ah, OK. (smile, nod, back slowly away)
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #121 on: 15 Mar 2017, 21:07 »

If Renee gets fired, it means neither Brun nor Renee have any means of support. Harsh.

For Renee, I'm expecting more along the lines of a dressing-down (see what I did there) than a firing. Unless Renee has a history of harassing other employees, firing seems a little strong. Assuming she's a decent baker, they'd probably want to keep her; those hours are not very attractive, so unless Jim wants to start coming in early, he's probably not about to pink-slip Renee.

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #122 on: 15 Mar 2017, 21:25 »

Elliot is so adorable.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #123 on: 15 Mar 2017, 21:28 »

Are there any "curvy" men in the QC? We have Renee, Faye, previously Marigold, and a little for Brun for curvy women but I don't seem to recall any curvy men, or any men with a little extra around the belly or chest. I mean I thought Elliot might be the first but that has been proven wrong with this recent strip.

To me Elliot is very tall and very muscular, I'm not sure I'd call him "curvy."
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #124 on: 15 Mar 2017, 22:36 »

Dora described her father as "pudgy" (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1041) but I don't quite see it in how he's drawn.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gyrre

« Reply #125 on: 15 Mar 2017, 23:21 »

Eliot is "big and beautiful".
Men with the body type you describe - like me - are fat.
We're not all fat. Some of us are a bit pudgy, chunky, or doughy. And sometimes it accompanies large skeletal frames (regardless of height).

I'm 5'5" (~165cm) and 218 lb (~99kg) with broad shoulders and a barrel chest to boot.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #126 on: 15 Mar 2017, 23:27 »

Elliot seems in good shape, but a teeny bit pudgy - no real muscle definition.  Anyway, more important issue - who is "babe"?

Also, I tend to find that teeny bit of sugar some brands of marinara sauce add nearly unpalatable - I can't imagine how ketchup would taste, plus the different spice profile (typically more from the allspice/cinnamon end).
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #127 on: 15 Mar 2017, 23:41 »

We're not all fat. Some of us are a bit pudgy, chunky, or doughy. And sometimes it accompanies large skeletal frames (regardless of height).

There's also the matter of personal perspective.  I consider myself rather fat at 6'4" 240.  Then again, I have been careful to avoid adding a bunch of muscle mass.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #128 on: 16 Mar 2017, 00:04 »

For some reason, I'm expecting the first words Jim will say to Renee are: "Well, I was sort of wondering when this would happen." You see, it's pretty difficult to get mad at, or stay mad at, a woman who I strongly suspect will look seriously traumatised as she tries to stop herself thinking by mass-producing muffins.

I'm expecting all Renee will be able to say to be something like: "It isn't true. It can't be true." The 'locked herself in the kitchen' thing makes me think that this revelation is a lot more unwelcome and upsetting than I previously thought.

FWIW, I don't think Elliott remained shirtless because no-one told him to put it back on. I think he remained shirtless because he was far too busy worrying about Renee's breakdown to think clearly about the fact that he rather should be putting his shirt back on. That's because he's one of life's good guys and he is more prone to worry about others than he does about himself.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

DuneCanid

• Larger than most fish
  • MAGA Making America Greater, Always
« Reply #129 on: 16 Mar 2017, 00:53 »

Quote from: jheartney
If Renee gets fired, it means neither Brun nor Renee have any means of support. Harsh.

Not being aware of Mass's lag time re: unemployment or JJ's time line, Brun may soon be getting  state checks.  If Brun knows anything about baking, she might eventually end up with renee's position

Quote from: jheartney
For Renee, I'm expecting more along the lines of a dressing-down (see what I did there) than a firing. Unless Renee has a history of harassing other employees, firing seems a little strong. Assuming she's a decent baker, they'd probably want to keep her; those hours are not very attractive, so unless Jim wants to start coming in early, he's probably not about to pink-slip Renee.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #130 on: 16 Mar 2017, 01:10 »

I'd say that hopefully, this results in a firing which puts Renee on the bus
What??? And deprive us of all the proto-romantic shenanigans for which we're clearly being set up?

Renee is a pain, but every soap opera needs a character that people love to hate.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #131 on: 16 Mar 2017, 01:25 »

I'd say that hopefully, this results in a firing which puts Renee on the bus, but that's probably wishful thinking.
I know you have the "employment at will" thing in the USA (I have no idea how MA state law would interfere), but I'd be a bit surprised if this was a one-strike-and-you're-out matter. The boss could argue that asking a co-worker to take their top off would be sexual harassment, or "creating a hostile workplace", I suppose, but considering the shenanigans people get up to in the workplace in QCverse all the time, I can't see it happening.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Gyrre

« Reply #132 on: 16 Mar 2017, 01:56 »

There's also the matter of personal perspective.  I consider myself rather fat at 6'4" 240.  Then again, I have been careful to avoid adding a bunch of muscle mass.

That's partly why I brought up skeletal frame sizes.

Rough field test: Take your dominant hand and tightly grasp your opposite wrist with just the thumb and middle finger.
If your thumb and middle finger overlap, probably a small bone frame ('lanky' if tall).
If the tips touch, probably  a medium bone frame.
If there's a gap between the tips, probably a large bone frame ('stocky' if short).

This is more taking into account bone width rather than bone length. And, yes, it's ultimately the source of the euphemism "big boned". Which is often true, just with excess body fat.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #133 on: 16 Mar 2017, 02:23 »

Yeah, mine overlap.  Aside from my hips/butt, I'd be a stick figure if I ate better and didn't drink (I started again the night of 8 Nov).
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #134 on: 16 Mar 2017, 04:02 »

For Renee, I'm expecting more along the lines of a dressing-down
In real life, judging by my own experience in the food trade, it would be "Hey ho, just another day at the office". I've seen weirder things than that happen goodness knows how many times.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #135 on: 16 Mar 2017, 04:13 »

I know you have the "employment at will" thing in the USA (I have no idea how MA state law would interfere), but I'd be a bit surprised if this was a one-strike-and-you're-out matter. The boss could argue that asking a co-worker to take their top off would be sexual harassment, or "creating a hostile workplace", I suppose, but considering the shenanigans people get up to in the workplace in QCverse all the time, I can't see it happening.
If it's a larger corporation and the offender is any less than an executive, insta-firing for sexual harassment accusations is actually quite common, even in states that don't have at-will employment.

Ultimately, the worst that will happen if an employer fires someone on an accusation is that, if a judge rules in an unemployment hearing that the firing was without valid cause, unemployment compensation (and potentially back pay in a state that doesn't have at-will employment) will be provided to the former employee, and unemployment insurance rates for the employer will go up slightly. And, on a sexual harassment accusation, that would almost always be found to be a termination with cause.

Conversely, if they don't fire on the first accusation, they're opening themselves up to liability for creating an unsafe work environment, which could cost them millions in a sexual harassment lawsuit.

As far as smaller employers go, there's less institutional knowledge on the correct responses to sexual harassment, there's less bureaucracy (no formal HR department) to use against a harasser, and there's more likelihood that the harasser is a higher-up in the company (which in any company is more likely to result in no action taken, because a higher-up has more ability to stop the investigation or firing, and because the company values the higher-up more). And, note that many of the workplaces shown in QC have been smaller employers...

And then, food service is another level worse than small employers in general (even - maybe even especially - when it's megacorp food service, due to how those are structured), as I understand - a lot of workers in food service don't know their rights in this regard, there's no HR department to go to, and sexual harassment also comes from the customers.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #136 on: 16 Mar 2017, 04:31 »

FWIW, I don't think Elliott remained shirtless because no-one told him to put it back on. I think he remained shirtless because he was far too busy worrying about Renee's breakdown to think clearly about the fact that he rather should be putting his shirt back on. That's because he's one of life's good guys and he is more prone to worry about others than he does about himself.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened, though; see http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1930. (Admittedly, he did offer to escort Hannelore home, but still...)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #137 on: 16 Mar 2017, 04:42 »

That previous strip seems to be more a reflection of Hannelore and Elliott's combined social awkwardness leaving them essentially high-and-dry with each other and with no idea what to do next.

It does establish a pattern with Elliott easily being locked into an indecision and hesitation loop when he's forced out of his social comfort zone. I suspect that's what's being happening today: He literally doesn't know what to do about Renee's breakdown and he's essentially locked up trying to work out what to do next. What Jim basically told him is to worry about putting his shirt on first.

So, onto another subject: Sam isn't feeling well. I'm wondering if this will 'splash' onto other cast members? Momo being roped into help as she is, by definition, immune to micro-organisms, for example? Or even something like this:

VERONICA: "I'm sorry about that, Faye. Sam's on the hard cold medication and she's a bit out of it as a result!"

FAYE: "Man! I never realised the kid knew so many cuss words!"
~~~~

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #138 on: 16 Mar 2017, 05:40 »

I'd say that hopefully, this results in a firing which puts Renee on the bus, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Exactly.  I don't think Jim is all that pleased by this, but Renee is the Secret Bakery's Faye and like Dora Jim probably has a higher toleration for shenanigans than most bosses as long as she's a good worker.  This isn't like being caught on the job drinking. 

I don't care much for Renee, but I don't know why people are so eager for her to get fired over this.  It certainly wouldn't help Brun's predicament much. 

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #139 on: 16 Mar 2017, 06:03 »

I know Jim's feeling in Panel 4 way too well.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #140 on: 16 Mar 2017, 06:27 »

Ah, OK. (smile, nod, back slowly away)
Is there really no food that you find utterly abhorrent?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #141 on: 16 Mar 2017, 06:44 »

No, you're right. IRL, this would put Renee on the bus, period, end of sentence. I've had to deal with this kind of situation as the manager, and it's one of the instant-firing-moments, up with threatening another employee,  being caught drinking on the job, or being caught stealing from the till.

But this is the QCverse, where those rules are lightened.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #142 on: 16 Mar 2017, 09:59 »

Cold medicine? Didn't he see 'House M.D.' to know how dangerous that is? What happened to a free day off school?

IRL, this would put Renee on the bus, period, end of sentence. I've had to deal with this kind of situation as the manager, and it's one of the instant-firing-moments, up with threatening another employee,  being caught drinking on the job, or being caught stealing from the till.
I would think that would be only the case if she was a superior of him, I suppose the shop wasn't open yet either and they were the only two there. Then it would just boil down to consent. Come to think about it I heard about stories about things happening in an hot file archive and management knew who they were. Personally I have been slapped on the butt by my direct superior once. As for booze I remember a boss refilling my champagne glass once more and it was a morning meeting.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #143 on: 16 Mar 2017, 10:14 »

So, onto another subject: Sam isn't feeling well.   I'm wondering if this will 'splash' onto other cast members? Momo being roped into help as she is, by definition, immune to micro-organisms, for example? Or even something like this:

VERONICA: "I'm sorry about that, Faye. Sam's on the hard cold medication and she's a bit out of it as a result!"

FAYE: "Man! I never realised the kid knew so many cuss words!"
Or a Sam health crisis arc waiting in the wings.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #144 on: 16 Mar 2017, 11:30 »

Or a Sam health crisis arc waiting in the wings.

if you've ever had kids that age, you'd know that the days when they don't have some sort of sniffles/bug are the exception. Grade school kids are illness magnets.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #145 on: 16 Mar 2017, 12:23 »

I'm thinking that most people on this board just don't see it that way. Typically, sexual harassment isn't done as a plea with puppy-dog eyes as in panel 2 here.

Reverse the roles: Elliot is sympathetically pleading with Renee to take her shirt off.

Still feel that way?
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #146 on: 16 Mar 2017, 12:58 »

Sometimes I get the feeling that Elliott is a bit slow on the uptake.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #147 on: 16 Mar 2017, 14:50 »

Is there really no food that you find utterly abhorrent?

Plenty. None, though, that I don't recognize as being liked/put up with in the absence of any alternative by someone not me. You finally did get around to explaining why it was inconceivable (yes, it means what I think it means) to you that someone would see ketchup as a means of adding at least some interest to a food consumed because it was affordable, hence my smiling, nodding and backing slowly away.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #148 on: 16 Mar 2017, 15:03 »

I'm thinking that most people on this board just don't see it that way. Typically, sexual harassment isn't done as a plea with puppy-dog eyes as in panel 2 here.

Reverse the roles: Elliot is sympathetically pleading with Renee to take her shirt off.

Still feel that way?

Probably not because being begged to remove her blouse is far more threatening to a woman than it could possibly be for a man.
~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #149 on: 16 Mar 2017, 15:40 »

Especially given how much larger Elliott is than Rene. Sure, we know them well enough that Elliott is way to meek to ever attack Rene. But what if we were an outside who saw that. Or what if it wasn't those two, but two other co workers and a guy who had a foot and a half and a hundred pounds asked his female associate to disrobe. What Rene did was wrong, period. That sort of thing has no place in a place of business at all. Given that they are friends-ish at least, if it was done somewhere privately, either of them asking that would have been... awkward, iffish... But not anyone else's business if the other was a willing participant. Even if that was true one friend asking another to strip at work is an offense that could very well get them fired. I don't think Jim will do that, but she's certainly going to get a well deserved yelling.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up