Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Why is Amanda Here?

Like Hannelore, she's travelling on a sort of personal spirit quest
- 1 (2.4%)
She's enrolled in the Dance and Performance Arts course at Smif
- 4 (9.5%)
After, like, a year, she's finally checked her mother's messages and found out about Faye's post-Angus breakdown
- 8 (19%)
She's marrying her girlfriend and wants Faye to participate in the ceremony
- 14 (33.3%)
She is curious about Faye's Northhamton friends and has decided to vacation in the town
- 6 (14.3%)
She literally missed Tilly by a couple of days and will have to wait longer still to return their $10
- 2 (4.8%)
Something told her that there was a barista gig open in Northhampton
- 0 (0%)
Unbeknown to all, she is someone's pen friend and they have agreed to meet up
- 1 (2.4%)
Hannelore's old apartment has been put up for a new tenant and she is interested.
- 1 (2.4%)
Other (please specify in a comment)
- 5 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3650-3655 (8th to 12th January 2018)  (Read 23404 times)

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
Re: WCDT Strips 3650-3655 (8th to 12th January 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 11 Jan 2018, 23:46 »

Faye isn't doing anything to encourage it. Literally all she did here is tell them her name.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #101 on: 12 Jan 2018, 00:21 »

I think that I know how next week will go now. Or at least I'm confident that I know what theme the next week or two will follow. Here's a basic summary of how Jeph could write it:

On Monday, Faye is going to respond to Amanda and Evie's awed reaction to Bubbles in her usual flirty way: "She's somethin' ain't she? I wish I'd had a butt that good designed for me!" or something like that. The visitors will jump to a conclusion and Amanda will demand to know why Faye hadn't told her she had a girlfriend after being all upset about not knowing about Evie. Faye and Bubbles will demur immediately; they're just best friends, not SOs. Then, in the last panel, they'll both say or do something very flirty and, in the foreground, Amanda and Evie will smirk at each other.

Tuesday and Wednesday will be conversations between Faye and Amanda and/or Evie and Bubbles. Both strips will end with something teasing or flirty being passed between Bubbles and Faye. Thursday will be Amanda telling off Faye for 'stringing along' Bubbles and Evie asking Bubbles why she's trying to hide her feelings.

Friday will be Evie and Amanda heading off for the dissertation delivery at Smif, possibly with a hint being given of where they're meeting up with Faye afterwards for dinner. As they leave, both visitors say: "Tell her!"

The final panel will be Faye and Bubbles, both blushing, looking at each other sidelong. "Do you know what that was about?" Faye asks.

"I... er... no; no idea," is Bubbles' response.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2018, 03:10 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #102 on: 12 Jan 2018, 00:58 »

It's on.

Also: Bubbles is really cute in today's comic.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2018, 02:39 by traroth »
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #103 on: 12 Jan 2018, 03:24 »

It's things like the slightly smaller "oh hello" that cement Bubbles as my favourite character.

In case I didn't already make it obvious. :)
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
Re: WCDT Strips 3650-3651 (8th to 12th January 2018)
« Reply #104 on: 12 Jan 2018, 03:50 »

Faye, did you forewarn Amanda and Evie about your business partner being a 'soldier robot' in order to prevent them ogling and staring? Because you might have wanted to reinforce the second part of that message a little harder.

This is absolutely the start of an arc that gets Faye to ask Bubbles out isn't it? Like it just is.

What, Faye directly demonstrating that she doesn't even contemplate the idea of a female partner as a remote possibility?

No, just that she's only been dismissing the idea of male ones. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence and all that.

Given that I mostly hear that logical argument used to justify reenactors dressing up in outlandishly inauthentic kit, I don't give it a lot of credence.

In general, I find speculation about Faye and Bubbles to be perfectly reasonable given various hints and teases in the comic, but I'm also keen to respect Faye's sexual identity and orientation as she has always presented it so far. Your prediction is quite possibly not far off the mark; I just see it leading to more of a 'conversation' than an 'asking out'.

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #105 on: 12 Jan 2018, 04:02 »

Also: Bubbles is really cute in today's comic.

Yes.
Yes, she is.

However, did anyone else notice that Bubbles head seems to lack fully formed ears?
Given the amount of detail all the human ears we see in the last panel are drawn with, this seems intentional.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #106 on: 12 Jan 2018, 04:04 »

However, did anyone else notice that Bubbles head seems to lack fully formed ears?

All anthromimetic chassis have similar ears; its one of the ways Jeph differentiates android chassis from humans.
~~~~

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #107 on: 12 Jan 2018, 04:10 »

All anthromimetic chassis have similar ears; its one of the ways Jeph differentiates android chassis from humans.

You're right. I never noticed this...

Jakk Frost

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #108 on: 12 Jan 2018, 04:19 »

Re yesterday's strip:

"yo I have been flirting with you for months do you wanna fuck/make love or not"

Cue ongoing sexual harassment and potential rape charges, in today's climate.  Perseverance and "wearing her down" is no longer considered acceptable behavior.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #109 on: 12 Jan 2018, 05:24 »

Re yesterday's strip:

"yo I have been flirting with you for months do you wanna fuck/make love or not"

Cue ongoing sexual harassment and potential rape charges, in today's climate.  Perseverance and "wearing her down" is no longer considered acceptable behavior.

It depends if Amanda was flirting back or, on the contrary, expressed that she wasn't interested (or worse, scared, disgusted, angered...), or even simply lacked to express interest.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2018, 06:02 by traroth »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #110 on: 12 Jan 2018, 05:30 »

Large and made of steel? And will blow you away.

Dynamite with a laser beam. Guaranteed to blow your mind, anytime.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #111 on: 12 Jan 2018, 06:11 »

Large and made of steel? And will blow you away.
Dynamite with a laser beam. Guaranteed to blow your mind, anytime.
Recommended at the price. Insatiable an appetite. Want to try?
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #112 on: 12 Jan 2018, 07:01 »

Now I'm REALLY looking forward to next week. :D

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #113 on: 12 Jan 2018, 07:42 »

It's rude to stare...

TheEvilDog

« Reply #114 on: 12 Jan 2018, 08:02 »

I wonder though, will this necessarily lead to the development of Bubbles and Faye's relationship that people want, or will it lead to a defining of where they stand? Like Bubbles confessing how she feels about Faye, only to be gently let down by Faye who tells her that she cares about Bubbles as a friend, but she isn't ready for that kind of relationship.

Really I'm just wanting to warn people about getting their hopes too high, the last arc has pretty much shown that people should be careful what they wish for.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #115 on: 12 Jan 2018, 08:17 »

I wonder though, will this necessarily lead to the development of Bubbles and Faye's relationship that people want, or will it lead to a defining of where they stand? Like Bubbles confessing how she feels about Faye, only to be gently let down by Faye who tells her that she cares about Bubbles as a friend, but she isn't ready for that kind of relationship.

Really I'm just wanting to warn people about getting their hopes too high, the last arc has pretty much shown that people should be careful what they wish for.

At least we would have some kind of closure.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #116 on: 12 Jan 2018, 08:21 »

When May first met Bubbles Faye gave May crap for objecrifying Bubbles and particularly her bottom. Now Faye encourages every female who meets Bubble to do it and now Bubbles is written as enjoying it. Can't decide if it hypocrisy or just expediency on behalf of the author to establish Bubbles as a sexual being.

I can't see where Faye is encouraging anything, here...

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #117 on: 12 Jan 2018, 09:32 »

When May first met Bubbles Faye gave May crap for objecrifying Bubbles and particularly her bottom. Now Faye encourages every female who meets Bubble to do it and now Bubbles is written as enjoying it. Can't decide if it hypocrisy or just expediency on behalf of the author to establish Bubbles as a sexual being.

I can't see where Faye is encouraging anything, here...

Not just is Faye doing no encouraging at all as far as I can see, I also don't see any objectification by Evie and Amanda....Unless you find saying somebody is a "badass lady" objectification. Personally I don't.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #118 on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:34 »

It depends if Amanda was flirting back or, on the contrary, expressed that she wasn't interested (or worse, scared, disgusted, angered...), or even simply lacked to express interest.

Amanda was the one flirting, Evie would be the one to flirt back or not, in this context.

Also: Jakk? No.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #119 on: 12 Jan 2018, 13:05 »

I hope Jeph keeps Bubbles's current hairstyle - she suits a ponytail :)

Wagimawr

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Facebook
« Reply #120 on: 12 Jan 2018, 15:10 »

real talk

Punchbot's arm is what???

JEPH HOW COULD YOU

now that's a cliffhanger

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #121 on: 12 Jan 2018, 17:17 »

If anyone is smitten with Bubbles, it's Evie - she's gone all shiny-anime-eyes!   :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Lana

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #122 on: 12 Jan 2018, 20:43 »

Are my eyes/web browser messing with me, or has anyone else noticed a serious drop in image resolution the last few days? The "current" comic is fine on any given day upon first load, but when I hit the previous buttons, or try to arbitrarily load a random page, the comic is slightly smaller, and blurrier.  Even returning to the "current" page, the comic is low-res?

Compare http://www.questionablecontent.net/ vs http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3655 Screenshots below the spoiler to save space....

(click to show/hide)

I know this isn't a discussion of the current comic per se, but I've just noticed it this week? Has Jeph made any reference to this?

P.S., I'm not new, just an inveterate lurker.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #123 on: 12 Jan 2018, 20:58 »

I don't notice any particular difference on my computer, but it could be your web browser scaling the image weirdly. The archive page has a different image size set compared to the main page.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #124 on: 13 Jan 2018, 00:01 »

It's definitely rendering smaller, although if you open the image, the image itself is full resolution.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #125 on: 13 Jan 2018, 04:13 »

Didn't Jeph make a comment about it being a bit weird switching back to his usual drawing device/program from the one(s) he used when he was traveling?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #126 on: 14 Jan 2018, 23:11 »

Poll Result Post
Why is Amanda Here?

1. She's marrying her girlfriend and wants Faye to participate in the ceremony - 14 (33.3%)
2. After, like, a year, she's finally checked her mother's messages and found out about Faye's post-Angus breakdown - 8 (19%)
3. She is curious about Faye's Northhamton friends and has decided to vacation in the town - 6 (14.3%)
4. Other (please specify in a comment) - 5 (11.9%)
5. She's enrolled in the Dance and Performance Arts course at Smif - 4 (9.5%)
6. Like Hannelore, she's travelling on a sort of personal spirit quest - 1 (2.4%)
7. She literally missed Tilly by a couple of days and will have to wait longer still to return their $10 - 2 (4.8%)
=8. Unbeknown to all, she is someone's pen friend and they have agreed to meet up - 1 (2.4%)
=8. Hannelore's old apartment has been put up for a new tenant and she is interested. - 1 (2.4%)
x. Xomething told her that there was a barista gig open in Northhampton - 0 (0%)

Well, that was an interesting result. I'm not even slightly surprised to see that we're a bunch of romantics on this board - The majority want a new wedding arc, it seems! I also think I get why no-one went for the 'barista' option. Coffee of Doom has become something of a storehouse for characters when you think about it. A new/recurring character turns up and ends up working at CoD or at least spends an inordinate amount of time there does seem a bit over-done.
~~~~

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up