Marten and Claire go on a formal date
- 4 (4.4%)
Faye wakes up after having some curious dreams about Bubbles
- 12 (13.3%)
Health inspection time at Coffee of Doom - Bureacratic hijinx ensue
- 6 (6.7%)
May and Momo talk morality, ethics and being a good person
- 3 (3.3%)
The Bean family holiday; can Veronica hack it as a stepmom for a teenage Sam?
- 5 (5.6%)
Brun decides that it is time to hook up Renee and Elliot
- 2 (2.2%)
Other (please specify in a comment)
- 3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3711 to 3715 (2nd-6th April 2018)  (Read 33542 times)

Bollthorn

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: WCDT strips 3711 to 3715 (2nd-6th April 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 04 Apr 2018, 10:03 »

"Why were you baking cookies at 1am?"

Is there such a thing as a bad time to bake cookies? ;)
"Oh Eddie... Why are you an alcoholic?"

"... Because I drink a lot."

TheEvilDog

« Reply #101 on: 04 Apr 2018, 10:18 »

When the house is burning.
When you're drowning.
When you're being mauled by a grizzly bear.
When you're in a business meeting.
When you already have cookies and have forgotten you've already made them.
When you nil past mouth.

Note that those are the only times its a bad time to bake cookies.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #102 on: 04 Apr 2018, 10:29 »

When the house is burning.
When you're drowning.
When you're being mauled by a grizzly bear.
When you're in a business meeting.
When you nil past mouth.

Note that those are the only times its a bad time to bake cookies.

Disagree.  Add: when you've already started mixing ingredients only to realize you don't have a key one.
Source: personal experience.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #103 on: 04 Apr 2018, 10:44 »

how did she know to open the door when Clinton was still at least ten feet away from the doorbell? 
Phone call/text message? If Clinton has learned from past experience he'd message first...

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #104 on: 04 Apr 2018, 11:14 »

Disagree.  Add: when you've already started mixing ingredients only to realize you don't have a key one.
Then it's pancake/waffle/omelette/cookie batter eating (also for humans)?

rtmq0227

« Reply #105 on: 04 Apr 2018, 12:27 »

A trick my friend used to do was to keep a batch of cookie dough on hand in case of guests, and could act like they just so happened to be baking cookies right then so it wouldn't seem like a bother and still get fresh baked cookies.  I wonder if Ms. A knows that trick...
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #106 on: 04 Apr 2018, 13:06 »

Add: when you've already started mixing ingredients only to realize you don't have a key one.
Nope. You may not personally finish the job in that case, but it's not universal.

The one time that happened to me, I covered the mixing bowl and ran to the store. Yes, the nearest store that was open was a 30 minute drive, but once I started making the cookies, I had to finish. The joys of OCD.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #107 on: 04 Apr 2018, 13:52 »

Has anyone else noticed Mrs. Augustus doing the Claireface in the second panel?  :claireface:
More like Claire frequently does a Momface.  Intellectual property an' all, y'know.

300 years ago in the same area she'd be known as Mother Gusta (the one with powers).  She was accused of witchcraft, but the magistrate was mighty fond of her cookies and had the accusers hanged instead.

Being a little pedantic, because that's just how I am, on the caption from yesterday's comic, that should be "drunk and disorderly".  :-P
It should be indeed, but O'Malley was still half snoggered when he wrote the report.
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2018, 14:01 by OldGoat »

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #108 on: 04 Apr 2018, 14:50 »

Add: when you've already started mixing ingredients only to realize you don't have a key one.
Nope. You may not personally finish the job in that case, but it's not universal.

The one time that happened to me, I covered the mixing bowl and ran to the store. Yes, the nearest store that was open was a 30 minute drive, but once I started making the cookies, I had to finish. The joys of OCD.

Picky note: they didn't say they wouldn't finish the job, only that it's a bad time to be making cookies. Possibly for the exact reason you've just described. BTW I would do exactly the same thing, and I am not OCD (not even in the trendy but medically incorrect sense of the word).
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #109 on: 04 Apr 2018, 15:48 »

Touché. I suppose that could be considered a bad time to bake cookies. At least until you've been to the store to get the missing ingredient.
However, I also disagree with a couple of the other "bad times to bake cookies."
When you nil past mouth.
1. You can never have too many cookies, so already having them doesn't mean it's a bad time to make more.
2. I have never seen the phrase "nil past mouth", but I assume they are referring to the medical term NPO (nil per os, which actually translates as "nothing by mouth", and is written out as the full phrase in medical documents), which is a very short-term situation - usually only 12 to 24 hours. I have been under that restriction a number of times - usually before having an MRI, but also before surgery. If you make the cookies while you are NPO, then you will have them waiting for you as soon as you're allowed to eat again. I suppose if you happen to be in the hospital at the time, then it would indeed be a bad time to bake cookies. But then again, any time you're in the hospital would be a bad time to bake cookies (and that one wasn't on their list).

TheEvilDog

« Reply #110 on: 04 Apr 2018, 16:24 »

Aaaaand the joke is dead.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #111 on: 04 Apr 2018, 16:45 »

Damn. Sorry. Time to bake cookies.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

heyjames4

« Reply #112 on: 04 Apr 2018, 16:48 »

I think the "o-oh! Clinton! Hello!" is Ms. A code-switching from "Clinton called ahead to crash.<Mom reflexes activated>" to "Clinton brought a girl home.<advanced mom reflexes activated>" to "be cool be cool don't come on too strong <reset advanced mom reflexes to passive mode>

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #113 on: 04 Apr 2018, 17:29 »

It should be indeed, but O'Malley was still half snoggered when he wrote the report.

Cutting in to say that 'Snoggered' is an excellent new euphemism that I will be incorporating into my vocabulary from this point on.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #114 on: 04 Apr 2018, 17:58 »

Cutting in to say that 'Snoggered' is an excellent new euphemism that I will be incorporating into my vocabulary from this point on.
You've never heard that one before? Yes, it is excellent. Snoggered/snockered has been around longer than I have. But it's kind of fallen out of use since the turn of the century. Does that put you in the under-thirty crowd?

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #115 on: 04 Apr 2018, 18:54 »

Now what ingredients are actually in these cookies?

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #116 on: 04 Apr 2018, 19:01 »

Giving ClintonMom an incipient mustache does not make her cuter.
(your mileage may vary)
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #117 on: 04 Apr 2018, 19:02 »

This explains why there were pancakes.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DaiJB

• Utterly clueless.
« Reply #118 on: 04 Apr 2018, 19:05 »

"...no more baking while baked..."  :laugh:
This is weird - I'm starting to really like Clinton. When did that happen??
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

SpanielBear

« Reply #119 on: 04 Apr 2018, 19:06 »

You've never heard that one before? Yes, it is excellent. Snoggered/snockered has been around longer than I have. But it's kind of fallen out of use since the turn of the century. Does that put you in the under-thirty crowd?

Sadly disqualified from the under-thirties, but only just. I'm from the East of England, so maybe that's it? We tend to be more... blunt in our descriptions of inebriation.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #120 on: 04 Apr 2018, 19:16 »

Called it.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #121 on: 04 Apr 2018, 19:18 »

I don't think I've come across that specific term for drunk/plastered/smashed/insert-your-favourite-term-here, but then again, it instantly sounded to me like an English word for "drunk", so maybe I have and it just got lost among its dozens of companions.

how did she know to open the door when Clinton was still at least ten feet away from the doorbell? 
Phone call/text message? If Clinton has learned from past experience he'd message first...

I missed this. I guess I got distracted by all that talk about cookies (which, by the way, is not a word I would use at home - I'd say "bikkies" - but I digress).

I just wanted to suggest that she probably just heard them talking as they approached. It's 1am, you could probably hear them from blocks away, even if they were speaking softly. And they are inebriated, so probably not.

I don't know about you, but in my younger days, my mother's ability to sense me or one of my brothers approaching the house at literally any time of day or night was uncanny, comparable only with my cats' ability to do the same thing.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to award Near Lurker a bikkie.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #122 on: 04 Apr 2018, 19:36 »

So today's comic completely confirmed my desire for a side storyline starring Ms. Augustus (how does she not have a first name yet?), the Bianchis, Veronica, Jim, Henry and Maurice. At this point they're just as interesting as most of the main cast.
Quis pater tibi est?

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #123 on: 04 Apr 2018, 19:47 »

It's probably pretty much a given Ms. Augustus will meet Marten's parents and their partners sooner or later.  Not sure about the Bianchis, though.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #124 on: 04 Apr 2018, 19:53 »

Picky note: they didn't say they wouldn't finish the job, only that it's a bad time to be making cookies. Possibly for the exact reason you've just described. BTW I would do exactly the same thing, and I am not OCD (not even in the trendy but medically incorrect sense of the word).

*Technically* I sent my brother to the store instead of going myself, but the point remains.  Yes, I did finish the cookies.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #125 on: 04 Apr 2018, 20:29 »

Is 'shnockered' a regional variant, then?

I'm used to hearing an 'sh' in there.

EDIT:typo fix
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2018, 20:51 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #126 on: 04 Apr 2018, 20:46 »

This might be just me, but I find that the more Melon appears, the less I like her.

It might be the off-the-wall nature or that she's so eccentric, but every time she's in a comic her likeability drops five points.

Again, that's probably just me.

I'm not even sure if Melon is a sentient. You'd sooner be able to convince me that Corpse Witch has consciousness.

Well, she doesn't exist, and a drawing on a computer is not sentient. Our gracious host has made it unmistakably clear that he's portraying them as metal and plastic versions of people. Bubbles feels emotional pain, Momo has a sense of mission in life, so on and so on.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SpanielBear

« Reply #127 on: 04 Apr 2018, 20:56 »

Melon is sentient, she just comes at reality at an oblique angle.

That way she can flank it, and gain advantage when she attacks.

So far, she and reality are engaged in an intense existential battle, and reality has yet to land a decisive blow.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #128 on: 04 Apr 2018, 21:02 »

I wondered that too, since she was apparently baking them for herself.

There is not a shred of evidence for this but I have an intuition out of nowhere that Brun is one of those people who has bad or at least idiosyncratic reactions to cannabis.

If Jeph goes down that road I will report him to the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Characters.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #129 on: 04 Apr 2018, 21:03 »

Is 'shnockered' a regional variant, then?

I'm used to hearing an 'sh' in there.

EDIT:typo fix
I've seen it spelled snoggered, snockered, shnockered, and schnockered. Dictionary.com shows both snockered and schnockered. But I've almost always heard it as shnoggered, even though I've never seen it written that way. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of regional variants, depending on how shnoggered the people are who are saying it.  ;)

OldGoat

« Reply #130 on: 04 Apr 2018, 21:23 »

I, too, find it to be excellent, but it's hardly new.  Early 20th Century if not older.  I'd considered using it's cousin "swacked" which seems to be of more recent vintage, circa the Second World War, but I decided snoggered was a better fit for our synthetic Irishman.

(My personal impressions only.  Someone must have made an academic study of terms describing states of inebriation.  I should find it.)

OldGoat

« Reply #131 on: 04 Apr 2018, 21:30 »

Comic's up.  So THAT's why Mom was up baking cookies!

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #132 on: 04 Apr 2018, 21:42 »

...but I decided snoggered was a better fit for our synthetic Irishman.
Indeed. Especially when you consider that the best guess for the word's origin is from an Irish word, snagaireact.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #133 on: 04 Apr 2018, 22:00 »

Since Clinton could smell cannabis in the air I think the cookies have no secret ingredients.  She doesn't know Brun well enough and wouldn't want to get her in trouble if she has to take a drug test in the immediate future.   

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #134 on: 04 Apr 2018, 23:12 »

Nothing about today's strip really surprises me. Every interaction the cast has had with Mrs A in the recent past has indicated that she's having a second adolescence of some kind. What today's strip reveals is that this is happening because, in some ways, she didn't have much of one in the first place. I'm wondering if she'd married Clinton and Claire's dad when she was quite young (got her MRS degree very early on in college, possibly)?

Meanwhile, Clinton is right: Making decisions when intoxicated is always a huge risk. This is mostly because being intoxicated makes bad choices seem like good choices and that's always a bad thing when making irrevocable choices. It's funny, in a way, just how many choices turn out to be irrevocable under specific and surprisingly common circumstances. For example: Dogs are good as companions; as space heaters, less so.

It was a good thing Clinton turned up when did as it may be that he has prevented his mother from turning into the neighbourhood's Crazy Dog Lady.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #135 on: 05 Apr 2018, 00:31 »

I have very little experience with the affects of pot, and none of it personal experience. Could the rambling of Mrs Agustus in the last two panels be considered typical behavior for someone who's only had a "little?"

Also, Mrs A, you don't need dogs for their body heat, you've got college boys. :P

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #136 on: 05 Apr 2018, 00:49 »

I have very little experience with the affects of pot, and none of it personal experience. Could the rambling of Mrs Agustus in the last two panels be considered typical behavior for someone who's only had a "little?"

Also, Mrs A, you don't need dogs for their body heat, you've got college boys. :P
I have limited direct experience (2 asthma attacks), but my older brother and most of his college buddies had "gatherings" (the statute of limitations has expired). It depends on the person and their mindset, but mostly 'yes'. The bit at the end is a stereotype for a reason.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #137 on: 05 Apr 2018, 00:54 »

Giving ClintonMom an incipient mustache does not make her cuter.
(your mileage may vary)

It is almost dali-esque.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #138 on: 05 Apr 2018, 01:10 »

For example: Dogs are good as companions; as space heaters, less so.

I don't know, my old Labrador positively radiated heat.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #139 on: 05 Apr 2018, 02:21 »

There's a reason why there's such a thing as a "three dog night".

(Basically, it means it's so cold that you need to have three dogs in bed with you to stay warm.)

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #140 on: 05 Apr 2018, 03:09 »

I missed this. I guess I got distracted by all that talk about cookies (which, by the way, is not a word I would use at home - I'd say "bikkies" - but I digress).

My grandma used to refer to chocolate biscuits as "choccy biccies", which I've always assumed was one of her Northernisms :')

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #141 on: 05 Apr 2018, 03:10 »

No, the slang term 'Bikkies' is used at least as far south as London!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #142 on: 05 Apr 2018, 04:13 »

No, the slang term 'Bikkies' is used at least as far south as London!

Sometimes airline stewards get referred to as "bikkie-chuckers".

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #143 on: 05 Apr 2018, 05:18 »

If Jeph goes down that road I will report him to the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Characters.

Oh, you mean the "James R.R. Martin Anti-Red Wedding Society"?

Or its comics counterpart, the "Charles M. Schulz Football Kicking Society"?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

OldGoat

« Reply #144 on: 05 Apr 2018, 05:38 »

Claire and Clinton have moved out.  Brun is still couch surfing at Renee's where there isn't really enough room for two people who aren't bunking together.  Mother A (she really needs a first name, Jeph) is empty-nesting and has two vacant rooms.

I think I may know where this is headed.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #145 on: 05 Apr 2018, 05:49 »

My grandma used to refer to chocolate biscuits as "choccy biccies", which I've always assumed was one of her Northernisms :')

Nothing specifically Northern about that; I say the same in Southern England.  And for me, "cookie" is a specific type of biscuit, generally rather large, slightly soft and almost but not quite gooey.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #146 on: 05 Apr 2018, 07:00 »

One also wonders where Clinton learned the scent of weed...

Tho admittedly, he's in college. Not THAT surprising.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #147 on: 05 Apr 2018, 07:58 »

To be fair, it has a very distinctive stench. I think the only way it's actually tolerable is if you're high enough to not care.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #148 on: 05 Apr 2018, 08:12 »

Maybe Clinton was just too drunk when he first walked in, or maybe the smell of freshly-baked cookies was just too strong, but I’m kinda surprised he didn’t notice the smell of pot right away. As cesium133 pointed out, it has a very distinctive stench.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #149 on: 05 Apr 2018, 09:10 »

Aaaaand the joke is dead.
No it's not!
It's getting better.

To be fair, it has a very distinctive stench. I think the only way it's actually tolerable is if you're high enough to not care.
That distinctive aroma is due to various volatile organic compounds of the Turpinol family. Yes that means they are chemically similar to turpentine.
As someone who grew up in the house of a painter of the housing variety you get inured used to that particular stench.
Mind, I have worked with licensed large scale commercial producers and dealing with the fumes on such a scale is a major headache in more ways than one.
One has gone so far as to try bubbling exhaust air in an attempt to scrub it while another wanted to use it in the gas heater air feed  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: 05 Apr 2018, 09:27 by Thrudd »
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up