THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 03:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll of the Year - What Character has impressed you the most?

Brun
- 3 (4.7%)
Bubbles
- 41 (64.1%)
Claire
- 2 (3.1%)
Clinton
- 2 (3.1%)
Dora
- 0 (0%)
Emily
- 0 (0%)
Faye
- 3 (4.7%)
Hannelore
- 9 (14.1%)
May
- 3 (4.7%)
Momo
- 0 (0%)
Marten
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3641 to 3645 (25th - 30th December 2017)  (Read 25761 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

A nice, simple one for the end of the year. Which of the main cast (or secondary cast, if you prefer) do you think has impressed you the most over the past year. Be it by character growth, arcs in which they starred or by funnies that they delivered, which of Jeph's creations stuck out in your mind?

Personally, I had to think about this and, in the end, I'm selecting Bubbles, as unimaginative as that is. We've gone from her liberation to her being part of the Main Cast Apartment Extended Family very smoothly. Along the way, we've seen so much character growth in her that she is nearly unrecognisable to the traumatised slave that she was at the start of the year.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2017, 07:43 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT Strips 3641 to 3645 (25th - 30th December 2017)
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2017, 04:05 »

I'm with Ben 100% on this one.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2017, 04:15 »

Me too. Though I was a bit surprised that Tilly didn't get their own entry in the poll.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2017, 04:31 »

Tilly hasn't been around for long enough to be part of a year-as-a-whole poll. Plus, I think he was trying to avoid more arguing about them.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2017, 06:07 »

Comic’s up.

Or should that be: la bande dessinée est en place.

(Google translated, because I don’t speak French.)
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #5 on: 25 Dec 2017, 07:05 »

Bubbles.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2017, 07:34 »

Me too, certainly Bubbles' progress was the most impressing.

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #7 on: 25 Dec 2017, 07:36 »

I find myself wondering exactly what Jeph is saying with this strip. My best guess is that you really, really need to know the lingo to order the food. After all, otherwise there is no guarantee that you even know what you're ordering!

Also, that a relaxed bad attitude isn't a Coffee of Doom staple, it's a universal constant of the independent coffee shop barista! Customer's order doesn't make sense? Treat it as literally as you like; asking for clarification is, after all, just likely to be more work! :laugh:
~~~~

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #8 on: 25 Dec 2017, 08:32 »

When placing an order, remember: Garbage In, Garbage Out.

blt

« Reply #9 on: 25 Dec 2017, 08:45 »

If you're placing an order Starbucks-style in a small French café, he's lucky 20 espresso was all he got.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

Timemaster

• Master of Time
« Reply #10 on: 25 Dec 2017, 08:51 »

If you try to speak Starbucks (tall, grande, venti) in an independent coffeshop anywhere in the world, you're fucked.
 :-D

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #11 on: 25 Dec 2017, 09:06 »

I find myself wondering exactly what Jeph is saying with this strip. My best guess is that you really, really need to know the lingo to order the food. After all, otherwise there is no guarantee that you even know what you're ordering!
H
Venti is Starbuckian for "20 fl oz Cup size". Since Café la Morte is (presumably) located in France, the resident Baristas don't understand Starbuckian, but can readily count to twenty in another romance-language (I've heard this quite often from French or Italian acquantances), so Francohanners assumes that Venti Coffee is supposed to mean 20 Espressos rather than one 592 ml cup of coffee.

A large part of the world uses English as lingua franca, however, this does not mean we all grew up in Flyspeck, AZ - and that's before accounting for English being the Cleptomanic amongst languages. Similarly, Germans will think think you're suffering an anxiety-attack if you tell them you're "angsting" (if they can process your mispronouncing "Angst", that is - the English "a" sounds rather like the German "ä" than the "a"), and  might assume that your " Gestalt-experience" means that you encountered a sinister figure somewhere.
And most German barkeeps will be completely at a loss as to how they're supposed to get the beer you just ordered inside a rock, or why anybody would want something like that in the first place.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2017, 09:56 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #12 on: 25 Dec 2017, 09:20 »

Venti is Starbuckian for "20 fl oz Cup size". Since Café la Morte is (presumably) located in France, the resident Baristas don't understand Starbuckian, but can readily count to twenty in another romance-language (I've heard this quite often from French or Italian acquantances), so Francohanners assumes that Venti Coffee is supposed to mean 20 Espressos rather than one 592 ml cup of coffee.

A large part of the world uses English as lingua franca, however, this does not mean we all grew up in Flyspeck, AZ - and that's before accounting for English being the Cleptomanic amongst languages. Similarly, Germans will think think you're suffering an anxiety-attack if you tell them you're "angsting", and  might assume that your " Gestalt-experience" means that you encountered a sinister figure somewhere.

A Brazilian professor that I've worked with would go into Starbucks when he was in the U.S. and would order a "grande," pronounced as if it were Brazilian Portuguese ("granjee"), and confuse the hell out of the cashier.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Timemaster

• Master of Time
« Reply #13 on: 25 Dec 2017, 09:52 »

When I was in NY a few days ago, I went to Starbucks and ordered a "tall caramell latte".
The woman at the cashier noticed I was from abroad and asked in reply: "So you want a small one?"  :-D

Even the Starbuckians know that this tall/grande/venti-thing ist bullshit. Why don't they go for small/medium/large? Too uncool for hipsters?

Timemaster

EDIT: 25€ for twenty espressos? 1,25€ each? This must be the cheapest coffeeshop ever!  :roll:
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2017, 10:11 by Timemaster »

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #14 on: 25 Dec 2017, 10:09 »

Small/Medium/Large isn't trademarkable...

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2017, 11:43 »

I live in Brazil. "Grande" in portuguese means literally "big", but even here a "grande" coffee in Starbucks is the "medium" sized one. It's really,really amazingly dumb.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2017, 12:57 »

Marketing - where stupid comes to breed and trademark / copyright every known and unknown term and thing in the universe.
We need to Orions to come over and vaporize each and every copyright and patent holder for theft from the public domain.  :-D The centauri I don't trust as much for not pulling the same stunt.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2017, 14:14 »

Marketing - where stupid comes to breed and trademark / copyright every known and unknown term and thing in the universe.
We need to Orions to come over and vaporize each and every copyright and patent holder for theft from the public domain.  :-D The centauri I don't trust as much for not pulling the same stunt.

We've met the Ferengi and they are us.
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2017, 14:29 »

I live in Brazil. "Grande" in portuguese means literally "big", but even here a "grande" coffee in Starbucks is the "medium" sized one. It's really,really amazingly dumb.
Which part of Brazil? I've been to Săo Paulo state and Pernambuco. As the professor put it, my Portuguese was just good enough to not starve.

As for Starbucks, the story I've heard is that they originally had sizes called "Short" and "Tall" which sort of made sense. Then they introduced "Grande" to be larger than Tall (which made Tall's name stupid), and then they did the same thing again by introducing "Venti."

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #19 on: 25 Dec 2017, 15:03 »

An understandable mistake, no? I'd be more apt to believe that the customer is ordering for a lot of friends than the strange idea that they want to drink their coffee out of a bucket.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Clovis Man

• Not quite a lurker
  • A well-preserved paeleoindian.
« Reply #20 on: 25 Dec 2017, 15:46 »

Poll: Bubbles, with Hannelore as a close second.  Major turning points for both of them.  It'll be interesting to see how Hanners and Tilly carry on from here.

Comic: Fortunately, we don't have a Starbuck's in town.  We do, however, have baristas who understand small, medium, and large.
My consuctress on the number 19, she was a honey,
Pink toenails, hands all dirty with money...
== Dire Straits, Wild West End

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #21 on: 25 Dec 2017, 16:10 »

Every time I order a 'large' at Starbuck's, they put venti in it.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #22 on: 25 Dec 2017, 19:00 »

Well, I mean, you've seen Trump. He would probably be flattered by the comparison.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #23 on: 25 Dec 2017, 19:53 »

Does that imply there are Coffee of Doom branches in EVERY country?

The Canadian Coffee of Doom would probably be more polite....  :-D

TheEvilDog

« Reply #24 on: 25 Dec 2017, 20:12 »

An understandable mistake, no? I'd be more apt to believe that the customer is ordering for a lot of friends than the strange idea that they want to drink their coffee out of a bucket.

Obligatory European "Tsk, Americans."

Does that imply there are Coffee of Doom branches in EVERY country?

The Canadian Coffee of Doom would probably be more polite....  :-D

"Oh hey there, how ya doin'? Welcome to Coffee of Broom, can I get you some coffee, eh? We've got a special today where if you order some Machiatto, our barista Clay will mock you and our assistant manager Flora will apologise, eh. If you buy two coffees, you'll get a free curling broom."

(I profusely apologise to any Canadians whom I might have offended.)
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2017, 21:38 by Castlerook »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #25 on: 25 Dec 2017, 20:42 »

Well, I mean, you've seen Trump. He would probably be flattered by the comparison.

He doesn't have the lobes.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #26 on: 25 Dec 2017, 21:06 »

He doesn't have the lobes.

To hear him say it, they're yuuuuge. The bigliest ever. Belive him.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #27 on: 25 Dec 2017, 22:10 »

Centauri never struck me as coffee drinkers.  There is jala, but I don't know what type of drink that is.

Timemaster

• Master of Time
« Reply #28 on: 25 Dec 2017, 23:57 »

When I was in NY, I visited the Trump Tower too. There's a Starbucks in it. I went there and looked, and they only sell the normal tall/grande/venti sizes.
I was dissapointed. I assumed there would be an extra Trump-size, like HUGE. Meaning one gallon of coffee or so. Sold in golden cups of cause.

They don't get the Trump spirit. I suppose the will be fired soon.  :-D

TM

Zog

• Plantmonster
« Reply #29 on: 26 Dec 2017, 00:42 »

I accidentally voted for Brun instead of Bubbles. :(

gopher

« Reply #30 on: 26 Dec 2017, 01:33 »

If you are drinking the boiled rat turds that Starbucks sells, you probably deserve to be f****d with.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #31 on: 26 Dec 2017, 01:43 »

New Comic Up!
Woohoo! Pizza Girl doth return! Based on her expression in panel 3, I suspect that she's already thinking up new and innovative ways to kill her boss for his idea of 'special theme weeks'!

So, what does everyone think? Is that Bubbles asking about her armour or Pintsize? I could come up with plausible stories for both.
~~~~

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #32 on: 26 Dec 2017, 01:52 »

Given the height of the speech box, I'd say Pintsize.

That is some snazzy armour. Though before she explained, I thought it was probably just the costume for Pizza Girl 3: Revenge of the Calzone Clan, in which our hero needs to be beefed up before the franchise goes stale.

WoaLG

« Reply #33 on: 26 Dec 2017, 01:55 »

I would like to think that it's Bubbles. I shudder to think what Pintsize wants the armor for.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #34 on: 26 Dec 2017, 03:04 »

I very much enjoyed QC en Francais, and today's comic it was nice to see Faye and Marten just hanging out. Feel like it's been a while.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #35 on: 26 Dec 2017, 04:27 »

I sorta thought Bubbles, just because I could see her going 'Other people in armor? What?'

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #36 on: 26 Dec 2017, 04:33 »

I would like to think that it's Bubbles. I shudder to think what Pintsize wants the armor for.

It looks like a Bubbles font. Compare the 'I's in particular.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #37 on: 26 Dec 2017, 04:48 »

It’s s weird compositional choice, given that we didn’t see either Bubbles or Pintsize in any of the earlier panels to set up the joke. But I do think it’s Bubbles. Pintsize would never be so polite.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #38 on: 26 Dec 2017, 05:20 »

It’s s weird compositional choice, given that we didn’t see either Bubbles or Pintsize in any of the earlier panels to set up the joke. But I do think it’s Bubbles. Pintsize would never be so polite.

For their sake I hope it was Bubbles who asked that question since it's just polite interest in armor.  This is not a Pizza Girl who takes sass lightly.  Something Faye might want to keep in mind if starts questioning her identity. 

Jakk Frost

« Reply #39 on: 26 Dec 2017, 06:12 »

Everyone else is going on about the "Starbuckian" language, and me, I'm astounded at the price.  At current exchange from euro to USD, that's about $1.49 per espresso.   Dude should have shut his mouth and left with his loot.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #40 on: 26 Dec 2017, 06:26 »

Good catch, Tova.  I never noticed that before.  It has to be Bubbles - Pintsize would, A) never be that polite, and B) never be so subtle as to express interest in the armor when what he's curious about is what's under the armor.

Another random discovery (at least I never noticed it before) - clicking forward from 3009, did Brun's friend Barry's brain come from  robo-boxer Barry's head, or vice versa?  That might account for...certain characteristics.

billydaking

• Plantmonster
« Reply #41 on: 26 Dec 2017, 08:33 »

Good catch, Tova.  I never noticed that before.  It has to be Bubbles - Pintsize would, A) never be that polite....

That's pretty much what I was thinking....Pintsize would never say "please."

That's Bubbles all the way.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #42 on: 26 Dec 2017, 08:55 »

New Comic Up!

Oh, it's not exactly a new comic for everyone.  After asking on Patreon, Jeph is releasing bonus comics to the world at large for the holidays.  I hope that everyone  enjoys.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #43 on: 26 Dec 2017, 09:09 »

New Comic Up!

Oh, it's not exactly a new comic for everyone.  After asking on Patreon, Jeph is releasing bonus comics to the world at large for the holidays.  I hope that everyone  enjoys.

Well, in that case: Many thanks to Jeph & the  Patrons!

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #44 on: 26 Dec 2017, 09:28 »

New Comic Up!

I know the provenance of the strip, the point is that it's a new comic for me.
~~~~

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #45 on: 26 Dec 2017, 14:36 »

I don't think Pintsize would have said "excuse me" or "please."
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #46 on: 26 Dec 2017, 14:48 »

Until you pointed it out, I had assumed Faye wanted to inspect PenPen's armor for design ideas.

Gyrre

« Reply #47 on: 26 Dec 2017, 17:19 »

H

A large part of the world uses English as lingua franca, however, this does not mean we all grew up in Flyspeck, AZ - and that's before accounting for English being the Cleptomanic amongst languages. Similarly, Germans will think think you're suffering an anxiety-attack if you tell them you're "angsting" (if they can process your mispronouncing "Angst", that is - the English "a" sounds rather like the German "ä" than the "a"), and  might assume that your " Gestalt-experience" means that you encountered a sinister figure somewhere.
And most German barkeeps will be completely at a loss as to how they're supposed to get the beer you just ordered inside a rock, or why anybody would want something like that in the first place.
Also, when in Germany, say "my temperature is warm", not "I'm hot".
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #48 on: 27 Dec 2017, 02:32 »

Today's Strip Up!
There are some jobs that are unique to humanform synthetics: Literally something that they and only they can do. In Melon's case that appears to be playing a dying person in a scorpion pit in a cheap 'Chamber of Horrors'-style tourist attraction somewhere. Melon will never get it but the meatsacks seem to find it interesting.

Arthur, meanwhile, is a freelance waste incinerator guy; he uses a domestic cooker to start the blaze. So far he hasn't worked out why the EPA guys keep on having nervous breakdowns when they meet him.

Eh, it's a living.
~~~~

TheEvilDog

« Reply #49 on: 27 Dec 2017, 03:42 »

Well....that’s disturbing.

And then there’s the comic.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up