THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 19:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3436-3441 (13th to 18th March 2017)  (Read 37851 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
Re: WCDT Strips 3436-3441 (13th to 18th March 2017)
« Reply #150 on: 16 Mar 2017, 17:29 »

For Renee, I'm expecting more along the lines of a dressing-down
In real life, judging by my own experience in the food trade, it would be "Hey ho, just another day at the office". I've seen weirder things than that happen goodness knows how many times.
But it's usually the customers being weird.

So glad I finally got out of the service industry.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #151 on: 16 Mar 2017, 19:04 »

Comic's up.

And yes, Renee, that totally is the lesson.

"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #152 on: 16 Mar 2017, 19:09 »

I'm glad that Jim brought up the 'that could be sexual harassment' thing to her. Was funny too.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #153 on: 16 Mar 2017, 20:03 »

"...shouldn't be allowed to interact with other humans." Renee shows a glimmer of self-awareness. Huzzah.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #154 on: 16 Mar 2017, 21:04 »

...  If Brun knows anything about baking, she might eventually end up with renee's position

And wearing the Kiki bow again!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #155 on: 16 Mar 2017, 22:51 »

"...shouldn't be allowed to interact with other humans." Renee shows a glimmer of self-awareness. Huzzah.

I'll say it again.  I think this is why she and Brun are friends.  They both have problems interacting with people.  Perhaps that's how they met. 

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #156 on: 17 Mar 2017, 00:19 »

To me the important lesson is the complete wrongheadedness of automatic categorisations of actions as certain forms of offence. I mean, it's pretty clear that Renee didn't even think of that and so do lots of people  so accused. All pursuing it does is create grievance that makes it more likely that the next time it is done with malice.

As to what Renee does think of in panel 4? Well, that's kind of worrying; there is a lot of undirected anger there. Maybe that's the problem in the end. She's always been bad at judging boundaries and treating people in the right way. In  the end, she's just given up and decided to respond on reflex. If this goof teaches her nothing at all, it might be to encourage her to try to start thinking ahead again. Jim was right in leaving it at "think about what you're doing next time."

I'll say it again.  I think this is why she and Brun are friends.  They both have problems interacting with people.  Perhaps that's how they met. 

Just because people have different behavioural issues doesn't mean that this is what brings them together.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #157 on: 17 Mar 2017, 00:39 »

Probably not because being begged to remove her blouse is far more threatening to a woman than it could possibly be for a man.

"Threatening" isn't the point.

"Creates an uncomfortable/potentially hostile workplace" is the point. It puts Elliot in the position of needing to consider what potential consequences refusing could have on his job/continued working relationship with Renee, etc.

There's a reason laws about this kind of thing exist, and while it is often for the protection of women, it isn't exclusively for women.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #158 on: 17 Mar 2017, 01:01 »

I've seen weirder things than that happen goodness knows how many times.
You must have worked with a much more head screwed on bunch than me then.

Although I think few of us would have objected to labels like unconventional or eccentric.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2017, 01:13 by JimC »

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #159 on: 17 Mar 2017, 01:56 »

To me the important lesson is the complete wrongheadedness of automatic categorisations of actions as certain forms of offence. I mean, it's pretty clear that Renee didn't even think of that and so do lots of people  so accused. All pursuing it does is create grievance that makes it more likely that the next time it is done with malice.

As to what Renee does think of in panel 4? Well, that's kind of worrying; there is a lot of undirected anger there. Maybe that's the problem in the end. She's always been bad at judging boundaries and treating people in the right way. In  the end, she's just given up and decided to respond on reflex. If this goof teaches her nothing at all, it might be to encourage her to try to start thinking ahead again. Jim was right in leaving it at "think about what you're doing next time."

Just because people have different behavioural issues doesn't mean that this is what brings them together.

No, but there is quite the possibility that she was out with a group and having difficulty mingling and the only other having as many problems was Brun. 

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #160 on: 17 Mar 2017, 05:15 »

I mean, it's pretty clear that Renee didn't even think of that and so do lots of people  so accused.
What people think about their own actions, or fail to think about them, is not authoritative or decisive in deciding whether they are offensive or acceptable to others.

Good "counselling" from Jim though. Focus on the behaviour, not the individual. Self-flagellation is not required.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #161 on: 17 Mar 2017, 12:04 »

in my experience it's precisely social interaction problems that bring together social outcasts. It explained nearly all of my high school social milieu.

This isn't to say it's a bad thing. Brun and Renee probably benefit each other, at least when Renee isn't trying to bigfoot Brun's friendship choices.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #162 on: 17 Mar 2017, 13:50 »

*Singsong Voice*

Renee's got a cru-ush
Renee's got a cru-ush

:-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #163 on: 17 Mar 2017, 17:25 »

Good "counselling" from Jim though. Focus on the behaviour, not the individual. Self-flagellation is not required.

Yes, for what it's worth I think Jim handled that just right, probably because it's a small enough business that he knows both of the people involved pretty well.

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #164 on: 18 Mar 2017, 13:46 »

As an attorney, I can tell you that a "hostile environment" sexual harassment claim CAN be brought based on one incident, but it's a lot less likely to be successful, especially if management takes the step of counseling the offender. Here's the EEOC position:

Petty slights, annoyances, and isolated incidents (unless extremely serious) will not rise to the level of illegality. To be unlawful, the conduct must create a work environment that would be intimidating, hostile, or offensive to reasonable people.

AND:

Although the law doesn’t prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted).

You could certainly make the argument that asking another employee to disrobe is pretty serious, but given the immediate reaction by upper management, it'd be a tough case to prevail on.

And yes, if Elliot had asked it of Renee, it wouldn't be funny. But he didn't. She did, and it's so incongruous that I at least was amused. And I don't even like Renee very much.

Baphomet

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #165 on: 19 Mar 2017, 05:54 »

Strongly disagree. Semi-relatedly, I had a food service job with a young female coworker who always did dishes topless.

MaxAxe

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #166 on: 20 Mar 2017, 11:59 »

I am just going to leave this here: I quit reading this comic. I liked the androids, I liked the people, and I liked the kindness. I do not care for the way that the author portrays men; because I'm not trying to troll, or argue, I will not be any more specific.

Sorry, not sorry, just disappointed.

It was fun while it lasted.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #167 on: 20 Mar 2017, 12:05 »

So you're prepared to tell us that you don't like something, but not what you don't like.  That makes it about you and not the comic; so as we don't know you, I guess there's nothing more to discuss here.

But if you change your mind and decide to reveal the secret reason for your dislike, then I'm sure people will be interested to discuss it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #168 on: 20 Mar 2017, 12:59 »

Jeph doesn't portray "men". He portrays individuals, some of whom happen to be men. The male characters in QC display a range of personalities and motivations, just like the female characters do. So saying you don't like the way Jeph portrays "men" means nothing because they are no more a monolithic block in QC than they are in the real world.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #169 on: 20 Mar 2017, 14:20 »

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #170 on: 20 Mar 2017, 17:27 »

And honestly, signing up to a board to JUST say you're leaving the fandom? Really?  :lol:

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #171 on: 20 Mar 2017, 17:31 »

And honestly, signing up to a board to JUST say you're leaving the fandom? Really?  :lol:
Hi, I'm brand new here. Goodbye forever.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #172 on: 20 Mar 2017, 20:04 »

It is the Captain Spalding gambit - Hello I must be going.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Gyrre

« Reply #173 on: 20 Mar 2017, 21:04 »

Although I think few of us would have objected to labels like unconventional or eccentric.

I worked at a Walmart for a few years. I've also worked at a McDonald's and a Dollar General.
Though, there's a special term for some shoppers; 'Walmartians'. A portmanteau of 'Walmart' and 'martian'.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #174 on: 21 Mar 2017, 00:01 »

I worked at a Walmart for a few years. I've also worked at a McDonald's and a Dollar General.
Though, there's a special term for some shoppers; 'Walmartians'. A portmanteau of 'Walmart' and 'martian'.
After looking at the site www.peopleofwalmart.com a couple of times I can clearly understand what you mean. Some of the stuff posted there is weird. Really Weird.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up