THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you want to see wrapped up first?

Just what are Faye and Bubbles to each other?
- 31 (42.5%)
Will Roko ever find that intimate companion she wants?
- 9 (12.3%)
Will Melon be drawn into the core cast?
- 3 (4.1%)
When will Hannelore and Winslow return home?
- 5 (6.8%)
Will Dora need a new employee, if so, who?
- 0 (0%)
Is there anything left to develop with Marten and Claire?
- 3 (4.1%)
Just how will the Brun-Clinton-Elliott triangle resolve itself?
- 22 (30.1%)
Other (please specify in comment)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: (CW/TW: Abuse) WCDT strips 3731-3735 (30th April to 4th May 2018)  (Read 75750 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Jeph has a lot of plates spinning right now (and one or two that he could set in motion. Which open arc would you like to see reach some manner of a conclusion first?

If I'd like to see Roko's arc concluded first. Why? Because of all of the characters I mentioned in the poll, I think she is the one most genuinely suffering from it being unresolved. I guess I'm a softie really but I'd like to see her at least get out of her current 'I can't do this' behavioural lock in some way. Also, I think that it would be possible to close this arc of Roko's story the fastest; the other open arcs are really going to take a lot longer to address.

Regarding this week..? You know, I don't want to guess right now. However, I think that we're going to see more of Faye and Bubbles and I'd like to see more of Hannelore's travels too!
« Last Edit: 04 May 2018, 15:56 by Thrillho »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
Re: WCDT strips 3731-3735 (30th April to 4th May 2018)
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2018, 20:48 »

I agree with Ben - poor Roko's frustration is palpable.   She's also working in a socially isolating job that makes healthy relationships difficult to come by.

Oh Jeph, author of the QC universe, have mercy upon your daughter Roko and send her a good and regular shag.  So mote it be.

</blasphemy>

ImVeryAngryItsNotButter

• Plantmonster
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2018, 21:37 »

Oh boy, more Faye/Bubbles teasing that won't go anywhere. I sure do love it when webcomic authors toy with my emotions.  :psyduck:

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2018, 21:37 »

Panel 3 is hilarious, reminds me of that line from the original (good) Robocop. "Madam, you have suffered an emotional shock. I will notify a r*** crisis center."

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2018, 22:06 »

Is it just me or does Bubble's ponytail appear to be tensing up?  I know AIs can blush so I suppose that's a built in capability too. 

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2018, 22:22 »

I voted for Marten/Claire, mostly because I still regard Marten as part of the "main cast" (I even used to think of him as the main character, but that belief is long gone), and he hasn't got much spotlight for quite some time now. I realize that his and Claire's story might not be very high on everyone's priority list right now, but still…

Considering today's comic we might get more Faye/Bubbles this week, and I'm perfectly fine with that because Bubbles behavior towards Faye just has such an innocent quality to it… It's adorable.

efindumb

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2018, 22:26 »

Is it just me or does Bubble's ponytail appear to be tensing up?  I know AIs can blush so I suppose that's a built in capability too.

It's part of her face contorting in embarrassment over Faye's unintentional flirtations, it's little different than her eyebrows being raised as well

efindumb

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2018, 22:31 »

I voted for Marten/Claire, mostly because I still regard Marten as part of the "main cast" (I even used to think of him as the main character, but that belief is long gone), and he hasn't got much spotlight for quite some time now. I realize that his and Claire's story might not be very high on everyone's priority list right now, but still…

Considering today's comic we might get more Faye/Bubbles this week, and I'm perfectly fine with that because Bubbles behavior towards Faye just has such an innocent quality to it… It's adorable.

There's only two things Jeph can really do with the couple: split them up or marry them off. They are already sexual and live together, the next step forward is marriage. Conversely, the next step back is breaking up over something one of them may do but given the personalities, neither will break it off.

So they are stagnant, especially Marten. At least Claire has a chance to develop in other ways but Jeph isn't going down that road yet....perhaps a backstory arc?

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2018, 22:35 »

There's only two things Jeph can really do with the couple: split them up or marry them off. They are already sexual and live together, the next step forward is marriage. Conversely, the next step back is breaking up over something one of them may do but given the personalities, neither will break it off.

So they are stagnant, especially Marten. At least Claire has a chance to develop in other ways but Jeph isn't going down that road yet....perhaps a backstory arc?

They could have a fight that sends Claire into something of a panic because this is her first serious relationship and she's messing it up, but Marten has learned from Dora and Padma and does better about actively pursuing her to talk it out?
We know Claire's a grad student but we don't know how far into her program she is; she can freak out over what she's going to do next and how that's going to affect things with Marten.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2018, 22:40 »

DAMN IT FAYE....  :-D :lol: :laugh: :evil:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2018, 22:47 »

If Faye were a teenager I might think this was a way of getting an interested person to touch her.

Grown-up Faye would just come right out and ask.

Her subconscious has got to have figured out by now that Bubbles is Interested. Maybe it's directing her away from the ice pack and away from self-massage deliberately.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2018, 23:15 »

Remember, Faye told herself that Bubbles can't possibly be falling for her so she isn't going to admit to herself that this may have any content other than her friend massaging away a knot in her muscles. Meanwhile, I've got the feeling that Bubbles doesn't know at this point whether she's conscious or whether this is one of her most fevered fantasies coming true!

Why is Bubbles reluctant (other than her stated reasons)? I suspect that this is a bit too intimate a physical contact for her peace of mind. I suspect that she doesn't know if she'd be able to observe boundaries and is afraid that Faye will reject her when she goes too far, something that would probably be the most painful experience she can imagine.

The shipper in me makes me wonder if Bubbles will do something silly like 'try to kiss it better' after finishing the massage. Given the location, this could lead to... complications.
~~~~

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2018, 23:30 »

Mature behavior just isn't very entertaining.  If it was, Jerry Springer would have no television career.

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #13 on: 30 Apr 2018, 00:35 »

Bow-Chika-Wa-Wa.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2018, 01:48 »

Faye is definitely putting blinders on.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2018, 02:56 »

Probably TOTALLY over-thinking this, but...

I'd like the El/Bru/Clin triangle resolved mainly because this constant dancing around is starting to get a little dull.
I'd like to see Roko a bit more as I like the character.
Bubbles and Faye... Never liked the shipping of them, but still think Bubbles character is the best realised in the strip... and seeing Faye as a foil for this is really underusing her.
Marten/Claire... Purely for the strip's benefit, they need to split up. Of the male characters in the strip, all of them seem to be taking a back seat in recent times. I'm afraid I don't find many of them particularly interesting, but I always liked Marten's character (more relatable I suppose) and his relationship with Claire has thrown him so far into the background that his recent strip with Pintsize was like finding an old friend. The dynamics of Marten and Faye were always worth reading, and Marten and Dora was an excellent study of how a dysfunctional relationship can still work, and also be entertaining (and sometimes moving) to read. I always found the Marten/Claire dynamic dull... and their lack of strip time sort of backs that up.

I was going somewhere with this, but it took me so long to write the above, I forgot what it was...
Joy.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

efindumb

« Reply #16 on: 30 Apr 2018, 03:04 »

Mature behavior just isn't very entertaining.  If it was, Jerry Springer would have no television career.

And it's why Dora hasn't been featured in a long time, her Coffee of Doom appearances aside. The two most unstable characters have now turned into the most stable, while the most stable in the past has now turned into the most unstable...Faye's breakdown could have turned the world upside down!

efindumb

« Reply #17 on: 30 Apr 2018, 03:07 »

They could have a fight that sends Claire into something of a panic because this is her first serious relationship and she's messing it up, but Marten has learned from Dora and Padma and does better about actively pursuing her to talk it out?
We know Claire's a grad student but we don't know how far into her program she is; she can freak out over what she's going to do next and how that's going to affect things with Marten.

He has a limited range of options for her employment, either a public library or a college library. She could end up in a choice of moving away to accept the job or staying there and hoping a job opens up in the region...or in other words, it's Angus and Faye all over again.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2018, 03:13 »

Personally, I think that it is possible to do things with Marten and Dora without creating entirely artificial DRAMA! as that is, IMO, lazy writing.

My favourite Marten ideas is for him to pursue his musical ambitions (perhaps by writing works for Deathmřle or maybe Sven) or maybe stumbling backwards into music criticism and journalism by way of the Professor of Music at Smif being very impressed with is blog. With regard to Dora, I'd like for her and Tai to be seen confronting her parents and their role in Dora's neuroses.

Being a romantic at heart, I've long wanted an arc where Marten proposes to Claire at Coffee of Doom (after hiring the place for a 'private party', something that Dora never thought that would ever happen). Naturally, it all gets awkward because of the number of former crushes and GFs who end up attending to congratulate him and approve of his choice on several levels.
~~~~

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2018, 03:14 »

My birthday strip this year is more fuel on the Faye/Bubbles fire. I'm okay with this.

Has Bubbles always had the seam line around her pelvis? Or has it been hidden by shorts or trousers? It looks a little odd with the leotard, more action figure-y and less like she's wearing something.

Pennepasta

• Plantmonster
« Reply #20 on: 30 Apr 2018, 03:25 »

He has a limited range of options for her employment, either a public library or a college library. She could end up in a choice of moving away to accept the job or staying there and hoping a job opens up in the region...or in other words, it's Angus and Faye all over again.

Not as limited as it might appear. Academic libraries, be they college, school, or what, and public libraries, are, of course, both options, though pre 16 school libraries may require teaching qualifications. Then you've got the archivist side of things, private collections etc., As well as government or security side, but that requires moving, though local government records are an option.  Archivist or private collection (an example would be the local cathedral having archivists, as well as local stuff like whatever my partner worked for during her masters) would work locally, but what would change? How would a job change impact their relationship? Something like Tai leaving and Claire replacing her could be interesting. Or Claire becoming an actual librarian, as she'll be qualified for it soon. But would that provide interesting strips?

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #21 on: 30 Apr 2018, 03:25 »

Difference being, that Angus and Faye were at least an interesting read.
I always wondered if Angus was put on the bus because he was taking away from "Marten & Faye".

Problem now is, Faye's been reduced to a 2nd level 'shipping' fantasy and Marten is MIA.
I always kinda saw Marten as the Charlie Brown of this strip... the loveable 'loser' who always had problems with his relationships/friends... but now he's settled... and, sorry, but I don't find the bulk of the remaining characters that interesting. (So much so that I struggle to remember their names sometimes... I had to think for a good few mins to remember Marigold's name, and I cannot think what her "light glasses" boyfriends name is right now... (maybe it's an age thing)).

Bubbles, certainly, but not as shipper fodder.
Hanners, lots of potential.
But it seems to me that most of the AI cast have almost become the focus of the strip... they are far more interesting/amusing/entertaining than the bulk of the humans right now.

I think the fact is, simply, that Jeph writes really good emotional fraught material, and really funny character interaction skits. But, for a while now, everything has seemed a bit too... I dunno... "Run-on-Sit-Com-will-they-won't-they", for too many characters. (Certainly for the characters being focussed on for the last wee while.)
Covenant

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #22 on: 30 Apr 2018, 03:28 »

My birthday strip this year is more fuel on the Faye/Bubbles fire. I'm okay with this.

Has Bubbles always had the seam line around her pelvis? Or has it been hidden by shorts or trousers? It looks a little odd with the leotard, more action figure-y and less like she's wearing something.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  :)
Covenant

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #23 on: 30 Apr 2018, 05:27 »

Well that was unexpected, as avoidant as Faye had been I wouldn't have thought she'd do anything that could possibly come across as flirtatious. Especially after the previous comic...and I was surprised she said "maybe" then, too. Maybe she's starting to come around to the idea and cautiously exploring the edges.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #24 on: 30 Apr 2018, 05:30 »

Well that was unexpected, as avoidant as Faye had been I wouldn't have thought she'd do anything that could possibly come across as flirtatious. Especially after the previous comic...and I was surprised she said "maybe" then, too. Maybe she's starting to come around to the idea and cautiously exploring the edges.

That's the thing: Faye seems to have convinced herself that Bubbles can't be crushing on her. Because of that, she's failing to consider her actions carefully. So, she's responding to Bubbles' occasional flirtations and being unselfconscious around Bubbles because she doesn't consciously realise how bad (or good) that could be for their friendship.
~~~~

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #25 on: 30 Apr 2018, 07:47 »

Being a romantic at heart, I've long wanted an arc where Marten proposes to Claire at Coffee of Doom (after hiring the place for a 'private party', something that Dora never thought that would ever happen). Naturally, it all gets awkward because of the number of former crushes and GFs who end up attending to congratulate him and approve of his choice on several levels.
I like the first half of that, but the latter part seems a bit far-fetched. Other than Dora, the only ex Marten has in the area is Vicky (I think I remembered her name right), and it’s not likely anyone would invite her to a private party for Marten.

On a side-note, it occurs to me that Steve and Cosette are missing from the poll. Like Marten/Claire, their relationship seems to be in stasis right now, but it would be kind of interesting to see it progress. I don’t want them to break up, but if they did, it would be interesting to see Tortura’s reaction when she found out.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #26 on: 30 Apr 2018, 07:55 »

Some characters get fed to allosauruses. Others get fed to pigs.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #27 on: 30 Apr 2018, 08:09 »

That was Sara’s own fault for trying to make friends with the allosaurus in the first place.

I know that’s what Tortura said she would do, but it would be interesting to see if she’d follow through, or if — depending on the circumstances — she would instead give her a big hug and ask if she’s OK... sort of like Veronica did with Dora.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #28 on: 30 Apr 2018, 11:00 »

Happy Birthday! Hope its a fantastic day!

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #29 on: 30 Apr 2018, 11:57 »

That was Sara’s own fault for trying to make friends with the allosaurus in the first place.

I know that’s what Tortura said she would do, but it would be interesting to see if she’d follow through, or if — depending on the circumstances — she would instead give her a big hug and ask if she’s OK... sort of like Veronica did with Dora.

“Okay, girl? Will be all right. Come, we get coffee, talk about how men are scum. Feed you to pigs tomorrow.”
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #30 on: 30 Apr 2018, 12:39 »

That's the thing: Faye seems to have convinced herself that Bubbles can't be crushing on her. Because of that, she's failing to consider her actions carefully. So, she's responding to Bubbles' occasional flirtations and being unselfconscious around Bubbles because she doesn't consciously realise how bad (or good) that could be for their friendship.

For me, Faye's behaviour in her interaction with Bubbles screams 'freudian slip'.
I think both of them feel some kind of pull towards each other (Bubbles much more clearly than Faye) but neither of them wants to rock the boat.

That being said, I think their story arc should get resolved (or at least taken to the next a new stage of development) sooner rather than later.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2018, 12:56 by Bad Superman »

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #31 on: 30 Apr 2018, 12:39 »

Sigh.  Thinking about other people's romances, before they happen, annoys me.  A lot.  I wish people wouldn't. 

I think mostly it annoys me because of personal experience with it - people who've already decided who you should get together with, and it isn't them, are absolute poison. 

At best they're Clinton's overreaching sister who tries to set him up with someone because she can't resist meddling.  At worst they're the guy trying to assuage his own guilt for dumping his girlfriend, who still wants to get rid of her by pushing her together with you, who's then going to get emotionally abusive to drive her away, then call up drunk at 3 am to try to get her to come back, etc ad nauseam.  Why yes, I am thinking of someone specific.  Someone who is one of the reasons why I hate this kind of concern for other people's romances so much.

If I'm not personally the object of their attention, it's still just petty gossip, and it diminishes my perception of people when they behave like petty gossips.  I just wind up waiting for it to be over, and hoping people will stop behaving that way. 

So anyway....  To make it short, I'm uncomfortable with the shipping.  I dislike it, usually avoid threads where it's the main event, and sincerely miss the eager enforcement of the no-shipping rule this board used to have.  I personally find it upsetting when the main WCDT is mainly gossipy speculation about romantic/sexual relationships.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #32 on: 30 Apr 2018, 19:51 »

Happy birthday Welu!

Global Moderator Comment Morituri, we're listening. Finding the right level for anti-shipping vigilance has been a challenge.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #33 on: 30 Apr 2018, 20:09 »

I was sure Faye was trying to seduce Bubbles here.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #34 on: 30 Apr 2018, 20:23 »

Looks like Bubbles is just about ready to vent some steam!  Kind of reminds me of an old anime I liked, called (in English) "Heat-guy J".  About a very large combat android that worked with human sort-of-police.  Serious combat would cause a lot of heat to build up, and he'd have to vent it from a bunch of exaust pipes that would pop out of his "skin".  Made a noise like an air-raid siren having an orgasm.  Laughed 'til I cried the first time I heard it.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #35 on: 30 Apr 2018, 20:39 »

It's always satisfying when you make a girl make that noise with your fingers.  :-D

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #36 on: 30 Apr 2018, 20:48 »

My fundamental problem with the whole Faye/Bubbles ship is that Faye has more than once shown a negative response when someone brought up the idea of her hooking up with an AI. On one hand, she may be only irritated by the crude nature of the comments in question (understandably so, since one was from Pintsize, and another from May) - which is how the shippers have explained it away. On the other hand, she may, in fact, be truly uncomfortable with the whole idea, and not just the manner in which it was brought up.

Bubbles seems to indeed be leaning that direction, but I'm still not at all convinced that Faye feels the same way.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #37 on: 30 Apr 2018, 21:28 »

So, looks like we're gonna find out whether Bubbles' (presumably custom/milspec) chassis vents excess heat in the same way as Ofc. Basilisk's.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #38 on: 30 Apr 2018, 21:57 »

So, looks like we're gonna find out whether Bubbles' (presumably custom/milspec) chassis vents excess heat in the same way as Ofc. Basilisk's.

We've already seen that although I can't recall the strip. 

I'm not surprised Bubbles can give a good massage since those servos of hers were designed to deactivate bombs.  Perhaps a side business as a masseuse could tide over Union Robotics when business is slow.

Morituri

« Reply #39 on: 30 Apr 2018, 22:06 »

Finding the right level for anti-shipping vigilance has been a challenge.

Thanks.  I know it has.  I felt a sort of need to say something, just to prevent it from going unnoticed. But I accept that others have different opinions and that my preference of how to spend time and resources on this board is not more important than anyone else's. 

Whatever.  I shall do my best to ignore it and just let the story unfold at its own pace.  Maybe Jeph will resolve that particular question within a year.  Maybe not.  I'm fine either way. 

To everyone else?  I advocate avoiding getting so hung up on that one thing that it becomes difficult to appreciate the rest of the work that goes into it, anyhow. That's too easy once you start thinking of just that one thing as THE story.  But, you know, that's just my opinion.  You can use it if you like....

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #40 on: 30 Apr 2018, 23:28 »

Bubbles, for the record, that is Faye's 'Happy Button'. In future, if you want to make her forget what she's talking about and why, you need to press there. Ask Claire if you need advice on methodology as there's a similar control on the left side of Marten's neck.

Meanwhile, I'm guessing we've got a 'FWEEEE' coolant release in the future or whatever the human equivalent is from Faye!

Now, some 'is it just me?': In panel 2, does Faye collapse against Bubbles' leg because of her pressing said 'happy button'? From the change in the posture of her hips, I'd say 'yes'. It probably also indicates how focussed Bubbles is on not spooking and/or hurting Faye that she hasn't noticed yet.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2018, 01:23 by BenRG »
~~~~

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #41 on: 30 Apr 2018, 23:50 »

I think [Faye and Bubbles] story arc should get resolved (or at least taken to the next a new stage of development) sooner rather than later.

No, let it take its time. I'm enjoying the slow burn. (wherever it's going)
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #43 on: 01 May 2018, 01:09 »

Wasn't the usual forum accepted level of shipping to keep it topical about the current comics? There isn't much about the latest comics, except shipping fodder, and light speculation about this isn't far fetched. Speculation about other characters, who should break up, who should hook up, that's a little bit far imho. Even the speculation about Faye and Bubbles can be a bit too much, but at least it's what the current strips are about.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #44 on: 01 May 2018, 04:30 »

When I read this morning's comic I literally said 'AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW SHIT SON' out loud.

Then chastised myself via inner monologue over cultural appropriation, but you know.

I personally find it upsetting when the main WCDT is mainly gossipy speculation about romantic/sexual relationships.

The moderators are in discussion about this, but do bear in mind that the 'no shipping' rule was mainly due to how outlandish the shipping was; the strip is itself laying out a lot of potential relationships so it's become more complicated, but we're talking about it in the mod forum.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #45 on: 01 May 2018, 04:39 »

When I read this morning's comic I literally said 'AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW SHIT SON' out loud.

Then chastised myself via inner monologue over cultural appropriation, but you know.

I personally find it upsetting when the main WCDT is mainly gossipy speculation about romantic/sexual relationships.

The moderators are in discussion about this, but do bear in mind that the 'no shipping' rule was mainly due to how outlandish the shipping was; the strip is itself laying out a lot of potential relationships so it's become more complicated, but we're talking about it in the mod forum.

For the Bubbles / Faye thing... I can understand the shipping.
I just think it's gotten to a stage where people are putting things on characters (Faye) which I'm just NOT seeing. (I see no mutual romantic feelings on Faye's part.. others seem to...)

but whenever the shipping gets a bit much in here, I always think.. "At least it's not the DoA comments page."
Character A appears in frame.
Character B appears in frame.
Character A says something nice... or horrible... or comments on the weather.

3/4 of the comments = "THEY GONNA FUUUUUUUUUUU......"

Gets REALLY wearing...
Covenant

Vern LaVey

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #46 on: 01 May 2018, 09:09 »

If I'm not personally the object of their attention, it's still just petty gossip, and it diminishes my perception of people when they behave like petty gossips.  I just wind up waiting for it to be over, and hoping people will stop behaving that way. 

So anyway....  To make it short, I'm uncomfortable with the shipping.  I dislike it, usually avoid threads where it's the main event, and sincerely miss the eager enforcement of the no-shipping rule this board used to have.  I personally find it upsetting when the main WCDT is mainly gossipy speculation about romantic/sexual relationships.

I get the adversity towards random character shipping, but the current Faye/Bubbles plot is completely fueled by unresolved sexual tension.  It's living off of the hopes of the fan base, and Jeph is pretty obviously relishing the slow burn... the teasing. 

I can understand it making you uncomfortable, but going beyond that and saying that it "diminishes your perception" of those people who are allowing themselves to be engulfed in the story just seems douchey.  Again, this isn't some random fandom shipping, but the story that Jeph is telling. 

In other words... you're getting mad at the passengers on the Jeph-Bus for the direction they're going when they're just along for the ride.  It seems to me that at this point your problem is more with the driver.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #47 on: 01 May 2018, 09:26 »

I dunno, for all that our writer seems to be happily playing games with the shippers, I still think unrestricted submarine warfare is the right approach.

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #48 on: 01 May 2018, 09:55 »

That being said, I think their story arc should get resolved (or at least taken to the next a new stage of development) sooner rather than later.

I'm getting a bit bored of the drawn-out Faye/Bubbles ship tease, to be honest (though that's possibly because I'm not a particularly strong shipper of them), so I hope it gets resolved soon too. Was looking forward to this week's comics as I thought we were going to see more of what Hannelore had been up to, but I suppose there are still a few more days to go ^_^

Morituri

« Reply #49 on: 01 May 2018, 11:09 »

I guess my personal issues with people gossiping about / pushing for / each other's relationships get grounded here, and probably make me more sensitive to it than I have any good reasons to be.  "Diminishes my perception of" is literal truth, though it reveals a streak of intolerance in myself wider than I'd like.

I don't think it's a problem with where the story's going though; mostly I see it as a problem with people having picked something in the future as a "destination" and now being focused on the unseen destination rather than allowing themselves to enjoy the trip.

Where they see a "ship tease" I see characters in a relationship that now includes some tension and some attraction and some denial and some doublethink and some orientation/identity issues.  It's nuanced, and it's good character development, and the current situation is as much the "destination" as any other part of the trip.  So why doesn't anybody seem to appreciate the current situation as a thing in itself, instead of just as a transitory state toward what they imagine some future situation might be?

Everybody could see, a year ago or so, that Corpse Witch was in need of a swift buttkick out of Faye & Bubbles' life.  And just such a buttkick did eventually arrive.  But I don't recall any serious obsessing about what form and shape that buttkick would take or how it was going to be delivered or by whom or even when.  It wasn't a "tease", it was story development.  And people were interested in all the bits of story along the way.  People speculated about CW's past, about the skatepark's ownership, about what had been done to Bubbles, about whether CW was trying to get leverage over Faye, about past interactions between CW and the police, about corruption and complicity, etc etc etc, and it was all about the story as it was happening.  We didn't have everybody focused on the single future buttkicking event as the only possible point of the whole story.

Now they are focused on one thing.  They are focused on the development or non-development of romantic/sexual love between these characters.  And everything else is getting lost, or passing them by, without any thought or discussion or, it seems to me, even perception.  They are invested in particular outcomes, like romance or rejection etc, instead of being able to accept that good stories can be built around whatever outcome comes about.  That's even true if the "outcome" is  long-term continuation of the tension, since after all the author may be telling a DIFFERENT story using the tension for character depth to inform how these characters see someone ELSE's situation.

To me the sexual/romantic aspect of this character relationship is one topic.  It's about five percent of what there is to discuss.  It's in the future and a bunch of other things are in the present.  When fifty percent of the discussion is used to talk about five percent of the subject matter, I get impatient and wonder why people are being so willfully blind to everything else.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up