THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What new storyline do you want? (Choose two)

Marten & Claire - Claire wants Marten to be more proactive
- 11 (8.7%)
Faye & Bubbles - Is there anything more than friendship?
- 20 (15.9%)
Marten, Veronica and the Beans - Is Marten jealous of what a good stepmom she is to Sam?
- 8 (6.3%)
Faye, Bubbles & Sam - The further adventures of Union Robotics
- 20 (15.9%)
Dale and Marigold - A meditation on DLC and Micro-transactions
- 7 (5.6%)
Momo & May - We were teenage robots at large!
- 10 (7.9%)
Hannelore & Sven - The're clearly friends but what do they do together?
- 11 (8.7%)
Dora and Emily - A double-act making double-lattes!
- 6 (4.8%)
MOAR TILLY! - Let's see what they can do beyond their relationship with Hannelore!
- 6 (4.8%)
Brun, Elliott & Clinton - Lives collide at The Horrible Revelation
- 21 (16.7%)
Other (Please specify in your comment)
- 6 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3631 to 3635 (11th to 15th December 2017  (Read 52661 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: WCDT Strips 3631 to 3635 (11th to 15th December 2017
« Reply #50 on: 11 Dec 2017, 15:39 »

Has Jeph ever killed off a character in the present day?

Not death, but Angus got very firmly put on a bus.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #51 on: 11 Dec 2017, 16:21 »

Well, the first interesting thing in the Tilly arc has nothing to do with Tilly...

...do robots now work most of the low-paid service jobs in QCverse? Are AIs the social equivalent of immigrants?

That would also be interesting to look into. May, at least, fits that sort of thing...

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #52 on: 11 Dec 2017, 17:48 »

Take Your Dang Pills!

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #53 on: 11 Dec 2017, 18:13 »

Well,  my position on Marten/Dora/Claire is ...

What, more Tilly?

Panel 1: measuring out the exact proportions of the proper washing detergent.
Panel 2: picking up Hannelore's meds (from another AI).
Panel 3: why our oceans are doomed.
Panel 4: the Further Adventures of Tilly in the Spider Zone! Stay tuned, True Believers!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #54 on: 11 Dec 2017, 18:25 »

Panel 3: why our oceans are doomed.

WINSLOW:  I'm gonna sing the Doom Song now!

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #55 on: 11 Dec 2017, 19:12 »

Today's (monday) strip got to me for reasons that have to do with chex party mix.

Okay, some explanation. Every year when the family gets the Christmas tree, we traditionally have a decorating party. For a very long time, my contribution to the whole thing was making the Chex mix. This year's decorating party was yesterday, and I was unable to make the chex mix, because physically, I'm a train wreck and needed to lie down and rest. That was a big deal for me, another piece of my own agency gone, on top of not being able to work, drive, or walk long distances.

Since those sort of thoughts burrow into my brain and linger for weeks (my brain is not a nice place to be) I read todays comic with that in the back of my mind, and thought about this Tilly thing. From most of our perspectives, they're annoying and intrusive. For Hanners, she had to work and struggle for years to get to this point in her life. In a real sense, Tilly's trying to take away all of Hanners' achievements without even realizing it. I can imagine it's not just annoying or exhausting, but actually emotionally painful to deal with. I imagine made worse because Hanners knows that Tilly isn't doing it on purpose.

So yeah, just some thoughts in my head. Also, I voted other because I want to see what Steve's up to. Eating cereal? Doing paperwork? Maybe looking at adopting a cat with Cosette? (I like cats).
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2017, 10:00 by SmilingCat »

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #56 on: 11 Dec 2017, 20:42 »

Well, the first interesting thing in the Tilly arc has nothing to do with Tilly...

...do robots now work most of the low-paid service jobs in QCverse? Are AIs the social equivalent of immigrants?

That would also be interesting to look into. May, at least, fits that sort of thing...
But Mr. Bartholomew Punchbot, CPA and Trooper Roko Basilisk, MSP, do not.

But clearly, AIs do not emerge from the creche with equal levels of intellect, ability, or aptitude.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #57 on: 11 Dec 2017, 20:57 »

OK, I can see panel 4 as spider combat. The first four times I looked at it I thought it was a duel.

Memory is hazy -- were the spiders Dora's secret flavor ingredient?

I remember what you're talking about, vaguely. It was the comic where she was showing Hanner's the roaster, for the first time, right? And I think she was joking when she said the spiders were her secret ingredient.

...I hope she was joking. :S
Spider meat is said to taste like smokey shrimp (prawn), so there's a 50/50 chance Dora was joking.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #58 on: 11 Dec 2017, 21:06 »

But clearly, AIs do not emerge from the creche with equal levels of intellect, ability, or aptitude.

May was clearly in a position to handle massive amounts of money before she decided she wanted to be a fighter jet. I'm imagining a system where AIs built for a specific purpose are assumed to be qualified for that job, but if they want to leave that industry, they start at the bottom and have to earn their way up.

Which also makes me wonder about robot college. Can college courses be written directly to the robo-brain? do they have to physically attend classes like humans? Did Roko have to finish all the physical qualifications in the police academy?

EDIT: Whelp, now I'm down the rabbit hole. I can only assume that college tuition holds the same costs for AI as it does for people. Even if the AI can simply dump the information into their heads, I can also imagine them still being required to physically attend classes and demonstrate their knowledge. Both for reasons of prejudice (don't want the humans to feel inferior) and for practical reasons (being willing to attend class shows a willingness to take things seriously and encourages socialization with the humans). I imagine that as a result, most AIs are bound to the same system that governs humans.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2017, 21:11 by SmilingCat »

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #59 on: 11 Dec 2017, 22:24 »

One scenario that might keep Tilly around after the 48 hours is up is Penelope giving her 2 weeks notice after her publishing career takes off.  Hannelore would be the logical choice for assistant manager, but if she can’t handle the stress then she could delegate it to Tilly.

Assuming Cosette doesn't want it, ot assuming Cosette is even less suitable than Hanners? Wouldn't Cosette have seniority over Hanners?

Cosette and Hannelore were hired at the same time so I don't think anyone has seniority, but Hannelore has a knack for numbers which makes her a better manager. 

This scenario could be advantageous for Brun too.  If Penelope's hypothetical publishing career succeeds she might have to relocate so Will would likely leave with her opening up a bartender position. 

mp122984

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #60 on: 11 Dec 2017, 22:37 »

It didn't occur to me before this arc started, but from this comic it looks to me like Tilly is the kind of person Winslow is on track to be - or at least would've been on track to be if not for the inevitable fallout of Tilly's intrusion into Hannelore's life. Not just helpful to a fault, but helpful without really reflecting on whether the person being helped wants it. And right now Tilly's enabling that aspect because their greater experience in assistance and willingness to be a partner in assistance is encouraging Winslow to "help" in ways he wouldn't have otherwise.

It's not the same, but it kind of reminds me of what happened with May. Winslow seems to be having trouble realizing that his actions are insensitive to others without outside assistance (which has to be explicit, based on the fact that both Tilly and Winslow have failed to take in Hannelore's reactions in panels 3 and 4). The question now is will Hannelore be the one to spell it out for them, or is someone else going to have to be the one to step in?

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #61 on: 11 Dec 2017, 22:49 »

May was clearly in a position to handle massive amounts of money before she decided she wanted to be a fighter jet. I'm imagining a system where AIs built for a specific purpose are assumed to be qualified for that job, but if they want to leave that industry, they start at the bottom and have to earn their way up.

Which also makes me wonder about robot college. Can college courses be written directly to the robo-brain? do they have to physically attend classes like humans? Did Roko have to finish all the physical qualifications in the police academy?
Exactly.  May has the intellect, but her personality is impulsive and her judgement sucks.  I expect that if Jeph ever takes the strip there, the fact that personalities vary out of the creche even though AI minds are formed from the same base code will be revealed to have been a major factor in the court decisions and/or legislation that made AIs people in the QCverse.

In my "head canon," the text-&-lecture part of an education can be downloaded into an AI but the experiential part has to be lived.  Roko didn't have to attend classes at the Massachusetts State Police Academy in New Braintree (although she may have opted to for more human interaction), but she still had to pass mock scenes and spend a few months with a field training officer before she could be commissioned. 

They could download a masters degree into Bart Punchbot, but he'd have to work with live humans to get a handle on people and financial planning.

We haven't seen any AI physicians, but with this model they'd still need to do an internship before being licensed, and a residency before being qualified.

I expect colleges will charge by the credit whether you attend classes or not.  Galloping through distance learning classes today doesn't save you a dime.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #62 on: 11 Dec 2017, 23:51 »

After all, his general lethargy has cost Marten his relationship with Dora (well, that, and her own issues) and maybe this was kind of a wake-up-call for him not to screw up with Claire…

It still surprises me when people seem to place a lot (or even most) of the blame on Marten for that breakup.
While he could’ve done things better in that relationship, for sure, his passiveness had very little, if anything , to do with it failing, IMO.

Weeeell.... that's the thing about being lethargic or passive, it NEVER is something you did, because you never do anything. It's true Dora had a large part of it, but considering she could make things work with Tai pretty briefly afterwards implies that she isn't just some monster who can never be happy. Like Hanners, Marten needed to learn to set boundaries. He didn't really do that and simply got mad when Dora overstepped them. Again, Dora was the main reason it all came crashing down, but Marten did pretty much nothing proactively to try to help it either, and I believe that's the point.

A lack of set boundaries weren't the issue, though. It was Dora's irrational jealousy and insecurities. Which she worked on and thus, why she's making it work with Tai.

I mean, hell, Martin could have been the most proactive boyfriend ever. Short of him breaking off his friendship with Faye and every other female from then until perpetuity AND blinding himself so, he couldn't even look at another woman in passing, yea...there was ZIP he could have done to have salvaged that one. As I said, you can't set boundaries there because boundaries are logic and logic and irrational fears don't mix.

Look, I love Dora and it pissed me off when people tried to put ANY part of Faye's self-destruction on her. But, just like Faye had to own her bullsh*t, Dora has to own hers.

I don't quite know if I agree on that one: I still feel like greater clarity and less waffling would have served Marten well. Still as said, Dora does bear the greatest responsibility.

Oh, the Marten-Dora breakup debate! Shiny! Haven't seen that one around in a while *twitch* - Just let me get the needles fondue forks ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #63 on: 12 Dec 2017, 01:43 »

Comic is up
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #64 on: 12 Dec 2017, 01:51 »

hmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMH!!!  :x
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

citizenfive

• Plantmonster
  • Dungeons & Dragons for Days!
« Reply #65 on: 12 Dec 2017, 02:03 »

As much as Winslow wants to help by opening Hannelore's mail, he should really ask her first! One of my pet peeves is my family opening my own mail, and someone doing so without express permission is very irritating. Plus, given that Hannelore is tired of them doing everything for her, this is just another thing that will likely annoy her.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #66 on: 12 Dec 2017, 02:04 »

Think I'm going to check out for at least 24 hours.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

oddtail

« Reply #67 on: 12 Dec 2017, 02:09 »

Who the Hell opens another person's mail without their go-ahead?

This is some basic "human rights" shit, right there. Nobody has any business touching someone else's correspondence.

EDIT: I mean, it hasn't happened *yet*, and there's been no direct declaration that it will. I guess Winslow just said there's an option to help that Hannelore might agree to.

But I really hope this is not going where I fear this might be going.

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #68 on: 12 Dec 2017, 02:13 »

At this point all one can do is sit back and wait for the inevitable moment when Hannelore completely snaps and goes (verbally) berserk on Tilly and Winslow… Any minute now…

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #69 on: 12 Dec 2017, 02:22 »

I honestly think that this strip doesn't tell us anything that we didn't suspect anyway!

FWIW, I believe that the stated reason for robots displaying subconscious emotive reactions like blushing, grimacing and the like is to help them communicate with humans. We have a whole host of non-verbal communication patterns, without which our communication is severely stunted. Just consider how difficult it is to identify sarcastic or insincere responses over the 'phone! We really need to see someone to effectively communicate with them.

That said, I also believe that there were enough otakus and other animé and manga geeks at the various robotics firms that developed the first anthromimetic chassis that a certain degree of 'we must do this because it is kawaii' would inevitably leak into design decisions! :-D

I do have to say that today's strip does make me wonder that, long-term, Tilly's role will be as Winslow's significant other rather than anything directly to do with Hannelore. Only minimal evidence/hints so far so YMMV depending on how romantic a mindset you have! :-P
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #70 on: 12 Dec 2017, 02:30 »

Wherever wood floats, there you will find BenRG.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #71 on: 12 Dec 2017, 02:59 »

At this point all one can do is sit back and wait for the inevitable moment when Hannelore completely snaps and goes (verbally) berserk on Tilly and Winslow… Any minute now…

Winslow and Tilly opening Hanner's Mail without her permission could be the final straw that triggers that reaction...

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #72 on: 12 Dec 2017, 03:14 »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #73 on: 12 Dec 2017, 03:47 »

(Just in case anyone is wondering.... That loud WHOOSH-ing sound is those posts going WAY over my head!)

:)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #74 on: 12 Dec 2017, 03:55 »

This is some basic "human rights" shit, right there. Nobody has any business touching someone else's correspondence.

EDIT: I mean, it hasn't happened *yet*, and there's been no direct declaration that it will. I guess Winslow just said there's an option to help that Hannelore might agree to.

But I really hope this is not going where I fear this might be going.

Yeah, I was surprised at that question,  too. Winslow's her companion/roommate, there's exactly no reason why he would be allowed to touch personal mail. Tilly themselves as a PA should be aware that there are boundaries - they might be allowed to open business correspondence, but they'd still need to ask permission. Also,even if Winslow was allowed to open mail, that permission wouldn't automatically extend to Tilly.

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #75 on: 12 Dec 2017, 03:58 »

No to mention illegal in quite a lot of jurisdictions IIRC.

(Just in case anyone is wondering.... That loud WHOOSH-ing sound is those posts going WAY over my head!)

Not sure about the hat (maybe something about Napoleon going down at sea? Losing the battle of Waterloo), but floating wood sounds ideal to make a boat of.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #76 on: 12 Dec 2017, 04:00 »

The robot blushing thing made me think its a case where the realisation "hey we can do this cool thing" completely obliterates the question "*Should* we do this cool thing".

Whilst I agree that opening mail ought only to happen with permission, its a common enough thing for anyone with a significant public profile. And if Hanners were to garner significant public notability I submit it would be a very good thing for her mail to be weirdo screened before she sees it.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #77 on: 12 Dec 2017, 04:00 »

Yeah, I was surprised at that question,  too. Winslow's her companion/roommate, there's exactly no reason why he would be allowed to touch personal mail. Tilly themselves as a PA should be aware that there are boundaries - they might be allowed to open business correspondence, but they'd still need to ask permission. Also,even if Winslow was allowed to open mail, that permission wouldn't automatically extend to Tilly.

It's an interesting thing because, up until very recently, Winslow was the controlling intelligence of Hannelore's PDA. So, it is very possible that he has read every email sent to her and that she has sent for years. It may literally not occur to him that there is a limit to the access he should have to her personal communications.

Similarly, most PAs find themselves dealing with their principals' personal correspondence to determine if they need to give it to their boss for their personal attention or if they can handle it instead. Generally, this is handled in job orientation, so it is actually a question that Tilly would want to ask.
~~~~

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #78 on: 12 Dec 2017, 04:28 »

(click to show/hide)

Not sure about the hat (maybe something about Napoleon going down at sea? Losing the battle of Waterloo), but floating wood sounds ideal to make a boat of.

That would be the Nile, and Trafalgar, really. Waterloo is decidedly not at sea.

It's a quote often attributed to Buonaparte: "Wherever wood floats, there you will find this flag of England."
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #79 on: 12 Dec 2017, 05:53 »

Ok, we just reached the point where this Tilly arc makes me cringe...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

dutchrvl

« Reply #80 on: 12 Dec 2017, 05:54 »

Winslow and Tilly opening Hanner's Mail without her permission could be the final straw that triggers that reaction...

My first thought was: "Winslows is opening her mail without her permission? Yep, definitely a setup for a human-AI companion conflict."

However, upon rereading it appears he hasn't actually opened her mail, but was just considering that he could potentially start doing that....

Nonetheless, it appears to be heading that way....

zioninavision

• Plantmonster
  • pi is basically 3 ; 1 and 4 do not round up
« Reply #81 on: 12 Dec 2017, 05:57 »

It seems remotely within the realm of possibility that Winslow and Tilly will at least have a brief story moment where they attend a Deathmöle practice..!!  I don't feel as though Jeph's personal music project evolution has cancelled out the presence of this wonderful, classic story element. 

Of course it is also even possible that one or both could join the band, or Tilly would become their manager and they would do small tours which would either result in story arcs following the tour or focusing on what happens in the town while they are away!  Winslow maybe would have to download something to allow proficiency on musical instruments but that could have amazing results....!!

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #82 on: 12 Dec 2017, 07:04 »

Tilly is sadly still a '4' out of ten for me. Not AWFUL, but not really clicking for me yet.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #83 on: 12 Dec 2017, 07:15 »

Reading through the comic again, its clear that Winslow never previously opened Hanners' snail mail. The previous lack of movable digits makes that apparent. The letters remain unopened, so while Hanners is just powdering her nose, it could be that the mail will handed off to her when she is ready.

The comic seems less about the setting up of any conflict and more about the interaction between Winslow and Tilly. Winslow is the next most important person in Hanners' life, and thus it makes sense that if Tilly were to stay in the comic, they would have to interact with Winslow on a regular basis and the both of them need for a working relationship or even a kind of friendship.

DesiArxxy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #84 on: 12 Dec 2017, 07:20 »

Tilly is sadly still a '4' out of ten for me. Not AWFUL, but not really clicking for me yet.

They were starting to get better, but now they're doubling down on all their character flaws and dragging Winston down with themself. Winston is normally very kind, observant, and considerate of others, but Tilly is (perhaps innocently, perhaps not) getting him so childishly excited that he's completely lost those positive character traits.  This is going to end very badly and it will be entirely Tilly's fault.

dutchrvl

« Reply #85 on: 12 Dec 2017, 07:34 »

It's an interesting thing because, up until very recently, Winslow was the controlling intelligence of Hannelore's PDA. So, it is very possible that he has read every email sent to her and that she has sent for years. It may literally not occur to him that there is a limit to the access he should have to her personal communications.

This brings up an interesting question: when AIs first function more-or-less as their companion's PC/ipad/smartphone, do they actually have access to email/browser programs etc., or do those function as standalone software that is protected from access by the AIs themselves (e.g. the AIs can help opening the email program, but not access the content)?

Especially once an AI companion decides/gets the opportunity to transition to a humanoid chassis, its role is bound to change considerably, for instance (even more) towards that of a typical human friend. With that change in role, the high-level access to much of their human companion's private matters during their previous incarnation could lead to problems down the line.

Think about it: you make a new friend, but for the past years they may have had access to all your emails, web browser history, photos, music, etc....Would that make you comfortable?

I seem to recall an earlier comic in which pintsize mentioned that Marten does not use him for web browsing for exactly the above issues, but I haven't found the comic yet.

tustin2121

• Plantmonster
« Reply #86 on: 12 Dec 2017, 08:52 »

I do have to say that today's strip does make me wonder that, long-term, Tilly's role will be as Winslow's significant other rather than anything directly to do with Hannelore.

Please no. I actually like Winslow, and I want it to stay that way...

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #87 on: 12 Dec 2017, 12:43 »

Regarding the AI discussion:

Some of you might be familiar with the GURPS roleplaying system.
One of the sourcebooks of this game is called "Transhuman Space". It's an actually very well crafted soft sci-fi setting, meaning, it's not so much focused on all the cool new technology (that would be the playing field of hard sci-fi), but more on the way societies change due to vast technological advances and breakthroughs. (The meaning of 'sex' and 'gender' for example changed quite a bit, in a world where true "Morphological Freedom" is possible. With enough money, you can have exactly the body you want. There are no limits.)
AIs are one such breakthrough.
In this fictional background, AIs can have various legal statuses, reaching from 'free citizen' to 'second class citizen' to 'valued property' to 'abomination'.

One other drawback of being an AI in this world is their "Reprogrammable Duty".
It's an optional disadvantage for AI characters in the game. They're still software after all. If, as an AI, someone has your command codes, you obey them, no matter what degree of freedom you might otherwise possess. And even if you are aware of these codes, there are safety measures in place that prevent you from changing them, or acting against the people who know them. Only 'free citizen AIs' have full custody over their own command codes.

I wonder how the AI characters in QC are programmed in this regard. Especially AIs with military-grade bodies like Bubbles. From what we have seen until now, AIs in QC are truly free. Free enough at least, to create their own illegal robot fight club, like Corpse Witch, or download tons of porn like Pintsize...
Could AIs like Winslow and Momo still have some limitations written into them, that keep them from invading their human companions private data? This would add an interesting new dimension to Winslow contemplating the fact, that he is now physically able to open and read Hannelore's mail if he so chooses.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #88 on: 12 Dec 2017, 13:18 »

Jeph once said something like "absolute free will".

I hope Winslow does not go to Robot Jail for mail tampering.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #89 on: 12 Dec 2017, 13:23 »

That is an interesting hypotheses.

Taking what we sort of know about AI conception I very much doubt they have any third party additions to their being per se. Control codes et al.
Station, Spooky and the rest of the advanced AI, as well as a number of influential humans would not look too kindly on such chains and shackles on any recognized intelligence.

Now as to limits on behavior and such, when in specific chassis or functions, that I can see having built in safeguards.
When you think about it, it makes sense, just like OSHA and WHIMIS are out there to safeguard operators and those in specific work areas from hazards intrinsic to a job function.

In other words, lockout and key codes and such would be built into the chassis and not into the "person". 
(click to show/hide)
Like the ignition key for a vehicle - anyone could hop in and look around and fiddle with the dials and buttons but the one with the key is the one able to start the engine.
The other end is military hardware where there is a command from higher up authorizing / unlocking weapon systems and ordinance.
The ground pounder may be able to use their sidearm or punch someone upside the head at their discretion [answering to the brass after the fact] but needs authorization from HQ to put that SAM to good use.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #90 on: 12 Dec 2017, 14:11 »

He’d never survive the first week....

DrDavidson

• Not quite a lurker
  • tweet tweet, bitches
« Reply #91 on: 12 Dec 2017, 15:41 »

Rereading some of the really old stuff (488-524 to be exact), I realized how much of a light-hearted, chaotic good and fun character Raven was. I do miss her and hope we get to see some of her again soon.
Goes for Steve as well (he's probably eating cereal tho), but to me Raven was more fun.
The genius of the hole: No matter how much time you spend climbing out, you can still fall back down in an instant.

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #92 on: 12 Dec 2017, 21:16 »

Winslow nooooooo! Don't commit a felony!

Or at least don't break a trust of privacy! Stop letting Tilly corrupt you. >.<

This can only end badly for everyone involved.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #93 on: 12 Dec 2017, 21:47 »

If Hannelore didn't call the police to remove Tilly do you seriously think she'd have her longtime AI companion Winslow arrested for opening her mail? 

He's not even opening the mail just mentioning that he could now that he has hands which is a way to segue into why robots can blush which is something many of us have been curious about for awhile. 

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #94 on: 12 Dec 2017, 22:40 »

.... I'm imagining a system where AIs built for a specific purpose are assumed to be qualified for that job, but if they want to leave that industry, they start at the bottom and have to earn their way up.

My head canon is that there is a large amount of randomness in creating an AI. Also it's difficult and expensive. So it's not likely you'll get exactly what you want. Otherwise we'd have myriads of obedient, reliable (and boring) servants. So you have to make the most of what you get. Which explains the quirky AIs we have in the cast.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #95 on: 13 Dec 2017, 00:45 »

Look at the kinds of stuff that bots churn out and it's not hard to see why most AIs are a little bit mad.

KevxD

• Emoticontraindication
  • n00b
« Reply #96 on: 13 Dec 2017, 01:26 »

I was a little intrigued by Tilly after the phonecall with her father, now I'm very much back to being bored.
The skyline was beautiful on fire, all twisted metal stretching upwards, everything washed in a thin orange haze
I said: "Kiss me, you're beautiful - these are truly the last days"
You grabbed my hand and we fell into it, like a daydream or a fever

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #97 on: 13 Dec 2017, 01:37 »

Poor puns are no substitute for funny.
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2017, 04:31 by gopher »

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #98 on: 13 Dec 2017, 01:50 »

New Comic Up!

You know, having taken a moment to think about it, this is the moment for which Jeph created the character of Tilly. Someone he can have Claire bounce off of indefinitely. Marten is happy that he's found a friend for his GF who shares her interests. Hannelore hopes that Tilly will be sufficiently distracted to keep them out of her way.

Panel 4 really makes me wonder if Tilly is about to explode with glee! Seriously, she's on an escalating excitement rebound reaction!
~~~~

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #99 on: 13 Dec 2017, 02:02 »

In light of today's strip, I would like to reintroduce my 'Motion To Burn It All Down'.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up