THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 10:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Purely from an aesthetic standpoint, who of the following is the cutest?

Pintsize
Hannelore
Winslow (tablet chassis)
Tai
Momo (chibi chassis)
Emily Azuma
Gabby
Claire
Elliot
Momo (current chassis)
Sam Bean
Lydia
May
Melon
Winslow (current chassis)
Tilly
Harriet a.k.a. "Sweet tits"

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 3621 to 3625 (27th November to 1st December 2017)  (Read 40117 times)

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: WCDT 3621 to 3625 (27th November to 1st December 2017)
« Reply #50 on: 28 Nov 2017, 18:43 »

For the posts about Tilly's work damaging entry level employees, definitely possible but I'd be hopeful that Tilly would be able to quickly get access to higher ups with the type of authority to okay those deals. In my experience, depending on the level you are/are dealing with, there is a hard line in what they can actually do, no matter how persistent the customer is being. Although that doesn't mean the higher up won't get into trouble either.

The sort of aggressive negotiation game Tilly plays involves escalating to higher-ups after already manipulating the entry level worker as far as possible, massively spinning what the previous person agreed to as a starting position, and then manipulating the next person as far as *they* can go. Rinse, repeat, and after three or four rounds you walk away with a spectacular deal while low-level workers are left holding the bag.

Or so you hear? :angel:

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #51 on: 28 Nov 2017, 18:51 »

Comic’s up.

Today we learn what Hannelore’s favorite color is.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #52 on: 28 Nov 2017, 19:41 »

The fact that the dossier got something that basic WRONG says depressing things about how well her Mom knows Hanners.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #53 on: 28 Nov 2017, 19:55 »

We already knew that Beatrice didn't know that much about Hanners, that she smoked, drank or had her ears repeated pierced.

But really, its a sign of how out of touch that Beatrice is with her own daughter, given that the dossier is out of date and possesses the wrong information.

But its also a sign of how desperate Tilly is to make a good first impression that she's based her enter strategy around wrong information. Which is kinda depressing...and a little pathetic...

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #54 on: 28 Nov 2017, 20:32 »

...I'm also broadly sure that the baseball bat is only because Hannelore is nervous about bugs. There isn't really large enough spiders that you'd need a weapon like that (unless Jeph has quietly moved the setting to Australia without mentioning it). ...

Are you forgetting the Library Spiders? Marten and/or Claire may have inadvertently carried some eggs into Coffee of Doom.:-P
Just going through life.

Gyrre

« Reply #55 on: 28 Nov 2017, 21:36 »

You cannot negotiate with spiders.
But some spiders can negotiate with mazes. These same spiders think ahead and make plans.

the first link is a .pdf
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #56 on: 28 Nov 2017, 21:38 »

We already knew that Beatrice didn't know that much about Hanners, that she smoked, drank or had her ears repeated pierced.

But really, its a sign of how out of touch that Beatrice is with her own daughter, given that the dossier is out of date and possesses the wrong information.

But its also a sign of how desperate Tilly is to make a good first impression that she's based her enter strategy around wrong information. Which is kinda depressing...and a little pathetic...

Honestly it puts pretty much all of her overly pushy/untrustworthy behavior in a somewhat better light. Not because her behavior is, itself, inherently any better, but because it was based on faulty information that probably was written on the assumption that Hanners is still as bad as/worse than she was when we first met her in QC, a state in which, really, she COULD have probably used an assistant just to help her stabilize her outside-of-the-apartment life.

That Tilly couldn't recognize that data was clearly way off within the first hour or so of meeting Hannelore is a pretty bad sign for her perception, though, so it's a wash overall.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Storel

« Reply #57 on: 28 Nov 2017, 22:34 »

I thought Tilly said in one of her first strips that this dossier was 600 pages long -- or was it 900? If that little thing Hanners is holding is even 150 pages, I'll eat it.

Edit: Ah, my bad. It was Jeph's comment at the bottom of page 3618 that the dossier was 900 pages long. I guess that was just humorous exaggeration on his part. :-P
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2017, 22:40 by Storel »

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #58 on: 28 Nov 2017, 23:19 »

Okay, so now we know for what Jeph is intending to use Tilly: As the Dossier is incorrect, it is Tilly's duty to update it so that the information that the Company has on the Heir is accurate (for a variety of reasons, bureaucratic perfectionism being the most important). So, we're going to be witnessing Hannelore through her eyes - Her life, friends, enemies and preferences. Tilly is going to be learning about the real world outside of HQ through learning who Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham really is.

We will probably never know what horrors that they faced in the basement. Or, rather that Tilly faced. Hannelore, thanks to the power of acclimatisation and adaptation, is pretty blasé about the whole thing. :laugh:
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #59 on: 29 Nov 2017, 01:14 »

I don't have a favorite color. Is that weird?
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #60 on: 29 Nov 2017, 01:16 »

Not really. I'm not sure I have a 'favourite' colour. f I were pressed, I'd say: "Dunno... Green maybe?" I'm pretty sure it was red when I was a kid but these days, I don't know.
~~~~

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #61 on: 29 Nov 2017, 01:18 »

"I'm playing a long game with this story" So hopefully many, many jokes are being stored up.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #62 on: 29 Nov 2017, 02:04 »

So...
Hanners is "Earth"
Tilly is "Ford Prefect"
The Dossier is "The Guide" ??

On a separate issue...
What's with Tilly's HEIGHT fluctuation!?
(I only really first noticed it yesterday, but today it's horrendous!)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

blt

« Reply #63 on: 29 Nov 2017, 03:35 »

I think it's her standing on her toes (or levitating) when she gets excited.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #64 on: 29 Nov 2017, 03:54 »

Hanners is "Earth"
Tilly is "Ford Prefect"
You think Hannelore is going to explode?
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #65 on: 29 Nov 2017, 04:05 »

Not really. I'm not sure I have a 'favourite' colour. f I were pressed, I'd say: "Dunno... Green maybe?" I'm pretty sure it was red when I was a kid but these days, I don't know.

Me too. When I was a kid, the red crayon always diminished faster than the others (maybe because I drew fire and blood a lot - spaceships, dragons, dinosaur fights...) Now, if someone asks me my fave colour, I try to be really specific, going with greenish-blue. This usually suffice to change the subject of the conversation.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #66 on: 29 Nov 2017, 04:42 »

Everyone's favourite colour is green or blue, because we all feel the quiescent siren-song of the glassy sea calling us home.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #67 on: 29 Nov 2017, 05:53 »

Hanners is "Earth"
Tilly is "Ford Prefect"
You think Hannelore is going to explode?

Well, she's been pretty close to it the last handful of strips! :)
Covenant

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #68 on: 29 Nov 2017, 07:17 »

Everyone's favourite colour is green or blue, because we all feel the quiescent siren-song of the glassy sea calling us home.
And that song is playued out by the gentle lapping of waves on the shoreline.
 DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM ...... [from the mind of a person who is terrified of drowning]

Colours here are Green and Gold, as in the colour of the forests in Spring, Summer and Autumn. The Winter's blacks, greys and whites are more melancholy unless there is some coniferous greens mixed in.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #69 on: 29 Nov 2017, 07:49 »

I find favourite colours to be entirely situational. Like, I have a favourite hair colour but I wouldn’t wear clothes that colour, and my favourite colour of clothes would never end up on a wall I was decorating, and so on. The idea of a singular solitary colour that you favour at all times and in all situations seems silly to me.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #70 on: 29 Nov 2017, 07:51 »

And that song is playued out by the gentle lapping of waves on the shoreline.
 DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM ...... [from the mind of a person who is terrified of drowning]

Colours here are Green and Gold, as in the colour of the forests in Spring, Summer and Autumn. The Winter's blacks, greys and whites are more melancholy unless there is some coniferous greens mixed in.

Here is green all year long, the only grays in the clouds. With occasional yellow, purple and red in the trees in Spring.

(I think I digress... What is the subject of this forum again?)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #71 on: 29 Nov 2017, 10:32 »

Well this explains how Tilly could get so much about her boss wrong like that business suit she thought Hannelore wore to work.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #72 on: 29 Nov 2017, 19:56 »

Comic's up and I guess that answers more than a few questions.

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #73 on: 29 Nov 2017, 20:01 »

Well after having left for awhile I thought I'd come back and check to see if theres been any improvement and of course Tilly/Taffy uses they/them pronouns

Milayna

« Reply #74 on: 29 Nov 2017, 20:15 »

I was wondering how long it would be till Hanners got Tilly's name right. The character's annoying, but that was jarringly rude.

Dunno about height differences, in every instance with comparable perspective they seem to be up to Hanners' nose? Seems fine to me.

I don't have a favorite color so much as a favorite combo...pink/black. Just goes so well together.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2017, 20:23 by Milayna »

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #75 on: 29 Nov 2017, 20:21 »

I  cannot wait for the Tilly arc to be over. Maybe now that the name thing is cleared up it will be for a while. Looks like Tilly will be joining the regular cast though, unfortunately.

mikmaxs

« Reply #76 on: 29 Nov 2017, 21:01 »

I find it... Odd that Tilly didn't mention their pronouns until now. This is the fourth person they've introduced themself too, and they didn't have any problem repeatedly insisting that their name was being said wrong, so... It just seems odd that they didn't mention it until now, but bring it up here without any sort of comment or reason for the change in behavior.

(Also: What is Hannelore looking at in the bottom left panel? Tilly's speech bubble?)
Don't mind me.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #77 on: 29 Nov 2017, 21:07 »

There is one other person who goes by the pronoun they.  I theorized before that this could be Spookybot assuming a different form and this could be a clue. 

lemonglamour

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #78 on: 29 Nov 2017, 21:08 »

I find it... Odd that Tilly didn't mention their pronouns until now. This is the fourth person they've introduced themself too, and they didn't have any problem repeatedly insisting that their name was being said wrong, so... It just seems odd that they didn't mention it until now, but bring it up here without any sort of comment or reason for the change in behavior.

(Also: What is Hannelore looking at in the bottom left panel? Tilly's speech bubble?)

speaking as a nonbinary person, it can be easier to correct new people on your name more than your pronouns. pronouns are gendered by nature, but names have more leeway, especially since nb folk tend to pick unisex names. and people who don't know you tend to easily accept being corrected on your name as "oh, I didn't know" whereas asking for different pronouns than they assumed turns it into a whole Thing.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #79 on: 29 Nov 2017, 21:17 »

There is one other person who goes by the pronoun they.  I theorized before that this could be Spookybot assuming a different form and this could be a clue.

I believe that in Spookybot's case, the "They" is plural.  In Tilly's case, I'm pretty sure that they are using the singular form.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #80 on: 29 Nov 2017, 22:18 »

Man...I don't think I've ever been browing the WCDT threads during a new character introduction before.

Do they usually get this hostile? Like, I get it, Tilly's kinda obnoxious, but dang. Daaaang.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #81 on: 29 Nov 2017, 22:34 »

Maybe not quite this hostile. There's airways some hostility.

It's interesting, I think, that Jeph has chosen to withhold Tilly's preferred pronouns until now. Playing the long game, eh?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Timemaster

• Master of Time
« Reply #82 on: 29 Nov 2017, 22:50 »

Hi Shijade & Tova,

I´m a bit disturbed by the hostile reactions too. That´s why I haven´t posted here for some time.

I think Tilly is hilarious and I love her a lot. In fact, in my oppinion she´s the most sympathetic character Jeph introduced for quite some time. I couldn´t relate to Brun or Renee, but Taffy is so much fun for me, I really love her and her unbreakable joyfulness. And I would really like to see her and Claire hitting it off. :laugh:

I sometimes think, some people are taking QC too seriously. I mean, this is comedy. Very good comedy with a sensible approach to gender and diversity, but still comedy. And Tiffy is a kind of classic screwball character. She is hilarious and good for a laugh at the end of every strip, every day. And thats what this comicstrip is all about, isn´t it?
If CQ were a movie, she would be played by a young Goldie Hawn.  :-D

Just a thought:
Timemaster
Relax, it's just a comic.

oddtail

« Reply #83 on: 29 Nov 2017, 23:22 »

Man...I don't think I've ever been browing the WCDT threads during a new character introduction before.

Do they usually get this hostile? Like, I get it, Tilly's kinda obnoxious, but dang. Daaaang.

In my experience/perception, that happens a LOT when new characters are introduced. It still puzzles me and weirds me out, every single time it does happen.

RomulusAug

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #84 on: 29 Nov 2017, 23:23 »

What is dead may never die  :-D

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #85 on: 29 Nov 2017, 23:29 »

Well, I've got the feeling that we've reached the end of the 'Introducing The New Big Thing' arc. Basically, it was a compressed version of the introduction of Claire, reducing it to less than 20 strips rather than the hundreds of strips it took to introduce a certain redhead.

I've got a feeling that we're going to be seeing a lot more of them in the future. They might even end up as a main cast member's significant other/very best friend and a member of the main cast, at least for a while. Jeph thinks they're cute, has made it clear that he likes writing them. I just wish that he wasn't being so clumsy about it!

Now, don't get me wrong. I've said before that QC has more in common with 'continuing' comedies and dramas like soap operas than most other web-comics. Because of this, the 'main cast' is always changing and the focus is slowly drifting across new characters as the writer runs out of material for the old ones (who metamorphose into secondary or even supporting roles). Because of this, the introduction of new characters who will take on major roles is inevitable.

I just want to emphasise something: I don't dislike or hate Tilly. If anything, I'm generally indifferent to them. Jeph has really failed in this arc to make me care about them and be interested in their arc in the way I am about, for example, Faye, Bubbles, Marten, Claire and even May and Momo. To me, they'll always be more a foil than a character in their own right so I guess that I've just got to shrug this one off and hope we move onto something interesting next week.

I'm glad that I was right on the nose about the 'Taffy' thing. Either Beatrice, like Veronica, is one of those people who, if she says something in that voice, other people tend to follow along. Or, and this is more likely, Hannelore was tired and a bit out-of-sorts when she spoke to first Tilly and then her mother and she got what the two of them said mixed up in her head.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2017, 23:45 by BenRG »
~~~~

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #86 on: 29 Nov 2017, 23:58 »

the 'main cast' is always changing and the focus is slowly drifting across new characters as the writer runs out of material for the old ones
Or, of course because that's simply what happens in real life...

anahata

• Never knowingly understood
« Reply #87 on: 30 Nov 2017, 00:35 »

I'm amused by the way so many  posters on this forum were deliberately calling Tilly Taffy while knowing that wasn't their correct name, but have uniformly jumped into line when told to use gender-neutral pronouns.
Is that more important than getting somebody's name right?

Also, as I've not knowingly met any non-binary people in real life, It never occurred to me some of them preferred they/them to he/him or she/her. It's obvious why, but it did make me think for a moment. Well done, Jeph.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
« Reply #88 on: 30 Nov 2017, 00:42 »

speaking as a nonbinary person, it can be easier to correct new people on your name more than your pronouns. pronouns are gendered by nature, but names have more leeway, especially since nb folk tend to pick unisex names. and people who don't know you tend to easily accept being corrected on your name as "oh, I didn't know" whereas asking for different pronouns than they assumed turns it into a whole Thing.
Welcome new poster :) Feel free to introduce you some more in the 'Hi I'm new' forum. :clairedoge:

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #89 on: 30 Nov 2017, 01:06 »

Sorry, I don't get the joke about pronouns. I guess that's the limit of my knowledge of the arcanes of english language...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #90 on: 30 Nov 2017, 01:16 »

Sorry, I don't get the joke about pronouns. I guess that's the limit of my knowledge of the arcanes of english language...

There isn't a joke. Tilly is indirectly signalling that she's non-binary in her identified gender and doesn't consider either male or female pronouns to apply to her in an entirely correct way.
~~~~

Shaitan051

• Not quite a lurker
  • Filthy white cis male.
    • Sargon of Akkad
« Reply #91 on: 30 Nov 2017, 01:19 »

*shudder* pronouns  :roll:
“Some people take offense like it's a limited time offer.”
― Tim Fargo

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
« Reply #92 on: 30 Nov 2017, 01:23 »

It's interesting, I think, that Jeph has chosen to withhold Tilly's preferred pronouns until now. Playing the long game, eh?
And partly also because the only time someone has referred to Tilly using a pronoun was Dora in 3614, and at that point Tilly was preoccupied with not being killed to notice the error.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #93 on: 30 Nov 2017, 01:39 »

There isn't a joke. Tilly is indirectly signalling that she's non-binary in her identified gender and doesn't consider either male or female pronouns to apply to her in an entirely correct way.

Them, not her. They, not she.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #94 on: 30 Nov 2017, 02:29 »

I live in Sweden and I'm glad that we are starting to pick up a neutral pronoun "hen" (in contrast to han = he, and hon = she).***
I guess that's why the term they/them in singular confuses the hell out of me (on a purely linguistical way, mind you) because we already got a non-binary pronoun and leave the they/them for plurals only. :P

*** = Feel free to make any poultry jokes you like, cuz I can't come up with a single one.

Yeah... a singular would be a great addition to the language.
Y'see, I find this They/Them thing VERY difficult to take on, because for 50+ years I've been raised to think that calling someone THEY or THEM was unspeakably rude.

As far as Tilly/Taffy is concerned...
Not overjoyed at the possibility of 'main character-ness', other than it might mean we see a lot more of Hanners.

Taffy might (to Jeph) be 'cute', all I am seeing is 'annoying'.
But then I guess it would be a boring world if we all had the same opinions...

(Would make ordering Pizza MUCH easier though!)
Covenant

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #95 on: 30 Nov 2017, 02:34 »

Don't get me started on pizza and pineapple
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #96 on: 30 Nov 2017, 02:49 »

Don't get me started on pizza and pineapple

CLEARLY an abomination to life and all matters culinary.
Covenant

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #97 on: 30 Nov 2017, 02:53 »

Yeah... a singular would be a great addition to the language.
Y'see, I find this They/Them thing VERY difficult to take on, because for 50+ years I've been raised to think that calling someone THEY or THEM was unspeakably rude.

AFAIK, "they"/"them" as singular gender-neutral animate pronouns is actually the safest one to use when gender is unknown or the subject is non-binary. Note that there are some constructs like "ze"/"zir" - newly-coined singular gender-neutral animate pronouns - that some non-binary people prefer, though, but I don't think I've personally seen a single case where such a person found "they"/"them" to be unacceptable.

It's "it"/"its" that are rude, because those pronouns, while actually singular and gender-neutral, are inanimate.

(Would make ordering Pizza MUCH easier though!)

Remember that Hannelore has the power to summon orbital pizza bombardment at the push of a button.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #98 on: 30 Nov 2017, 03:00 »

And partly also because the only time someone has referred to Tilly using a pronoun was Dora in 3614, and at that point Tilly was preoccupied with not being killed to notice the error.

Also Hanners used "she" earlier but Tilly was on the phone. They were given an opportunity to do a gentle correction when Hanners was introducing them to Marten. It's a common way a lot of nonbinary people introduce their pronoun because, "Hi I use They/She/He" isn't still a common thing in most spaces.

Also there are other additions like ze/xe and more but a lot of people get uppity about "inventing words".

blt

« Reply #99 on: 30 Nov 2017, 03:05 »

I'm amused by the way so many  posters on this forum were deliberately calling Tilly Taffy while knowing that wasn't their correct name, but have uniformly jumped into line when told to use gender-neutral pronouns.
Is that more important than getting somebody's name right?

Pretty simple explanation, getting their name wrong was presented as a recurring joke multiple times in the comic so the forums picked up on it. The pronouns weren't.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up