Pintsize + espresso machine love plot, with added metal phallus
Clinton is living on the streets after failing to make rent
Elliot plucks up the courage to ask Brun out
More sartorial delights from Bubbles
Steve eats cereal
Hannelore learns she's actually a human-AI hybrid experiment
Something else!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3506 to 3510 (19 June to 23 June 2017)  (Read 42953 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT Strips 3506 to 3510 (19 June to 23 June 2017)
« Reply #150 on: 22 Jun 2017, 04:52 »

Don't mind Case, he's just feeling a little perky.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #151 on: 22 Jun 2017, 05:03 »

Don't mind Case, he's just feeling a little perky.

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

DannyboyTheDane

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #152 on: 22 Jun 2017, 05:06 »

Welcome, new person!

If Dora did express that opinion... my immediate reaction is to wonder whether this opinion was formed, not on her own, but during discussion with her therapist.

There are two sides to every relationship difficulty, and yes, Dora was very insecure, but it's not an unfair observation to make, IMO, that Marten did not (and does not) handle insecurity well. Considering how well balanced Marten normally is, this is one of the very few scenarios that Marten fails to handle with equanimity (the other one that comes to mind being his mother expressing her sexuality).

Considering Marten's sure handling of his and Claire's relationship in all other respects, his loss of balance here is notable.

Thank you!

I'm curious, how do you read Marten as not handling insecurity well? It strikes me that I'm not entirely sure what metrics we're looking at. As for this particular situation, is his reaction not more rooted in his own insecurity than in his handling of others'? It turns out to be about Claire's insecurity, which is very understandable, but his initial reaction seems to be "Oh, shit, I don't want my girlfriend to learn about one of my low points and my actions during it!"

EDIT: Huh, I just read it back with this point in mind, and I noticed something new: Throughout the majority of the two strips, Marten appears concerned about having his shameful past explored; he seems genuinely surprised at Claire's question if he still misses Padma, and both that and his swift, clearly worrying (I'm not sure if that's the most accurate word here) and insisting reassurance of her leads me to believe he hadn't, up until that point, considered that Claire could feel insecure about it. I guess in that respect you could say he may not be the most attentive regarding the insecurities of his partners - if for no other reason than that any doubt about his love for his partners is so far from his mind that he maybe tends to underestimate its presence in the minds of his partners.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2017, 05:26 by DannyboyTheDane »

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #153 on: 22 Jun 2017, 05:26 »

I think you're right that his initial reaction is rooted in his own insecurity. There isn't just one factor causing this ripple. There's a layering of emotions here.

But consider the level of alarm in response to Claire's question, "Do you miss her?"

As a point of comparison, consider how calm and reassuring he is in response to her question, "And you're... comfortable with the fact that I'm trans?"

If Marten were able to respond to the first question with the same level of calmness and reassurance as he did the second, then I would say that he's good at dealing with insecurity.

Edit: I've just read your edit, and I see that you're now contemplating the same panel I am referring to. Some good thoughts there.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DannyboyTheDane

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #154 on: 22 Jun 2017, 05:39 »

Ah, yes, I see your point. I also think I now see the difference in interpretation of being good at dealing with insecurity: Marten has always been good at reassuring people of his love for them, which I saw as him handling their insecurity well - but as you point out, he tends to be surprised whenever it's brought up, revealing a lacking understanding of just how deep and persistent insecurity can be. I hear in my head his reaction to one of Dora's insecurity attacks (paraphrased): "How long will it take until she realises I want to be with her?"

I also feel this is underscored by the comparison example you just provided: Marten is very aware of how sensitive a subject Claire's gender identity is, which is why he's able to handle it so calmly and well.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #155 on: 22 Jun 2017, 06:03 »

I think the last strip and his reaction has more to do with the situation he's in - he is in emotional turmoil: thinking about Padma, maybe some suppressed anger at Renee or Claire (he clearly is sarcastic in the first panel).

With Dora, he really tried - he reassured Dora all the time, and apologised to her for not telling her that someone hit on him, and always took her seriously. He never got jealous when she flirted with Tai, even though they were obviously attracted. The one time where he actually got angry about her jealousy he didn't show his anger, but took a walk to calm down and then reassured her and tried to address the issue as friendly and fair as he could. I'm not sure what else he could have done, because the things she wanted from him are clearly unhealthy; distance himself from his female friends, especially Faye? Let her control his appearance (haircut, beard)? Be even more of a pushover when it comes to his boundaries?

Compare with Corsette and Steve - he got insecure and jealous, and she immediately called him out on his behaviour and then made fun of him.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #156 on: 22 Jun 2017, 06:05 »

Also underscored is one of Marten's basic traits: Does middlin'-to-well at handling other people's various issues, not so much his own. Physician, heal thyself and all that.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #157 on: 22 Jun 2017, 06:07 »

Indeed, that's not just Marten.  8-)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #158 on: 22 Jun 2017, 06:41 »

But he is the most prominent example in the comic now. Several of the other characters that have acknowledged their own issues have at least tried to do something about them. Faye has been in therapy, as have Dora. Hanners keeps pushing her own boundaries in her own way. Even Bubbles has entered into a state of quasi-tabula rasa, accepting her past and moving forward in her life post-skate park.

But Marten is still in more or less the same mindset now as he was at the beginning of the comic. He might have a better job than before, he's had varying degrees of success in his relationships but at the end of the day Marten has his issues and has done nothing to deal with them save for becoming more passive aggressive at times.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #159 on: 22 Jun 2017, 07:02 »

But if Marten dealt with his issues, where would new plots come from?

:-P

Other than it becoming 'The Brun and Clinton' hour, along with 'The Faye/Bubbles show.'

:-D

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #160 on: 22 Jun 2017, 07:47 »

I knew this wouldn't explode as some people did. Jeph set Claire up against the same sort of roadblock that killed Marten and Dora's relationship.
And Claire apparently cleared the hurdle, WITH some nice help from Dora herself to boot!

I know I said one of these days it's nice to see more of the  Secret Bakery people, but it's also really nice to go back to good old Marten for a while. Dude has been mostly absent for so long his art seems to have shifted considerably. Big eyes.

DannyboyTheDane

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #161 on: 22 Jun 2017, 08:57 »

It's also possible Dora told Claire that her insecurity is what led to the end of their relationship, intending it to simply be a piece of helpful relationship advice to the two (maybe to help Claire not worry as she herself had, maybe wanting Marten to be spared a similar experience again), and that Claire then, out of worry, took it to mean she shouldn't show too much of her own insecurity to Marten lest it also ruin their relationship. Dora broke off the relationship because she realised she was the one being unfair and even went (still goes?) to therapy for it, so I just find it hard to believe (not to mention unfair) if she has somehow now come to the conclusion that Marten handled it poorly (except for maybe not quite grasping the severity of it). It's going to be interesting to see if there's anything there or if it was just a turn of phrase on Claire's part to refer to the Dora/Marten situation (I highly suspect this latter possibility to be the correct one).
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2017, 09:07 by DannyboyTheDane »

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #162 on: 22 Jun 2017, 09:20 »

Go on Marten... Dump her!

I think she moved in with Marten too soon.

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #163 on: 22 Jun 2017, 09:23 »

It's hard to know, we really have no idea how long they've been together. It might be over a year, for all we know.

Still soon, sure, but not inconceivable considering their respective positions in life.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #164 on: 22 Jun 2017, 09:31 »

I think that, in their need for artificial drama in the strip, some people are just letting their anger control them.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #165 on: 22 Jun 2017, 09:44 »

I think that, in their need for artificial drama in the strip, some people are just letting their anger control them.

I don't get it, honestly. There has been plenty of drama, just not Marten-drama.
We had almost a decade and a half of Marten-drama. It's good to give the poor guy an extended break. Hell, if Marten remained relatively stable from now on I wouldn't complain. Let Clinton take over his plot-role.

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #166 on: 22 Jun 2017, 10:19 »

Soon is very much a relative thing. I moved in with my partner after about seven months of dating (only a month of which was spent in the same country, and hence not long distance), and we've now been together going on 8 years. Currently in different countries, incidentally.

Exactly. They've been dating for at least a few months, love each other and are already used to being close for long periods of time due to previously working together. And she was spending most of her time at his house anyway, as the previously lived with her mom. Why not, really?

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #167 on: 22 Jun 2017, 10:25 »

- Lets also remember that Renee is still the same Renee that used to date Angus and when he broke up with her, his friends threw a party. (Even with the head transplant)

Head transplant?  Could you point to a strip?

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #168 on: 22 Jun 2017, 10:28 »

MAAAAAAAR-TEN!

But with that spelling I can't refer to his latest ship as "Claritin."

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #169 on: 22 Jun 2017, 10:32 »

The general narrative tends to be "The man is always wrong".

With Marten breaking up with Dora being the grand exception.  That seems to have been played as, and accepted by most fans as, Marten growing a spine.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #170 on: 22 Jun 2017, 10:41 »

MAAAAAAAR-TEN!

But with that spelling I can't refer to his latest ship as "Claritin."
How about Claireten?  :claireface: :claireface: :claireface: :claireface: :claireface: :claireface: :claireface: :claireface: :claireface: :claireface:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #171 on: 22 Jun 2017, 10:46 »

Not enough pun.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #172 on: 22 Jun 2017, 10:51 »

If you would otherwise date someone but won't because they're trans, you're a transphobe.

For some people, old fashioned biological reproduction is a very big deal.  They won't marry someone they can't make babies with.  And no, not all of them are right wing Christians; some are pagan with an overemphasis on the fertility aspects.

None of that applies to Marten, of course.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #173 on: 22 Jun 2017, 10:55 »

- Lets also remember that Renee is still the same Renee that used to date Angus and when he broke up with her, his friends threw a party. (Even with the head transplant)

Head transplant?  Could you point to a strip?
Check shirt and glasses, third and fourth panels.

But it's also known as the Other Darrin trope.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #174 on: 22 Jun 2017, 11:07 »

I think the last strip and his reaction has more to do with the situation he's in - he is in emotional turmoil: thinking about Padma, maybe some suppressed anger at Renee or Claire (he clearly is sarcastic in the first panel).

I doubt that Marten has given Padma any thought for a long time.  Claire has managed to make an issue out of a non-issue.

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #175 on: 22 Jun 2017, 11:32 »

Renee's original appearance was for the one-off joke that the Secret Bakery was the "anti-Coffee of Doom".

As you can see in 1845, there's some random guy we've never seen again talking to Elliot, which is most likely supposed to be anti-Marten; and then we have Renee, which looks exactly like Faye except for skin color, and finally Padma, who was the "anti-Dora" and this might have lead into her thing with Marten.

I don't think Jeph even intended to make her a recurring member of the cast at that point. Hell, I wonder if she was even supposed to be Angus' ex at that point.

When she finally resurfaced, it makes sense to give her a little more personality, appearance-wise.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #176 on: 22 Jun 2017, 11:40 »

I don't think Jeph even intended to make her a recurring member of the cast at that point. Hell, I wonder if she was even supposed to be Angus' ex at that point.

When she finally resurfaced, it makes sense to give her a little more personality, appearance-wise.

Thus the resulting redesign and the head-transplant joke.

Buggman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #177 on: 22 Jun 2017, 12:17 »

Bolded part irks me. You don't get cookies for treating a trans woman the same way you would a cis woman. Marten is not being some special ultra-tolerant angel by dating Claire. He's just NOT being a bigoted jerk. If you would otherwise date someone but won't because they're trans, you're a transphobe.

Yeah . . . no. There are plenty of people who have trans friends (myself included) but who have no interest in being romantically or sexually involved with one. Even those who identify as "progressive" rarely want to take that step. There's just no attraction there. That's no more "phobic" than a gay man saying he wouldn't date a woman is "hetero-phobic."

Seriously, you're passing judgment on people based on their sexual attractions, or lack thereof, now?

But of course, in the midst of trying to take offense you've missed my larger point: Marten has never passed judgment on Claire. (Other than on her propensity to pun, but speaking as a punster we expect the groans and looks.) What right does Claire have to pass judgment on Marten on the basis of one line from a complete stranger? For that matter, what right does she have to pass judgment on him for any of his past relationships?
"Your failure to be informed does not make me a kook."

Buggman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #178 on: 22 Jun 2017, 12:25 »

But Marten is still in more or less the same mindset now as he was at the beginning of the comic. He might have a better job than before, he's had varying degrees of success in his relationships but at the end of the day Marten has his issues and has done nothing to deal with them save for becoming more passive aggressive at times.

I'm not sure that's fair. He sort of "fell into" his other relationships, and before that, he was basically just loitering around Faye's friend-zone in the hopes that something would spontaneously develop. Claire is the first person that he's actively pursued--which is why his "zen" was completely thrown off by her "R e A l L y ?" moment. That, and he's still ashamed about how he handled the situation with Padma. (More than he should be, IMHO. As I said before, there was flakiness on both sides and the core problem was a timing issue that neither of them could help.)

It's too bad Marten is so passive. His general laid-back and non-judgmental attitude would make him a great primary school teacher, counselor or even psychologist, if he could motivate himself enough to go back to school for it.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #179 on: 22 Jun 2017, 12:52 »

I think the issue is different. If I'm not attracted to someone and they happen to be trans, it's not an issue. If I'm attracted to someone and then they turn out to be trans, and that impacts my view of the person's being a viable love/sexual/romantic interest, that DOES speak of a level of bigotry. And flat-out not being attracted to trans people (or rather, claiming so) seems kinda similar to the latter, not to the former.

This would be my personal view as well. Sexual attraction and standards of beauty do not develop in a vacuum and is able to be as influenced by the negatives of society as any opinion. No one is saying you have to be involved with anyone you don't want to but it's usually worth exploring your beliefs to be sure they are or aren't influenced by and/or perpetuating bigotry to the best of one's ability.

Moderator Comment Besides, saying you won't date a certain type of people is generally not a helpful or kind thing to say and only serves to hurt and alienate. That's not behaviour we endorse here. This is an open and welcoming space. I'm going to recommend the Trans and Intersex news/discussion thread for further reading and dialogue.

Buggman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #180 on: 22 Jun 2017, 13:26 »

Please take a step back and consider what you are saying. Your comment implicitly categorises trans women into a distinct category from women as a whole.

With all respect, they ARE. That's not to say that trans people shouldn't be treated with love and respect, but there is a world of difference between being born female and receiving surgical and hormonal treatments to adopt an outwardly female body. If someone is in a relationship with a trans-person and is cool with that (and I known at least one person who was), great! But if, say, a guy is romantically and sexually involved with a girl and finds out she was born with boy-parts after the fact, the vast majority will feel that they have been deceived. You can try to call it "phobic" and "bigoted" all day long, but that doesn't change anyone's personal feelings.

For what it's worth, I sympathize with the trans-person as well. Both partners in that case are in an emotionally difficult situation, and calling the cis partner "transphobic" is simply being unreasonable and bigoted on the other side. My trans friends, while they are personally hurt by that kind of rejection, are also more understanding of it than you've proven to be.

But I see that once again, you've ignored my main point.

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #181 on: 22 Jun 2017, 13:46 »

Please take a step back and consider what you are saying. Your comment implicitly categorises trans women into a distinct category from women as a whole.
But if, say, a guy is romantically and sexually involved with a girl and finds out she was born with boy-parts after the fact, the vast majority will feel that they have been deceived. You can try to call it "phobic" and "bigoted" all day long, but that doesn't change anyone's personal feelings.

The fact that something is someone's "personal feelings" does not automatically make the attitude that led to those feelings valid. The fact that someone "feels deceived" does not mean they've BEEN deceived, and in fact, it's an attitude that's strongly influenced by both real-life bigotry and, to an extent, the prevalent portrayal of transwomen in culture (see this for a - short - analysis of this in fiction, specifically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q78qaT8JZ_A ).

The fact that someone feels a certain way does not automatically mean there is no bigotry behind it. There used to be a LOT of people in, say, the United States, who were disgusted by seeing a black person in an establishment frequented by white people. They were certainly conditioned to feel that way by the culture they came from, but it doesn't mean their attitude and behaviour was not bigoted, by sole virtue of this being about their personal, subjective feelings.

One cannot control one's emotions, but that doesn't mean the REASONS for those emotions can't be recognised, analysed and dissected. If someone feels deceived by the fact that they hadn't known a person was trans, they can't exactly STOP feeling that way, but they are still capable of realising those feelings are an echo of a cultural, bigoted bias they internalised, and come to terms with that.

I lately quote a lot of personal examples on this forum, sorry about that, but I'm trying to bring my explanations to a level I can explain. My wife is a very compassionate person, I would not describe her as a bigot. But due to her upbringing and the fact that she and I live in a country that's about as white as Siberia in the middle of winter, she feels intensely uncomfortable around men of African descent with very dark skin.

Now, my wife does not act on these feelings. As I said, she's a compassionate person. She's a good person. She knows the way she feels is kinda screwed up, but it's not like she can change the way she feels. BUT, she acknowledges that those feelings do come from a kinda racist place. She corrects for that.

Now, if she ignored the issue just because her fear is her feelings? Or if she felt that it's normal for her to be afraid, or let it influence her actions, or her opinions about black people, or anything like that? That'd be a horrible thing.

I *get* it if a person feels uncomfortable around trans people. I honestly do. For the longest time, culture and society told everyone they SHOULD not be ok with anyone who is not cisgendered. But acting like it's not something that comes from a pretty bigoted mental place (even unintentionally) is just wrong. "It's feelings, therefore it's valid" is not a defense. Feelings should not be ignored or suppressed, they should be acknowledged and examined. But feelings and emotions alone do not automatically justify attitudes, words and actions. If feelings were a "get out of jail free card", it'd be OK to stab someone every time we feel really angry. Which, well, it is not.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2017, 13:52 by oddtail »

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #182 on: 22 Jun 2017, 13:51 »

With all respect, they ARE. That's not to say that trans people shouldn't be treated with love and respect, but there is a world of difference between being born female and receiving surgical and hormonal treatments to adopt an outwardly female body. If someone is in a relationship with a trans-person and is cool with that (and I known at least one person who was), great! But if, say, a guy is romantically and sexually involved with a girl and finds out she was born with boy-parts after the fact, the vast majority will feel that they have been deceived. You can try to call it "phobic" and "bigoted" all day long, but that doesn't change anyone's personal feelings.

Oh, I feel I can do better than trying, friend ...

EDIT: Nobody said that heterosexuals have to make out with their gay friends to prove they're not homophobic - but I've only ever met one kind of twat who vented their "personal feelings" in that regard publicly.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2017, 14:05 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #183 on: 22 Jun 2017, 14:28 »

For what it's worth, I sympathize with the trans-person as well. Both partners in that case are in an emotionally difficult situation, and calling the cis partner "transphobic" is simply being unreasonable and bigoted on the other side. My trans friends, while they are personally hurt by that kind of rejection, are also more understanding of it than you've proven to be.

But I see that once again, you've ignored my main point.

Moderator Comment This type of language is not acceptable. "Parts" are not gendered. Trans women are women. Trans men are men. End of. No more discussion. Asking that to be respected is not another form of bigotry. It's requesting basic decency.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #184 on: 22 Jun 2017, 14:51 »

Renee's original appearance was for the one-off joke that the Secret Bakery was the "anti-Coffee of Doom".

As you can see in 1845, there's some random guy we've never seen again talking to Elliot, which is most likely supposed to be anti-Marten; and then we have Renee, which looks exactly like Faye except for skin color, and finally Padma, who was the "anti-Dora" and this might have lead into her thing with Marten.

The one-off guy was likely Jim, the owner. Same art change between him and current as with Renee.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #185 on: 22 Jun 2017, 15:02 »

>in the midst of trying to take offense

Global Moderator Comment In general, and this advice is for everybody, I recommend against making it a first guess that someone is just looking for something to complain about. Always listen first. Then listen again more carefully. It's not guaranteed but there's a great chance the person is telling you something you didn't already know.

(regular user)
If you want to praise Marten for his relationship with Claire and how he's dealt with her medical history, there's plenty of good material. The way he listened when she first confided in him and his being a gentleman after the awkward snuggle are both good things, for example. He has in fact been good to her and good for her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #186 on: 22 Jun 2017, 15:11 »

there is a world of difference between being born female and receiving surgical and hormonal treatments to adopt an outwardly female body.

Global Moderator Comment The forum rules about this came to be after the moderators did substantial reading and research. As far as I'm concerned a trans woman is "born female". Anyone who feels the need to dispute that needs to show evidence of a specialized postgraduate education in neuroanatomy and has to know more than ZoeB does about biology. No such person has ever visited here.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #187 on: 22 Jun 2017, 16:18 »

But he is the most prominent example in the comic now.

You're right, but honestly, I was comparing him to myself, not to other characters in the comic.  :-D

I think it's generally easier for most of us to deal with issues where we have more emotional distance and perspective, no? Even medical doctors are better off when they don't try to self-diagnose.

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #188 on: 22 Jun 2017, 16:34 »

As I don't really have anything further to add to the trans discussion, here's a picture of a baked potato disguising itself as a guinea pig.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #189 on: 22 Jun 2017, 17:01 »

But he is the most prominent example in the comic now.

You're right, but honestly, I was comparing him to myself, not to other characters in the comic.  :-D

I think it's generally easier for most of us to deal with issues where we have more emotional distance and perspective, no? Even medical doctors are better off when they don't try to self-diagnose.

I gathered that, but I just decided to go with Marten alone, because honestly I haven't seen your life in comic-form  :-P

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #190 on: 22 Jun 2017, 17:13 »

I wouldn't. The artwork is dreadful.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #191 on: 22 Jun 2017, 17:16 »

I wouldn't. The artwork is dreadful.

Mine drives people insane with it's Lovecraftian surrealism.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #192 on: 22 Jun 2017, 18:56 »

Well, that's one line of  employment Claire can scratch off her List  :D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #193 on: 22 Jun 2017, 20:15 »

New comic is up.

Backpeddle faster, Clinton!
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #194 on: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17 »

I think Brun is pretty, yes.  But she also gives some good advice, from what we've seen in the comic.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #195 on: 22 Jun 2017, 20:24 »

I forget, besides the fact that it'd be too big a coincidence, do we have any actual proof that Secret Bakery Renee is Angus's ex Renee?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #196 on: 22 Jun 2017, 20:26 »

I forget, besides the fact that it'd be too big a coincidence, do we have any actual proof that Secret Bakery Renee is Angus's ex Renee?

I think it was mentioned the first time Faye met Padma.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #197 on: 22 Jun 2017, 20:27 »

C'mon, as if there are two people called Renee in Northampton/Massachussetts.  :roll:
There's only one now, because the other one just walked away :claireface:

I think it was mentioned the first time Faye met Padma.
Can anyone with magical archive powers find this? I'd appreciate it :parrot:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #198 on: 22 Jun 2017, 20:32 »

If memory serves, someone posted/linked a tweet of Jeph's WoG-ing her to be the same Renee.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #199 on: 22 Jun 2017, 20:47 »

Cheers!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up