THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, what will they get Tilly to do? (Choose Three!)

Help out Penny with the rota for Coffee of Doom as well as help Dora plan expansion/growth
- 9 (9%)
Field 'phone calls and make appointments at Union Robotics (including appointments for Sam's 'sprays')
- 10 (10%)
Act as the 'token fleshie' at Punchbot & Associates (Punchbot needing a stand-in right arm)
- 7 (7%)
Help Hannelore set up and her charity for disadvantaged synthetics
- 15 (15%)
Organise all the things that she THINKS Hannelore wants in her life (dates, job interviews, etc)
- 20 (20%)
Get a job at Smif's library (as Claire and Emily have gone back to their respective classes)
- 1 (1%)
Sulk at her failure and be corrupted to the Dark Side by Spookybot
- 7 (7%)
Help Winslow and Arthur out at the self-help groups
- 4 (4%)
Help Marten organise HIS life (keeping up the blog, band practice, publicity and the like)
- 13 (13%)
Help Jim organise his back office and make sure Brun isn't sneaking too many day-old pastries
- 1 (1%)
Help Sven keep his chaotic life in more order (Hannelore's plea for a friend)
- 9 (9%)
Other (Please specify in your comment)
- 4 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 3611 to 3615 (13th to 17th November 2017)  (Read 41570 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT 3611 to 3615 (13th to 17th November 2017)
« Reply #150 on: 16 Nov 2017, 14:06 »

I'm pretty sure that Hannelore calling her 'Taffy' is supposed to be some kind of running joke in the same vein as Mr Burns seemingly neurological inability to remember Homer Simpson's name.

Yes, I think so too.

I suspect that certain forumites' deliberate misspelling of her name is more malicious, though.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #151 on: 16 Nov 2017, 15:42 »

Certain Forumite here!
In my first post, I misnamed Tilly as 'Tillie' -- an honest mistake. Since then, i have conflated 'Tillie' and 'Taffy' into "Taffie", going along with the gag.
My apologies to any I may have offended.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #152 on: 16 Nov 2017, 17:41 »

I'm sure Toffee won't mind.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #153 on: 16 Nov 2017, 18:29 »

Another certain forumite checking in.

Tizzy reminds me of a telemarketer who won't quit calling or a peddler who won't get his foot out of your door.  They very deliberately take advantage of most people's hesitation to suspend good manners.  It's too damn bad (as opposed to "sorry"), but I feel no pangs of regret for violating social norms when dealing with people who are themselves violating social norms by invading my privacy in the first place.

Matilda's behavior is indefensible.  I can't think of anyone other than a telemarketer or a foot-in-the-door peddler who would think otherwise.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #154 on: 16 Nov 2017, 18:44 »

It's alright, I get it. I'm more amused than anything else. Especially with the leap from Tizzy to Matilda.  :lol:

I'm sure Toffee won't mind.

You reminded me of a Bob Mortimer moment on Would I Lie to You?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #155 on: 16 Nov 2017, 19:12 »

They're good dogs, Tolly.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #156 on: 16 Nov 2017, 19:31 »

Comic's up and I'm utterly disappointed that the title of today's comic isn't "Tilly Has No Chilly"

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #157 on: 16 Nov 2017, 19:32 »

Especially with the leap from Tizzy to Matilda.
"Tilly" is most commonly a diminutive of "Matilda," so that's actually a return to formality.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #158 on: 16 Nov 2017, 19:34 »

Ah! Thanks, I didn't realise that but maybe I should have guessed.

COMIC

It strikes me today that Tilly is acting like an overenthusiastic eager-to-please child.

Squiddlywinx

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #159 on: 16 Nov 2017, 19:50 »

Bleh!

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #160 on: 16 Nov 2017, 20:04 »

An explosion is approaching.   And I don't mean the espresso machine.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #161 on: 16 Nov 2017, 20:11 »

I'm beginning to think Beatrice didn't send Tilly here because Hannelore needs a personal assistant, but rather because she just needed some way to get rid of her....

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #162 on: 16 Nov 2017, 20:21 »

It is exceedingly difficult to imagine any plot twist that could make Taffy sympathetic or humanizing, given that she literally demonstrates that she has no respect for boundaries unless backed by force and is, in fact, a terrible PA whose "careful research" has not included the slightest familiarization with what the person she is "assisting" needs or wants. She pretty much openly admits that her actual job is to force Hannelore to become the way her mother wants.
I'm in such strong agreement with you. Various people on the forum have expressed concern for her wellbeing, if she returns to her employer as a failure. I recognise that this is valid, but in Hannelore's position, I wouldn't it worry me even a little. Maybe if Tilly were just a little bit considerate of Hannelore's wishes, then I'd be concerned for her, but as it stands I am not.

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #163 on: 16 Nov 2017, 20:32 »

I'm beginning to think Beatrice didn't send Tilly here because Hannelore needs a personal assistant, but rather because she just needed some way to get rid of her....

I came here to say that exact same thing.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #164 on: 16 Nov 2017, 20:35 »

*browses all the Tilly consternation still going on while reading new comic*

Is that Marigold with the cut & dyed hair on the far left?!

Edit: had to back up to #3425 to find the most recent Marigold appearance (unless I missed one) and: no, false alarm. Even if the head shape differences are change in art style, I forgot about the distinctive moles above her jaw. Neeevermind.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

TheEvilDog

« Reply #165 on: 16 Nov 2017, 20:39 »

Doubt it. I think Jeph usually peppers in some friends of his as background characters.

DarthSox

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #166 on: 16 Nov 2017, 20:44 »

I should have posted yesterday, but I don't see anyone commenting on the fact that Tilly made Hannelore late. That fact alone should prove that she's worse than useless as a PA, as she's actually making Hannelore worse at her job than without her. Between that and today's "climbing on the counter like a six-year-old", I am really starting to hate this character.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #167 on: 16 Nov 2017, 20:45 »

Is that Marigold with the cut & dyed hair on the far left?!

Edit: had to back up to #3425 to find the most recent Marigold appearance (unless I missed one) and: no, false alarm. Even if the head shape differences are change in art style, I forgot about the distinctive moles above her jaw. Neeevermind.

I was wondering that myself.

I mean... it looks a lot like Marigold except that it doesn't look at all like Marigold. If that makes any sense at all. It's as though it's a Marigold cosplay or something.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #168 on: 16 Nov 2017, 21:03 »

It's not Marigold.  It's Bleminda.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #169 on: 16 Nov 2017, 21:08 »

Definitely looks more like Marigold than Bleminda.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #170 on: 16 Nov 2017, 21:11 »

It's Bleminda.  The two-tone hair and N7 (BioWare) jacket are giveaways.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #171 on: 16 Nov 2017, 21:11 »

I wonder if the joke will be that she finally gets Bleminda's name right. 

And while that's not violating the rule about being behind the counter I don't think Dora will approve. 

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #172 on: 16 Nov 2017, 21:14 »

Comedy is pain. Tilly is 'a'  pain. Ergo, she is comedic gold.

Because I'll be honest, I'll take this as a welcome relief over worrying about the genuine pain that any emotional meltdowns forth coming from either Marten/Claire or Bubbles/Faye may yet herald given the current turn of events.

I'm along for this ride, at least for another week or two.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #173 on: 16 Nov 2017, 22:55 »

Hopefully Teddy isn't a 'real' character, but is like the Vespa Avenger; Someone amusing for a few strips to show character growth and where other characters are at, then disposed of and never seen or heard of/from again.
oh god

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #174 on: 16 Nov 2017, 23:26 »

I think that things are going in the direction that I first speculated towards the start of the arc. Tilly is going to be so annoying and intrusive that Hannelore won't be able to tolerate her for a whole morning, let alone 48 hours. She'll be fired and on her way back to Beatrice with a blistering performance review of the sort that can be summed up as "goodbye career".

IMO it is only then, with her career in ruins and the very real possibility that she's about to have a protracted period of unemployment, will we meet the real Tilly and find out what Jeph wants to do with her. I can see three possibilities:
  • She's actually quite nasty and, when fired, proceeds to be very verbally abusive to Hannelore: "This is what your mom really thinks of you, you defective failure!"
  • Hannelore had been 'last chance saloon' and, facing the total ruin of her dreams, Tilly breaks down and ends up under Winslow's guard to ensure that she doesn't do anything stupid;
  • Tilly doesn't have much pride; we have a wholly skin-crawlingly embarrassing moment when she begs for her job and even offers 'personal services' in exchange for mercy. As well as tugging Hannelore's heart-strings, it makes one wonder just how bad things at ECI might be.
Yeah, there's the possibility that she may just shrug and walk away if fired but, somehow, that would be an anticlimax. I can't see Jeph going that way.

The observer is definitely Bleminda (note the N7 hoodie). Given the amount of weirdness she's encountered at Coffee of Doom, mostly at Emily's hands, she probably doesn't think what's happening right now is particularly different!

P.S.:
I agree with the opinion I saw on the Subreddit that Tilly isn't actually a very good PA. Why isn't she out buying Hannelore's new 'phone? Why isn't she exploring the town and spending time learning new ways to do her "boss's" bidding by identifying locations and persons of interest? Hanging around Hannelore like a love-struck puppy is not good PA behaviour! I'm wondering if she is actually a hopeless loser who no-one wants hanging around ECI's HQ and Beatrice is using Hannelore as garbage disposal. Alternately, maybe she's the daughter of a senior board member who wants her to have a 'responsible' job but lacks the actual ability to do so; Beatrice used the Dilbert Principle - 'Promote' her to a job where she can do no damage other than to herself.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2017, 23:36 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #175 on: 16 Nov 2017, 23:33 »

An explosion is approaching.   And I don't mean the espresso machine.

Well, knowing the reputation of Coffee of Doom, exploding espresso machines could still be involved :-D

Oh Tilly, please think - this is Hannelore's work. She serves coffee. You are going to have to sit down and watch your "employer" perform service industry work for the next eight hours - and at a wage probably inferior to your own...  :-P

If that doesn't get Tilly pondering the ridiculousness of her position, nothing will!
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #176 on: 17 Nov 2017, 00:47 »

right so i'm in a very bad place emotionally these days, but boy do i hate taffy

i mean i'm not saying it's a bad arc but if i'm *supposed* to hate that boundary-violating pushy little jerk, well mission accomplished.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #177 on: 17 Nov 2017, 00:49 »

'ooh look at me the objectively evil corporate murderer mom ordered me to go take over her daughter's life i better do that i'm all cheery and excited i'm taffy woooooooooo'

:/

Edited because smilies ruin everything

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #178 on: 17 Nov 2017, 00:51 »

it is a cute design jeph is right about that.

oddtail

« Reply #179 on: 17 Nov 2017, 01:11 »

OK, so I was all ready to jump on the "hate Tilly" bandwagon, but today's comic actually made me change my mind somewhat.

Why? Because of the way she reacts here.

Tilly is jumping over a counter, which to me reads less as a "she's overeager" and more like "she's so desperate to 'help' that it's becoming unnerving". In a vacuum, it would be a cute little moment, but she's jumping the counter in a *complete one-eighty* to what she was doing a second ago. Yes, she was told by Dora to not be behind the counter, but she obliged, and after like a few seconds, she seems to have completely ignored, disregarded or forgotten it.

To me, it doesn't read as overeager behaviour. To me, it reads like an automatic response of a kind that's more than a little disconcerting. I know I'm probably reading too much into it, but such drastic shifts of behaviour for a minor reason suggest to me that she's been brainwashed, or abused (and not in a comedic way), or otherwise forced to "help" Hannelore to the exclusion of everything else. This is one step beyond "comical" to me, especially considering who her employer is. Tilly was never funny to me, but now her downright Pavlovian responses are more chilling than anything. YMMV.

Incidentally, in a world with super-technology, with sapient AI and basically on the verge of the Singularity (or beyond it, depending on what we don't see), people like Beatrice are still in power. Beatrice is not merely a "bad rich person", she is implied to be able to do whatever she wants. Yeah, do NOT sign me up for a future like this.

EDIT: also, I know Hannelore is a popular character, but as much as I dislike Tilly, the reactions to her seem like a "we know this person, so we'll hate that other person", which is a reaction I (in my opinion) have seen in the forum before. I will be very happy if this new character goes away soon, because she's annoying and not interesting, but I still think getting someone's name constantly wrong just because they were forced upon you is a shitty thing to do. I understand Hanners' reaction, but that doesn't mean I like it. And I don't like how it's apparently played up for comedy's sake. It's still not funny, to me personally.

EDIT 2: also also, wasn't it against the forum's rules (and enforced, IIRC) to misspell a real person's *or* a character's name? I didn't know it included a "I don't like this character, so I can do that" clause.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2017, 01:21 by oddtail »

Moggie

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #180 on: 17 Nov 2017, 01:34 »

Dora has been known to project her desire of murder to the "answers" Mïeville "has given her".

Zog

• Plantmonster
« Reply #181 on: 17 Nov 2017, 01:49 »

Maybe Hanners just needs to give Tilly a sock...?

My first thought after reading this was "Does giving someone a sock have some sort of symbolic signifigance?".

It's from Harry Potter. Giving a house elf (a kind of slave) an article of clothing sets it free.

The stupid thing is that i have seen that movie more times than i can count and still did not get it until I got back tonight and read Pilchard123's response.  I must be slowing down.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #182 on: 17 Nov 2017, 02:31 »

Another certain forumite checking in.

Tizzy reminds me of a telemarketer who won't quit calling or a peddler who won't get his foot out of your door.  They very deliberately take advantage of most people's hesitation to suspend good manners.  It's too damn bad (as opposed to "sorry"), but I feel no pangs of regret for violating social norms when dealing with people who are themselves violating social norms by invading my privacy in the first place.

Matilda's behavior is indefensible.  I can't think of anyone other than a telemarketer or a foot-in-the-door peddler who would think otherwise.
I can. Political pundits, CEOs, and lobbyists.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #183 on: 17 Nov 2017, 03:08 »

What? The cannon isn't working?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #184 on: 17 Nov 2017, 03:29 »

What? The cannon isn't working?

The bean counters are on her case about it; apparently the Employers' Liability premiums are getting too high.
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #185 on: 17 Nov 2017, 03:50 »

I agree with brasca on the "seize her destiny" thing because Beatrice sent Tilly there to groom Hannelore for business. Regarding Tilly not correcting Hannelore if she got mad and called her Taffy, I think that would require Hannelore's personality to be much closer to Beatrice's, which thankfully it isn't.
Beatrice flat out says that Tilly is there because Ellicot-Chathams need assistants.
It's both a point of pride for Beatrice and likely her specific world view on the nature of the general social-contract. Think of the Frieza  Returns arc in TFS DBZ Abridged. When Frieza says he can drive, King Cold states "Son, we don't drive ourselves, driving is for the help." Which King Cold says more sternly when Frieza tries to rebut him on the point.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #186 on: 17 Nov 2017, 03:55 »

By this time she's probably just giving her name as "Bleminda".

And I'm honestly surprised that so many people failed to recognize her. This is, what, her fourth or fifth appearance? She's practically a regular character now. In a few years she'll be promoted to the main cast. By 2030 all of the current main characters will have been retired, and Bleminda and Melon will be the primary characters.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #187 on: 17 Nov 2017, 04:25 »

By 2030 all of the current main characters will have been retired, and Bleminda and Melon will be the primary characters.
Jeph did do one strip of the characters in middle age...  In 2030 (assuming comic time == calendar time)
 - Dora will be the high side of 40, and wondering why she no longer feels as free and easy with the kids working in the shop as she used to.
 - Marten and Claire - not going to go there
 - Marigold and Dale have 3 kids and have disappeared from the strip
 - Bubbles is still running the shop, with Sam as a key employee.

feel free to continue folks...

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #188 on: 17 Nov 2017, 04:37 »

Maybe Hanners just needs to give Tilly a sock...?

My first thought after reading this was "Does giving someone a sock have some sort of symbolic signifigance?".

It's from Harry Potter. Giving a house elf (a kind of slave) an article of clothing sets it free.

The stupid thing is that i have seen that movie more times than i can count and still did not get it until I got back tonight and read Pilchard123's response.  I must be slowing down.

Yeah, given that my comment was all but ignored but someone "quoting" Dobby's line after it has been liked off the planet - I don't think you were alone!

(Or maybe I'm just not well liked!! Sob!!!!)   :wow:
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #189 on: 17 Nov 2017, 04:51 »

By 2030 all of the current main characters will have been retired, and Bleminda and Melon will be the primary characters.
Jeph did do one strip of the characters in middle age...  In 2030 (assuming comic time == calendar time)
 - Dora will be the high side of 40, and wondering why she no longer feels as free and easy with the kids working in the shop as she used to.

I feel so depressed, now...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #190 on: 17 Nov 2017, 05:26 »

I must know. What happens to Marten and Claire?!

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #191 on: 17 Nov 2017, 05:30 »

Stuff.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #192 on: 17 Nov 2017, 05:33 »

EDIT 2: also also, wasn't it against the forum's rules (and enforced, IIRC) to misspell a real person's *or* a character's name? I didn't know it included a "I don't like this character, so I can do that" clause.

That rule always bugged me because I have some cognitive issues and genuinely misspell names sometimes.

I think this is being excused because her misspelled name is a running gag in the comic.

Though, I think it may be because Hanners isn't really listening to Tilly and is not hearing the correction. That's rude I guess but isn't some sort of diabolic plan to bother her.

That said, I really don't think Beatrice would/will do anything bad to Tilly if Hanners doesn't keep. I mean, as a plot point it makes sense but idk.
What I will say is that I hope Dora bans her from her from the shop.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #193 on: 17 Nov 2017, 05:33 »

Claire is now the Deputy Head Librarian of the Library of Congress (Antique Books). Marten is perfectly happy being her house-husband and raising their two adoptive kids (Martine and Clive). He continues to write his blog, which is now re-blogged and syndicated by various large pop-culture review sites and also record with Deathmøle. Both of these semi-jobs generate his own (somewhat inconsistent) income.
~~~~

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #194 on: 17 Nov 2017, 05:35 »

Maybe

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #195 on: 17 Nov 2017, 05:35 »

By this time she's probably just giving her name as "Bleminda".

And I'm honestly surprised that so many people failed to recognize her. This is, what, her fourth or fifth appearance? She's practically a regular character now. In a few years she'll be promoted to the main cast. By 2030 all of the current main characters will have been retired, and Bleminda and Melon will be the primary characters.

I actually thought tha character was Marigold too at first glance but then I realized it was just a regular customer.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #196 on: 17 Nov 2017, 05:38 »

All I know is my country is full of murderous jerks and their pushy 'well-meaning' lackeys and I'm of a low opinion of the lot these days. Like I said, I'm in a horrendous mood in general, so grump grump grr, to put it nice and fluffy for this sub-forum.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #197 on: 17 Nov 2017, 05:48 »

- Faye is incarcerated in VR jail for finally snapping and crushing Pintsize’s AI core. The judge reduced the sentence to one year in virtual Hawaii when she examined fragments of Pintsize’s personality.
- Clinton went for a hike, enough food and water for one day. His hand gets caught under a boulder and Clinton is trapped for five days. Desperate to live, Clinton cut his own hand off with a dull knife. Until he remembered that the hand was detachable.
- Steve is still eating cereal.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #198 on: 17 Nov 2017, 06:12 »

They split up.
Everyone thought it was for the best...
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #199 on: 17 Nov 2017, 06:38 »

Jeph did do one strip of the characters in middle age...

Wait, when was that?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up