THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 03:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ring in the Year to Come Your 2018 Wish List! (Choose 3)

The Claireten Wedding
- 9 (3.5%)
An exploration of AI childhood
- 29 (11.2%)
Canon polyamorous relationship
- 22 (8.5%)
Crisis at Coffee of Doom (financial or staffing)
- 5 (1.9%)
Emily's origin story
- 28 (10.8%)
Hannelore seriously working on her AI charity
- 14 (5.4%)
Lots of Spookybot cameos pointing towards an Agenda of some sort
- 15 (5.8%)
Faye and Bubbles' big break in publicity terms may be a problem in disguise
- 19 (7.3%)
The Daligold Wedding!!! (With Momo and May as bridesmaids!!!)
- 11 (4.2%)
Angus returns and wants Faye back
- 19 (7.3%)
Corporate shenanigans at Ellicott-Chatham Incorporated
- 19 (7.3%)
Sam IS struggling at school; the main cast try to help
- 14 (5.4%)
After an unspecified issue, Marten, Faye, Bubbles, Claire and Hannelore have to move into a new house
- 23 (8.9%)
First night at the new (and LEGAL) Ultimate Robot Fighting League
- 26 (10%)
Other (please describe in comments)
- 6 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3636 to 3640 (18th to 22nd December 2017)  (Read 52413 times)

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: WCDT Strips 3636 to 3640 (18th to 22nd December 2017)
« Reply #100 on: 20 Dec 2017, 01:18 »

I suspect Beatrice will try to stop Hanners from leaving. This argument isn't over yet.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #101 on: 20 Dec 2017, 01:26 »

I'm expecting Beatrice to threaten Hannelore's friends - Calling in loans, getting pet police officers and other bought-and-paid-for authorities to harass them and the like.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #102 on: 20 Dec 2017, 01:31 »

Nice. Good for Hanners for shutting this complete shit show,  that Beatrice calls "parenting", down. Bea won't realize it, but that was a long time coming.

Though, if that was all there was going to be to this, I'm still confused as to why Hannelore couldn't have booked her own ticket and came alone? Bah! Whatever. >.>

O, and I'm one hundred percent sure Hannelore shoving Beatrice will be accepted by everyone and won't prove controversial in the least.  :roll:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #103 on: 20 Dec 2017, 01:43 »

That was too easy; Beatrice can't be down yet, even though she seems to be reeling.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

« Reply #104 on: 20 Dec 2017, 02:18 »

Well, that was anticlimactic...  :-\

What makes you think thats the end of the story. Its still only Wednesday. We've still got the denouement to see.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #105 on: 20 Dec 2017, 02:32 »

That was probably cathartic, but kind of disappointing, from the point of view of narration...

Didn't go the way you expected, huh?

(click to show/hide)
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #106 on: 20 Dec 2017, 02:42 »

Yes, I for one expected something a little more exiting.
Hannelore going to confront her mother was a very nice setup for what I hoped to be a great conflict. You know, the young heroine taking on a much more powerful villainess… Both parties exchanging vicious (verbal) blows… Todays comic could have been a very cool and dramatic moment. But for me it was a total let-down in that regard.

You’re right of course, this week isn’t over yet. So maybe there’s still hope.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #107 on: 20 Dec 2017, 03:04 »

Bear in mind that it is in character for Hanners though.

She doesn't do confrontation. She does outbursts. Its actually telling that Hanners was able to keep angry through a lengthy process like taking a flight, but its also better for her to briefly confront Beatrice, get the message across and leave before Beatrice could say anything in response.

You're expecting a drawn out verbal brawl, when really its a one punch knockout.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #108 on: 20 Dec 2017, 03:15 »

New Comic Up
Yeah, I called it.

Nah...
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #109 on: 20 Dec 2017, 03:23 »

I'm in the camp of tomorrow being Hannelore talking to Tilly.  This looks like it's Jeph saying it's over.

Actually the first thing I noticed is the difference in facial shape when they're nose-to-nose.  Is that weird?
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #110 on: 20 Dec 2017, 03:43 »

Hanners cutting off ties with her mother was plenty dramatic, IMO.

I think the issue here is that some folks have been building Beatrice up as some kind of Bond villian, with spies everywhere, and intricate plans to enslave her daughter and take over the planet.

When actually, she's just a driven businesswoman who's neglected her daughter (to the point now of exploiting her for personal gain). This is a wake-up call for her.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #111 on: 20 Dec 2017, 04:01 »

Don’t get me wrong. I like Hannelore. I really do. She’s easily one of my favourite characters. And, yes, she has shown considerable determination and strength this week, given her usual way of dealing with things. At the beginning of the Tilly-arc she even said to Dora that she doesn’t have the energy to confront her mother about this whole Forced-PA-Thing. Obviously that is no longer the case…

It’s Beatrice who I’m disappointed of.
Yes, I envisioned her as being more of a Magnificent Bastard.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagnificentBastard

Not on a Bond-villain level, but still… She’s a successful strong-willed business woman who makes deals on an international scale. Is she really just going to stand there, frozen and dumbfounded, and take it?

We still have two more comics this week to find out…

dexeron

• Obscure cultural reference
    • My Twitter
« Reply #112 on: 20 Dec 2017, 04:07 »

O, and I'm one hundred percent sure Hannelore shoving Beatrice will be accepted by everyone and won't prove controversial in the least.  :roll:

That was actually my first thought. Hanner’s actions might be understandable, but they are still assault. Hannelore has every right to be furious at how her mother has manipulated and treated her, that that doesn’t make shoving her right, and it certainly doesn’t make it legal.

If her mother is anywhere nearly as manipulative and conniving as we’ve been led to believe, I can see her turning around and using this against Hannelore.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #113 on: 20 Dec 2017, 04:08 »

So, what's next? Next, Hannelore has to sit down with Tilly and they have to decide what Tilly does next. My concern is that I don't think that Tilly's dad is any more forgiving of the perception of failure than Beatrice is. Things may be hard for them, at least for a while.
I'm not so sure about that; their phone call seemed a lot more good natured than anything we've seen between Hanners and Beatrice.

I wonder what Station's reaction will be.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #114 on: 20 Dec 2017, 04:33 »

Hmmm...

So, "Don't speak to me!" is the be all of this, really.
No "I have no Mother!" or "I renounce this whole situation!" not even a "I don't need you or your money!"

Just a shove and a "Don't talk to me!"

I kinda expected more...

Except... Hanners isn't out of the office yet... and it's only Wednesday!

This could go many ways...
As has been mentioned above the, "Eeexcellent! Your hatred has made you strong!" moment.

Or a "Just you wait a minute, Missy!" moment.

Or an even more anti-climactic, 'Back-at-Hanners' place' -  "So, Tilly, this is how things are gonna go..." moment

I'm praying this is the end of the Tilly arc...
But, as we all know, prayers are pointless.
Covenant

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #115 on: 20 Dec 2017, 04:42 »

Yeah, no. Strangely enough I posted on Jeph's Patreon site that I felt it was not only an unnecessary shove, but also a bit out of character for Hanners, and immediately people disagreed with me, so over there it seems to be almost universally accepted, which I find very odd.

How was a shove necessary here? I get that she's angry and wants to sever ties with her mom, but all that could've easily been handled verbally.
As much as I love Hanners as a character, she was out of line with her physical attack (yes, it was 'only' a shove, but still).

dutchrvl

« Reply #116 on: 20 Dec 2017, 04:48 »

As has been mentioned above the, "Eeexcellent! Your hatred has made you strong!" moment.

Or an even more anti-climactic, 'Back-at-Hanners' place' -  "So, Tilly, this is how things are gonna go..." moment

Other options:
-Beatrice going after her and realizing how she's behaved, leading to a 'moment' between the 2.
-Beatrice commenting on how proud she is of Hanners right now, leading to Hanners' shocking realization that she has more in common with her mom than she would like
-Beatrice threatening Hanners about suing her for the shove unless she cooperates in this negotiation ploy

etc., etc.

The most interesting to me would be if after a while it comes out that Tilly was in on it all.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #117 on: 20 Dec 2017, 04:56 »

Yeah, no. Strangely enough I posted on Jeph's Patreon site that I felt it was not only an unnecessary shove, but also a bit out of character for Hanners, and immediately people disagreed with me, so over there it seems to be almost universally accepted, which I find very odd.

How was a shove necessary here? I get that she's angry and wants to sever ties with her mom, but all that could've easily been handled verbally.
As much as I love Hanners as a character, she was out of line with her physical attack (yes, it was 'only' a shove, but still).

The problem is that you're interpreting this rationally when 'rational' was in no part any element of Hannelore's mind-set at the time. The shove was 'necessary' as the end point of a lifetime of condescension and manipulation during which Beatrice has made it very clear that she perceives Hannelore as a disobedient child whose mental health issues are just her acting out for attention. Hannelore has had enough of her mother thinking that she can impose her will and agenda on her and anger drove her actions.

FWIW, I interpret events as this way:
  • Beatrice comes from behind her desk and gets in Hannelore's face;
  • Hannelore pushes her back out of her personal space;
  • Hannelore then starts telling Beatrice off but (and this is interesting) still generally respects her space, except by a jabbed finger.
Onto the subject of rest of the week, I'm expecting at least one reaction strip for Hannelore, possibly her crying on Tilly's shoulder about the fact that "I don't have a mummy anymore." Friday will almost certainly be Beatrice's reaction, possibly talking to her PA in a deliberate mirror of Hannelore's reaction.;
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2017, 08:04 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #118 on: 20 Dec 2017, 05:00 »

We still have two more comics this week to find out…
And since Jeph tends to do fillers in the week between Christmas and New Year, I expect this to be fully resolved by then. One of those strips will be Hanners talking to Tilly. One may be Beatrice trying to understand Hanners.
It's OOC yes, but that's basically what was necessary for Bea to actually shut up. A simple verbal notice would have left her with an opening to come back that the shove prevents.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Damnit, Ben, you beat me to the point
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #119 on: 20 Dec 2017, 05:00 »

Other options:
-Beatrice going after her and realizing how she's behaved, leading to a 'moment' between the 2.
-Beatrice commenting on how proud she is of Hanners right now, leading to Hanners' shocking realization that she has more in common with her mom than she would like
-Beatrice threatening Hanners about suing her for the shove unless she cooperates in this negotiation ploy

etc., etc.

The most interesting to me would be if after a while it comes out that Tilly was in on it all.

Ah yes... I forgot the "moment of maternal introspection'
(maybe it's cause I can't see such a schmaltzy thing happening, but yes, it is an option.)
(I think the other two you mention above are sort of covered in my 1st and 2nd possibilities... :)   )

As far as Tilly being in on it.. well, yeah, possible, But doesn't seem *too* likely (to me!)

(I'm SURE I made a post last night (but cannot see it, and can't quite remember the thrust of it) ...something like going on about the call Tilly had with Daddy Dearest, and how that call shows that he was going against "The Deal" and Tilly would blow it wide open by mentioning it, and Beatrice would use it to sue his arse off, and somehow this would lead to Tilly becoming a regular "Hanner's friend"...

And again.. praying such a thing does NOT happen!)  :)

Aye, tomorrow will be interesting...

Oh... and  re:
Quote from: dutchrvl

I wouldn't be *too* surprised at that...
Seemingly those same people LOVE Taffy!  :)
Covenant

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #120 on: 20 Dec 2017, 05:24 »

Anticlimactic? Disappointing? Did we see the same comic?

Because I don't watch sports, but I just roared like my favourite sports team sportsed real hard.

Yeah, sure, but it just started, and it's already over. The whole fight, if I may call it that way, takes only 4 panels...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #121 on: 20 Dec 2017, 05:26 »

What makes you think thats the end of the story. Its still only Wednesday. We've still got the denouement to see.

Hmmm... Hanners walking out, maybe?

Tub

• Plantmonster
« Reply #122 on: 20 Dec 2017, 05:42 »

Finally, two for two on parental physical contact. It took five years, but hanners is getting things done.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #123 on: 20 Dec 2017, 06:00 »

Hmmm... Hanners walking out, maybe?

She's not out of the office by the end of the strip, though... :)
(In fact, given the size of the office and her distance from Beatrice, she's probably not even half-way to the door in the last panel.)

It's a great set-up for a "Columbo" moment..

"Ahhh... just one more thing, Hannelore..."

(None of which suggests this *will* happen however!)  :)
Covenant

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #124 on: 20 Dec 2017, 07:05 »

Yeah, I'm expecting something to come up Thrs or Friday.

Or Jeph will surprise us & jump to Union Robotics or something...

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #125 on: 20 Dec 2017, 07:58 »

How was a shove necessary here?

In addition to points about this already brought up above: Hannelore doesn't touch people unless she feels it's necessary. She avoids it if at all possible.

ANY hostile contact sends a very strong message when it comes from her.

"This is how much you've fucked up. I'm physically pushing you away because of your bullshit. Think on that."

As for all the folks who are apparently convinced Beatrice had plans in place to deal with this and is some super-intelligent corporate mastermind: this is the woman who had such an incompetent file put together on her own daughter that it was worse than useless, blew two thousand dollars on a bet about whether or not someone would touch a toilet seat, and has - by my memory - demonstrated no particular acuity for...anything, really, other than being rich and ruthless on-page. She's a trash fire. A wealthy trash fire who will happily burn you down with her, but a trash fire none the less. I don't know why anyone was expecting a different outcome.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #126 on: 20 Dec 2017, 08:02 »

I'm in the camp of this strip being a Big Deal. Cutting out a toxic person can be so hard. Even if the practice is telling them to leave you alone, that is the culmination of years of bad treatment in Hannelore's case. After years of backing down, it's a huge thing to finally say, "I won't take this."

tustin2121

• Plantmonster
« Reply #127 on: 20 Dec 2017, 08:06 »

Finally, two for two on parental physical contact. It took five years, but hanners is getting things done.

Hm, yes, I hadn't considered how impactful Hanners shoving Beatrice was until you pointed it out. That's probably why Beatrice is reeling so hard right now. Beatrice is definitely not done with this argument yet, imo...

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #128 on: 20 Dec 2017, 08:51 »

WHOA That was a bit more intense than I imagined it would be!
I don't think we've ever SEEN Hanners like this! She's "asserted herself" (her words) before, but this is just a new level.

She SHOVED her mother! Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham USING PHYSICAL VIOLENCE (although light) AGAINST ANOTHER HUMAN BEING.

Now, given that Hanners was the big driving force behind Dora rekindling her relationship with Sven, I'm sure we'll get Dora's input on the situation as soon as the scene shifts back to CoD.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #129 on: 20 Dec 2017, 08:51 »

I'm in the camp of this strip being a Big Deal. Cutting out a toxic person can be so hard. Even if the practice is telling them to leave you alone, that is the culmination of years of bad treatment in Hannelore's case. After years of backing down, it's a huge thing to finally say, "I won't take this."

It IS of course a big deal. But in terms of narration, it's really short. I, for one, can't see what Beatrice could possibly reply to her daughter, so the argument seems to be over. I awaited something more... developed and lengthy.

fenrec

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #130 on: 20 Dec 2017, 08:53 »

The most fun thing about this comic is all the projection going on in the forum.   :-o

blt

« Reply #131 on: 20 Dec 2017, 08:57 »

Hanners cutting off ties with her mother was plenty dramatic, IMO.

I think the issue here is that some folks have been building Beatrice up as some kind of Bond villian, with spies everywhere, and intricate plans to enslave her daughter and take over the planet.

When actually, she's just a driven businesswoman who's neglected her daughter (to the point now of exploiting her for personal gain). This is a wake-up call for her.

The shark tank and wood chipper sort of did the building for us.

And the volcano cannon. Although that could be hyperbole.  Or normal in business.  Who knows.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #132 on: 20 Dec 2017, 09:55 »

That was too easy; Beatrice can't be down yet, even though she seems to be reeling.
I absolutely understand why you say this, but does she have any moves to make? Cordial relations once cut off by one party aren't exactly something which may be forced by the other party.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #133 on: 20 Dec 2017, 10:37 »

It IS of course a big deal. But in terms of narration, it's really short. I, for one, can't see what Beatrice could possibly reply to her daughter, so the argument seems to be over. I awaited something more... developed and lengthy.

Thing is, I don't really see how developing and lengthening it, would make it better. A short, clean break, allows for greater intensity, than one drawn out over a week or so. Drawing it out, would potentially provide more drama, but more of the lukewarm will-they-won't-they type. The approach that's been taken here, however, delivers a punch.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #134 on: 20 Dec 2017, 10:38 »

Well, here's the thing. Hanners is a (deservedly)favorite character of many. So, yea, if the roles were reversed and Hannelore had done nothing but yelled and screamed in Beatrice's face and then, Beatrice had been the one who had done the shoving, you'd have been able to hear the collective rage-screaming from space. But, since it's Hannelore doing the clearly wrong thing of using unnecessary physical violence....to justify it, you can expect people to do mental gymnastics so fantastic it'd make Simone Biles blush.  :-)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #135 on: 20 Dec 2017, 10:44 »

Well somebody just lost access to the Castlery Rock beach house.

Beatrice is probably feeling a mixture of pride that her daughter stood up to her and blinding rage that she defied her and doesn’t know how to react.  She’ll feel better later when she beats to death a televangelist at her private golf course.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #136 on: 20 Dec 2017, 11:06 »

Do we have textev that Hannelore gets an allowance? Her counting business could have met her modest needs.

Station would help her financially at need, for certain.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Voran

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #137 on: 20 Dec 2017, 11:22 »

Hm.  My concern is this.  Hanners just assaulted her mom, tho technically I think its battery.  Worse the argument could be made she intentionally traveled all those miles from her residence, on a plane, to her mother's workplace, disrupted the work of OTHER people beyond her mom and then intentionally used force on her mother.

Hm, and if she immediately jumps back on a plane and returns home, would that be considered fleeing? 

I also think its kinda cheap that the author managed to get everyone out of the room conveniently before Hanners could commit her crime. 

I am curious to see if there will actually be consequences for the ridiculous choice Hanners just made, or if the trend of the main chars never really getting consequences and just moving on to the next story event continues.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #138 on: 20 Dec 2017, 11:29 »

Maybe this heinous incident will be adapted into an intensely overacted Australian TV drama: "The Shove".

RMc

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #139 on: 20 Dec 2017, 11:36 »

Yeah, not buying it.

This series is good example of the character inconsistencies rife throughout the strip.

*First of all, nobody maintains that level of anger for days on end unless they're sporting some serious mental illness. (And I don't mean the cutesy OCD she supposedly has; more like full-on schizophrenia.)
*Second, how was Hannelore able to burst into the boardroom like that? Don't they have security? Wouldn't she have to sign in at the front desk or something? Wouldn't they let Beatrice know her own daughter was coming, and loaded for bear?
*Third, the idea that Hannelore could simply scream GET OUT and Beatrice would tell everyone to leave the room is laughable. More likely, she would simply tell her daughter to cool her jets, and, if Hannelore persisted, call security.
*Lastly, Beatrice is supposed to be a hardened woman who's been in corporate America for a long time. Women in corporate America face a lot of unwanted touching, as The Reckoning has taught us. Getting rudely shoved would probably be Beatrice's berzerk button; in reality, Hannelore would've gotten about half-way through the first sentence of her tirade before being interrupted by a vicious slap to the face, followed by an even-more vicious dressing-down.

But, no, we all have to listen to Hannelore's little foot-stamping screed, bleating about her tiresome mommy issues, followed by an even more tiresome "Good *day*, madam!" bit. In real life, people who pull stunts like that get tackled from behind and seriously messed up.

I don't know how this gets resolved, but I'm sure it will be a silly cliche or two, 'cuz that's how this comic rolls.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #140 on: 20 Dec 2017, 11:55 »

Holy crap, Hanners is scary when she is pissed.  Waiting to see where this goes.  I have no idea but I anticipate I will enjoy the ride.

Also, all the talk about assault and battery, etc.  Are you forgetting where they are?  They are on a space station, in international space.  there are only legal issues if the laws of the station say there are.

Storel

« Reply #141 on: 20 Dec 2017, 12:07 »

Also, all the talk about assault and battery, etc.  Are you forgetting where they are?  They are on a space station, in international space.  there are only legal issues if the laws of the station say there are.

No, no, her dad is on the space station. Her mom is in... California, I think? They divorced a long time ago, so Hannermom wouldn't have stayed on the station.

Besides, we saw Hanners taking an airplane ride to get to her mom, not a space shuttle.

Milayna

« Reply #142 on: 20 Dec 2017, 12:27 »

Kindaaaa wasn't going to say anything at first but then decided fuckit, I'm doin it?

RMc: Not serious mental illness? "cutesy OCD she supposedly has"? http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=959 Are we reading the same fucken strip? http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2134 Or are you the kinda person that finds a immobilizing-strap gurney "cutesy"? As someone who has mental illnesses themself: Fuck off!

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #143 on: 20 Dec 2017, 12:39 »

Lighten up, folks, people do unnecessary things like that all the time.  If they didn't Roko and her colleagues would be out of work.  Not to condone shoving matches and worse, but this is about as low as things go on the contact violence scale.

Yes, by pushing her mother, Hanners committed a misdemeanor assault (whether or not it's termed "battery" will depend on state law where it happened).  Yes, it was unnecessary in-universe, but probably necessary to Jeph's plot.  It's classed as domestic violence in most states.  If the parties are separated by an airliner flight, the local police aren't going to be too concerned about it starting up again.  Unless Beatrice bruises very easily, she's uninjured.  The cops aren't going to chase a misdemeanor across state lines. 

However, the odds of Beatrice calling the police are slim.  Bigshots like her do NOT like the cops in their space - even if she's Mad-as-Hell she'll think twice about summoning them to the Ellicott-Chatham Mordor Tower.  If she calls her lawyer, and presuming said lawyer isn't just a yes-person, the advice will be, "There's more to loose by making this public.  Don't involve the cops."

No injuries + no damage = no civil case to sue for.  Even Judge Judy would consider it a waste of time.

If Hanners is interviewed, odds are the officer will refer the report to the city attorney or whoever for action.  The city attorney will take one look at Hanners's non-existent criminal record and decline prosecution.

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #144 on: 20 Dec 2017, 12:45 »

Kindaaaa wasn't going to say anything at first but then decided fuckit, I'm doin it?

RMc: Not serious mental illness? "cutesy OCD she supposedly has"? http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=959 Are we reading the same fucken strip? http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2134 Or are you the kinda person that finds a immobilizing-strap gurney "cutesy"? As someone who has mental illnesses themself: Fuck off!

Thank you.

That was one of the grossest things I've read on these forums, to date. >.>

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #145 on: 20 Dec 2017, 12:46 »

Maybe this heinous incident will be adapted into an intensely overacted Australian TV drama: "The Shove".

I was going to react to the previous posts but then I read this.  :-D
Well played.

(This is what this post is referring to, for the benefit of non-Australians)

Follow up post, edited in to avoid double posting.

I'm surprised at the number of people who think that there will or should be serious consequences to the shove.

What are you imagining exactly? Beatrice thinks: My daughter just cut off ties! What should I do? I know! I'll press charges against my own daughter! For a shove! That will repair our relationship.

Seriously?

Anyway, it's still possible that Beatrice will say something before Hanners can get out the door.

I'm going to head to Patreon right now and find out.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2017, 13:19 by Tova »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #146 on: 20 Dec 2017, 14:40 »

To the people who believe that Hanners is in the wrong about pushing her mother, consider this.

Hanners can barely hug her own father, to the point where her gift for his birthday was one. Where he teared up at so simple a gesture.

Because Hanners really can't handle touching people, yeah, she's gotten better about it over the years, but her neuroses are such a defining and central part of her character that any act of contact with another person is a huge deal.

Hanners pushed her mother. That's how angry she's gotten thanks to her mother's schemes. Because this isn't just bringing in Tilly under false pretences. This is the culmination of everything that Beatrice has done throughout Hanners' life. Beatrice has never seen her daughter's illnesses as such, just responding to them as "grow up" and making choices for Hanners' without any consideration for her own daughter. Imagine living your entire life under that abuse. Imagine spending your entire life not being seen as a child of someone, but as a commodity or resource to be used when the time is right. The only time we've ever seen Beatrice say she loved her daughter was when she was drunk and the only time she said she was proud of Hanners was when Hanners was passed out drunk. No matter how you slice it, that is not a healthy relationship.

Why did Hanners essentially snap? It wasn't because of everything Beatrice has done to her her entire life, it was that she dragged in an innocent person into the mess. We can say whatever about our parents when they act in an abusive manner to us, but the instant that behaviour is seen done to another person, well, Beatrice is probably lucky that Hanners only pushed her.

I'm not condoning what Hanners did but you can see from her point of view - that was the final straw and the end of her relationship with Beatrice.

Scarlet Manuka

« Reply #147 on: 20 Dec 2017, 15:02 »

Does it bother anyone else that Hannelore has been all "I'm not your boss, I don't need a PA" since Tilly arrived, but AFTER the two days has ended and she's shown her the door, she has no problem with "oh hey PA, book us some plane tickets"?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #148 on: 20 Dec 2017, 15:06 »

It's a recognition of Hanners' realisation that Tilly is not her persecutor. Rather, they are a fellow victim.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #149 on: 20 Dec 2017, 15:20 »

Does it bother anyone else that Hannelore has been all "I'm not your boss, I don't need a PA" since Tilly arrived, but AFTER the two days has ended and she's shown her the door, she has no problem with "oh hey PA, book us some plane tickets"?
Not at all.  This arc is about Hanners transforming, in many ways into her mother, something she does not want to do.   And Tova is very correct, Hannelore is seeing Tilly as a weaker victim of the same tormentor.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up