THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If QC were adapted into a "kid friendly" animated series, how would you like to see the cast portrayed?

cartoony humans
anthropomorphic ducks
anthropomorphic dogs
anthropomorphic cats
anthropomorphic mice
anthropomorphic reptiles
an assortment of anthropomorphic animals
cutesy monsters

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3741 to 3745 (May 14th - 18th 2018)  (Read 92827 times)

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: WCDT strips 3741 to 3745 (May 14th - 18th 2018)
« Reply #50 on: 14 May 2018, 15:25 »

Tilly, Tai and Faye seem to be very similar art these days.

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #51 on: 14 May 2018, 19:23 »

JEPH YOU COMPLETE AND UTTER BAST...

(Ahem.)

Comic's up.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #52 on: 14 May 2018, 19:34 »

WELP.

At least she was looking for Bubbles instead of booze!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #53 on: 14 May 2018, 19:37 »

I thought this might be a good moment to reflect on just how far Bubbles has come.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #54 on: 14 May 2018, 19:39 »

A delight and a relief.

Tai is there to mediate the Awkward Conversation that's about to happen. With these two, having a third party around is likely to help.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #55 on: 14 May 2018, 19:44 »

I wanna see kisses!!!! Kisses, kisses, kisses.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #56 on: 14 May 2018, 19:49 »

I thought this might be a good moment to reflect on just how far Bubbles has come.

She showed hardly any emotion at first! She's come so far. If you look at her facial expressions there and in the most recent comic, wow, can't even believe that's the same Bubbles. She has really come a long way!

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #57 on: 14 May 2018, 19:51 »

(Ahem.)

Comic's up.
You were about to say "bastion of suspense", right?
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

Zelia

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #58 on: 14 May 2018, 19:52 »

(Ahem.)

Comic's up.

Cut to Steve eating cereal. For the rest of the week.

SpanielBear

« Reply #59 on: 14 May 2018, 19:54 »

I am contemplating that it may not be Faye.

Turns out, Bubbles' unit didn't all die. There was a survivor, and they have finally tracked her down.

"Drama Drama Drama Drama Drama Chameleon..."

(Sorry Case)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #60 on: 14 May 2018, 19:58 »

(Ahem.)

Comic's up.

Cut to Steve eating cereal. For the rest of the week.

Every time someone makes this joke, Jeph delays the resolution of this storyline for another strip.  :mrgreen:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #61 on: 14 May 2018, 20:00 »

The reason Steve hasn't been seen in a while is he died of a cereal overdose.  :cry:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #62 on: 14 May 2018, 20:01 »

I am contemplating that it may not be Faye.

My thought is that if it isn't Faye it's Spookybot.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #63 on: 14 May 2018, 20:03 »

Yeah, Faye wouldn't just be like "there you are!" after their previous interaction. She'd be like "Bubs?"

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #64 on: 14 May 2018, 20:19 »

Spookybot wouldn't say "there you are!" either. Spookybot always knows where everyone is.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

ImVeryAngryItsNotButter

• Plantmonster
« Reply #65 on: 14 May 2018, 20:20 »

Turns out, Bubbles' unit didn't all die. There was a survivor, and they have finally tracked her down.

Oh, that would be very interesting indeed. Ever since the revelation that Corpse Witch deleted her memory wholesale, Bubbles has taken for granted that she's lost all connection to her past. But the past has a way of catching up with you, and (especially in this case) not always for the worse.

But (sadly) I don't think that's what's about to happen. If Bubbles doesn't have any memory of her comrades' faces, she wouldn't recognize a survivor at first glance. So she wouldn't have the sort of immediate reaction to seeing them again as she does in the fourth panel.

Hypersapien

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #66 on: 14 May 2018, 20:20 »

Calling it now. That's not Faye at the door. It's someone from Bubbles' past that we've never seen before who is going to complicate the Faye/Bubbles storyline.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #67 on: 14 May 2018, 20:24 »

Quote from: Fitzwilliam Darcy
`I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.''

tut21

• Plantmonster
« Reply #68 on: 14 May 2018, 20:28 »

That fourth panel is lovely.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #69 on: 14 May 2018, 20:33 »

Sorry guys, I can't seem to stop doing these...

DaiJB

• Utterly clueless.
« Reply #70 on: 14 May 2018, 21:20 »

"But I do not know what to do with them!"

Boy, story of my life...   :-P

"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #71 on: 14 May 2018, 21:33 »

According to strip http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3004 her armourcan resist a 3 cm APFSDS round.

However, that same comic also claims she gives terrifying backrubs.

Unless they mean "terrifyingly pleasurable...." :-)
Well... Faye ran away after one of Bubbles backrubs and freaked out about her feelings. I think "terrifying" still fits - even if it wasn't terrifying in the way we might have expected.  :-P

I also admit to being impressed by Tai (and Dora) here - I never thought that Tai would be a good person for Bubbles to talk to in this situation but she's been excellent.

And damn that cliffhanger! I think it is Faye and that her exclamation "There you are!" is an indication that she's been looking around town (getting more and more worried) since she got back to their workshop and discovered Bubbles was missing.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #72 on: 14 May 2018, 21:36 »

Calling it now. That's not Faye at the door. It's someone from Bubbles' past that we've never seen before who is going to complicate the Faye/Bubbles storyline.
Oh, that would just be the ultimate cruelty. Not even Jeph is that sadistic.

...or is he?

DaiJB

• Utterly clueless.
« Reply #73 on: 14 May 2018, 21:37 »

"If QC were adapted into a "kid friendly" animated series..."
 :?
I'm sorry, I can't do the poll this week - every time I read the line above, my mind starts flashing warning lights, smoking,  and intoning "Does Not Compute" while spraying punch cards all over the floor (Yeah, my hardware is that old).

"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

efindumb

« Reply #74 on: 14 May 2018, 22:01 »

She showed hardly any emotion at first! She's come so far. If you look at her facial expressions there and in the most recent comic, wow, can't even believe that's the same Bubbles. She has really come a long way!

Is sarcasm an emotion? Or humorous retorts?

efindumb

« Reply #75 on: 14 May 2018, 22:03 »

The reason Steve hasn't been seen in a while is he died of a cereal overdose.  :cry:

Maybe he's patching up the hole that Melon made? Or he's out buying more cereal after Melon ate the rest?

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #76 on: 14 May 2018, 22:03 »

Sarcasm was her main language and emotion when she first met Faye. She was super guarded around Faye too, just look at them now.

efindumb

« Reply #77 on: 14 May 2018, 22:05 »

Spookybot wouldn't say "there you are!" either. Spookybot always knows where everyone is.

True...but Spooky did seem to have a flair for the dramatic so it's still possible even if unlikely.

Of course, it could always be someone we didn't expect- like maybe May? or Momo?

Onionvolcano

• Plantmonster
« Reply #78 on: 14 May 2018, 22:06 »

I realize it's not the spirit of the story, but we've seen several AI characters switch bodies.  Gender is just another choice for the wearer.  If Bubbles uploads into a hunky male firefighter-bot, would things go more smoothly?

efindumb

« Reply #79 on: 14 May 2018, 22:07 »

"If QC were adapted into a "kid friendly" animated series..."
 :?
I'm sorry, I can't do the poll this week - every time I read the line above, my mind starts flashing warning lights, smoking,  and intoning "Does Not Compute" while spraying punch cards all over the floor (Yeah, my hardware is that old).

It's 90s MTV or 2000s Adult Swim adult-centric comedic animated show or bust, there's no way it could be adapted to a teen animated show like "6 Teen" or "Total Drama" let alone a "kid friendly" one.

efindumb

« Reply #80 on: 14 May 2018, 22:09 »

I realize it's not the spirit of the story, but we've seen several AI characters switch bodies.  Gender is just another choice for the wearer.  If Bubbles uploads into a hunky male firefighter-bot, would things go more smoothly?

Actually, I think it's in the spirit of the story and totally relevant and would open up a whole new avenue of discussion.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #81 on: 14 May 2018, 22:15 »

But is gender a choice for the wearer? It's a software construct, but that doesn't mean that they can change it at will. It could very well be Read-Only.

Take Winslow, for example. His original chassis - an overgrown iPod - had no gender-specific features, but he still identified as a boy.

So if an AI that is coded as female gets put into a male body, it might cause a software/hardware conflict.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #82 on: 14 May 2018, 22:17 »

I mean...yes and no. I think the "spirit" that an AI has is male or female. Sure, an AI can switch bodies, but how they feel remains the same, I think. I don't think Bubbles or Roko or Momo would feel comfortable presenting as male, because fundamentally they are not.

I feel like it's sort of like how I could undergo gender reassignment surgery, but I wouldn't be comfortable or happy with myself afterwards. I'm comfortable as female and being a woman, and undergoing surgery wouldn't make me feel male, just dysphoria.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #83 on: 14 May 2018, 22:35 »

I disagree. Winslow identified himself as a boy before getting a humanoid chassis. Pintsize seems to be in a genderless chassis but identifies himself as male. It is explained in 347 that gender is software dependent, not hardware; though Winslow stating "I think I'm a boy" suggests that Jeph may be changing that dynamic somewhat as he humanizes the AI characters (and maybe due to taking a more nuanced approach to gender identity in general, e.g. Claire). And Bubbles seems pretty well integrated with her body. Perhaps not as much so as Roko, but certainly more so than Punchbot (who seems completely unfazed by massive physical trauma).

Regardless of how gender functions with AI, should Bubbles fundamentally alter who she is for the sake of Faye's comfort? Even if it was as easy as altering a line in a config file, is it appropriate to treat it as casually as changing shirts?

(Awgiedawgie and Fayelovesbubbles beat me to it, so a massive "Hell, yeah!" to the both of them)

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #84 on: 14 May 2018, 22:49 »

(Awgiedawgie and Fayelovesbubbles beat me to it, so a massive "Hell, yeah!" to the both of them)
Great minds think alike.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #85 on: 14 May 2018, 23:10 »

I disagree. Winslow identified himself as a boy before getting a humanoid chassis. Pintsize seems to be in a genderless chassis but identifies himself as male. It is explained in 347 that gender is software dependent, not hardware; though Winslow stating "I think I'm a boy" suggests that Jeph may be changing that dynamic somewhat as he humanizes the AI characters (and maybe due to taking a more nuanced approach to gender identity in general, e.g. Claire). And Bubbles seems pretty well integrated with her body. Perhaps not as much so as Roko, but certainly more so than Punchbot (who seems completely unfazed by massive physical trauma).

Regardless of how gender functions with AI, should Bubbles fundamentally alter who she is for the sake of Faye's comfort? Even if it was as easy as altering a line in a config file, is it appropriate to treat it as casually as changing shirts?

There's also Bubbles' attachment to her chassis - she doesn't have the memories and she no longer wears her armor, so her chassis is in some ways her only link to her past.  I don't care how much she loves Faye or Faye loves her, asking her to give that up so she can present as male to be more appealing/comfortably appealing to Faye is just wrong.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #86 on: 14 May 2018, 23:17 »

There's the rub; Bubbles has realised that she isn't as good at controlling her feelings (or at preventing her feelings from affecting her behaviour) than she anticipated. Now, she's terrified that she's scared Faye off and... wow, the way her voice hitches when she mentions Faye touched her back! Whether or not her chassis has a pleasure response to such contacts, she definitely was able to fill in the blanks!

I find it an interesting subtlety the way that Jeph drew Bubbles fiddling nervously with her hair. He's going to a lot of effort to demonstrate just how strongly Faye and Bubbles are being affected by their shifting feelings (and, more importantly, their shifting awareness of them) is affecting their calm and thinking.

Now, I'm going to insist on Jeph making a confession: Jeph, you made Bubbles' hair longer simply because you wanted to draw her hair swirling around her dramatically the way it is in panel 4, didn't you? :-D
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #87 on: 14 May 2018, 23:17 »

It's super nice that the Coffee of Doom staff set up a "Bubbles' Hair" sign for us to really draw attention to the significance of her letting it down.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #88 on: 14 May 2018, 23:17 »

One wrinkle is that 347 came from a time when Jeph was handling AnthroPCs completely differently from today and it may no longer be canon.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bollthorn

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #89 on: 14 May 2018, 23:20 »

Love panel 4. Bubbles looks lovely with her hair down.

Also please be Faye please be Faye please be Faye please be Faye
"Oh Eddie... Why are you an alcoholic?"

"... Because I drink a lot."

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #90 on: 15 May 2018, 00:45 »

One wrinkle is that 347 came from a time when Jeph was handling AnthroPCs completely differently from today and it may no longer be canon.

That's very true, and I did admit that other events suggest that Jeph was moving away from his initial stance on AI gender. But I think that the way he is developing AI characters and his approach to gender in general suggests to me that he would be moving towards a position more closely resembling gender essentialism rather than further from it. If Jeph treated gender as being something independent of the chassis even then, I cannot imagine he would do otherwise now, especially considering his marvelous handling of Claire and her relationship with her body.*

*I am thinking specifically of Claire and Marten's first night of sexual intimacy and Claire disrobing and saying "this is me". Jeph's decision to not reveal the status of her transition and subsequent refusal to do so is really powerful for me. It is a meaningful declaration that the particular shape of her body has nothing to do with her being a woman. I simply cannot believe he would do any different for Bubbles.

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #91 on: 15 May 2018, 01:08 »

Dear Mr Word-of-God Creator Almighty Sir: this is no time for vacation or any other distractions! We are on the edge of a several year long plot, and we can't have any delays in postings because you are brushing a yak or sampling ham at some space station! Please stay focussed...

Pennepasta

• Plantmonster
« Reply #92 on: 15 May 2018, 03:04 »

I'd have thought he'd have had enough training to take out a cereal killer by now...

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #93 on: 15 May 2018, 04:12 »

I think Bubbles' hair getting longer is part of her becoming more comfortable in herself. Like being more expressive and laughing and bonding with Faye. I think her hair is a good representation of that.

Think about this, can you imagine old Bubbles (when she first met Faye) with a ponytail? I can't.

mephron

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #94 on: 15 May 2018, 04:44 »

Maybe it’s Claire, who Marten called not knowing about the Code 3.  She stumbles a lot, but if Marten has to hold down the library with Tai away (with a “gotta go” as all they know, Claire has the kind of empathy to help.

The background change kind of points to Spooky, though.

heyjames4

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #95 on: 15 May 2018, 06:27 »

I've said it before. But I'm really impressed with how the art is these days. Not just the anatomy, but the scene composition and body language and faces. These days you barely need the dialogue to get the characters emotiosn and the gist of the story. It's a big change from the days of standing around a couch covered in verbose word bubbles.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #96 on: 15 May 2018, 06:47 »

Like the dramatic anime lighting in the last panel.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #97 on: 15 May 2018, 06:59 »

Now we just need to see who it is...

maxRNG

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #98 on: 15 May 2018, 09:03 »

While I agree that "There you are!" isn't exactly in character for Faye, the next strip (as per Patreon preview) is titled "Act Natural," so this person being Faye could work if she's putting up an act. The other reason I think that it might be Faye and not Marty or Claire or someone else is that I can't think of anyone else who would elicit such a reaction from Bubs. Any of them coming in in response to the code 3 would be in character, but the framing of the last panel wouldn't make sense, although Jeph has trolled us like this in the past (looking at you, early Marty/Claire interactions).
It's super nice that the Coffee of Doom staff set up a "Bubbles' Hair" sign for us to really draw attention to the significance of her letting it down.
Take a closer look, it says "Bubbles' Chair." The partial obstruction of the C could be Jeph drawing attention to it, but even if that isn't the case, the sign does still show how CoD sees Bubbles not just as a regular, but an important part of the community.
"I need pancakes before I can process this."

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #99 on: 15 May 2018, 09:04 »

I always say Jeph is at his absolute best when writing for Bubbles.

Today's strip cements that belief into place so firmly I can't move!

Love.
It.

(Yeah... is it or is it not Faye? Whoever it is, I see hugs in the near future! :) )
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up