THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 02:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What wsa your favorite story-line of 2017?

The Liberation of Bubbles
- 43 (54.4%)
Beatrice Goes Too Far (Tilly's Introductory Arc)
- 2 (2.5%)
Union Robotics
- 14 (17.7%)
Claire Moves In
- 3 (3.8%)
The Chronicles of Brun
- 9 (11.4%)
The Life Trials of Clinton Augustus
- 6 (7.6%)
Renee - More than Alt-Faye
- 1 (1.3%)
Other (Please specify in contents)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3646-3650 (1st - 5th January 2018)  (Read 48714 times)

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
Re: WCDT Strips 3646-3650 (1st - 5th January 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 03 Jan 2018, 11:04 »

Ahhh.....

Tilly reminds me a bit more of this Simpsons clip:

The shuttle imploded. The plot device is gone. Wipe it from your collective memories and let's get back to that sweet, sweet Faye and Bubbles shipping.

Or that...BAYE shipping - HA! The crack ship, fan fiction writes itself!

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #101 on: 03 Jan 2018, 11:51 »

I'm still giggling at the idea of Tilly as personal assistant to Tortura, in cyberpunk corporate espionage thrillers. 

But I guess that's just me. 

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #102 on: 03 Jan 2018, 13:18 »

Awww.
Now I'm hoping there's no plot twist like Tilly phoning their dad and/or Bea and going "Just as planned...."

Such a "plot twist" would seriously piss me off and make me laugh at the same time.

SinusPi

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #103 on: 03 Jan 2018, 14:24 »

For what it's worth, the Tilly arc has achieved its (probably) intended outcome: Hanners' hug zone is no longer null. I find it a tiny bit pushed, myself, with the goodbye, though. The "fluids" hug was more than enough, given Hanners' SEVERE personal space restrictions so far.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #104 on: 03 Jan 2018, 15:05 »

@SinusPi, welcome. Hanners doesn't have severe restrictions towards her personal space, her mental illness does. Remember, Hanners is one of the most loving people in the cast, but because of her illness, its difficult for her to show the affection that others can. This is a major thing for her.

With regards to the comments, have people really moved onto wishing Tilly gets McLeaned? (look it up)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #105 on: 03 Jan 2018, 16:02 »

You might do better to say "Colonel Blake'd," but I understand it now.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Bollthorn

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #106 on: 03 Jan 2018, 16:14 »

That last panel made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside ^_^
"Oh Eddie... Why are you an alcoholic?"

"... Because I drink a lot."

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #107 on: 03 Jan 2018, 16:28 »

For what it's worth, the Tilly arc has achieved its (probably) intended outcome: Hanners' hug zone is no longer null. I find it a tiny bit pushed, myself, with the goodbye, though. The "fluids" hug was more than enough, given Hanners' SEVERE personal space restrictions so far.

Agreed. The first time, hey, ok, extreme emotional situations can make us do things we normally wouldn't or couldn't do. But this second one? ehhhh...seems like a way to force an emotional response from the readers and to ingratiate a certain someone with the rest of us. But whatever, this is one of the very few times the comic has shattered my suspension of disbelief and I'll consider my entire argument moot if the hug zone with her actual friends is, actually, no more.

O and, welcome.  :laugh:

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #108 on: 03 Jan 2018, 17:05 »

That last panel made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside ^_^
But is that a good thing?
My warm and fuzzies is usually due to fever - I really hope you are not coming down with the flu.  :roll:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #109 on: 03 Jan 2018, 18:44 »

You know, I wonder if Jeph had a slightly more subtle story to tell here than people have noticed.

This whole arc has been about Hannelore's boundaries: first being willing to establish them by challenging Tillie, something which is very hard for her, and then being able to break through them to actually touch someone.  Twice.

So this thread was abot Tillie, yes, but it was just as much about how they showed us that Hannelore had changed.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #110 on: 03 Jan 2018, 18:46 »

It's important to remember progress with mental health isn't linear. Being able to hug someone in one circumstance doesn't mean Hannelore can hug everyone without issue from now on, or she should or will be okay with a certain circumstance based on previous moments. She's come very far but unfortunately mental illness is very messy and complicated.

This is absolutely congruent with my personal experience of OCD and the respective healing process.

Agreed. The first time, hey, ok, extreme emotional situations can make us do things we normally wouldn't or couldn't do. But this second one? ehhhh...seems like a way to force an emotional response from the readers and to ingratiate a certain someone with the rest of us.

The implicit assumption behind this conclusion is not at all congruent with my personal experience with OCD, or the respective healing process.

And it's profoundly at odds with the explicit advice given to me by experienced mental-health professionals when I expressed a similarly ill-conceived notion of what recovery from OCD has to look like - more specifically: Temporary periods of stagnation-, or even regression after making progress are so common that my therapists sternly warned me against the misconception, and being upset about my real mind's failure to conform with some ill-conceived prejudice informed largely by my impatience "to be done with that shit, already".

If you've experienced OCD yourself, and your experience differs from mine - being different doesn't take away from either of our experiences. Raising one to the level of universal truth very much would.

TL;DR - In my personal experience, the firm expectation that having made progress once or twice implies that the progress must be permanent henceforth is not only about as 'rational' as trying to have a discussion with your PC's BSOD - the notion behind it can be actually harmful to the afflicted. OCD is a dysfunction, not a function - it has neither a purpose, nor does it have to follow rules to achieve one, in fact, it never followed any rules to begin with. OCD doesn't 'do' rules, or logic. The nearest approximation it does are 'tropes' - and those are merely the broad generalizations about topical similarities of intrusive thoughts that many afflicted experience.
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2018, 18:56 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #111 on: 03 Jan 2018, 18:55 »

So 'one step backward' does not mean failure --- or rule out the possibility of another 'two steps forward'.
Thank you!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #112 on: 03 Jan 2018, 19:08 »

So 'one step backward' does not mean failure --- or rule out the possibility of another 'two steps forward'.
Thank you!

Why do we fall, Master Wayne?

Brought tears to my eyes when I first saw that one.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #113 on: 03 Jan 2018, 19:34 »

If you've experienced OCD yourself, and your experience differs from mine - being different doesn't take away from either of our experiences. Raising one to the level of universal truth very much would.

Agreed.* Of course, in reality there are NO set rules for when or, even, IF someone gets cured of their mental illness(es). Or what steps or timeline such a journey will take. And I would hope that my speaking on this fictional universe and its fictional characters wouldn't lead someone to believe I think the same applies in reality.

So, yea, I'm only speaking on the QC universe(and whatever guidelines it seems to be(or was) following on the subject matter) and I'm saying that it seems quite..."miraculous" that the moment Hanners showed that she's ok with multiple instances of physical contact with another person, it was with the divisive character that she's known all of two days. 

*Severe Anxiety/Moderate OCD(just trying to give an idea here, no real scale exists, that I know of) sufferer here, by the way.

JohnAdriaan

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #114 on: 03 Jan 2018, 20:12 »

(A day late, but...) I wonder what Tilly's Garn score* will be? 0.1 or 0.9?

* Senator Jake Garn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_adaptation_syndrome#History

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #115 on: 03 Jan 2018, 21:20 »

Yes, I can recommend an outstanding organisation. They were "Law Firm of the Year" in Antitrust Law just last year.

Jackson, Monk, and Rowe.
An Ellicott-Chatham Enterprises Company.
Ah, the Comcast solution.

They bought tumblr, one of the most vocal supporters of Net Neutrality.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #116 on: 04 Jan 2018, 01:48 »

New comic's up

That was unexpected... I thought Hanners would be craving support from her friends.
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #117 on: 04 Jan 2018, 01:49 »

Wait... what...? Is this some kind of prank? No, I don't think so; Jeph would have mentioned that in his Twitter feed by now... so..

He's freakin' WRITING HANNERS AND WINSLOW OUT OF THE STRIP!  :-o :cry: Who knows for how long because it looks like Jeph doesn't know that yet!

Wow! Major stuff happening here and I think that this will be a bit of a fandom breaker for some too!

In narrative terms it certainly makes sense; I can see Hannelore being afraid of her own anger and not want to inflict it on her friends but I don't think that this is the right way for her to handle it. Additionally, I am sure that a lot of people will be enormously unhappy and will probably spend most of the day shouting at him (electronically at least) on the subject!

Just another thought: A character running away to parts unknown to get a handle on their personal anger due to family issues...? There is a taste of Batman Begins about this plot device. Will Hannelore come back as a crusading superheroine? :wink:
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #118 on: 04 Jan 2018, 01:50 »

Comic's up!

I felt the shockwaves all over here in Sweden. That must be a huge crater!

Seriously, I did NOT see that coming.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #119 on: 04 Jan 2018, 02:02 »

That definitely was unexpected.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #120 on: 04 Jan 2018, 02:06 »

...is that Faye with the glasses up top?  Because she's not added, but that's not her avatar down below... (I didn't even know Twitter had group chat).

And, um, Faye's coming off... wellll...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #121 on: 04 Jan 2018, 02:12 »

:cry:
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #122 on: 04 Jan 2018, 02:15 »

“gosh guys my mom is such a horrifying rich nightmare person!!!! she thinks she can just use people and that their environments and their feelings aren’t important compared to her needs!!!!!!

time to go travel the world as a rich white tourist and ~*find myself*~”

(Bye. have a beautiful time. don’t come back.)
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Timemaster

• Master of Time
« Reply #123 on: 04 Jan 2018, 02:28 »

@ Dr. ROFLPWN:
Good idea. Don‘t come back.   :x

My soundtrack to this strip: Lorde -Melodrama

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #124 on: 04 Jan 2018, 02:55 »

He's freakin' WRITING HANNERS AND WINSLOW OUT OF THE STRIP!

No he's not - he's sending Hanners for a break - which is not the same - and naturally she's taking Winslow with her.  It's not comparable with, say, Angus, who left to go to a permanent job elsewhere.  That's not to say that she might not be gone for some time (which could be a year or two for us).  Is that any worse than just leaving some characters on the back burner because he's concentrating on others?  I think it's better because it provides a rationale.

I think that this will be a bit of a fandom breaker for some too!

Only for those who like to drive the drama themselves.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #125 on: 04 Jan 2018, 02:57 »

On the other hand, now we can speculate on the adventures of Hanners abroad.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #126 on: 04 Jan 2018, 03:18 »

Is that any worse than just leaving some characters on the back burner because he's concentrating on others?  I think it's better because it provides a rationale.

It's certainly an apples-to-oranges comparison. He's actually specified that there is a new character arc starting for Hannelore and then announcing that it is going to be either off-screen or postponed for months or years IRL.

FWIW, I have also stated in my previous post that I regard the rationale as something Hannelore will regret in time. Personally, I don't think that Hannelore will be able to get the answers she needs away from her friends. Fear of her own dark side (of which she has been terrified for her entire time in the strip) is driving her away right now, not any clear-minded plan going forwards.

Not sure how to react to the new strip, except: 'curcimstances'? Does Dora's phone not have autocomplete?

She's probably disabled it like many millions of other frustrated users have done! :-P
~~~~

Squiddlywinx

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #127 on: 04 Jan 2018, 03:20 »

“gosh guys my mom is such a horrifying rich nightmare person!!!! she thinks she can just use people and that their environments and their feelings aren’t important compared to her needs!!!!!!

Wth?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #128 on: 04 Jan 2018, 03:58 »

Comic's up!
I felt the shockwaves all over here in Sweden. That must be a huge crater!
Seriously, I did NOT see that coming.
I had some weird caching glitch, so I saw the previous day's strip (and thought that Hanners had been taking style tips from Spookybot), and then came here to read the comments, and was totally discombobulated until I refreshed the strip. That was unexpected, since I'd thought Hanners was as much a Jeph-favourite as a fan-favourite.

Is that any worse than just leaving some characters on the back burner because he's concentrating on others?  I think it's better because it provides a rationale.
I agree. It's definitely better than just having Hanners constantly off-camera, like Penelope, for example.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Squiddlywinx

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #129 on: 04 Jan 2018, 03:58 »

So, details.
There're Faye and four others in the group chat. Marten isn't in the head but Tai is. Claire has a profile pic up top but not in the conversation.

blt

« Reply #130 on: 04 Jan 2018, 04:19 »

Claire shouldn't have a profile head up top, because Hanners adds her further down in the chat, like Marten.  As to who the grey head is... ??
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #131 on: 04 Jan 2018, 04:20 »

I believe that the members of the group in the header are, from left to right, Hannelore, Tai, Claire (or possibly Penny) and Dora.
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2018, 04:25 by BenRG »
~~~~

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #132 on: 04 Jan 2018, 04:23 »

There're Faye and four others in the group chat. Marten isn't in the head but Tai is. Claire has a profile pic up top but not in the conversation.

We are reading Faye's Skype (she's just been added), hence her blue bubbles at the bottom.  Claire is in the conversation, but without her profile pic.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

zzyzx

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #133 on: 04 Jan 2018, 04:27 »

You want a character in this arc written out? Fine I'll show you! They're all gone mwah hah hah!

OK probably not the inspiration but that amuses me.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #134 on: 04 Jan 2018, 04:27 »

This doesn't necessarily mean she's out of the strip - her and winslow traveling could be an arc later.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #135 on: 04 Jan 2018, 04:46 »

This doesn't necessarily mean she's out of the strip - her and winslow traveling could be an arc later.
While I very much hope so, without a specified return date in/out of strip, she's been put on a bus indefinitely for now. My guess is that it will be at least a year IRL before Jeph even considers bringing her back. I think this is another step in showing us readers how much this strip has changed over the last years. Marten is in a happy relation with Claire, Dora is living with Tai, Hannelore is out of the strip (for now), Faye is working on robot repair in her own workshop, Pintsize has been reduced to a minimum of appearances. Quite a long way from the original premises where Marten was an indie boy longing for a girlfriend, living together with Faye, and Dora was just the owner of the Café where Faye worked. Removing Hannelore will no doubt give more focus to the newer characters and their interactions. We'll just have to wait and see where Jeph takes us. I would be happy too see the penny that Claire put on Faye's head drop sometime, but I'm equally interested in seeing the future of Clinton's dating life.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #136 on: 04 Jan 2018, 04:50 »

O. O, Fuck.   :-\

...is that Faye with the glasses up top?  Because she's not added, but that's not her avatar down below... (I didn't even know Twitter had group chat).

And, um, Faye's coming off... wellll...

If you're talking the second-left avatar up top. That looks like Tai.

You....you can't POSSIBLY believe that's what Hannelore is doing here or that that's what Jeph is implying. This is a joke right?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #137 on: 04 Jan 2018, 04:58 »

You....you can't POSSIBLY believe that's what Hannelore is doing here or that that's what Jeph is implying. This is a joke right?

Check their posting history; they've a recent pattern of Hanners-hating.
~~~~

Technoir

• Plantmonster
« Reply #138 on: 04 Jan 2018, 05:05 »

Ugh! The Dora usage of "bby" and "bb" is just grating on the senses.   Just didn't feel like something Dora would say AT ALL.

I wonder if writing Hannelore is more taxing than the other members of the cast.  She has a lot of issues, more complexitiy (IMO), etc. Maybe it's Jeph that needs the break from Hanners' story....

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #139 on: 04 Jan 2018, 05:11 »

I can see a trickle of Hanners messages and postcards keeping our main cast up to speed, possible in growing weirdness, until a full out 'lets go get Hanners back' mission is undertaken by several friends. Enter Bubbles in 'no one left behind mode'.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #140 on: 04 Jan 2018, 05:23 »

Wow - That is both extremely unexpected AND a reasonable course of action for Hannelore.

Well played Mr. Jacques.
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #141 on: 04 Jan 2018, 05:31 »

Just when it seemed like everything would be going back to normal. 

I feel a mixture of excitement for Hannelore's character growth, sadness to see her go away for awhile, and schadenfreud after all the jubilation over Tilly's departure yesterday. 

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #142 on: 04 Jan 2018, 06:11 »

Claire shouldn't have a profile head up top, because Hanners adds her further down in the chat, like Marten.  As to who the grey head is... ??

Sven, I would say...

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #143 on: 04 Jan 2018, 06:24 »

Check their posting history; they've a recent pattern of Hanners-hating.

Sweet merciful sh*t. I should not have went down that rabbit hole. Pass the brain bleach, please.  :laugh:

<snip>and schadenfreud after all the jubilation over Tilly's departure yesterday. 

Hey, if Hanners going ghost for a good, long while is the price of cutting dead weight from the comic, it's most certainly more than a fair trade off. lol  :roll:

Now....Jeph, *rubs hands together* about that Baye ship!

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #144 on: 04 Jan 2018, 06:32 »

Poor Winslow. He was just starting out working at the center and finding his place in the physical world as something other than a PDA and becoming an independent entity. All those new relationships just starting and then just being yanked out by the roots. It is as if he had no say in the matter. I notice that he wasn't part of the message group. I wonder if there will be a similar page for him with his circle of friends.

Maybe it is the pessimist in me. Okay it is the pessimist in me.  I have this cloud of doom nagging me that I usually am able to ignore most of the time. This was all to get rid of a number of story branches that needed to be gotten rid of because Jeff didn't feel like going there and had no idea how to get himself out of the corner he wrote himself into. Also a petulant poke in the eye of the fans / anti-fans in the readership. How dare they not like my cute new character. I'll show them. But that is the doom cloud for you. Never a positive spin on anything.  :-\

The whole Tilly arc put me off and had me step away from the strip itself and just haunt the forums. The echos here were more than enough.
Not as bad as the forum meltdown way back, but that had me abandon the place for a long while.

I hope that Jeff can take a few steps back, breath deeply, relax, let it all go and then take a "reasonable" stock of where he and the story is and go from there.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #145 on: 04 Jan 2018, 07:09 »

Global Moderator Comment Remember, we don't attack other posters - we counter their views if we disagree. (If you feel more is required, contact the mods)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #146 on: 04 Jan 2018, 07:10 »

And here I thought the boards would implode again.

Well done, all.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #147 on: 04 Jan 2018, 07:18 »

Unexpected. Interesting tho.

I'm actually sorta sad we wont see more of Winslow at the community center. That looked interesting...

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #148 on: 04 Jan 2018, 08:04 »

Remember, we don't attack other posters - we counter their views if we disagree.  (If you feel more is required, contact the mods)

You're right. I removed my comment. It could have been seen that way.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #149 on: 04 Jan 2018, 08:05 »

Unexpected. Interesting tho.

I'm actually sorta sad we wont see more of Winslow at the community center. That looked interesting...

Yeah, that's a bit unfair. Winslow was starting to find his own thing, here. Hannelore is behaving like an owner, not like a friend.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up