THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 10:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What wsa your favorite story-line of 2017?

The Liberation of Bubbles
- 43 (54.4%)
Beatrice Goes Too Far (Tilly's Introductory Arc)
- 2 (2.5%)
Union Robotics
- 14 (17.7%)
Claire Moves In
- 3 (3.8%)
The Chronicles of Brun
- 9 (11.4%)
The Life Trials of Clinton Augustus
- 6 (7.6%)
Renee - More than Alt-Faye
- 1 (1.3%)
Other (Please specify in contents)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3646-3650 (1st - 5th January 2018)  (Read 49310 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: WCDT Strips 3646-3650 (1st - 5th January 2018)
« Reply #50 on: 02 Jan 2018, 13:55 »

I agree. With Hanners, what you see is what you get. She's practically the poster-girl for it.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #51 on: 02 Jan 2018, 14:15 »

Yep.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure that panel 3 tells us just what Hannelore really thinks of Tilly, even though she is being nice to them because, let's face it, that's who she is.

So, what do you think Hannelore really thinks of Tilly?

Seriously, seriously annoying and, worse, so lacking in self-awareness that they don't realise it unless it is rubbed in their face.

Isn't that what you think of them? :)

No, and I think that Hannelore has shown her views in the comics to date.

I don't think Hanners' feelings about Tilly are purely negative. Obviously she finds Tilly's over-enthusiasm trying, and she hasn't even tried to hide that here.  But if you feel that Hanners' feelings about Tilly are of pure dislike and that she's simply lying about it it to be "nice", then I guess you think less of Hanners than I do. I don't think Hanners would be so dissembling.

She's not 'lying' about anything. She has enough empathy to genuinely feel bad for Tilly and want to help. However, that doesn't change the fact that her view of Tilly as a person is generally negative.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #52 on: 02 Jan 2018, 15:15 »

- ]Hanners and Station are doing it in good faith/sans rationalizations, and
 - John will welcome the help.
- debatable, seems like Hanners is doing it mainly as guilt avoidance
 - how do we know. I imagine Beatrice thought Hanners might like the help too.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #53 on: 02 Jan 2018, 15:47 »

I guess we'll find out soon enough, eh?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #54 on: 02 Jan 2018, 16:24 »

I agree. With Hanners, what you see is what you get. She's practically the poster-girl for it.

Certainly that, and also she cares about people*, however irritating they may be, and wants to help if they are in any sort of trouble.

*ETA: except Juicy, perhaps...
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #55 on: 02 Jan 2018, 16:44 »

"I will do this job even if I barf myself inside out!"

I feel ya, Tilly, unemployment sucks.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #56 on: 02 Jan 2018, 16:46 »

Have to say that the "Annie Lennox tribute look" really suits Hanners.

A lot of dealing with mental health stuff boils down to sorting accurate cognitions about important real-world stuff from ... all the rest that is clamouring for your attention (Once you're past the mortified-because-brain-hates-me stage(s), that is ...)

Even white lying can feel like renting an AWACS for the express purpose of gaslighting radio astronomers - you sort of get the purpose of it (who wouldn't want to mess with radio astronomers?), but when you've spend significant amounts of time and energy learning to weed out all the weird disinformation your brain throws your way, the idea of doing it deliberately can appear ... crazy?  :-\
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2018, 17:08 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #57 on: 02 Jan 2018, 16:53 »

<snip>But if you feel that Hanners' feelings about Tilly are of pure dislike and that she's simply lying about it it to be "nice", then I guess you think less of Hanners than I do. I don't think Hanners would be so dissembling.

Uhhhh...isn't the entire reason this arc has happened because Hannelore was too "nice", on the first day, to forcibly put their foot down and say, "Nope. don't need a PA. Get the f*** away from me.", and yet, instead decided to prolong her own suffering because of Tilly's feelings?

Because there's no way Hanner's thought there was even a 0.000001% that in 48 hours Tilly was gonna change her mind and convince her to make the position permanent.

Baleanopter

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #58 on: 02 Jan 2018, 17:01 »

Is anybody else experiencing the bizarre phenomenon where the more you see people complaining about Tilly on the forums, the more you actually like them?
Seriously, I never got where the bile came from to begin with. The more they vent of it, the more I like the intensely determined to be a paragon of competence little bespectacled genderless person.
"Awoouuu   woooouuu." Thus spake The Great Whale.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #59 on: 02 Jan 2018, 17:17 »

<snip>But if you feel that Hanners' feelings about Tilly are of pure dislike and that she's simply lying about it it to be "nice", then I guess you think less of Hanners than I do. I don't think Hanners would be so dissembling.

Uhhhh...isn't the entire reason this arc has happened because Hannelore was too "nice", on the first day, to forcibly put their foot down and say, "Nope. don't need a PA. Get the f*** away from me.", and yet, instead decided to prolong her own suffering because of Tilly's feelings?

Specifically, because Hanners failed to properly establish her boundaries. Something Dora, thankfully, encouraged her to do later on.

Failure to establish boundaries is not "being nice."
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #60 on: 02 Jan 2018, 17:28 »

"If We Don't Own You Yet... We Will!"
 - Motto of Ellicott-Chatham Enterprises

At least they're honest about it...

That slogan is sure to make the company so popular!
Makes them sound like bitter rivals with Disney.

Anybody know a good anti-trust/anti-monopoly prosecutor?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #61 on: 02 Jan 2018, 17:45 »

Yes, I can recommend an outstanding organisation. They were "Law Firm of the Year" in Antitrust Law just last year.

Jackson, Monk, and Rowe.
An Ellicott-Chatham Enterprises Company.

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #62 on: 02 Jan 2018, 19:06 »

Specifically, because Hanners failed to properly establish her boundaries. Something Dora, thankfully, encouraged her to do later on.

Failure to establish boundaries is not "being nice."

Riiight. And after "establishing boundaries" instead of making Tilly leave right then and there, they let them have the 48 hours, for no other reason, than to be nice. Because, as I said, there's no way Hanner's thought there was even a 0.000001% that she was going to change her mind about keeping a PA around long term.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #63 on: 02 Jan 2018, 19:07 »

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #64 on: 02 Jan 2018, 19:33 »

However much tea you spill on Tilly, you can't short them out.

"I will do this job even if I barf myself inside out!" ... Pictures?

More bonus points to Hannelore for making an appropriate personnel decision.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #65 on: 02 Jan 2018, 20:45 »

- ]Hanners and Station are doing it in good faith/sans rationalizations, and
 - John will welcome the help.
- debatable, seems like Hanners is doing it mainly as guilt avoidance
 - how do we know. I imagine Beatrice thought Hanners might like the help too.

Main difference here: Station and various drones are already doing the job that they plan to give Tilly, rather than trying to invent one for them.  It's not going well and Station would welcome the help.  With Hanners, she was doing everything Tilly would have done for her on her own and it was working just fine.

If it makes you more comfortable, think of it this way: while, nominally, Tilly is John Ellicott-Chatham's personal assistant and their duties are typically things described with that job description, they are being hired by Station, who has chosen to subcontract one of his many job titles on the station.  Both Station and Hanners know John well enough to believe that he won't care who's doing the job as long as the job gets done - and they both actually *do* know him, rather than making assumptions based on what they think John is like.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2018, 21:41 by Penquin47 »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #66 on: 02 Jan 2018, 21:11 »

Folks, I dislike Tilly as much as the next person, but can we tone down the level of vitriol that seems to be coming from some corners of the forum? We get it, people don’t like them, it’s been said enough times elsewhere that we don’t really need to repeat it here. And as it seems, Tilly is being put on the Space Bus to a better life elsewhere, so how about people retain some dignity and calm down.

Don’t make me become Captain Reasonable. No one wants that!

Perfectly Reasonable

« Reply #67 on: 02 Jan 2018, 21:40 »

Wait, what?

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #68 on: 02 Jan 2018, 22:27 »

I dunno:  I find Tilly pretty amusing, but that may be just because ever since I found out Tilly's dad has been trying to get corporate espionage done, I've been imagining a spinoff comic where Tilly is attached as a personal assistant to Tortura in wacky hijinks that take them inside the base complexes of evil supervillains, where the guards carry uzis and the corporate limos are mostly armored vehicles....

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #69 on: 02 Jan 2018, 22:42 »

Folks, I dislike Tilly as much as the next person, but can we tone down the level of vitriol that seems to be coming from some corners of the forum? We get it, people don’t like them, it’s been said enough times elsewhere that we don’t really need to repeat it here. And as it seems, Tilly is being put on the Space Bus to a better life elsewhere, so how about people retain some dignity and calm down.

Well, if today's[Tuesday] comic was about say, Union Robotics, and clearly the beginning of a new arc, and people were still talking about their like/dislike of Tilly, I'd wholeheartedly agree with you. But to say, people can't, discuss a character that is central to a, now, three-four week arc is just unfair. And I am, definitely, not just pointing this at you Castle, I just keep seeing these, "well, if you didn't come here to say how much you love Tilly, don't post about them at all" takes* and it's irritating because unless they violate the forum rules or the Creator's and mod's stated wishes**, people should be free to express their dislike of a character for as long as that character is central to the current plot line without getting shut down with "well, you're being negative, so, shut up!" responses.

*And yes, that is what's happening because no one's calling for the people who like Tilly to stop expressing their views, it's only on those who dislike them to keep their opinions to themselves...

**And yes, I'll admit that certain people have used a dislike of Tilly to be disgustingly disrespectful towards the LGBT+ community and those people have rightly been shut down by the community and dealt with by the moderators and are currently, hopefully, rotting somewhere.

Again, not an attack on you Castle, I just happen to disagree.

Perfectly Reasonable

« Reply #70 on: 02 Jan 2018, 23:16 »

I'd say that's reasonable.

The current strip underlines what another commentator has said about Hannelore's respect towards others.
I'm too lazy to look Whoever up, but you get a pat on the back from me.

... Or it could just be that without the drag of a three month buffer, Jeph is freer to trim his sails according to the prevailing wind.

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #71 on: 02 Jan 2018, 23:36 »

*And yes, that is what's happening because no one's calling for the people who like Tilly to stop expressing their views, it's only on those who dislike them to keep their opinions to themselves...

I've seen very few people posting that they like Tilly. And I suspect that those that do mostly don't post about it because of the overwhelming negativity.

I think that people should be free to "express their dislike of a character," but is it too much to ask that they come up with something original? There's just a lot of people repeating the same thing over and over and nobody adding anything new to the discussion. So if you want to express your dislike, give us a reason and a thoughtful discussion, but stop being negative for the purpose of being negative.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #72 on: 03 Jan 2018, 01:33 »

New Comic Up
Questionable Content, ladies and gentlemen. In this strip, unpopular characters aren't put on a bus, they're put on a spaceship!

For me, what this arc has communicated is how fundamentally nice Hannelore is, how hard it is to push her to not be nice and, perhaps, we are reminded of just how totally unhealthy her family connections are. In so many ways, the first time she's had a real support structure is after she was able to open a communication with Marten and Faye.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #73 on: 03 Jan 2018, 02:11 »

I've seen very few people posting that they like Tilly.

Okay, so since you (kind of) asked.

Tilly reminds me a teensy bit of my new kitten.

A bit clumsy and overeager, and needs to be taught boundaries, but quite adorable regardless.

I just keep seeing these, "well, if you didn't come here to say how much you love Tilly, don't post about them at all" takes* and it's irritating because unless they violate the forum rules or the Creator's and mod's stated wishes**, people should be free to express their dislike of a character for as long as that character is central to the current plot line without getting shut down with "well, you're being negative, so, shut up!" responses.

I don't think anyone should have to stop posting just because they dislike a character or plot arc. Please do feel free to state your opinion. That's why we're all here, obviously.

I do feel, and have previously posted, that the same negative and vitriolic post made repetitively does drag the forum down and reduce enjoyment for the rest of us. Just turn the volume dial down below 11. That's all my previous posts on the topic have tried to say.

oddtail

« Reply #74 on: 03 Jan 2018, 02:18 »

I do feel, and have previously posted, that the same negative and vitriolic post made repetitively does drag the forum down and reduce enjoyment for the rest of us. Just turn the volume dial down below 11. That's all my previous posts on the topic have tried to say.

I very much share this sentiment, and I don't like Tilly.

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #75 on: 03 Jan 2018, 02:35 »

For me, what this arc has communicated is how fundamentally nice Hannelore is, how hard it is to push her to not be nice and, perhaps, we are reminded of just how totally unhealthy her family connections are. In so many ways, the first time she's had a real support structure is after she was able to open a communication with Marten and Faye.

And she's HUGGING somebody. I know she did it just a few strips ago, but that was heat of the moment.

Are we sure that this is still Hanners and she hasn't been replaced by an AI with a very detailed chassis?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #76 on: 03 Jan 2018, 03:06 »

And she's HUGGING somebody. I know she did it just a few strips ago, but that was heat of the moment.

Are we sure that this is still Hanners and she hasn't been replaced by an AI with a very detailed chassis?

Extraordinary, isn't it?

I think there is a bond there. Perhaps because they have both been mistreated by Beatrice?

Hanners certainly does not hug anyone just to be nice.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #77 on: 03 Jan 2018, 03:10 »

Surprised to see Tilly being shot into space with quite such rapidity, not even a change of clothes. I had thought that the nearly-empty shuttle that escorted Hannelore and friends to space for the birthday party was a privilege for the daughter of the boss. But it turns out they'll burn that much resources on just about anything.

Anyway, I won't pretend I'm not glad to see Tilly go, but I'm sure she'll do great up there. Hopefully we won't have an incoming angry call from Dr. Ellicott to be greeted by Hanners cheerful "Yes, isn't it wonderful?!"

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #78 on: 03 Jan 2018, 03:25 »

Oh, one last thing, just because no-one else has yet said it.

I was happy to see Tilly, in the end, drop the formality and address her their new friend Hannelore by her name.

Edit: argh sorry
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2018, 04:24 by Tova »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #79 on: 03 Jan 2018, 04:21 »

Well, if today's[Tuesday] comic was about say, Union Robotics, and clearly the beginning of a new arc, and people were still talking about their like/dislike of Tilly, I'd wholeheartedly agree with you. But to say, people can't, discuss a character that is central to a, now, three-four week arc is just unfair. And I am, definitely, not just pointing this at you Castle, I just keep seeing these, "well, if you didn't come here to say how much you love Tilly, don't post about them at all" takes* and it's irritating because unless they violate the forum rules or the Creator's and mod's stated wishes**, people should be free to express their dislike of a character for as long as that character is central to the current plot line without getting shut down with "well, you're being negative, so, shut up!" responses.

**And yes, I'll admit that certain people have used a dislike of Tilly to be disgustingly disrespectful towards the LGBT+ community and those people have rightly been shut down by the community and dealt with by the moderators and are currently, hopefully, rotting somewhere.

Again, not an attack on you Castle, I just happen to disagree.

The thing is; there's discussing a character, there's beating a dead horse and then there's beating the body into a fine red paste on the ground.

Guess where the Tilly-dislike is veering into?

Discussing a character is fine, but when you're at the end of the arc of a story and seeing the kind of comments that have been popping up, its just a little grating to go through the same rigmarole week after week after painful week.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #80 on: 03 Jan 2018, 05:04 »

Ahhh.....

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #81 on: 03 Jan 2018, 05:18 »

I have to say, I'm a little bemused by the level of anti-Tilly feeling. I mean, she's annoying, but she's not THAT horrible.

But then, I haven't been here for a while.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #82 on: 03 Jan 2018, 05:23 »

This story arc is taking forever. Climb in that rocket already, Dummy! Chop chop!

That excruciating slow pace is really starting to trample on my nerves...

Might I suggest a few comics to binge on in the meantime?

Supernormal Step:  modern fantasy, mostly serious with some comedy, some world hopping
Miamaska: sci-fi, teenager finds herself in an alternate dimension, bigger plot slowly unfolds)
Skin Horse: fantasy sci-fi comedy w/ some serious moments; follow a team of shadow government social workers. Team consists of Canadian super soldier dog, failed super soldier patch-work zombie, token human psychologist who's a former Green Berret and crossdresser.

EDIT: herp derp. Forgot one.
The Monster Under The Bed: modern fantasy with some NSFW. A bit of a role reversed  'beauty and the beast' sort of story, but more complicated and with 100% less incest (read the original version).
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2018, 05:49 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #83 on: 03 Jan 2018, 05:36 »

Wow - Hannelore hugging someone again??
Very few have successfully hugged Hannelore without hyperventilation as a result.
As far as I can remember, no-one has hugged her twice...

Is Tilly the irritating grain of sand that enabled Oyster-Hannelore to start creating a pearl?

In other words, is Hannelore finally coming out of her shell?  :-P
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #84 on: 03 Jan 2018, 05:39 »

I very much share this sentiment, and I don't like Tilly.

Thirded, both of 'em. And no, I don't feel especially positive or trusting about Tilly either.
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #85 on: 03 Jan 2018, 05:46 »

Does anyone else find the amount of physical affection coming from Hanners sort of jarring? I mean there's heat of the moment, there's character progression, but I just find it odd we've seen so much of a jump to hugging Tilly 3 times in about as many strips.

Like I understand Tilly is the super special author fave right now, but when hugging her dad was such a big deal, and the closest thing from one of her oldest friends was this only ~100 strips ago, I have to raise my eyebrows.

And,

(click to show/hide)
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #86 on: 03 Jan 2018, 06:32 »

Does anyone else find the amount of physical affection coming from Hanners sort of jarring? I mean there's heat of the moment, there's character progression, but I just find it odd we've seen so much of a jump to hugging Tilly 3 times in about as many strips.

Like I understand Tilly is the super special author fave right now, but when hugging her dad was such a big deal, and the closest thing from one of her oldest friends was this only ~100 strips ago, I have to raise my eyebrows.

Dunno - I've experienced OCD, but my intrusive thoughts didn't revolve around contamination/purity (*). Also, I'm no mental health expert, just one guy who knows more than he ever wanted to know about one manifestation of OCD in one particular brain.

That being said: No, in my experience, OCD doesn't go into remission from one week to the next - but what can absolutely happen is that some day, you find yourself noticing your support network avoiding Bad ThingTM before you noticed the presence of Bad ThingTM, and you catch yourself being 'eerily chill' about it. That's what "healing" felt like to me. That you start 'forgetting to freak out where you are supposed to'.

New meds can have that effect - I've pictured the onset of an SNRI becoming effective in my system as sensing that my 'mechanism' (**) was trying to go into high gear, but couldn't summon enough fear-fuel from my mind to start the tail-spin. Felt like it was screaming abuse at the "ignition" but the motor just wouldn't start. I literally talked to it once: "Mornin' 'lil fella. I don't seem to be able to be sufficiently freaked out for the horror-ramjet to start spooling up. SorryNotSorry ... "; and I swear this oppressive monster I'd lived with for so long just looked a little sheepish and small and stupid and then pissed off to the afterlife for anthropomorphised malicious malcognitions.

Furthermore, there's a difference between Hanners actually experiencing an episode of 'Brainlock' and her friends trying to be sensitive about inadvertently contributing to her experiencing one (I hate the word 'triggering' - it suggests an entirely wrong picture about how OCD 'works'.)

Edit: As Welu points out below, OCD is a mental illness - it's not about following rules, it's about breaking them, or the system of rules breaking down. It's not a function, it's a dysfunction, a tiny error in one program's .dll that sometimes, when certain parameters coincide in just the 'right' way, causes the program to stop doing what it was supposed to do. It's rational to expect the program to follow rules, because it has a 'design-purpose' (Nope, this is not an argument for ID). It's not rational to expect the same from the subtle error in the program that causes the wet-ware equivalent of a BSOD - or to expect the BSOD itself to follow rules. Because that's what OCD is: A BSOD when there was no reason to BSOD. Trying to 'make sense' of your OCD is about as productive as discussing metaphysics with a warning light on your car's dashboard - which is part of what the four-steps method of CBH is about: To stop discussing with the warning light that shouldn't be going off, and to start realising that it's really just a false positive you're trying to haggle with.

(*) Guess we have to thank Howard Hughes for the cliche that OCD is always about germs - actually there's many people for whom it isn't and contamination/purity is merely one of at least ten meta-classes of intrusive thoughts. Intrusive thoughts cover the entire range of the human cognitive spectrum (which is why I'm no fan of trigger-warnings for OCDers - unless you're prepared to cease interacting with us at all for our own good, it's not possible to avoid triggering one of us (especially not for a mind as wonderfully inexperienced with scary absurdities as yours - you have no idea how deep that rabbit hole goes, Alice ...). A strategy that would, incidentally, trigger a lot of us, and add to the social isolation the illness often breeds). OCD is about part of your brains' OS' task-manager, the caudate nucleus, going TILT!, and it seems to be especially nervous about scary things. Illness is a scary thing - put another way: OCD has probably been around as long as there's been Homo Sapiens, but intrusive thoughts about germs likely do not predate Louis Pasteur ...

(**) I call the intrusive thoughts as a whole 'mechanism', because, in contrast to normal, organic thought-processes, they feel that way. Like an arcane mechanism that latches onto minute fears and excretes paralysis. There's no sense of origin, no purpose to what that machine does, and it doesn't really care which specific fear it turns into a debilitating monstrosity. The themes of intrusive thoughts can also change in sufferers - I've gone through at least two meta-classes of intrusive thoughts in my lifetime. The thoughts vary, even the themes that the thoughts revolve around can change over time, but the 'mechanism' doesn't. When I was younger, I felt like my OCD was always one step ahead of me because it seemed to be so astonishingly creative at finding ever new rationales for doubting again and again - especially doubting the debunk of an intrusive thought, and then the debunk about the intrusive thought about the debunk of the ... - but later on, I realized that every bit of 'creativity' was actually just my brain trying to make sense out of an absurd situation: OCD isn't even the mental equivalent of a virus (and virii are remarkably stupid things). OCD is, in essence, a faulty warning-light going off when your brain knows it shouldn't - that's what causes the fear, not the thought's content: the conflicting messages and your mind knowing that the conflict is happening at a very, very basic level of your cognitive architecture, something that it doesn't feel chill about at all.
 It's the postman obsessing about a missing stamp on the letter they reluctantly hand to you because they have to admit there's no reason not to on the one hand, but on the other "it's just that there has to be order ...". It's a relentlessly shouted "BUT WHAT IF ... ?" that doesn't even have enough processing power to come up with a specific "what if?" to freak out about - it's hardly even a proper thought to begin with, not even an emotion; it needs the rest of your brain to provide a narrative for the fear. It's merely a false positive that happens to happen in a sensitive department of your brain - false positives are rarely awarded Noble prizes for literature. After a while, you notice it's always the same steps, again and again and again - looking back, I think I might have noticed how mind-numbingly boring this illness is, had I not been so freaked out at the time.

OCD is, at it's core, the "and then?"-question from "Dude, where's my car?". Not the racially stereotyped drive-in, not even the (supposedly) immigrant labourer who asks the question - out of lack of ESL-skills or just for the hell of it - it's just the question "and then?". That's all it ever does, regardless of circumstances or what you do in response; that's all it 'knows' how to do. It's a processing error, not a function. 'Knowing how to' do things is not something it excels at. It would be pitiful or aggravating rather than fearsome ... if it weren't for the fact that you can't simply flee the drive-in in horror and rage because it's in your head, 24/7/365 ...

« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2018, 15:19 by Case »

Absimilliard

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #87 on: 03 Jan 2018, 06:50 »

That's a pretty good ending to the story arch (and far far better than many of us feared). While I disliked the guest character, I did like Hanner's development, it will be interesting to see how this will affect her going forward.

Ahhh.....

Agreed.

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #88 on: 03 Jan 2018, 06:52 »

This story arc is taking forever. Climb in that rocket already, Dummy! Chop chop!

[snip]

I'm sorry, but isn't that just a more polite form of exactly what mercykills meant with

[...] people should be free to express their dislike of a character for as long as that character is central to the current plot line without getting shut down with "well, you're being negative, so, shut up!" responses.

?

tomveil

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #89 on: 03 Jan 2018, 06:59 »

Ahhh.....

Tilly reminds me a bit more of this Simpsons clip:

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #90 on: 03 Jan 2018, 07:03 »

Awww.

Now I'm hoping there's no plot twist like Tilly phoning their dad and/or Bea and going "Just as planned...."

lawoot

• Plantmonster
« Reply #91 on: 03 Jan 2018, 07:08 »

After all this Tilly hugging, Hanners better be hugging Marten and Company soon!  :-D

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #92 on: 03 Jan 2018, 07:35 »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #93 on: 03 Jan 2018, 08:06 »

[snip]

I'm sorry, but isn't that just a more polite form of exactly what mercykills meant with

[...] people should be free to express their dislike of a character for as long as that character is central to the current plot line without getting shut down with "well, you're being negative, so, shut up!" responses.

?

...no?

That post didn't try to shut anyone down. They were trying to help.

"You're bored because you don't have enough to read? Here are some things you might enjoy in the meantime!" is in no way "You're being negative, stop posting about it."

Seriously, wtf.

Regarding comic: I think it's the hair, Hanners has been inordinately okay with personal contact since putting the hair up. It is the Style of Overcoming Obstacles. Tremble before its power.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #94 on: 03 Jan 2018, 08:27 »

Global Moderator Comment I think the discussion about the discussion of a character who is (it seems) leaving has gone on for quite long enough. Please just let it go now; nothing new has been said for a while.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LilShortstuf

• Not quite a lurker
  • Shenanigans
« Reply #95 on: 03 Jan 2018, 08:36 »

And,

(click to show/hide)

After all this Tilly hugging, Hanners better be hugging Marten and Company soon!  :-D

I recently been rereading the entire comic via use of the random link and I believe the first time Hannelore hugs someone is Marten right after she gets a job at CoD in this comic

The next hug, I believe, is given to her dad about 400 strips later here

So I think her hugging of Tilly isn't just because they seem to be Jeph's favorite right now. I think the hugs at ECI are heat of the moment emotional hugs. This one truly is because, in my opinion, while Hannelore finds Tilly to be a bit much and overeager, she does care about them as a human and wants them to be treated as one which Beatrice didn't do. As for why Claire and Marten didn't hug her when she was having her freak out and instead used the throw pillows, I think that is because she was already freaking out and hugging wouldn't have helped the situation. I think Hannelore is at a point where she is OK with hugging people she cares about but needs to be in a calm state of mind to do it and needs to be the initiator.

EDIT: This is my first real experience using gender neutral pronouns, and I tried my best. Please let me know if I messed up so I can fix it.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #96 on: 03 Jan 2018, 08:51 »

You did good with the pronouns.

Hannelore also hugged Sven after their pretend-date.

It's important to remember progress with mental health isn't linear. Being able to hug someone in one circumstance doesn't mean Hannelore can hug everyone without issue from now on, or she should or will be okay with a certain circumstance based on previous moments. She's come very far but unfortunately mental illness is very messy and complicated.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #97 on: 03 Jan 2018, 09:16 »

Ahhh.....

Tilly reminds me a bit more of this Simpsons clip:

Yeeahhh...
I didn't wanna tempt fate* though.

*Jeph
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #98 on: 03 Jan 2018, 09:36 »

Awww.

Now I'm hoping there's no plot twist like Tilly phoning their dad and/or Bea and going "Just as planned...."
Could be, could very well be, or some variation thereof.  There's been no mention of Tilly's security clearance - that suggests Captain* Potter will come back into the picture and there's no telling what she'll uncover.  The story may be going back into orbit.

*She must have been promoted by now.  That or she was passed over too many times and has been transferred back to the surface.

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #99 on: 03 Jan 2018, 09:55 »

Could be, could very well be, or some variation thereof.  There's been no mention of Tilly's security clearance - that suggests Captain* Potter will come back into the picture and there's no telling what she'll uncover.  The story may be going back into orbit.

I kid you not, my first thought was: 'What does Harry Potter have do to with anything??!'
Then I read the sentence again and went: 'Oh...  :facepalm: '
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up