THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Relationships You Wanna See More Of  (Read 27460 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Relationships You Wanna See More Of
« Reply #100 on: 27 Jan 2018, 02:06 »

I'm *not* one of those people who would look at a missing appendage on the inside and say "ooh, cool".

When they were putting a stent in after my heart attack, I was conscious and watching the X-ray as they guided the catheter into place.  They even asked me to move to make it easier.  I suppose it was rather cool, in its way, though I'd rather not have had the heart attack at all.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #101 on: 27 Jan 2018, 08:06 »

Not going to go into details about my first colonoscopy except to say that I was conscious, but sedated enough that watching it on the monitor didn’t freak me out.

I declined to watch my wife’s C-section because I knew I wouldn’t be able to handle it. I was there with her, but above the curtain rather than below it.

So, veering back in the general direction of the topic: I still want to see Roko interact with Spookybot. Ms. Law-and-Order teams up with I-am-above-the-law? Plenty of interesting possibilities there.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Vaygr

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #102 on: 27 Jan 2018, 08:55 »

I always wanted Marten and Hanners to be a thing, but that's not likely, hah.

All the trans, gay, etc relationships are getting silly to me, though. Now Bubbles and Faye are gonna be a thing? Real. But I guess that's because they do nothing for me. I lose out on lots of cute, romantic stuff due to being indifferent about that kind of stuff. I suck.

So what are you saying? Not to put words into your mouth, but is it that the proposed relationships upcoming in the comic are, or seem to be, all forced to be non-standard, that it makes you less interested?

I think it makes it quite realistic; that they all are. Maybe that's what QC is about. Doesn't seem like it always was. I am fairly unenlightened AFAIK; over here about 1/1000 relationships are non-heterosexual.

Seems like in US its more like 50/50 or more?

Oh, uh. It just seems very forced. That basically everyone in their surrounding is non-hetero. It's just silly to me, especially since they're not particularly seeking out such individuals.  Trans, gay, etc make up a reaaaaaaaaaally tiny number of humanity, and to have them all orbit together like this without searching for just that kind of people is seems weird.

but after all, it's a web-series, not the real world. I wish non-hetero romance did something for me, but alas my brain is stupid and boring.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #103 on: 27 Jan 2018, 09:29 »

So what are you saying? Not to put words into your mouth, but is it that the proposed relationships upcoming in the comic are, or seem to be, all forced to be non-standard, that it makes you less interested?

Oh, uh. It just seems very forced ... I wish non-hetero romance did something for me, but alas my brain is stupid and boring.

Well, that seems like a 'yes'? There's no accounting for taste, as they say, but that's not the way it works for me - Romance is romance, it's not like just because gay lovers are gay that my brain says "Oh! Gay stuff - not for us, Case" . Love is human emotion - I am a human, so it's also for me.

Oh, uh. It just seems very forced. That basically everyone in their surrounding is non-hetero. It's just silly to me, especially since they're not particularly seeking out such individuals.  Trans, gay, etc make up a reaaaaaaaaaally tiny number of humanity, and to have them all orbit together like this without searching for just that kind of people is seems weird.

There were two posts by pwhodges responding to that post of yours, specifically regarding the size of the fraction of humanity that is non-hetero, and comparing that with QCverse - did you bother reading them? Or the linked article?

In QCverse:
All the trans, gay, etc relationships are getting silly to me, though.

In fourteen years of the comic, we have one gay relationship in the main cast (Dora/Tai), plus two in peripheral characters (Marten's dad, Faye's sister); and of those, we see little of Dora and Tai at present.  Plus one (just one) trans character/relationship.  Not a lot to write home about [...] So, a focus on certain types of people specifically, but not a silly amount; or if you're saying the relationships themselves are silly, you can expect people around here to try to educate you a bit.

And in the real world (From the article linked in pwhodges post):

93.5% of people said they were 'heterosexual' or 'straight', just 1.1% said they were 'gay' or 'lesbian' and 0.4% said they were bisexual. The small fraction that was left either refused to answer or said they didn't know. Altogether, amounts to about 545,000 homosexual and 220,000 bisexual adults in the UK.

6.5% of people report being non-hetero - that's 1 in 15. At least one in every class in school you attended, one in every bar you've been in ... that's not tiny. It's certainly several times the size of the fraction of people making a living from music, e.g. (or physics, or the Oil Industry ... take any job). I don't see a basis for a claim that Jeph is 'forcing' anything based on the numbers we have.

P.S.: Are you maybe confusing gender and sexual orientation? People can be cisgendered or transgendered (counting the nonbinary as trans for the moment, hope that's OK with everyone), and both cis- and transgendered people can also furthermore be straight, gay, bi or ACE (sexual orientation). Like all of us can be right-, or left-handed and also have blue, or green, or brown eyes - it's not "right-handed, blue-eyed people plus all the rest", not even in countries where the "right-handed and blue-eyed" folk are a plurality, or even majority . Gender is a part of your identity, sexual orientation is who you are attracted to (well, that's also part of your identity in a way, but ... know what I'm sayin'?). So Marten and Claire are both straight - Claire is not "a gay and trans man", she is a straight transwoman. There are also gay transwomen - people assigned male at birth, who are sexually attracted to women, and nonetheless their gender identity is female and they want to live as women.

P.P.S.: Steven and Tortura otoh don't trigger your suspension of disbelief? Two secret-agent characters in one extended social circle of 30+ people? I guess the CIA or MI5 wish they had that kind of staff numbers ...  :lol:
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2018, 12:27 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
Relationships You Wanna See More Of
« Reply #104 on: 27 Jan 2018, 09:32 »

Have you ever been to Northampton? I live there. We are the lesbian capital of North America. And we have no shortage of other kinds of LGBT folks either. I don’t find the representation in QC to be strange at all.

Edit: this was directed at Vaygr, in case that wasn’t clear.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2018, 09:49 by Zebediah »

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #105 on: 27 Jan 2018, 11:14 »

Trans, gay, etc make up a reaaaaaaaaaally tiny number of humanity, and to have them all orbit together like this without searching for just that kind of people is seems weird.

Have you ever been to Northampton? I live there. We are the lesbian capital of North America. And we have no shortage of other kinds of LGBT folks either. I don’t find the representation in QC to be strange at all.

Edit: this was directed at Vaygr, in case that wasn’t clear.

One way to look at this is... people tend to like to live in areas that are friendly to people like them. So, you end up getting enclaves like Northampton (or, in central Ohio (where I live), you get the Short North and German Village as Columbus's LGBT enclaves). So, people probably were sorta searching for fellow LGBT people, but this reflects the reality of the area (where Jeph lived when he started the comic, so he has personal experience of the representation of the area), not Jeph searching for LGBT representation.

Vaygr

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #106 on: 02 Feb 2018, 14:44 »

I wasn't trying to start some kind of arguement about this.

But yes, people tend to search for eachother, but it's just not what the characters seemed to be doing in this. I don't know much about Jeph or where he has lived and such. To me, it seems like he is actually trying to force in LGBT representation, which isn't a bad thing at all. I don't mind anyone or anything, but for some reason my mind just don't find non-hetero relationships interesting.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone with what I said, but maybe I worded it badly.

Jeemy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #107 on: 02 Feb 2018, 17:59 »

Put it another way, not to cause an argument, purely as a point of discussion:

'Has there ever been a "standard" relationship in QC apart from Faye and Angus?'

This would ignore Marten and Dora which fizzled, and Sven of course. More accurately, a relationship that was "standard" or "cis" that was a main story-strand?

Its kinda the point of the comic, no? That people with varying ideas/guidelines/backgrounds hook up and bounce off each other?

To vaygr: I don't give a hoot if the relationships in the comic are gay, straight, or non-existant. I don't read for those. I read for the story, and to kill some time; vicarious love stories ain't much for me.

To Case: you say 6.5% of non-heterosexual people is 1/15, and thats true. And thats a LOT of people you know!

Other studies show:

<3.3% NZ
<6% Norway
<4% Spain

In the UK:

2015 / 88.7% exclusively heterosexual! (leaving 12.3% ;)
2017 / 7% homosexual PLUS 5% bisexual
2017 / 81% exclusively heterosexual (leaving 19% no joke 1/5)

Actual figure is maybe even higher than you say.

I know at least 100 people and not a single gay person. Well, I know two gay guys, through two different social circles, who I only knew through friends 20 years ago!

So yeah I would say the proportions in the comic are too high. In RL, too low, compared to these surveys.

Jeemy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #108 on: 02 Feb 2018, 18:28 »

I'd just simply suggest; keep internet world-wide discussion separate from real-world experience. Use your judgement to handle the transition(?)

The forum is part of the Internet; you have real-life experience (and so does every other member of the forum, but it's different from yours).  I would respectfully suggest that the forum cannot separate itself from the individual experiences of every one of its members - it's the job of the individual to use their judgement and show respect when interacting with the forum.
This.

Indeed, the US is in no way homogeneous even on very small scales. My home county in the state of Washington is also bigger than Delaware -- and it is quite culturally diverse from west to east: west is urban and suburban Seattle; east is very rural. West is quite liberal; east quite conservative.

Even locally, we're pretty diverse: there are >20 language spoken by students in the nearby high school, all of whom live within ~2 mi of here.

Don't really get your points. I am trying to say to you that I *do try* to understand this stuff, but I categorically don't know anybody outwith my whatever-it-is. I live in a real-life cul-de-sac. Maybe I am in the minority! But I read QC because its an eye-opener to a very different culture and way of life. Which I guess you guys just take for granted....

The statistics themselves are very interesting. In another thread somebody mentioned 6.5% non-heterosexual relationships, I looked up some studies and it was more like 19%.

I *still* won't meet these people in real life. Not in Scotland, not in my little village, not through my family groupings, not to the order of 1.5, 6.5, or 19.5 per cent. Just won't happen. Not cause I don't want it to, more cause my life is centred around my kids. I am vaguely aware (and bemused) that my 5-year-old has a trans friend but its not my business to ask or enquire, and I don't know which friend it is - it makes no difference to me as long as the little people are happy and fed.

Again, if I am not showing respect, please educate me as to how. I am trying to discuss and understand these issues, based on what I assume is fairly light debate around an entertainment topic, but I don't think either my comment or pwhodges comment above re separation, on a re-read, make much sense; I guess I was saying its different in RL percentage-wise to what it is when we all come together on a forum from all parts of the globe, but I am not sure if pwh was saying I am not showing respect, or showing disrespect?

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #109 on: 03 Feb 2018, 11:20 »

Who was the inked up waitress/bartender who shook Clinton down?  She should fall hopelessly and madly in love with Jimbo.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #110 on: 03 Feb 2018, 12:56 »

We never got a name for her. The forum took to calling her Pictoria.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #111 on: 03 Feb 2018, 13:40 »

One of Evie's mentors, an as-yet unintroduced human woman who is known by her own name in her professional life, will turn out to be Mrs. Bartholomew Punchbot in her private life.  She will be sworn to secrecy but Punchy Bart will worry about her spilling the beans (or bolts as the case may be).

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #112 on: 04 Feb 2018, 08:00 »

Bolts? I was thinking more nuts but washer you gonna do?
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #113 on: 04 Feb 2018, 11:22 »

You know those puns are going to make the bots on the forum angry, pushing their buttons like that.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #114 on: 05 Feb 2018, 05:25 »

Screw 'em!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Aenno

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #115 on: 07 Feb 2018, 15:36 »

I'd just simply suggest; keep internet world-wide discussion separate from real-world experience. Use your judgement to handle the transition(?)

The forum is part of the Internet; you have real-life experience (and so does every other member of the forum, but it's different from yours).  I would respectfully suggest that the forum cannot separate itself from the individual experiences of every one of its members - it's the job of the individual to use their judgement and show respect when interacting with the forum.
This.

Indeed, the US is in no way homogeneous even on very small scales. My home county in the state of Washington is also bigger than Delaware -- and it is quite culturally diverse from west to east: west is urban and suburban Seattle; east is very rural. West is quite liberal; east quite conservative.

Even locally, we're pretty diverse: there are >20 language spoken by students in the nearby high school, all of whom live within ~2 mi of here.

Don't really get your points. I am trying to say to you that I *do try* to understand this stuff, but I categorically don't know anybody outwith my whatever-it-is. I live in a real-life cul-de-sac. Maybe I am in the minority! But I read QC because its an eye-opener to a very different culture and way of life. Which I guess you guys just take for granted....

The statistics themselves are very interesting. In another thread somebody mentioned 6.5% non-heterosexual relationships, I looked up some studies and it was more like 19%.

I *still* won't meet these people in real life. Not in Scotland, not in my little village, not through my family groupings, not to the order of 1.5, 6.5, or 19.5 per cent. Just won't happen. Not cause I don't want it to, more cause my life is centred around my kids. I am vaguely aware (and bemused) that my 5-year-old has a trans friend but its not my business to ask or enquire, and I don't know which friend it is - it makes no difference to me as long as the little people are happy and fed.

Again, if I am not showing respect, please educate me as to how. I am trying to discuss and understand these issues, based on what I assume is fairly light debate around an entertainment topic, but I don't think either my comment or pwhodges comment above re separation, on a re-read, make much sense; I guess I was saying its different in RL percentage-wise to what it is when we all come together on a forum from all parts of the globe, but I am not sure if pwh was saying I am not showing respect, or showing disrespect?

Sorry if I'm start to bother, but let me tell you a story.

(click to show/hide)

I told all of this because it teaches one simple things - if you don't know you met this kind of people in your life, it doesn't means you don't met them. It can still simply means that this people are not so comfortable to declare it beyond quite locked social circle. And in QC we look at exactly this kind of circle.
Disclamer: English isn't my native language, and I'm doing a lot of mistakes - not by meaning but by grammar or orphography - that, with thoroughful rereading, I often found and want to edit, but not always.
If you're offended by my using of your language, fell free to right my wrongs.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #116 on: 21 Feb 2018, 04:03 »

I know at least 100 people and not a single gay person. Well, I know two gay guys, through two different social circles, who I only knew through friends 20 years ago!

So yeah I would say the proportions in the comic are too high. In RL, too low, compared to these surveys.

So based entirely on your completely anecdotal evidence you think there's too much in the comic?

If that's the evidence base we're using, even when you freely admit that the figures contradict your own personal experience, let's tell you about my immediate friendship group.

Me: pansexual
Partner #1: pansexual and genderqueer
Partner #2: pansexual and agender
Their best friend: cis bisexual
My best friend: cis bisexual
My other best friend: cis bisexual
Other friends of theirs: A cis-het male who has experimented with homosexuality, a gay cis guy, a bisexual cis female...
Our mutual friend and co-worker: cis-het but doesn't rule out any gender permanently, in a poly marital relationship also

Something you'd notice if you spoke to more queer people on a regular basis is that they can tend to cluster in groups, because the life experience is often so different that cis-het people simply don't understand that day-to-day existence enough to even be able to make small talk with.

But at the very least, my anecdotal evidence cancels yours out really.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #117 on: 22 Feb 2018, 11:41 »

Also, Marigold and Dale are cis-het.

And we asked for more of them and we got more of them and now the comic forums are mad about what we got of them lol.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #118 on: 23 Feb 2018, 02:14 »

Also, Marigold and Dale are cis-het.

And we asked for more of them and we got more of them and now the comic forums are mad about what we got of them lol.

I'm not mad about it...

Just think that if this is resolved with them both going, "No *I* was stupid!" - "No *I* was stupid!"...
It'll be a bit too twee...
Covenant

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #119 on: 24 Feb 2018, 10:37 »

But not unrealistic. I speak from experience.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #120 on: 26 Feb 2018, 02:45 »

But not unrealistic. I speak from experience.

Oh, for sure...
I'm just thinking that for 'people of their age' it's less likely to happen IRL... at least, so 'easily'.
Covenant
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up