THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MonsterVerse (Godzilla & Kong Shared Universe)  (Read 7160 times)

TheEvilDog

MonsterVerse (Godzilla & Kong Shared Universe)
« on: 15 Mar 2017, 11:54 »

With the release of Kong: Skull Island, Legendary's own shared universe has become a reality.

Taking a page from the MCU (as well as three of its stars), Kong (no spoilers) has set up the next film in the franchise via a post credit scene. But more importantly, we have background for the series, as well as some key information.

The next film will be 2019's Godzilla: King of the Monsters, which will be directed by Michael Dougherty (who directed Trick 'r Treat and Krampus, as well as a writer of X2, X-Men Apocalypse and Superman Returns), followed by Godzilla Vs Kong in 2020.

So anyone else excited?

TheEvilDog

Re: MonsterVerse (Godzilla & Kong Shared Universe)
« Reply #1 on: 08 Apr 2017, 20:05 »

Okay, a couple of months ago, Legendary announced the "writer's room" they had put together to develop the Monsterverse and to help put together a script for Godzilla vs Kong. The team is headed up by;
Terry Rossio (who wrote an unused script for Tristar's '98 Godzilla). Don't hold that against him, Terry Rossio is one of the most successful scriptwriters of the last 25 years, as his credits include Disney's Aladdin, PotC: Curse of the Black Pearl and Shrek.
J. Michael Straczynski, most famous for creating Babylon 5, Sense8 and the 2011 Thor film.
T.S. Nowlin, who has written the screenplay for Pacific Rim: Uprising.
Patrick McKay, writer for Star Trek Beyond and the upcoming Star Trek sequel.
J.D. Payne, worked with Patrick McKay on the Star Trek films.
Lindsey Beer, something of a wildcard, but she has been announced as the writer for several upcoming projects, including M.A.S.K. (Yes, the 80s Cartoon/toyline), Dungeons and Dragons and the remake of Short Circuit (Johnny 5 is alive?)
Cat Vasko - Who wrote Grrl Scouts
Jack Paglen, writer of Transcendence (2010) and Alien: Covenant

So its a pretty good looking mix of writers, looks like they really want to make sure the shared universe gets off to the right start, especially with J. Micheal Straczynski on the team, his experience with tying together a universe.

Still waiting on that remake of the Beast from 20,000 Fathoms...

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2019, 08:05 »

Dusting the cobwebs off this thread because, well, its relevant again.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters has been released and has currently made around $300 million at the box office. There are some concerns however that given the film's budget ($170m) and marketing costs, KotM might barely break even.

That said, Michael Dougherty has confirmed that a fan favourite kaiju was in the film. Just not how you expected them.
(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2019, 08:17 »

I am watching "WatchMojo" covering easter eggs from the movie we may not have noticed and one of them made me so happy.

(click to show/hide)

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2019, 09:08 »

Yeah, there are several little easter eggs and links that a lot of people miss.
(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2019, 09:14 »

I wonder if Jonah is going to be swallowed up by a titanic whale. The Titan "Moby Dick" may suffice here.   :-P
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2019, 09:29 »

Hell, I'd settle for him getting killed like Samuel L Jackson did in Skull Island.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2019, 15:39 »

Also, there is only one scene I want to see in Godzilla vs King Kong next year.

(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2019, 11:44 »

Not sure if I shared this here before (the forum that is) but here is a Warhammer 40k Tyranid army modeled to look like Godzilla characters. Its Hive Fleet Gojira!
https://imgur.com/gallery/pJtGTVm

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2019, 15:09 »

I finally watched Godzilla: King of the Monsters and I didn't know I was gonna get as emotional during the fight scenes as I did. Not full on crying, but some tears streaming down my face during the climactic fight

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2019, 18:35 »

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2019, 18:40 »

Pages: [1]   Go Up